mesh 12.7×12.7 roll 5m. 1050 RUB (bought in OBI, if you buy in running meters it is cheaper)
A frame is assembled from a 20×20 bar. In my case, an aviary with a size of 2000×900 and side frames 900×800 (height 800).
A galvanized mesh is pulled over the frames. Fastened with self-tapping screws. The bar frame is reinforced with metal corners.
the base of the aviary. linoleum is not slippery texture.
Hinges are used to disassemble the enclosure and organize the gate.
In my case, the aviary was made three-walled, the fourth wall is the balcony wall, which is additionally planned to be protected with oilcloth or other easily washable material.
Diet for fattening bulls
It is most advisable to grow young animals intended for fattening up to 1520 months of age. In the last 3 months before slaughter, it is necessary to ensure.
How To Make A Simple Outside Rabbit Run. And Sad Free-Range Rabbit Update :. (
How to feed pigs properly
In most cases, families of collective farmers, workers and employees are engaged in raising and fattening young pigs. The Model Charter of the collective farm says that the family.
DIY cages and pens
I really want to make a cage for my bunny, there are several options and I don’t know which one to stop. So, What will you decide here are a few cells
Rabbits are brought up for various reasons. The one who keeps the rabbit as a pet, of course, will build for him not at all such a dwelling as the one for whom the long-eared pet is only source of meat and a supplier of skin. Since most of the premises are self-built, you can find a variety of options. from a converted vegetable box to a luxurious house with carved shutters. But still, some rules must be followed strictly:
Rabbits, even decorative ones, are very useful to keep outdoors in summer. Even if you do not want to leave your pet on the Rabbits move freely between the barn and the aviary. In addition, I never touched the young animals with my hands, all the rabbits had the process of cleaning and disinfecting the enclosures for keeping rizen on the video. Photo, video Cleaning and disinfection of rabbit enclosures.
They like the houses are not big (like a hole). You will need: a box (let’s say 20 by 20); fabric (only cotton) 100cm. 70cm; 30 by 30 tulle fabric. First, cut out the windows on both sides, then cut out pieces of tulle (rabbits love their houses very much and they will not break them), make curtains on the windows, and then sheathe the inside of the house with fabric. attach the edges of the fabric to the edges of the house and staple them around the perimeter with a stapler. The house is ready!
Sources: baksbani.mybb.ru, newforum.ekzotika.com, kroliki-forum.ru, soln24.ru, aboutkrolik.ucoz.com
Goose kharcho soup
Ingredients: For one chicken, turkey or goose. onions. 400 g, and separately one head, celery.
A poultry house for keeping turkeys is practically no different from a room for keeping chickens. One thing to keep in mind when setting up a poultry house.
Sheep in Australia
The most common breed of sheep raised in the mountains of Australia and New Zealand is called the Merino, a breed of fine wool sheep. 80.
Features of the
There are things that any rabbit enclosure should be equipped with in order to meet all the requirements for keeping animals.
- Feeder. It may be one, but large. The main thing is that the animals can have free access to food. Better not to provoke fights between individuals.
- Drinking bowls. There should be several of them. The more individuals there are in the aviary, the more drinkers should be. Rabbits drink a lot of water, and there should be plenty of it.
- Doors. To have easy access to the aviary and the ability to clean it up in a timely manner, to take care of the animals, the aviary must be equipped with a door.
- Canopy. It is important to provide the rabbits with some shelter from the sun. You can make a completely covered aviary or just equip a canopy in it. any option will do.
- The floor in the house. Leaving bare ground or making decking out of grass will put rabbits in mud and water when it rains. This can provoke colds. Therefore, it is recommended to build a house on a dais of wood, and cover the floor, for example, with linoleum.
- Entertainment. This is an optional part, but it will come in handy given the nature of the animals. So that they do not get bored, the breeders recommend equipping the aviary with artificial elevations, underground passages and other interesting landscape solutions to keep the rabbits busy.
To avoid unwanted fights between individual animals, as well as unwanted mating, breeders recommend keeping males separately from females. In the first days of settling in the aviary, skirmishes can occur among the males. But when they divide the territory and delineate the internal hierarchy, the fights will stop by themselves.
There are many types of rabbit enclosures:
- single-tier. the simplest placement option, suitable for a small number of animals;
It is worth choosing the type of enclosure based on the number of rabbits that will be kept in it.
Required materials and tools
In order to build a pen for rabbits with your own hands, you will need the following materials.
- Rabitz. A grid with a width of one and a half meters will do. You can choose any size of the cells, but it is worth abandoning too large. If the enclosure is fenced off with a net with large cells, rabbits may suffer or even die from suffocation. There are sure to be overly curious animals that will try to crawl through the net.
- Paint for the mesh if the mesh is not galvanized. In this case, the mesh must be painted to prevent oxidation. Otherwise, replacement will be required too quickly.
- Bar. You can choose bars with a round and square section. there is no fundamental difference. The main condition is that the diameter is not less than 5 cm and not more than 10 cm. The beam will serve as support posts for the fence, and the frame of the house for animals can also be assembled from it. It is also permissible to use metal structures for support.
- Planks or metal slats for the enclosure frame.
- Boards or slabs. Will be needed to build a house for rabbits. They are nailed to the frame, knocked down from the beams.
- Mineral wool. If rabbits are planned in the aviary in winter, the house for animals is insulated with cotton.
- Linoleum or boards. They will go to the flooring of the house.
- Polyethylene whip. Cheap material for waterproofing.
- Roofing material, slate, profiled sheets. Used to upholster the roof of a rabbit house and canopy. If the house is inside the enclosure and the animals have access to the roof, it should not be upholstered with soft materials. Rabbits love to spend time on a dais and will constantly climb onto the house. If the roof material is too soft, they will tear it apart with their claws and the roof will become unusable.
- Metal corners, screws, self-tapping screws, door hinges, latch or hook for locking it.
- Crushed rubble for burying a trench (if the hedge is dug into the ground).
- Coarse sand (if the floor of the aviary is concreted).
From tools you will need a saw or jigsaw, drill, screwdriver, shovel, tape measure, screwdrivers.
The presence of fur allows rabbits to tolerate low temperatures, which makes them much easier at any time of the year. Depending on the period when the rabbits are planned, you can choose 2 types of accommodation for the animals:
outdoors in an open cage is suitable only for the warm season: spring, summer and autumn. In winter, the rabbits on the street will die, so they need to be moved to an insulated room. For example, in a barn. Yes, rabbits have fur, but in cold weather they still run the risk of catching a cold or frostbite ears. The shed must first be checked for cracks and gaps, eliminate them and insulate. The floor is made on a dais, it is covered with boards, and a thick layer of straw is poured on top. If the temperature in the barn drops too much, additional heating must be provided.
It is necessary to create good ventilation in the barn and ensure sunlight without compromising thermal insulation.
The device of the open-air cage-pit
This is how a house for a bunk rabbit enclosure may look like. Schematic representation of an aviary for keeping rabbits in winter.
Arrangement of an aviary with a separate room for females with offspring.
How to make a rabbit enclosure?
For keeping rabbits, an aviary is rightfully considered an excellent solution. It makes the animals easy to care for: they are much easier to clean and keep in order. This content provides ample space for movement and play. It is also believed that rabbits living in an aviary grow stronger and less likely to get sick, because such conditions are similar to natural.
The aviary is easy to build with your own hands, you just have to adhere to the detailed instructions. and there will be no problems. The pen for animals should be spacious enough so that they are not cramped and uncomfortable in it. It is recommended to calculate the total area of the enclosure based on 1-1.5 sq. m per individual. Rabbits, despite their size, jump very high. The jump height of the animal can be up to 1.5 meters. Therefore, if you leave the top of the enclosure open, make it high enough so that the rabbits do not run away or get hurt.
When arranging an aviary for rabbits, you need to take into account the behavioral features of these animals. Rabbits love to dig holes, so when building an aviary, the mesh must be buried in the ground half a meter deep. To do this, before starting the construction of the aviary, you need to dig a trench of the indicated depth.
For supporting pillars, you need to dig holes in the corners of the future aviary and around the entire perimeter. The number of support pillars depends on the area of the enclosure, they must be installed at the rate of one pillar per 2-3 meters of the fence. The pillars are installed in pits and covered with earth. If the support pillars are made of wood rather than metal, the ends of such pillars must be processed. Machine oil or drying oil are ideal, bitumen is absolutely not suitable. it will block the access of oxygen and provoke rotting of the supports.
Next, you need to assemble a frame from boards or metal slats in the form of frames. To fasten the frames, metal corners and self-tapping screws are used. Pull the mesh over the assembled frames. If the aviary will be made without a concrete screed, the frames must be made taking into account the fact that they will be buried 0.5 meters in the ground. Together with the fence, you need to make a door for the aviary according to the same principle, but you can also make it from plywood. The finished frames with mesh and doors are fixed on the support posts. If the mesh is buried in a trench, you need to fill it up with rubble, then earth and tamp it.
If you do not want to bury the net in the ground, you can differently ensure that the rabbits do not have access to the ground and attempts to dig it. In this case, the floor is filled with concrete screed. You can make the floor with planks or cover with linoleum. But the last 2 options will live much less than the concrete one. Therefore, if the plans include long-term use of the enclosure for its intended purpose, it is better to give preference to concrete.
A concrete screed is poured into a pre-dug pit. The depth should not be more than 30 cm. Sand about 5 cm thick is poured into the bottom, and then a screed with a thickness of 4-5 cm is poured. The screed is mixed from concrete with gravel and sand. The floor must be poured taking into account the slope to drain the water. Access to the ground for rabbits is blocked by a net. The next stage is the roof.
The aviary can be built fully covered or with a canopy over a portion of the pen to protect rabbits from unwanted sun. For the roof, you also need to make a frame, but with crossbars. A covering material (for example, roofing material) is nailed onto this frame. The roof can be made folding. for this it is attached to hinges like a door to the fence frame.
A rabbit house is assembled in much the same way. The frame is assembled, upholstered with boards or croaker. It is imperative to provide waterproofing on the floor. for this, use plastic wrap. It is better to put the house on an elevation to avoid water and dirt getting into it. It can be made one-tier, two-tier or three-tier. The house inside can be divided into several rooms using jumpers. This ensures the separation of males and females.
The house can be placed on the territory of the aviary, or you can equip it outside. In the latter case, you need to ensure the transition from the pen to the house in such a way that the rabbits cannot escape, dig a tunnel or crawl into some kind of gap.
If the aviary is planned for the winter keeping of rabbits, the house must be insulated. Also, the house should be arranged in such a way that it would not be difficult for you to clean it.
Aviaries must be periodically disinfected and cleaned up in a timely manner to avoid the occurrence and spread of infections among rabbits. For disinfection, it is recommended to use lye (ash solution), roots and leaves of camel thorn. They are brewed together and the aviary is treated with the broth. It is necessary to clean and rinse the feeders and drinkers from time to time, monitor the cleanliness of the animal houses, and promptly clean them of feces. In the house, you need to change the litter and provide the rabbits with grass and greenery on the territory of the aviary.
It is important to monitor the quality of the water in the drinker because rabbits can contaminate the feed. In a hot period, it is better to give food in portions so that it does not spoil.
For information on how to make an aviary for rabbits, see the next video.
Rabbit enclosure floors
The floor in the aviary can be earthen, wood or concrete. The last option is considered the most practical. To pour a concrete floor, you need to perform a number of actions:
- Dig a hole 30. 40 cm deep;
- Cover the bottom with 5 cm sand;
- Tamp a sand pillow, and at regular intervals, lay blocks of wood or bricks;
- A reinforcing mesh is laid on top of the bars;
- Prepare a mortar of concrete marked with M400 cement, coarse sand and gravel;
- Pour the reinforcing layer with concrete to a level of 5 cm;
- After the concrete has hardened, the earth is poured on top of the level with the common soil.
Important! When setting up the floor in the rabbit enclosure, do not forget to make the slope at a slight angle to drain water.
Advantages of raising rabbits in aviaries
- Freedom of movement in the open air. Probably, this is one of the main advantages of aviaries, because few people like to be in a cramped stuffy cage, without sufficient lighting. Rabbits are quite frisky animals by nature, they love to run and jump.
- Economic benefit. To build a structure, you need extremely few materials. The main material is a chain-link mesh. The back of a house or barn can become an enclosure wall. Also, materials at hand are suitable for the construction.
- When keeping a large number of rabbits, an aviary is the best solution. Despite its spaciousness, it will take up much less space than massive cells. According to veterinary standards, one rabbit must have at least 1 m2 of area.
- Facilitated care of livestock and aviary. For ease of feeding, one large feeder can be built. The aviary must be cleaned once a week. With the onset of cold weather, you don’t have to worry that the animals will freeze, because they are in constant motion in spacious enclosures, which cannot be said about the cages. Farmers do not need to constantly monitor the condition of the feed. Rabbits in the fresh air, being in good physical shape, can chew even frozen grass, their digestion can cope with this task.
- The physical state. Rabbits living in open-air cages rarely get sick, actively multiply, gain weight well.
Note. You can not keep rabbits in enclosures near places where poultry (chickens, geese, ducks) are kept, due to the fact that they are prone to the same viral diseases. The difference is that birds have a fairly good immunity, which cannot be said about gentle creatures. rabbits. Such diseases can simply kill them; at best, long-term treatment will be required.
DIY rabbit aviary
In order for the work on the construction of the rabbit enclosure to go quickly and without hesitation, prepare the necessary materials and tools in advance.
- Rabitz. Give preference when buying galvanized or coated with polymers. Such material has a long service life. The cell size should be medium or small. Toddlers can climb out of the enclosure through the large openings. The net rolls have a standard width of 1. 1.5 m.The choice depends on the height of the planned structure.
- Support pillars. They are made from logs, beams or metal pipes, corners and different profiles. The cross-section of the timber is on average 5 x 5 cm or 10 x 10 cm. The choice depends on the dimensions of the enclosure. Part of the pillar made of wood, which is buried in the ground, must be treated with linseed oil. The metal pillars of the support are coated with powder or oil paint.
- For the construction of houses, moisture-resistant plywood or boards are suitable. For all-season breeding of rabbits in an aviary, you need to make insulation with mineral wool or foam. The floor is insulated with sawdust or expanded clay.
- For waterproofing the roof of the enclosure, roofing material or dense polyethylene is used. The roof itself can be built from slate or corrugated board.
How to make do-it-yourself rabbit enclosures? Review and step-by-step instructions. Instruction Video
Breeding rabbits in aviaries is becoming more and more popular. But, as they say, everything new is well forgotten old. In the last century and until its middle, this method was one of the main ones, and then cells came to replace it. Why are the rabbit enclosures trying to revive? This method of breeding furry animals has a number of significant advantages over cage breeding.
One of the main advantages of aviaries is the elementary structure and ease of its construction. If desired, everyone can do it on their own, and even save the family budget. You only need half a day to build a rabbit enclosure.
To understand how the open-air cage has a beneficial effect on animals, consider its pros and cons.
For breeding, spending the night, wintering in aviaries, special shelters are built in the form of houses. These are kind of nests for rabbits with a door at the entrance, jumpers inside for rabbits with offspring.
Houses are placed on a hill to ensure warmth and dryness. To do this, drive the pillars into the ground, make a strapping at the bottom and assemble a frame made of wood. Then sheathe the walls from the inside with plywood or a board, lay the next layer of insulation, then a layer of insulation, at the end again plywood or slab.
It is better to build a roof with a slight slope, so the animals can lie or sit on it. Roof insulation is carried out using roofing material or a dense film, then sheathed with roofing material. It is important to carry out this work if the aviary does not have a common roof.
At the final stage of the construction of the rabbit enclosure, doors are attached to the structure, feeders, drinkers are placed and the first batch of rabbits is launched for testing. The fixing of the drinkers is carried out directly to the net, since the animals can turn the water over, and the high humidity in the aviary has a detrimental effect on them. The size of the feeders should be such that all the inhabitants of the enclosure can eat at the same time.
Support posts in rabbit enclosures in the country
The aviary can be installed near some structure in the courtyard or placed separately. In the corners of the enclosure, you need to dig depressions for the pillars at a depth of at least 40 cm. The step of installing the supports should be 2. 2.5 m. I fill the pillars with crushed stone or concretize them. Then proceed to fastening the crossbars. The lower bar is fixed at the bottom of the post, and the upper one at a height that corresponds to the width of the mesh or the height of the structure.
The chain-link is fastened using special clamps, nails, welding, or whatever is convenient for you. If desired, the mesh is pulled over the top using the same methods. But it is better to make a full-fledged roof capable of providing protection from atmospheric precipitation.
rabbits in aviaries
In order for the rabbit enclosure to function successfully, novice farmers should arm themselves with some knowledge of the correct keeping of the livestock.
- First of all, young males of the same age, or females with offspring, are placed in a new aviary. It is impossible to allow the joint content of heterosexual individuals, otherwise battles may arise between them. Also, in veterinary medicine there is a concept of the prohibition of incest, from which weak or completely unviable offspring are born.
- Males and females who have entered childbearing age should preferably be kept separately. For this, one aviary is divided using a chain-link into several sections.
- Build a rabbit mating compartment in the enclosure. Also, it should have a place for a queen cell for rabbits in an aviary.
- It is permissible to keep several females with offspring in one enclosure. Rabbits lose the ability to distinguish their offspring from others and begin to feed everyone indiscriminately. This is only for the benefit of the younger generation, because, thus, they acquire a stable immunity to various diseases, gain weight well and rarely get sick, the quality of fur improves.
- From above, it is advisable to cover the aviary with a chain-link or other material for the roof. This rule is due to the fact that rabbits are very jumpy. Also, it will help to protect the livestock from foxes, dogs, cats, and also protects from bad weather.
- Given the tendency of rabbits to dig holes, it is better to make the floor in the aviary concrete or wood. If the floor is earthen, it is worth deepening the chain-link mesh 50 cm into the ground to prevent escape.
- Make sure that the rabbits do not fight with each other. Open, bleeding wounds are dangerous, as they can enter the body through infections. Farmers who raise fur animals for fur in particular should watch out for this, because as a result of fights, the skin can be severely damaged.
How to build a walk in Rabbit run / Aviary.
Note. Farmers note one pattern. rabbits kept in large enclosures have much tastier meat than their cage brothers.
To make a wooden house with your own hands, you need:
- Cut the slats of the desired size (depending on the size of the animal) and knock down the frame (you should get a cube) using self-tapping screws.
- Cut the planks of the desired height and nail them along the entire perimeter of the frame close to each other (so that the pet does not get stuck).
- According to the same principle, make a door and put it on hinges on one of the four walls.
- Cover the floor with a thick cloth.
- Put toys, a blanket (sleeping place), a toilet, a bowl inside.
Do it yourself
In order not to spend extra money, the apartment aviary can be made with your own hands at home. The main thing is to choose the right place for the location of the dwelling, size and material.
It is forbidden to place such a playpen near batteries or other heating devices, near an open flame. The material must be non-toxic and durable (the pet will simply chew through the fabric).
As for the sizes, they are selected individually depending on the size of the dog.
- For a small puppy, a design with a height of 40 cm and an area of 0.5 square meters is suitable.
- For small breeds, indoor houses are made up to 80 cm in height with an area of 2.5 square meters (if a large apartment).
- It is not recommended to make a dwelling less than 0.5 square meters, since the pet needs free space, and also in the aviary you need to place a bowl of food, a toilet, a sleeping place and toys.
If you decide to make a home for your pet with your own hands, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the instructions that will facilitate the task.
We offer options for the manufacture of the two most common types of structures for keeping dogs in an apartment.
Why does a dog need an aviary in an apartment?
An apartment enclosure is a necessary attribute for small breed dogs or puppies, which can be used:
- In the absence of the owner, so that the dog feels protected.
- In order to train the dog to the toilet and the plate.
- If these attributes are in the same place in the enclosure, the dog begins to get used to this order of things, which will save you from cleaning the “marks” in the corners.
- The design is needed to protect your property from your pet’s teeth. If you put special toys in there, the dog will happily chew on them, not your couch.
- An irreplaceable thing if you have other animals or small children in your house. He will not allow a dog to fight with a cat and protect the child from the sharp claws and teeth of the dog.
- Also, the aviary is used to isolate a sick pet or when raising a puppy (with excessive aggression; if the puppy constantly jumps onto your bed).
- The design will enable you to keep track of the puppy.
- The aviary is indispensable for a dog during the period of feeding puppies.
Tools and materials
Features of the
Among the three popular methods of breeding rabbits (cage, pit and aviary) in our country, the aviary has taken root the least. This is due to both the peculiarities of the local climate and the lack of knowledge and experience among novice rabbit breeders.
There was a lot of discussion, books and articles were written on the topic of which method is better. An unambiguous answer has not yet been given. Correct organization of rabbit breeding in enclosures requires less time and effort to care for the animals. But on a free site, it is difficult to control the health of pets, which often becomes the reason for the loss of the entire livestock. Let’s consider the pros and cons in more detail.
Anyone can make an aviary for rabbits with their own hands. All it takes is a little time, available materials and suitable space.
- mesh netting with a cell 25 × 25 mm;
- wooden beam or board;
- screws, nails;
- flat or plain slate;
- tools for working with wood;
- metal pegs, pipes or supports. 1.8 meters high;
- sawdust or chopped straw;
- tools as needed.
- Select the required site, taking into account all the requirements for the construction of an aviary. Calculate the area and clear it of unnecessary plantings and shrubs.
- Make markings, install metal pegs or pipes around the perimeter of the site, taking into account the placement of the entrance.
- We make a recess along the entire perimeter of the enclosure to a depth of 60. 80 cm. We install slate along the perimeter in the recesses, fix the connections with self-tapping screws. We dig in and level the surface.
- Pull the mesh on the metal supports along the entire perimeter. We install doors. They can also be made from mesh.
- Sew up the far wall of the aviary with a board.
- Remove the top layer of earth (10-15 cm), lay a layer of sand, fix the mesh, and lay the bedding. Also, the floor can be left earthen, covered with a litter.
- Near a solid wall we make a wooden scaffold from a bar or slats, we install houses and queen cells.
- We fix the feeders and drinkers. The device of the enclosure is completed, you can move in the tenants.
Rabbits are inherently mobile and active animals, so they often get sick in the cages due to lack of movement. The free space of the aviary allows pets to lead a lifestyle close to natural conditions. This has a beneficial effect on the development of young animals and the strengthening of the immune system. It has been proven that rabbits in an aviary are stronger and more resistant to disease than their cage counterparts.
Many advantages are given to rabbits in open-air cages and to humans. First of all, the breeder needs to spend less time and energy on maintaining cleanliness and feeding the animals. Full cleaning of the enclosure can be carried out several times a year, cleaning of droppings. no more than twice a week. Animal droppings are mixed with soil and litter to form a protective cushion against cold and dampness. Also, due to the common feeding system, giving feed is simplified: there is no need to pour it into individual feeders in the cages.
In open-air cages, animals are social and sociable: females, as a rule, take care of the offspring together.
Therefore, if one female for some reason cannot raise babies, others join. The chances of survival of offspring on a free site are higher than with a cage.
How to keep rabbits in an aviary and build it yourself
Aviary rabbits are a well-known and popular method of breeding animals among European farmers. It has its pros and cons, critics and admirers. The main feature of the method is that with little time and money, the animals are close to their natural habitat. For a successful housekeeping, you will need a special aviary. How to properly equip it and do it yourself, we will tell you in our review.
Like any method, the aviary has its drawbacks. They can be easily eliminated with the correct organization of the economy. However, inexperience and little knowledge often push novice farmers to implement the cage method. Experts call the rapid death of the entire livestock one of the most important disadvantages of aviary breeding of rabbits. Yes, in open-air cages, pets get sick less often, but if an infection occurs, then usually everyone dies. In an open area, it is very difficult to notice a sick eared eared in time, and with common feeders and drinkers, an infection or virus quickly spreads throughout the herd.
Correct prevention of diseases, quarantine of new individuals, timely disinfection of feeders and drinking bowls can increase the chances of success in raising rabbits in open-air cages.
Burrows and underground tunnels are another disadvantage of this method. In natural conditions, rabbits live in underground towns, therefore, when they are free-range, they have a natural desire to dig holes. But the farmer is unlikely to want to have underground tunnels and pits on his site. In addition, it complicates the control of the livestock. Therefore, so that this method does not turn into a pit-aviary cultivation, animals need to equip artificial shelters.
Aviary degrades the quality of rabbit meat, therefore it is not suitable for raising animals for meat.
Such products are distinguished by a darker color and stiffness due to developed muscles and ligaments.
In order to successfully breed rabbits in enclosures, it is important not only to reasonably equip the site, but also to properly populate the animals. Pets of the same age are placed on a separate territory at the same time. It is not recommended to settle “outsiders” as it can lead to fights and division of the territory. It is important to calculate the correct area to avoid conflicts in the herd. Before settling in, all individuals are carefully examined, preventive measures and vaccinations are carried out.
Among the grown up young, upon reaching four to five months, males are taken from the common herd and settled separately or slaughtered. Adult males and females are also kept in different enclosures. For the mating period, the male is placed in a common aviary for several days.
In the aviary, there is one common long feeder under a canopy, as well as a manger for hay. Hooks are made on the solid wall for hanging brooms. Do not scatter hay or dry feed on the ground.
Some rabbit breeders advise to properly equip the floor for the convenience of cleaning the aviary. For example, pour concrete over it or lay a fine grate on the ground on the sand. The second option is preferable and provides good drainage of urine. In such an aviary, the litter stays dry and clean for a long time. However, its layer should be at least 10 cm in order to exclude the possibility of injury and paws.
An open-air cage for breeding rabbits is a free space, fenced around the perimeter with a net. The size of the site depends on the ability of the farmer, but it is best not to make it too large or small. The optimal area is calculated on the basis of the number of livestock. One adult per 1 square meter is considered the norm. Let’s consider all the requirements in more detail.
- The territory for the aviary is chosen dry and on a hill with a slight slope. for the drainage of rainwater. The groundwater level must be below two meters.
- In order to avoid digging along the entire perimeter, the territory of the enclosure must be fenced underground. To do this, slate, boards or mesh are driven in to a depth of at least 60 cm.
- The optimal height of the fence is one and a half meters.
- There should be bedding on the territory of the aviary.
- Part of the enclosure must be placed under a canopy, where animals can hide from the rain or the scorching sun.
- A drinker, a feeder for dry feed, a manger for hay are installed on the site.
- It is imperative to make artificial shelters in the form of houses, the breeding females are equipped with queen cells.
- Males and females with offspring are kept separately to control reproduction.
- In cold regions during the winter, rabbits are kept in warm rooms. In winter, animals can be released into the enclosure only in good weather. for a walk.
- To protect pets from drafts and winds, one wall of the enclosure must be made deaf, covering with boards or plywood.
Today, there are several options for aviaries on sale that make it possible to breed rabbits both in the apartment and on the street. Let’s take a closer look at what varieties are in demand.
- Standard. Such options are perfect for location in the country. A part of the site is allocated for the aviary, it is fenced off and refined with infrastructure. A similar model is suitable for keeping a group of adults or youth.
- For pregnant. For rabbits in position, it is better to buy one-story enclosures, because it is quite difficult for them to go up and down the stairs.
- With a mother liquor. This variety is meant for birth. This is a comfortable and warm nest for future offspring. There is always water and food.
- “Dining room”. A similar enclosure is intended for feeding rabbits. Usually it is presented in the form of a fenced area. This is a street type that is not suitable for home.
- With a pit. This variety has a small depression that can be considered a resting place, although there may also be a tunnel that allows you to enter another room.
- With a greenhouse. This option is ideal for winter because it is always warm and cozy in it. The winter aviary can be equipped with everything you need, including drinkers and a container for feed.
What are rabbit enclosures and how to build them?
Many people are accustomed to the fact that cages are used for breeding rabbits, but such dwellings are slowly becoming a thing of the past, giving way to aviaries. If you choose or build an open-air cage for rabbits, then they can be kept all year round. In this article, we will consider in more detail the features of such places of detention and options for their construction.
Features of the
If it is decided to keep the animals in a special vial, you should familiarize yourself with the following nuances of a similar idea.
- Initially, you need to run juveniles or a female with babies into the pen.
- Closeness should be avoided, because if there are many rabbits in a small area, then the number of injuries and fights increases, their skin deteriorates, animals experience stress. For example, on 20 m² you can place 25 young rabbits or 5 females with rabbits in the amount of 20 to 30.
- It is not customary to keep adults and young individuals together, because quite often they begin to compete with each other.
- Rabbits usually get used to the individuals with whom they live together, but they begin to oppress the new ones. Females in position or with small rabbits deserve special attention.
- Juveniles can be transplanted into the aviary at the age of three months. This is usually done in the spring or summer, since it is at this time that the chance of getting sick is extremely low.
- Females and males should always be kept separately, but there is no need to build two aviaries, since one room can be easily divided into two parts using a partition.
- For mating, it is better to organize a separate enclosure, and 1 male is required for 5-10 females. Pregnant rabbits are not transplanted, but are left to give birth in the same enclosure.
- Arbitrary crossing should be avoided, as close relatives will have very weak offspring.
- Matured rabbits are immediately removed from the pen, and then distributed depending on gender, thereby preventing uncontrolled reproduction.
- If the animal looks bad, feels unwell, then it must be removed from the rest and proceed to immediate treatment.
- It must be remembered that females can milk not only their children, but also strangers. over, such milk has the most positive effect on the immunity of babies.
- Rabbits quite often arrange shoots: they can dig a tunnel, gnaw through the fence. Therefore, in aviaries, floors of concrete or wood are often installed, the mesh is buried half a meter into the ground, and the fence is covered with a roof or a chain-link. This will protect rabbits from dogs and foxes, as well as snow, wind and rain.
- The structure should be located away from chicken coops and poultry houses, because animals can pick up various infections from birds.
It’s no secret that outdoor walks have a positive impact on animal health.
There are two options for walking. The first is grazing, when the rabbits are looking for food on their own. The second solution is that the animals are placed in an aviary where they receive food.
Installation of supports
- The posts should be placed in the corners of the future building. They dig holes half a meter deep under them.
- Additional buildings must be placed between the main columns for reliability. Pits for them can be dug to a depth of 40 cm.
- It is recommended to maintain a distance of 2-2.5 meters between the pits.
- Further, the columns are placed in the pits and covered with rubble, then they are carefully tamped. Instead of rubble, concrete can also be used.
Advantages and disadvantages
Now let’s take a closer look at the advantages of rabbit enclosures:
- animals can play a lot, which has a positive effect on their psyche: they become calm, nervousness disappears;
- an active lifestyle has a good effect on the metabolism of animals, as a result of which their appetite increases, digestion improves, and weight gain is accelerated;
- animal breeders spend less time caring for and feeding the animals, since they are all together and there is no need to open the cages separately;
- rabbits get sick quite rarely, therefore, when kept in an aviary, you can even refuse to vaccinate;
- in freedom, rabbits have an increased desire for reproduction, and babies have a higher survival rate;
- when in the aviary, all the smells are mixed, so the rabbits take all the rabbits for their own, which has a positive effect on their immunity;
- movement contributes to the normal functioning of many organs, including the heart;
- the quality of fur and meat improves.
However, aviaries have some drawbacks.
- If one of the animals in the aviary gets sick, then there is a high probability of infection of other individuals. A sick animal should be deposited separately, but the aviary will need to be disinfected.
- If conflicts arise between adult males, then this can lead to serious consequences, since animals fight until they bleed.
- When there are several individuals in the enclosure, it becomes difficult to control the breeding process. To solve this problem, males at the dawn of strength need to be seated separately.
We fill the trench under the mesh with crushed stone, soil and tamp it well. On one side, the door should be positioned by hanging it with hinges. Then we level the floor and cover it with linoleum. For arranging the roof, a frame with crossbars is suitable. You need to take the material for the shelter and nail it to the frame of the aviary. If you plan to build a folding roof, then you will also need hinges.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to use bitumen or materials that contain it for the enclosure. This material is not environmentally friendly, does not allow air to pass through, which can cause rot and mold to appear on the walls of the enclosure.
Drawings and dimensions
The dimensions of the aviary depend on how many individuals will be there. For example, for 30 rabbits, the area of the cage should be from 25 m², for 1 animal it will take up to 1 m². If the area is not enough, then this calculation is recommended to be slightly reduced, and then up to 10 individuals can be placed in the aviary. In addition, a separate fence should be created. It is located near the aviary, and it is intended for future transplantation of males.
As for the height, here it is worth taking into account the presence or absence of a roof. If the aviary will have a retractable roof, then the height should be up to 1 meter. If the roof is not planned, then the height should be made from 1.5 to 2 meters. It is imperative to equip the aviary with a door so that the owner can go in and clean in the cage, feed the animals. It is also advisable to cover the aviary, because the rabbits are quite jumpy. To do this, you should purchase a mesh with a width of at least one and a half meters.
Be sure to think about where the drinker, feeder and other important accessories will be located.