To make a showcase from scratch, you must first decide on its location, measure its parameters, and also think over what materials will be required.
There are many photos on the Internet with ideas of how a dwelling for a chinchilla might look like.
You can use one of them completely or take on board any details.
Check out popular rodents such as: guinea pig, chipmunk, squirrel, jerboa, rats, prairie dogs, dormouse, earthen hare, hamsters (Dzungarian, wild and Syrian), and capybara.
- The simplest option is from laminated chipboard, mesh and glass.
- From materials and tools you will need:
- laminated chipboard;
- wooden slats or aluminum profile;
- wooden boards;
- glass 6 mm thick;
- welded galvanized mesh with a mesh size of 1.5 x 1.5 cm (more, but not more than 2 cm);
- PVC tape;
- door hinges;
- self-tapping screws;
- screwdriver or screwdriver;
Before starting construction, it is necessary to draw a drawing with a clear designation of the parameters of each part. Showcase dimensions must meet the requirements.
how to make a showcase for a chinchilla with your own hands Next, you can start mastering, which will consist of the following steps:
- We cut out the walls, ceiling and pallet from laminated chipboard according to the drawing.
- We cut out windows in the walls, which will later be covered with a mesh.
- Cutting out the grid for windows.
- We fix the pieces of mesh on the walls with self-tapping screws. The caps of the self-tapping screws will need to be covered with something, for example, aluminum thresholds.
- We fix the back and side walls on the pallet with the help of tie screws into the holes pre-drilled with a drill.
- We fasten the walls together.
- Attaching the ceiling.
- On request, we can equip a place for storing feed and other accessories. It can be made in the form of a curbstone both above and below the showcase.
- We mount glass doors to the finished aviary on special hinges, which make it possible to do without drilling. It is important that the edges of the glass are specially treated to avoid injury to the animal.
- Attaching the latches.
- Using self-tapping screws, we attach the shelves inside the showcase.
- We close the screw caps with reliable plugs.
- We glue the edges with PVC tape.
Important! If you do not use a tray as a toilet, but a litter, then to make the cage easy to clean, it is best to equip it with a pull-out tray.
How to equip a showcase for a chinchilla
In order for the pet to feel as comfortable as possible in the new home, it must be equipped with various toys and accessories. For rodents, it is mandatory to place:
- a special house where he can hide from prying eyes for relaxation. Its size should be slightly larger than the size of the animal itself;
- shelves where the pet will rest, observing the environment;
- hammock. It can be one. or multi-tiered;
- various wooden toys, foam balls;
- running wheel and tunnels;
- a bathing suit with sand (it is put in a cage every day for 20. 30 minutes);
- mineral and salt stones;
- drinker, feeder and sennitsa.
What is a showcase for?
A showcase for a chinchilla today is a more popular option for keeping an animal than a cage, although it is more expensive in terms of price and care. For an animal to feel comfortable and protected, it needs its own closed dwelling. And a showcase for these purposes suits as best as possible. It is spacious, looks very nice, unlike, for example, a metal cage, it can be made of various materials, including natural ones. Chinchillas love these corners, especially those made of wood.
The showcase has several advantages over the cage:
- It makes less noise.
- Garbage does not fall out of it.
- Easier to clean.
- It looks more interesting in the interior. you can, for example, match the color to the furniture in the room.
- When installing the aviary on wheels, it can be moved to any corner of the room, for example, when rearranging furniture.
Among the disadvantages of a wooden display case is the absorption of odor and moisture, which makes it short-lived. Display cages are made from the following materials:
- aluminum profile.
The most practical and durable, but at the same time expensive option is the latter.
DIY showcase for chinchilla
Chinchillas are among those animals that do not like closed spaces at all. This is what makes them different from other rodent species and makes them special. From rabbits to hamsters, everyone is doing great in a cage. But if we talk about chinchillas, then they simply cannot live without large spaces. A showcase for a chinchilla with your own hands will help you solve the issue with a house for the animal.
Therefore, it is important that the chinchilla showcase is not only large, but also comfortable and spacious. It is quite difficult to acquire just this, but it is quite possible to do it yourself.
DIY showcase for chinchillas. step by step instructions
Chinchillas are unique animals with their cheerful disposition, agility and gracefulness. They love to jump, play, and are quite active.
Due to their high mobility, they need to organize a lot of free space.
Therefore, instead of a cramped cage, they should be provided with a spacious and attractive showcase, which is easy and simple to make with their own hands from scrap materials.
Chinchillas don’t feel comfortable in cramped cages
Where does the rodent live?
Imagine a grandmother’s sideboard, or rather, its upper part. This is a cabinet with doors at the bottom and glass shelves at the top, again behind glass doors, which are made sliding or opening. This upper part is the showcase. For a chinchilla, the shelves can be made of plywood, and the glass doors can be replaced with fiberglass material or something similar. if only the light penetrates.
I must say that a chinchilla will feel much more comfortable in a showcase than in a cage, and there are many reasons for this.
- Showcase is more spacious than a cage.
- The cage is made of twigs, there is nowhere to hide in it, and the chinchilla needs its closed burrow. Showcases are optimally adapted for this purpose. the owner can improvise with closed areas quite freely.
- There is more space in the showcase than in the cage, because its depth can be made to any.
- Various natural materials that the owner can use to build a showcase will suit a rodent more than metal rods. Chinchillas prefer secluded places where they can hide in case of need, and if they are made of wood, it is just fine.
- The rodent located behind the glass of the showcase creates less noise, does not interfere with the owners so much.
- It is easy to get it out of the showcase if several doors are provided in the front wall.
- If debris constantly pours out of the cage through the bars, then the solid wall will prevent this unpleasant feature, besides providing access to each “floor” of the showcase, cleaning will not take much time.
- A showcase can be “disguised” if it is made of materials matching the color of the furniture set.
- If you equip the showcase with wheels, it can move from room to room in order to create an acceptable temperature regime for the rodent and not overheat it. It should not be forgotten that temperatures above 25 degrees Celsius can cause heatstroke in chinchillas, because these animals come from the highlands of the Andes of the South American continent.
Having come to the conclusion that a showcase will be the most convenient habitat for a chinchilla, you should pay attention that you can make a showcase yourself from wood, aluminum profiles, and plastic structures. There is a certain set of requirements for the manufacture of display cases:
- the smallest space for a chinchilla should not be less than 800x800x500 mm;
- with the content of a larger number of individuals, the sizes increase multiply;
- the materials from which the showcase is made must be quite durable and safe, since any rodents have a habit of trying them “by the teeth”;
- the showcase should be dry, warm, well (but not excessively) lit, and have good ventilation;
- during manufacturing, sharp edges, protruding corners of the panels should be removed, which could cause accidental injury to the pet.
Keeping a chinchilla with a lack of space for physical activity is not recommended, as this can certainly cause diseases.
This is one of the most important requirements for display cases of this type so that the animal is not cramped. Chinchillas require at least 0.4 m2 per individual. over, this area does not depend on either the length or the width of the showcase. both can be changed either at will, or based on the dimensions of the apartment.
Why is it often advised to use the skeletons of old cabinets as a basis? The point is the convenience and simplicity of its conversion. you will need to spend a minimum of effort to turn it into a showcase. Although a certain danger to the pet may lie precisely in the material from which the cabinet was made. Chipboard, which is the most common material for cabinet walls and consists of epoxy resins, can poison a rodent with its components if it manages to gnaw off some of it.
For this reason, it is recommended to choose a cabinet in the manufacture of which natural wood was used, and not chipboard.
Here is a rough step-by-step process guide describing how to build a display cabinet out of a cabinet.
- Remove the doors.
- If there are shelves, cut openings in them. Chinchillas will need them for transitions between levels.
- In the event that there are no shelves, there is room for imagination. shelves can be placed in any order.
- The material for the shelves must necessarily be natural wood, since chinchillas prefer to “taste” exactly horizontal surfaces. the vertical wall is less convenient for gnawing.
- In the upper part of the cabinet case, it will be necessary to cut out ventilation holes so that air masses can circulate freely inside the showcase.
- Do not forget to tighten these holes with a metal mesh. such a chinchilla will definitely not even try to gnaw.
- The removed cabinet doors are replaced with a metal mesh stretched over the frame, or they are made of transparent material. Most experts recommend the mesh.
- To do the work on the manufacture of such a frame, it is recommended to take the same removed “native” doors and replace the panels with a mesh, leaving the outer door frame about 100 mm wide to fix the mesh.
- It is very good if the lower drawers were originally provided for in the cabinet design. This will make the re-equipment even less energy-consuming. just at the next stage you will have to remove the floor of the main part of the cabinet and change it to a frequent mesh, under which it is easy to place a container where droppings and debris will fall through. This will greatly facilitate the cleaning process.
How to make a showcase for a chinchilla with your own hands?
Chinchillas are touching and cute rodents that need the attention of their owner. How long a chinchilla will delight us with its presence depends on the care we surround it with and on the conditions that we create for the animal to exist in a city apartment.
5 DIY CAGE LEDGES for Chinchillas | Design your Cage with These 5 EASY SHELF IDEAS!
How to make yourself?
If there is no cabinet suitable for conversion, the showcase can be made by hand. To provide the most comfortable manufacturing conditions, you will have to use:
- self-tapping screws of different sizes;
- new door hinges;
- drill / swing;
- sealing tape.
Since it is difficult to guess with the dimensions, there are no ready-made drawings “for all occasions”. they will have to be made independently by measuring the allotted area of the room. Accordingly, the required amount of material is also selected. This may be an approximate sketch-drawing for a medium-sized room.
Usually, racks are used as legs, in the case when the floor of the showcase is made of mesh, and a certain gap is required between the mesh and the floor, so that a container for collecting chinchilla waste is included under the mesh.
In addition to simple shelves with holes, a showcase for chinchillas is also equipped with some accessories. For example, as a hole, that is, a shelter from daylight, a small house can serve, which is easy to make in accordance with the dimensions of the showcase itself.
It shouldn’t be too big or too tight.
The feeder can be designed in the form of a manger made of wood or the same metal mesh, where you will need to put hay, or other feed.
If the chinchilla is limited in its physical activity, it will quickly gain weight. Therefore, the so-called town will be very appropriate. It should at least consist of:
- running wheel;
- multilevel shelves connected by passages in the form of a suspension bridge, tunnel or staircase;
- swing / hammock.
For how to make a showcase for chinchillas with your own hands, see the next video.
DIY showcase for chinchillas
Any owner of such an animal as a chinchilla one day begins to think about how to provide maximum comfort for his pet. To do this, of course, you should choose the right cage in which the pet spends most of its time. Indeed, many people have a small pet house and, as a rule, purchased, and such animals must be in a large dwelling for their skeleton to develop properly. In this regard, many owners begin to make a cage with their own hands, which looks more like a showcase, but with a large internal space. This article provides an example with step-by-step instructions on how to make a cage and equip it with your own hands.
5 Things Chinchilla Owners Should NEVER Have In Their Cages
If the animal is in an apartment, then the dwelling must be designed with dimensions 80x80x50 cm. It will also need to be equipped. This means that at least feeders and drinkers will need to be placed in it. As for the feeder, it would have to be mounted securely so that it was impossible to turn it over. A similar action will be required for the drinker. By the way, it is better to use a nipple drinker.
It should also be noted that the chinchilla needs certain vitamins and minerals. Thus, you will need to place a salt or mineral stone on which the pet can grind its teeth. You can also equip the house with a special bath, into which sand is poured. Animals will be able to swim in it and immediately clean their fur.
Chinchilla cages should be equipped with multiple shelves. You can make them out of wood yourself and then securely fasten. And finally, you can put a wheel, a hammock for an animal and other attributes on which the chinchilla will climb and jump. All attributes, bowls, etc. should be arranged in such a way that it is comfortable to clean the cage and disinfect it.
Cell selection and parameters study
When making a drawing, it is necessary to take into account the dimensions and external characteristics of the house. You should also consider how many chinchillas will live in it. For example, if one pet lives in the house, then you need to immediately decide whether another one will be bought, possibly for mating. After that, the correct calculation should be made and if there are offspring, then the place for them.
Based on the future design, one cage can contain from one animal to several. It is only important that there is free space.
Finished cells and their characteristics
A purchased pet cage will be quite expensive if it is made of good quality materials. Of course, if a house is purchased from low-quality raw materials, then its cost will be lower. At the same time, the build quality and materials are lower. And this can be bad for the animal. The biggest disadvantage of a purchased home will be its shape. Because it will be made according to the manufacturer’s standard dimensions. And such a design may not fit into the overall design of the room. But if you make a showcase yourself, then you can choose the right material, make the house convenient for yourself and for the animal, and also save a certain amount of money. You can watch the video about how you can easily make a showcase cage.
Making a cage
A large do-it-yourself showcase cage for chinchillas is much better for an animal than an ordinary small plastic dwelling. Therefore, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the step-by-step instructions for making a house. First you need to make the desired drawing or use the one provided in the photo. Next, you need to prepare the materials from which the cage and all the tools necessary for the work will be made. After that, you can start construction.
Initially, it is necessary to select the dimensions according to the drawings. Therefore, on the prepared material, it is required to make markings and cut according to the specified parameters. Alternatively, you can use clean wood. Also, after the parts are cut, you should immediately make certain holes in the walls. Which in the future will serve as windows for the cell. These windows are best covered with regular mesh, but not coarse mesh.
- The next step is to cut the mesh to fit the window. All pieces of it must be installed on the walls. For this, you can use small nails or self-tapping screws. It should be noted that the chinchilla can choose different mounts and can begin to grind their teeth about them. In this regard, it will be necessary to secure the pet and the cage and close all caps and points from self-tapping screws.
- Next, you need to screw all the walls to the pallet. Thus, you will get an almost finished house, which will have a base and walls. You can fix them using corners or special tie screws. All fasteners must be reliable so that the cage does not fall apart over time.
- In addition to the main display case, it is necessary to equip a place for installing and storing the chinchilla’s things. For this, a small bedside table can be constructed at the top of the cage. For doors, use hinges and a stopper. In such a bedside table, you can hide food and other pet things.
- Further, glass doors should be installed to the main showcase. Better to use plexiglass. This will allow enough light to flow, and the beast and the owner will see each other.
- Thus, the cage is almost ready, it is necessary to install more shelves. For this, you can use different sizes and different mounting heights. Shelf attachment can be at the discretion of the owner.
- At the end, you need to cover all the heads from the screws with plugs. This procedure is needed in order to protect the animal. And in order to protect the tree of the cage, you need to seal the corners of the enclosure with foil. This completes the creation of the cell.
At the end, feeders and drinkers should be installed, as well as attributes for a comfortable stay of the pet. Finally, it is recommended to watch a video on creating such a showcase cell.
- Chipboard for walls and floors;
- galvanized mesh;
- glass for the front wall;
- shelf boards;
- self-tapping screws;
- PVC tape;
The first thing to do is to determine the size of the future showcase. Looking at the drawing, you need to cut out the chipboard and make holes for the mesh on the walls. These mesh holes will serve as windows for the chinchilla. Next, you need to cut the mesh according to the size of the windows and attach it to it. This is done with self-tapping screws. It should be noted that the place where the mesh is attached can be used by the animal for turning teeth, and this is highly undesirable. These places are better hidden by the rapids.
The second step will be to fasten the side and rear walls to the semi-base. For this, the walls are installed on the base and holes are made for the screeds with a drill. After that, the walls are attached to each other, then you can fix the roof. In addition to the main room, you need to equip a box for the chinchilla’s things. Such a box is usually placed above the showcase, and secured with ties.
When the main work is done, you can start installing glass doors. Usually glass is chosen with a thickness of at least 6 millimeters. For doors, it is better to choose special hinges, the fastening of which does not require drilling the glass. Shelves can be installed using screeds. It is better to cover all the screed caps with caps, and the showcase can be considered ready. Then you can put a feeder, a drinker, trays with sand and hay in it, and populate your pet there.
The process of self-assembly of the showcase can be filmed to help those who are just about to start this painstaking but interesting work.
It is also worth taking into account the general interior of the house or room, because the cage should be in harmony with the general environment. It is also worth thinking ahead. having one rodent today, in the future there may be a desire to have one or more. Therefore, perhaps a cage is needed that will accommodate a partner and future offspring.
Examples of factory-made designs and do-it-yourself designs:
Of course, the chinchilla is a pet, but first of all it belongs to rodents. Therefore, the material for the cage must be chosen durable. The cage should not restrict the activity of the animal. One chinchilla needs at least half a square meter. The cage should be equipped with containers for food and drink. It should be remembered that the chinchilla may well overturn the feeder or drinker, so it must be installed firmly. It can be glued or made a weighted bottom. It is worth putting a mineral or salt stone in the cage. It will not only become source of vitamins, but will also enable the rodent to sharpen its teeth.
Chinchillas love to take sand baths, so take care of the sand tray. One has only to watch funny videos on the Internet about how they play in the bath and everything becomes clear. If you equip a cage with wooden shelves, the chinchilla can sleep on them. A hay reservoir is also a necessity, because the animal loves to gnaw it very much.
Comfortable chinchilla cage
Keeping a small, funny and cute animal at home is a sure way to get rid of stress, cheer yourself up and fulfill your need to take care of your neighbor. A chinchilla would be a good choice, because it is beautiful, active, good-natured and devoid of aggression, especially towards children. Now you need to make a cage for her, armed with knowledge from special literature and video with instructions.
The owner, who shows tender care for his pet, strives to give him the best, so many come to the desire to make a cozy house for a chinchilla on their own.
Cleanliness and features of the arrangement of the cage
Often it is not necessary to disinfect the cage, but the pallet needs careful maintenance. If the waste products are constantly under the feet of the chinchilla, this will affect its health. Chinchilla is much more accurate than its rodent brothers, loves cleanliness very much and is not source of unpleasant odors. Therefore, you need to install a litter box and change the litter regularly. Unpleasant smells and dirt annoy the chinchilla, it can even hurt from them. Additionally, the showcase can be equipped with stairs, bridges for active games. Feed and water must be available at all times. There are drinkers that can be fixed to the walls, they are much more convenient for both the owner and the pet.
Do not place the cage where heat sources are. The chinchilla has a warm skin and it can overheat if it stays near the radiator all the time. In general, caring for a chinchilla is easy if the animal is a joy.