Materials and tools needed to make a do-it-yourself dog kennel
In order to make a booth with your own hands, you must use environmentally friendly materials, it is best to use wood (conifers). For construction, lining is used, 12.5 mm thick (outer cladding), as well as fiberboard, chipboard, plywood and floorboard. You will also need bars in sizes 100100, 4040 and 10050. To create external corners and decor of the booth, use a wooden corner, as well as a symmetrical plinth and decorative slats.
To insulate the booth (and this must be done), use glassine, foam and mineral wool. The roofing material of the booth will be a galvanized profiled sheet or slate. It is not recommended to use bituminous shingles and roofing felt for these purposes, because out of habit, the dog will gnaw them and thereby harm its health.
The tools that we need in order to make a booth with our own hands are as follows:
- A hammer
- Building level
- Hacksaw or circular
- Galvanized nails
- Paint (pinotex)
- Drying oil
- Antiseptic impregnation for wood
Do-it-yourself dog booth: step-by-step instructions for creating housing for a dog
Drawings of the dog house
As soon as the drawing, and therefore the type of housing for the dog, is chosen, we proceed to creating a booth with our own hands.
How to make a dog kennel: step by step instructions
First of all, we cut the boards. In the event that the roof is single-pitched, the rear wall of the booth should be shorter than the front one, so that the rainwater slope behind the booth.
We prepare wooden blocks for the booth frame. Better to make the length of the bars with a small margin.
We knock off the frame of the booth in accordance with the previously prepared drawing
How to Build Indoor Wooden Dog Crate Furniture. with DIY Plans for the Recreational Woodworker
We sheathe the frame of the booth from the inside with boards, it is immediately recommended to build a roof. So that the dog does not get hurt, the boards must be sanded.
We construct a manhole in the front wall of the booth, the ends of which also need to be processed
Now we turn to insulation: we must insulate the floors, walls and roof with foam, on top of which the outer wall of the boards will be fixed.
After that, we sheathe the outer part of the booth using the material of your choice (fiberboard, chipboard, lining, etc.). If material permits, it is recommended to use wood siding.
We sew and insulate the frame of the dog booth
Next, we proceed to sealing cracks and seams, so that wind and precipitation do not worsen the cozy location of the dog. As a sealant, you can use slats, plinths, glazing beads, etc., the main thing is that they are wooden.
After sealing, we move on to the roof of the roof. For this, it is best to use slate sheets.
Well, in the end, it remains to treat the finished dog booth with an antiseptic and install the building on bricks or a pallet so that the floor does not rot on damp earth
That’s all, the do-it-yourself dog booth is ready! It remains only to paint it and install it in a suitable place.!
Choosing the size of the dog booth
The first step is to determine the size of the dog booth. To do this, we determine what kind of dog you have in size. There are 3 types of dogs: small, medium and large. Accordingly, dachshunds and similar dogs are referred to representatives of small ones, German shepherds are medium-sized, and Caucasian shepherd dogs are large. Based on this classification, it is customary to make booths of the following sizes:
- For small dogs: 700 550 600 mm (where the length is the first and the height is the last)
- For medium dogs: 1200 750 800 mm
- For large dogs: 1400-1000950 mm
The dimensions of the doghouse are allowed to be adjusted based on the dimensions of your own dog.
In order to correctly determine the size of the booth, you must adhere to this technique:
- In order to correctly choose the width of the hole, measure the width of the dog’s chest and add 5-8 cm to this value.
- The ideal height of the manhole is 5 cm below the height of the dog’s withers.
- The height of the booth should be 5-8 cm at the withers.
- The depth of the booth equals its height (except for some dog breeds, which dictate their own booth dimensions)
As mentioned earlier, the size of the booth can be slightly “moved”, but only to a larger value, especially if the booth is being built for a puppy.
During the construction of the booth, it is necessary to be aware of the following points:
- Accommodation for the dog should be comfortable so that it can lie down, turn around or stand up.
- The inlet should not be narrow, it is better, on the contrary, to slightly widen it for convenience
- The booth must be covered with insulation so that the dog does not freeze in the winter.
- The walls and roof must provide reliable protection from wind and precipitation.
- The material for making the booth must be environmentally friendly so that the dog does not spoil its health while living in the booth (it is best to use wood)
- The booth must be correctly located in the backyard (the side must not be windy, and the dog must see everything that happens on the territory)
- The roof can be either single-pitched or double-pitched, there is no big difference
- For convenience, make a small attic under the roof of the booth, in which you can put dog toys, dishes and other accessories.
- The manhole must be built in the direction of the long wall, so that the dog can more conveniently climb into the booth
If you are the owner of a large dog, it is recommended to build a booth in a dog enclosure, which is also not difficult to build with your own hands.
After we have decided on the size of the booth, we proceed to sketching a drawing, with the help of which it is easier to build a booth with our own hands.
Photo of dog booths
Another similar article: do-it-yourself birdhouse for the garden, go in and read!
Tools and materials
- wooden bars;
- net. for small breeds with small cells, for large ones you can take more;
- plastic side;
- furniture hinges;
- construction stapler.
The amount of all materials will depend on the size of your pet.
Making the cage ourselves
The cage can be made by hand. Surely on the farm there is an old fence net or an armored bed in order to make a home for your beloved animal with your own hands. over, cages can be expensive, so making a pet cage with your own hands is a good option to save money.
First, you should consider the size of the pet, so you can use the following recommendations:
- With an animal weighing less than five kilograms, it is worth making a cage with dimensions of 56 x 33 x 41 centimeters. Such dimensions are well suited for Chihuahua, Yorkies, Toy Terriers and other crumbs.
- An animal from 7 to 12 kg will feel comfortable with a crate of 62 x 39 x 48 centimeters. Basenji, Bigley, Pug, Fox Terrier. breeds for which a crate of this size is suitable.
- For a pet weighing between 13 and 17 kilograms, build a device with dimensions of 77 x 49 x 53 centimeters, which is ideal for French Bulldogs, Cocker Spaniels, Mittelschnauzers and so on;
- For huge favorites, it is worth building a crate with dimensions of 138 x 95 x 115 centimeters. A great device suitable for Neapolitan Mastiffs, St. Bernards, Great Dane and others.
Why does a dog need a cage?
A cage for a dog is necessary, firstly, because in many ways such an animal is a predator, and they just need a den. Surely you have noticed more than once how the dog is looking for a secluded spot under the sofa or closet. Secondly, even if the favorite is large, he is strong and formidable, but in many ways he is a child. The animal needs a personal space in which it will not be touched.
Therefore, cages for dogs are an appropriate thing both in the apartment and in the yards. over, many veterinarians believe that such a device can help with mutual understanding between the owner and the animal itself. So you can strengthen friendship, because who, if not the owner, lets the pet out of the crate? Who then feeds him deliciously? It is he, the owner.
Naturally, with such a content, a measure is needed: you should not keep the animal constantly in a cage. But in the case when you have a little extravagant who can mess up at night, why not lock him up. The crate is also necessary if the pet lives with a family where there is a small child. Agree, protecting each other from extreme attention is very important.
Crates are also required for transportation. Transporting the dog is a delicate thing, and the cage will allow you not to worry about the dog staining the whole car with its saliva or biting someone. There are many reasons why such a transportation vehicle would be appropriate, such as transporting a pet to exhibitions and competitions. And at the event itself, an exhibition cage will come in handy.
How to train your pet to crate?
There are also a couple of tips on how to crate train your dog:
- the pet should not be left locked up for more than three hours a day; over time, the length of stay can be increased;
- you do not need to be led by the whining and barking of an animal, since this will definitely become a habit and the dog will simply manipulate you;
- you do not need to use the cage as a punishment, as well as transferring a sleeping baby into it. you will lose the pet’s trust.
We bring to your attention a video that shows how to train your pet.
What are the cells?
Having asked themselves this question, for sure a lot of people will think about a huge box that stands in the house and takes up a lot of space. However, this opinion is erroneous, because there are many types of such structures. There are cages that are created for keeping animals at home, such, yes, they are huge in size. But there are carriages that are designed to make life easier for the owner while traveling. If you are the owner of large breeds, such transportation can be equipped with special wheels so that you can safely ride your dog to the car.
You can also find an exhibition tent tent. ideal for traveling by car to nature or competitions. Such an exhibition cage-tent can serve not only as a home for a pet, but also protect it from heat or rain. Such an exhibition device is more expensive than other types of cages, however, the price in this case is fully justified.
The foldable metal dog cage is indispensable for traveling by car with a large dog. Such transportation is very durable, it will be able to withstand the onslaught of even the largest animal. Today, such transportation is very popular for transporting animals.
- First you need to take measurements of the pet.
- DIY drawings or just figure out how you would like to see the cell.
- We take wooden blocks and build simple frames according to the given dimensions with our own hands in accordance with the drawings. You need to make 4 pieces for the walls and 1 each for the floor and roof.
- From the inside with our own hands we tighten the frames with a mesh using a stapler.
- Over the attachment with our own hands, we close the edge of the mesh with a plastic rim.
- We connect the frames to each other.
- We fasten the side where the cage door will be with hinges.
- We put the dog bed and its toys inside. Done!
How to make a do-it-yourself dog bed?
It is generally accepted that every cat needs its own soft and comfortable bed. Dogs have plenty of room on the mat. But this is not entirely true of man’s best friends. Own place is an important psychological factor in the attachment of the animal to the house, and, of course, most breeds will prefer to rest in a soft cozy couch than on a thin door rug.
Instructions for making a wooden couch
For large dogs, it is impractical to make a soft bed, since under the large weight of the animal, the structure crumples and quickly becomes unusable. For a dog bed to last longer, it is recommended that it be made of wood. This option is perfect for both a domestic dog and an outdoor dog. A rigid wooden frame will allow a large animal to comfortably accommodate. Follow these steps to create a cozy dog resting place.
- Prepare boards of the correct size. To do this, you can take old pallets, disassemble them into parts, sand them well and cut them into boards of suitable parameters.
- Sand the workpieces so that the dog does not get hurt by burrs.
- There should be four blanks in total: the bottom and sides on three sides. skillful craftsmen can surround all four sides with bumpers by making an entrance in one of the walls.
- Use self-tapping screws for fastening, as nails can injure the dog. Drill holes in the material, deepen the heads of the self-tapping screws as much as possible so that the pet does not cling to them.
- To strengthen the strength of the structure during assembly, use metal corners.
The simplest wood dog bed is ready. For convenience, you can attach a cabinet next to it, in which toys for the dog will be stored. And also some craftsmen adapt the bed to wheels. so it can be moved around the apartment during rearrangement.
Do not forget to cover the bed with a blanket on top to create a cozy atmosphere.
If you have experience with wood, then you can try to make a two-story structure for several dogs. In this case, a wooden staircase will lead to the second level. You can make a similar structure for one dog, but place, for example, bowls for food and water on the ground floor. Then the building will look like a whole dog’s corner.
If the size of the dog allows, then when creating a wooden couch, you can limit yourself to a simple wooden box turned over to the bottom. Another option is to make the bed from solid wooden pallets. In this case, four pallets are required: one base and three sides. The shape of the pallets visually resembles a classic children’s bed, which looks very aesthetically pleasing. You can paint all the material in your favorite color, and varnish it on top.
What materials at hand can be made?
When choosing material for making a dog bed, heed the recommendations of experts.
- It should be a fabric that is comfortable for the dog. Especially careful selection of material is required for short-haired breeds. The pile should not cause irritation, the canvas should not be squeaky. Consider options that are resistant to abrasion, clawing and brushing.
- For smooth-haired breeds, it is recommended to choose materials that store and retain heat. These include flock, velor, plush, felt, velveteen. Faux fur can be made for dogs that sleep warm, but this material should be avoided if the bed is made for pets with allergies.
- For long-haired dogs, beds made of smooth but dense material, such as linen, jeans, tapestry, are suitable.
- Comfortable, warm and soft padding will be made of foam rubber, padding polyester, batting, holofiber. Do not use fluff or straw as they can harbor bacteria and insects.
- Try not to use synthetic fabrics, they build up static electricity and can scare your pet. In addition, this material can provoke allergies in the animal.
There are many options, you just have to show your imagination.
In addition to the above materials, in the manufacture of a homemade couch, you will need other means: threads, scissors, paper for patterns. All this is in every home, and paper can be replaced with an ordinary newspaper. Before drawing up a project and choosing a material, it is worthwhile to study the varieties of dog loungers.
- Pillow. Suitable for both large and small dogs. It is carried out quickly, just stuffed with foam rubber or padding polyester. Doesn’t take up much space, you can just put it in the dog’s basket.
- A sunbed with a side. It is a bed with “walls”. Sometimes it can be made from the above cushion, embedded in a base with sides. Plywood or corrugated board is used as a base.
- House. Usually created for small breed dogs. Time-consuming to manufacture. Sewing can be carried out by taking a base, for example, a box. For warmth, you can lay out sheepskin or faux fur inside.
- Wooden bed. This variant is made for guard dogs of large breeds. A wooden lounger is often installed on the street next to the booth or directly in the aviary. A more complex variety. For manufacturing, you will need wood, self-tapping screws, a screwdriver and other tools.
We suggest trying to make one of three options for home dog beds. simple, complicated and complex. To create the most ordinary sunbed, you need an old knitted sweater. There are several steps to follow.
- Stitch horizontally from one armpit to the other. You should get two parts, among which the lower one will become the bottom, and the sleeves and the chest area will become bumpers.
- Stuff the bottom with the materials suggested above, or use an old pillow that matches the size. Sew the resulting “bag” tightly with threads or pull off with a string.
- Sew the sleeves to each other in such a way that they form the so-called pipe, which also needs to be filled with filler through the collar. The more elastic the sides are, the more durable and comfortable the product will be for the dog.
- Sew the neckline and fasten the sides obtained from the sleeves around the perimeter of the lounger.
It will take about half an hour to make such a bed, and even a child can cope with this task.
A pet will definitely appreciate a homemade bed.
A slightly sophisticated model can be made from old jeans. Step-by-step instructions for creating a denim bed:
- cut old jeans into 12 identical rectangles 24 cm high;
- attach the strips to each other with the front sides and sew their edges, iron the seams;
- from the sewn flaps, one strip with a length of about 150 cm should be obtained;
- sew the ends of the strip into a ring;
- cut out a circle with a radius of 24 cm from jeans. if the length is not enough, then you can create the missing parts using the applique;
- lay a layer of padding polyester and an old towel in the bottom area, sew two circles with the filler hidden inside;
- bend the side in half and sew to the bottom, and when about 10 cm remains to be sewn, fill the side with padding polyester, you can use a stick or wire for stuffing;
- sew up the remaining hole, if there are unused ends, cut them off, or sew into the sides.
This option can be used from two different sides. with or without bumpers. Depending on the size of the dog, the parameters of the bed may vary. This option is made for miniature breeds.
A more complex model for resting a dog is a house. It will take a little more time and materials. To create a house, follow these steps:
- pick up fabric for upholstery, fold it in half, draw a pattern in a size that is comfortable for the dog;
- cut out all parts with seam allowances;
- cut out the same parts from a dense sheet of foam rubber, but less by a couple of centimeters than the fabric elements;
- sheathe all foam parts with fabric cutouts, fasten them securely.
The house is ready, but for convenience, you can put a pillow or blanket inside. Alternatively, one of the sides can be zipped.
In this case, in the house it will be possible to easily clean up or get out of there things that the dog hid in his den.
Pros and cons
Among the minuses, we can only note that it will take some time to create. However, it can be turned into a plus. After all, you can involve children in work by spending a pleasant family evening with them making a bed for a pet.
By the way, pet owners know that their pets love to sleep on the owner’s clothes. The fact is that four-legged friends, in the absence of the owner, experience melancholy and boredom. Clothes that have fallen to the floor smells like their loved one, so dogs and cats love to relax on the owner’s things. In this regard, a homemade bed made from the owner’s old clothes will appeal to the dog much more than a purchased copy.
Another plus in favor of any bed is keeping the wool in one place. A dog that has no place of its own can lie down in the bedroom in the morning, in the hallway in the afternoon, and in the kitchen in the evening. Accordingly, for the whole day, the whole apartment will be filled with dog hair.
If the animal rests in only one place, then the owner will have to clean one bed of wool, and not run around the house with a vacuum cleaner.
Confined space training rules
It is important to correctly train the puppy to the construction.
As soon as the pet comes up, sniffs her or tries to enter, praise him, treat him with goodies.
Do not close the cage for the first few days: let the dog understand what will come out of there when he wants. Create living comfort for your dog. Place a bed, pet’s favorite toys, inside the device. If the dog stays in the “house” for a long time, start closing it for a short time. Then release your pet and reward him. Gradually increase the time your pet is in the cage. Soon you will see how the puppy pulls the toy inside.
How to choose the right one
The first rule that is mandatory in the process of purchasing a cage house is its size. It is important for the dog to stand freely in it, change positions without difficulty, sit and stretch in length. Do not buy a unit that is too spacious if you plan to transport an animal on a train, car or plane. Choose a home cage depending on the size of the dog and its habits. Then the cage will last more than one year, and the pet will appreciate it.
Why do you need a pet cage
The cage of dogs in the house is not a tough measure. Thus, the instincts of the animal, which many years ago, in natural conditions, preferred to live in a den, are taken into account. Some pet owners are convinced that dogs should move freely around the house, be in any room. However, research suggests that dogs from an early age look for nooks and crannies indoors to retreat. This does not mean that they are mistreated. that is their nature.
Watch your puppy crawl behind a closet or bedside table, looking for an empty shelf on a bookcase, or hiding under a chair. So the dog feels protected, it is comfortable in a secluded place. Here she sleeps and is sure that she will not be disturbed. Remember that dogs living in the local area, in most cases, are kept in kennels. Therefore, there is nothing reprehensible in arranging a small cage in an apartment for a four-legged friend.
Another factor that prompts dog owners to buy or build a cage for a tailed pet is psychological. Through its use, you will establish a lasting contact with your dog. Keep in mind that the animal will appreciate that it has a personal space. It is also important that only you should let the dog out of the cage to feed it, play with it, walk on the street, and the dog will soon realize who is the boss.
A cage for large or small dogs is also made with your own hand.
Materials and tools for work
You will need 12 wooden blocks, 55 × 60 cm in size to assemble the frame, and also a mesh. It is important to choose a strong net, and the size of its mesh depends on the size of the dog. Keep in mind that the sturdy, durable mesh does not contain moving parts that could injure your pet. Furniture hinges, a construction stapler, a plastic side are also useful.
How to make a do-it-yourself chicken cage
You know, chicks, until they celebrate their sixtieth day of hatching, require a lot of attention. It seems to a novice poultry farmer that if the chickens and feed are purchased, then it is not a problem to grow a chicken weighing 3 kg from a lump weighing 25 g. In general, this is true, but some effort is indispensable.
Broiler chickens in a cage
Remember the brooder article mentioned what you need to raise your chickens? The third item is the cage. I’ll tell you about my views on chicken cages.
What should be a cage for chickens
The chicken cage, in my opinion, should be mobile, that is, portable, mobile. The main thing here is the simplicity and ease of moving it from place to place. After all, you won’t call your neighbor every time, especially if you have to transfer it several times a day.
Why is there such a need? A cage. that a sunflower should move behind the sun, but it does not stand still.
Mobile chicken enclosure. Photo from the site zawazy.ml
Solid, with a wooden box that has a bottom, brushed aside. I can’t lift it alone, move it, catch the sun. This means, in addition to the high price for such a cage, I will also bear the costs of electricity. After all, chickens in it will have to be heated with an electric lamp even on a warm sunny day. It doesn’t matter if it is a simple incandescent lamp or a special infrared.
I want to raise not a dozen chickens, but much more. This means that the portable cage I have chosen should be spacious enough to accommodate drinkers, feeders, a shady place to relax on a hot day. And still there should be a free area for running, swimming in the dust, fighting ring and other things. This means that the surface that my structure will cover must be very impressive.
Growing up chickens peck feed
After analyzing the needs and possibilities, the idea of constructing a small portable aviary came up.
And the thought was born that this aviary should be easy to fold so that it can be carried through any doors, and in the shed it would be convenient to store it hanging on the wall, without taking up much space.
These thoughts and desires may seem thoughtless, because everyone recommends growing broilers in a small area. So it is. in industrial or in farms, whose income directly depends on the weight of the carcass. I need tasty meat, so I decided to move away from the standards of large poultry farms.
How to make a mobile aviary
The lightweight and durable portable design proved to be the best choice. I will tell you how to make it.
What is a chicken cage for?
It would seem that everything is simple: to protect and preserve. These two words mean completely different concepts.
You need to protect from crows, magpies, neighbors and your own cats and dogs, as well as rats, mice, ferrets. All these animals are very eager for young chicks.
Last year, my own cat stole a three-day-old chicken. I took the kids to the greenhouse for the day, came to pour milk whey again, and the cat (I did not expect such agility from him!) Rushed through the door, and crushed a broiler right in front of my eyes. Of course, she punished the cat. But you can’t bring the chicken back.
Kitten and chicken. Friends or foes?
You need to protect from bad weather or from too hot sun. If it is cold, the chickens will begin to huddle together, the weakest may die. In the heat, they will simply cook without shelter, especially if the drinking water is very hot.
For my conditions, only one material came up. a welded mesh made of wire of a small section. Cages are made from this in industrial poultry houses. You might have seen it if you watched stories about laying hens on television. Remember how the egg slowly rolls into the groove? This is a mesh that will do. Not heavy, keeps its shape, cells are small.
Welded galvanized mesh. Photo from the site xagetu.tk
I had a grid in maps. This is more convenient because there is less work to be done. If you buy it in rolls, you will have to make more cuts in the canvas. In addition to the mesh, you will need aluminum wire.
Why does a dog need a cage?
Before talking about dog cages, you need to figure out why a pet needs one. There are many reasons for this. If the dog lives in the yard, then he needs an aviary. Sometimes there is not enough space for its device on the site, and sometimes it is unprofitable to install it from a financial point of view. Especially if it is a summer cottage where the owners live only in the summer. A large dog cage can replace an aviary, and if it folds, it can be removed for the winter until next season.
When keeping a serious guard dog or a hunting dog in an apartment, it becomes necessary to restrict its freedom for safety reasons. Such four-legged ones are taught professional skills: a guard dog. to guard the home, hunting. to get game. If strangers come to the house, the dog may rush at them, perceiving it as a threat. In this case, it is most convenient to close the pet in a cage.
If there is a child in the house, then his relationship with the dog is not always good, especially if it is a serious breed. There are breeds that do not like it when children climb up to them. It is difficult to teach a kid not to touch the dog. For him, she is a big, fluffy and soft toy. Likewise, a dog may react inadequately to a child if he starts to touch him. A dog cage will be able to seal off communication between these two family members. Only you need to choose it so that the child cannot put an arm or a leg inside.
Cages for dogs are irreplaceable when transporting an animal from one place to another. This is especially true for show dogs, since they constantly need to be taken to various exhibitions and competitions, where show animals sometimes have to stay for several days. In this case, carriers play the role of a dwelling for the animal. Often a comfortable bed for the dog comes with the carrier.
It is convenient to have a carrier for going outdoors. You can buy a cover or do it yourself to cover the cage. In this case, the pet will receive a ready-made booth where he can rest. In addition, the cover will protect you from heat and bad weather.
A dog’s cage is his personal place. an area in which he can feel safe. Safety is especially important for show dogs. Therefore, it is necessary to accustom the dog to it from an early age. To prevent this from becoming stressful for the puppy, you need to know how to train your dog to crate. Having bought a puppy, you should immediately accustom him to a new home, where he will sleep and be in the absence of the owners. Thus, you can protect yourself from puppy pranks and surprises when no one is at home.
The presence of a cage solves the issue of raising a pet. Many pets react very violently to the arrival of guests. Some limit themselves to barking, while others like to jump on people. In an open carrier, the dog will be able to observe what is happening, and at the same time will not disturb the guests. Later, the pet can be released, guests will no longer attract much of his attention, as she will get used to their presence.
- it can be easily assembled by hand without using any tools;
- a retractable plastic or metal pallet allows you to keep the dog’s home clean, it is easy to clean, does not rattle, so it does not bother the animal;
- locks and hinges are made to prevent accidental door opening;
- for ease of transportation, the carrier is equipped with handles, and for large sizes. with wheels;
- there are six sizes of carriers, starting from the third size, they have two doors;
- carriers are equipped with rubber-coated feet, so they do not spoil the coating and do not slip.
There are many types of carriers. They differ in the material of manufacture, purpose and size. You can buy a ready-made carrier, or you can do it yourself.
If standard carriers are not suitable for your pet, or you have material and a desire to make it yourself, you need to come up with your own drawing or find a ready-made drawing, prepare the necessary tools and materials and you can start making the product.
Dog cage. a cozy home or place of confinement?
A cage for a dog sometimes causes unpleasant associations. restricting the freedom of the animal. But it is necessary when transporting a show dog, for example, by car. In the apartment, she plays the role of a pet booth, is his territory, where he sleeps and eats. The article tells about the types of cages, gives recommendations on how to train a dog to a cage, how to make a cage with your own hands.
Tools and materials
To make a cage with your own hands, you need to prepare the following materials and tools:
- 12 wooden blocks;
- metal mesh or steel rods;
- furniture hinges;
- plastic side;
- construction stapler;
- welding machine.
If there are any old boards, a net from the bed, you can use it to make a home for your pet with your own hands. The amount of materials required depends on the size of the dog.
Ways to train your pet to the cage
In order for the dog to feel comfortable in the cage, it must be taught to be in a confined space from puppyhood. You cannot force a pet to enter the cage, this will scare him, he will experience stress being in a confined space.
To train your dog to crate, follow these rules:
- inside you need to spread a soft bedding or napkin, put your pet’s favorite toys;
- before you place the dog in its new home, you need to remove the collar and clothing from it in order to avoid injury to the animal;
- to make the pet feel protected, you need to put a cloth on top that is not translucent;
- for transportation by car, you should select a cage that is optimal in size; a show dog that is too large can be injured;
- the pet’s cage should be placed in a place where it will be comfortable, it should not be placed in a draft, near heating appliances: overheating, like cold, is very harmful to the health of the animal;
- being in a confined space, the dog learns to maintain cleanliness, it will not shit in the place where it sleeps and will ask to be taken out for a walk.
How to build a Dog Crate Table!
Teaching a dog to its “den” consists in doing the following:
- Having decided on the place where the cage will constantly stand, the puppy needs to be lured into it with the help of a treat or toy.
- When accustoming your puppy to a new home, do not close the door when you put it inside. If he comes out, bring him back in and praise and give a treat, but only when he is in the cage.
- At first, the pet should be lured into the cage so that he voluntarily entered it, and give him the opportunity to leave it at any time, leaving the door open.
- At first, you should not leave the dog in the cage for more than 2-3 hours, the time should be gradually increased, depending on how quickly he adapts.
- If your pet starts howling and whining when you place it in the cage, take your time to release it. If you follow his lead, you will not be able to teach him to cage, he will manipulate you.
You cannot put your pet in a carrier in order to punish him, thus he will stop trusting you.
Bowls should be removed after meals so that they do not interfere with the dog’s rest and move freely. Teach your dog that the carrier is his den, put bowls for food, a bowl of water and try to feed the pet only in it. If the dog has taken something to its “den”, you should not immediately scold the pet and take the carried away item. This is manifested by her hunting instinct and suggests that the dog perceives the cage as its home.
The whole process of making a cage will consist of the following steps:
- Measure your pet to determine the dimensions of his home: height, width and length.
- When all the dimensions are received, you need to figure out how the cell will look like, make drawings with your own hands.
- The frame is made from 12 bars. The length of the bars is taken according to the measurements made earlier.
- When the frame is ready, you need to cover it with a mesh. The net should be taken with the size of the cells, depending on the size of the dog. The net should be free of moving segments that could injure the dog. A plastic-coated fencing mesh is suitable.
- It should be provided that the structure can be disassembled. For this, the frame is assembled from bars, which should be connected to each other using furniture hinges. Doors are also hinged.
- The mesh to the bars must be fixed with a construction stapler. You can secure the mesh with folded nails. In this case, you need to ensure that the nails do not pierce the bar through and through, as the animal can get hurt or caught with wool.
- The upper edges of the net should be securely fastened with a plastic collar.
To protect the animal, it is better to buy a special net. It has a plastic cover on the top, which prevents your pet from getting hurt.
You can make a completely metal mesh with your own hands, by analogy with the factory one. To do this, you need steel rods, and a welding machine to connect them. If you make a cage without using a welding machine, it will not be as strong, and some parts will be movable, which is dangerous for the pet. You can make an exclusive do-it-yourself carrier for a show dog.