What is he?
A home for a cat or a cat should satisfy all the requirements of a four-legged friend walking on his own. First, you should study the habits of the cat. Perhaps he is quite playful, then he needs to organize special home-made devices for games.
Some cats prefer to sleep more, then you should take care of a place to rest more. Some cats prefer to sharpen their claws on the furniture of the owners, which not only irritates, but also infuriates a person at the sight of damage to expensive property. Homemade scratching posts and cat houses can solve the problem.
So, you have analyzed the preferences of your cat and now you are determined with the design model. It may include:
It should also be noted that the design of the house can vary significantly due to the gender of your pet.
For example, cats are more playful, like to hunt, so they should build a structure with a wide view. Here you can stop at the house-sleeve.
For a cat, it is better to make a two-level structure, where the upper level will help to look out for the enemy, and the lower mother will use the newly hatched offspring to ambush, and in case of approaching danger will attack the future offender.
Also, a large view of the cat’s house should not be allowed. she prefers to provide security for her lair.
See in this video how to make a play complex for a cat with your own hands at home.
Pets bring us a lot of joy and warmth, but wool is an integral attribute of their stay in the house, so it is important to take care of air purification in the apartment. Read in our separate article which air purifier to choose for an apartment.
The following photos show various options for the execution of houses for cats.
The house in the form of a wigwam looks fresh and provocative. At home, you can quickly and easily build it from cardboard or fabric.
- Twigs or branches 6 pieces. the basis of the frame. Top ends are held together, bottom ends are widely spaced apart for stability.
- Scotch tape or rope. to secure the rods.
- Cardboard is the bottom of the wigwam. Cut out hexagon and covered with fabric (best water-repellent).
- Glue or needle and thread. to hold the fabric together.
- Fabric. cut into 6 isosceles triangles, in one of which a slot is made for the entrance.
Parts of the material are sewn together in such a way that rods can be inserted into the seam between the pieces of fabric. A frame is inserted into the stitched tent, and the lower edges of the material are sewn to the bottom of the cardboard base.
From foam rubber
A soft house for a cat with your own hands requires special attention. Here you can not only create a comfortable and warm corner for your pet, but also show your imagination with decorating and in the process of designing a house. For the manufacture of such a soft structure, materials will be required:
- any dense fabric, you can take contrasting shades;
- foam rubber, preferably thicker, so that the cat is soft and comfortable;
- sewing machine;
- pins and other sewing parts for fastening;
To sew a house for a cat with your own hands, follow these steps:
- Construct the project of the structure, “sawing” it into its component parts, each of which should be transferred to a newspaper or paper. these will be patterns for future patterns.
This completes the production of a soft house for your pet. You can experiment with colors by composing blanks with distinctive shades.
This video will show you how to make a soft cat house.
Game complex. step-by-step instruction
It is easy to make a house for a cat with your own hands from scrap materials. This is where you need a little knack and a bit of skill. If you are not a master at working with hammer and nails, you can use simple ways to erect a structure.
As a rule, the presented type of complexes is high. Sometimes the necessary materials are in stock.
So, for the construction of this kind of structure, the following materials will be needed:
- plywood no more than 10 mm thick;
- polyethylene pipe with a diameter of up to 12 cm;
- furniture metal corners in the amount of 15-25 pieces;
- any natural rope, you can take hemp or jute;
- liquid glue without a pungent odor;
- any material your pet likes (you can find out by his favorite place to sleep) for trimming the house;
- tools for work.
DIY master class on making a house for a cat:
- Saw 6 squares out of plywood in accordance with the dimensions of the future resting place. Make round holes in two of them. the main entrance and the back door.
This model of the house is the simplest and comes as a basic version. Of course, the owner can improve the accommodation for his pet according to his preferences. Sometimes an additional harness is attached at the bottom of the observation deck for the game.
This option of combination is possible, but only if the entire structure is fixed to the floor, because an unstable house during the game can be turned over, which will lead to injuries to the four-legged pet. Think over everything carefully and with the likelihood of possible unpleasant excesses.
A bed for a cat can be made of cardboard, newspaper tubes, foam rubber. The shape of this resting place is selected in accordance with the size of the cat or his preferences in rest.
Some prepare beds for the semblance of the existing interior in the apartment. The main thing in that matter is to provide your pet with comfort and warmth. Therefore, do not forget about using foam rubber, soft fabric and other textile materials.
Features of the
The cat house has several functions:
- refuge. a place where you can hide from the rest of the residents of the house;
- observation point. the pet should be able to survey the maximum space around from it;
- a warm, cozy nest where you can sleep or just lie and soak up;
- playground with scratching posts, ribbons, tunnels and other play accessories.
Thus, in order to look attractive to cats, the house must be:
- by the size of the cat. it should freely pass into it and be able to freely curl up into a ball, but it is important not to overdo it with dimensions;
- consist of natural materials as much as possible. wood, cardboard, natural felt and others (synthetic materials electrify cats’ hair, and this causes discomfort. plastic, artificial fabrics);
- away from equipment and objects that emit loud sounds. away from TV, radio, music center;
- warm in moderation, not exposed to drafts. can not be installed under windows, on a window sill, close to a radiator, near a door or aisle.
IMPORTANT! The ideal option is to equip the cat’s resting place in the far corner, relative to the entrance to the room or against the wall opposite to the entrance.
It is very important not to forget about humidifying the air in rooms where pets are kept. Read our separate article on how to make a DIY air humidifier. And also, which humidifier is better to choose.
A scratching post is an important and necessary attribute, it must be used from the first days of a pet’s appearance in the house.
It will keep furniture and walls intact. Sharpening the claws, the pet thereby processes them, keeps them in full combat readiness.
REFERENCE. The claw point is also associated with play and stress relief through exercise.
And in this video you can get acquainted with one of the ways how to make a scratching post for a cat with your own hands.
Corrugated scratching post
This type is the most economical and environmentally friendly, it does not take much time to make it.
Required materials: corrugated cardboard or cardboard boxes, thick paper, adhesive tape or PVA glue, knife.
One of the bloggers, Andrey Deveikin, made a scratching post in this form. Thanks to him for the photos provided.
- lay out cardboard boxes, draw strips about 10-15 cm wide on them;
- cut the resulting strips and start folding them. The very first strip is the base of the structure. It must be rolled up as tightly as possible and fastened with PVA or duct tape;
- gradually increase the volume by gluing the strips and fixing them with tape or PVA;
- the last strip must be fixed especially carefully so that it holds the entire structure and does not allow it to fall apart after the cat’s first attempt to sharpen its claws;
- the resulting scratching post must be placed on thick paper, circled around the edges and cut along the line. Glue the resulting paper figure to the bottom of the structure.
For work you will need: a timber about 70 cm long and at least 5 cm wide, a round or square support made of wood about 4 cm thick.
- On the support of the future claw frame, we draw one line in the middle and the second. perpendicular to it, connecting them in the center. At the point of intersection, we will later fix the stand. We put the prepared timber in the middle of the support, then we outline its borders for further placement of self-tapping screws or screws.
- We connect the support to the bar with glue and fasten them with self-tapping screws.
- We either leave the bar in its original form, or sheathe it with a cloth, cutting out a piece with a width equal to the diameter of the stand, adding a couple of centimeters for the seams.
- We wind a thick rope tightly over the fabric, tying it from the bottom of the bar with a tight knot. By the way, the rope can be painted in several places, then the scratching post will look much more beautiful. The rope can be glued if it does not hold well.
Types of scratching posts
There are countless number of different scratching posts that a cat owner can choose for his pet, ranging from the simplest models to exquisite and original products.
Convenient and practical. All the owner needs is to find any protruding corner in the house and allocate it for the cat. This model does not take up much space, but it is enough for the animal.
Floor scratching post
Such a model is convenient in that it does not take up much space in the apartment, it can be rearranged and taken with you on the road. The most uncomplicated version of a floor scratching post is a regular board sheathed with carpet. You can also wind a thick twine rope around the base.
When making such a claw frame, the main condition is the weight and stability of the device so that it does not drag along the floor when the cat decides to sharpen its claws.
Why does a cat need a scratching post?
A cat, like any domestic animal, is by nature a wild creature, endowed with natural instincts. Claws are an integral part of every feline.
With the help of claws, animals can not only climb trees, they need them to maintain balance when moving, while jumping and to highlight special odorous glands from the fingertips to mark the territory.
In addition, with the help of claws, cats can fend for themselves in the event of an attack by another aggressive animal.
In the wild, cats tended their claws to maintain their strength and shape by grinding them against tree bark, rocks, and dry grass.
The domestic cat does not need to hunt, but it is necessary to maintain the condition of the claws in any case, because if they are too long, it will interfere with the animal when walking and even cause him pain.
Without a scratching post, upholstery of upholstered furniture, carpets and wallpaper will be used, which is unlikely to bring joy to the owner. That is why it is so important to have a special device at home with which the cat can sharpen its claws.
People who want to pamper their pet with a unique scratching post, which at the same time will stylishly fit into the interior of the house, can turn to the masters. They will make an original product and give it any look and purpose that the owner desires.
These can be scratching posts in the form of a winding tree with hammocks for cats; devices that serve as both a claw-rail and a floor vase; you can make a scratching post-cabinet, inside which you can store any items.
If the owner has enough imagination and skill, he can come up with the design of the structure himself and bring the idea to life.
Types of designs for sharpening cat claws
Among all the variety of models, I would like to highlight the best option for a scratching post. this is a post covered with jute rope or coarse twine with a house located nearby. If you want to be creative, you can build the following scratching post options with your own hands:
- The shape of the structure. a pillar, a floor or hanging rug, a ring.
- Material for sharpening claws. jute rope, twine, wood, cardboard, thick fabric.
- When starting to make a scratching post, it is practical to supplement it with a house, toy, couch or other useful tools for the cat.
It is better to equip him with his own hands a worthy place for leisure.
Nuances of arrangement
When considering a project for a future scratching post with a house, take into account the following recommendations:
- The height of the post should be more than 90 cm so that the cat can stretch freely on its hind legs.
- The diameter of the columnar structure is not less than 10 cm.
- It is advisable to install a house for a cat at a height.
- The location of the beds depends on the number of pets in the house.
- When equipping with your own hands next to the scratching post of the house, it is preferable to make two exits for the cat.
As for the materials used in the production, there are also some peculiarities here:
- For the upholstery of the house, a soft fabric is selected that is not susceptible to the accumulation of electrostatic charge.
- The frame is made of plywood or dry board. It is not recommended to use laminated or painted raw materials containing traces of chemical processing as a base for a scratching post or a house. The acrid smell will alienate the cat.
- It is better to make a claw-point covering from natural ropes, the thickness of which ranges from 0.5-1.0 cm. Synthetic non-tearing fiber can damage a cat’s paw, catching on a claw.
Cats do not welcome this material in their everyday life. When using used fabrics for upholstery of the house, do not abuse the treatment with chemical agents.
How to Make a Cat Scratcher
The relevance of installing a scratching post
The active growth of claws in a cat throughout its life is a natural process that cannot be ignored. And if you do not take care of the scratching post in advance, be prepared for damaged upholstered furniture, torn wallpaper and even damaged shoes and clothes. A useful device can be purchased ready-made, but the price of such pleasure sometimes causes genuine surprise. It is much more practical to build a scratching post with your own hands, complementing it with a house. This will prove the true care of your beloved cat.
The absence of a scratching post is fraught with the following negative consequences for a cat:
- The presence of chips and cracks in the nails, which causes significant pain syndrome.
- Difficulty walking on vertical surfaces.
- Unkempt claws cause discomfort to the cat during normal walking.
- The launched process leads to a twist of the claw, which digs into the pad and provokes inflammation of the soft tissue.
- There is a change in muscle engagement when jumping, so there is a risk of sprains.
The loss of sharpness of the claws due to the lack of a scratching post deprives the cat of the possibility of full protection in a dangerous situation. At home, this is not relevant, but taking care of the pet’s health is the duty of every owner. Having studied the popular designs of scratching posts, you can determine which model is easier to choose for making with your own hands. The presence of a house next to it will save the cat owner from many problems.
PVC pipe forming process
The first way to design a scratching post with a house for a cat is quite simple and does not differ in high financial costs. To make a structure with your own hands you will need:
- PVC drainage pipe with a diameter of 110 mm. It will serve as the basis for the scratching post.
- The frame of the cat house is assembled from the remains of an old cabinet.
- Carpet or other dense covering for the upholstery of the house and the base.
- Corners, self-tapping screws and a furniture stapler with staples are useful as fasteners.
Any construction is not complete without preliminary design. Using the drawn up plan, we proceed to the preparation of individual details of the construction of a house with a scratching post:
- The base of the structure 35×120 cm in size is cut out of chipboard.
- For the crossbeam, a piece of 25×100 cm is cut out of chipboard.A semicircle is cut out on it, with a diameter corresponding to the dimensions of the pipe.
So that the structure of the cat house can be partially dismantled in the event of a move, the scratching post is attached as follows:
- PVC pipe is put on the fixed circles.
- The corners are closely attached to it and fixed on the base of the chipboard scratching post, after sheathing the pipe with carpet, these corners will be successfully masked.
- The final fastening is done with self-tapping screws that pierce the carpet, holes in the corners, a pipe and screw into circles.
- Since there will be another miniature scratching post on the roof of the cat house, you should make markings for it and prepare fasteners with your own hands by analogy with the previous steps.
- According to the drawing of the cat house, the PVC pipe, which will serve as the basis for the scratching posts, is cut into 2 parts. Two strips are prepared from the carpet for sheathing, which are attached with self-tapping screws. The rest of the structure of the cat house is sheathed with carpet or other upholstery using a furniture stapler.
Assembling the structure
When the individual elements of the cat house are ready, they begin to assemble the entire structure, including the scratching post:
- The frame of a house without a roof is attached to a chipboard base in such a way that the corners are under the cladding, after which it is screwed on with self-tapping screws.
- A cover is installed on the walls of the house (do not forget about fixing with self-tapping screws).
- A small scratching post is attached on top (at the same time, the corners are again wound up under the trim).
- We proceed to the installation of the main scratching post, the corners are wound under the carpet, from above there are fasteners with self-tapping screws.
- At the height of the intersection with the crossbar, an incision is made for the metal strip.
- The final stage of DIY installation of a house with a scratching post for a cat is fixing the crossbar and installing a bed on a large pipe. For greater stability of the structure, it is better to fix the stove bench on the wall with metal corners.
To understand what will be discussed further, look at the next photo of the finished construction of a scratching post with a house.
If you want to make a similar one with your own hands, proceed:
- Three support pillars are prepared from a bar.
- For the convenience of movement of cats, three platforms are formed from plywood.
- The frame of the house is in the form of a standard box.
- Upstairs you can make a hammock.
In case of an unfriendly relationship, it is better to place the platforms farther from each other so that cats are discouraged to feud.
DIY Cat Scratching Post using PVC Pipe
- All three beams are fixed on one base; in addition, a common shelf will help to ensure their stability.
- The second platform connects the long scratching post to the short bar, and the third element is designed to fix the highest and middle scratching posts. This arrangement ensures optimal interconnection of structural elements.
- To fulfill this condition, in all platforms it is necessary to outline the holes for the timber of the required size with your own hands.
- To give the whole structure of the house with a scratching post an original look and additionally interest the cat, curly cutouts on the platforms will help.
- It is convenient to cut out all the marked holes for pillars and grooves on the shelves with a jigsaw.
- After that, preliminary assembly of the structure is carried out to check the compliance of the prepared holes.
A feline complex can consist of several elements that are made from various materials at hand. Therefore:
- The house can be made from plywood, chipboard, thin boards, woven from rods, from newspaper tubes, etc.
- Vertical and inclined elements are manufactured:
- From plastic pipes for sewage, from paper pipes that can be placed in a tree trunk, in a wooden bar or wrapped with a piece of linoleum.
- From ordinary boards, chipboard or fabric, placing them at different angles.
- Hammocks are made of fabric, ropes, and a regular wooden lath is used as a frame.
The platforms are made of wood, chipboard, plywood, etc. If the platform is made of wood, then it is possible not to sheathe it with cloth, but it will have to be sanded and also varnished with a water-based varnish. If the material is chipboard or plywood, then it is better to enclose them in fabric, since chemical components are used in their manufacture.
It is permissible to take the trunk of a tree as the basis of the cat complex, but it is not necessary to remove the branches completely, leaving part of them in order to fix platforms, a house and other elements on them. For this, a tree trunk is taken, about 2 meters high, after which the branches are cut off so that 20-30 centimeters remain. After that, the bark is removed from the trunk. Such a complex for animals will be especially interesting, since it differs in a natural basis, but at the same time one should not forget that it needs to be well strengthened.
The best option is to place the resting place on the wall, since it can take up about 1 square meter on the floor. Considering our apartments, where every square meter counts, a place for a cat on the floor is quite problematic, but placing it on the wall is not a problem at all, it is enough to fix it properly. Several platforms can be fixed and connected by transitions from the boards, placing them at different angles. Alternatively, you can use rope ladders, which will certainly please the animals. In other words, there is a huge field for imagination, but you also need to have desire.
Such elements are also called cat shelves, since they bear enough similarity to book shelves, since their fastening is identical. Cats and cats are happy to exploit such feline complexes.
Fastening the main elements
The structure is taken as a basis, consisting of 3 pillars of different heights: 220 cm, 120 cm and 80 cm. The pillars are securely attached to the base, which is a plywood sheet. These load-bearing elements are placed in such a way that the longest is as close to the wall as possible in order to securely anchor the entire structure. The placement of the pillars is marked directly on the plywood sheet with a pencil. The pillars can be secured with long nails hammered from the back of the sheet, but first holes of the appropriate diameter are drilled for them. For reliability, the pillars are attached using metal corners of the appropriate size.
In the same way, holes in the platforms are marked through which the pillars should pass. It is better to make the holes slightly larger than the size of the posts, since they are still attached using corners. If the holes turn out to be slightly smaller, then they will then have to be additionally processed either with a file, or with a jigsaw, or with sandpaper.
Before the process of fixing the platform, it should be tried on and, if necessary, it is adjusted in size. It is desirable that the platform, and all other elements, be fixed strictly horizontally. To do this, you can use the building level. For reliability, the platform is attached with corners. After that, all platforms are sheathed with carpet, and this must also be done reliably, otherwise the animals will tear it off from the base.
The body of the house is assembled from 4 rectangular pieces of plywood, which serve as the walls of the house, while a hole should be cut in one of the rectangles so that a cat can crawl through it. For the floor and roof, cut out one more rectangular segment. To connect all the elements of the house, it is enough to use small metal corners and self-tapping screws. The fasteners should be such that none of the elements, especially the sharp ones, protrude outward, although many of the fasteners will be under the skin.
The most important thing is not to forget to beat the house from the inside, after which you can fix the roof, which is also sheathed with the same material before that. The finished house is attached, in the planned place, using the same metal corners as in the case of the platforms.
Not all cats and cats behave the same, so the approach can be highly individual. It is typical for cats to have two passages to the house, which is associated with the evacuation of offspring in case of danger, although many owners castrate or neuter the animals in a timely manner. To build a house, you can use pipes or other structures of a similar purpose. However, they do not like wide openings, as this leads to a sense of danger. In this regard, the entrance to the house should be narrow enough for the animal to be able to freely crawl into it. Most cats prefer height, and in floor houses they can live with their offspring. If cats do not have offspring, then they will choose a more house located at some distance from the floor, although, as mentioned above, everything is purely individual.
Cats will definitely choose a place higher, with a good view, as they love to watch what is happening around. They prefer to be on the playgrounds and are rarely seen lying in the house. For a cat, it is important that there are many areas, and such sizes that the animal can lie on them at full height. Such sites do not need to be fenced off, since cats feel comfortable at a height. If the owners do fences, then they are more for their peace of mind, and cats do not need them.
If a cat has no offspring, then cats, no less than cats, like to be on the sites and watch everything that happens from a height. At the same time, one should not ignore the desire of a cat, like a cat, sometimes to retire and rest so that no one interferes with them. At the same time, it should be noted breeds that are not obtrusive in their behavior and try to retire. Therefore, both the cat and the cat need a house.
At what height
For any cat or cat, the higher the resting place is, the better, because in such conditions they feel safe. Therefore, in such cases, the cat house can be located at least under the ceiling itself. Regardless of how many tiers there will be in this complex, the uppermost one will be mainly occupied. If there are several cats, then the leader will be located on the topmost “floor”, but despite this, this “floor” will remain controversial for animals and each of the cats will want to be the first to occupy it.
It is believed that the smallest height of a cat’s corner is one meter. A small height turns out to be safe even for small kittens, but with age they still move to higher tiers when they feel that they are capable of it.
The most important thing is that the design is absolutely safe for the animal. All fastening elements must be hidden, and, if necessary, they are covered with putty or sheathed with fabric.
It is equally important to securely fasten the entire structure, especially if more than one cat or cat is using it. Their games can lead to the fact that the whole structure can collapse and the higher it is, the greater this probability.
A house for a cat or cat, as a rule, is made from the remains of building materials or other elements that are no longer needed. This is quite acceptable, since all structural elements will have to be sheathed with fabric, some other textiles, or wrapped with ropes. Despite this, even such materials have a number of requirements.
- They should not have extraneous, especially pungent, odors. In any case, those living in the house should not feel it, and animals and even more so, since they have a much sharper sense of smell. If these are natural smells, then they are allowed. If any material still has a bad aroma, then you can hold it outside for a while.
In order for a cat or cat to start mastering this complex as quickly as possible, it needs to be kept in the home for some time. This is necessary in order for the structure to fully absorb the aromas of the room familiar to animals.
DIY kitty house
A scratching post for a pet is already aerobatics. In fact, this structure turns into a game complex, so the owner’s task is to take into account all the details already at the design stage. But, as you know, if the pens are golden, it doesn’t matter where they grow from.!
Required building materials:
- OSB boards (8 mm and 12 mm). They can be replaced with plywood or chipboard sheets;
- a large piece of fabric, faux fur, carpet;
- self-tapping screws;
- glue for a heat gun;
- metal pipe (or multiple pipes, depending on the final design);
- several skeins of hemp or jute twine;
- furniture corners.
Roulette, pencil, jigsaw, screwdriver, drill, compass, construction stapler, hammer, scissors, thermal gun, knife, hacksaw, screwdrivers.
- Draw a diagram
- We start cutting OSB slabs or chipboard slabs.
The video shows how to draw patterns for a scratching post house.
- We collect the patterns and the pipe (pipes) into a single whole, fasten them like a man and invite the cat to admire the unprecedented beauty.
- Wrap the posts with jute, carefully fixing its ends.
- Cover other surfaces with fabric or faux fur, materials can be mixed.
- Hang a tempting toy.
- Think about catnip!
DIY cat scratching post
What will you learn from the article
With the advent of a kitten’s home, your home is in great danger of becoming one large scratching post. Of course, this accessory can also be purchased, but a do-it-yourself cat scratching post is much more interesting.!
How to make the right scratching post yourself? Watch the video further.
Do-it-yourself scratching post made of corrugated cardboard. Master Class.
Corrugated board or cardboard boxes, thick paper, adhesive tape, PVA glue, paper knife, decor fabric.
Manufacturing scheme point by point
- Spread out the cardboard boxes on flat sheets and line them in strips of equal width. You can choose the width arbitrarily, it is better if the scratching post pillow is higher than 10 cm.But the arrangement of the stripes on the cardboard should be such that the folds of the boxes go horizontally stripes.
- Cut the cardboard into strips.
- Start rolling the cardboard strips with your hands.
- Twist the first one tightly and secure with duct tape or glue. This is the core of the design.
- Wrap other strips around the core step by step, remembering to fasten them with duct tape or glue.
- Secure the end of the last strip especially carefully.
- Wrap the cardboard with decorative cloth and secure it too.
- Place the resulting pillow on thick paper, circle with a pencil and cut out the bottom of the scratching posts.
- Attach the base with glue or tape.
- Do-it-yourself corrugated cardboard scratching post is ready!
P.S. The photo shows that corrugated board ideas are not limited to pillows. Beds and ottomans made of this material are also very practical.
Have you changed your mind about doing it yourself? Read how to choose a scratching post for a kitten.
Making a wall scratching post with your own hands. Step-by-step instruction
It is not recommended to attach a wall scratching post by itself to the wall. You will need a wooden panel on which you will attach your future cat accessory. The width of the panel depends only on your design taste, but the height should match the height of the claw sharpener. Or two panels if you are thinking of building an angled claw frame.
For manufacturing, you need materials such as a wooden block or the simplest wall panel. The height of the plank is 50-70 cm. To know more precisely, measure the length of your animal (without the tail). The height of the strap should be equal to two lengths of the cat, excluding the length of the tail.
Borrow an electric drill from a neighbor, prepare screws and hemp or jute twine (thread diameter about 5 mm). Buy 2 skeins of twine. This should be enough for a standard scratching post.
With a drill, drill 6 holes parallel in the bar and in the wooden panel. two holes each at the top, in the middle and at the bottom.
Tightly wrap the wooden block with the twine, carefully fixing the ends of the twine. IMPORTANT! Insert the screws before wrapping the holes left by the drill.!
Final steps. screw the wrapped block to the wood panel on the wall with screws. Get your cat to taste a simple wall-mounted scratching post. (Serve with grated catnip!)
Post scratching post. We do it ourselves. the cat rejoices
This cat trainer is especially loved by our pets. The average height of such a claw sharpener is about 1 meter. And the main difficulty in making a column is to find the column itself!
So, your cat is lucky and the pipe of the right size is already at home. What else do you need:
- wooden base podium;
- carpet or twine (jute thread);
- construction stapler and staples to it;
- fabric for the podium;
- pipe filling (construction foam, heavy timber).
- Cover a wooden square podium with velvety fabric and with a stapler from the floor, fix the fabric with staples;
- Cover the post with carpet or wrap it with jute;
- Fill the hollow pipe with construction foam or weight it down with a bar;
- Secure the pipe with a self-tapping screw exactly in the middle of the podium;
- Mask the top of the column with a pre-made “cap”;
- Hang a ball on a long string.
Scratching post made of natural wood
A scratching post made of natural wood is a wonderful decorative element. If you are lucky enough to find a suitable wooden element in the nearest forest park area or in the country, take it into the house. Carry and joke that you are not Lenin with a log, but a caring owner of a beautiful cat!
- Clear a piece of wood.
- It is not necessary to wrap a completely wooden base with twine, it is enough to wind arbitrary pieces.
- With the help of a crowbar and a strong word, or rather, with the help of a drill and male ingenuity, fix a tree-scratching post against the wall, hang your pet’s toys.
Finally. the four main qualities of a good do-it-yourself scratching post:
- Stability. The structure should not collapse, but it must firmly withstand the weight of the animal.
- Compactness. In a standard apartment, large multi-level structures, of course, will please cats, but they will push people out of their comfort zone.
- Durability. Cat manicure is a devastating thing, the scratching post must be strong enough to withstand it.
- Attractive appearance. You have to look at this work of your own hands for a long time, and therefore the process of contemplation should give pleasure.