Smoke generators: from application to operating principle
The name of this device. a smoke generator. speaks for itself. With the help of it, smoke is generated and fed into the smoking cabinet.
Smoke generator from a spent fire extinguisher
With a little ingenuity, you can turn an old fire extinguisher into a smoke generator, as in the photo.
The work must begin with cleaning the old contents of the fire extinguisher, make sure that there is no rust on its walls.
- Cut the fire extinguisher, stepping back about 5 cm from the top.As a result, we get a cover.
- Make a hole in the lid, screw in a tee with branch pipes.
- Connect a compressor to one of the pipes, and the other will serve to deliver smoke to the smoking chamber.
- Make several holes in the fire extinguisher at a distance of 4-6 cm from the bottom of the fire extinguisher. Chips will be ignited through these holes, the draft will be regulated.
The finished device can function for 7-10 hours. The operating time depends on the diameter of the extinguisher.
Self-made smoke generators
Craftsmen have long thought of various options for smoke generators for home use. To smoke food without spending a lot of money on equipment is the dream of many. Even non-professionals can make such a device from improvised means. All of them operate on a similar principle, the only difference is in the details from which the smokehouses are assembled.
Types of smoke generators by ejector location
Smoke generators are available with an upper or lower ejector.
The main advantages of the overhead option are as follows:
- Increased volume of the combustion area. The result is more stable smoldering.
- Profitability. Wood chips smolder slowly, which reduces wood consumption.
- Longer hose life. Being at a sufficient distance from the heating place, the parts of the device are less exposed to the negative effects of temperature.
The disadvantages of this type of smoke generators include the need for additional filtering of smoke due to the high draft in the chamber.
If the ejector is located at the bottom, large particles of fuel can enter the chimney. An increase in its length is required. This is not always feasible in a small suburban area or the territory of a private house. In addition, exposure to high temperatures reduces the duration of ejector operation.
Smoke generators of both types have found their application among smokers. However, in home smoking, it is better to use the top device type.
Smoke generator from cans
Tin cans are perfect for making a simple smoke generator yourself. This cheap way to get a good smoker will appeal to many.
- three cylindrical tin cans: two are identical, one is slightly smaller;
- connecting clamps or metal tape;
- fum tape;
- tee and nut to secure it;
- a piece of copper tube with a small diameter;
- a piece of pipe with a larger diameter and length for connecting the smoke generator to the smoking cabinet.
- Clean and dry cans.
- Connect two cans of the same diameter using an iron clamp or metal tape. First, cut off the bottom of one can.
- At the bottom of the first can, make holes for fuel ignition and draft adjustment.
- A tee is installed in the bottom of the third, smaller can. From the inside, it is fastened with a nut. The connection must be very tight and air tight.
- A squeegee with a tube is attached to one side of the tee, the connection is sealed with a fum tape.
- Insert the copper tube into the branch pipe at one end so that it protrudes from the other side of the tee by a few centimeters. Seal the entry point. Ejector ready.
- Attach the larger diameter tube to the second hole in the tee. It will be joined by a smoking chamber.
- Pour sawdust or wood chips into the lower cans to a height of about two-thirds and set fire through the holes.
- Close the structure from above with an ejector.
- Attach the compressor hose to the other end of the copper tube.
It should be noted that this device must be installed on a flat surface made of non-combustible material, because during operation, ash can spill out of the ignition holes.
How products are smoked?
Cold and hot smoked meats are a process in which foods are exposed to the smoky effects of slowly smoldering wood. It is the smoke that kills bacteria and gives the final product its unique smell. Without a special smoking installation made by yourself, such an effect cannot be obtained.
For its self-production, the following components will be required: a box for placing products, a smoke generator, a compressor (blower).
Smoke generator from an electric stove
For occasional smoking of small amounts of fish or meat, a simple smoke generator can be made using an electric hotplate.
- electric stove;
- old saucepan;
- pipe or used barrel,
- wire mesh;
- two rods of reinforcement;
- iron sheet, plywood;
- sawdust, chips.
The smokehouse should be located in the fresh air, as far as possible from living quarters. You need electricity to work, you may need to use an extension cord. Otherwise, things in the house will smell like smoke.
- Prepare the barrel. Thoroughly clean it from the remnants of the contents. Then, having measured about one third of the height from the top of the barrel, pass several reinforcing rods through its walls. Fasten the mesh to the reinforcement, hang the necessary products to it. The barrel is ready to use.
- Place the tile firmly on a non-combustible surface and connect it to a power outlet.
- Put wood fuel in the pot.
- Place the pot on the plugged-in hotplate.
- Using the temperature regulator knob, adjust the heating power.
- Put the barrel on the tile.
- Cover the structure from above with iron or plywood.
One load will allow such a cold smoking smoke generator to work for 4. 6 hours. The process is complicated by the need for constant control of the amount of fuel and correction of the smoldering temperature. For this, the barrel will have to be raised periodically.
Despite the flaws in this design, many users are attracted by the ease of assembly and low manufacturing costs.
Popular toys for budgerigars, cockatiels, lovebirds
So what toys do small to medium sized birds need? A number of requirements are imposed on them. They should be bright, variegated, and, if possible, noisy. Birds are often very active. Therefore, they love when everything creaks, rings, rustles, etc.
For small and medium-sized parrots, the following toys are suitable:
- Bells, rings, ladders, beads.
- Rattles, “egg” from a kinder surprise, filled with some kind of cereal. They will captivate the parrot for a long time.
- Beads made up of plastic bottle caps.
It is recommended to put in the cage everything that can be dropped and thrown. If objects make loud noises at the same time, the bird will be delighted.
Forage toys for cockatiels, budgies, macaws, etc. helps them develop their intellectual abilities. There are foragers of different difficulty levels.
How to make such a toy for a parrot with your own hands? Take coconut, for example. First you need to divide it into 2 halves, each of which should be cleaned of pulp. Then connect them together using a small wooden stick. Put your pet’s favorite treats inside. His task is to figure out a way to get them out of there.
Purchased toys or homemade
For sharpening the beak
Such toys are needed both for large parrots, for example, macaws or grays, and for medium ones. cockatiels or necklaces, as well as for wavy parrots, lovebirds, etc. This is a mandatory attribute of the cage. They can be made from wood, plastic or paper. The main thing is the safety of the material, because the parrot will definitely swallow at least a small piece.
The use of such accessories will protect against damage to furniture and other interior items.
Which should not be given
For the budgerigar, like other species of these birds, you cannot buy painted toys. Small pieces of paint can enter the stomach, causing food poisoning.
Also, the accessories should not have holes in which the bird can get stuck in its beak. It is better if the material used in the manufacture of toys is durable, otherwise the parrot will be able to crumble it.
It is worth paying attention to the presence of sharp corners. During the game, the pet can get hurt about them.
Mirrors: pros and cons
Parrots love to admire themselves very much. Sometimes they even talk to their own reflection. Therefore, a mirror in a cage is a must. A powder mirror is suitable for small birds.
It is not recommended to hang a mirror where more than 1 pet lives. Also, it will not be needed if the owner has enough time to communicate with the feathered.
Many experts believe that using a mirror is dangerous because it contains mercury.
Basic requirements for the playground
The owner is able to independently make his pet an adaptation for games and entertainment. By observing the behavior of a bird, you can take into account its character, temperament and preferences. Perhaps your parrot loves swings or climbing nets. Or he is attracted by the abundance of crossbars and perches.
- Convenient if the stand has a pallet. The parrot will be able to move on a flat surface, and it is easier to clean up after him;
- the presence of sides on the pallet will partially prevent the toys from rolling to the floor;
- the materials from which the stand is made must be safe;
- the diameter of the rings is calculated so that the bird does not get stuck in them;
- choose bright toys, with a noise effect.
Recommendations for the manufacture and location of the stand:
- It is better to place the play stand a little further from the cage. The parrot will get used to moving more. It is good for his health and physical development.
- The site should not be in a draft. Choose a place so that you spend more time with the bird.
- Usually the stand is located at the height of the cage, that is, at the level of the human eyes. It’s easier to keep an eye on your pet.
- The material for the stand is selected to be durable and free from toxic substances. This is a guarantee that the device will last a long time and will not harm the bird.
- To train your parrot to eat inside the cage, do not place the play area next to the feeder.
How to choose a play stand for a parrot
Parrots are naturally active. When planting such a bird, you need to remember that it is active and curious. A parrot locked in a cage will get bored and can get sick.
But if you let him out into the room and do not deal with it, he will find entertainment for himself. In this case, be prepared for pecked wallpaper, plucked threads from bright curtains, spoiled indoor plants.
The parrot play stand is a great way to distract the bird from the “destructive” activities in the apartment. A correctly selected and installed stand will attract the parrot and become its favorite place.
The stand will play an important role in bringing the owner closer to his pet, if the device is located conveniently for both. Taming a bird will go easier when it is on a stand, rather than in a hard-to-reach place.
By the way, the cleaning process will be simplified if the parrot spends time outside the cage on this playground.
Playground for wavy line
Making a play stand for a budgerigar, they proceed from the minimum size of the cage. 45 × 45 × 60 cm. The playground is made a little larger. The configuration and “number of storeys” of the stand depend on the needs of the parrot.
The easiest and fastest way is to fasten a large branch or 2-3 small branches connected with ropes. By hanging ladders and attaching crossbars, you can quickly equip a place for bird fun.
A more solid construction will require your imagination and a little more material. The branches must be pretreated, for example, scalded with boiling water. Wood of willow, cherry, apple, plum, linden, birch, alder and walnut is suitable. You cannot use conifers, as well as acacia and lilacs.
If you stock up on a jigsaw and patience, you can make a carousel for a feathered pet:
- A circle with a hole for the axis in the center is cut out of plywood;
- 6 flat figures of birds are made according to the template, which are attached around the perimeter with their heads outward;
- figurines serve as platforms for parrots to sit on;
- sharp edges and chips are smoothed.
Ladders are made from round rods with a diameter of 1.2 to 1.5 cm.A light bridge can be made from ice cream sticks by drilling along the edges of the holes and pulling a strong thread through them.
All devices must be decorated with bright beads and ribbons, bells and rattles must be hung.
Bird entertainment toys and supplies
Parrots are smart and learn quickly. By choosing the right toys, you can help not only the physical development of your pet, but also the mental.
When choosing toys, be guided by the natural inclinations of the bird and its preferred activities.
Parrots are attracted to objects that make sounds. So bells are needed on the playground. It is easy to make rattles with your own hands from any small plastic container. a small bottle, a testicle from a “kinder surprise”. Stir dry peas in there, and the fascinating trinket is ready.
Provide the parrot with a stone for grinding its beak, twigs and pieces of wood for biting, and colorful toys. Supply colored boxes, plastic bottle caps, balls and balls that are easy to grasp with a beak or paw.
Swings, rungs and ladders are needed for active bird activities. Her attention will certainly be attracted by hanging beads, a carousel, a mirror with a bell, rings.
How to entertain large birds
Large breeds include Grays, Amazons, Cockatoos, Macaws, Eclectus. It is believed that they are smarter, they have a more pronounced ability to learn, they bribe with beauty and thirst for knowledge.
A stand for these species of parrots should be large and strong. It is made from hardwood. It is better to replace the graceful little things with which budgerigars play with metal chains, teething rings, balls of durable plastic.
The perches are selected so thick that the bird clasps them with a paw by three quarters. So her claws grind better. Large individuals fuss less. They walk importantly along the bridges, flip on uneven perches, hang upside down.
Experts equate them in development with 4-year-old children. Large parrots willingly play with the owner, copy his actions, mimic those around him. At the same time, they need a lot of attention and they constantly need to be praised.
What trees are made of
It is very important to know from which types of trees it is possible to make an entertaining ladder for a parrot, and which ones are absolutely not suitable for this.
- sea buckthorn,
- apple tree,
It is unacceptable to use:
- bird cherry,
- a coffee tree,
- all types of conifers.
In general, any wood containing tannins or pine resin is prohibited.
Step-by-step instructions for making an entertainment ladder:
DIY Bird Perch Stand (Easy, Affordable NO Screws!)
- Cut branches from trees with garden shears.
- Rinse each branch from dust and dirt under running water.
- Soak the material for 2-5 hours, completely submerging it under water: this will help to destroy pathogenic bacteria and parasites.
- Thoroughly brush each branch with an old toothbrush.
- Pour boiling water over the workpieces.
- Dry material.
how to make a ladder for a parrot
Tools and materials
The work will need the following materials and tools:
- long sticks (about 40 cm) made of permitted wood, such as maple;
- short sticks (10 cm) made of wood in a contrasting color (birch);
- plastic clips for fastening;
- gardening scissors;
- stationery knife;
- stationery scissors;
- old toothbrush;
- container for soaking sticks;
- emery cloth;
How to make a ladder with your own hands
Making this kind of bird fun will not be difficult and will not take much of your time.
How to Build a Parrot Stand cheap. DIY
Why do you need a ladder for a parrot
Parrots love a kind of “sports equipment” that allows them to release their energy. For example, they are very fond of ladders, which contribute to the training and development of birds, encourage them to physical activity.
DIY parrot ladder
All objects that surround the parrot must be absolutely harmless.
Here are some safety guidelines to remember:
- It is unacceptable that products made by oneself have sharp or prickly edges.
- Pet ladders must be made exclusively from sustainable materials and acceptable wood species.
- Ladder parts must have reliable fasteners.
- For convenience, the accessory is positioned at an angle of 45 °.
- The rungs of the stairs must be placed at an equal distance to avoid injury to the legs of the parrot.
- It is unacceptable to use cotton harnesses or ropes in the form of fastenings for the stairs: during the game, the pet can disheveled this material and swallow its particles, which will lead to blockage of the gastrointestinal tract of the bird and its death.
As you can see, it is not difficult to make an entertaining attribute in the form of a ladder for a parrot, and it does not bring with it large material costs.
Spending some free time and showing imagination, you can please your pet and diversify his leisure time. And these funny birds, in turn, will gladly answer your attention with their activity and fun.
DIY parrot stand step by step
How to make a play stand for parrots with your own hands
Like humans, parrots love toys. Swings, bells, balls and other household items will fill your pet’s life with fun, intelligence games and exercise. Without them, life will be dull and this will negatively affect his health. In the article you will find information on how to make a play area for a budgerigar with your own hands.
What you may need
You will need woodworking tools and wood components. It is better to make a site from natural wood. It can be edged board, lining, chipboard plates, slats. If the parrot breaks off a piece, it will not damage it, unlike plastic particles.
Don’t buy scented wooden toys. The scent will provoke the bird to chop the item. The resulting wood is sure to be lunch.
But since the main activity of the bird is to grind and crush something, toys will have to be bought often. Therefore, later everyone comes to the conclusion that doing something with your own hands is much more practical and cheaper. Indeed, after a couple of months, the item will have to be replaced with a new.
But she needs toys, and it is much more convenient if most of them are collected in one place. You kind of make it clear to the pet that in this area he can grind a cardboard box to get to the treat, and you will praise him for his ingenuity, but the same box, standing in a different place, must remain intact.
Basic requirements for the playground:
- safety for a pet: a flat bottom, cleaned dense edges, non-toxic paints and varnishes with which it is processed;
- the presence of sides so that toys do not roll to the floor;
- production material. wood.
The site can be placed next to the cage. And also fix hooks in the walls of the room, to which you can pick up a rope or rings. Indeed, in the jungle, the parrot moves throughout the territory. In the natural environment there are no analogues of “playgrounds”, so the bird needs liana-like elements along which it can move.
In matters of health and hygiene, the site will have the same requirements as for the cage. wash all items with warm water and soap at least 1 time a week. Don’t use thin plastic. Splitting it and swallowing pieces, the bird can harm its health.
What toys can you fill the game complex
The need for the game is dictated by the conditions of detention in captivity. So, in the wild, parrots are busy looking for food most of the day. There is no such need in the room, and because the bird has nothing to occupy itself with, it can peck on wires, spoil the wallpaper, and pull threads from curtains. Therefore, toys are a way to distract your pet from vandalism. In addition, boredom leads to the development of behavioral deficiencies.
If you are creating a play complex, then you need to take into account the trends in the parrot’s play activity.
The main games are:
- study of objects and other actions with them;
- interaction with other living things.
To understand what kind of playground to make and what size it will be, start by exploring parrot games and toys. You can use the available suggestions as a guide to action and, on their basis, form your own set of toys on the site.
Below is a list of the main game elements:
|Game item||Game activity type||Application features|
|Mirror||Social activity||Mirror toys are often first on the must-have list. Though there are different opinions about the benefits of this group. Mirrors give a clear pleasure to the bird, since it sees the image and considers it a relative. If there is only one parrot in the house, then he needs a mirror for social activity. The opponents are those owners who made sure that when choosing out of 2 objects for communication. you and a beautiful bird in the mirror. the pet chooses the latter and completely loses interest in you.|
|Rope, hanging toy, swing, hanging hoop||Rocking||The parrot likes to swing on various objects for hours. Perhaps they remind him of the vines in their native jungle. If you create a hoop from willow branches and supplement with leaves, then the bird will have something to swing on and something to sharpen its beak about.|
|Branches, ladders, perch system||Rock climbing||The parrot’s paw is different from other birds. He has 2 toes in the front and 2 in the back, making him an excellent climber. Climbing toys provide him with the minimum physical activity he needs.|
|Pieces of cardboard box, rubber toys, branches||Stitching the beak||The bird’s beak is made of keratin, like human nails. And of course, it is constantly growing, so you need to grind it down. This requires branches and various items that can be shredded. And since the bird likes to explore different textures, to keep interest, toys should be made of different materials.|
|Rattles, bells, ball or polka dots in a glass bottle||Acoustic games||The parrot can imitate the sounds that other creatures and natural objects make. Therefore, he is partial to everything that may sound.|
|Braided balls||Intelligence training||In nature, food has to be obtained. A piece of something tasty inside a wicker ball will surely attract a bird and keep it busy for a long time.|
Playground for do-it-yourself parrots
If you have decided on the toys, collect them all and analyze what size pallet you need for them. To do this, you can expand them on a plane or draw up a schematic drawing.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
Step-by-step instructions for making a pallet:
- Cut the edged board into pieces according to the dimensions.
- If this is an unpolished board, then use sandpaper to smooth out all the roughness.
- Cover with varnish or paint. But first make sure that they can be applied to pets.
- Collect the bottom from the prepared boards. You can use non-toxic glue to connect them.
- Attach the sides to the bottom, fastening them with screws or glue.
- To fix various stands on the stand, screw the screws into the bottom, drill a hole in the center of the element to be fixed and screw it onto the screw.
- Now attach the ladders and other elements to the uprights.
To create swing elements and stairs:
- Drill holes in balls or pieces of rubber toys and run a long cord or axle through them to form a swinging system. Make sure the sharp ends of the connectors are firmly screwed into the hardwood.
- Take a thick branch and drill holes for different heights and angles. Connect it to several rope ladders or other branches with wooden dowels. Attach to playground or side of cage with eye hook.
- Drill holes along the length of the wooden blocks and thread a rope through them to create a staircase. Hang it up.
- Stretch a small string of large wooden beads interspersed with beans or sweet corn. It’s both a swinging element and a fun way to get food.
Parrot Stands: Purchased and DIY
Parrot stands are a lifesaver for those owners who cannot pay much attention to their pets. And for the birds themselves, it is a fascinating and magnificent playground for games and fun. Novice owners sometimes face a choice: to purchase a ready-made stand or to make it with their own hands. This article will help you figure it out.
Do-it-yourself parrot stand
When arranging a playground with your own hands, you should proceed from the breed of your pet. Small breeds are more fussy, therefore they like to ride, spin, climb on something all the time. Medium to large parrots such as cockatiels, grays, macaws and cockatoos are more relaxed. They like to flip from place to place, hang upside down, walk on bridges.
There are a great many options for creating a stand, there is no limit to imagination. The simplest thing is to get two or three strong branches, boil them well, or scald them with boiling water several times. Attach the trunks to the walls of the parrot’s cage in such a way that they create a kind of tent over it. Connect them firmly to each other using jute twine. And hang anything on this tent: rings, ropes, ladders, forage boxes, rattles, etc.
You can make a more solid stand:
- Prepare a sheet of plywood or a suitable board. this will be the basis of the site.
- Sand the surface and edges to remove chips and chips, if any. Or you can cover it with foil, so that later it would be easier to wash the stand.
- With the help of screws, drills, a jigsaw and other tools, wooden posts are made and attached to the board, on which ladders, ropes, swings, carousels and whatever your heart desires are attached.
See how quickly an original stand for a budgerigar is made with your own hands:
Which tree branches can you use to create a corner for your pet:
- apple trees,
- and ash branches.
For larger parrots, an excellent option would be such a stand-attachment, which is also easy to make on your own:
What toys are suitable for the stand
In terms of their functionality, toys can be educational, training, sharpening the parrot‘s beak and forcing him to take any action.
Of course, you shouldn’t clutter up the stand with a lot of toys, it would be better to have two or three, which are replaced with new ones over time. This will keep your pet interested in the playground.
These wonderful birds love to constantly climb and sway, so they will appreciate the ladders, swings, rings and ropes on the stand. Ladders can be both wooden and rope.
You can hang a mirror. budgies, for example, love to talk to him. If at some point you notice that the bird is tired of it, update it with a bell or a shiny bracelet. The feathered one will take this design and its reflection in the mirror for a new friend and again begin to coo with him.
It’s great when you place fruit branches with bark for the parrot on the play stand. The pet will actively climb on them and gnaw, training the beak and at the same time grinding it.
Another great option would be fruit holders. foragers. You put in them various greens, legume pods, lettuce or cauliflower leaves, spikelets, flowering twigs, and the bird picks it out with pleasure and eats.
Attention! It is appropriate to place delicacies, herbs and branches on the stand, but the feeders should be in the cage. The parrot should still receive the main food in its home. And the food at the stand is for fun.
Spruce and cedar cones, bunches of branches of trees and grasses are good, sunflowers are natural foragers that give a lot of pleasure to the bird.
Mineral stone for grinding the beak, sepia (cuttlefish shell). will also find their place in the play corner.
And, of course, ordinary baby rattles. bright and loud rattles that birds love to play with.
See how interesting the wavy parrot spends time in the play corner, at this moment its owner can calmly go about his business:
The best stands for parrots
It is important for the physical and mental health of birds that they can spend a lot of time outside the cage. If, walking around the room, they have nothing to occupy themselves with, they will quickly come up with an activity to their liking: they will start tearing wallpaper, gnawing wires, swinging on a chandelier, pulling threads from curtains, gnawing furniture. A play stand will save your house from these troubles.
- the materials from which the stand and toys are made must be safe;
- it is placed near the cage in a lighted place, but by no means in a draft, it is even better if you build a play corner in the place where the pet likes to be most often;
- it is undesirable to hang it on cabinets or bedside tables, unless you securely fasten the stand with screws. If he is unstable and falls with the parrot, then it will be difficult to lure the bird onto him again;
- the bottom should be even, ideally it will be good if the base of the platform is a pallet;
- it is desirable that there are sides. they will protect toys from falling out;
- toys in the form of rings should be of such a size that the bird’s head does not crawl, or, conversely, the whole bird can easily seep through them.
Important! Everything on the play stand must be safe for the parrot. It is unacceptable that it gets stuck between the rungs of the stairs or in rings, scratches on any sharp part, gets tangled in details (rings, chains, carabiners) with its paws.
If the play corner is interesting for your pet and he spends a lot of time on it, you will get another great advantage: you do not have to collect droppings all over the room, it will be concentrated in one place.
How to train your pet to play
Parrots are curious and active birds. However, they are also shy at the same time. They are very careful about everything new, and the appearance of a new accessory in the room can be perceived wary.
If the bird has followed the process of creating the stand, it will not be afraid of it and will deftly begin to study it as soon as you are done. But if you brought it from the outside, watch how the pet will react.
Gradually and unobtrusively introduce him to the site, do not rush things. Play with the rattles yourself, rock the swing, ring the bells, spin the carousel, in general, show how fun your pet will have at this stand. Curiosity will overpower and the bird will go to try everything by itself.
Parrot play areas are not a luxury item, but a necessity. Birds need to be busy all the time with something interesting. They get sick from boredom and loneliness. If you can’t spend a lot of time with your pet, make a friend or give him such an accessory. And then the bird will have something to do in your absence.
If you think making a do-it-yourself parrot stand is a difficult task, watch this video for three interesting options for simple playgrounds for feathered pets: