Do-it-yourself dog bed: photos and patterns. General Tips
- Denim, nylon, cotton and linen, flock, plush, fleece and velor, faux fur or satin. As a filler. synthetic winterizer, foam rubber, batting, woolen cloth, holofiber, fluff. Almost any material is suitable for a bed. But keep in mind that your pet will dig, bite and stretch the fabric. a strong, wear-resistant material will last longer;
- Use strong threads and reliable hardware. If your dog has a habit of gnawing sticking out / hanging things, do not decorate the bed with beads, bows, ruffles, etc.;
- Sew the pillow into the cover for easy cleaning. The bottom does not need to be made too soft and voluminous. there are enough soft sides and pillows for the pet to rest like a king;
- Before making a dog bed, measure your pet again and think about where its bed will be. This will help determine the size of the berth and the shape of the bed;
- Consider the nature and degree of the dog’s coat. Heat-loving sissies have high sides and a thick mattress. Curious activists. low sides so as not to limit the view. A pet in a rich fur coat will be hot in a fur lounger.
Patterns and process description
There is nothing difficult to sew a sunbed from several parts. For example, from a rectangular bottom and four stripes for the sides, this is the standard version, uncomplicatedly convenient and suitable for dogs of any size:
Option 1, classic
But you can cut the most painstaking and difficult part of the work. stitching the parts together. You will have to devote a little more time to cutting, but cutting out is easier and easier than cutting and sewing. The picture below shows how to sew a lounger (rectangular or square with sides) using just one piece:
- Cut out two rectangles from a solid canvas. To find out the dimensions, add the height of the sides (from 4 sides) to the desired dimensions of the berth;
- Cut off the corners as in the picture. Or leave it if the density of the filler allows you to make a fold;
- We sew parts along the perimeter of the bottom, on three sides. We put the filler in the resulting “”, sew up the last side of the bottom;
- We fill the sides, we sew. We get a rectangle with pot-bellied protrusions;
- In the corners, we insert zippers with clamps or drawstrings. The clasp pulls the edges and raises the sides vertically. the lounger is ready! When it’s hot, the cozy lounger can be turned into a mattress by lowering the sides.
If you sew the joints tightly in those places where, according to the idea of the lightning, you get an ordinary rectangular bed with sides from one piece. If you do not cut out the corners and do not raise the sides, you get a cozy lounger-mattress:
Option 2, removable with elastic
The following pattern for a dog bed seems more complicated, but in reality everything is very simple. It turns out an option with a pallet, which can be used as a wooden or plastic box. And even a tight box is suitable for small dogs. You can paste over it with tape in several layers. the cardboard will last longer. It will turn out like this, but in a rectangular shape:
Wide ribbed sides will hide a box or box completely, so you don’t have to look for something visually decent. Before making a sunbed, make sure that the selected box is not cramped for the dog. soft sides will reduce the space. Now measure the box. bottom length / width (inside) and side height. The outer sides of the lounger should be slightly longer, because Gathering with an elastic band eats up a couple of centimeters. We transfer the pattern to the fabric, you will need two parts.
- We sew the bottom on three sides, lay with filler, sew up;
- We fill with padding polyester (or whatever you like) the inner walls of the lounger, sew it up. Now the outer walls, and we also sew. Longitudinal seam between the inner and outer walls will allow the cover to bend without clumping the filler and fabric.
- We sew the joints of the sides to make a cover. We put it on the box, insert the rubber band and pull it so that the edges of the bed fit snugly against the sides of the box, but the cover could be removed if desired without breaking the elastic.
Option 3, sleeping in the clouds
Oval or round loungers are even easier to assemble. Again two details. two identical circles / ovals. Detail size: sleeping area height of sides.
- We lay the bottom with filler and tightly sew the two parts together, along the inner circle;
- We fill the side and sew, passing an elastic band or lace along the edge of the outer circle. If you divide the board into “s” (sewn with transverse seams at an equal distance), the bed will turn out to be more voluminous and softer;
- We tighten the elastic by lifting the side. Done!
Cut out the details
According to this scheme, even a beginner can sew a dog bed. Only one piece of the pattern is used here. This eliminates the painstaking work itself. stitching several parts together.
How to cut:
- Two details are drawn and cut out on paper;
- On a wide table, lay the fabric face down;
- The details of the pattern are laid out on the surface of the fabric;
- Control lines and points are drawn along the contour of the paper with chalk;
- After that, the patterns are removed, the correct dimensions are checked again and the parts are cut out along the lines.
Lounger with sides: step by step instructions
Before sewing a bench with a round side (sofa, bed), the dog is measured taking into account the extended front paws, add another 10 cm to this value.This parameter will be the length of the berth.
For work you will need:
- Material and padding;
- Paper or old wallpaper for patterns;
- Safety pins, a needle, scissors, strong thread;
- Ruler, chalk or pencil.
Otherwise the packing inside the cover will collect in lumps.
Lounger with sides
How to choose material
The material should be comfortable for a house pet (pug, Yorkie and other small breeds): not irritate the skin and not make unpleasant squeaks and rustles. You also need to think about resistance to constant rubbing, clawing, washing and cleaning.
The best options for smooth-haired dogs are fuzzy materials that store and retain heat. These are velor, flock, plush, felt or velveteen. For warm-loving dogs, the bed can be made of short-haired faux fur, but this option will not work for pets prone to allergies.
For dogs with long coats, it is best to choose a material that is smooth but durable. Ideal for: linen, bumazeye, jeans, tapestry.
For stuffing use foam rubber, holofiber, batting or synthetic winterizer. It is better to refuse down, feathers and hay. They quickly accumulate parasites and microbes.
Synthetic fabric builds up static electricity and will scare the animal from time to time. Allergy develops on synthetics several times faster. Also, do not decorate the bed with small accessories, the dog can gnaw and swallow them.
Patterns and sewing scheme of a cradle bed for a dog
How to sew a do-it-yourself dog bed
In this article I will tell you how to sew a dog bed with your own hands from scrap materials. I will help you choose the material and determine the size, I will give a pattern and step-by-step instructions for cutting and sewing, I will give a master class on sewing. I will review the original pet beds.
- Lounger with sides: step by step instructions
- How to choose material
- Cut out the details
- Sewing and stuffing
- The advantages of a do-it-yourself bed
- Review of original dog beds
Sewing and stuffing
To make the sleeping place more neat, first it is better to work with a needle. to sew the details with large and straight stitches.
- Details of the bottom are sewn around the perimeter from three sides;
- On the remaining side, fill with packing, sew;
- Sewing and stuffing the sides;
- At the corners to fix the sides to the base, zippers or ties are sewn from laces, braids or pieces of used material.
The result is a couch with falling bumpers. The clasps pull and raise the sides vertically. In the heat, you can lower them and get a spacious and comfortable mattress.
You should get such a sleeping place. Here the craftsman did not cut corners when cutting. This can be done if the density of the filler allows you to make a fold.
Lounger with descending sides
You can refuse fasteners and just sew all corners tightly. Then you get a place with fixed sides, like this.
The lounger should be secluded but accessible for cleaning.
The advantages of a do-it-yourself bed
This is important for proper socialization, prevention of inflammatory diseases of the joints and just for the comfort of the pet.
Homemade beds have a number of advantages:
- Ideal for the size of the dog;
- Substantial savings;
- Possibility to choose the material, the color of which is suitable for the interior of the house;
- The choice of the shape of the bed for the room;
- The ability to choose the texture of the material based on the characteristics of the pet: coat length, tendency to allergies, thermophilicity.
When choosing a berth, they are not limited only by the size of the dog, it is important to consider the posture during sleep or rest. Regardless of the breed, a pet (Labrador, Husky, Boxer, etc.) may prefer a soft or hard base. All this can be taken into account when making a homemade couch.
Sleeping place for a dog
Review of original dog beds
It is ideal if the sleeping bed is in good harmony with the style of the interior. it does not cause the feeling of a random thing. You can dream up and arrange a place for a dog from completely unexpected objects.
A practical option is for an eco-style interior or a summer cottage. You just need to treat the old box with a protective impregnation, apply the pet’s initials using a stencil and paint. Then place a suitable pillow inside.
Do not rush to throw out your old suitcase with a rigid frame. It will match any decor, creating a unique vintage corner. You can unfasten the covers or simply lift and fix them on the wall, and lay the bedding inside.
An old bedside table or chest of drawers can become a cozy place for a pet to sleep and rest. By the way, they can be painted to match the interior background or aged. To arrange a convenient place, all the lower parts are dismantled and the bedding is laid out at the bottom.
A good and practical option for small breeds. The owner’s clothes keep his smell for a long time. the pet will feel closeness and less boredom during his absence.
Believe me, a four-legged friend will surely appreciate your efforts and will thank you with love.
There is also such an option: a painted tire with a litter laid inside. This is a very controversial decision. An old tire gives off toxic substances, especially at elevated room temperatures. The dog can get sick.
I made a bed with sides two years ago from velor. My dog practically does not shed, so I wash it once every two months with safe detergents. Shake or tape twice a week. The bed still looks good. there are no signs of wear. I think that it will last another year, and the dog will not have to get used to a new place.
How to make a hammock?
A homemade hammock bed is convenient in that it does not interfere with air circulation from below, and the presence of a canopy, depending on the model, allows shading. Pet hammocks can be very diverse in the way they are attached. For example, they can be conventional floor-mounted, or they can be mounted to a battery or attached to a window pane. In the latter case, the fasteners are large suction cups that firmly hold the compact couch.
Such modifications can be made from thick wire or pipe. A frame is created from it with hooks, by means of which it will be attached, for example, to a radiator. The frame must be large enough to accommodate the animal. After the frame is bent, they start sewing the textile cover by taking measurements on the finished frame. For easy washing or cleaning, the cover can be sewn with a Velcro fastener. Next, it remains only to put the cover on the frame and fix the bench with hooks on the battery.
If there is enough space between the battery and the wall, you can make a wooden frame with supports hiding behind the battery. For the rest, it remains to simply sew a cover made of dense fabric or pull an old sweater over the frame, hiding its sleeves inside the resulting hammock. If there is a chair with high legs at home, it is perfect as a ready-made frame for a future design. You will need to sew a canvas to it and fix its ends to the crossbars.
An original solution can be a couch suspended from the ceiling. over, it can be either one-tier or two or even three floors. A characteristic feature of such products is the narrowing of the size upward. For the manufacture of such couches, textiles, foam rubber, synthetic winterizer are used. The product can be attached to the ceiling hook by means of wide thick textile bands. It is difficult to call such beds comfortable, but cats are not afraid of difficulties: in a day they manage to lie down wherever possible.
The bed for the cat is the place where the animal sleeps. This is a kind of interpretation of furniture for relaxation or your own sleeping place, where no one will bother, drive or push the animal. Feeling this, the cat will be more often in its corner. This is good, because whatever the breed, in the whole apartment or house, wool will be localized to a greater extent in the lounger.
There will be not so much of it on upholstered furniture, and in bed, which means that not only cleaning will be simplified. In addition, there will be less wool on household clothing, which will extend its durability and aesthetic appeal. Thus, buying or making a bed will save pet owners from many worries. Depending on the type of model, the cat bed can become not only a resting place for a cat, but also a zone for the development of a game complex.
For example, it is here that a pet will be able to sharpen its claws, to fiddle with a soft bedding with its paws, which will help preserve the upholstered furniture in the house. In addition, the presence of a scratching post can also save the wallpaper that domestic cats like to spoil so much.
To understand what exactly can be done for your pet, you need to have an idea of what kind of beds are. The couch can be a flat pillow of round, oval, square, and sometimes heart-shaped. Options with a large thickness are called puffs. These beds are thicker but equally comfortable for cats.
Apart from them, the bed can be like a small crib with sides. Here the form can be very diverse. As a rule, rarely any housewife chooses a simple basis in caring for her pet. Themed products look much more interesting in the interior of the room, for example, in the form of a large shoe, a pumpkin, a book, a soft toy. This is both unusual, and cats have a place to hide, because many of them love to sit in ambush during games.
Some models are similar to a semi-cottage: such beds have not only a soft cushion and sides, but also a partial roof. Fully closed products imply the presence of a kind of hole with a place inside for a comfortable location of the pet. The most open options are hammock beds.
Making a scratching post house
In the classic version, the scratching post is a pipe wrapped in a jute rope. For stability, the pipe is filled with sand, putting it in a bag of dense polyethylene. A bed with a scratching post out of the box is made according to the following technology: a box of a suitable size is sealed with tape from the bottom, making a hole for entry on two sides, and gluing the bottom of the box. Bottom bends are glued with hot melt glue or construction glue.
After that, the product is supplemented with foam rubber, and then textiles. Then the structure can be glued onto a pre-prepared wooden panel (for example, a chipboard sheet) of a larger size. Next to the house, a pipe is glued or inserted into the hole made, and fixed with glue. The scratching post is wrapped with twine, trying to do it as tightly and tightly as possible so that the cat cannot tear off the rope too quickly.
A small wooden panel can be glued to the top edge of the scratching post. It can also be supplemented with foam rubber and soft bedding, and, if desired, made sides. In order for the cat to play in this corner, it is recommended to supplement it with a fluffy ball, attaching it to a strong rope.
From newspaper tubes
Plank beds for cats, made of newspaper tubes, are nothing more than a basket weaving technique. They look incredibly beautiful, although the very process of making such benches with sides is laborious and takes a lot of time. Models can have boards of different heights, be decorated with ears, look like baskets, baby carriages, large plates, Indian wigwams and full-fledged houses.
Such beds can be painted with food dyes, stained or even PVA glue diluted with water in equal proportions. To make such cat furniture, the newspaper is drawn into strips of 8-10 cm, a knitting needle is placed on them and twisted into tight tubes, having previously secured the end with glue. When weaving, one end will be inserted into the other, and therefore the product will be devoid of joints and fragile joints. At the beginning of weaving, the bottom is harvested from cardboard (in duplicate).
The tubes are glued according to the principle of a snowflake, creating a lattice through which other elements will pass. Braiding the resulting frame, they proceed to making the walls, for which a semblance of a lattice is also created with the same pitch of the glued tubes. By this principle, you can make different designs of the cat bed. At the same time, weaving can also be different. For example, for weaving the walls, you can take not one at a time, but two blanks at once.
Under the battery
Fasteners can be of a wide variety, including with rings for framing the ends of the pipe. In order for the cat to be comfortable inside, and the house itself outside also fits into the concept of the interior style, you need to select materials for upholstery and soft bedding. Given that the plastic can slide, the inner and outer parts will have to be fixed to the pipe with glue. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that there are no folds and sagging of material. this will ruin the appearance and reduce the comfort of the product.
A similar lounger can be made of wood. To be comfortable on it, it is worth picking up soft upholstery, enhancing comfort with foam rubber or a separate pad fixed to the base with Velcro. As the main textiles, you can choose towels, an old bathrobe, a soft unnecessary blanket, or even a nap rug. As for the structure itself, it can be one-, two-, and three-level. To ensure strength, you need to take care of a sufficient amount of bend of the hooks so that the product is securely attached to the battery.
Out of the suitcase
Such a base is an excellent solution for creating a cozy corner for a cat. As a rule, there is enough space for comfortable accommodation of a large animal, provided that not a thin, but an ordinary pillow is placed inside. If you wish, you can upgrade the bed by adding reliable legs to it. This can be done in the simplest way. using an old stool. It can be renewed with paint or varnish, then screw a suitcase through to it, and put a mattress sewn on the bottom of it.
If you don’t want to screw on the legs, you can simply glue one side of the suitcase to the stool seat using extra strong construction glue. It is not difficult to sew a mattress: they measure the size of the bottom of the future bed, cut it out of foam rubber and fabric (for textiles, allowances for seams are added). After that, they sew a cover, put it on the foam rubber, and close the space left for threading with hand stitches.
If you wish, you can make not only a one-, but also a two-story lounger from a suitcase. To do this, it is divided into two parts, a frame made of wood is created and both blanks are attached to it at a distance sufficient for the animal to fit on the lower tier.
Master class on knitting a lounger in the shape of a cheesecake
Such a lounger can be made from an old sweater and any filler that you have at home. It can be stuffing an old blanket, pillows (synthetic winterizer, holofiber will do). Step-by-step instructions for making a round bed for your pet on your own will consist of several successive steps.
- If the sweater has a collar, it is cut off and the neck is sewn up. You need to use strong threads (preferably reinforced).
- After that, a line is laid over the chest, making sure that the distance from the neck to the line is equal to the width of the sleeves.
- Now you need to fill the future sides with the existing filler. This must be done evenly, otherwise the sidewalls will look untidy.
- Having a base with loose sides, you can start packing the base. But before that, you can strengthen the bottom of the future bed. To do this, it would be good to use thick cardboard, placing it between two pieces of sweater.
- To make it more comfortable for the animal to be in a lounger, you can add a synthetic winterizer or holofiber inside.
- After that, the bottom is packed and the work is completed. The sleeves are connected into a ring and ringed with the resulting sidewall, fastened with needles to connect without folds.
- You can sew on the sides with hand stitches with a double thread. If you have loosely filled the garment with filler, you can try to sew a stitch on a sewing machine.
- At the end of the work, you must make sure that all needles are removed, the threads must be cut. Do-it-yourself soft bed for a cat is ready.
Do-it-yourself cat bed
- How to make from scrap materials?
- How to make a hammock?
- Making a scratching post house
- Master class on knitting a lounger in the shape of a cheesecake
- Sewing a berth with sides
- Helpful hints
- Beautiful examples and ideas
Every pet owner knows that a pet needs its own bed, a place where you can relax and unwind. For example, cats in search of the best place in the house often try all beds and every piece of upholstered furniture. However, none of them will refuse the bed, and even more so if it is done with their own hands with love and care. Let’s look at the options for making a cat lounger based on its varieties and purpose.
So that your cat can settle down in its corner with maximum comfort, it is worth taking note of a few useful recommendations.
- The bed must be done thoughtfully, take care that the bottom does not get wet from below. This is especially important if your pet is still small and not litter-trained.
- Not every old thing is suitable for a bed and will be really warm. Please note that warm clothes lose their heat-warming properties with each wash.
- Cats are picky about the material of the bed. Take a closer look at what your pet likes, on what surfaces it sits more often, where it sleeps, stretching and pulling the fabric with its paws. Choose just such textiles.
- Do not use loose fabric or bouclé fabric for making: it will not last long, such upholstery is short-lived. If possible, make a case with a zipper.
- If you plan to not only clean, but also wash the product as needed, try to make removable covers. You can not wash the bed, which will be based on cardboard.
- Pay attention to the type of bed filler. Woolen padding shrinks with any wash, you also need to know this, as well as the fact that the synthetic winterizer will collect in lumps with each wash.
- Textiles for manufacturing must be durable, with a dense weave of threads. You cannot use silk or satin in work. such a bed will quickly overgrow with puffs.
- You can use old polyurethane foam from the mattress to strengthen the cardboard beds.
- If you have skills in sewing, the cover for the couch can be made double. For example, you can combine a fabric with a padding polyester and sew it on a typewriter, bringing together all the details.
Step-by-step master class of the process of sewing a dog bed
If you are interested in an excellent bed for a dog, then you cannot do without materials and a step-by-step master class.
Tools and materials
Before you start sewing a comfortable resting place for your four-legged pet, prepare:
- The fabric is the main material, you can choose it according to your own taste and artistic idea: nylon, old fur coat, cotton, velor;
- The filler will be silicone or foam rubber, but straw or hay is the optimal medium for the reproduction of skin parasites;
- Fabric for removable items and cover;
- Sheets of paper for drawing patterns;
- Needles, scissors and thread.
We sew a model with sides
This master class is suitable for both large dogs and small breeds.
- Take a piece of cloth of the right size.
- On a piece of paper, draw a rectangle or oval and sides, as in the photo.
- Using the pattern, transfer the silhouettes of the future dog bed onto the fabric.
- Cut out all the elements along the contour, sew together, and fill with filler.
- We recommend that you take the time and sew a zipper into the base or make lacing.
- Cut the cover out of the fabric according to the same blank, but a couple of cm more on each side. You can sew elastic bands to the cover for convenience.
Basic recommendations before starting sewing
Before you sew a dog bed, you should read a few useful practical tips:
- The longer the fur of the animal, the easier it is to choose the structure for cleaning: the easiest way to clean is plastic bases with removable covers;
- Follow the pet, evaluate its temperament: open places are suitable for active ones, and for those who are prone to solitude, build closed places;
- Consider the size in advance, but be prepared that an initially small “mongrel” can grow into a large dog.
Bed in the form of a pillow
It is easy to sew a place for a dog with sides, but you can turn the procedure elementary.
- The pattern of the dog bed is drawn on paper, taking into account the previously measured dimensions of the pet (preferably with a margin);
- Transfer the design to the fabric and cut out two identical pieces;
- Sew on three sides, and fill the resulting gap with filler, then sew on the 4th side.
- In the same way, work on sewing the pillowcase, only increase the size of the pattern by 2 cm.
Now you can sew the simplest dog bed options yourself.
A bit of creativity for dog beds
If you don’t know how to make a bed for a dog, we bring to your attention several exclusive and at the same time budget ideas for products that you definitely will not find in your neighbors or friends.
- Outdated suitcase bed;
- A bed made of old furniture, whether it be an old chair, a coffee table, a bench or a console, and for a large dog, a kitchen table is also suitable;
- An improvised house can even be equipped from an old bedside table or chest of drawers;
- From a sweater that is not the first freshness, you will get a first-class bed for a dog;
- Pallets or barrels will do;
- For those who like to “be creative”, we offer to build a dog bed from a tire.
Advantages of the handmade dog bed
Of the advantages of homemade sun beds, we note:
- Having decided to sew a dog bed with your own hands, you will definitely take into account all the anatomical features, weight and size of the pet;
- If the dog still strives to get into the master’s bed, then sewing a cozy corner will discourage the animal from such a need;
- A rag or jacket literally becomes unusable in a week, but a solid base covered with foam rubber and fabric is durable;
- Handmade bed-bed is a must to care for the health and comfort of the dog.
Do-it-yourself dog beds: caring for a faithful friend
A dog is man’s best friend, and friends should be respected. Is your beloved pet still sleeping in a cardboard box covered with rags, from which it carries a dog a mile away? Give your friend quite a bit of time and energy. make a comfortable and beautiful sunbed. Believe me, a four-legged friend will surely appreciate your efforts, will thank you with love and devotion. Today in the article we will consider how to make interesting dog beds with our own hands, we will present a master class with a photo and a process.
Unusual decor of cozy dog beds
We bring to your attention some interesting ideas for arranging personal space for your pet. By modernizing the proposed options, you can also create do-it-yourself cat beds quickly and inexpensively.
- You put a pillow in a wicker basket, and weave decor into the walls. If you wish, you can cut cardboard around the perimeter of the basket, paste over it with foam rubber and trim it with a bright cloth. This removable “protection” insulates the basket and can be easily washed.
- From the bedside table, you can arrange a cozy place for your pet. Just take out the drawers, and put a pillow or a piece of fur coat inside.
- If you have an old monitor or TV, then you can arrange a place for your pet by taking a fresh look at the technique. Take out the insides, leaving the frame. Cover with foam rubber inside, put a pillow. This option is suitable for a bitch and a dog of small sizes, and can be considered as a temporary shelter for a small puppy.
- A hammock made of a folding crosspiece and a coverlet stretched over it. This mobile version is suitable for a dog or a small bitch.
- In an old suitcase, replace the worn-out lining with a new one, more suitable for the modern design of the apartment. Put a soft pillow inside, and put toys in the s or come up with any other decor.
- An unnecessary wooden box will make the perfect house for a dog. Drive in all the protruding nails, remove a couple of boards from the future front side, paint over the surface with the necessary acrylic paints.
- Everyone has an old sweater, jacket or golf course in their closet. They can also be used for work. Sew up the neck of the sweater, and then sew the holes of the sleeves so that an arc forms. Stuff with filler, then lay the sleeves like bumpers and baste. Sew the product.
- Many types of furniture are suitable for creativity. You can take out the drawers from the old chest of drawers, paint the base and put a soft pillow for your pet, or even hang a curtain.
- For a large dog, secure and then sew two pillows using a homemade sewn pillowcase.
That’s all, a cozy rookery for a cute puppy or faithful adult dog is ready. Surely apartment residents will appreciate the purchased item not only from the point of view of comfort, but also from the aesthetic side.