Patterns and process description
There is nothing difficult to sew a lounger from several parts. For example, from a rectangular bottom and four stripes for the sides, this is the standard version, uncomplicatedly convenient and suitable for dogs of any size:
But you can cut the most painstaking and difficult part of the work. stitching the parts together. You will have to devote a little more time to cutting, but cutting out is easier and easier than cutting and stitching. The picture below shows how to sew a lounger (rectangular or square with sides) using just one piece:
- Cut out two rectangles from a solid canvas. To find out the dimensions, add the height of the sides (from 4 sides) to the desired dimensions of the berth;
- Cut off the corners as in the picture. Or leave it if the density of the filler allows you to make a fold;
- We sew parts along the perimeter of the bottom, on three sides. We put the filler in the resulting “”, sew up the last side of the bottom;
- We fill the sides, we sew. We get a rectangle with pot-bellied protrusions;
- In the corners we insert zippers with clamps or drawstrings. The clasp tightens the edges and raises the sides vertically. the lounger is ready! When it’s hot, the cozy lounger can be turned into a mattress by lowering the sides.
If you tightly sew the joints in those places where, according to the idea of the lightning, you get an ordinary rectangular bed with sides from one piece. If you do not cut out the corners and do not raise the sides, you get a cozy lounger-mattress:
Option 2, removable with elastic
The following pattern for a dog bed seems more complicated, but in reality everything is very simple. It turns out an option with a pallet, which can be used as a wooden or plastic box. And even a tight box is suitable for small dogs. You can paste over it with tape in several layers. the cardboard will last longer. It will turn out like this, but in a rectangular shape:
ВЛЮБЛЕН ПО СОБСТВЕННОМУ ЖЕЛАНИЮ (советский фильм мелодрама комедия 1982 год)
Wide ribbed sides will hide a box or box completely, so you don’t have to look for something visually decent. Before making a sunbed, make sure that the selected box is not too tight for the dog. soft sides will reduce the space. Now measure the box. bottom length / width (inside) and side height. The outer sides of the lounger should be slightly longer, because the assembly on an elastic band eats up a couple of centimeters. We transfer the pattern to the fabric, you will need two parts.
- We sew the bottom on three sides, lay it with filler, sew it up;
- We fill with padding polyester (or whatever you like better) the inner walls of the lounger, sew it up. Now the outer walls are sewn up too. The longitudinal seam between the inner and outer walls will allow the cover to bend without clumping the filler and fabric.
- We sew the joints of the sides to make a cover. We put it on the box, insert an elastic band and pull it so that the edges of the bed fit snugly against the sides of the box, but the cover could be removed if desired without breaking the elastic.
Oval or round loungers are even easier to assemble. Again two details. two identical circles / ovals. Detail size: sleeping area height of sides.
- We lay the bottom with filler and tightly sew the two parts together, along the inner circle;
- We fill the side and sew, passing an elastic band or lace along the edge of the outer circle. If you divide the board into “s” (sewn with transverse seams at an equal distance), the bed will turn out to be more voluminous and softer;
- We tighten the elastic by lifting the side. Done!
Tools and materials
- wooden bars;
- mesh. for small breeds with small cells, for large ones you can take more;
- plastic side;
- furniture hinges;
- construction stapler.
The amount of all materials will depend on the size of your pet.
Making the cage ourselves
The cage can be made by hand. Surely on the farm there is an old fence net or an armored bed in order to make a home for your beloved animal with your own hands. over, cages can be expensive, so making a pet cage with your own hands is a good option to save money.
First, you should consider the size of the pet, so you can use the following recommendations:
- With an animal weighing less than five kilograms, it is worth making a cage with dimensions of 56 x 33 x 41 centimeters. These dimensions are well suited for Chihuahuas, Yorkies, Toy Terriers and other crumbs.
- An animal from 7 to 12 kg will feel comfortable with a crate of 62 x 39 x 48 centimeters. Basenji, Bigley, Pug, Fox Terrier. breeds for which a crate of this size is suitable.
- For a pet weighing 13 to 17 kilograms, build a device with dimensions of 77 x 49 x 53 centimeters, which is ideal for French Bulldogs, Cocker Spaniels, Mittelschnauzers and so on;
- For huge favorites, it is worth building a crate with dimensions of 138 x 95 x 115 centimeters. A great device suitable for Neapolitan Mastiffs, St. Bernards, Great Danes and others.
How to train your pet to crate?
There are also a couple of tips on how to crate train your dog:
- the pet should not be left locked up for more than three hours a day; over time, the length of stay can be increased;
- you do not need to be led by the whining and barking of an animal, since this will definitely become a habit and the dog will simply manipulate you;
- you do not need to use the cage as a punishment, as well as transferring a sleeping baby into it. you will lose the pet’s trust.
We bring to your attention a video that shows how to train your pet.
Why does a dog need a cage?
A cage for a dog is necessary, firstly, because in many ways such an animal is a predator, and they just need a den. Surely you have noticed more than once how the dog is looking for a secluded spot under the sofa or closet. Secondly, even if the favorite is large, he is strong and formidable, but in many ways he is a child. The animal needs a personal space in which it will not be touched.
Therefore, cages for dogs are an appropriate thing both in the apartment and in the yards. over, many veterinarians believe that such a device can help with mutual understanding between the owner and the animal itself. So you can strengthen friendship, because who, if not the owner, lets the pet out of the crate? Who then feeds him deliciously? It is he, the owner.
Naturally, with such a content, a measure is needed: you should not keep the animal constantly in a cage. But in the case when you have a little extravagant who can mess up at night, why not lock him up. The crate is also necessary if the pet lives with a family where there is a small child. Agree, protecting each other from extreme attention is very important.
Crates are also required for transportation. Transporting the dog is a delicate thing, and the cage will allow you not to worry about the dog staining the whole car with its saliva or biting someone. There are many reasons why such a transportation vehicle would be appropriate, such as transporting a pet to exhibitions and competitions. And at the event itself, an exhibition cage will come in handy.
- First you need to take measurements of the pet.
- DIY drawings or just figure out how you would like to see the cell.
- We take wooden blocks and build simple frames according to the given dimensions with our own hands in accordance with the drawings. You need to make 4 pieces for the walls and 1 each for the floor and roof.
- From the inside, with our own hands, we tighten the frames with a mesh using a stapler.
- On top of the fastening with our own hands, we close the edge of the mesh with a plastic rim.
- We connect the frames to each other.
- We fasten the side where the cage door will be with hinges.
- We put the dog bed and its toys inside. Done!
What are the cells?
Having asked themselves this question, for sure a lot of people will think about a huge box that stands in the house and takes up a lot of space. However, this opinion is erroneous, because there are many types of such structures. There are cages that are created for keeping animals at home, such, yes, they are huge in size. But there are carriages that are designed to make life easier for the owner while traveling. If you are the owner of large breeds, such transportation can be equipped with special wheels so that you can safely ride your dog to the car.
You can also find an exhibition tent tent. ideal for traveling by car to nature or competitions. Such an exhibition cage-tent can serve not only as a home for a pet, but also protect it from heat or rain. Such an exhibition device is more expensive than other types of cages, however, the price in this case is fully justified.
The foldable metal dog cage is indispensable for traveling by car with a large dog. Such transportation is very durable, it will be able to withstand the onslaught of even the largest animal. Today, such transportation is very popular for transporting animals.
What materials at hand can be made?
When choosing material for making a dog bed, listen to the recommendations of experts.
- It should be a fabric that is comfortable for the dog. Especially careful selection of material is required for short-haired breeds. The pile should not cause irritation, the canvas should not be squeaky. Consider options that are resistant to abrasion, clawing and brushing.
- For smooth-haired breeds, it is recommended to choose materials that store and retain heat. These include flock, velor, plush, felt, velveteen. Faux fur can be made for dogs that sleep warm, but this material should be avoided if the bed is made for pets with allergies.
- For long-haired dogs, beds made of smooth but dense material, such as linen, jeans, tapestry, are suitable.
- Comfortable, warm and soft padding will be made of foam rubber, padding polyester, batting, holofiber. Do not use fluff or straw as they can harbor bacteria and insects.
- Try not to use synthetic fabrics, they build up static electricity and can scare your pet. In addition, this material can provoke allergies in the animal.
There are many options, you just have to show your imagination.
In addition to the above materials, in the manufacture of a homemade couch, you will need other means: threads, scissors, paper for patterns. All this is in every home, and paper can be replaced with an ordinary newspaper. Before drawing up a project and choosing a material, it is worthwhile to study the varieties of dog loungers.
- Pillow. Suitable for both large and small dogs. It is carried out quickly, just stuffed with foam rubber or padding polyester. Doesn’t take up much space, you can just put it in the dog’s basket.
- A sunbed with a side. It is a bed with “walls”. Sometimes it can be made from the above cushion, embedded in a base with sides. Plywood or corrugated board is used as a base.
- House. Usually created for small breed dogs. Time-consuming to manufacture. Sewing can be carried out by taking a base, for example, a box. For warmth, you can lay out sheepskin or faux fur inside.
- Wooden bed. This version is made for large breed guard dogs. A wooden lounger is often installed on the street next to the booth or directly in the aviary. A more complex variety. For manufacturing, you will need wood, self-tapping screws, an electric screwdriver and other tools.
We suggest trying to make one of three options for home dog beds. simple, complicated and complex. To create the most ordinary sunbed, you need an old knitted sweater. There are several steps to follow.
- Stitch horizontally from one armpit to the other. You should get two parts, among which the lower one will become the bottom, and the sleeves and the chest area will become bumpers.
- Stuff the bottom with the materials suggested above, or use an old pillow that matches the size. Sew the resulting “bag” tightly with threads or pull off with a string.
- Sew the sleeves to each other in such a way that they form the so-called pipe, which also needs to be filled with filler through the collar. The more elastic the sides are, the more durable and comfortable the product will be for the dog.
- Sew the neckline and fasten the sides obtained from the sleeves around the perimeter of the lounger.
It will take about half an hour to make such a bed, and even a child can cope with this task.
A pet will definitely appreciate a homemade bed.
A slightly sophisticated model can be made from old jeans. Step-by-step instructions for creating a denim bed:
- cut old jeans into 12 identical rectangles 24 cm high;
- attach the strips to each other with the front sides and sew their edges, iron the seams;
- from the sewn flaps, one strip with a length of about 150 cm should be obtained;
- sew the ends of the strip into a ring;
- cut out a circle with a radius of 24 cm from jeans. if the length is not enough, then you can create the missing parts using the applique;
- lay a layer of padding polyester and an old towel in the bottom area, sew two circles with the filler hidden inside;
- bend the side in half and sew to the bottom, and when about 10 cm remains to be sewn, fill the side with padding polyester, you can use a stick or wire for stuffing;
- sew up the remaining hole, if there are unused ends, cut them off, or sew into the sides.
This option can be used from two different sides. with or without bumpers. Depending on the size of the dog, the parameters of the bed may vary. This option is made for miniature breeds.
A more complex model for resting a dog is a house. It will take a little more time and materials. To create a house, follow these steps:
- pick up fabric for upholstery, fold it in half, draw a pattern in a size that is comfortable for the dog;
- cut out all parts with seam allowances;
- cut out the same parts from a dense sheet of foam rubber, but less by a couple of centimeters than the fabric elements;
- sheathe all foam parts with fabric cutouts, fasten them securely.
The house is ready, but for convenience, you can put a pillow or blanket inside. Alternatively, one of the sides can be zipped.
In this case, in the house it will be possible to easily clean up or get out of there things that the dog hid in his den.
Instructions for making a wooden couch
For large dogs, it is impractical to make a soft bed, since under the large weight of the animal, the structure crumples and quickly becomes unusable. For a dog bed to last longer, it is recommended that it be made of wood. This option is perfect for both a domestic dog and an outdoor dog. A rigid wooden frame will allow a large animal to comfortably accommodate. Follow these steps to create a cozy dog resting place.
- Prepare boards of the correct size. To do this, you can take old pallets, disassemble them into parts, sand them well and cut them into boards of suitable parameters.
- Sand the workpieces so that the dog does not get hurt by burrs.
- There should be four blanks in total: the bottom and sides on three sides. skillful craftsmen can surround all four sides with bumpers by making an entrance in one of the walls.
- Do not use nails for fastening, but self-tapping screws, as nails can injure the dog. Drill holes in the material, deepen the heads of the self-tapping screws as much as possible so that the pet does not cling to them.
- To strengthen the strength of the structure during assembly, use metal corners.
The simplest wood dog bed is ready. For convenience, you can attach a cabinet next to it, in which toys for the dog will be stored. And also some craftsmen adapt the bed to wheels. so it can be moved around the apartment during rearrangement.
Do not forget to cover the bed with a blanket on top to create a cozy atmosphere.
If you have experience with wood, then you can try to make a two-story structure for several dogs. In this case, a wooden staircase will lead to the second level. You can make a similar structure for one dog, but place, for example, bowls for food and water on the ground floor. Then the building will look like a whole dog’s corner.
If the size of the dog allows, then when creating a wooden couch, you can limit yourself to a simple wooden box turned over to the bottom. Another option is to make the bed from solid wooden pallets. In this case, four pallets are required: one base and three sides. The shape of the pallets visually resembles a classic children’s bed, which looks very aesthetically pleasing. You can paint all the material in your favorite color, and varnish it on top.
Pros and cons
Among the minuses, we can only note that it will take some time to create. However, it can be turned into a plus. After all, you can involve children in work by spending a pleasant family evening with them making a bed for a pet.
By the way, pet owners know that their pets love to sleep on the owner’s clothes. The fact is that four-legged friends, in the absence of the owner, experience melancholy and boredom. Clothes that have fallen to the floor smells like their loved one, so dogs and cats love to relax on the owner’s things. In this regard, a homemade bed made from the owner’s old clothes will appeal to the dog much more than a purchased copy.
Another plus in favor of any bed is keeping the wool in one place. A dog that has no place of its own can lie down in the bedroom in the morning, in the hallway in the afternoon, and in the kitchen in the evening. Accordingly, for the whole day, the whole apartment will be filled with dog hair.
If the animal rests in only one place, then the owner will have to clean one bed of wool, and not run around the house with a vacuum cleaner.
How to make a do-it-yourself dog bed?
It is generally accepted that every cat needs its own soft and comfortable bed. Dogs have plenty of room on the mat. But this is not entirely true of man’s best friends. Own place is an important psychological factor in the attachment of the animal to the house, and, of course, most breeds will prefer to rest in a soft cozy couch than on a thin door rug.
When making a bed for a dog, use additional recommendations.
- Any pillows and stuffed materials should be fluffed at least 2 times a year. It is necessary to regularly clean the casing from debris and wool. To do this, you can use, for example, a vacuum cleaner or a roller for cleaning wool, it is sold at an economical price in the economic department.
- When choosing a sewing fabric, give preference to materials with a small print. The fact is that the white canvas gets dirty quickly, it will have to be washed often, and wool is clearly visible on a black background. Bright fabric with fine details does not need to be vacuumed as often.
- For convenience, you can initially choose a covering made of materials that repel wool and water. An even simpler option is to make the entire structure in a case. Then you just have to take out the pillow from the cover, clean the cover from wool and wash it in a typewriter.
- When decorating a homemade couch, give up the use of beads, beads, bows and other decorations. Not only can a dog cling to such a part and injure a paw, but also active individuals will not mind gnawing such a peculiar toy or swallowing it.
- When making a soft bed, use strong threads and reliable fittings. Many dogs, especially at a young age, love to gnaw, tear, taste everything, so a poorly stitched design will quickly become unusable. For the same purpose, try to choose a strong, wear-resistant material for cladding.
- Measure the dog several times before making it, and also think about where you can put the dog’s bed in advance. Perhaps, tenants of small-sized apartments should completely abandon the dog’s bed, so as not to force space. In such cases, you can put sun loungers and houses on the balcony, but this option is only suitable for the warm season.
- The type of bed is selected taking into account the breed of the dog. If this is a miniature eternally trembling dog, experiencing constant cold, then it will be glad to have a bed with high sides, behind which it can hide from the dangers of the world around it, and a thick mattress laid inside for heating. Active dogs, participants in any household chores, will prefer a bed with low sides that will not restrict their view.
If this is a dog with warm long hair, then he will refuse to sleep in a fur bed, a light construction made of smooth material will suit him.
Indoor decorative dogs prefer round beds, this is another feature of them besides the tendency to unfold for show. In addition, the round cushioned couch fits more comfortably in your luggage. You can whip up a round bed for a small dog out of an old sweater, see end. And it would be better to sew a permanent, decorative one, no less than an inhabitant, according to a universal pattern.
Universal pattern of a round bed for a dog and options for its use
The pattern of a round bed for a dog is given on the left in the figure, and on the right. options for products made with its use. The base size in any case is the bottom diameter. It lies in the range of 25-60 cm, depending on the breed and this particular representative of it. Determining the base size is simple: wait for yours to settle down better and fog up. Measure it along the bottom from the ends of the front legs to the sacrum, and add 5-10 cm.
For a simple stove bench (top right in the figure), 3 different parts are cut: 2 for the bottom (with an allowance for processing, see above), and the board along the contour of the white circle in Fig. 2 allowances are given on the side: outward and in the cutout under the bottom. Details of the bottom made of different fabrics: the bottom, which will lie on the floor or somewhere else, from burlap, jeans, etc. The upper one is made of decorative fabric. The bottom is sewn with a pillow, the side is sewn with a bagel, and then everything, together with the wing turning inward, see above. The stuffing of such a couch should not be dense and solid, otherwise you will not sew and lay beautifully. The best option is old knitwear cut into rags or coconut fiber, see above.
With big and more problems
With a bed for a large dog, the situation is more complicated, but not much, you just need to know what’s what. And most importantly, what’s what. a dog’s dream. It will not sleep well, will not feel the full care of the owner and will not be able to respond with the same dog affection.
Each dog has its own preferred sleeping position, see fig. And depending on the breed and personal, individual.
But, like humans, a dog’s favorite sleeping position can change with age and depending on circumstances. It is advisable to arrange a sleeping place for the dog so that the dog slept on it once and for all, from a puppy to senile decrepitude. There is a way, this is a transforming bed, see below.
The second snag is the weight of the dog. precisely, the mass of her body, which may be more than a human. If you’ve ever slept on the floor, did you wake up after that, stretching sweetly? And why? Because people toss and turn in a dream. Dogs too. And the hard floor, as it were, gives every movement of the sleeping person back to his body.
Simply put, a more or less large dog for normal sleep needs a kind of bed, a little “playing” under the lying one. Therefore, branded dog beds are often made on a rigid frame (item 1 in the figure) with an elastic bottom raised above the floor.
For a puppy, replace such a possible wooden bed for a cat (pos. 2), only the padding of the mattress needs a different one, see above. For an adult dog, it is advisable to make a simple bed (pos. 3) with lamellas made of planks or plywood strips 6-12 mm thick. Dogs do not understand human aesthetics, and ergonomics are easier for them, so a dog bed can be a very simple wooden frame with slats and a mattress, pos. four.
Note: the bed-bed is also good because the place for the dog can be located anywhere in the house. the dog will not blow through from below, but from above its own wool warms well.
A lamella rookery is a royal luxury from a dog’s point of view, but not absolutely obligatory. And a person could sleep well on a wide bench in an old peasant hut, there would be at least some kind of damper between the mattress with the body and the floor, a kind of spring of at least 2 plates. Therefore, a bed for a large dog can be made in different ways, see eg. roller:
Beds for dogs: homemade options for small and large, for all occasions
The bed is necessary for any domestic four-legged, like the horseshoes of a horse. The reason is the same: the floor or road surface is harder than earth or a living tree, after all, there is no requirement for the greatest wear resistance. A do-it-yourself bed for a dog can be made in the evening or even in 15-20 minutes, and will cost much less than a purchased one. For dog beds, this is more important than for cats. the price of any product, among other things, depends on its size. Structurally, beds for dogs and cats are similar, but dogs are on average larger than cats. And, finally, making a bed for your dog with your own hands, you can accurately take into account the habits and habits of your friend.
A bed for all occasions
It is customary to present any cognitive material from simple to complex. And we will start with a soft transforming bed: it is even easier to sew it than the simple sewn ones described below.
The pattern and appearance of the transforming bed for a dog of Spanish design are shown in Fig. Dimensions are given without machining allowance, see below.
Pattern and appearance of a transforming bed for a dog
- The sizes can be changed proportionally according to the size of the dog;
- With all the sides raised, this bed is suitable for puppies and small playful lap dogs;
- Throwing back the front and, possibly, one of the side boards, the transforming bed can be adapted to any favorite sleeping position of a dog of any size, except for a giant one;
- On a wooden bed for a large dog, a transforming bed is laid in the same way as a regular bed;
- When folded, the transforming bed can be taken with you in your luggage if the dog accompanies you on a trip.
Making the roof of a doghouse
The most important thing is to make the roof structure such that it can be completely removed or reclined if necessary. This can be useful for cleaning the kennel, as well as providing urgent veterinary care to the dog. According to the type of roofs, all booths can be divided into two types: those in which the roof is also the ceiling, and those where the ceiling and roof are made separately, i.e. between the ceiling and the roof itself there is a kind of “attic”. The first type of roof is acceptable if the booth is located in an aviary or under an external canopy. For a dog house standing separately in the open air, it makes sense to choose the second version of the roof design, when the ceiling and roof are made separately, or to make the cover of the booth at an angle so that moisture does not accumulate on it. For the manufacture of the ceiling, you can use the same 40×40 bars and plywood in size. For a large booth, by the way, additional bars are cut in the middle both to the bottom and to the ceiling, so that the plywood does not sag under the weight of the dog. The ceiling can be insulated with glassine, foam or mineral wool for insulation. After the first sheet of plywood is laid with insulation, the second sheet is sewn on top, and we get a double insulated ceiling. For convenience, you can make a handle on the surface of the ceiling. If you do not plan to make a roof and the booth is under the open sky without a canopy, then the top of the roof is covered with roofing material and bituminous tiles to protect the booth from moisture.
Important! If you are going to make a roof for a booth, in no case do not attach it immediately after installing the ceiling.
Making a booth for a dog: wall cladding and ceiling making
It is better to sheathe the inside of the dog booth with wooden clapboard. It is undesirable to use plywood, as it tends to exfoliate over time. For cladding external walls, it is necessary to choose a material that will be resistant to moisture and precipitation, the best option. the same lining or block house. It is not recommended to sheathe the outside of the kennel with metal sheets. in extreme cases, you can use a plastic Euro lining. Galvanized nails with small heads are used to fix the cladding.
A place for giving birth to a dog with your own hands
DIY dog booth
When starting to build a dog house, first of all, decide on its location. The booth should be in a bright and always dry place, but it is desirable that there is a shadow next to it. It is best to put the booth at a point from which the dog has the most complete view of the house and site: deprived of the opportunity to visually “control the territory”, your pet will worry and feel uncomfortable. It is also important that the kennel is located at a certain elevation in order to avoid the accumulation of moisture and other precipitation under it. But it is best to put the booth not on the ground, but on a foundation of wooden beams covered with roofing felt. this way you will provide additional ventilation and protection from moisture. It is best to build a universal booth, designed for both warm and cold weather. In order to make the kennel warmer, it is usually divided into two parts. a “vestibule” with an exit hole and a “sleeping place” where the dog can take shelter from the cold.
How to make a dog booth warm: waterproofing and insulation
In order to make the bottom of the booth moisture resistant, turn the structure on its side and treat the bottom with Senezh antispetic impregnation. Then fix the roofing material at the bottom of the booth and nail in two more additional reinforcing beams 100×50, also treating them with an antiseptic. Before laying the floor in the booth, cover the bottom from the inside with glassine, securing it with a stapler. Next, we put the insulation, and on top of it. another layer of glassine (it is necessary so that the glass wool particles from the insulation do not get into the inner space of the booth).
If the bottom is insulated, you can lay a clean floor. The walls of the booth are insulated in the same way. After the floor and walls are sheathed, the threshold and the frame of the entrance manhole are made.
Building a kennel for dogs: making a frame and bottom
It is best to start making a dog kennel from the bottom. It is important that the floor is warm and does not have crevices, which not only contribute to drafts, but can also cause injury if the dog suddenly gets stuck in them with a claw. The base (Karsk) for the bottom will be 40×40 bars, and a floorboard is usually used as a flooring. After the bottom of the booth is made, 4 bars 100×100 are attached vertically to it in each corner, which will become the basis for the walls. Between them it is necessary to install intermediate bars 40×40, equal in length to the inner height of the booth, to support the roof. You can also add two additional 40×40 bars, which will mark the entrance.
Building a kennel for a dog: determining the size
After the location is determined, you need to calculate the size of the future house for your pet. To do this, you need to take measurements from the animal according to the following scheme: Height of the booth = height of the dog at the withers 10-15 cm Take into account the height of the rug or bedding in the booth. The optimum is the height at which the dog can sit in the kennel without touching the ceiling with his head and move in it with his head tilted. The depth of the booth should allow the dog to lie on its side with its legs extended freely. Accordingly, this indicator is calculated as follows: the distance from the withers to the tips of the front paws in a dog lying on its side is 10-15 cm. The width of the booth is the total width of the vestibule and berth. The width of the berth is determined by measuring the distance from the tailbone of the dog to its nose 10 cm. The width of the vestibule is made based on the build of the dog, so that it can freely go out and enter the booth. Manhole height = height at withers minus 5-9 cm Manhole width = width of the dog’s chest plus 5-8 cm
Important! Do not make the booth too spacious, since the larger the room, the more difficult it is to warm it up in the cold season.
In some cases, it is advisable to make the vestibule large, so that the dog will lie there on its side in hot weather, while the sleeping place is made smaller, and in it the dog lies curled up in winter. In this case, the overall dimensions of the dog booth will not change, but the length and width of the vestibule and berth are calculated differently.
After you have decided on the size and location, draw a rough sketch and, based on it, a drawing of the dog house. This is necessary in order to correctly calculate the types and quantities of building materials. The optimal material for making do-it-yourself booths is coniferous wood. You will need: bars 100×100 and 40×40, 100×50, lining, floorboard, plywood, decorative slats, galvanized nails, roofing material, bituminous tiles, glassine, mineral wool, pinotext, antiseptic impregnation (senezh, etc.), tarpaulin, sand, polyethylene.
Roofing and additional insulation of the entrance
The work of assembling the roof begins with the manufacture of gables. “Perimeters” are assembled from 40×40 bars, which can be sheathed with clapboard, and riveted glassine from the inside. Also at this stage, holes are cut in the front pediment for the “attic”. there you can store a variety of dog supplies and toys.
In order for the roof to be easily removed, if necessary, holes for nails 7-10 mm are drilled in the tori of the corner beams of the booth, after which the nails themselves are inserted into part of their length and the hats are cut off with a hacksaw. The result is metal pins, for which holes are drilled in the gables, after which they are installed in place. After the gables are installed strictly vertically, the lathing can be made and installed. The optimal material is lining or edged board. The roof is covered with roofing material, after which bituminous shingles are laid.
Important! After the booth is ready, the outside can be treated with “pinotex”. But from the inside, painting, varnishing or somehow treating the walls and floor in any case should not be in order to avoid poisoning the dog.!
For additional insulation of the kennel in the cold season, it is advisable to attach a “curtain” made of tarpaulin at the entrance. To prevent the tarpaulin from rising in the wind when the dog is in the booth, take small plastic bags, pour dry sand into them and sew the resulting “weights” in the form of s at the bottom of the curtain. Polyethylene is necessary so that the sand does not get wet and freeze in winter.
Requirements for sleeping in an apartment
Dogs, regardless of what breed they belong to, and Chihuahua, and Pekingese, and Affenpinscher, feel good enough in the cold, but categorically do not tolerate drafts.
That is why the dog’s place should be located away from the blown places. Otherwise, the animal will be constantly exposed to colds.
After all, a dog is a gregarious animal, so it very negatively endures prolonged loneliness and the inability to see the owner.
Watch a very helpful video that will give you some interesting tips for purchasing a dog bed.
The dog’s bedding can be a thin mat, or a thicker mattress. Both can be done independently. The base is made of a soft filler, which is perfect for synthetic winterizer or foam rubber. Further, this base must be sheathed with dense material that is not afraid of claw hooks. It will be very practical to sew two replaceable pillowcases from a less dense, non-fading material onto the finished bedding.
This pillowcase can be removed and washed periodically. The mattress or rug can be placed in a flat basket or in a wooden frame similar to the frame of a human bed.
How to choose for a puppy
For puppies who are still teething, it makes no sense to buy beautiful and expensive baskets for lying, since very soon these signs of master’s attention will be chewed into small pieces. Therefore, when choosing a basket for a puppy, you need to pay special attention to the material from which it is made. The point is not only that the purchased item may soon be spoiled, but also that the puppy can swallow small pieces of plastic and do himself a lot of harm.
How to teach the team at home
The training of the puppy to the place is continued even at the age of six months. If necessary, send the puppy to the place, he is called and taken to the place. Then the command “place” is repeated and the puppy is placed on the litter.
When performing the required actions, the puppy should be encouraged with stroking and the word “good”. After the puppy has lain in place for about a minute, they call him over, play a little and repeat the command “place” from the very beginning. If the puppy does not respond to the command “place”, you need to repeat it in a more strict tone and bring the dog to the place. First you need to try to do this without grasping the collar, and only if this fails, use the collar or leash.
Sleeping, soft place for a dog in an apartment and not only, do it yourself
A dog, regardless of where it lives in an apartment, in a cottage or in the yard, should have its own permanent comfortable place. Well, in order to properly equip a place for your pet, you need to approach this issue with all responsibility.
Benefits of a timber frame for sleeping bedding
The size of the litter should match the size of the dog.
For the puppy, you need to prepare the whole apartment in advance, and not just the place. It is better to buy or make a stove bench for growth, taking into account the size of an adult dog of a particular breed.
The litter should be large enough for the dog to comfortably stretch out to its full height. The size of the dog’s furniture is calculated according to a certain formula. The length of the litter should be equal to the length of the dog from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, the width should be twice the length of the paws.
The price of such mattresses is comparable to the cost of quality special dog mats. For breeds of small dogs, and especially small smooth-haired breeds, buying special dog sofas or soft houses would be an excellent option. For the little ones, cat apartments are also suitable.