Wet food. pros and cons
Wet food comes in the form of canned food, and consists of pieces of meat and vegetables with gravy. Wet food looks and tastes more like natural food. And even picky pets like it.
But the wet food after opening must be consumed on the same day. The product cannot be stored without a refrigerator, and over time it loses its taste, which does not remain unnoticed by the cat.
Is it right to feed only wet food??
If the food is of high quality, then nothing threatens the cat’s health, even if you constantly feed it only with wet food. But put yourself in your pet’s shoes.
Could you eat the same dish every day? I think that the cat will not like the idea of eating only wet food either, and she will protest. In addition, canned cat food is much more expensive than dry food, so such feeding will cost the owner a pretty penny.
How to feed your cat dry and wet food
You can feed your cat only with dry and wet food of the premium and holistic class. Most of the popular brands of cat food are economy class, which means they are made from meat industry waste that is not used to prepare human food.
Interestingly, the cat would also not eat these foods in their natural form. Therefore, the cunning manufacturer adds special stimulators of food receptors to the feed, which awaken the appetite in pets and cause addiction, thanks to which the pet no longer recognizes other food than the “favorite” food.
Commercial food, both dry and wet, is designed to provide a balanced diet for your cat. Each manufacturer has its own recipe and its own recommendations for feeding the animal.
You should adhere to the feeding regimen declared by the manufacturer. But the main thing is not to combine dry and wet food with natural nutrition, as this can cause hypervitaminosis and problems with the digestive system.
Indeed, for the digestion of feed and natural food, the cat’s stomach produces various enzymes.
Can cats be fed dry and wet food at the same time?
Alternating food is a good way to diversify her diet without compromising her health. But do not give your cat both dry and wet food in the same feeding. You can’t mix them, they don’t match.!
Natural food. pros and cons
Natural food for a cat, like everything natural, is certainly better. But not every owner will be able to provide it to his pet.
A cat’s natural diet should include:
- boiled or baked meat;
- milk products;
- vitamin complex.
At the same time, you will have to create a balanced menu for your pet every day and independently, armed with methodological literature and measuring all ingredients by grams.
As for the cost of such food, it will not be significantly cheaper, taking into account the time spent on cooking and purchasing food.
Feeding your cat from the table is not healthy food, but useless calories for the animal.
Dry food. pros and cons
Dry food is cheaper than wet food. It is available in both small and large packages. It can be easily taken on the road, or to the country. Opening the package does not affect its shelf life.
Dry food is produced in the form of hard croquettes of various shapes and sizes, depending on the age of the animal.
But a cat eating dry food needs more liquid. With this kind of feeding, she should always have a full bowl of water.
In addition, not all cats accept dry food favorably.
Is it possible to combine natural food and dry
To begin with, this is a completely meaningless idea. If you know how to prepare a balanced diet for your pet and have time for it, then is it worth feeding your cat dry food? And giving the cat fresh milk to dry food will not be useful for her. After all, she will receive the necessary complex of vitamins and nutrients from the feed.
When feeding a cat, you can combine dry and wet food. The main thing is to do it with care and love.
Is it possible to feed a dog food and natural food at the same time?
This is one of the hottest dog feeding issues today. The opinions of experts often diverge in diametrical directions.
In any case, no dog “sits” completely on drying all his life. She is fed on training, sometimes from the table, often a pet trades in a trash can. At the same time, the owners do not notice any deterioration in the dog’s health.
The food manufacturers themselves recommend mixing canned food into the bowl if the dog does not eat well. And this is already the most real combination.
Any experienced and competent breeder introduces additional nutrition into the diet of puppies, puppies and lactating bitches, stud dogs.
So you can mix food? Yes, but you have to do it right.
Do not mix granules and natural food in the same bowl. Digestion of drying and, for example, meat, occurs in different ways. Natural food is distinguished by high moisture content, food begins to ferment immediately, it requires more gastric juice and higher acidity. Having filled the stomach with meat, the dog will digest it for a long time, the gastrointestinal tract is adapted for this type of nutrition. On the contrary, dry food is digested much faster. Once in the stomach, the granules first “lie down” for a long time, swell, soaked in moisture and gastric juice, and only then are digested. By mixing dry food and meat (cottage cheese, kefir, etc.) together, you will not help the dog’s digestion, the food simply will not have time to swell and will pass in transit without giving the body nutrients.
Introduce natural either in the evening or in the morning, or on certain days of the week. Optimal. in the morning you give dry food, in the evening meat with vegetables. After a meal, at least 8 hours should pass before the next meal.
Only those foods that are really needed should be added. This means that you do not need to put a bowl of porridge, cereals in the evening for your pet, and so it will be enough in dry food. Add meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, berries, offal, fish.
Don’t overdo it. If you feed your dog with holistic food (Akana, Gow, Grandorf, etc.), then you do not need to add more kilograms of meat, cottage cheese, offal on top. Such feeds are quite rich in proteins and fats, as a result, the pet can easily earn protein allergies and something even worse. Natural food can be introduced in addition to premium and super-premium food (and if you have an economy class, then it is better to completely switch to natural food).
Mixed feeding is only suitable for healthy dogs. If you have a young, healthy, full of strength working dog, then it will perfectly adapt to the combined nutrition. Taking a puppy, be very attentive to the recommendations of the breeder on feeding, it is best to feed the dog at first in the same way as it was at home. However, in older dogs, in individuals with gastrointestinal problems, such nutrition may not go well. In this case, you must follow the diet prescribed by the veterinarian.
The average pet with minimal exertion does not need additional food at all. If you do not have the task of fattening the dog (in an exhausted state), you give an excellent balanced food not lower than a super-premium class, then the dog will live without any problems only on drying, sometimes getting pieces of meat, vegetables, fruits for training.
The introduction of natural food is justified for puppies, puppies and lactating bitches, as well as for service and sport dogs with increased physical and mental stress.
Monitor your dog’s condition. Evaluate the state of health, activity, and necessarily a chair. For any changes (loose stools, lethargy, skin lesions), you should contact your veterinarian and review your diet.
With the right approach, the dog will be healthy, happy and well-fed.
Titova Ekaterina (instructor of the Doggy Center)
Regardless of the age of the pet, in order to feed it correctly, you should divide the daily volume of the selected feed several times. Adult dogs are usually fed twice a day, at least 12 hours apart. Puppies up to three months old can receive food 5-6 times a day, in equal small portions.
It is better to feed pets of large and medium breeds only after a walk, which will help to avoid volvulus in case of increased physical activity of the animal. In fact, this also applies to small dogs, but among them a genetic tendency to such a violation is relatively less common. If, due to their age, puppies still cannot normally eat large dry granules, at first they can be soaked in warm water for about 20–40 minutes, but in no case mixed with natural food. After a meal, the pet must rest for at least an hour, it is better to completely exclude active games at this time.
On average, the total daily intake of dry food (g / day) is calculated based on the weight of the animal, its activity, so there are always several options:
Vet Advice | Should I Feed My Dog Wet or Dry Food?
|Dog weight (kg)||Low activity (up to two hours of exercise per day)||High activity (more than 5 hours a day)|
|more than 50||520-595||820-935|
How to calculate the required feed dosage
Obesity is dangerous for dogs for many reasons, because it not only reduces their physical activity, but also disrupts the work of many internal organs: the heart, pancreas, liver. It is possible to determine whether a dog is eating by its behavior after a meal: a well-fed animal calmly gives a bowl and often go to bed immediately. An insufficient amount of food causes increased anxiety, a desire to chew on various objects in the house, a violation of the growth and development rates (relevant for young dogs).
The calculation of the optimal amount of dry food is often performed based on age and the required amount of daily calories, therefore, when organizing nutrition for puppies up to a year, you can use the following table:
|Dog’s age in months||Daily feed rate in grams per 1 kg of body weight||Daily amount of required calories per 1 kg of body weight|
|Until the 1st||15–20||220-250|
|8-12||30-700 (depends on the size and general activity of the pet)||100-130|
Of course, small breed dogs will end up eating less, so owners can buy smaller packs. For example, for an animal weighing 2–5 kg under normal loads, only 80 g of dry granules per day are needed, while for large dogs heavier than 50 kg and the same daily regimen will require at least 520 g of feed per day.
The benefits and possible harm of dry food for the dog’s body
Dry dog food, like any other product, has its pros and cons, therefore, before making a final decision on transferring a dog to such food, it is worth studying each of them.
The advantages of using dry food will be:
- balanced nutrition of the animal, because even low-quality products contain proteins, fats, basic vitamins and minerals necessary for a dog, not to mention the amino acid taurine, which is not always a part of the diet for self-cooking;
- saving money when buying products of the middle and expensive segments, because in any case, high-quality meat, vegetables and cereals for the same feeding period are unlikely to be cheaper;
- the possibility of long-term storage of feed (without a refrigerator, it will not lose its basic properties within 12-18 months, which cannot be said about fresh meat);
- ease of use (the owner does not have to stand at the stove, it is enough just to pour the food from the bag into the dog’s bowl, regardless of the location of the animal).
How to Make My DOG EAT DRY FOOD! 5 Easy TRICKS!
The benefits of high-quality dry dog food are obvious, but at the same time, some owners talk about the dangers of such products, arguing their point of view as follows:
- an excessive amount of carbohydrates in dry food (“by eye” it will not be possible to determine where there is more loaf, and where there is meat);
- the complexity of calculating the optimal amount of food and the ease of overfeeding the animal (dry granules often seem to be not nutritious, especially if the animals at home have a good appetite);
- low moisture content in the granules, due to which, if the pet’s drinking regime is improperly controlled, problems with the genitourinary system and kidneys may appear.
Whether it will be useful to feed the dog with dry food. first of all, depends on the quality of the product, therefore, in order to avoid buying junk food, you should not pay attention to dubious products of little-known companies, especially if its cost differs significantly from the average market.
Changing the brand of dry food
There are various brands of food on the market today, so it is not always easy to decide which dry product is best for a particular dog. Some dogs immediately reject all the options offered by the owner, others change their taste preferences after several years of consuming the same dry product, but in any case, its change should be smooth, taking into account the following scheme:
- From the first to the third day, only 25% of the usual food changes, leaving 75% of the food already familiar to the pet.
- From the fourth to the sixth day, the proportion of new food in the diet increases to 50%.
- Starting from the seventh day, the amount of recently purchased feed can already be 85% of the daily food volume, and from the thirteenth day, a complete transition to a new diet is allowed.
The granules of the already familiar and new food are mixed with each other before each feeding, although, if desired, the owner can prepare a small amount of dry food for several days, distributing the ratio in the above way. If, after several days of new nutrition, the pet has a disorder in the work of the digestive system, it becomes lethargic and completely refuses food. it is better to consult a veterinarian and not rush to further introduce a replacement product into the diet. Until it is possible to determine the true cause of the problem, it is better that the proportion of new feed is no more than 10% of the total daily food intake.
In addition, when deciding to change the brand of dry food, it is worth considering some other recommendations:
- You should not replace the products of an expensive line with options for a cheap segment, it is best to feed the animal with super-premium or premium feed.
- In no case should you change dog food for cat food, even if the dog eats the food of its neighbor with pleasure.
- When choosing a dry product, be sure to take into account the age, level of activity and size of the pet, because an active lapdog is not suitable food for sedentary representatives of large breeds.
- A bowl of water must be freely accessible for the dog, regardless of the season and weather conditions.
Often, inappropriate dry food becomes the main cause of problems with the skin and organs of the digestive tract of the dog, and the owner does not always immediately discover the true cause of the existing disorder. First of all, the owner should be alerted by the following symptoms:
- persistent stool disorder: diarrhea or frequent constipation;
- large volumes of feces, that is, how much the dog eats, so much comes out in the process of defecation;
- a change in the normal color and odor of feces (they usually turn greenish or gray, acquiring a strong fetid odor);
- unreasonable itching in the anal area or anywhere else on the body, with a loss of the natural shine of the coat (animals often scratch their ears);
- increased tearing and redness of the whites of the eyes, especially if their appearance coincided with a change in feed.
The systematic manifestation of all of the above disorders requires their immediate solution, otherwise there is a serious likelihood of the appearance of a chronic form of the disease, which is much more difficult to cope with.
How to choose food
Considering the importance of a balanced nutrition of the dog, the choice of ready-made dry food should be approached with all responsibility.
There are several main varieties of such products, so the following criteria cannot be ignored:
- Class. All ready-made feeds belong to one of four classes: economy (instead of meat, animal fat, meat and bone meal, soybeans, preservatives are used), premium (include fish, poultry, offal and vegetable components, without soy), super premium (only from natural meat and are balanced taking into account the age and breed of the animal), holistic (in addition to meat, they contain lentils, brown rice, herbs, berries, fruits and vegetables). The last two options are deservedly considered the most suitable type of food for a domestic dog, due to their diverse mineral composition and the presence of a sufficient amount of fiber.
- Age and breed characteristics of a domestic dog. The active growth of puppies and their burning of more calories made it necessary to choose foods with more proteins, calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus. Depending on the size and growth rate of babies, their optimal ratio of these components is selected: for example, a small mastiff needs more calcium to strengthen the skeletal system than a Shih Tzu puppy, because due to the peculiarities of the breed, the load on the paw bones will be greater. Adult animals need less protein and absorb vegetable and animal fats much better. The amount of these components is reduced only in products for older animals, where they are replaced mainly by easily digestible carbohydrates and minerals that strengthen aging joints. The size of the croquettes of the food depends on the size of the dog: for small breeds, the pellets will be smaller than for feeding dogs of large and giant varieties.
- The composition of the feed and the distribution of the amount of its main components in the total volume. The first on the list of “composition” of any feed is the product, which is in it the most. Ideally, it should be meat (if the dog is allergic, preference is given to beef, lamb or salmon). The use of offal is allowed, but only if they do not mean skin and feathers, but the insides of cattle and poultry. Probiotics, cereals and vegetables (primarily carrots) will be no less useful components, but corn is not always well absorbed, so it is better to avoid feed with its presence in the composition. Pet eggs will be more beneficial as a whole product than as a powder, so do not look for this ingredient in the feed description. Preservatives should be only natural (preferably with vitamins E and C), but ingredients under the names “E320”, “E321” should be avoided.
- Special purpose of feed, which can be therapeutic or prophylactic, intended for pregnant or lactating females, weakened animals and pets prone to gaining excess weight. Medicinal feeds always differ in their composition, and it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of a particular disorder. For example, in case of diseases of the cardiovascular system, it is better to feed the dog with food with increased magnesium, potassium, sodium, taurine, L-carnitine, if the animal is diagnosed with food allergies, hypoallergenic products are suitable, and for dogs with overweight it is better to choose dry food with low m fat, helping to adjust the existing indicators.
Among the most popular feeds in 2020 in the expensive segment are:
- NOW Natural Holistic (does not contain animal fats and by-products);
- Summit Holistics (has a line of products for sterilized animals);
- Barking heads (like the previous options, it includes only natural meat, contains iodine and is free from any dyes, flavors and preservatives).
Among the products of the budget line, consumers distinguish:
- Pronature holistic (the main component is poultry and cattle meat);
- Dog chow (produced in the form of a universal food, as well as food for small and large dogs);
- NERO GOLD super premium (it has a variety of meat types, includes cereals, oatmeal and potatoes, ideal for feeding dogs prone to allergies);
- Royal canin (you can choose food for a dog of any size and age, but in any case it will be of high quality).
Switching from natural food to dry
With prolonged feeding “natural”, the dog’s digestive system is tuned to digest cereals, vegetables and meat, which often takes a little longer than in the case of feeding ready-made dry granules.
The owner can change the pet’s diet at any stage of his life, but only if the following conditions are met:
- You cannot change porridge for dry food in one day. Usually the adaptation process takes at least two weeks. The usual feed volume should be divided into seven parts. For the first two days, the dog is given six parts of natural food and one part of the selected dry food. On the third day, the pet is given 2 parts of dry granules and 5 parts of natural food, continuing to reduce the amount of natural food used with each subsequent day.
- At first, it is advisable to soak solid dry granules in water, so that they will become more like semi-solid food familiar to a dog.
- Before introducing feed into the menu, it is important to take into account the total daily food intake of the animal, calculating exactly how many vegetables, cereals, meat, offal and fermented milk products the pet eats. In the future, this will help to calculate the required amount of vitamins and minerals.
- Do not mix ready-made and self-prepared food. It will be better if the dog eats dry food in the morning and dines on the usual porridge. A sharp change in the menu or the simultaneous consumption of a dissimilar food by a pet threatens to disrupt the functioning of the digestive system and even stress.
Young and completely healthy dogs usually tolerate a change in diet without problems, but if the animal has problems with the gastrointestinal tract or other abnormalities in health, it is better to discuss this decision with your veterinarian. A specialist will help you choose the most suitable dry product, possibly with medicinal properties.
How to properly feed your dog dry food
Dry food contains all the vitamins and minerals a dog needs, but maximum benefit from it can only be achieved with dosed use of the product. The feeding regimen and the number of pellets given to the dog depend on the age and body weight of the animal, the rhythm of its life and physical activity, therefore, in each individual case, there will be its own characteristics when calculating the portion size.
How much water do you need
A dog needs water not only when eating dry food, but also when eating natural food, although it is ready-made food that often causes thirst. How strong it will be largely depends on the activity of the animal, its weight and ambient temperature, therefore, when calculating the optimal amount of liquid consumed along with dry food, it is important to take these criteria into account. To determine the minimum permissible amount of water per day (if there is no serious physical activity), the weight of a pet in kilograms must be multiplied by 20 mg of liquid, and with increased activity of the animal and high ambient temperatures. by 70 mg. That is, a ten-kilogram pet should drink 200-700 ml of liquid per day, but it is best to leave a bowl of clean water near the resting place so that the dog itself can replenish fluid reserves in the body as soon as it needs it.
Is it possible to feed the dog only dry food?
Dry food is specially designed to serve as a constant diet for a dog, providing its body with everything it needs throughout its life. However, some owners find this food too monotonous and are concerned about whether it is healthy enough. Especially in order to dispel their doubts, we wrote this article.
Feed feed. strife
Food is a very individual thing, and one animal will feel good on food that is completely unsuitable for another. Individual reactions, of course, must be taken into account, but still, unlike absolutely omnivorous people, the nutritional needs of dogs are limited and can be satisfied mainly by food with a high m of meat. If this component is not enough in the diet, then certain health disorders are inevitable, therefore, if you are going to feed the dog only dry food, choose the product correctly.
Sources of animal protein should be the basis of the feed, and carbohydrates should be minimized. To understand how much meat is in a food, you need to look at the first five ingredients on the list of ingredients. These should be meat components, preferably added fresh (this way more nutrients are preserved) and named quite clearly and clearly. without streamlined formulations, such as “meat and its processed products”, “sources of animal protein”, etc.
It is advisable to avoid foods containing grains, as they are completely unsuitable for feeding dogs, they have a low nutritional value for predators and at the same time are high in calories, which can lead to excess weight and the risk of diabetes.
With the right choice of dry food, the dog will feel great, and you will immediately notice this by the activity of the pet, its shiny coat and the impeccable functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. This food can feed a dog all his life without any harmful consequences.
Don’t forget about feeding rules
High-quality dry food is a completely nutrient-balanced product that does not require any additional additives other than water. Of course, you need to take special care of it, since the moisture content of ready-made industrial rations is very low, and the dog must constantly replenish the lack of fluid in the body. Therefore, the availability of water and the cleanliness of the pet bowl should be your constant concern.
It is equally important to monitor the amount of food consumed by the dog. Of course, we have all heard stories about how a certain Labrador, left unattended, halved a 20-kg package of dry food in one sitting without much harm to the body. But such cases are exceptions, usually the owners themselves regularly give the dog more than necessary, slowly but surely undermining the pet’s health.
Dry food is a highly concentrated product, so if you sprinkle granules by eye, you will definitely be mistaken in a big way, because it seems to us that a pitiful handful at the bottom of the bowl is clearly not enough to feed the dog. Aware of this characteristic “optical illusion”, manufacturers put feeding norms on the packaging, which must be adhered to, no matter how small they seem to you. Systematic overfeeding inevitably leads to excess weight, which disrupts the functioning of the whole body.
Healthy Foods to Feed Your Dog
Some owners believe that you can only feed your dog dry food, and add canned food or other foods to it for a change. We do not advise you to do this, because the balance of the diet in this case is disturbed, and it is impossible to guarantee the supply of all nutrients, macro- and micronutrients in sufficient quantities.
Of course, rewarding your pet is necessary, but it is better to do this with the help of special meat treats for dogs, and not with food from the table. The share of treats should not exceed 10% of the total daily portion of dry food, and the portion itself should be reduced in order to avoid overfeeding and the formation of improper eating behavior in the dog.
If you carefully consider the choice of diet and follow these simple rules, you can feed the dog only dry food, not only without risking its health, but also preserving it for many years.
Can I mix dry and wet dog food
Is it possible to feed a dog both dry and wet food at the same time? And is it possible to mix dry food with wet food in one bowl?
Each dog is different. Some animals require more protein, others require more carbohydrates. The taste preferences of animals are also different. Therefore, there are a number of general recommendations when choosing the type of feed.
- For puppies and older animals, it is better to give plenty of wet food. This option is more gentle on their teeth.
- Overweight dogs are best served with wet food as it contains more bulk. However, there is also dry food with sufficient m of protein.
- It is necessary to take into account the individual diseases of the animal. For example, in epilepsy, protein nutrition is preferable.
Despite the popularity of dry food, the importance of wet food in a balanced diet can hardly be overestimated, because their share of the total daily weight should be at least a quarter. That is why dry food can be mixed with wet food, it is even recommended.
Combining feed: benefit or harm
So why not mix dry food and natural dog food? It will be too difficult for the animal’s stomach to digest such different types of food, as a result of which the process of digesting food is difficult for dogs, metabolism is disturbed, and useful trace elements are lost.
On average, it takes no more than a couple of hours to completely digest food by the dog’s stomach, and the food begins to leave the stomach after forty minutes. But when feeding with solid granules, this process is much slower, and during these forty minutes it will only swell. That is, if you pamper your pet with dry food with natural food, the food will leave the stomach along with undigested pieces that will rot in the intestines. That is why the answer to the question of whether it is possible to feed these types of feed at the same time is strictly negative.
Is it possible to mix dry food with a wet puppy
Can the puppy be fed both wet and dry food? Yes, this combination is beneficial for the puppy’s health. Mixing dry food with wet food is necessary due to their characteristics.
Premium dry food is good for preventing oral diseases. They contain fiber, which improves digestion. Vitamins and minerals contribute to proper growth, and are also an excellent prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Wet food has a lower calorie content, which favorably affects the baby’s weight, minimizing the risk of obesity. Also, this type of food intake allows you to maintain water balance, which in the future will have a beneficial effect on the state of the urinary system.
From this we can conclude that puppies can and should be fed dry and wet food, combining these types of food. As he grows up, the puppy, familiar with food of different tastes and consistencies, will be well received with new eating patterns.
Remember: Mixed food does not involve combining two different rations in one bowl.
However, there is one important caveat: if you combine dry food with wet food, it can be dangerous for an animal that drinks little water. That is, if you give a dog, accustomed to wet food, drying, its gastrointestinal tract may not have time to adapt to the new type of food, and it will drink water in the same quantities. Lack of water in the body can lead to serious illness.
Is it possible to combine dry food and natural for dogs
The combination of natural products and dry food negatively affects the health of the pet. Feeding dry food and regular food at the same time can lead to serious consequences, such as excess protein or calcium deficiency. It is worth investigating in detail whether it is still possible to feed the dog with dry food and natural food at the same time.
Is it possible to feed the dog with dry and natural food at the same time?
The question of whether to feed the dog dry food and regular food at the same time torments many owners. To avoid problems with proper nutrition, you need to remember that a dog’s body is less adapted to a variety of foods than a human. The answer is unequivocal: it is strongly discouraged to feed the dog with natural food and dry food in one meal.
Pros and cons of dry dog food
Dry dog food has a number of positives:
- convenience of storage and ease of measuring portions;
- benefits for teeth and gums;
- relatively low cost.
- some manufacturers add animal fats to them, which is undesirable for the health of dogs;
- they contain a lot of gluten.
Feeding the puppies
For the good health of the adored crumbs, nutrition must always be balanced, so you need to know exactly what you can feed a month-old puppy. Taste preferences in dogs are formed in childhood. Therefore, having tasted natural food, animals are often reluctant to switch to solid industrial food.
What feeding option to choose for your pet
Everyone must determine for himself which food option is better to choose. After all, a balanced menu is very important for your pet’s health. This is especially true for puppies. You need to know exactly when the puppy can be fed dry food or it is better to leave it on natural products.
If you feed dogs dry food and natural food, an oversupply of vitamins may appear in the animal’s body, which is no less dangerous for a lack of them.
Do not forget that when changing feeds, it is necessary to gradually increase the portion of the new product, since a microflora has already been formed in the dog’s stomach, which is adapted to digest a certain type of food.
Economy class feed
Due to the low content of meat components and high inclusion of offal, the presence of preservatives, dyes, flavor enhancers of artificial origin, this class of dry food does not enjoy the approval of experienced dog breeders. It is possible to feed them to pets only occasionally, in cases of extreme necessity. it is better to switch to natural food or arrange fasting days for the shepherd dogs (if there are no contraindications to this), offering vegetable stews or other useful food.
Features of feeding a puppy with dry food
Since all the important characteristics and qualities of a dog are laid at a very early age, then, if you do not pay enough attention to the diet of the puppy, you can get problems with the physical and mental state of the shepherd in an older period.
Dry puppy food will help the owner get his pet off to a good start thanks to its balanced composition. Excessive calorie content of feed, overfeeding with an increase in the amount of food in one portion, an increase in the number of meals can lead to obesity in the future and subsequent problems with joints, musculoskeletal system, cardiovascular system.
Important! Underfeeding, unreasonable diet, poor feed in the nutritional component are fraught not only with lagging in physical development, but also with mental difficulties, difficulties with training.
Therefore, you should strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the packaging with dry food. The age of the puppy for which this food is designed, its calorie content, composition and other features with reference to the weight of the animal must also be indicated there. When choosing the right feed, you should consider:
- meat should prevail in the composition of the feed;
- too high protein can also harm the puppy;
- to maintain the parity of calcium and phosphorus, fish-based feed should not be overused;
- the amount of by-products should be minimal or absent altogether;
- the presence of preservatives is highly undesirable, especially synthetic ones;
- preference for feed. not lower than the super premium class or holistic class;
- the quality of feed by weight is more difficult to control, and it is better not to take them.
Other important points that owners of shepherd puppies should pay attention to when organizing their feeding:
- compliance with the number of feedings depending on age (6 times a day for an age of 1-2 months, 5. at 2-4 months, 4. at 4-6 months, 3. at 6-8 months, 2. from 8-9 months, in some cases. from the year of life);
- feeding regime. food by the hour. strengthens the puppy’s immunity, teaches discipline, has a beneficial effect on psychological health;
- dry food requires the constant availability of clean water in the round-the-clock availability of the pet.
Shepherd dry food lines
Dry feeds are subdivided into classes depending on the composition and price gradation.
What type of feed to choose for nutrition
At the moment, the main types of food for pet dogs are:
- canned food and offal;
- dry food;
- natural food.
Since canned food is considered the result of processing bones and by-products with the addition of various preservatives, fats and thickeners, such food will not bring much benefit to dogs, but they can negatively affect health and general condition. In addition, it is impossible to provide adequate nutrition with these feeds, and you will have to supplement the diet with natural products, which will increase the time and money spent on care.
Natural food, with proper preparation and selection, cannot harm the animal, however, they cannot provide adequate and rational nutrition. This process is especially costly for dog breeders caring for a large number of animals, because then you will have to spend most of the time on cooking and pay less attention to entertainment and games with pets.
Already at the production stage, dry food is balanced in terms of the content of the necessary components, scientifically calculated volumes of nutrients, vitamin supplements, and other useful and vital micro- and macroelements for the animal.
Dry food brings many benefits to dog owners:
- convenient storage and use: you do not need a large amount of dishes and containers for storing components, as when feeding natural food, its subsequent processing, cleaning, etc.;
- good shelf life even when stored in an open package, as opposed to a canned product;
- little time wasted for its acquisition and further use;
- less time, effort and other costs are spent on treating animals, purchasing additional vitamin supplements and multiple specialist consultations.
German shepherd dogs can be fed with dry food:
- good health at any age and at any stage of development;
- activity, strength for play and learning;
- physiological and mental maturity as they grow up;
- correctly laid down foundations of all characteristics, starting from childhood.
The dog will choose the most suitable type of food. The owner just needs to monitor the development of his pet and his state of health, using this or that type of product and draw appropriate conclusions, adjust the diet, referring, if necessary, for advice to nutrition specialists.
Dry food for the German shepherd
The German Shepherd is the standard of an active, intelligent and devoted four-legged human friend. The basis of her health and well-established image is nutrition. Good quality dry food will help owners of this breed to keep their pets in shape and high standards.
Premium class feed
It speaks of the higher quality of the ingredients contained there, but still far from ideal: although the by-products are of higher quality, they still remain the dominant component in comparison with meat, which is present here in small quantities. The basis of this class of feed is rice or other grains. It is difficult to provide a complete diet for a dog, especially for puppies, without the addition of vitamins and other types of additives.
Super premium feed
They can already provide an adult pet with completely necessary nutrients, since they contain at least a third of the composition of natural meat, healthy by-products, vitamins and micro and macro elements necessary for health.
It is interesting! The positive point is the absence of synthetic colors, aromas and enhancers of taste and smell in such feed.
For puppies, this class may be completely suitable, or it may not cover all the needs of a growing organism, and then the owner will have to contact a specialist to correct the nutritional composition or receive recommendations on the necessary supplements.
Features of feeding an adult dog
An adult dog should be transferred to two meals a day, observing the regimen (morning and evening). these postulates are also true for those who feed on dry food. An unshakable rule remains unhindered access of a shepherd dog to clean water. In addition, the correct positioning of bowls of food and water (at or just above the ribcage) will contribute to the correct development of the animal’s skeleton.
It is interesting! Feeding rates for one serving must be indicated on the package with reference to the weight and age of the dog. It should be understood that usually the portion rate will be the higher, the lower the grade of the selected feed.
The matured individual may need an individual approach to feeding due to any health problems, pregnancy or preparation for such a bitch, or before mating for a dog, as well as for lactating mothers. For such nuances, special dry food has been developed, where the calorie level and composition are adjusted to the necessary conditions.
If it is not possible to switch to such feeds, it is possible, taking into account the recommendations of experts, to correct feed rates in the following cases:
- in the summer, the portions are slightly reduced in quantity or calorie content, in the winter they are increased according to the same principle;
- an increase in the level of activity of the dog (participation in competitions, active rest during a vacation in nature) requires an increase in the portion by about 20%;
- during pregnancy and feeding bitches, it is advisable to increase the amount of feed by an average of 30%.
Vulnerable problem areas in the body of shepherd dogs can be: joints, skeleton as a whole, muscles due to tone, etc. Manufacturers also took care of such nuances and saturated the dry food market with appropriate products. So, there are feeds with increased m of calcium, vitamins, micro- and macroelements, containing Honda and glucosamine, taurine, biotin, riboflavin, etc.
But, ultimately, when determining a specific feeding rate, one should proceed from the appearance of the dog. If the pet is losing weight, you need to slightly increase the portion, but if it looks too full, reduce the diet.
Pros and Cons of Natural Feeding
- it is natural food for the animal;
- the possibility of drawing up an individual menu;
- confidence in the freshness of products.
- laborious preparation and storage;
- high price for quality products.
It is strictly forbidden to use fragile and tubular bones, fragments will damage the stomach
Dry granules can be divided into classes: economy, premium and super premium. They vary in price and composition.
Economy class feed
They are inexpensive (about 100. 120 rubles per kg). As a rule, they are produced in feed factories or meat processing plants, as an accompanying line that utilizes waste from the main production. If you read the composition, most of it is occupied by cereals and vegetable fats.
Economy brands include Chappi, Pedigri.
Dry food economy class pedigree
The best way to feed your dog, the opinion of the veterinarian
There are special formulations for puppies with increased m protein, for lactating bitches, dietary, canned food for castrated animals.
It is convenient to feed dry food. just pour the required amount into a bowl and put clean water next to it. However, there is a danger of erasing tooth enamel in dogs, if all the time it is fed only with hard granules. Veterinarians recommend that older animals soak granules in water.
In this case, the food is replaced with a hypoallergenic composition or the animal is transferred to natural.
I want to please my pet with something tasty, but at the same time give him the maximum amount of vitamins
The best way to feed your dog dry food or natural food
In this article I will provide a comparison of the diet for dogs, based on ready-made dry food and natural food (meat, cereals, vegetables). What are the advantages and disadvantages of such food. What is the best way to feed a pet for a novice dog breeder and why. Is it possible to mix feed at the same time, or to combine the opinion of the veterinarian.
Pros and cons of ready-made dry food
- ease of use;
- ease of storage;
- balanced composition.
- high price;
- the possibility of allergies.
Super premium class
Super premium is made up of the highest quality formulations of the Hills, Proplan, Akana brands. These granules are practically free of preservatives and non-natural additives, they rarely cause allergies.
Hill’s l / d Liver Care dry food for dogs to support liver health
, but it is justified by its high quality.
It implies a special production, with its own laboratories and developed recipes for different groups of animals. The likes of Royal Canin have been successfully used by dog owners around the world. Granules have a pleasant meaty smell, they are nutritious and are eaten with pleasure by animals.
Royal Canin Rottweiler 26 dog food (Royal Canin) 12 kg for Rottweilers