cat marks the bed! what to do?
First you need to understand why the cat is aiming. Believe me, he does this not at all in order to anger you or take revenge on you. Its nature has an instinct to protect its territory. With his marks, he kind of lets all the cats that can encroach on this territory know: “I AM HERE THE CHIEF CAT.” In a feline family living in the wild, not all cats in the family are tagged. Cats strictly follow the family hierarchy, so only the MainCat of the family has the right to tags. Marks on the part of the “younger” cats are a rebellion, an attempt to take the place of the “senior”. Thus, in order for the cat to stop marking, he needs to prove that the main cat here is not him at all, but you (and, accordingly, that you will now mark the territory yourself).
How to do it? The cat will never understand your screams, and even more so. blows with a sneaker or a broom. It is also not worth “poking his nose”. the cat will rather understand this: “It smells like my scent here, so this is where I have to mark.” If you caught a cat with a twitching tail, and a few drops of a very odorous secret are flowing down the wall or door, then it’s time to move on to decisive negotiations in cat’s tongue.
Take the cat by the scruff and lift it up. Usually cats tuck their tail to their belly and hang in a “kitten pose”. Great, that’s what we need. If the cat is trying to escape, hold it tighter, the procedure will take several minutes. It’s not scary if someone helps you. he will keep the cat. You must now remember three things.
Remember how cats hiss before a fight? Practice in advance, the sound should resemble a cross between “f”, “w” and “x”. Now remember how cats hit with their front paws. in boxing such a blow would be called a “hook”. And the third thing that you must remember (and most importantly. believe it!): That you are the Main cat, you are defending your territory, and this cat is trying to remove you from the throne.
Do you remember? Believe it? Are you angry? We begin to hiss and spit at the cat, alternating it with “cat hooks on the left and on the right” with our fingertips. right on the insolent muzzle. (No matter how offensive you are for the marked wallpaper. measure the strength). The cat will close its eyes and try to turn away. we continue to “defend the territory” until the cat beeps. As soon as he squeaked, let him go. Remember. the one who first averted his eyes gave up! Stare into the cat’s eyes and do not move them away. Immediately “sweep the territory” as a cat would. Of course, no one will require you to do exactly the same thing that your cat did, and this is physiologically impossible, but wash the place of the mark and wipe it with your T-shirt, in which you went all day (or even better, worked out in the gym ). has the meaning. A similar effect is obtained with a cloth, which was carried for about 30 minutes by holding it in the armpit or socks. after a day of wearing. Ladies can use their perfume with a strong and long-lasting scent.
This procedure will have to be repeated several times, but the result will surprise you. If a cat, beaten by a slipper, will be offended at you for some time and will not come to you to purr, but may pour it into slippers, then a cat punished “like a cat” begins to really consider you as something absurdly large, but very strong cat. strict but fair.
oschem, options: 1.castration, 2.wash the place, wipe with something of your own
The fact that the cat marks the owners’ beds has nothing to do with the animal’s sexual unfulfillment, even after sterilization, the cat can continue to go to the toilet on your sheets, says Natalya Krivolapchuk. And this will continue until a competent and healthy relationship with your pet is built.
ukrlevkoy.ru/viewtopic.php?id=110 here EVERYTHING IS DESCRIBED!
Tell me, what do you do after these writings on the bed-sofa? Are you hitting the cat, scolding? We had such a similar situation, the cat got into the habit of pooping under the front door in the corridor, and there are two trays in the toilet and are always almost clean. What we didn’t do was poke our noses and sprinkle this place and put objects there, just don’t beat the cat. And now, once again, after this, my patience ran out and I began to scold her, and I scolded her for about 10 minutes, I told her everything that I thought about her, I thought that you were smart, neat, etc. and so on, and you turned out to be an asshole, so I’ll throw you out in the basement, you will live with homeless people and fleas (well, of course, I wouldn’t do that), etc.
In general, for about 10 minutes I scolded her with feeling, she listened, then suddenly she sat down in the middle of the room and started telling me something. She meowed like that for about 5 minutes, probably, and she answered me with different intonations, objected and explained something. And after that, how cut off! Believe it or not, she now goes exclusively to the tray on all matters! Oo wow)
The cat needs to be neutered, pets that are not planning to happen, well, i.e. satisfy all sorts of needs))) must be neutered or sterilized. Otherwise, they not only go crazy and mark corners, but this is also very dangerous for their health, they may develop inflammation and infection of the internal organs of the reproductive system and intestines, therefore, when they castrate a cat and sterilize a cat, they do not “mock poor animals.”. but they save their lives and do a good deed, so do not regret it, it will only be better for him.
The cat marks the territory, what to do?
When bringing a cat into the house, not all owners have an idea of what they will have to face in the future, mistakenly believing that only cats will mark the territory. They do it more often and more intensely, yes, but even a spayed cat can also tag, it just happens quite rarely. It is important to make sure that your pet is marking the territory, and not just passing his need anywhere. this will help determine the position. The marks of a cat are usually left on a vertical surface, with their back turned to it and characteristically waving their tail. Before deciding how to wean a cat from marking territory, you need to make sure that it does not have problems with the urinary system. When an animal wants to go to the toilet, its posture is more like a sitting posture, and there is much more liquid than when it wants to mark something. Whereas the label is rather a splash of a small amount of a strong-smelling secret.
Do absolutely all cats tag? Rather yes than no, it’s just that some people just need to leave their mark in another way (for example, when a cat sharpens its claws. this is also a mark, because the glands that secrete a secret are also on the pads of their paws). Others need more vivid confirmation of who is the boss here. Usually, these problems begin when animals reach puberty. If several animals live in the house, the question of how to disaccustom a cat to mark territory will be more acute, since each of them will try to reclaim as much territory as possible, and in addition, “re-mark” someone else’s. This is the main purpose of cats. to show other animals who owns this area of the dwelling and why it cannot be claimed.
Why does a cat mark territory?
There are several reasons why cats mark territory. And before proceeding directly to weaning, it is worth finding out why cats are tagging and eliminating this reason. Perhaps after this the problem will disappear by itself.
The cat sees some kind of threat to its territory. The culprit may be a new tenant. a person or an animal. Can a cat immediately understand how he will behave, and whether he will win back her favorite places? Of course not, so he marks them well in advance. The problem is solved simply. if you plan to have a new pet, allocate your place in the house for it in advance. And if you don’t turn on anyone, but the cat began to mark, perhaps near your door or in another place, but so close that the cat felt it, a foreign animal leaves marks. There is only one way out. to drive out the “invader” and erase the marks.
Change of scenery or other stress. If you moved or made repairs, or were absent for a long time (along with the cat), and then returned home, then, of course, she will begin to mark a new or well-forgotten old place for her. Stress is also the reason a cat marks after spaying. A trip to the veterinarian, the operation itself, then recovery. all this does not pass without leaving a trace for the nervous system, and in order to assert itself, to remind itself who is the owner here, the cat can start tagging. Various sedatives for animals can help here, or you can just wait until the cat gets used to the new environment or condition.
The period of estrus or sexual heat, as well as simply if there is a sexually mature animal of the opposite sex somewhere nearby. In this situation, even cats are tagged after sterilization or castration. It is a mistake to think that if you had an actively tagging cat, after castration, he will stop doing this, then other measures will be required. It’s the same with cats, usually they can make rather weak marks, and you may not even notice it, but during estrus the cat marks especially strongly. Especially if at this time the relatives are calling invitingly under the window, and the cat not only hears them, but also feels how they feel her condition. At the same time, she is afraid that cats will also claim her territory, so she marks her as a cat, marking her borders. The solution is to wean the animal from a bad habit when there are no possible sexual partners nearby.
If you are breeding, and you have a breeding cat, then the likelihood that he will mark the territory increases dramatically, therefore, these cats are often kept separately. But it is also likely that in the absence of competitors nearby and constant mating, the animal will not need tags at all.
How to wean mark
If eliminating the causes of bad behavior does not help, then you need to move on to more decisive action. What to do when a cat marks. first, you need to catch her “at the crime scene” and punish her right away. Over time, the animal will associate punishment not with its action, but simply with you, and then you will get a completely opposite effect. If your cat marks corners, you can also try to make her favorite spots as unattractive as possible. rinse thoroughly (but do not use products containing ammonia, as its smell is similar to that of urine). You can also spray the corners with your perfume, so to speak, leave your own mark, or use other strong-smelling substances. a lemon slice, for example.
If your pet leaves marks only during estrus. the cat asks for the cat and marks it, then medications can help, but before using them, you should definitely consult with your veterinarian, since the effect is quite strong, and side effects are also often encountered. In addition, after stopping the use of the drug, the cat’s bad habit begins to manifest itself again.
Why do cats mark objects in the house?
Cats begin to mark the territory due to the influence of various irritating factors. Unlike cats, they do this much less often, so the owner may confuse the marking process with urination. The list of the main reasons is as follows:
- During illness, the pet can relieve natural needs outside the litter box. The problem occurs mainly due to the formation of kidney stones and the development of cystitis. On a subconscious level, the animal has the impression that the pain is manifested precisely because of the tray, so it looks for other places where the need is fusion. You can correct the situation, but for this pet you need to show the veterinarian. Otherwise, the disease will progress.
- Representatives of the feline family can mark territory due to the appearance of a new person in the house or another animal. The pet will perceive such updates as a threat to its territory. The basic instinct will advise him to mark objects, showing who is in charge in the house. If the problem lies in the appearance of a new family member, then only time will help. The cat must get used to the person in order to “accept” him. When introducing another pet, you need to be prepared for the division of the house between them. Otherwise, there will be little chance of avoiding conflict.
- Occasionally, a pet will start tagging objects as a result of other animals marking the front door. The owner will have to get rid of the foreign smell and try to prevent the situation from recurring.
- There have been cases when a cat began to mark corners in the house after moving. For her, the new environment has not yet been experienced, so instincts are triggered. Over time, everything comes back to normal.
- After sterilization, the cat marks in the apartment due to the stress experienced. There is no need to scold her, as time must pass for the animal’s psyche to recover. In severe cases, you can consult your veterinarian about giving a sedative to calm your pet’s nervous system.
- The cat can mark the territory because of the raging hormones. After reaching 7-8 months, it becomes already a sexually mature individual. If a cat lives in the neighborhood, then the female begins to mark corners in the house, showing the boundaries of her possessions. The whole problem here lies in the activation of instincts, since against the background of hormonal surges there is a fear of losing territory. Sterilization does not actually help in this situation. The animal bounces back and continues to label. The only salvation will be getting rid of a potential sexual partner, at least for the duration of heat.
- There are situations when a cat has to be left with strangers. She begins to mark territory in protest or simply out of stress. The behavior of the animal is normalized only upon return to the familiar environment.
How a cat can mark territory
Cats that want to tag things follow the steps below:
- fits a vertical surface;
- straightens and raises its tail, shaking it slightly;
- secretes a little urine horizontally.
To mark territory, cats often rub their faces against certain objects. Many owners think that the pet lacks affection, but in fact everything is much simpler. On the face of cats, in the eye area, special glands are localized that emit a strong odor. A person does not feel it, but other animals immediately understand that the place is already taken.
You can often notice that cats, when they meet, sniff each other’s anus. In this place, the anal glands are localized, which secrete an odorous secret. By raising its tail, the pet seeks to show its smell. You can notice this if you stroke it along the back. At the same time, the cat will begin to protrude the back of the body.
tom cat urine spray and marking territory
Cats wash themselves not only to maintain cleanliness, but also to distribute secretions throughout the body.
For example, by licking the genitals, they spread the odor from the anal glands to the back of the torso. The secret will be more clearly visible to other animals.
Felines have very small glands on their paws. When cats sharpen their nails, they mark objects in this way. This leaves visual markings and associated odor.
Cats can mark not only with the help of fluid secreted by the glands, but also with saliva. However, it does not carry any information about the sexual behavior of the animal, for example, about the onset of estrus.
Do cats mark territory like cats?
Many people do not want to have cats because of their tendency to mark all vertical objects in an apartment or house, so the choice often falls on cats. Representatives of the male feline family do this quite regularly, especially after puberty. However, whether cats mark their territory like cats is difficult to answer unequivocally.
In most cases, the owner simply confuses commonplace urination with a label. To go to the toilet, cats sit down. When marking objects, they stand with their back to the surface and raise their tail, releasing a few drops of liquid.
When confirming concerns, it is important to know what to do if the cat is marking territory. The process of castration and sterilization for animals is very stressful and this procedure does not always help.
The main reason for the marking is a change of scenery, estrus, a new family member or an animal. A cat reacts to stimuli instinctively, so you shouldn’t yell at it. Drastic actions generally only make matters worse.
How to make a cat stop tagging
Sometimes it is not possible to apply methods that are aimed at eliminating the cause, or they are not very effective. In such a situation, you can use the following tips:
- If possible, you need to catch the cat when she marks objects and punish her, for example, by poking at the “crime scene”. In the animal, a reflex is developed in the subconscious that such behavior leads to unpleasant consequences. If the punishment is much later, then there will be no effect.
- Cats often mark corners. You can correct the situation by carefully clearing them of the secret. For this, special sprays from Api-San are suitable, which usually cost no more than 500 rubles. It is undesirable to use ammonia-based products, as it is very similar to the smell of urine. If the tag was recently placed, you can use bleach, vinegar or lemon juice. After processing, the corner can be sprinkled with your perfume to “sweep”.
- The situation is more complicated if the cat marks only during estrus. So she talks about her puberty and asks for a cat. Special medications like “Covinana” or “Sex Barrier” can help here. They suppress the hormonal background of the animal, as a result of which sexual activity decreases. However, such medications are very dangerous, therefore it is strictly forbidden to give them to the cat on your own. Before use, you must definitely consult a veterinarian.
The pet owner should carefully observe the pet’s behavior, analyze the possible reasons and factors that provoke the cat to mark the territory. In the event that a little time has passed since the operation, you should be patient and wait for the level of hormones in the animal’s body to decrease. It is pointless to punish him, since behavior is determined by natural instincts.
If the reason for the undesirable behavior is another animal, then over time, the cat may stop tagging, if you make sure that the new neighbor is not encroaching on his territory.
Eliminating the cause of the stress will calm your pet and stop marking territory. Love, care, attention will help the animal to find psychological comfort. If the cause of the tags is a disease, then the prescribed treatment will help solve the problem with the tags.
There are several interesting psychological tricks in which the owner makes it clear to the cat who is the boss in the house:
- It is necessary to catch the animal at the time of leaving the mark, take it, like a small kitten, by the withers and leave it in a helpless state for a couple of minutes. In this position, the cat carries its kittens in childhood, and the cat will feel vulnerable.
- You can supplement the psychological impact by producing sounds similar to hissing relatives.
- Biting blows with fingers on the nose, imitating a fight between animals, are effective. Such manipulation puts the cat in place, he does not feel himself in charge of the house and ceases to defend his territory.
The neutering of an animal does not always guarantee the owner getting rid of unwanted manifestations of the pet’s sexual behavior in the form of leaving marks around the apartment. Having understood the nature of the phenomenon, identifying the reasons in each case, it is easier to take measures to correct the behavior of the pet.
This phenomenon is observed due to the fact that the level of sex hormones decreases gradually after the operation. The only way to deal with territorial marks in cats is early castration before signs.
Rehabilitation of a cat after circumcision. Castration in most cases is a planned operation. The owner needs to learn about how to care for a cat after castration before performing a surgical procedure.
Correctly chosen time, when to castrate a cat, will help to avoid complications, qualitatively improve the life of the pet and household members. We recommend reading an article on how to take care of a cat after castration.
How to wean a cat from marking its territory in an apartment
Many cat lovers face such a problem as marking the territory with their pets. When a kitten reaches 6. 7 months, it becomes sexually mature, and at this time serious problems begin for the owners. The cat marks its territory by launching a jet on furniture or walls, and the cat begins to leave small puddles in some secluded corner. As a result, furniture and wallpaper falls into disrepair, and a disgusting smell appears in the apartment. over, physical punishment and screaming do not help at all.
Then the question arises: how to wean cats to mark their territory in an apartment? Many decide to take an extreme step — they castrate or neuter poor animals. However, veterinarians claim that this method will only be effective if castration or neutering was performed before puberty of the kitten, since in the future cats will still mark further.
Why does a cat mark territory??
There are situations when the cat does not seek to mark the territory, but simply suffers from difficulty urinating. She may have a urinary tract disorder such as cystitis or an infection that causes her to urinate while standing. Show it to the vet.
How to STOP Your Cat Spraying Everywhere: 9 tips for success!
If you are not sure about the initial decency of the animal, check out the article on the link to find out how to accustom it to the place of origin of natural consumption.
Girls-boys, help me with advice: my domestic cat, age 8.5 years old, spayed a year, the last couple of months began to mark the territory. she approaches the object, turns her booty and “shoots” with urine. While it was only in the yard. they were surprised, for the last 3 days he was marking in the house: furniture, slippers, things. What could it be? A familiar veterinarian throws up his hands in bewilderment Who faced such a problem. tell me, please! Maybe you need to pass tests (which ones?), Can carry out some kind of hormonal therapy (well, so the kosh is sterilized, hormones are probably not produced)?
Olya (?), Something is probably changing (but I would not say that dramatically). something was brought, someone came, but Basya (a cat) marks not only new things, but also old ones. mother’s slippers were damaged in the morning. who bought more than a year ago, yesterday “noted” a floor vase, which has been in one place for five years
Maybe the cat experienced some kind of stress on the street and now marks its territory everywhere? I heard that sometimes this happens, and then it goes away. Can you somehow calm her down, show that she is still loved (actively caress)? Have you visited other animals in the last period? Can wash everything very thoroughly?
But! What else could be. There may be problems with the genitourinary system. And so she is trying to get your attention, that something hurts her when urinating.
I had a similar situation with a cat. Suddenly he began to climb on the bed and pee. (It’s good that we didn’t punish him.) turned out to be a problem with the ureter)
Sorry I have no feline experience, but I have a similar problem with a bitch. After sterilization, estrus, which is characterized only by the presence of an odor that attracts males, and the corresponding behavior of the dog itself. I consulted with a doctor: in isolated cases, due to the individual characteristics of the body, hormones can in large quantities
Marks or simple urination?
In most cats, it is not difficult to distinguish between urination and splashing. So, fulfilling their natural need, they sit down and release the entire volume of urine onto a horizontal surface. And in order to mark the territory, the cat uses vertical surfaces. At the same time, she turns her backwards, lifts her tail and secretes urine in small portions with an admixture of other secrets.
On the street, cats often leave marks on fences, bushes or hedges. In the house, they can mark, for example, windows or doors, furniture, electrical equipment, curtains, wallpaper. If you notice this behavior of a pet, first figure out what it is connected with, and only then take measures to avoid such situations in the future.
When the cat starts to mark?
Usually cats begin to mark territory upon reaching puberty, from 7-8 months. If the cat wants to do his “dirty deed”, he takes a characteristic pose: he stands upright to any surface, presses his tail “with a pipe and emits a fetid liquid.
For the tag, animals use urine mixed with other secrets. In some cases, the cat simply scratches the wallpaper, walls, rubs against furniture to mark the territory. To get rid of tags, simple daily cleaning will not help, you need to use other methods here.
Why the cat marks the apartment?
To get rid of the marks of the animal in the apartment, first you need to understand how to proceed. You can make the right decision by realizing why and why the cat is aiming at home. Why does he do this?
Don’t worry, the cat isn’t doing this on purpose to upset or piss you off. It has its own reasons and its own “cat” explanation.
The mark means one thing: I am in charge here, this territory is mine, and any cat who looks into this territory should know who is the boss. This is how the primacy instinct works. The animal clearly shows the boundaries of its territory and if your shoes fall under the markings, do not be offended.
In the animal kingdom, not all cats have the right to mark territory, but only
Reasons why a castrated cat marks
First of all, you need to know that anesthesia does not in any way affect the fact that the pet continues to mark the territory after castration. The studies carried out do not find a connection between the stay of the animal in a state of narcotic sleep and the continuation of leaving traces after the operation.
There are several reasons why a castrated cat marks its territory:
- Little time has passed since castration. In order for the cat to stop putting tags around the apartment, it is necessary that a certain number of days and even weeks have passed. The level of sex hormones does not drop sharply, this process can take a long time, so castrated animals can continue to mark their territory for 3 to 4 weeks after the operation. The owners should be patient, after some time the cat stops putting marks.
- Castration performed at puberty. If a cat has developed a persistent habit of marking territory before the operation, then the likelihood of such behavior after the operation is high. This happens especially often if the cat is neutered after one year of age, and he has had contact with cats. In this case, to the great chagrin of the owner, the animal continues to leave marks on walls, furniture, objects, things after the operation. Some do not change their behavior for several months until the hormonal background decreases. In rare cases, and after six months, a castrated cat does not stop acting to protect its territory. Such complex cases require the intervention of a veterinarian or animal psychologist.
- Cryptorchidism in an animal and an error during the operation. With cryptorchidism, one testicle may not come out into the scrotum, in which case an abdominal operation is required. If, as a result of castration, the testicle was not removed, then it continues to produce hormones, causing the cat’s sexual behavior.
- Competition for territory. A neutered pet can mark the territory when one or more animals live on it. In this case, the cat leaves the marks in order to establish its leadership, making it clear to its relatives who is in charge here. A similar situation is often the reason why a spayed cat marks its territory. Often, for such behavior, it is not necessary that other animals live in the apartment, it is quite enough that a cat appears from the neighbors on the staircase. The pet smells a stranger and tries to defend its territory.
- Stress. Domestic cats, despite the external regularity of their life, often experience stressful situations. This can be a change in the usual diet, moving to a new home, rearranging or changing furniture. A depressive state in a pet can cause ignorance of its owner, the appearance of a new family member, a child.
- Health problems. Diseases of the urethra, urolithiasis, cystitis often lead to the fact that, under the influence of pain, normal behavioral reactions are lost in the cat, and the cat begins to leave its secretions on the territory. The development of urogenital pathology can also be the reason why the cat marks after sterilization. As a rule, the animal has other symptoms that indicate the disease: lethargy, refusal to feed, anxiety when going to the toilet and urinating, discoloration of urine. A visit to the doctor will allow you to find out the type of disease and start treatment.
What to do if a cat marks the territory in an apartment like a cat
Very often, cats mark their territory as cats, during estrus when they are in search of a sexual partner, or in order to establish their rights to housing and its objects. If sterilization is done, urine splashes can also escape from under the tail and ennoble the room with persistent “amber”.
For the owner, this behavior in the apartment may cause confusion. When smelly marks appear, the owners are puzzled how to eliminate them and wean the woolen pet from making them again.
reasons why a cat marks territory
In addition to the main and common reasons, there are many prerequisites for a cat to start tagging your home:
- Moving. Instinctively, the cat explores and marks the previously unknown territory as a cat, thus protecting it from the encroachments of other animals. In such a situation, it is worth being patient. Over time, she will calm down and the desire to mark will disappear.
- Other cats leave marks on the front door. The problem often arises among the owners of private houses. Foreign smells cause stress for the pet, prompting to tag the furniture.
- Bringing up a large number of animals in a cramped room. Cats are territorial creatures by nature: as street fighters take their places in the hierarchy, so the pet will seek to win a place in the sun by marking the boundaries of its territory. The more living creatures per square meter of the apartment, the higher the likelihood of the occurrence of marks.
- Physical abuse. when a cat is squeezed against his will, or, even worse, harsh methods of punishment are used for misconduct. She is under constant stress, which prompts her to tag for self-satisfaction. The owners are encouraged to reconsider the attitude and methods of education.
- Excessive pampering of a pet is the flip side of violence, when a cat’s misdeeds get off their hands. Over time, the owners understand that it is time to start raising their pet. Punishing or refusing to do something, such as giving food from the table, can spark protest. She begins to aim at evil to the owners.
Can a cat tag like a cat?
Many people choose to have cats, believing that they are unable to tag at home. Males of the feline genus regularly “mark furniture” after puberty and during the hunt, but girls are also able to do this.
Often, inexperienced owners can confuse tags and a regular trip to the toilet outside the litter box.
Outwardly, cats mark objects like cats: they stand with their backs to the object, twitch their tails and secrete a small amount of a pungent liquid.
It’s all the fault of estrus?
Upon reaching the age of 6 to 8 months, hormones begin to rage. The reproductive instinct wakes up, and the search for a partner begins.
If an uncastrated cat lives next to or in the neighborhood, then the cat will try to attract his attention as much as possible with the help of loud cries and marks.
During estrus, it is necessary to protect her as much as possible from potential meetings with boyfriends.
The most common cases are when a cat crap during estrus, but it can also be caused by:
- Veterinarian intervention or neutering: The cat is tagging as a result of stress. You need to leave the animal alone. Perhaps this problem will resolve itself. If the situation with the marked property has dragged on, then you need to consult a veterinarian who can offer sedatives.
- Developing pathologies in the genitourinary sphere. It can be cystitis, pyelonephritis, formation of stones and sand in the kidneys and ureter. In such cases, the act of urination becomes painful, and the tray begins to cause unpleasant associations. This may prompt the cat to look for another area that, in its opinion, causes less painful sensations, along the way marking it. A loving owner is obliged to show the cat to a veterinarian for consultation and further treatment;
- The arrival of a new family member or pet. A cat can perceive such “innovation” as a threat to its territory. Instinctively, she marks household items, showing primacy. If this is a person, then you need to give time to get used to each other. When a pet appears, the best solution would be to temporarily isolate them. It happens that when leaving, the owners are forced to leave the cat with strangers. Marks in such cases can be a sign of protest
What to do if a cat starts tagging: how to wean
If the kitty is systematically tagging, this should not be overlooked. First of all, it is necessary to identify the reason for this behavior.
- If a cat is tagging during estrus, you should consult with your veterinarian, he will suggest drugs to suppress hormonal levels. It is strictly forbidden to abuse such substances, they have many side effects.
- As a preventive measure, if the pet does not have breeding value, it is strongly recommended to sterilize it during puberty. The earlier this procedure is carried out, the more likely it is that the cat will stop tagging after sterilization, but do not flatter yourself, there are no guarantees.
- Violence is highly discouraged. The best way to wean your cat from tagging is to shout loudly, pop or subtly apply a spray bottle. Punishments should be systematic and immediately after she shit. Otherwise they have no effect.
If a fresh tag is found, it must be removed quickly and efficiently. Rinse off the discharge with clean water, then wipe the stain with a rag and vinegar.
Acetic acid will help remove unpleasant odors, and its scent will be irritating to the animal. You can fix the result with a veterinary spray to eliminate odors, or deterrents, such as “antigadin”.
In places where the cat began to mark, you can spread cotton wool soaked in vinegar. However, this smell is not to the liking of many people, and it can be replaced with citrus or clove essential oil.
Such measures will help discourage the desire to label interior items in the apartment. The most important thing is to be patient, and the result will not be long in coming.
Why does my cat tag?
In the wild, cats leave scent marks to communicate with their own kind. by rubbing, scratching, urinating, and spraying. Smell tags tell cats important information that another cat has claimed a territory or that it has been there and may return, and whether the cat is looking for a mate. Most indoor cats spayed don’t feel the need to tag, and those who do tend to feel stressed and want to surround themselves with their own scent for protection. Even if you have created a safe environment for your pet and surrounded her with care, she can still experience stress and therefore will mark her territory.
What to do if a cat marks territory
Keeping your home clean can be very challenging for any pet owner. There is nothing worse than returning home after a long day of work to find a terrible smell and mess on the floor everywhere. Marking with a stream of urine is one of the most common behaviors in cats, along with scratching. And although your first impulse may be the desire to immediately punish an animal for this disgrace, keep in mind that this behavior is quite natural for him.
What to do if a cat marks
First, determine if the cat is actually marking territory and not just emptying the bladder.
Cats urinate by sitting on a horizontal surface. When they mark territory, they do it while standing. The cat makes forward movements with its hind legs, and its tail twitches, and at the same time urine is sprayed in small portions on a vertical surface, leaving a scent mark
If your cat starts urinating outside of its litter box, make sure you clean it regularly. If the behavior persists, take her to the veterinarian to be tested for lower urinary tract disease and cystitis. A urinary tract infection can cause the cat to urinate while standing, making it look like it is marking territory. Cystitis can also cause symptoms of lower urinary tract disease, including frequent attempts to urinate, straining and / or screaming when urinating, and blood in the urine. Cats with recurrent cystitis benefit from increased fluid intake, which may require switching to wet food. Consult with your veterinarian to adjust her nutrition.
How to wean a cat from tagging? Think about the recent changes in your home that may have caused your cat to behave like this, especially if she spends most of her time indoors. For example, having a baby or a pet, moving to a new home, schedule changes, or even rearranging furniture can affect your pet. To keep your cat safe from other pets or neighbors, block access to cat walkways or doors. As soon as your pet feels that nothing threatens her territory, she will no longer feel the need to mark her.
Moving furniture or redecorating can upset your cat by removing the odor from the marked areas in your home. By spreading her scent in familiar places, you can neutralize her desire to re-mark the territory. Run a soft cotton cloth around your cat’s face. this is where her individual smells and pheromones are released. Run this cloth several times a day over the areas that your pet is marking. You can also purchase synthetic pheromones from your veterinarian.
A cat feels most comfortable when it is safe. Limit its territory to one or two rooms.
The place in your house where the cat has urinated or which has been marked must be thoroughly washed, otherwise it may return there.
- Keep your cat out of this area for as long as possible. For example, put some furniture there.
- Wash the area with an enzyme-containing detergent and rinse thoroughly. Then mix a weak solution of white vinegar and water and spray.
- Spray and wipe the surface with rubbing alcohol and dry. Before doing this, test the color fastness on delicate surfaces in a small area.
- Ask your veterinarian about stain and odor removers to get rid of residual odors.
- Do not use ammonia-based cleaners. Since urine also contains ammonia, the cat will want to re-mark the area.
And finally. under any circumstances, it is very important to never yell at the cat or punish. This can only make the situation worse, as it will make her even more stressed. Cats don’t understand punishment, so the best way to correct behavioral problems is to teach her and continue to show her your love and affection. Gradually, you will be able to redirect bad behavior in the right direction, and your cat will become cute and affectionate. just the way you wanted.