Advantages and disadvantages
Among the minuses, we can only note that it will take some time to create. However, it can be turned into a plus. After all, you can involve children in work by spending a pleasant family evening with them making a bed for a pet.
By the way, pet owners know that their pets love to sleep on the owner’s clothes. The fact is that four-legged friends, in the absence of the owner, experience melancholy and boredom. Clothes that have fallen to the floor smells like their loved one, so dogs and cats love to relax on the owner’s things. In this regard, a homemade bed made from the owner’s old clothes will appeal to the dog much more than a purchased copy.
Another plus in favor of any bed is keeping the wool in one place. A dog that has no place of its own can lie down in the bedroom in the morning, in the hallway in the afternoon, and in the kitchen in the evening. Accordingly, for the whole day, the whole apartment will be filled with dog hair.
If the animal rests in only one place, then the owner will have to clean one bed of wool, and not run around the house with a vacuum cleaner.
How to make a do-it-yourself dog bed?
It is generally accepted that every cat needs its own soft and comfortable bed. Dogs have plenty of room on the mat. But this is not entirely true of man’s best friends. Own place is an important psychological factor in the attachment of the animal to the house, and, of course, most breeds would prefer to rest in a soft cozy couch than on a thin door rug.
Instructions for making a wooden couch
For large dogs, it is impractical to make a soft bed, since under the large weight of the animal, the structure crumples and quickly becomes unusable. For a dog bed to last longer, it is recommended that it be made of wood. This option is perfect for both a domestic dog and an outdoor dog. A rigid wooden frame will allow a large animal to comfortably accommodate. Follow these steps to create a cozy dog resting place.
- Prepare boards of the correct size. To do this, you can take old pallets, disassemble them into parts, sand them well and cut them into boards of suitable parameters.
- Sand the workpieces so that the dog does not get hurt by burrs.
- There should be four blanks in total: the bottom and sides on three sides. skillful craftsmen can surround all four sides with bumpers by making an entrance in one of the walls.
- Do not use nails for fastening, but self-tapping screws, as nails can injure the dog. Drill holes in the material, deepen the heads of the self-tapping screws as much as possible so that the pet does not cling to them.
- To strengthen the strength of the structure during assembly, use metal corners.
The simplest wood dog bed is ready. For convenience, you can attach a cabinet next to it, in which toys for the dog will be stored. And also some craftsmen adapt the bed to wheels. so it can be moved around the apartment during rearrangement.
Do not forget to cover the bed with a blanket on top to create a cozy atmosphere.
If you have experience with wood, then you can try to make a two-story structure for several dogs. In this case, a wooden staircase will lead to the second level. You can make a similar structure for one dog, but place, for example, bowls for food and water on the ground floor. Then the building will look like a whole dog’s corner.
If the size of the dog allows, then when creating a wooden couch, you can limit yourself to a simple wooden box turned over to the bottom. Another option is to make the bed from solid wooden pallets. In this case, four pallets are required: one base and three sides. The shape of the pallets visually resembles a classic children’s bed, which looks very aesthetically pleasing. You can paint all the material in your favorite color, and varnish it on top.
What materials at hand can be made?
When choosing material for making a dog bed, heed the recommendations of experts.
- It should be a fabric that is comfortable for the dog. Especially careful selection of material is required for short-haired breeds. The pile should not cause irritation, the canvas should not be squeaky. Consider options that are resistant to abrasion, clawing and brushing.
- For smooth-haired breeds, it is recommended to choose materials that store and retain heat. These include flock, velor, plush, felt, velveteen. Faux fur can be made for dogs that sleep warm, but this material should be avoided if the bed is made for pets with allergies.
- For long-haired dogs, beds made of smooth but dense material, such as linen, jeans, tapestry, are suitable.
- Comfortable, warm and soft padding will be made of foam rubber, padding polyester, batting, holofiber. Do not use fluff or straw as they can harbor bacteria and insects.
- Try not to use synthetic fabrics, they build up static electricity and can scare your pet. In addition, this material can provoke allergies in the animal.
There are many options, you just have to show your imagination.
In addition to the above materials, in the manufacture of a homemade couch, you will need other means: threads, scissors, paper for patterns. All this is in every home, and paper can be replaced with an ordinary newspaper. Before drawing up a project and choosing a material, it is worthwhile to study the varieties of dog loungers.
- Pillow. Suitable for both large and small dogs. It is carried out quickly, just stuffed with foam rubber or padding polyester. Doesn’t take up much space, you can just put it in the dog’s basket.
- A sunbed with a side. It is a bed with “walls”. Sometimes it can be made from the above cushion, embedded in a base with sides. Plywood or corrugated board is used as a base.
- House. Usually created for small breed dogs. Time-consuming to manufacture. Sewing can be done by grasping the base, for example, a box. For warmth, you can lay out sheepskin or faux fur inside.
- Wooden bed. This variant is made for guard dogs of large breeds. A wooden lounger is often installed on the street next to the booth or directly in the aviary. A more complex variety. For manufacturing, you will need wood, self-tapping screws, a screwdriver and other tools.
We suggest trying to make one of three options for home dog beds. simple, complicated and complex. To create the most ordinary sunbed, you need an old knitted sweater. There are several steps to follow.
- Stitch horizontally from one armpit to the other. You should get two parts, among which the lower one will become the bottom, and the sleeves and the chest area will become bumpers.
- Stuff the bottom with the materials suggested above, or use an old pillow that matches the size. Sew the resulting “bag” tightly with threads or pull off with a string.
- Sew the sleeves to each other in such a way that they form the so-called pipe, which also needs to be filled with filler through the collar. The more elastic the sides are, the more durable and comfortable the product will be for the dog.
- Sew the neckline and fasten the sides obtained from the sleeves around the perimeter of the lounger.
It will take about half an hour to make such a bed, and even a child can cope with this task.
Making A Large Dog Bed
A pet will definitely appreciate a homemade bed.
A slightly sophisticated model can be made from old jeans. Step-by-step instructions for creating a denim bed:
- cut old jeans into 12 identical rectangles 24 cm high;
- attach the strips to each other with the front sides and sew their edges, iron the seams;
- from the sewn flaps, one strip with a length of about 150 cm should be obtained;
- sew the ends of the strip into a ring;
- cut out a circle with a radius of 24 cm from jeans. if the length is not enough, then you can create the missing parts using the applique;
- lay a layer of padding polyester and an old towel in the bottom area, sew two circles with the filler hidden inside;
- bend the side in half and sew to the bottom, and when about 10 cm remains to be sewn, fill the side with padding polyester, you can use a stick or wire for stuffing;
- sew up the remaining hole, if there are unused ends, cut them off, or sew into the sides.
This option can be used from two different sides. with or without bumpers. Depending on the size of the dog, the parameters of the bed may vary. This option is made for miniature breeds.
A more complex model for resting a dog is a house. It will take a little more time and materials. To create a house, follow these steps:
- pick up fabric for upholstery, fold it in half, draw a pattern in a size that is comfortable for the dog;
- cut out all parts with seam allowances;
- cut out the same parts from a dense sheet of foam rubber, but less by a couple of centimeters than the fabric elements;
- sheathe all foam parts with fabric cutouts, fasten them securely.
The house is ready, but for convenience, you can put a pillow or blanket inside. Alternatively, one of the sides can be zipped.
In this case, in the house it will be possible to easily clean up or get out of there things that the dog hid in his den.
When making a dog bed, use additional recommendations.
- Any pillows and stuffed materials should be fluffed at least 2 times a year. It is necessary to regularly clean the casing from debris and wool. To do this, you can use, for example, a vacuum cleaner or a roller for cleaning wool, it is sold at an economical price in the economic department.
- When choosing a sewing fabric, give preference to materials with a small print. The fact is that the white canvas gets dirty quickly, it will have to be washed often, and wool is clearly visible on a black background. Bright fabric with fine details does not need to be vacuumed as often.
- For convenience, you can initially choose a covering made of materials that repel wool and water. An even simpler option is to make the entire structure in a case. Then you just have to take out the pillow from the cover, clean the cover from wool and wash it in a typewriter.
- When decorating a homemade stove bench, give up the use of beads, beads, bows and other decorations. Not only can a dog cling to such a detail and injure a paw, but also active individuals will not mind gnawing such a peculiar toy or swallowing it.
- When making a soft bed, use strong threads and reliable fittings. Many dogs, especially at a young age, love to gnaw, tear, taste everything, so a poorly stitched design will quickly become unusable. For the same purpose, try to choose a strong, wear-resistant material for cladding.
- Measure the dog several times before making it, and also think about where you can put the dog’s bed in advance. Perhaps, tenants of small-sized apartments should completely abandon the dog’s bed, so as not to force space. In such cases, you can put sun loungers and houses on the balcony, but this option is only suitable for the warm season.
- The type of bed is selected taking into account the breed of the dog. If this is a miniature eternally trembling dog, experiencing constant cold, then it will be glad to have a bed with high sides, behind which it can hide from the dangers of the world around it, and a thick mattress laid inside for heating. Active dogs, participants in any household chores, will prefer a bed with low sides that will not restrict their view.
If this is a dog with warm long hair, then he will refuse to sleep in a fur bed, a light construction made of smooth material will suit him.
Useful expert advice
- Round beds for large dogs are equipped with bumpers assembled from individual pads, fastened to the top with a regular elastic band.
- It is better to sew a side for an oval bed as a separate product, and then attach it to the base.
- It is also advisable to sew a cover to the lounger.
- Products filled with sheepskin are cleaned with snow once a year.
DIY pattern of a round bed for a dog
The pattern of a round lounger is calculated strictly individually, based on the size of the pet. It should be noted that for large breeds this is a costly and laborious event:
- We calculate the diameter of the circle or the size of the oval so that the dog can sit freely, curled up.
- We draw the second line, stepping back 25-30 cm for the board.
- We transfer the pattern to the material. Cut out by folding the material with the pattern 4 times. We straighten and cut off, leaving a small area in order to fill with filler.
- For large dogs, the base is best quilted.
The photo shows a pattern of a round lounger for small breeds. But by analogy, you can create a pattern even for a giant.
The main technological points when sewing a lounger. materials, sizes, shape
When creating a bed for a large dog, you need to know only two parameters. the height of the pet at the withers and the length of its body, excluding the tail, who has it. It is not recommended to tinker the bench “by eye”. It’s better to do it once and not redo it.
Each owner chooses the shape of the product individually. It depends on the dog’s sleeping habits. Which of the pets sleeps in a ring. gets a round or oval lounger. For those who like to stretch out on the floor to their full height. a rectangular sleeping place. This is where the growth of the dog at the withers is needed, since there is a possibility of paws freely spread out on the floor, about which you can accidentally stumble.
It is better to choose a material for a dog’s place that is dense and non-marking. The photo shows a sectional view of what the dog bed consists of. Wooden frame, lined with foam rubber or padding polyester and covered with dense fabric:
It is very important to correctly calculate the amount of material for the cushion and sides, taking into account the fold on the seams.
- Paper, preferably old paper wallpaper. A pattern is made of them.
- The cloth. The choice depends on the owner’s instinct, but the main thing is that it should be lint-free. Even jeans or raincoat fabric will do.
- Filler. Variations here can be very different, including hay, bird feather or down, sheep wool, filfiber or siliconized balls.
Dog bed: how to do it yourself
Based on the worldview of Sharik from Bulgakov’s “Heart of a Dog”. a collar for a dog, like a briefcase for a minister. And what can we say about the dog bed! Place is a very important psychological factor in tying a pet to home.
It should be noted right away that not all breeds favor floor rugs. For example, Newfoundlands would rather prefer the coolness of the tiles than the insulated corner of the house. But large dogs are very fond of sofas and voluminous armchairs. Therefore, if there is an opportunity to install an old sofa in the apartment, then it will become the most favorite lounger for Newf, St. Bernard, Leonberger or Dog.
How to sew a do-it-yourself dog bed
- First, you need to accurately align the parameters of the dog.
- We transfer the size of the pet to paper and make a pattern for the base of the lounger.
- We put the pattern on the material and add 2.5 cm of seam allowance on each side.
- If foam rubber is used as a base, seam allowances are not made, but cut out in accordance with the pattern.
- If the shape of the lounger is rectangular, the corners must be left free when sewing in order to maintain the volume of the mattress.
- The pattern of the board is made in accordance with the base of the bed. The sides can be made separately and attached to the base with Velcro, buttons or hidden garters.
Benefits of a homemade sunbed
Despite the fact that modern industry produces a wide variety of sunbeds in a huge assortment, the choice is not large enough for large dogs and giant dogs. Therefore, for the best friend, the resting place can be assembled with your own hand. After all, no one knows the habits and characteristics of the dog better than the owner. How he prefers to sleep. curled up or stretched out to his full height. Whether the dog prefers soft featherbeds or does he prefer a firm, even rigid base.
Another aspect is the presence of the sides of the sunbed. When installed directly to the wall, the side of the sunbed is necessary so that the pet does not stain the wallpaper after a walk in bad weather. No matter how you wipe your pet’s fur, a dog that is wet after a walk in the rain still does not dry out completely and may leave dirty stains on the surface of the walls. Well, if, of course, the long-haired giants are not dried with a compressor, then the cleanliness of the walls is ensured.
Types of sun beds for dogs photo
The shape of the bed can be different. The configuration of the place depends, first of all, on the location in the room. square, oval, rectangular or pentagon-shaped. Large dog beds are usually rectangular in shape. Often, owners make a dog seat from a children’s mattress. This is the perfect base for a dog bed. It remains only to create a side for him to fence off from the wall.
Typical use of a children’s mattress as a base:
And here’s how you can get a cozy place for two from the same children’s mattress:
A more complex option using the owner’s skill in working with wood is a real pet sofa with the same children’s mattress at the base:
Often, loungers are created using padding polyester or foam rubber at the base of the place. Oval lounger made of dense fabric with padding polyester insides:
The photo shows the moment of assembling a round lounger with a foam base and foam rubber sides for a small dog. But according to the same principle, you can create a lounger for a large dog, only much more material will be needed:
On this resource, we are talking only about dogs. their life, health problems, proper nutrition and living conditions next to the owner adored with all our heart. It is here that you can get valuable information about how a dog is trained, which, no doubt, will help you to orient yourself correctly at the time of the pet’s growing up. An equally interesting aspect in raising a dog will be information on how to modernize the living conditions of your pet, and what innovations can be brought to its habitat.
With these and other questions, you can contact our dog handlers-consultants who constantly participate in the dialogues of owners of dogs of all breeds. They will tell you how to train a dog to toilet on the street, how long it will take to walk a particular breed, and what you need to do first if you get a dog that is difficult to socialize.
Where to get patterns for making a lounger?
Suppose you do not mind tinkering with a needle and thread, but do not know where to get patterns for making a lounger. There are several options:
- Download drawings online and adapt dimensions.
- Buy patterns at handicraft marketplaces.
- Make it yourself.
The third option is the most difficult, because if you do not have experience in drawing up patterns, it takes you a lot of time to bring the project to mind. First, determine what shape and size of the lounger you need. For making patterns, you can use special thin paper or oilcloth.
In order not to spoil the fabric for the pattern, “estimate” the reduced version of the pattern on a leaf in a cage. The entire pattern begins with the central part, for example, if you are making a pattern for a mattress, the part on which the dog sleeps is drawn first. Bumpers are added on four sides, designed for mattress padding.
When you add the bumpers, the pattern will look like a cross. The bottom of the mattress is added to one side. To the resulting drawing is added 1.5-2 centimeters of allowances for processing and sewing fabrics.
If you have a large piece of fabric that you do not mind, the pattern can be carried as a whole. If there is little fabric, the pattern is divided into key parts that will be stitched. The fewer seams in the finished product, the longer it will last.
One side of the mattress is not sewn up if the cover is removable. To prevent the filler from knocking out of the mattress, fasten the free side with buttons, buttons, zippers or hooks.
Choose those accessories that you know how to handle and can fasten. It is undesirable to use pins as accessories for fastening, even safe ones. Safety pins are suitable for securing remaining folds in fabrics (undercuts) or for attaching jewelry.
Using the same scheme, you can make a bed for a dog of a slightly different type. With folding sides with ties or zippers, it will also be transformable, and sewn tightly. permanent home. Of course, in this case it will also be possible to put it on the frame for a large dog.
Patterns of simple soft beds for medium-sized dogs are given in Fig. Left. “for growth”, with an entrance for a puppy; on the right. for an adult dog. Dimensions are for continuous foam padding; textile parts must be given a processing allowance of 2-3 cm.
Patterns of simple soft dog beds
- On the sides of the parts mating in the product that are opposite to the fold lines, the allowance is doubled;
- Modules (pillow, sidewalls) are stitched from the inside out, while leaving armholes for the padding;
- The mating sides of the modules are stitched with a double seam to further form a wing with a width of 2-3 cm, free from stuffing;
- Sewn modules are turned inside out on the face through the armholes;
- The wings of the sidewalls and pillows are folded on the inside (where the dog will be) and are sewn with the front seam;
- The padding is placed in the sewn modules through the armholes;
- The armholes are sewn up with a front seam;
- The sides are sewn together according to clause 5.
This is also not the only possible sewing method. You can sew a soft bed for a dog as shown in the plot
Do-it-yourself dog bed: what you need and where to start
What is required and where to start if you decide to make a do-it-yourself dog bed? First of all, you need to think over all the nuances so that your work is not in vain.
- A place where your dog can warm up and calm down.
- A place where your puppy can hide food.
- A place where the dog can hide toys or things that it considers to be his own.
- A breeding ground for parasites and bacteria.
Important! The dog’s resting place should not harm it. For the manufacture of the lounger and the cover, it is necessary to use fabrics that do not accumulate static stress and do not irritate the skin. The best choices are cotton, satin and linen.
To prevent the pet from cluttering the bed with its toys and other trophies, it is better to place a special basket (box) next to it. By regularly putting toys in the basket, you let your dog know that they are always available. Over time, the four-legged will understand that the toys that are in the basket are safe and will stop hiding them under the mattress of the lounger.
Most likely, you will not be able to “convince” your dog not to hide food on the bed or under the mattress. If your pet is too fat, the cover can become dirty, which will contribute to the rapid growth of bacteria. In addition, returning from a walk, the pet can bring fleas, which will gladly arrange nests in the folds of tissue. You can prevent many health problems of your pet by making a removable cover that can be washed and ironed.
Loungers with a house
A dog house is not at all the same as a dog house. Just a house. it is for play or serious business, for example, for a puppy bitch with a brood. And a bed with a house is needed for a dog in other very specific cases.
A dog of northern origin, either sled or shepherd, needs a sturdy home kennel, on the left in fig. Her closest ancestors (possibly her parents) lived in monstrous conditions: they were fed from hand to mouth, they had to spend the night in the snow at –40 and below. Their owners beat them to death for the slightest offense; the sick or exhausted were thrown to the mercy of fate, in the tundra it was very evil and short-lived. The owners themselves could have eaten. Amundsen’s expedition to Antarctica only because it reached the South Pole and returned back in full force and good health, that on the way it threw the sledges freed from their luggage, and the sled dogs freed from them. ate! At that time, this caused the strongest indignation in the world, but among the Norwegians-polar explorers only surprise: how so? What’s wrong with that? These are dogs! They are not only draft, but also food.!
Note: Northern peoples do not eat hunting dogs. Training a hunting dog is a long hard work that requires a lot of experience, and a hunting dog is too valuable.
The puppy also needs a bed with a shelter house (in the center in the figure) or a cradle bed, see below. For similar reasons: it is still small. If you don’t like it, they can throw it out or give it to someone bad. And they made the house. that’s it, it got accustomed! You can sleep well.
The miniature adult lapdog has taken root quite well and knows that she is loved. But she is too small, they can accidentally step on the sleeping person. Therefore, she also needs a house above the bed, but not soft sewn, like a puppy, but stronger (on the right in the figure), so that if something happens, she can have time to wake up and jump out. Sensitivity in sleep and reaction in all dogs is quite wild, the same instinct of self-preservation works.
The advantages of a do-it-yourself bed
This is important for proper socialization, prevention of inflammatory diseases of the joints and just for the comfort of the pet.
Homemade beds have a number of advantages:
- ideal sizes for the size of the dog;
- significant savings;
- the ability to choose a material whose color is suitable for the interior of the house;
- the choice of the shape of the bed for the room;
- the ability to choose the texture of the material based on the characteristics of the pet: coat length, tendency to allergies, thermophilicity.
When choosing a berth, they are not limited only by the size of the dog, it is important to consider the posture during sleep or rest. Regardless of the breed, a pet (Labrador, Husky, Boxer, etc.) may prefer a soft or hard base. All this can be taken into account when making a homemade couch.
Sewing and stuffing
To make the sleeping place more neat, for a start it is better to work with a needle. sew the details with large and straight stitches.
- bottom details are sewn around the perimeter from three sides;
- on the remaining side, fill with packing, sew;
- stitching and stuffing the sides;
- at the corners to fix the sides to the base, zippers or ties from laces, braids or pieces of used material are sewn.
The result is a bed with falling bumpers. The clasps pull and raise the sides vertically. In the heat, you can lower them and get a spacious and comfortable mattress.
You should get such a sleeping place. Here, the master did not cut corners during cutting. This can be done if the density of the filler allows you to make a fold.
Lounger with descending sides
You can refuse fasteners and just sew all corners tightly. Then you get a place with fixed sides, like this.
The lounger should be secluded but accessible for cleaning.
Indoor decorative dogs prefer round beds, this is another feature of them besides the tendency to unfold for show. In addition, the round cushioned couch fits more comfortably in your luggage. You can whip up a round bed for a small dog out of an old sweater, see end. And it would be better to sew a permanent, decorative one, no less than an inhabitant, according to a universal pattern.
Universal pattern of a round bed for a dog and options for its use
The pattern of a round bed for a dog is given on the left in the figure, and on the right. options for products made with its use. The base size in any case is the bottom diameter. It lies in the range of 25-60 cm, depending on the breed and this particular representative of it. Determining the base size is simple: wait for yours to settle down better and fog up. Measure it along the bottom from the ends of the front legs to the sacrum, and add 5-10 cm.
How to sew
To make a bed of any size, the following materials are needed: strong thread with a needle, scissors, paper for patterns, several types of fabric, as well as foam rubber, synthetic winterizer or silicone for filler.
Consider a few of the most convenient options and tell you how to make a bed for a dog.
How to choose
The choice of model depends on many factors: coat length, size, character, individual characteristics of the breed. Therefore, getting started, first familiarize yourself with all types of dog beds, and then choose the most convenient option that is right for your pet.
- Cradle (or stage). Such a secluded shelter is more suitable for small animals who prefer silence and solitude. Usually dog cradles are equipped with removable cushions or bedding, the material of which changes according to the season.
- Scops pillow. This option is very easy to maintain, does not take up much space, and will suit almost any interior. In addition, the cushion-shaped bed can be sewn for both large and small dogs. If you wish, you can put it in a low basket.
- A sunbed with a side. The most common option. Depending on the size of the dog, you can make a small cozy nest or a whole sofa for rest.
- Cozy house. Just like cradles or stage, these designs require a lot of effort and time to create it. But it’s worth it! As a result, your pet will receive his own private apartment, where you can sleep or hide from strangers. In winter, the house can be insulated by laying a sheepskin or faux fur on the bottom.
The advantage of a homemade bed is that you yourself can choose the material and color for the bed, as well as sew it exactly to the size of the dog.
Lounger with sides
In order not to spend extra money, you can show your imagination and try to make a bed for a dog with your own hands from an old knitted sweater. An unnecessary thing will take on a new life, and your pet will certainly appreciate your efforts.
- Sew a sweater horizontally from one armpit to another, thus dividing the jacket into 2 parts: the lower one will serve as the bottom for a sleeping place, and the sleeves and chest area will become excellent bumpers.
- Fill the bottom bag with padding polyester, or just stick an old unnecessary pillow inside. Pull off the bottom of the sweater by threading a lace through it, or just carefully sew it up with strong threads.
- Sew two sleeves together to form one solid tunnel, which must be evenly filled with padding polyester. Do not feel sorry for the filler, as the sides should be elastic, firm, and not deform under the weight of the pet.
- Having filled the entire upper part with padding polyester, we sew the neck. Next, we attach the sides of the bed around the entire perimeter of the bottom.
To make the product convenient to wash from time to time, it is enough to sew 2 small zippers into the lower and upper parts of the jacket.
The next model of the crib is sewn as easily as the first one. This is a round or oval bed, the bottom of which is filled with filler. To get a beautiful do-it-yourself dog bed, carefully consider the patterns.
- Take a large piece of fabric and fold it in half with the back side up.
- Measure the dog, and based on the measurements taken, draw a circle on the fabric with chalk or soap (so that you can clean it).
- Having stepped back 25-30 cm, draw another circle around for future sides.
- Measure another 2-3 cm on the fabric, and draw another circle to tighten the sides.
- Cut the product with scissors, leaving a couple of centimeters for allowances.
- Sew the smallest circle, leaving a little space to fill. Fill the bottom of the crib with padding polyester tightly, and sew up the hole through which the product was filled.
- Sew the second circle, and, like the previous one, fill it with filler.
- On the third circle, you also need to lay a seam, leaving an unstitched section, and then carefully stretch a long lace, tape or rope through the entire perimeter of the circle.
- Pull and tie the lace to place the collars in an upright position.
Such a lounger is also convenient because, if necessary, the lace can be easily untied and the sleeping place can be turned into a practical mattress.
Even a novice needlewoman can sew such a model of a bed. For sewing, you don’t even need to cut out a separate pattern. it is enough to outline the length and width of the future pillow under the ruler. The main thing is to choose the right size and fabric.
For smooth-haired breeds, a fleecy material is suitable so that the pet does not freeze on cold evenings, but shaggy dogs will be more delighted with a pillow made of thick cotton, jeans or linen.
Step-by-step master class on making a dog bed with your own hands:
- Spread a piece of fabric on the floor, and draw 2 parts of the proposed crib on it. One of them will be the same shape as shown in the figure, and the second is the same in size, only without sides (rectangle a).
- After determining the size of the pillow (it should be able to accommodate the animal with its legs outstretched), draw the details on the fabric using a ruler and pen. It can be not only square or rectangular, but also any other shape you wish.
- Now the resulting fragments can be cut, stepping back from the edge of the line by a few centimeters.
- Then you need to sew the corners of one piece, and sew the two pieces together (remember to leave an unstitched section through which you will fill the pillow with silicone). After that, it remains only to turn out the pillow, and fill it tightly with filler.
- At the end, carefully sew the thick thread to fill.
You can also sew several options for pillowcases, taking into account the seasonality and interior of the room.
Do-it-yourself dog bed
If you are going to get a dog, try to create conditions for the animal in which it will be cozy and comfortable. Our pets also deserve a separate space, even if you live in a very small apartment. The solution to the problem can be a bed for a dog, which, if desired, can be made with your own hands.
Knowing how to sew a pillow-shaped bed for a dog, you can try to make models more difficult. For example, a small pet house that resembles a cozy mink. To do this, we need a lot of dense foam rubber sheet and sheathing material.
When sewing a bed for dogs with your own hands, it is better to use the patterns shown in the photo. You just have to choose the color and size.
- Fold the fabric for upholstery in half, carefully draw a pattern (you can substitute your own sizes, the main thing is that the proportions are respected).
- Cut out all parts with seam allowances (the figure shows one whole piece, but parts of the house must be made from pieces, which must then be carefully sewn together).
- By the same principle, draw and cut out parts from foam rubber. They should be 1-2 cm less than the fabric parts. (You need to navigate by the thickness of the foam rubber).
- Sheathe all foam parts with cloth and fasten them.
In places with the inscription “lock”, you can insert a zipper or sew on a strong Velcro. It is better to sew a separate pillow in the middle of the pet house, which will be convenient to take out and wash.
Care of the product
it should be said that pillowcases, as well as removable bedding, need to be washed regularly. By initially choosing materials that repel wool and water, frequent cleaning and washing can be avoided. At least once every six months, you still have to knock out the pillows and beat the filler. But this has its own plus. if the dog has its own personal corner, you will not have to collect wool and dirt all the time throughout the house.
We sew a couch
Having decided on what sleeping places are for dogs, let’s try to do something similar. We offer an elementary version of a model made of fabric, which can be easily sewn even by an inexperienced craftsman.
How to make a couch out of an old sweater?
Got a blouse you are about to throw away? Take your time, if you are a jack of all trades, the old sweater will take on new life. It is easy to make a nice bed for your pet out of fabric. a little effort is enough. How is it sewn? We offer a master class with guides to action.
Making a comfortable bed for a dog
Each animal needs its own corner, where no one will disturb it, and the dog is no exception. Sleeping on the floor, in a plastic box, or on a hard mat is not a joy for your pet. Why not make a do-it-yourself dog bed? Let’s try to master this master class! In this article we will look at the types of loungers and two step-by-step instructions for creating a dog bed.
How to make a bed from an old sweater?
- Pull the “insides” out of the pillow.
- Cut off the neck of the sweater if it is high, or just sew it up if the sweater has no collar.
- Next, sew the product from one sleeve to another.
- The next step to be done is to insert the pillow inside the jacket and darn the bottom.
- In the resulting “arc” from the sleeves, push the soft “insides” that were pulled from another pillow.
- Admiring the received product, which you sewed yourself.
Separately, you can make a removable cover to wash it. The pet will be more comfortable in the new lounger. We hope you enjoyed the master class. You need to find a little time and give your pet a gift.
Tools and materials
To sew a large or small lounger, you will need:
- the fabric from which you will make the product (velor, plush, old fur coat or tight jeans);
- filler (it can be silicone, foam rubber, dry sawdust, etc.);
- a large sheet for creating patterns;
- material for a pillowcase or cover that you will periodically wash (for example, cotton);
A simple bed in the form of a pillow
Even a novice master can handle such a model.!
- First, we measure the pet, because the product is intended for him. To do this, wait until the dog lies down with his legs stretched out and take measurements.
- When there are specific numbers, we proceed to action. Your task is to draw a pattern on thick paper.
- Having done this, we cut out paper fragments of the future bed (as a rule, these are two large circles or rectangles).
- Now we draw the contours of the details of the lounger on the fabric and cut out.
- We sew the fragments, leaving a small place through which we will fill the product with foam rubber or any supplied filler.
- It remains to sew up the hole with tight threads, and the sleeping place for the pet is ready.
- Having increased the pattern by 2-3 cm on each side, you can sew a removable pillowcase according to this principle. But do not sew up the hole, but provide for a fastener of buttons, buttons or zippers.
Before we start designing a “sleeping place” for your pet, let us analyze the types of sun beds and what material they are made of. The choice depends only on the size and breed of the pet. So, if the dog has long hair, then the plastic version will do. This is one of the most popular products.
Why is that? Plastic is easier to clean from dog hair, moreover, such material is non-toxic. The lounger comes with strong supports on which it stands steadily. For plastic models, pillows made of cotton are certainly offered.
Beds in the shape of houses of various sizes are a great option for quiet dogs who are prone to solitude. They are made from soft and hard materials. We can safely say that this is a kind of refuge for a four-legged friend, which you will arrange to your liking.
DIY Recycled Dog Bed. No Sew
If the plastic lounger seems unattractive, look at other options. for example, braided beds. Both large and small, they are suitable for dogs of all breeds and temperaments. Pets are offered open and closed models.
It is easy to guess that dog beds with an open top will be perceived with a bang by sociable pets who love to be in the spotlight. Well, less “sociable” animals will be happy with closed beds, in which no one will disturb them. In addition, they are made from natural materials, as opposed to plastic, which only benefits the dog.
If you want to pamper your pet with an original gift, choose a dog sofa with a removable cover or just comfortable pillows. This masterpiece of top-class dog furniture will fit perfectly into the interior and will please the pet.
If the pet is small, a small lounger of any type is suitable for it. plastic, plush, fur. It all depends solely on your preferences. Large dog? Then you too have plenty to choose from. For example, here is such a wonderful product as in the photo.