What materials at hand can be made?
When choosing material for making a dog bed, listen to the recommendations of experts.
- It should be a fabric that is comfortable for the dog. Especially careful selection of material is required for short-haired breeds. The pile should not cause irritation, the canvas should not be squeaky. Consider options that are resistant to abrasion, clawing and brushing.
- For smooth-haired breeds, it is recommended to choose materials that store and retain heat. These include flock, velor, plush, felt, velveteen. Faux fur can be made for dogs that sleep warm, but this material should be avoided if the bed is made for pets with allergies.
- For long-haired dogs, beds made of smooth but dense material, such as linen, jeans, tapestry, are suitable.
- Comfortable, warm and soft padding will be made of foam rubber, padding polyester, batting, holofiber. Do not use fluff or straw as they can harbor bacteria and insects.
- Try not to use synthetic fabrics, they build up static electricity and can scare your pet. In addition, this material can provoke allergies in the animal.
There are many options, you just have to show your imagination.
In addition to the above materials, in the manufacture of a homemade couch, you will need other means: threads, scissors, paper for patterns. All this is in every home, and paper can be replaced with an ordinary newspaper. Before drawing up a project and choosing a material, it is worthwhile to study the varieties of dog loungers.
- Pillow. Suitable for both large and small dogs. It is carried out quickly, just stuffed with foam rubber or padding polyester. Doesn’t take up much space, you can just put it in the dog’s basket.
- A sunbed with a side. It is a bed with “walls”. Sometimes it can be made from the above cushion, embedded in a base with sides. Plywood or corrugated board is used as a base.
- House. Usually created for small breed dogs. Time-consuming to manufacture. Sewing can be carried out by taking a base, for example, a box. For warmth, you can lay out sheepskin or faux fur inside.
- Wooden bed. This version is made for large breed guard dogs. A wooden lounger is often installed on the street next to the booth or directly in the aviary. A more complex variety. For manufacturing, you will need wood, self-tapping screws, an electric screwdriver and other tools.
We suggest trying to make one of three options for home dog beds. simple, complicated and complex. To create the most ordinary sunbed, you need an old knitted sweater. There are several steps to follow.
- Stitch horizontally from one armpit to the other. You should get two parts, among which the lower one will become the bottom, and the sleeves and the chest area will become bumpers.
- Stuff the bottom with the materials suggested above, or use an old pillow that matches the size. Sew the resulting “bag” tightly with threads or pull off with a string.
- Sew the sleeves to each other in such a way that they form the so-called pipe, which also needs to be filled with filler through the collar. The more elastic the sides are, the more durable and comfortable the product will be for the dog.
- Sew the neckline and fasten the sides obtained from the sleeves around the perimeter of the lounger.
It will take about half an hour to make such a bed, and even a child can cope with this task.
A pet will definitely appreciate a homemade bed.
A slightly sophisticated model can be made from old jeans. Step-by-step instructions for creating a denim bed:
- cut old jeans into 12 identical rectangles 24 cm high;
- attach the strips to each other with the front sides and sew their edges, iron the seams;
- from the sewn flaps, one strip with a length of about 150 cm should be obtained;
- sew the ends of the strip into a ring;
- cut out a circle with a radius of 24 cm from jeans. if the length is not enough, then you can create the missing parts using the applique;
- lay a layer of padding polyester and an old towel in the bottom area, sew two circles with the filler hidden inside;
- bend the side in half and sew to the bottom, and when about 10 cm remains to be sewn, fill the side with padding polyester, you can use a stick or wire for stuffing;
- sew up the remaining hole, if there are unused ends, cut them off, or sew into the sides.
This option can be used from two different sides. with or without bumpers. Depending on the size of the dog, the parameters of the bed may vary. This option is made for miniature breeds.
A more complex model for resting a dog is a house. It will take a little more time and materials. To create a house, follow these steps:
- pick up fabric for upholstery, fold it in half, draw a pattern in a size that is comfortable for the dog;
- cut out all parts with seam allowances;
- cut out the same parts from a dense sheet of foam rubber, but less by a couple of centimeters than the fabric elements;
- sheathe all foam parts with fabric cutouts, fasten them securely.
The house is ready, but for convenience, you can put a pillow or blanket inside. Alternatively, one of the sides can be zipped.
In this case, in the house it will be possible to easily clean up or get out of there things that the dog hid in his den.
Pros and cons
Among the minuses, we can only note that it will take some time to create. However, it can be turned into a plus. After all, you can involve children in work by spending a pleasant family evening with them making a bed for a pet.
By the way, pet owners know that their pets love to sleep on the owner’s clothes. The fact is that four-legged friends, in the absence of the owner, experience melancholy and boredom. Clothes that have fallen to the floor smells like their loved one, so dogs and cats love to relax on the owner’s things. In this regard, a homemade bed made from the owner’s old clothes will appeal to the dog much more than a purchased copy.
Another plus in favor of any bed is keeping the wool in one place. A dog that has no place of its own can lie down in the bedroom in the morning, in the hallway in the afternoon, and in the kitchen in the evening. Accordingly, for the whole day, the whole apartment will be filled with dog hair.
If the animal rests in only one place, then the owner will have to clean one bed of wool, and not run around the house with a vacuum cleaner.
Instructions for making a wooden couch
For large dogs, it is impractical to make a soft bed, since under the large weight of the animal, the structure crumples and quickly becomes unusable. For a dog bed to last longer, it is recommended that it be made of wood. This option is perfect for both a domestic dog and an outdoor dog. A rigid wooden frame will allow a large animal to comfortably accommodate. Follow these steps to create a cozy dog resting place.
- Prepare boards of the correct size. To do this, you can take old pallets, disassemble them into parts, sand them well and cut them into boards of suitable parameters.
- Sand the workpieces so that the dog does not get hurt by burrs.
- There should be four blanks in total: the bottom and sides on three sides. skillful craftsmen can surround all four sides with bumpers by making an entrance in one of the walls.
- Do not use nails for fastening, but self-tapping screws, as nails can injure the dog. Drill holes in the material, deepen the heads of the self-tapping screws as much as possible so that the pet does not cling to them.
- To strengthen the strength of the structure during assembly, use metal corners.
The simplest wood dog bed is ready. For convenience, you can attach a cabinet next to it, in which toys for the dog will be stored. And also some craftsmen adapt the bed to wheels. so it can be moved around the apartment during rearrangement.
Do not forget to cover the bed with a blanket on top to create a cozy atmosphere.
If you have experience with wood, then you can try to make a two-story structure for several dogs. In this case, a wooden staircase will lead to the second level. You can make a similar structure for one dog, but place, for example, bowls for food and water on the ground floor. Then the building will look like a whole dog’s corner.
If the size of the dog allows, then when creating a wooden couch, you can limit yourself to a simple wooden box turned over to the bottom. Another option is to make the bed from solid wooden pallets. In this case, four pallets are required: one base and three sides. The shape of the pallets visually resembles a classic children’s bed, which looks very aesthetically pleasing. You can paint all the material in your favorite color, and varnish it on top.
How to make a do-it-yourself dog bed?
It is generally accepted that every cat needs its own soft and comfortable bed. Dogs have plenty of room on the mat. But this is not entirely true of man’s best friends. Own place is an important psychological factor in the attachment of the animal to the house, and, of course, most breeds will prefer to rest in a soft cozy couch than on a thin door rug.
Easy Reversible Pet Bed Sewing tutorial
When making a bed for a dog, use additional recommendations.
- Any pillows and stuffed materials should be fluffed at least 2 times a year. It is necessary to regularly clean the casing from debris and wool. To do this, you can use, for example, a vacuum cleaner or a roller for cleaning wool, it is sold at an economical price in the economic department.
- When choosing a sewing fabric, give preference to materials with a small print. The fact is that the white canvas gets dirty quickly, it will have to be washed often, and wool is clearly visible on a black background. Bright fabric with fine details does not need to be vacuumed as often.
- For convenience, you can initially choose a covering made of materials that repel wool and water. An even simpler option is to make the entire structure in a case. Then you just have to take out the pillow from the cover, clean the cover from wool and wash it in a typewriter.
- When decorating a homemade couch, give up the use of beads, beads, bows and other decorations. Not only can a dog cling to such a part and injure a paw, but also active individuals will not mind gnawing such a peculiar toy or swallowing it.
- When making a soft bed, use strong threads and reliable fittings. Many dogs, especially at a young age, love to gnaw, tear, taste everything, so a poorly stitched design will quickly become unusable. For the same purpose, try to choose a strong, wear-resistant material for cladding.
- Measure the dog several times before making it, and also think about where you can put the dog’s bed in advance. Perhaps, tenants of small-sized apartments should completely abandon the dog’s bed, so as not to force space. In such cases, you can put sun loungers and houses on the balcony, but this option is only suitable for the warm season.
- The type of bed is selected taking into account the breed of the dog. If this is a miniature eternally trembling dog, experiencing constant cold, then it will be glad to have a bed with high sides, behind which it can hide from the dangers of the world around it, and a thick mattress laid inside for heating. Active dogs, participants in any household chores, will prefer a bed with low sides that will not restrict their view.
If this is a dog with warm long hair, then he will refuse to sleep in a fur bed, a light construction made of smooth material will suit him.
How to sew a do-it-yourself dog bed
In this article I will tell you how to sew a dog bed with your own hands from scrap materials. I will help you choose the material and determine the size, I will give a pattern and step-by-step instructions for cutting and sewing, I will give a master class on sewing. I will review the original pet beds.
How to choose material
The material should be comfortable for a house pet (pug, Yorkie and other small breeds): not irritate the skin and not make unpleasant squeaks and rustles. You also need to think about resistance to constant rubbing, clawing, washing and cleaning.
The best options for smooth-haired dogs are fuzzy materials that store and retain heat. These are velor, flock, plush, felt or velveteen. For warm-loving dogs, the bed can be made of short-haired faux fur, but this option will not work for pets prone to allergies.
For dogs with long hair, it is best to choose a material that is smooth but durable. Ideal for: linen, bumazeye, jeans, tapestry.
For stuffing, foam rubber, holofiber, batting or synthetic winterizer are used. It is better to refuse down, feathers and hay. They quickly accumulate parasites and microbes.
Synthetic fabric builds up static electricity and will scare the animal from time to time. Allergy develops on synthetics several times faster. Also, do not decorate the bed with small accessories, the dog can gnaw and swallow them.
Patterns and sewing scheme of a cradle bed for a dog
Cut out the details
According to this scheme, even a beginner can sew a dog bed. Only one piece of the pattern is used here. This eliminates the painstaking work itself. stitching several parts together.
- two parts are drawn and cut out on paper;
- lay the fabric face down on a wide table;
- details of the pattern are laid out on the surface of the fabric;
- control mowing lines and points are drawn along the contour of the paper with chalk;
- after that, the patterns are removed, once again check the correctness of the dimensions and cut out the parts along the lines.
The advantages of a do-it-yourself bed
This is important for proper socialization, prevention of inflammatory diseases of the joints and just for the comfort of the pet.
Homemade beds have a number of advantages:
- ideal sizes for the size of the dog;
- significant savings;
- the ability to choose a material, the color of which is suitable for the interior of the house;
- the choice of the shape of the bed for the room;
- the ability to choose the texture of the material based on the characteristics of the pet: coat length, tendency to allergies, thermophilicity.
When choosing a berth, they are not limited only by the size of the dog, it is important to consider the posture during sleep or rest. Regardless of the breed, a pet (Labrador, Husky, Boxer, etc.) may prefer a soft or hard base. All this can be taken into account when making a homemade couch.
Sleeping place for a dog
Lounger with bumpers: step by step instructions
Before sewing a bench with a round side (sofa, bed), the dog is measured taking into account the elongated front paws, add another 10 cm to this value.This parameter will be the length of the berth.
- material and packing;
- paper or old wallpaper for patterns;
- safety pins, a needle, scissors, strong thread;
- ruler, chalk or pencil.
Otherwise, the stuffing inside the cover will collect in lumps.
Lounger with bumpers
Sewing and stuffing
To make the sleeping place more neat, for a start it is better to work with a needle. sew the details with large and straight stitches.
- bottom details are sewn around the perimeter from three sides;
- on the remaining side, fill with packing, sew;
- stitching and stuffing the sides;
- at the corners to fix the sides to the base, zippers or ties from laces, braids or pieces of used material are sewn.
The result is a bed with falling bumpers. The clasps pull and raise the sides vertically. In the heat, you can lower them and get a spacious and comfortable mattress.
You should get such a sleeping place. Here, the master did not cut corners during cutting. This can be done if the density of the filler allows you to make a fold.
Lounger with descending sides
You can refuse fasteners and just sew all corners tightly. Then you get a place with fixed sides, like this.
The lounger should be secluded but accessible for cleaning.
Review of original dog beds
It is ideal if the sleeping bed is in good harmony with the style of the interior. it does not cause the feeling of a random thing. You can dream up and arrange a place for a dog from completely unexpected objects.
A practical option is for an eco-style interior or a summer residence. You just need to treat the old box with a protective impregnation, apply the pet’s initials using a stencil and paint. Then place a suitable pillow inside.
Do not rush to throw out your old suitcase with a rigid frame. It will match any decor, creating a unique vintage corner. You can unfasten the covers or simply lift and fix them on the wall, and lay the bedding inside.
An old bedside table or chest of drawers can become a cozy place for a pet to sleep and rest. By the way, they can be painted to match the interior background or aged. To arrange a convenient place, all the lower parts are dismantled and the bedding is laid out at the bottom.
A good and practical option for small breeds. The owner’s clothes keep his smell for a long time. the pet will feel close and less bored during his absence.
Believe me, a four-legged friend will surely appreciate your efforts and will thank you with love.
There is also such an option: a painted tire with a litter laid inside. This is a very controversial decision. An old tire gives off toxic substances, especially at elevated room temperatures. The dog can get sick.
I sewed a bed with sides two years ago from velor. My dog practically does not shed, so I wash it once every two months with safe detergents. Shake out or tape twice a week. The bed still looks good. there are no signs of wear. I think that it will last another year, and the dog will not have to get used to a new place.
The main types of beds
The sleeping place of a domestic dog can be varied: an ottoman, a whole bed or a sofa, an ordinary bedding, etc. Today, the following types of beds are distinguished:
- by filling. plastic and soft (synthetic winterizer filler);
- in shape. oval, rounded, rectangular, etc.;
- by appointment. for active rest or sleep;
- according to the degree of rigidity. frame (rigid base covered with soft material) and frameless (pillow, mattress or rug);
- by illumination. closed and open.
The choice of the type depends on the following parameters:
- breed and size of the animal. There are models for large and small varieties;
- pet preferences;
- ease of self-manufacturing.
- stage or cradle. Often equipped with removable bedding;
- scops pillow. The product requires minimal maintenance and is suitable for any interior. Easy to carry;
- sunbed with a side. It is considered the most popular model;
- house. Allows the animal to completely hide. The most difficult construction in terms of self-creation.
How to make a comfortable dog bed with your own hands
Tools and materials
For self-manufacture of a sofa for a pet dog, you must use fabric for upholstery and filler (synthetic winterizer or foam rubber) for the bedding. Also, special paper is taken to create a pattern. The list of materials depends on the type of bed.
To reduce the cost of a homemade product, you can take an old fabric cut into pieces as a filler. It is allowed to use old jeans, sweater, etc. for upholstery.
From the tools you will need needles and threads. A sewing machine can greatly simplify the manufacturing process.
How to do it yourself
To build a bed for any dog with your own hands, you need to prepare all the materials and tools required for this, as well as make the correct pattern. Let’s consider each stage of work in more detail.
There are various master classes on how to make a dog bed yourself. We will consider the simplest and most understandable way. The following step-by-step instructions will allow you to quickly make a bed with sides for the dog:
- First, a pattern is made.
- The finished pattern is applied to the material and outlined.
- The outlined parts of the product are cut out.
- All tissue fragments are stitched together.
- Let’s consider each stage in more detail.
To create a pattern, you need to take measurements from an animal. lying, with fully extended limbs on the floor. To the obtained dimensions, add 10–20 cm for the seams. You can also leave some space “for growth” (if the animal is growing).
When the pattern is ready, it is transferred to the fabric. You need to cut it clearly along the marked lines, without leaving additional space. It is best to use a durable fabric. Also, at this stage, foam rubber or other filler is cut to the appropriate size. It will be used to create the bottom and sides. The height of the sides is taken small. 20-40 cm. When choosing the height of the sides, you must focus on the height of the pet.
The fabric with which it is planned to sheathe the foam parts should have 2 additional centimeters on each side. They will go to the seams. When all fabric fragments have been cut out, they must be sewn together, guided by the pattern. They should be sewn so that all seams remain on the inside. Otherwise, they will interfere with the dog resting on a homemade bed.
It is better to sew a snake to the fabric base. Thus, you get a replaceable cover that is easy to wash in a washing machine. This will keep the litter clean.
When all fragments of the material are sewn together, foam rubber is inserted inside. Thanks to this material, the bottom and sides of the product are fixed.
All actions for the manufacture of a berth can be performed manually. But you can get the job done much faster if you use a sewing machine. It will help make the seams strong and neat.
Requirements for a pet’s resting place
When making a bed for a pet dog, you must take into account the following requirements for it:
- the sleeping place should be suitable for the size of the dog. It is necessary that the animal is completely placed in it in a supine position;
- the presence of soft litter;
- only safe materials are used that do not cause allergies and do not emit hazardous substances into the air;
- the litter should be warm and protect the dog from the cold floor;
- it is desirable that the bed has sides on three sides.
When creating a dog bed, be sure to consider the preferences of the pet. It is important not only to choose the right type, but also to place a sunbed in the apartment. Otherwise, the pet will not use the product for its intended purpose.
Step-by-step master class
We selected all the materials, decided on the size, then we will start making a bed for the dog with our own hands.
Cut out three identical rectangular pieces measuring 55x40cm (Fig. 1). And two long details of the side of the bed (Fig. 2).
The part of the side will be one-piece, that is, we will sew it to the bottom of the lounger along the entire perimeter. If the length of the fabric is not enough for you to cut out a single piece of the side, then the pieces of fabric can be sewn together (Fig. 3). It is advisable to make seams exactly in those places where the edges (corners) of the bed will be located.
We fold the two resulting long details of the side face to face, and we will stitch them together along the entire length, BUT only along the top of the future side (Fig. 4).
We cut off the excess fabric from the front, where the side has a smooth rounding (Fig. 1). So that the fabric does not crumble, the seam can be additionally processed on an overlock or simply with a zigzag stitch, as I did (Fig. 2).
We turn out the part of the side to the front side. We straighten all the seams well, and iron the stitched top (Fig. 3).
If desired, from the outside, along the top of the side of the bed, you can additionally lay a finishing line.
We mark the edges with a pitch of 55x40x55x40cm on the long part of the side (as shown in the pattern). I did not mark the edges, since I combined denim from several types of jeans, and sewed them immediately with just such a step. The seams of the parts sewn together, I have a kind of markup.
But, if you have a plain fabric, then such a marking of the edges (corners) of the side should be done at this stage.
To make it easier to fill the side with holofiber, it is better to immediately sew one of the edges (shown with an orange dotted line) on a sewing machine.
Further, from the front side, but already along the bottom, we sew two parts of the side together. We do not sew on the bottom only the details of the front side of the side, where the rounding is.
Since our side is stitched in the middle, we begin to fill one half of it with holofiber first. Conventionally, I divided the side into 4 parts (four sides). First, we fill the part at number 2. Then, along the previously marked markings (the edges of the side), we lay a seam (as shown by the arrow in the photo).
We asked for it. We fill the next part with holofiber
We do the same with the other half. But there is a little subtlety here. As I already wrote, those details of the side, where there is a smooth rounding, I did not sew together along the bottom. The fact is that pushing the filler through a narrow area is rather difficult. Therefore, first we fill part of the side with holofiber.
DIY Dog Lover’s Dog Bed | Debbie Shore Sewing Projects | Create and Craft
We sew the edge, lay a seam along the bottom of the last part of the side, and also fill it with filler.
We sew the ends of the side together from the inside. The dog bed is almost ready.
We turn out the side of the bed so that its outer part (I have it in denim) is inside. So it will be easier for me to connect the side and bottom to each other. I do it by hand, as my sewing machine will not be able to sew such an impressive structure.
When everything is stitched, we wrap the side back inside.
Here is such a bed for a dog we got inside.
From the two remaining rectangular pieces measuring 55×40 cm, we make a soft pillow inside the bed. It is not necessary to fill the pillow too tightly with holofiber, so that it does not turn out round and hard.
We put the pillow inside. The bed is completely ready.
Jack clearly liked his new soft and cozy spot.
How to sew a dog bed
How to sew a dog bed with your own hands. Today Jack and I will show you a workshop on making a cozy spot for your furry friend.
You always want your beloved watchdog to have all the best. And what could be better than a self-made accessory. Our old bed has already lost its appearance. So I decided to sew a new cozy “nest” for Jack.
By the way, just recently I sewed another bed for Dzhekushka. This is a very stylish, unusual and incredibly cool pigtail bed. I saw this model on the Internet, and decided to sew another cozy nest for my beloved watchdog. After all, there are never too many beds! truth?
This is a new model. To be honest, apart from the manufacturers of such braids, I have never seen such models of couches. But, I think after our master class with Dzhekushka, many will want to sew such a stylish place for their furry friend.
Each fluffy ponytail should have its own comfortable place where it will feel as comfortable as possible. Therefore, it is important to choose the right size, style and material for making a sunbed.
Obeying instincts, equipping a place for rest, many dogs love to “dig” their “lair”. Therefore, it is best to choose denser natural fabrics as upholstery: flock, corduroy, denim, twill, canvas. Thin fabrics may simply not be able to withstand such pressure.
Most of the four-legged love to relax on soft featherbeds, and even so that there is a pillow under the head. Therefore, it is best to make a lounger with bumpers so that the doggie can calmly lie down and put his furry ears higher. In addition, the model with bumpers is perfect for those ponytails who like to hide their curious nose.
To make a couch, we need the following materials:
- As the main material for the upholstery, I used two types of fabric: durable wear-resistant natural fabric “Canvas” and denim. But this is not at all necessary. You can only use one type of fabric.
- As a filler, you can take a synthetic winterizer or holofiber.
Jack immediately appreciated the holofiber pouch. Probably thought that this is his new soft bed.
And here’s another cool dog bed. The side is made in the form of a pigtail. Isn’t it very original! How do you think?
In the video below, I will tell you in detail and show how to sew such a bed for my pet. And now a little theory on how to calculate the length of each pigtail exactly for your size of the couch.
I will give the calculations for my bed. Based on this, you can easily calculate all the necessary dimensions for your “nest”.
- First you need to decide on the size of the place itself (round pillow). The diameter of the pillow of my bed will be 50cm. But, the size of the side itself (pigtails), we need to make a little more so that the bed for the dog is not too tight.
- Add another 10cm to the resulting diameter. This will be the diameter of the future side (grass braids). In my case it is 60cm.
Well, now we need to calculate the length of each “strand”. For this we need the following formula.
So, we have calculated the circumference of the side. But since we still have a pigtail bed, we need an additional length for the weaves. Add about 50-70cm to the resulting circumference. This will be the length of each of the “strands” of our future “grass braid”.
Pattern of a bed for a dog. You can adjust the pattern. Make it larger or smaller, depending on the size of your woolen friend. As you can see, for a medium-sized Jack Russell Terrier, weighing 7kg, I made a bed 55x40cm.
After sewing the lounger, I was left with denim, and I decided to sew an additional pillow in the form of a soft bone for dogs. Such a soft bone can be used not only as a pillow, but also as a toy.
The bone can be made larger or smaller, depending on the purpose. But so that your ponytail does not break it instantly, it is advisable to use a sufficiently strong material for upholstery.
How to determine the size of the bed
It is very important to determine the size of the future bed. To do this, it is best to take approximate measurements when your pet is in a relaxed, comfortable position. I took measurements like this.
Well, if you take measurements according to all the rules, it is usually recommended to do this as follows:
- To determine the width, you need to measure your watchdog from the base of the tail to the tip of the nose. If the lounger has bumpers, it is recommended to add 10-20cm to this size. If you are sewing bedding for a dog, the value should be increased by 20-30cm.
- To calculate the width of your dog’s bed, measure from the paw pads to the croup of the four-legged. Increase the resulting size by 2 times.
If you look at the photo, I got something like that.
In this version, you can significantly reduce the most difficult stage. to sew everything together. Cutting will take significantly longer, but it is much easier than stitching.
- Two rectangles need to be cut out of a solid canvas.
- In order to find out all the dimensions of the sides, it is necessary to add the height of the sides on four sides to the desired dimensions of the berth.
- Then cut off the corners. Although they can be left, provided that the density of the filler allows for a crease.
- Sew all parts along the perimeter of the bottom on three sides.
- Place the filler in the. then sew on the remaining side of the bottom;
- Stuff the sides, and then sew.
- You should get a rectangle with round protrusions.
- Insert zip fasteners at the corners (drawstrings also work).
- The clasp performs the function of tightening, pulls the edges and raises the sides vertically. During hot weather, it is very easy to turn the sunbed into a mattress. just lower the sides.
We sew a dog bed with our own hands for beginners
Here’s another option for making a bed for your pet. It is also simple, the main thing is to be able to handle a needle and thread, then you will get such a bed for your dog:
For work you will need filler, thick fabric, needles and threads, as well as scissors.
- First, we make the bottom, having previously measured your dog so that it fits there exactly.
- For work, we take a dense fabric and cut out two ovals, leaving a couple of centimeters plus for sewing.
- In order for all the seams to be even parts, you should first sweep to each other.
- We sew on typewriters and turn out to the front side, while do not forget to remove the excess thread from sweeping, and leave a hole for filling.
- We fill the bottom so that it turns out to be of medium elasticity, and sew.
- And we also do it with the sides, leaving a small opening for the animal to enter.
- We sew the details and your work is ready.
You can use absolutely any dense fabric and something soft is suitable for the filler. In any case, your pet will be very happy with the new house.
Do-it-yourself dog beds: caring for a faithful friend
A dog is man’s best friend, and friends should be respected. Is your beloved pet still sleeping in a cardboard box covered with rags, from which it carries a dog a mile away? Give your friend quite a bit of time and energy. make a comfortable and beautiful sunbed. Believe me, a four-legged friend will surely appreciate your efforts, will thank you with love and devotion. Today in the article we will consider how to make interesting dog beds with our own hands, we will present a master class with a photo and video of the process.
A bit of creativity for dog beds
If you don’t know how to make a bed for a dog, we bring to your attention several exclusive and at the same time budget ideas for products that you definitely will not find in your neighbors or friends.
- A bed from an outdated suitcase;
- a bed made of old furniture, whether it be an old chair, a coffee table, a bench or a console, and for a large dog the kitchen table will also work;
- an impromptu house can be equipped even from an old bedside table or chest of drawers;
- a first-class dog bed will turn out from a sweater that is not of the first freshness;
- pallets or barrels will do;
- for those who like to “be creative”, we offer to build a dog bed out of a tire.
Tools and materials
Before you start sewing a comfortable resting place for your four-legged pet, prepare:
- fabric is the main material, you can choose it according to your own taste and artistic idea: nylon, old fur coat, cotton, velor;
- silicone or foam rubber will serve as a filler, but straw or hay is the optimal medium for the reproduction of skin parasites;
- fabric for removable items and cover;
- sheets of paper for drawing patterns;
- needles, scissors and thread.
Important! It is better to take care that the materials are durable. Of course, you will want to decorate the “nest”, but if the pet loves to play pranks and gnaw things, then you should not bother. it is in vain.
Unusual decor of cozy dog beds
On the fabric from which the lounger is made, you can embroider images of animals, for example, the pet itself. The sides are sometimes decorated:
- colored fabric (patchwork).
The bed itself can be made of an unusual shape, in the form of a paw, slipper, flower, bone.
- Cut two identical pieces of fabric.
- Sew on three sides (the seam is done on the wrong side), turn over.
- Stitch the zipper to the edges of the remaining open hole.
- Fill the resulting bag with foam rubber.
The snake is fastened, the bed is given into the possession of the dog.