DIY cat feeder (puzzle)
Plastic container with lid \ plastic bottle
We make several holes of different sizes in a plastic container / bottle. If the edges of the holes are too sharp, they can be singed. We put cat toys and treats in the container and give to the cat.
Below the text is a video instruction for making an interactive cat feeder
DIY cat feeder (puzzle)
Another popular type of auto feeder that is easy to make with your own hands is a puzzle auto feeder. Such feeders-games consist of assorted tubes, columns, molds, etc., arranged on a board or even on a shoe box lid. Food or a cat treat is scattered around the puzzle, and the cat tries to get all the pieces and eat them.
An example of an auto-feeder puzzle for cats can be seen on this
DIY cat feeder
DIY auto feeder for cats is an excellent solution for those who do not want to throw money down the drain and are able to make something on their own.
However, it is worth noting that only a person with at least minimal knowledge of programming and / or electrical engineering can make a programmable auto feeder for cats on their own. Although there are craftsmen who collect auto feeders even from old drives and alarm clocks. But you need to understand that, as a rule, such devices look untidy and often break, because they were made handicraft; moreover, they may not meet safety requirements. Therefore, it is better to buy auto feeders, and make simple, interactive feeders and puzzle feeders yourself.
DIY auto feeder for cats (simple)
We cut off the bottom of one bottle and cut out the pallet from it so that it resembles a scoop in shape: we leave the sides in front, remove them in half from the sides, remove everything from behind. In the second bottle, cut a small hole at the very bottom, the same height as the sides at the pallet. We insert the pallet into the hole and attach it to the bottom of the bottle with glue or an awl and cord / plastic tape. Do not forget to fasten with the main bottle and the edges of the sides of the pallet.
We put the food into a bottle, and it wakes up into the pallet as it is emptied by gravity.
You can watch how to make such an auto feeder yourself in the video presented in the video
DIY cat feeder (interactive)
Plastic container with a lid (for example, from a kebab or mayonnaise)
Cut off the neck from the bottle. Cut a hole in the bottom of the container so that the neck of the bottle fits snugly inside it. We close the container with a lid. We pierce the cover with an awl. We pierce the ball with a wire and attach an elastic band to the wire. We stretch the elastic through the neck of the bottle, the container and the hole in its cap. We fasten the elastic with a paper clip or simply tie it in a knot so that the ball tightly plugs the neck of the bottle.
We attach the feeder to the wall or cabinet, put a bowl under it. We fill the container with food and show the cat how to get food.
The creation of an interactive feeder is clearly shown in the video
DIY auto feeder for cats (sports)
If your cat needs a diet for a long time, then you can build a feeder for her, shown in the following
Create a variety of puzzles and puzzles for cats. this is useful for their development, but, here, it is better to entrust the creation of miracles of technology to professionals.
How to care for an auto feeder
Auto feeders for cats are convenient, but a little more difficult to care for than regular bowls for water and food:
Cat Feeder. DIY Self feeding cat food dispenser
- They should be disassembled periodically and washed thoroughly.
- Check regularly that the feed openings are not clogged with food pieces. This can lead not only to the fact that the cat remains hungry, food in the container may begin to deteriorate, especially with regard to wet food.
- It is advisable to carry out a complete disinfection of the devices once a month, preferably with baking soda, rather than chlorine-containing products. If food stagnation and the formation of putrefactive deposits on the walls of containers are allowed, this can lead to gastrointestinal disorders, malfunctioning of the pancreas, inflammation of the oral cavity, irritation and acne on the animal’s face.
If several cats live in the apartment, then it is advisable to have their own feeder for each pet, although some animals follow the order of food perfectly. In this case, it is necessary to provide for an increase in the single dose.
Do not forget that a bowl of clean water or an autodrinker must be placed next to the auto feeder.
In addition, these feeders are perfect for small dogs, such as Chihuahuas or Toy Terriers.
Auto feeder from watches
This auto feeder is a little more difficult to make.
- Mechanism to be removed from an old wall clock.
- Quartz watch batteries.
- An empty, low, wide metal can with no sharp edges, such as candy or snack containers.
- A little clay for creativity that does not require firing.
- Plywood sheet of small thickness.
- Fasteners. It can be scotch tape with two adhesive surfaces or electrical tape.
- Four small diameter rubber suction cups.
- Fast drying paint without toxic substances.
- Tools for work. jigsaw or wood saw, hammer, screwdriver, brush.
In order to assemble the device, you must:
- Gently coat the metal container with clay, erecting partitions that will divide the improvised bowl into several parts.
- In the center, leave a space in the shape of a circle, where to fix the clockwork, for example, using double-sided tape.
- Reinforce the hour hand by attaching a piece of plywood to it. To do this, you can use electrical tape or glue.
- Cut out a piece in the shape of a circle with a bowl diameter from a plywood sheet.
- Apply to the finished lid the lines of the four sectors corresponding to their location in the bowl.
- One plywood sector needs to be cut.
- Using the fasteners, secure the makeshift lid to the homemade bowl. Small studs or screws can be used.
- It is advisable to hide the heads of the studs under decorative elements, for example, from the same plywood, painted in bright colors.
- Glue rubber suction cups to the bottom of the bowl.
- Colorize the bowl and lid.
Batteries must be inserted into the clockwork and the hand must be secured in such a way that it turns the cover every two hours.
If you place a container with ice under the bowl, then such a homemade auto feeder can also be used for wet food or canned food.
Interactive puzzle bowls
These are unusual devices designed for active and curious pets. Sometimes such mechanisms are acquired by the owners of nurseries specifically in order to develop the intelligence of young animals.
An auto feeder is most often a labyrinth bowl and in order to get to food, the pet must show intellectual abilities.
In addition, the element of the game is good for the appetite of animals and awakens the hunter’s instinct. In the case when it is planned to leave the pet alone for a long time, you need to make sure that the cat is really able to get food from the interactive device.
Simple auto feeder made of plastic bottles
This design is also very easy to manufacture and will serve as an excellent replacement for a ready-made purchased auto feeder.
- two plastic five-liter bottles;
- cutting tool. scissors or a stationery knife;
- glue gun.
The procedure for manufacturing the device is as follows:
- Cut off the bottom of one of the containers and make a kind of pallet from it.
- The second bottle will serve as a container for feed. a small hole should be cut at the very bottom at the level of the pallet height.
- Insert the container into the pallet.
- Fasten the parts together with a glue gun or an awl and tape.
- Pour the dry mixture into the container.
The pallet will serve as a bowl where food will gradually dump under its own weight as the cat eats the pellets.
How to make such an auto feeder, look at
Advantages and disadvantages of a cat feeder
The Auto Feeder is intended solely for serving cat food in portions. It is especially necessary for furry pets, as they can all be divided into three categories:
- With a poor appetite, those who eat little and are reluctant.
- Eating normally, in accordance with the norms of feeding.
The biggest problem for the owner is cats and cats, ready to eat all the time. These pets face endless gastrointestinal problems and obesity. Such animals are not able to move away from the bowl, if there is food left in it, they eat everything and always cleaned up. Therefore, it will not work to fill them with food for several days and leave for the weekend. In this case, the device with automatic feeding of portioned doses of feed will be just a salvation.
This device has some more advantages:
- Possibility to give food at night or early in the morning when everyone is asleep.
- The optimal regimen is feeding in small portions every 2-3 hours.
- Recreation for an animal of a situation similar to hunting. In nature, the animal itself obtains food and subconsciously strives for this way of feeding, even if it lives next to a person.
- Ease of operation and simplicity of the mechanism eliminates the likelihood of breakage.
- The ability to combine several food options and even a drinker in one device.
- Wide range of designs to meet the needs of any animal.
The modern animal industry allows you to choose devices for every taste. The auto feeder has, perhaps, only one drawback. high. This disadvantage can be circumvented by making a do-it-yourself cat feeder. To do this, you will need to choose the type of device that is preferable, study the design, and, well, stock up on a bit of patience during the manufacturing process.
Varieties of auto feeders for cats
To make the right choice of an auto feeder, you should first of all understand what devices exist and what is their principle of operation.
These are the most widely used mechanical feeders without dispensers, timers and other complex devices. Their undoubted advantage is their rather low cost, simplicity of design, efficient operation without breakdowns, simple, well-washable material. They are not suitable for all pets. For example, the models produced by Triol are designed for dry mixes only and fill the bowls the very moment the pets empty them. This is not the best option for cats prone to overeating.
For a moderately eating animal, such an auto feeder is suitable. And it will be necessary if the owner is often delayed at work or leaves on business trips. At the same time, the food does not erode, since it is in a closed container, and only a limited portion of it gets into the bowl. They are cheap, within 500 rubles.
Every year such auto feeders are becoming more and more popular, although their price is quite high.
The owner of the cat can “give” his pet a portion of food, even being hundreds of kilometers away from the cat. Or you can set up a special program that will fill the cat’s bowl with food at strictly designated hours. Thus, having a laptop or smartphone at hand, you can not worry that the cat will remain hungry.
Today, the leader among devices of this class is Petnet, which produces Smart Feeder models. Such auto feeders cost from 10 thousand rubles.
What is an auto feeder
An automatic feeder is a device that will automatically pour food into a cat’s bowl. The most important part of the design is the tank, where a lot of feed must be poured in advance. A pipe is attached to this tank. The food will flow through the pipe directly into the bowl.
The auto feeder will allow the cat to eat at any time
Some models of industrial production have a built-in timer: you can set the feeding time on it, and then the food will enter the bowl at the right time. This is useful for those pets that are recommended to be fed by the hour.
- simple mechanical;
- with several compartments for dry and wet feed, for water;
- with a dispenser;
- with a timer;
- with remote control;
DIY cat feeder is a great gift for your beloved pet.
Thanks to the dispenser the cat will not overeat
Simple auto feeder made of plastic bottles
The simplest model can be made from ordinary plastic bottles.
- plastic eggplants (bottles) with a volume of 5 liters. 2 pcs.;
- stationery knife;
- lace or string.
- Cut off the bottom of one of the bottles.
- Cut a spatula or scoop out of the bottom.
- Cut 2 holes in the second can. Their size should be equal to the height of the scapula-bowl.
- Insert a spatula into the hole inside the bottle.
- Fasten the structure with glue or rope.
- Add dry food.
This design is only suitable for feeding dry food.
- food container;
- plastic bottle;
- stationery clip and paper clips;
- ball or small toy;
- stationery knife;
- Cut the bottle so that its length is equal to the height of the container.
- Make a hole at the bottom of the container to insert the neck of the bottle.
- Make 2 small holes in the lid.
- Connect all parts.
- Tie an elastic band to a ball or toy, stretch it through the bottle and fasten it to the holes in the lid.
Pour in feed and secure the structure at a low height. Put a bowl at the bottom. The cat will touch the ball or toy, then the neck will open and the food will be poured into the bowl.
Important! A kitten will like such a feeder.
Auto feeder from watches
The original design for feeding can be made from old watches.
- quartz wall clock;
- a bowl with compartments. 1 compartment in the middle and 4 along the edges;
- wide iron or plastic can;
- board or block of wood;
- a thin sheet of plastic or plywood;
- clay (environmentally friendly);
- rubber suction cups;
- scissors for metal cutting;
- nails. 2-3 pcs.;
- small battery in working order;
- flexible copper wire;
- felt-tip pen.
All raw materials must be environmentally friendly, free of harmful substances.
- Remove the mechanism from the watch.
- Cut off the bottom from a wide metal or plastic can. The height of the sides should be about 3-4 cm.First, you need to mark the line with a felt-tip pen, and then cut the metal with scissors or nippers.
- File the sharp edges of the cut bottom to prevent injury. If the can is plastic, the edges can be made even by melting them with a lighter.
- Cut a small cube out of wood and insert it into your watch. This cube should be positioned in such a way that the clock hands rise above the jar.
Now you need to prepare the actual feeder. To do this, you need a bowl with compartments. It can be made from clay, then wait until it hardens, and then fired in an oven for 2-3 hours at a temperature of 200 ° C.
Important! The bowl must fit in the jar.
How to connect all the parts to make a feeder:
- Fold the hour hand in half and fasten it to the mechanism located inside the wooden cube with tape.
- Insert the battery into the mechanism. And wire the mechanism in the center compartment of the bowl.
- Cut a circle out of plywood or plastic. This is the feeder cover. In the center of the circle, make several holes for the screw holding the arrows. Cut a hole on one side of the circle, equal in size to one compartment of the bowl.
- Drive 2 nails into the cover. The distance between them should be equal to the length of the arrow bent in half. Cut off sharp ends from nails.
- Cut another cover out of the plywood. Remove the mount holding the seconds hand from the watch and attach it to the underside of the plywood cover. Insert the second hand into this mount, cut it evenly and seal it with tape.
- Connect the feeder and lid. Attach rubber suction cups to the bottom so that the structure does not slide on the floor.
You can decorate the feeder. Pour food into it and offer to the cat.
A wide variety of automatic animal feeders can be found on sale. Many devices are equipped with a dispenser, timer, dispenser and even an audible signal. The best are:
- Catit Senses;
- Smart HD Pet Feeder PF03;
- Stefanplast Break Reserve;
- Feed-Ex PF100;
- Petwant PF-102 White;
- SITITEK Pets Ice Mini;
- 4SITITEK Pets Pro Plus;
- SITITEK Pets Tower-5;
- Ferplast Cometa Bowl;
- Petwant PF-105;
- Beeztees Cat Mate C3000;
- Cat Mate C50;
Tools and materials
To make an auto feeder for cats with your own hands, you will need the following tools and materials at hand:
- plastic bottles;
- food containers;
- scissors for metal cutting;
- stationery: knife, paper clips, elastic band, clips, scissors;
- electronics (for feeder with dispenser).
How to make a cat feeder out of plastic pipes with your own hands
An excellent feeder with a large supply of food will be obtained from funnel or plastic pipes.
- straight plastic or fan pipe 1 meter long;
- board 1 m long;
- mount. 2 pcs.;
- corner 90 °. 1 pc.;
- corner 45 °. 2 pcs.;
- cover. 1 piece.
- Assemble the 45 ° and 90 ° corners, attach them to the lower end of the pipe.
- Attach the second 45 ° elbow to the upper end of the pipe and cover it with a lid.
- Attach fasteners to a wooden board and insert a pipe into them.
- Sand the edges of the bottom corner 45 ° with emery paper to make them smooth, otherwise the cat may get hurt.
- The pipe is attached to the wall. It is necessary that the pipe is covered by a canopy.
- Cat food is poured through the top hole in the pipe.
A very convenient device is obtained from pipes.
Benefits of auto feeders for cats
- Suitable for cats on a diet such as split meals.
- Food does not get dust, dirt, excess moisture.
- Food won’t dry out.
- The design with 2–3 compartments allows not only pre-filling food, but also pouring drinking water.
- You can put a lot of food in the feeder so that the cat can eat it for 2-5 days.
- There are feeders that allow you to fill in a large amount of feed, which is enough for 90 days.
Auto feeders with a large supply of feed will help when the owner needs to leave for a few days. In such cases, you need to choose a model with a built-in drinker so that the pet always has fresh water.
Important! The auto feeder is convenient if the owner does not like to get up early to feed the cat.
Such a device is useful in a house where several cats live: all pets can eat whenever they want, and there is enough food for everyone.
Tray structures are also easy to manufacture and are designed for both dry feed and mash. Due to their shape, they are easy to use, clean from dirt and feed residues, and disinfect. To create a tray structure, you first need to draw up a sketch of the future product. The tray should have high sides: this is necessary so that ducks do not climb inside the container and do not trample on food.
You will need the following tools and materials:
- wooden boards up to 2 cm thick;
- wooden lath 1 m long;
- self-tapping screws or screws;
- emery cloth.
Then we make a tray feeder according to the following instructions, observing the parameters indicated in the photo:
- Measure the desired length of the board and cut the sides.
- Cut out the bottom of the feeder.
- Saw out the 6-sided sides.
- Sand all the blanks.
- Attach the sides to the bottom of the tray using self-tapping screws.
- Insert the sides of the tray from both ends and screw to the bottom and sides with self-tapping screws.
- Attach a wooden strip on both tops of the sidewalls. It is needed for the convenience of transporting the tray, as well as to prevent birds from getting inside.
This type of feeder consists of 2 parts: a receiver and a tray. The hopper structure is designed to gradually supply fresh, dry compound feed as it is eaten, and also protects the feed itself from dirt and dust. Below we will tell you how to make a bunker feeder from sheet material.
- First you need to make a design drawing on paper with the necessary measurements and prepare patterns. The diagram shows the approximate dimensions of the structure, but you yourself can adjust the dimensions of your feeder to the number of individuals in your farm.
- This feeder is made from two identical sidewalls, the front and rear walls of the bunker, as well as a lid attached with hinges. The bottom of the sides and back will form the bottom feeding box (tray).
- Then cut out the sides and bottom. When calculating the parameters, it is important to take into account that one duck will need 7–8 cm of the width of the tray, so the number of individuals is multiplied by this value. The result will be the bunker tank shown in the photo.
To make a bunker feeder, you will need the following materials:
- thick plywood or chipboard 2 cm thick;
- reinforcing wooden slats;
- hacksaw (jigsaw);
- screwdriver (drill);
- self-tapping screws for wooden products;
- fine-grained skin;
- tape measure or ruler;
- small furniture hinges (90 degrees).
Instructions for making a bunker feeder: Drawing of a bunker feeder
- Draw all the details of the patterns on sheet material.
- Cut out the drawn fragments with a jigsaw.
- Sand the edges of the fragments with sandpaper.
- Use a screwdriver to make grooves for self-tapping screws.
- Install the reinforcement rails at the connecting joints and tighten the entire structure with self-tapping screws.
- Attach the box cover to the structure using furniture hinges.
The tank for feeding the ducks with dry food is an automatic feeder, which belongs to the bunker type products. In this case, it is an inverted container with feed and feed openings, installed on a pallet. With this design, as it is eaten, the food is gradually poured out of the container onto the pallet. You can make an auto feeder from a plastic bucket without spending much effort and without drawing up a preliminary drawing.
To make an automatic feed container you will need:
Description of making an auto feeder:
- Mark the buckets at the bottom with a tape measure, a pencil and a compass for semicircular holes with a radius of 5 cm, and then cut them out. The number of holes can be arbitrary, but when using a tray with dividers, the number of holes must match the number of sections on the tray.
- Sand the edges of the cuts with fine-grained sandpaper, so as not to get hurt during further work, and also so as not to injure the ducks during feeding.
- Drill several holes in the bottom of the plastic bucket, as well as the bowl, so that they match with each other.
- Using screws and nuts, screw the plastic container to the bowl.
- Pour feed into the container and close it tightly with a lid.
What should be the feeder
When starting to make a feeder, it is important to consider the mandatory requirements for a homemade design. Here are some guidelines to help you:
- The design of the feeder should be convenient for poultry so that it can be easily filled with feed, as well as easy to transport and clean from fodder residues and dirt.
- If the feeder is made of wood, then it is necessary to use high-quality wood for this.
- It is important to pay attention to the careful handling of materials and the safety of the structure for both birds and the breeder: the feeder should not have sharp edges and burrs to avoid injuries and cuts.
- For birds of different ages, appropriate dimensions of the feeders are required: for chicks up to 1 month old, a 5 cm approach to the feed is left; up to 12 months old. up to 10-12 cm; adult bird. 20 cm.
- The material for the manufacture of structures must be durable and resistant to decay (wood, metal, plastic).
HOW TO BUILD A SMART ARDUINO CAT FEEDER
How to make ducks feeders correctly
There are containers for dry and wet feed, including bunker, automatic and tray. over, if the feeder is made of metal or plastic, then it can be universal.
How to make a variety of do-it-yourself duck feeders
Making different feeders for ducks with your own hands is a task that is feasible even for novice poultry breeders. The advantage of these products over purchased ones is that they are adapted specifically for their own economy, taking into account the number of individuals in the domestic ducklings. In the article we will tell you how to properly make various devices for feeding birds, as well as give some advice from experienced farmers for their manufacture and operation.
Features of making a do-it-yourself feeder: tips from farmers
When making your own containers for feeding ducks, advice from experienced farmers who already have this experience will not interfere. Here are some simple guidelines for some of them:
- Yuri. In the early days of my farming business, I used inexpensive industrial plastic containers to feed the ducks. But it turned out that this material is short-lived due to the effects of temperature changes. Therefore, I would advise you to use products from well-established manufacturers or make them yourself. over, making the feeders with your own hands is not difficult and costly: a pipe for the sewer is taken, several wide holes are cut out in it, plugs are installed at both ends of the pipe, and the feeder pipe is attached to the supports.
- Nikolay. The ability to make feeders with your own hands will be very useful on the farm. I prefer metal bunker feeders with a simple design: a folded metal sheet in the form of a paper boat. The main thing is to calculate everything correctly, otherwise even small discrepancies in the calculations will make the product leaky.
- Anatoly. I would like to draw your attention to an important nuance in the manufacture of drinkers or feeders. the reliable fastening of the structure to the support. I had an incident in my neighborhood: a huge drinking bowl in the form of a pipe was poorly fixed and, under the weight of the water, fell on the birds, which I had to immediately slaughter afterwards. It is important to remember that ducks are active birds, and when there are many of them on the farm, they collectively can turn over any containers. Therefore, I advise you to attach the feeders and drinkers to the supports tightly.
AUTOMATIC FEEDER FOR PET BIRDS WITH YOUR OWN HANDS, you can conclude that making feeders for ducks with your own hands is an easy task, especially since it does not require large material costs. This option is very suitable for poultry breeders and farmers of small farms, because these products can be tailored specifically to their conditions and the number of poultry.
DIY plastic hopper feeders
Auto feeders made of plastic materials are easy to make yourself with the help of improvised means. This work is not time consuming and will not take much time.
Wood or plywood
PVC pipe with tee
Although in appearance the design does not look very aesthetic, it stands out for its convenience and belongs to the budget options.
Blanks for work on creating a feeder:
- 3 pipes, the diameter of which will be the same. 110 mm, and the length of each is different. 70, 20 and 10 cm;
- tee with an angle of 45˚;
- fastening devices that ensure reliable fixing of the pipe to the wall;
Stages of making an auto feeder from pipes:
- The main pipe must be attached to the wall and a three-branch sleeve must be put on.
- Make 3-4 holes in the established branches for feeding. Side openings can be left open or closed to prevent food scattering.
There must be a plug on the pipe into which grain or feed chopped mixture will be poured to prevent the ingress of debris. The design of an auto-feeder made of PVC pipe with a tee belongs to bunker installations, so grain is poured into it no more than twice a week.
The difference between this feeder and the previous one is that the chicken gets access to the feed after stepping on the pedal. If you treat the outer part of the feeder with a waterproof solution, then it can be easily installed in an open space, without fear of the influence of moisture.
For an auto feeder with a pedal, you need to have the following materials:
- boards or plywood;
- thin bars of wood;
- electric drill with attachments;
- pencil for sketching;
- tape measure.
- Initially, templates are made: tray cover, side walls, bottom, back panel (inclined arrangement), front wall, top cover and pedal. Sizes depend on the need and number of chickens, as well as the planned amount of feed.
- The bars are sawn into 6 pieces. The longest ones are needed to fix the pedal and the container into which the feed is dropped. Medium-sized sticks will be needed for the lid, which will be located above the tray. The short ones will connect the elements of the lifting mechanism.
- All elements must be cut with a saw and sandpaper.
- The walls are tightened with screws. The rear panel should be set at a 15 ° angle to prevent feed residues from getting stuck in the feed hopper.
- The top cover is secured with hinges.
- Medium planks are installed on the sides of the tray cover. Gaps should be made at one end in the bars. The hole closer to the edge should be larger than the bolt. By the same principle, holes are made in the side walls of the container. Bolts that are screwed in should move easily.
- By the same type, the longest bar is attached to the pedal. The hole connecting the bar to the wall is made one-fifth of the bar’s length. It is important to remember about the hole at the end of the bar.
- The smallest pieces are attached to the holes that remain. Installing them must be solid and rigid, otherwise the pedal will be non-functional. After assembly, make sure the lid rises.
- At the final stage, the feeder should be treated with an antiseptic.
- Feeder without automatic devices
- Bulky but long-term automatic feeder
- An intermediate option for those who know a little about programming
From pipes with knees
This type of design is considered the most practical among poultry farmers. The only drawback is that such feeders are inconvenient to clean. Here you have to be smart, since it is very inconvenient to constantly dismantle it.
- pipe with a diameter of 110 mm and a length of 1.5 m;
- 2 knees: the first. at an angle of 45 °, the second. 90 °;
- The assembly of the structure at the first stage is carried out as follows: a pipe is taken and an elbow is first attached to it at an angle of 45 °, and then. 90 °.
- The finished feeder is attached to the wall with a convenient method.
- The feed is filled in with a can or similar small container, after which the filling hole is closed with a lid or plug.