- On the bottle, using a felt-tip pen, draw 4 vertical lines at an equal distance (for example, every 1.5 cm). Add to the vertical lines horizontal lines on both sides of the bottle. You should get 4 letters “C”. This is how we design future turntable blades;
- Cut out the marked lines with scissors. Bend the cut out parts of the bottle outward. We get the blades of the turntable. We glue strips of foil to them to frighten birds;
- We pass the wire through the bottle cap. We fix one end of it at the bottom of the bottle, the other end of the wire is inserted into the stick that we have prepared for installing the repeller;
- We install the turntable in a pre-selected place in the garden. The wind will turn the turntable, the foil will develop and shine, thereby scaring birds away from the site.
A popular homemade bird repellent among summer residents is a disco ball. an old ball pasted over with pieces of discs.
The ball can also be made from papier-mâché. It is best when there are several such balls. Swaying in the wind, they frighten the birds with their glitter.
You can also make a stuffed animal with your own hands. For example, in the form of a bird of prey. A scarecrow can be sewn from multi-colored or monochromatic scraps of fabric, glue the feathers of a “real” bird to it, make large, frightening eyes.
How to scare birds away from the garden. do it yourself scarer scheme
With all our love for birds, there are places and situations when their presence is undesirable. These are airfields and garden plots where birds mercilessly destroy the long-awaited crops grown with love.
Different ways are invented to scare off the birds, and they all work with varying degrees of success. Some easy-to-make bird scaring devices can be made by hand.
Let’s try to briefly tell you about how to scare away birds from the garden, about different types of scarers, their benefits, rules of use, cost, we will give an example of making several options for simple designs of homemade scarers.
How to make a bird repeller
Consider the option of making a simple repeller from a regular plastic bottle. For manufacturing you will need:
- Plastic bottle 0.5 l, as much as you like;
- Felt-tip pen;
- Strong wire;
- Tripod stick.
Modern means of protection
Modern industry offers bird scarers capable of humanely repelling birds. They are allowed to be used on the territory of Russia:
- Bioacoustic devices are usually equipped with a sensor. These devices mimic the cries of birds or calls to warn of danger. When birds appear in a radius to which the sensor is sensitive, the calls of a predator (hawk, falcon, owl) are reproduced. Such devices are successfully used at airfields, oil platforms, landfills, landfills. Sometimes they are also used indoors. in hangars, storage facilities, warehouses. Mobile bioacoustic devices operate within a radius of half a kilometer. The cost of acoustic bird protection is quite high. Buying them for a summer residence, most likely, will not be profitable;
- Ultrasonic scarers are most in demand today among gardeners. Ultrasound is not tolerated not only by birds, but also by moles, whose presence on the site is also undesirable. Having caught the vibrations of sound, they try to leave this place;
- Gas cannons scare away birds well. Birds don’t like loud sounds, they fly away from them.
And in this article, read about laying paving slabs.
Consider the main means of scaring away birds in the country:
- Scarecrow. One of the earliest bird repellents ever used by humans in the fight for crops. It is made, as a rule, from old clothes, giving the shape of a human figure. The scarecrow is installed in the garden in the immediate vicinity of vulnerable spots, where fruits and berries grow, which birds usually enjoy. The most effective scarecrow, according to experienced summer residents, is the silhouette of a hunter or a stuffed bird of prey. A stationary scarecrow causes an avoidance reaction in birds, however, only for the first time after its installation. Over time, birds, especially sedentary ones living in this area, get used to the scarecrow and stop noticing it. It is possible to significantly increase the efficiency of a stuffed animal by giving it mobility;
- Various rattles, bells also successfully play the role of scarers. birds are afraid of unfamiliar sounds. Sound noise makes them uncomfortable, interfering with their daily activities. One of the most effective deterrent devices is special sound settings. Ultrasound eliminates the presence of birds within a 10-20 m radius of finding them. However, for all its effectiveness, it has a negative effect on humans;
- The bright light is also irritating to birds. it disorients them. In places where birds congregate (for example, on the roof or on a chain-link fence), the use of so-called flashlights is effective. Bright rays of light, flashes that such a lamp emits, disperse the birds;
Bird repeller cost
The choice of crop protection products from birds today is quite large. Every gardener can easily choose a device suitable for his criteria.
The bird protection described above should be alternated or used in combination. As already mentioned, birds have the ability to adapt to different life situations, so scaring them off becomes more and more difficult every year.
Avoid nesting birds in your garden area. Carry out preventive maintenance in advance, paying special attention to the roof of the house, shed, attic and attic.
If the birds do not bring much damage to your crop, and their stay on the site is temporary and does not cause you any inconvenience, it is better to make a feeder for them. Read the following article about it.
Watch a video on how to properly make a bird repeller with your own hands:
Liquid Fence 1466X Goose Repellent Spray
It is a ready-to-use concentrate based on methyl anthranilate for
39.99. This repellent agent has been approved by scientists for the control of berry-eating geese. It discourages birds from appetite, acting on the nervous system, and is safe for humans. In addition to geese, the product is also designed for other waterfowl and large representatives of the land. ducks and turkeys.
The spray is economical: one quart is enough for 4,000 square feet. Manufacturer advises to use it for large areas. Safe to use even on fruit and berry trees and shrubs.
39.99 (1-quart) Check current price
Bird-X Balcony Gard Ultrasonic Repeller
This ultrasonic repeller for
14.47 Check current price
The use of a laser is considered the best way to scare away pigeons, crows and other birds, although not all of them react to it.
Device for bioacoustic imitation of hunting
This method was first used in Hawaii. When the birds began to crash into the power lines, scientists began to think about how to scare the birds away from them. To prevent them from crashing into power lines, people began to use a laser. And judging by the increase in their number in Hawaii, we can say that this method works.
The laser does its job best at sunrise and sunset, and is less effective at night.
It is worth noting that the lasers are located in such a way that the possibility of rays getting into the human eyes is excluded.
The disadvantage of lasers is that all equipment is quite expensive (from 650).
Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler
Unlike other devices in this top, this repeller is for
48.32 scares away animals with water. If someone appears within a 120-degree field of view at a distance of up to 40 feet, a powerful jet of water is released in the direction of the border trespasser. For better control, pre-install the sensor in the desired direction. The unit is powered by batteries. In general, users are satisfied with his work. “He shoots water so dashingly that you don’t even have to hit the animal to scare him away.” Users confirm: when there is Orbit, bird excrement stops appearing in the pool.
48.32 Check current price
The operation of bioacoustic devices is based on the reproduction of alarming sounds. They emit the cries of birds of prey, usually a falcon.
Initially, this method was used only at airfields, but it turned out to be convenient and began to be used in other places.
In everyday life, the bioacoustic device LS 2001 has gained wide popularity.
for bioacoustic devices fluctuate over a very wide range. For example, the Ukrainian bird repeller Korshun 16, which protects an area of 10 hectares from birds, costs 115, and the Bird Gard Pro bird repeller, which protects a smaller area, but with a higher sound output, costs 520.
This method has no disadvantages, except for the price: bioacoustic devices do not harm hearing and protect the territory well.
TOP-17 bird scarers
We have written an overview of all the types of repellents mentioned above. Choose exactly what is right for your situation and area. And the question “How to scare the birds?” will no longer arise. The most affordable solutions cost as little as 10.
The easiest way to scare birds away from eaves and fences. Installation of thorns. Amazon.com sells good polycarbonate and metal spikes under the Bird-X brand. Both products are 10 feet in length. They differ not only in material, but also in functional features.
Plastic thorns are branched and are suitable for scaring away not only pigeons or crows, but also small species, such as sparrows. They are attached to the surface using the supplied glue and stand
Metal spikes have no ramifications, so they are only suitable for countering large species like pigeons. They have a flexible base that allows the cleats to be attached to uneven surfaces and stand
Plastic Polycarbonate Spikes Price:
12.89 Check current price
Stainless Steel pikes price:
18.69 Check current price
Getting rid of birds: what scientists suggest
Each species is distinguished by the peculiarities of behavior and life. Therefore, the combinations of methods of struggle both for different types of buildings and against different types are different. It is also important to have several ways of fighting in the arsenal at once, since birds get used to most of the methods over time.
The main thing in the effective use of scarers. This is to start using them as soon as possible, immediately after the problem is discovered (or even earlier, if there is such a danger), so that the animals do not get used to the terrain. It is also important to use sufficiently aggressive scare away methods so that animals do not get used to the devices. And the last thing: it is most effective to apply methods of influence on several senses at once, so that the pest does not leave the feeling of anxiety and caution. Claimed by Holly K. Ober of the University of Florida.
Why are birds harmful in their summer cottage
From childhood, we are taught that birds are the protectors of gardens. They destroy harmful bark beetles, leaf gnawing caterpillars, aphids and other insects that harm vegetables, fruits, trees. However, for some reason, no one remembers that useful birds turn out to be dangerous pests, destroying the grown crop, if a bird repeller from a plastic bottle is not installed in the garden.
And this is not the only harmful act committed by birds:
- Nimble gray sparrows quickly notice when fresh lawns are sown. They instantly come to the site as a friendly family and quickly peck seeds.
- Bird flocks trampling on the grass harm young, immature lawns.
- Jackdaws love to eat vegetable seeds. They dig up freshly dug beds and look for prey.
- Ravens, starlings, pigeons are not at all afraid of human proximity. If the opportunity arises, they are not averse to flying onto the balcony, into the gazebo in the country, stealing something edible or shitting on the table, other garden furniture.
- Sometimes birds like to land on film greenhouses for rest. Soaring up, they tear the film with their claws.