Aviary for cats
A great innovation of recent times is the cat cage. Situations often arise when it becomes necessary to limit the cat’s living space in an apartment for many reasons.
How to hide the cat litter box
Often, the owners of “domestic” cats and cats think about how to make sure that the pet’s tray, on the one hand, does not spoil the look of the room and the smell in the house, and on the other hand, is in constant access for the animal.
To create such a special place, you can use, for example, an unnecessary old cabinet, a box with a lid, or a container of a suitable size. All you need to do is cut an opening in one of the walls of the cabinet through which your furry friend will enter his private toilet.
Dog’s door: ideas
The door for the animal can also be an interior door, which solves, for example, the problem when the tray is in the bathroom, because it is impossible to keep the door to this room open all the time.
Your efforts will be rewarded as the care shown will return with the love and dedication of your four-legged friend.
How to do it yourself
We will advise you how to make a fence for a cat in the country or on the site of a country house with your own hands. First you need to decide on the size and location. The minimum dimensions of such a pen for one cat should be 2×3 meters. We will make the aviary from metal pipes with a diameter of 1 inch. A fine mesh netting is suitable for walls.
The grid can be different. It is important to select the material, guided by a specific situation.
The options available should be considered:
- Chain-link. Not the optimal solution for an aviary. It is created by interweaving the wire in a certain way. In this case, the rods are not welded to each other in the places of overlap. For this reason, the cat can injure its legs if it climbs on the net.
- Woven. This material is not suitable for the aviary for the same reasons as the chain-link. Although the weaving method is different, the rods are not welded to each other.
- Welded. The best option for an aviary, since the rods are welded to each other. Sometimes the mesh is coated with polymers. Due to this, the material acquires corrosion resistance.
- All-metal expanded metal mesh. This is a metal sheet in which special diamond-shaped cells are cut. It is usually used in plastering from the position of reinforcing material. Not suitable for an aviary.
During the summer season, many cats love to climb trees: it is healthy, fun and interesting. But with the onset of cold weather, such entertainment ceases to be available, which is why pets accustomed to an active lifestyle can begin to spoil furniture with their claws and climb onto shelves and cornices, tearing off the curtains and turning everything upside down.
There is a way out. a tree for cats, which you can easily do with your own hands. Here are some ideas for a functional and beautiful cat tree.
Aviary for a cat: safe walks on the street and a useful device in the apartment
In Russia, the attitude towards cats is special. For most breeders, these are pets that can do anything, and in private houses, tailed beasts often walk by themselves and may not appear at home for weeks. The situation is quite different in the United States. In this country, outdoor cat enclosures are commonplace. Let’s try to figure out whether this American experience is useful to us and what a large cat cage can be useful for.?
We build an aviary ourselves: useful tips
In fact, a do-it-yourself cat enclosure can be made very quickly using the most affordable materials. In fact, all you need to do is fence some area of your garden with a net and make a roof. However, during construction it is important to take into account a number of important conditions. Get ready mentally for the fact that at least the first time, even from the most beautiful and comfortable enclosure, cats will strive to get out. If your cage is on a lawn instead of a floor, the mesh fence should be buried at least 10 centimeters into the ground. When building an aviary for cats in the country with your own hands, choose the right materials. For example, the net should be so small that the animal cannot stick its paw into it and get stuck. If space permits, equip a lockable vestibule in order to bring and carry animals without the risk of them running away.
Secrets of choosing a cat cage
An aviary for a cat is still a real exotic for our country. Most often, dogs or farm animals are kept in large street cages. So, what are the rules for choosing / designing a cat enclosure? How many animals will be in the fenced area at the same time. try not to be mistaken with the size of the cage.
If the aviary is on the street, it is best to make the roof for it only half transparent. It’s no secret that our tailed friends love to bask in the sun, but the animal should be able to hide in the shade.
Why does a cat need an outdoor enclosure?
The most popular housing option in Russian cities is an apartment in an apartment building. It is for this reason that many residents of our country also prefer to have their own summer cottages for recreation. It is customary to spend all weekends at the dacha, and many families even move here for the whole summer. What about pets?
Catio BoB custom 8x8x8
Many owners of cats who live permanently in an apartment worry about their pets. Having found themselves in nature for the first time, a domestic animal can run away and get lost, fight with neighbors’ pets or wild animals and face many other problems. An aviary for a cat will help out. a large cage in which you can walk in the fresh air without any problems. This option is also suitable for the constant keeping of animals in the southern regions of our country. Outdoor and indoor aviaries will be useful for nurseries, veterinary hospitals and shelters.
Home playpen or indoor cat enclosure
In the conditions of an apartment, it is sometimes also necessary to allocate its own territory to the tailed darling. Playpens and indoor enclosures for kittens are irreplaceable. They should be chosen according to a very simple principle: the cubs should not be able to get out.
It is also important that the tailed mother has free access to her offspring, and the owner can clearly see everything that is happening inside. An indoor cat enclosure will also be useful in some special cases, for example, if the animal has recently undergone surgery and will withdraw from treatment for some time. Such a thing is indispensable for overexposure, if several animals temporarily live in the apartment, which are hostile to each other. Attention: for kittens, you can use playpens without a roof, but adults require completely closed cages.
It is correct to start construction with a drawing of a dog enclosure. This will allow you to correctly calculate the amount of required material and immediately visualize the construction object.
An aviary starts from a solid foundation. It is quite expensive to fill the entire foundation, but it is imperative to concrete the support pillars. For pillars, you can use a square pipe.
You should not build an aviary on a leftover basis. You can use the elements from building your own house, but the right choice of materials is the primary point for comfortable keeping a pet. There is no need to save on fasteners. the structure must have a margin of safety. Nobody wants to redo the work after a while.
What materials are taken for aviaries. The building is most often constructed from wood, metal, brick, or a combination of these. As a result, the designs can be very diverse and depend only on the capabilities of the pet owner.
Wood is one of the most inexpensive and easy-to-process materials. To work with it, you do not need skills, for example, a welder, and a minimal set of tools will be enough. That is why most people opt for a wooden aviary.
The roof will protect the pet not only from precipitation, but also from the scorching sun. Any material can be used, but a soft roof is preferable. This will protect your pet’s ears from noise during the rain.
IKEA HACK | OUTDOOR CAT ENCLOSURE | APARTMENT BALCONY CATIO | CAT TREE IDEAS 2020 | DANIELA CARMELA
There should not be a large load on the roof, but it is necessary to make a crate under the roof. It will be enough boards with a thickness of 20-25 mm in increments of 40-60 cm. A roof slope within 10-15% is required.
It is important to immediately think over the drainage system so that the flowing sediments do not accumulate inside the aviary.
DIY aviary. step by step instructions on how to make the right outdoor dog enclosure (115 photos)
Stores offer a large selection of aviaries, but it is much more pleasant to build a pet house yourself. With certain skills, almost anyone can do it. This process should be approached after fairly considering all the nuances. If you have a question about how to make an aviary for a dog with your own hands, you can consider the beginning.
Before starting construction, you need to understand how the aviary will be used. Whether it will be the place of permanent or temporary location of the animal. Even if the dog behaves well throughout the site, sometimes there is a need for its isolation.
Below you will find recommendations and photos of self-made aviaries.
The nuances of building an aviary
For a start, all the subtleties should be considered, based on the different climatic zones in which the building will be erected, and only then pay attention to personal wishes and tastes.
The floor can be wood, earthen or concrete. The earthen floor will often need to be leveled as dogs are big diggers.
Concrete will last better, but it cools down very much in the cold season, so it is not recommended for use in the northern regions. Wood flooring is the best choice.
The aviary should be spacious. Recommended area from 6 to 10 sq. m and depends on the size of the dog. The space saved during the construction phase is difficult to compensate in the future.
It is important to build the safest possible structure for the animal while minimizing the risk of injury. No sharp edges, holes in which the pet can get stuck.
Considering all of the above, you will get a simple do-it-yourself dog enclosure.
Regardless of the temperature conditions in the region, at least one of the walls should be lattice. This will give your pet a good view.
Do not use a mesh-netting as a material. Its only advantage is the price. The net tends to stretch, there are cases when dogs were injured against it.
The height of the building should be calculated based on the size of the dog and the height of the owner. The pet should be able to stand on its hind legs, and the owner will be many times more comfortable to be inside in full growth.
We have already decided that the floor is made of wood. There are no special subtleties here, a shield of planed dry boards with a thickness of 35 mm is knocked down.
The tree should be treated with an antiseptic and leave a space under the floor for ventilation.
Dog handlers recommend that the door opens into the enclosure. This will protect you from being hit by a possible jumping dog. An exception is possible only if the size of the building does not allow such an approach.
Also use the advice. do not make the door from the side of a solid wall. The dog must see the incoming person in advance. Be sure to provide, in addition to a reliable external latch, the ability to close the door behind you from the inside.
Where to locate the dog enclosure
To choose the right place, follow certain guidelines:
- it is necessary to prefer a flat and dry area, on which there are no drafts;
- the view of the animal should be maximized, but at the same time, you should not place the structure too close to the entrance or to the fence;
- complete isolation from the owners must be avoided, the animal must not feel lonely;
- do not place the aviary near the windows of the house. No matter how carefully you clean, accompanying odors are inevitable.
If everything is very clear with a small building for an apartment, then before you independently build an outdoor enclosure for cats, you should familiarize yourself with the recommendations for arrangement:
- The fenced area must cope with the assigned functions, be commensurate with the number of pets.
- It is preferable to equip the outdoor structure with a waterproof roof. In addition to weather protection, this will become an obstacle for a dexterous animal that can jump even over a high wall.
- Drains in the outdoor enclosure will prevent the accumulation of liquid on the floor.
- Decisions in the design of the floor of the aviary are different, linoleum or tiles are suitable, which are easy to clean from dirt. The lawn will help radically change the atmosphere of the apartment and get closer to nature. It is important not to allow large gaps between the floor and the wall of the enclosure, through which the cat is able to get out or meet unwanted guests.
- Materials for the walls of enclosures are selected depending on the location of the structure. A fenced street area is traditionally formed from a chain-link mesh. A small playpen in an apartment is often made of dense synthetic fabric.
An example of a competent installation of an outdoor enclosure on
Year-round pets in fencing in domestic open spaces is problematic due to the harsh climate. But as a temporary or seasonal measure, cages for cats in the country will be an excellent solution to many problems. This is especially true for owners of breeding breeds, when it is required to protect the animal from contact with the yard representatives of the feline family. An outdoor enclosure at a summer cottage will allow you to avoid unwanted cat pregnancy, infection and fight. At the same time, the pet will frolic in the fresh air, learning the world outside the apartment.
In addition to spacious outdoor enclosures, there are also small structures designed for installation in an apartment. The reasons for purchasing a fence are various:
- childbirth of a cat;
- to move small kittens to avoid the risk of damage to the animal;
- if there is a need to isolate the breeding cat from the cat;
- apartment enclosures are sometimes used as exhibition tents;
- small playpens are convenient for short-term suburban rest or when it becomes necessary to overexpose the animal.
Cages for cats in the apartment
Cages for cats will become a lifesaver in a situation when it is required to partially protect the movement of a pet. The design of the structure depends on the place of installation and the assigned functions.
The site can consist exclusively of side rails or be supplemented with floor and roof. Depending on the size and the planned pastime, the cat enclosure is equipped with bowls for food and drink, a tray, a play complex and a house.
Types of structures
All types of protective structures are conventionally divided into three types:
- Aviary for a cat. It is a stationary street building of impressive size. Usually it is installed in a private area, less often on a veranda in a house or balcony. It is equipped with everything necessary for a long stay of a pet.
- Cage for a cat. Small container, portable or stationary. Made from wood or metal rods. Serves for short-term keeping of a pet in an apartment or outdoors.
- A playpen for a cat. The design is represented by a portable container, usually of a folding type. The material for the manufacture is different. Fabric products differ in convenience, less often they choose metal or wooden counterparts.
Construction of an outdoor enclosure
The complexity of making a do-it-yourself cat enclosure depends on the size of the structure and the installation location. Like any construction, the design of an aviary begins with design. The dimensions of the structure are determined taking into account the breed and the number of cats. in a Mei Coon fence, it requires more space than other breeds. The minimum area is considered at the rate of 2×3 m per pet.
The main stages of arranging an outdoor enclosure:
- Are engaged in marking the territory in accordance with the plan.
- Pour the foundation.
- After gaining strength with concrete, proceed to the formation of the walls of the enclosure.
- First, the support pillars are installed. It is optimal to take metal pipes, less often they use concrete pillars.
- Moving on to the arrangement of the roof. If the aviary is located in an open area, it is advisable to make a waterproof roof. Slate or metal tiles are more practical than polycarbonate that transmits the rays of the sun.
- Installation of an enclosure for cats in the shade of trees and the presence of houses allows you to do with a net.
- When choosing a mesh for the walls of the enclosure, pay attention to the size of the cells. It is important not to allow the cat’s paw to get stuck in them.
- The floor design is chosen at the discretion of the owner. Options are gravel, concrete, boardwalk, lawn grass, combination.
When the frame of the aviary is ready, they move on to the interior arrangement. Sanded boards are the best option for houses and play elements (stairs, stands, etc.). Part of the wall can be sewn up to give the cat protection from the wind.
The recommendations of specialists and the algorithm of actions for arranging the enclosure will help you to independently build a cat-friendly structure installed in an apartment or on the street. Successful examples of outdoor enclosures are presented in the following video material.