Possible negative consequences
As a form of flea insecticide application, the flea accessory can cause the following troubles:
- Flea collar allergy. This phenomenon is not uncommon when using an antiparasitic accessory. Allergy most often occurs when using permethrin, tetrakhlovinphos as impregnation. The reaction in this case can manifest itself in the form of itching, sneezing, lacrimation. In acute cases, convulsions, impaired coordination of movement, depression, loss of consciousness are possible. Allergy symptoms usually appear 1 to 2 hours after application.
- Poisoning. Symptoms of poisoning with insecticides that are part of the collar are similar to those of an allergic reaction. But with intoxication, the first signs appear 5-6 hours after using the accessory soaked in chemistry, and with allergies. in the first hour.
It is impossible to answer unequivocally the question of whether a collar is harmful to fleas. Allergic manifestations, poisoning and chronic intoxication certainly negatively affect the health of the pet. It is also recommended to periodically check the condition of the pet’s skin during the entire period of operation of the protective device.
Instructions and facts on how a flea collar for cats works
Recently, you can often see a cat walking down the street in a collar. This stylish accessory has a very specific function. to protect the animal from external parasites. However, pet owners do not always have a correct understanding of how a flea collar for cats works. Awareness of this issue will allow you to avoid a lot of mistakes when using this protection tool.
A flea collar for cats is one of the most popular forms of antiparasitic use. Soft rubberized material can be impregnated with repellent or insecticide.
The repellant repels harmful insects, thereby protecting the animal from their attack. Essential oils generally smell bad for fleas. The instructions for each protective product indicate how long the flea collar based on repellents works. As a rule, after 2. 3 months it needs to be replaced with a new one. Such a device is not a remedy for infestation with fleas, but only prevents them from attacking the animal.
If the collar is impregnated with an insecticide (organophosphates, carbamate poisons), then the principle of its action is somewhat different. Accumulating in the skin of an animal, the insecticide not only scares off blood-sucking insects with a smell, but also kills them if they accidentally bite. Such an accessory can already be used not only for the prevention of flea and tick attacks, but also as a remedy for the presence of parasites on the animal.
Attention! Cases have been identified when a cat or cat has been poisoned by a flea collar. Although they are isolated, they still occur. However, such a result is possible under such circumstances: individual intolerance of the animal to specific components of the drug or a combination of a collar impregnated with an insecticide with strong drops.
Pros and cons
An antiparasitic collar, like any other insecticidal agent, has its positive and negative sides. The undoubted advantages of this type of anti-flea protective equipment include the following points:
- Does not require hygiene procedures (washing, combing, etc.), as in the case of using shampoos and sprays.
- Universal collars scare away not only cat fleas, but also more dangerous parasites. ticks. It is to such means of protection that owners often resort when they take their pets out of town, to the country, to nature.
- Effective protection for a long time. How much to wear a flea collar for cats depends on the type of treatment. Repellent polypropylene tapes protect your pet for 2. 3 months. If insecticide impregnation was used, then the period of validity can be up to 6 months.
- Reduced the risk of overdose, since the collar is impregnated with a poisonous substance at the factory in a dose that is non-toxic to the animal.
- A wide selection and affordable play an important role in the choice of antiparasitic protection.
- A cat walking down the street in an accessory is not only protected from the attack of parasites, but also does not look like a stray animal.
Flea collar “Celandine” is used only for prevention
However, despite the obvious advantages and positive aspects, antiparasitic straps also have a number of disadvantages:
- Repellent tapes are for prophylaxis only. For example, the Celandine flea collar is ineffective for cats already infected with blood-sucking insects. The animal should be treated with shampoo, drops, flea sprays and only then equipped with a collar to prevent re-infection.
- The duration of the antiparasitic agent in the form of a tape, as a rule, is less than that specified by the manufacturer. This is due to the operating conditions of the product.
- The collar is contraindicated in kittens up to 2 months.
- The anti-flea accessory works only against a mature flea. This form of insecticide does not affect eggs, larvae, and pupae.
- It is better for hyperactive animals not to use a collar, but to resort to other means of protection (for example, drops), since when actively climbing trees, the cat can get caught and injured.
- Whether the collar helps cats with fleas can be judged only after at least 5 days from the date of use. Do not expect instant death of insects.
When choosing an antiparasitic collar as protection against the attack of feline fleas and ticks, you should weigh the pros and cons. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the physiological state of the pet, its lifestyle, and the level of health. You should also consider the potential risk of infection not only by feline fleas, but also by more dangerous parasites.
We choose the best options among the proposed
- “Leopard”. A domestically produced protective agent based on fipronil provides a prophylactic effect for 4 months. Can be used from 2 months of age. Contraindications: pregnancy, feeding. Not recommended for sick and weakened animals.
- Befar. A flea and tick collar for cats from a European company provides maximum protection 5 days after use and remains effective for 5 months. Not recommended for pregnant, lactating cats and young animals under 6 months of age.
- “Bolfo”. The active ingredient of the agent is propoxur, which has a universal insecticidal effect. The collar can be used on productive cats after consultation with a veterinarian.
- “Celandine”. Collar for cats and dogs of domestic production. The active ingredient is permethrin, which destroys fleas, lice, ixodid ticks. The protective device is not recommended for pregnant and lactating females. Kittens can be used from 4 months of age.
- Dana Ultra. Combined action, effective against fleas and ticks. Used from 2 months of age, not recommended for productive animals.
Safety rules for putting on and wearing
Many pet owners mistakenly believe that there are no special rules for how to put a collar on a cat to protect it from fleas. Nevertheless, for efficacy and safety, the recommendations of the manufacturers and veterinarians should be heeded:
- Use only products intended for this type of animal (do not use products intended for dogs).
- Do not cut the product into pieces, it is intended for one animal, taking into account its weight.
- The collar should be attached to the pet so that it does not dangle around the neck, but does not squeeze too much. It should be remembered that in different poses the diameter of the pet’s neck is different. Manufacturers recommend a one centimeter gap between the strap and the body.
- If the protective device is periodically removed, then it must be stored in a closed plastic bag. This will prevent the reduction of the preventive effect ahead of time.
- Before putting on a flea collar for cats, the instructions should be carefully studied for compatibility with other insecticides. As a rule, it is strictly forbidden to use the collar in combination with other flea control agents. This can lead to an overdose and poisoning of the pet with insecticides. If the animal has been treated with shampoo, injections, tablets, sprays, you can put on the collar only 3. 5 days after the destruction of the parasites.
We recommend that you read the article on where the fleas from the domestic cat come from. From it you will learn about the possible routes of infection, signs and symptoms of fleas in a pet, the dangers that fleas pose to humans and cats.
Can the collar be used for a pregnant cat?
Despite the widespread advertising and popularity of the protective accessory, the veterinarian is often asked questions about its effect on the health of the animal, side effects, and its use in a particular physiological state. And some of the most popular are about wearing while waiting for offspring.
- Can i wear a flea collar to a nursing cat? It is not recommended to use this kind of protection for a lactating female by both manufacturers and veterinarians. The insecticide used to soak the tape has a long-lasting effect, which can cause severe poisoning in young kittens and lead to the death of the offspring. For the treatment of a nursing cat from blood-sucking insects, there are specially developed preparations, for example, Frontline drops.
- Is a flea collar available for a pregnant cat? Almost all insecticide-soaked tapes are not recommended for pregnant cats. Veterinarians prefer collars based on essential oils to protect the animal in an interesting position. They are less dangerous in relation to intoxication, but will not insure against allergic manifestations.
- Insecticidal tape “Bolfo” can be used for pets in position, but only after prior consultation with a veterinarian who will assess the health of the expectant mother.
How does a flea collar for cats work?
Even domestic cats can fall prey to blood-sucking parasites, not to mention pets that are regularly outside. The flea and tick collar is a convenient and effective accessory that can be used to protect cats and cats from annoying insects.
There is a fairly wide range on the market, which allows you to choose the most suitable option, taking into account the sex, age and individual characteristics of the pet.
The substances that make up the flea impregnation of a cat collar are not dangerous for humans, but if they get on the skin, they can cause an allergic reaction. Also, products can pose a threat to young children who like to taste everything.
Compliance with simple safety rules will help to avoid health problems:
- in the process of putting cats and cats in a collar from fleas and ticks, do not eat or smoke;
- putting an accessory on an animal, wash your hands thoroughly;
- be sure to make sure that the accessory does not fall into the hands of children and into the mouth of a pet;
- store the collar in a dark place, separate from food.
At the first sign of poisoning, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Types and features
All collars are divided into two types according to the principle of action:
- flea-repelling bio-collars;
- insecticide-soaked accessories that kill insects.
The principle of operation of the product and the rules for its use are indicated in the instructions.
At what age can a kitten wear a collar??
For kittens, the problem with blood-sucking parasites can be very urgent. The immunity of newly born babies is still underdeveloped, so fleas can cause serious diseases.
- Collars that work on the basis of natural ingredients, kittens can be put on from one and a half months of age.
- It is allowed to wear a flea collar with insecticides starting from six months, when the kitten grows up and gets stronger.
Can the collar be worn on a pregnant or lactating cat??
Flea collars are not recommended to protect cats while they are waiting or nursing kittens. The chemical compounds that make up the product can negatively affect the body of the female and the development of babies.
This is especially true for accessories impregnated with insecticides. In case of urgent need, you can dress a pregnant or lactating cat with a bio-collar, which is much less dangerous for her health and offspring.
Before choosing a flea collar and putting it on a cat, you need to make sure that the pet has no contraindications, which include:
- age (collars are not recommended for kittens under the age of 1.5 months and older animals);
- health status (cats with weakened immunity or existing diseases should not be protected from fleas with a collar);
- tendency to allergies (the active substance can cause lacrimation, vomiting, skin irritation).
You should also refrain from using a collar if the cat has abrasions, scratches and other damage to the skin on the neck.
When purchasing an anti-flea collar for cats, you need to know the basic rules of its use in order to save the animal from inconvenience, and yourself from eliminating undesirable consequences. Key recommendations:
- the accessory should be printed immediately before use;
- first, the collar must be stretched and stretched a little;
- in the case when flea drops were treated, the collar can be put on the cat no earlier than 10 days after the procedure;
- the accessory should fit snugly enough to the fur, but not squeeze the animal’s neck (a gap of about 1 cm should be left between the collar and the neck);
- the collar must be properly secured with a clasp, and the dangling end must be cut off so that the cat cannot lick or chew it.
Do not wear collars designed for other animals, such as dogs, on your cat. Exceeding the dosage of the active substance can cause malaise or poisoning of the pet.
Bio collars for cats
Bio-collars do not contain chemical insecticidal substances. They are impregnated with essential oils of medicinal plants such as:
Bio flea collar for cats.
The remedy acts only on parasites. They can be used to protect a kitten under two months old. The drug is harmless to the pet. In addition, the active substances contained in it improve the condition of the skin and coat of the animal.
However, it only works if the kitten has no fleas. The wool should be inspected first. Eggs, larvae and fleas can be detected under a magnifying glass. If insects are found, you first need to rid the pet of them. After that, you can put on the accessory. It protects the animal for 3-4 months.
We live with our family in a private house. A kitten has recently been nailed. They did not know his age. After examining the wool, a large number of fleas were found. I got a Bolfo collar. After a day, the pet’s fleas disappeared. In addition, did not treat the kitten with anything.
I took a Scottish Fold kitten. He was at home all winter, so he had no parasites. In the spring, they began to walk the animal on the street. Fleas appeared within a few days. I bought a collar Bars. The clasp is comfortable. The cat did not try to take it off, wears it all the time. The parasites disappeared after 3 days.
I picked up a cat on the street in winter. He had a lot of parasites. I got a cheap Celandine collar. The best option in terms of price and quality. Within a week, the fleas disappeared. The pet did not try to reset the attachment.
How to choose the right pet collar
In addition, the expiration date of the product should be checked. Models for pregnant cats, kittens and adult animals are selected separately. Before purchasing a collar, you should carefully study its composition. The most dangerous for a pet are organic phosphates, amitraz and permethrin.
Advantages and disadvantages
Collars have disadvantages and advantages. The advantages of such funds include:
- low risk of overdose;
- long-term protection.
The accessory can serve as an indicator of the cat’s belonging to the person. You can write the owner’s phone number on it. The use of this device does not require pre-treatment with sprays and shampoos.
Flea collars for cats.
The disadvantages include a pungent odor that can provoke the restless behavior of the animal. Active substances can cause dermatitis, allergies and other disorders in the cat. A device that is too tight is uncomfortable for the pet. It takes a long time to destroy the parasite population. The cat can catch on a branch, snag, etc. and be injured.
Safety rules when wearing
Choose a product that is suitable for your cat. Do not wear a dog attachment on your cat. It is not recommended to cut the collar strap in half. The thickness of the fixture is designed for one animal. Cutting the tape will reduce its effectiveness. The collar must be stretched and stretched before use.
You need to fix the tape so that it does not squeeze the neck and does not dangle. The gap between the tape and the neck should be at least 1 cm so that it does not interfere with the pet when moving. Some owners fix the device on the neck only for the duration of the animal’s walk. After removal, the collar must be stored in a plastic bag in a place protected from sunlight.
Review of the best collars from well-known manufacturers and prices
Quality products are produced by domestic and foreign manufacturers.
The following brands of collars received high marks:
“Celandine”. one of the best collars for cats against fleas.
- Dana Ultra.
Dana Ultra accessories contain active ingredients such as ivermectin, fipronil and pyriproxyfen. It can be used to protect kittens over 90 days old. The cost of the accessory is 250 rubles.
The Narts accessory is produced by an American company. The composition of this drug has been active for more than 7 months. The accessory is moisture resistant. It does not have an unpleasant odor. The device has a secure lock. The price of the drug is 200-300 rubles.
The Beaphar accessory includes natural ingredients. It has antiparasitic, antifungal and antiviral effects. The active ingredients present in the accessory improve the condition of the pet’s skin and coat. It can be used to protect animals over 60 days old. Accessory price. 200-250 rubles.
Celandine remedy is produced by a Russian manufacturer. It contains permethrin, so it can be used to protect kittens. The price of the device is 50-75 rubles.
Bolfo contains propoxur. This substance is characterized by low toxicity. The device can be used to protect pregnant females. The accessory can be worn for kittens over 2.5 months old. The cost of the accessory is 500 rubles.
The Bars device includes fipronil and insect growth regulating agents. The accessory can be used to protect kittens from six months of age. The price of the drug is 200 rubles.
Type of Collar to Get for a Kitten : Kittens & Cat Care
At what age can a kitten wear a collar?
Biological collars can be put on kittens from the second month of life. Earlier application may be harmful to the health of the animal. A device containing insecticides that cats can wear at six months of age.
Flea collars can be worn by kittens from two months of age.
Does a pet cat need a collar
It is desirable for every animal to have protection against parasites. This is due to the fact that insects can enter the house, infecting even a domestic cat. They do this through other animals or with human clothing and footwear. In this case, the collar will be a good preventive measure.
How does a flea collar work?
A flea collar for cats works in the same way as other antiparasitic drugs, shampoos, drops, etc. Each product contains an active ingredient, mainly organophosphates, peritroids and carbamate pesticides. They operate according to the same principle, so there is not much difference between them. Active ingredients are placed in a special capsule located in the collar shell.
During operation, insecticides simultaneously destroy fleas located on the skin and, at the same time, scare off parasites in the external environment. At the moment when fleas come into contact with toxic substances, their impulses from the central nervous system are blocked. Paralysis sets in, and the insect dies.
The components used are based on the contact-intestinal principle of action and, at the same time, have a low degree of toxic hazard. As long as necessary precautions are taken, insecticides should not affect the cat’s health.
How long does the collar last?
You can find out exactly how much to wear a flea collar for cats in the manufacturer’s instructions. Each model has its own terms. The standard product lasts for 2 months, more expensive collars can function for up to 6 months.
An allergic reaction can be manifested by the following symptoms:
- itching, scratching of the skin up to hair loss;
- increased salivation;
- impaired coordination of movements;
Such a clinical picture can demonstrate not only allergies, but also poisoning, so the collar must be replaced in any case. The most severe symptoms will be indicative of the latter, while an allergic reaction is most often manifested by itching and itching in the neck.
Contraindications and side effects
Among the contraindications for use are the period of pregnancy, lactation, as well as the young age of the animal. These are the cases when the antiparasitic drug will not help, but rather interfere, especially if it has strong toxic components.
The use of a flea collar has a number of possible side effects:
- toxic poisoning.
In the first case, the components of the composition are negatively perceived by the cat’s body, in the second, the toxic substance gets inside due to the close contact of the animal with the collar. In case of any manifestation of these symptoms, it is necessary to remove the product and consult a veterinarian. Since the risks when using a collar are quite significant, the first 3-4 hours after the start of use, you must carefully monitor the condition of the cat.
Cat flea and tick collar: which is better
Preventive protection against the influence of external parasites is necessary for free-range cats, communicating with other animals, and even those who are constantly at home. There are different ways to solve the problem. Among others. a flea collar for cats. It is a useful accessory to prevent parasitic infestation. It is necessary to select a product taking into account its functional characteristics, the age and weight of the pet.
Is it possible for pregnant and lactating cats
It is not recommended for animals that are pregnant and lactating to wear a collar. A pregnant and lactating cat is especially vulnerable to insecticides, which can negatively affect her health and the health of her offspring. In the future, this can lead to developmental abnormalities in kittens and make feeding dangerous. If necessary, it is better to use models created with essential oils.
This product usually comes with a cat door. Most common in private homes in the West. The essence of the product is that it contains a special magnetic key that fits the cat’s door. When the cat approaches the door, it reacts to the key and opens. This mechanism prevents other animals from entering the house.
What are collars
There are many types of collars for cats, each of which is designed for specific purposes.
Such collars are not used all the time, but only for preventive purposes during the period of peak activity of fleas and ticks. They are impregnated with a special poisonous compound, which, with its smell, scares away parasites on the one hand, and on the other, it is absorbed into the skin and hair of the animal and kills insects if they do stick.
How to fit a collar for your cat
This pest control method can be used in combination with other antiparasitic agents, for example, sprays or drops on the withers. The action of such a strap is short-lived. only a few months, so it needs to be replaced periodically.
This collar is treated with a special soothing compound containing pheromones.
Recommended to be worn by restive and pugnacious animals, however, veterinarian advice is required before use, as the pet may be allergic.
At what age is it better to teach
Veterinarians agree that it is necessary to accustom a cat to a leash at an early age, then the resistance to training is less and the animal gets used to the new accessory faster. However, you should not put a collar on kittens that have not yet reached six months of age. In childhood, cats have a very fragile skeleton, the cervical vertebrae are weak, so even an accidental careless action of the kitten in the strap can cause neck injury and even lead to death.
Thus, the best time to train your pet for a collar is from the age of six months. It is also not worth delaying the training, since the adults more zealously resist learning and for a long time do not want to accept a new accessory.
Why do cats need a collar
Any domestic cat can wear a strap around its neck, and it will be of some benefit. This is especially true for animals that have free range, and are more susceptible to various dangers than others. Your cat may need to wear a collar because:
- the presence of a strap on the neck in itself makes the animal calmer and more obedient, prone to training;
- the strap can bring specific benefits. to protect the animal from ticks and fleas, be equipped with a search beacon, bell, reflector, a tag with the contact details of the owners. All these devices are very necessary if the cat often walks by itself;
- if the pet has such a strap on its neck, it allows you to deal with the affective behavior of the animal much faster and easier. to drag the grappling fighters away, calm the scared cat, bring the resisting pet to the veterinarian for examination, with less effort to atone for the protesting animal;
- special self-unfastening harnesses for walking allow you to comfortably walk the cat on a leash;
- sometimes the only function of the collar is decorative, when this object is just a beautiful, decorated with stones or other decor with a ribbon.
To avoid strangulation, some collars have special fasteners that unfasten in a similar situation, while others are equipped with elastic inserts that stretch and allow the stuck animal to slip out of the strap.
Such straps have a reflective tape that can go along the entire product, or they are completely made of reflective material, or they have a reflective keychain.
The main purpose of this accessory is to protect the cat at night from collisions with cars on the road, making it noticeable. Reflective elements begin to glow in the dark if they are hit by a beam of light, for example from the headlights of a car, and the driver is more likely to be able to see the animal and avoid a collision. Although, of course, the most reliable way to keep a pet’s life is not to let him go for a walk in the dark.