When to go to the vet
If you notice blood mixed with yellow bile, call your veterinarian. This is a sign of a more serious problem, such as a stomach obstruction, ulcer, or swelling. You also need to see a doctor if the cat is constantly nauseous for short periods of time, vomiting persists for two or more days, vomiting smells bad and looks like feces, or you do not see the cat drinking water.
Dehydration is a serious risk with persistent vomiting.
Finally, you should contact your veterinary clinic if your pet exhibits other symptoms such as:
- Breathing problems;
- Fever (increased body temperature);
- Stomach obstruction;
- Weight loss.
When visiting the veterinary service, it is advisable to have vomit samples with you for analysis. This will help establish a diagnosis of the disease in case of poisoning with toxins or the presence of parasites.
What causes vomiting blood
- A sharp foreign body, such as bones, can lead to internal injuries to the stomach or intestines;
- Inflammation of the esophagus or stomach;
- An ulcer of the esophagus or stomach;
- Poisoning with medicines used to treat a pet, as a result of inflammation or stomach ulcers;
- A blood clotting disorder as a result of liver failure or the ingestion of certain toxins (such as rat poison);
- Tumors of the esophagus or stomach;
- Reactions to certain medications;
- Intestinal worms;
- Blood from various organs: mouth, nose, esophagus, or swallowed from the lungs when sneezing.
- Starvation. If you vomit, you may want to consider fasting as a remedy. Most often, one day of fasting is enough to eliminate nausea. The idea is to give your cat’s stomach a break to reduce inflammation. Just make sure your pet has enough water throughout the day. After 24 hours, start feeding with soft foods such as cooked white rice. After 48 hours, you can go to normal food and feeding regimen. Eat a light diet if your cat does not improve significantly after 72 hours.
- Mint tea. Peppermint tea helps cure indigestion. it works great for humans and is equally effective for cats. Just brew a cup of mint tea and let it chill for a while. Give your pet a tablespoon of tea at regular intervals to calm the digestive tract and normalize digestion.
- Getting rid of hairballs. Since it is impossible to get cats to stop licking themselves, it is quite common to see them suffer from swallowed hairballs. It is important to do something to alleviate the situation, because if the fur is digested, the cat will suffer from vomiting or constipation. The best solution is to give your pet a tablespoon of mineral oil three times a week. You can add it to your regular feed. The oil works as a laxative and prevents constipation and vomiting due to hairballs.
How to determine the cause
Your veterinarian should do a physical examination of your cat and get your pet’s medical history, including any accompanying symptoms you may have noticed, in order to determine the exact reason why the cat is vomiting blood. A description of the symptoms along with an indication of the type of blood (fresh or old) will help the veterinarian narrow down the possible causes. You will probably need to pass some medical tests to determine the cause of the disease:
- CBC, urinalysis, and biochemical profile can be done to check your cat’s overall health, look for signs of infection, inflammation, check liver function.
- Endoscopy. examining a cat’s gastrointestinal tract using a narrow tube with a camera at the end to see if there are any lumps, ulcers, or foreign objects.
- An ultrasound or x-ray may be required to identify foreign objects, growths and examine the internal organs of the pet.
When to go to the vet
If you have tried all the other methods of solving the problem and intermittent vomiting continues, then you need to think about a visit to the veterinary clinic. Here are some tips to help you decide whether to take your pet to the vet or not:
- Pay attention to your cat’s appetite. If he is not interested in food, it is usually a sign that something is bothering him. Loss of appetite can also be associated with a serious condition. fatty liver.
- Note the frequency of vomiting. If your cat vomits a couple of times a day, there is no need to worry about it. Recurrent vomiting several times an hour is cause for concern.
- Watch how your cat drinks. If you notice a significant increase in thirst in your cat after vomiting, this may be due to kidney failure and associated toxicity.
- Watch your cat urinate. This is especially important when you have a cat that is sick and has other problems while urinating. This may be due to a blockage in the urinary tract.
What causes vomiting with bile
The cat vomits bile always on an empty stomach. The acidic bile irritates the stomach lining, which leads to vomiting. Most often, this problem can occur in cats with strictly set feeding times. If your cat is vomiting bile, try feeding small amounts of food four or five times a day, or filling your cat’s bowl full, allowing him to eat freely throughout the day. For some cat owners, free feeding does not work, as the pet completely empties the full bowl in one sitting. Those who go to work do not have the opportunity to be near the pet to feed it during the day. For such cases, there is a solution. there are special devices on sale that dispense certain portions of food at a set time. Such mechanisms are ideal for people with a busy schedule.
Treatment methods for cat vomiting with yellow liquid
- Mint tea. If your cat just has an upset stomach, peppermint tea can help soothe any nausea.
- Feeding baby food. Meat puree for baby food can help your cat deal with vomiting.
- Make sure the product is tier 1, which means no seasoning or salt has been added. avoid any irritating ingredients.
Cat tears with wool
Hairballs cause a lot of inconvenience. not only when cleaning the house, but also when they enter the cat’s stomach. Hair in the digestive tract can lead to serious health problems. The pet will still continue to lick its fur, so it’s worth considering how to solve this problem.
During licking, particles of hair are retained on the tongue of cats and are swallowed with saliva. Most of it passes through the digestive tract normally, but some hairs linger in the stomach and form clumps. As a result, the cat tears with fur and the lumps return outside.
When the pet is nauseous, a characteristic loud sound is emitted, as if someone was choking. If a cat tears with wool, then there is nothing to worry about. However, there are exceptions that you should pay close attention to, as they can lead to serious consequences:
- Incessant nausea, pressure from the hair, in which the lump does not come out;
- Loss of appetite;
Treatments for cat vomiting containing blood
- Anti-inflammatories to treat inflammation;
- Antibiotics for bacterial infections;
- Anthelminthics for parasitic worms;
- Surgery to remove tumors or foreign bodies;
- Treatment for poisoning may include taking activated charcoal or induction of vomiting;
- Stop taking medications that may cause vomiting.
Your cat may need hospitalization and supportive care. It is also possible to use a dropper to treat dehydration and to follow a diet to help the stomach rest. After the pet is able to eat, you need to feed it with an easily digestible but nutritious food until it recovers completely. Severe blood loss can lead to anemia, in which case a blood transfusion may be necessary.
When to run to the doctor
With repeated vomiting, you cannot postpone a visit to the veterinarian. In addition, there are a number of accompanying signs indicating the need for urgent medical attention:
- The cat has no interest in food. In conjunction with foamy vomiting, this is a very alarming symptom that causes suspicion of liver lipidosis.
- Intense thirst. When the animal does not leave the cup of water, there is a high probability of kidney disease.
- The cat does not urinate for a long time, although he drinks a lot.
- Vomiting occurs very often. up to several times in one hour.
Having found signs of a cat’s malaise, you should not wait for a miracle or self-medicate. Continuous vomiting for more than a day can provoke dehydration, which poses a serious threat to the pet’s life. Timely professional assistance provided will help alleviate the condition of the animal and prevent its death.
Why does the cat vomit with white foam
The gag reflex in representatives of the feline family is often a protective reaction to the ingress of a foreign object, irritants or pathogenic bacteria. In such cases, there is no cause for concern. Another thing is when vomiting is a sign of a serious pathology that requires immediate treatment. It is almost impossible to independently establish what exactly caused the spitting up of the foamy liquid, so a veterinarian’s consultation will never be superfluous. The most common causes of vomiting are:
- The most dangerous diseases are panleukopenia and feline distemper. In advanced cases, they can be fatal. Vomiting with white or yellowish foam, in which food particles are absent, often occur, without bringing relief to the animal.
- Infectious respiratory disease, when vomiting is accompanied by a cough, and there is a small amount of blood in the spit up foam.
- Inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal tract. The most harmless pathology among them is heartburn. Symptoms start immediately after feeding. Enteritis is a deadly disease, when prolonged diarrhea is added to the cat’s vomiting with white foam.
- Inflammation of the adrenal glands. Muscle weakness is noted, the animal becomes lethargic, and sugar levels go down. Without urgent assistance, the cat may die.
- Eating disorders is one of the most common causes of vomiting. When overeating, the body begins to resist the large amount of food eaten. High sensitivity in cats is also noted with a lack of food. Foamy vomiting occurs if the animal is not fed for a long time, which leads to the accumulation of hydrochloric acid, which irritates the stomach wall. A hungry diet for a cat should not last more than a day.
- Accumulation of fur in the stomach. This problem is especially relevant for long-haired breeds. When licked, the wool is swallowed inside, forming into dense lumps. Their irritation of the gastric mucosa causes the cat to vomit white foam.
- Worms and other parasites. The toxins formed in the course of their vital activity do not have time to be processed. The body responds to intoxication with vomiting, trying to get rid of harmful substances.
- Poisoning. Occurs as a result of the action of medications, household chemicals, bites of poisonous insects, accidental eating of poisonous grass.
A single vomiting with spitting up a small amount of foam is not a cause for panic. It is recommended to observe the pet during the day. the signs of discomfort may disappear the next day. If the situation worsens, the cat looks painful, lacks appetite, and does not postpone the visit.
Kota vomits white foam: why, what to do
Digestive problems that occur in pets are quite common for their owners. When a beloved cat begins to vomit with white foam, it causes a completely justified feeling of anxiety. It is important to determine how great the degree of danger is, and to be able to provide first aid if necessary.
What to do if the cat vomits white foam, but there are no obvious symptoms indicating a serious illness? When the pet’s condition does not cause concern, and you cannot get to the nearest veterinary clinic, you can try to help him with the help of a daily starvation diet. During this time, the digestive system is unloaded, due to which the damaged organ is restored. The next day, when the condition stabilizes and vomiting stops, you can give a little rice cooked in chicken broth. It is necessary to feed the cat often (up to six times a day), but in small portions. The volume of food is increased every day, while the number of feedings is reduced.
For common indigestion, mint decoction is effective. Having brewed and cooled it to 37⁰C, pour one tablespoon into the cat’s mouth immediately after vomiting.
If you suspect the accumulation of hairballs in the pet’s intestines, the cat is given a teaspoon of oil 3 times a week, adding it to the food. It has a laxative effect, which leads to the cessation of vomiting.
Diagnostics and treatment
First of all, the doctor determines the cause of the vomiting in the cat. To do this, the owner must be ready to answer a number of questions that help diagnose the pathology:
- Diet of a cat. What they fed him in the last days, were there any changes in nutrition.
- When did vomiting start and how often did it recur?
- The composition and amount of vomit. The release of copious white foam may indicate problems with bile secretion.
- Does the cat have an appetite.
- The presence of chronic or infectious diseases.
The analysis of the general condition of the animal is carried out. If symptoms are identified that cause suspicion of serious, dangerous pathologies, a blood and urine test is done. Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity, x-ray of the kidneys may be prescribed. Depending on the disease, a treatment regimen is selected, including medications, the implementation of measures aimed at preventing dehydration. Vomiting of white foam in a cat, associated with a violation of bile secretion, requires adherence to a diet and the use of special drugs that help restore the process.
It is better to show your pet to the veterinarian right away at the first sign of illness. Timely measures increase the chances of a speedy recovery, helping to return the cat to its former activity and good mood.
Violation of the feeding regime
Overfeeding of the pet is often the reason. Cats have poor hunger control (especially castrated males). If the owner feeds from the heart, without limiting the pet, cats eat too much. Too much overeating causes a natural reflex to clear the stomach. vomiting.
A distinctive feature is the presence of undigested food, the appearance of a problem immediately after eating. Vomiting is clean, slimy, with pieces of food. When normal power is restored, the problem disappears.
It is observed in shy pets who find it difficult to tolerate nervous tension. Vomiting is observed directly during a stressful situation, after which severe hair loss occurs. After elimination of tension, the pet returns to normal.
Cat vomits during pregnancy
Vomiting is a normal physiological reaction during pregnancy. There are two reasons:
- Pressure on the stomach from a swollen uterus;
- Intoxication at certain stages of pregnancy.
Attention! In the last week of pregnancy, vomiting is a harbinger of childbirth.
Vomiting is found after eating or in the morning. The problem is constantly observed, it gives the animal discomfort. The vomit often contains half-digested, undigested pieces of food. There are also no pathological inclusions (blood, bile, mucus). Only a small amount of white, yellow foam is allowed.
The mechanism is somewhat similar to the ICD, only the reason lies in the kidneys themselves. Filtration of blood is impaired, due to which toxins are not removed from the body. Urea accumulation leads to endogenous intoxication.
In addition to vomiting, there are symptoms (symptoms depend on the specific problem):
- Violation of the frequency of urination, the daily volume of urine (both upward and downward);
- Color change. Usually a transparent shade indicates the absence of urea, therefore, the blood is not filtered;
- Unpleasant ammoniacal odor from the mouth;
- Thirst, lack of appetite, its perversion;
- Lethargy, even fainting;
- In severe cases, tachycardia.
In this case, you must immediately contact your veterinarian.
Pukes during illness
Vomiting is a common symptom of many pathologies.
Vomiting occurs due to an allergic reaction to certain drugs. Also appears in case of poisoning with various medicines, dosage violation. Vomiting often develops due to the belief of the owners that cats can tolerate the same medications as humans. As a result, the breeder feeds them drugs that are poisonous for them.
Viral infections affecting the cat’s gastrointestinal tract are often the cause:
- Parvovirus enteritis;
- Coronavirus enteritis.
Infections can occur in a chronic, acute form. To avoid these diseases, you need to vaccinate the animal on time. Otherwise, at the age of 2-3 to 7 months, the pet runs the risk of picking up an infection.
Urolithiasis is more common in cats due to the specific structure of the excretory canal. The risk factor is low mobility, unhealthy diet. If the outflow of urine is difficult, the blood begins to filter poorly. This already leads to an increase in urea, endogenous poisoning.
In this case, bad breath, lethargy of the animal, and lack of appetite are added to the symptoms. You can also find that the cat has not gone to the toilet for 3-4 days. When probing the walls of the abdomen, a tense, full bladder is found. To eliminate the disease, change the diet, give the animal a diuretic.
Some funny cats
If you have these signs, you need to urgently contact your veterinarian. If not possible, give your cat Enterosgel, activated charcoal.
On the street, a cat can be poisoned by rat poison. Especially often occurs among pets who spend the summer in the country. If you are not using poison, it is worth asking neighbors. Perhaps one of them is using zoocides.
In the presence of an injury in the stomach, intestines, vomiting appears with impurities of blood:
- Bright scarlet blood. trauma in the stomach, esophagus, pharynx;
- Dark red blood, clotted. an ulcer in the stomach, duodenum;
- Red-brown evenly colored vomit. bleeding in the stomach, small intestine.
The cause is often gastrointestinal parasites, bones, small objects, and less often. the action of drugs, zoocides. Even with a single case of bloody vomiting, the animal should be shown to the veterinarian.
It is necessary to understand that the cause of bleeding when vomiting disappears does not always go away. It is especially often observed with helminthiasis, when bleeding appears periodically (if the wall is damaged), but the parasite lives in the digestive tract constantly.
Causes, signs and diagnosis of the disease
Only a veterinarian can determine the cause of the pathology. After all, such a phenomenon happens as a kind of protective reaction to the defeat of the body by pathogenic microbes or poisons, chemicals. Clean cats may regurgitate hair that gets into the stomach after brushing and licking. The above facts are not symptoms of any ailment. The doctor will help you to accurately diagnose the factors that led to the problem. With a direct examination of the animal, the specialist clarifies some of the nuances:
- What did the cat eat, whether it had access to chemicals. You need to know this in order to exclude the option of poisoning. Vomiting may be a pet’s reaction to eating stale food or changing the diet. Sometimes, when she eats quickly, she swallows air with the food. it creates the effect of white foam when belching.
- How often the pet vomits, at what time and when it happened for the first time. If vomiting of white foam happened once, the pet’s condition did not worsen, it means that she is simply trying to get rid of wool or foreign objects that have entered the stomach. This condition is not dangerous for the cat’s health, and vomiting can stop without medical intervention.
- What does vomit look like and what is its amount. Excessive discharge of white foam may indicate bile flow problems.
- How she eats: there is an appetite or it is completely absent. If the pet does not eat food and vomits white foam, then this should cause serious concern to the owner.
- What is the general health of the animal. If the pet is inactive, lies, does not play, then this may be a symptom of poisoning and exacerbation of a chronic disease.
If dangerous symptoms are detected, the doctor prescribes the analysis of urine and blood, ultrasound and X-ray of the kidneys, abdominal cavity. If a serious illness of the digestive system is suspected, an endoscopic examination is performed on the cat.
Why does a cat vomit white foam
This is a tricky situation because vomiting can be a sign of a disease in the feline’s body. If it is determined in time and the necessary measures are taken, then in the future it is possible to prevent the appearance of a serious illness. So, we learn about the factors causing pathology and emergency care for the animal.
If the cat vomits with white foam, do not self-medicate, do not listen to the recommendations of neighbors, so as not to further harm her health. Get immediate help from your veterinarian. It is necessary to consult a doctor on the day the first symptoms of malaise appear, since a sick animal can die within two days due to dehydration provoked by vomiting. Professional measures taken in time will stop this painful process quickly enough and without complications.
A cat in a difficult position should be given first aid on its own before visiting the veterinary clinic. Do the following:
- Limit your pet’s food.
- Don’t give her water until new vomiting stops.
- Give her a teaspoon of Enterosgel before going to the veterinarian.
After examining the animal and talking with the owner for a possible cause of vomiting, the doctor prescribes treatment or additional tests to make a more accurate diagnosis.
Prevention of pathology
You can avoid this phenomenon in a cat by adhering to a few basic rules. In they:
- Monitor your cat’s diet. Give her quality and fresh food.
- Do not allow your pet to lick or swallow food debris from the floor. Indeed, sharp objects, medicines can also get into her oral cavity.
- Prevent worm infestations regularly.
- Brush long-haired cats so they don’t swallow a lot of hair during their litter.
- Keep your pet calm, as over-grooming of its own coat can be a sign of nervous tension.
- Feed your cats special food to cleanse their stomachs regularly.
Love pets, be alert to changes in their behavior and mood.
Natural Causes of White Vomiting
The gag reflex and the release of white foam in animals is an important defense mechanism against environmental factors, allowing them to get rid of unnecessary and harmful contents of their stomach.
Cat vomits white due to illness
Consider! Symptoms of vomiting in a kitten can indicate a hundred different diseases and abnormalities. It is possible to cure a pet only if the root cause of the gag reflex is precisely established, so you cannot do without a good veterinarian.
Vomiting white, as one of the symptoms, is associated with many feline pathologies and diseases:
- Operational interventions. If the pet has survived the operation under anesthesia, then often after that the cat will have bouts of white vomiting and the separation of foam from the mouth and nose. After surgery and anesthesia, the animal should be in rest and comfort.
- Vaccination. In the modern world, vaccination is the key to a long and healthy life for a cat. Occasionally, the vaccine can result in foam and white vomit. Normally, this condition should not last more than 2-3 days in a row.
- Viral infections. Among the most dangerous and fatal diseases are herpes and corona viral infections, rabies, feline immunodeficiency, Aujeszky’s disease and panleukopenia. The infectious source is a carrier animal. Along with white foam and a gag reflex, the pet has weakness and refusal to eat, profuse salivation, and an increase in body temperature. One of the most dangerous symptoms when a cat vomits with foam and blood.
- Digestive system pathologies. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in cats always disappear against the background of profuse vomiting and intestinal upset (diarrhea or constipation), there is a strong weight loss with good appetite. In this case, the vomit goes with blood, bile and foam. The animal refuses to eat and drink, the opposite effect can also occur. the pet often eats a lot, actively drinks liquid. The most common of these are ulcers, gastritis and enteritis.
- Helminths. The feline organism is attacked by up to one hundred thousand varieties of worms, which can parasitize on the vital organs of the animal. At the same time, the cat has a number of other signs. total hair loss, alternating diarrhea and constipation, changes in appetite and mood, itching in the anus, vomiting with white foam and worms. Against the background of intoxication, immunity falls, dystrophic changes occur in many internal organs and systems. The animal is easily infected and often sick, as a result, it may even die.
If the kitten vomits until it takes food, and the gag reflex is mixed with belching and white foam, then this indicates muscle weakness of the sphincter located between the esophagus and the stomach. The food lump does not pass into the stomach and is regurgitated by the animal.
First aid for a pet
Fact! First aid for a pet with a vomiting reflex and white foam is a fast diet for a day, since restricting feeding will reduce the load on the entire body. The consistency, smell and color of the vomit will help to recognize the root cause of the ailment that has occurred.
The color and composition of the vomit can tell a lot about the nature of the animal’s disease:
- Vomiting white foam means that the pet is hungry and there is no pathology;
- The presence of white mucus in the vomit indicates a helminthic invasion of the animal;
- Vomiting of a pet with saliva without additional impurities with white or yellowish foam can be a sign of terrible diseases. feline plague or panleukopenia;
- Blood gives the vomit a red tint, which means that the pet has damage to the digestive system;
- The gray shade of the emetic liquid suggests the presence of dry food residues in it, while the pet’s diet should be reviewed for health and benefit;
- The dark color of the vomit is a sign of the presence of hydrochloric acid, which can provoke gastritis or internal swelling;
- The yellow color of the emetic discharge is given by bile, this indicates violations of the functions of the liver and gallbladder;
- The cat vomits with water and foam with a strong pressure, the reason for this can be a tumor of the internal organs, encephalitis, high intracranial pressure in the animal, thrombosis or brain disease;
- Vomit with green foam indicates intestinal obstruction, attacks occur mostly at night;
- Fecal gagging is extremely rare and is a dangerous signal indicating serious bowel injury.
The preliminary cleansing reflex is accompanied by nausea, the pet behaves restlessly and nervously, rushes about, makes plaintive sounds, often licks its lips, saliva can flow profusely from the mouth.
Abundant vomit leads to rapid dehydration of the animal’s body. At the same time, his saliva becomes viscous white and thick, eyes sink, gums stick. Frequent gag reflexes white with foam at high temperatures, plus the depressed state of the pet is a bad signal. What to do then? In this case, the cat urgently needs the help of a specialist.
It is important to know! One of the signs of severe dehydration with prolonged vomiting: if you lift a section of skin and release it, then the dehydrated area will slowly return to its original shape.
What does vomiting white foam mean?
Vomiting in cats occurs spontaneously. Poor quality food, excess food or liquid, a foreign body, chemicals can be a signal for a gag reflex. The animal’s brain activates vomiting and due to more serious reasons. gastrointestinal tract pathologies, increased intracranial pressure, exposure to external factors, poisoning or the presence of worms.
The mechanism of work of the gastrointestinal tract of cats is arranged similarly to the human one: the food lump enters the stomach and is digested there in a few hours. Further, the gastric contents go to the intestines. In this case, a minimum amount of gastric juice and special mucus to protect the walls from erosion remain in the stomach. Protective mucus consists of polysaccharides and proteins, which react with atmospheric oxygen to form a white foam. Therefore, if a cat is sick of white foam, then it most likely happened on an empty stomach and without any aggravating factors.
Vomiting in a cat with white foam. reasons:
- Wool. Cats belong to the category of clean animals, which often lick their skin and make sure it is neat. Over time, a whole ball of wool accumulates in the stomach of the animal, which provokes foam from the mouth and white vomit. Pets with long and thick hair are recommended to give special preparations (grass, tablets and pastes) in order to improve the discharge of a wool lump from the stomach, otherwise health problems cannot be avoided.
- Feed. It so happens that a cat vomits white foam after eating dry food. This is due to the fact that dry food swells greatly in the stomach, and it rejects excess food. Dry food in cats always requires clean drinking water nearby.
- Hunger. The cat breed is sensitive to lack of food, their digestive system will synthesize all the necessary enzymes and secrets, even if the cat is hungry for several days. The hydrochloric acid of gastric juice irritates the mucous membranes of the organs and parts of the digestive system. hence the white foam with vomiting. Your pet shouldn’t starve!
- Binge eating. Some pets are unable to control the amount of food eaten, so they overeat, then white foam leaves the mouth and a gag reflex occurs with an excess of undigested food. Swallowing food too quickly without chewing enough lumps and lumps of food can also result in food being rejected from the stomach through the mouth and nose. A distinctive feature of this condition is the presence of pieces of food, white foam and mucus in the vomit discharge.
- Foreign body. Cats are curious, they need to taste everything. The pet can swallow any item from everyday life, this is followed by white foam and active vomiting, after which the animal becomes the same. cheerful, affectionate and playful. Worse, if the pet ate or licked medicines, chemicals, poisonous or toxic substances, then unpleasant consequences cannot be avoided.
- Pregnancy. Cats, like women, are always nauseous and vomit during the early stages of pregnancy. This is the result of a change in hormonal levels, which is considered the norm, and therefore should not cause undue concern to the owners. The gag reflex with white foam can also occur in the last stage of pregnancy, this is due to the voluminous uterus and its pressure on the digestive organs of the cat.
- Estrus. Every living creature has the instinct of procreation, the cat breed is no exception. On average, their estrus occurs 3-4 times a year, while the animal has a special behavior. The estrus stage during estrus may be accompanied by nausea, foam, and white vomiting.
- Medicines. The pet can react with white foam after taking medications that veterinarians prescribe to animals during diseases and for their prevention. Pet white foam can occur after taking strong antibiotics. Also, vomiting white can be from Duphalac, recommended to animals as a laxative for constipation. Cat vomiting with white foam can also be caused by deworming drugs.
- Stress. Feeling unwell and nausea can occur against the background of an imbalance in the psychological state of the pet. Fear, changes in living conditions, excitement and other stressful situations in the animal can lead to nausea and vomiting.
What to do when a kitten vomits white foam?
- If the gag reflex arose on the basis of poisoning, the pet is given activated charcoal at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of the animal’s weight. Charcoal is dissolved in water and injected into the cat’s mouth from a syringe without a needle.
- With a short paroxysmal vomiting, the pet will be helped by soldering with a Rehydron solution.
- The drug Enterosgel and Atoxil will prevent dehydration due to severe vomiting.
- If the cat is weak and refuses to take fluids, then it is necessary to inject Ringer’s solution.
- Intramuscular injection of Cerucal or No-shpa helps to cope with pain and nausea.
- With frequent and prolonged white vomiting, antiemetic drugs are effective: Torecan, Paspertin and Phenothiazine.
- In case of severe intoxication, the cat is prescribed a course of droppers with glucose and ascorbic acid.
- Severe lesions of the gastrointestinal tract are treated with antibiotic blockade and sulfa drugs.
Treatment of vomiting in a cat and the recovery period should be accompanied by a special diet: all food in a semi-liquid form, meat only boiled and soft, feeding in small volumes, liquid in sufficient quantities. The appearance of appetite in a pet is a positive sign, however, the transition to the usual diet should be carried out smoothly and gradually.
Why does a cat vomit with white foam
Pet disease always brings a lot of worries and troubles to the owners. A cheerful and mischievous pet suddenly becomes sad and lethargic. this is familiar to many. What if the cat vomits with white foam? Medically speaking, the gag reflex is seen as a natural physiological process that helps an animal cleanse its stomach.
There may be several reasons for provoking white vomiting. If white vomit of foam in a cat is repeated many times, this may indicate some kind of disease and you cannot do without the help of a veterinarian.
Prevention of gag reflex
Preventive measures to prevent the onset of an unpleasant gag reflex in pets include:
- Annual vaccination, anthelmintic therapy at intervals of every 3 months.
- Regular prophylactic visits to the veterinarian.
- Sufficient, high-quality and balanced feeding of the pet, for dessert. a special herb to cleanse and heal the feline body.
- Systematic grooming of cat hair. bathing, combing, trimming if necessary.
- Cleanliness and hygiene in the house, small items should not be in the free access of the animal.
A responsible and competent owner will always come to the aid of a sick pet, because people are responsible for those they have tamed. Knowing a lot about white foam and vomiting, its causes and consequences, you can start treatment on time, respond correctly to what happened and prevent complications. Then the pet will again rejoice himself, and give a smile to others!
What to do if the cat vomits? Algorithm of actions Complete list of diagnoses
If your cat vomits with white foam and does not eat anything, this is not a cause for concern.
For a start, you should watch your pet, remember what could have provoked it.
Vomiting is a natural defense mechanism of the body when it tries to get rid of excess or harmful to the body (a kind of system restart).
The first step is to eliminate the cause of vomiting (if possible): give the cat an antiviral. Absorbent or antibacterial agent. It can be activated carbon, counting as 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight (it needs to be dissolved).
After, it is necessary to stop vomiting. Cerucal or No-Shpa have a good effect, which remove toxins from the body.
When an animal vomits, it upsets the body’s water balance. It is necessary to give the pet a large amount of water, a solution of Rehydron, Eneterosgel, or carry out additional procedures in the clinic (this can be an intravenous infusion of saline).
In order to increase the body’s resistance in the future and improve the immune system, it will be useful to drink a course of immunomodulatory drugs.
The doctor may prescribe antispasmodics, antibiotic blockade, diet, or other actions to help treat.
Diet food involves a gentle regimen: for the most part it should be liquid food, small portions and light food (rice, mainly).
Ingress of wool into the animal’s body as a result of licking
Being a clean animal, a cat “washes” itself or its kittens all the time. As a result, a sufficient amount of wool (so-called trachybezoars) accumulates in the stomach, which the body needs to get rid of.
Excessive fasting or overeating
In the first case, when the cat remained hungry for several days, it will vomit with white foam. This is due to the fact that, despite the “temporary difficulties”, the animal’s body continues to secrete the enzymes necessary for food processing. Once in an empty stomach, they irritate the mucous walls of the stomach and cause spontaneous “discharge”.
In case of overeating, the stomach needs to get rid of the excess load that it is unable to process. Everything, like in people. overeating leads to heaviness in the stomach. However, in cats this process is more thought out: if the stomach lacks energy, then it simply throws off the extra “sandbags”. Of course, in this case, along with the white foam, the cat will vomit and undigested food.
What to do if a cat vomits with white foam?
The first thing to do is to limit the cat’s food, or rather, remove it for 1 day. If it is due to poisoning / overeating, etc., then the body will rest and start up again. Of course, in case you are sure that white foam is not associated with an animal’s hunger strike. A weak solution of potassium permanganate or water with a small concentration of Smecta can help the animal.
To accurately determine the cause of vomiting, you will need the following information: how often it happens, assumptions about what the kitten may vomit, observing the color and m of vomiting. The doctor will examine your pet and prescribe a general urine and blood test, an ultrasound scan and X-ray.
For the most part, it is normal for the animal to vomit after taking medication (antibiotics, antihelmintics). Also, the cat may vomit with white foam after neutering or neutering. It is worth worrying if this process drags on and your pet starts to feel unwell.
What is sick of a cat who is sick with white foam?
- Poisoning. if the cat vomits white foam after eating.
- Postoperative period. the cat vomits, because the body is trying to recover.
- Viruses (herpes, corona viral, rabies, panleukopenia, etc.). white foam, diarrhea, weakness, high fever, it may be that the cat is vomiting blood.
- Diseases of the digestive system (gastritis, etc.). the cat vomits with bile, foam and blood.
- Worms. molting, indigestion, weakness, vomiting of white foam and even with larvae.