Scottish Fold cats are insanely popular. These beauties are loved by many people who value a kind and calm character in animals. It should also be noted the surprisingly soft, plush fur of these pets. Of course, she will remain as such for many years, if you take care of the proper nutrition of the cats.
Many people are interested in what is the advantage of feeding Scots ready-made food over food from the table. It should be borne in mind that not all foods that people eat contain the required amount of essential components and vitamins. Certain foods should not be eaten by cats at all.
As for ready-made industrial feeds, they already provide for the presence of all the required vitamins and minerals. All ingredients are balanced.
In professional products, special vitamin supplements are often present, thanks to which cats do not have to give various feedings.
Ready-made food for cats of all breeds is presented in a huge assortment. Products with different tastes are made for the choice of consumers. it will not be difficult to find the perfect solution for your beloved Scotsman. With such a large selection of the cat’s menu, it will be possible to diversify, and not give him the same thing all the time.
10 Scottish Fold Facts!—#4 is often OVERLOOKED!
Ready-made food does not need to be prepared for the Scottish Fold cat. You just need to put them in a bowl and that’s it. The main thing is to choose for your pet what suits him best. a dry or wet treat.
One can “get lost” in a large assortment of branded feeds, which is why many owners are wondering which product will be the best and most suitable. It is important to build on the feed class here. The main thing is not to give pets economy class treats, as they can cause serious harm to the health of pets, especially if you constantly feed the animal with such products.
Fold-eared Scots should be fed with high-quality branded premium or super-premium food 2-3 times a day. this is the standard norm. If the diet for the cat is prepared correctly, then the pet will be healthy and energetic. Meat should always be the basis of nutrition, regardless of whether you are giving ready-made feed or resorting to natural fresh products.
There are things that Scottish Fold cats cannot be given, like most representatives of other breeds. Prohibited items include sugar, salt, stabilizers, flavors and other similar additives. Such ingredients should be avoided when choosing good food for Scots. They can be especially dangerous in relation to a small kitten.
It is also necessary to monitor the temperature of the food. It shouldn’t be too cold or hot. Room temperature is optimal. The consistency must also be correct. If you feed a kitten of the specified breed, then he should be given food in a well-chopped form. Closer to 6 months, you can give the kitten food consisting of larger elements.
From the same time, it is permissible to give dry food. they will no longer harm the milk teeth of babies.
Description of feed
There are several options for food suitable for Fold Scots, namely:
- wet and semi-wet.
Dry food is rightfully recognized as the most popular. The granules that make up these products have a long shelf life. They do not need to be prepared, boiled or stewed beforehand. they are immediately poured into bowls and after that they can be eaten. The main thing is to remember that such delicacies should not be given to very small kittens.
While the Scottish babies still have milk teeth, they will not be able to chew the granules normally. When teeth loosen and change, the gums can be severely injured while eating these types of foods. When the teeth have already erupted and grow, dry food can lead to damage to the bite and curvature of the incisors. this is very important to consider.
Sometimes kittens (this happens with adult cats) do not chew the granules, but immediately swallow them whole. There is nothing good from such meals. As a result, this can lead to a number of problems:
- overeating. until the granules become bulky with the right amount of moisture, the animal will not feel full, even if the portion was calculated correctly;
- constipation due to dehydration.
For adults, dry food is great. They not only nourish the animals, but they also work like a toothbrush, cleaning their teeth as well as massaging their gums. Often, dry food pellets are used to reward mustachioed friends during training and various educational processes.
But dry food, used as the main food, will definitely require a large intake of liquid from the cat. The Scotsman will have to drink a lot, otherwise there will be certain problems associated with the digestive system. That is why the owners should not forget about the regular change of water. it should always be fresh and clean.
The second most popular are wet and semi-wet products for cats. Such food differs from the above-described dry food in a significant amount of liquid. This kind of treat is more suitable for Scots because it does not force cats to consume large quantities of water. True, these products have one drawback. sometimes their regular use in food ends with loosening of the gums, due to the absence of hard pieces.
There are two types of wet food:
- chunks with gravy.
Usually, both versions of these feeds have the same composition and properties if released under the same brand.
Pates should be given to small kittens and elderly cats, whose teeth should not be exposed to unnecessary stress in the form of dry hard granules. These wet food options are ideal for pets suffering from a variety of oral health conditions. As for food in the form of chunks in gravy, it is better to give them to adult pets and teenage cats.
All existing varieties of cat food are divided into classes. Economy, premium and super premium products are on sale. The most affordable are feed related to economy class. They are cheap and highly advertised. Manufacturers that produce such food, reduce the cost of it as much as possible, using a base of soy or carbohydrates.
Most budget feeds contain all sorts of flavors, dyes and other ingredients that cannot be called useful. Lop-eared Scots, like representatives of any other breeds, are not recommended to be fed with such food. they can seriously harm the health of fluffy.
For a consistent diet, it is recommended to purchase premium and super premium feed categories. If you are looking for a product for a neutered cat or a neutered cat, then you only need to buy premium options here.
Premium feeds are much better than those that belong to the economy class. As a rule, they can be given to cats every day without fear for their health. The same cannot be said about cheap products.
Separately, it is worth highlighting the cat food belonging to the holistic class. Such products are rightfully recognized as the highest quality and in most cases are made only from natural ingredients. They are expensive, but do not harm the health of the Fold Scots. It should be noted that the prevalence of these products is not the greatest, especially in comparison with budget feeds.
Choosing food for Scottish Fold cats
Purebred Scottish Fold cats are the real embodiment of aristocracy. At the same time, they are distinguished by a calm and gentle disposition. These pets, like any others, need proper and balanced nutrition. Only under the condition of a well-designed menu, the cat will be active and healthy. Today we will look at how to choose the best food for these handsome men.
Rating of the best manufacturers
Food for the Scottish breed must be chosen carefully. You should not buy the cheapest low quality products. Let’s take a look at a small list of the best manufacturers of high-quality feeds that are perfect for charming Fold Scots.
First, let’s find out which food is best for Scottish kittens.
- Royal Canin. A well-known brand offers high quality food for kittens. Separately, it is worth highlighting the French-made Shorthair kitten dry product, which contains rice, poultry and corn. Has a pleasant aroma, low consumption.
- 1 st choice kitten. An excellent balanced premium food for kittens containing 30% protein. Can be given not only to kittens, but also to pregnant cats. Allergic reactions to the components of this product are extremely rare.
- Hills science plan kitten tuna. Dry food in granules for Scots, which can be fed to kittens from 2 months. The composition contains tuna and chicken meat. Omega fatty acids available.
- Wahre liebe Junge. Another high quality dry food that can be fed to kittens of any breed from 2 months. The composition contains colostrum, which has a beneficial effect on the immunity of babies. There are also turkey and chicken meat, eggs, rice and beet pulp.
These foods are best suited for small Scottish Fold kittens. Some of them in dry form can be given to babies who are not yet 6 months old.
As for the best food for adult Fold Scots. here the rating will be based on other products. Let’s get to know them.
- Flatazor crocktail adulte poissions. This food is the ideal solution for Scottish adults. It is based on fish and poultry meat. There is no chicken fat. duck fat is used instead. There are also corn fibers and millet. Apples and beet pulp are used as fiber. According to veterinarians, the protein in this food is absorbed quickly and easily by the body of cats. In addition, the product contains essential vitamins.
First day of a Scottish Fold kitten at her new home (with captions) | @gobi.scottishfold
There are not many minerals to prevent the formation of kidney stones in the future.
- Royal canin British shorthair. High quality food specially produced for Scottish and British cats, taking into account the peculiarities of their digestive system. The product is produced in the form of large curved croquettes. the cat will not be able to swallow them entirely, and while chewing, the teeth and the oral cavity as a whole will be cleaned.
- 1 st choice adult cat chicken formula. This is a premium quality Canadian food for Scottish adults. Differs in high protein (30%) and fat (17%). Proteins in the composition are high quality, obtained from poultry meat. There are no grains here, but components such as brown rice or rice bran are present. This product has only one drawback that should be taken into account. cellulose is present in its composition. Usually this component is included only in cheap meals.
- Acana pacifica for cats. Wonderful high-protein feed made in Canada. It is ideal for adult Fold Scots. Protein is 35% and fat is 19%. The product is based on herring, salmon and flour from the carcasses of these fish. There are no crops. Alfalfa and peas are used instead. Sources of many vitamins and fiber are carrots, pumpkin and apples. It also contains cranberries. an acidity regulator.
This food is perfect as a regular diet, has a positive effect on the energy and quality of the wool of the Scottish people.
How to choose?
Food for the Fold Scotsman should be chosen carefully, paying attention to the following product features.
- Meals must be premium, super premium or holistic. Too cheap economy products should not be taken.
- Select food for kittens and adults separately. For babies, it is better not to take dry food up to 6 months, with the exception of branded high-quality options designed for kittens from 2 months.
- Check out the composition of the feed. It is not recommended to take food with flavors, preservatives of unknown origin and various chemicals. The best options are natural products.
- For Scots, you need to buy only high quality branded feed.
- You can buy food from medicinal lines for cats, but only after consulting a veterinarian.
What can not be fed?
If you have a luxurious fold-eared Scotsman, then you should know what to feed him is prohibited.
- Do not give fish and bird bones. The cat can swallow them and damage internal organs.
- It is better not to feed the Scots with river fish. It is also better not to give raw and too fatty fish carcasses.
- It is not recommended to feed fatty meat. Therefore, lamb, pork and fatty poultry should be banned.
- Don’t give raw eggs because of the threat of salmonellosis.
- Cow’s milk can cause stomach upset in a purebred cat. First of all, this applies to those cases when the animal drinks pure milk.
- Do not give Scots people medicines that are for humans and not for animals. Firstly, you are unlikely to be able to calculate the correct dose, and secondly, most of the components in human medicines are not suitable for animals.
- It is not recommended to give food from the table. In no case do not feed the Fold-eared Scots sweets, products with spices, baked goods. Fried, canned and smoked foods are prohibited. Scots should not even be given food that is intended for small children, since such options also contain different additives: salt, sugar and spices. these elements are not perceived by the body of cats.
- Spicy food should not be given to either Scots or other breeds. Otherwise, you can seriously damage the digestive system of pets.
- It is not recommended to give raw potatoes to the Scots, as they contain dangerous and poisonous substances for them.
For more information on what to feed Scottish Fold cats, see the next video.
For a Scottish Fold cat, dishes from the master’s table are completely unsuitable. Natural food should be prepared separately, without salt, seasonings, spices. Banned fried, fatty, flour, chocolate. A loving owner should know what a cat needs for harmonious development, good health, good appetite, and staying active for many years.
The basis of the diet (about half) is meat protein, followed by cereals, cereals, vegetables. Sweet, fatty, spicy foods are completely excluded. An approximate menu looks like this: 140. 150 grams of protein products (dietary meat, fish, dairy products, eggs), 70 grams of vegetables, fruits, cereals. A healthy animal is able to digest raw fish and meat, the rest of the products are cooked. Natural nutrition requires vitamin supplements, which are best matched with a veterinarian. Animals do not digest lactose well, so do not feed them raw milk. Offer kefir, fermented baked milk, cottage cheese.
Small kittens have a high energy requirement (about 800 kJ). As they grow older, this need decreases, becoming equal to 330. 340 kJ. You can independently calculate the calorie content and energy value using special tables in the reference literature. Make sure that the food you cook with your own hands is at room temperature. Please note that preparing homemade food is a time consuming process that requires a lot of time and effort. At the same time, try not to spoil the pet, otherwise you will get whims and refusal of healthy food.
A healthy animal is able to digest raw fish and meat, the rest of the products are cooked.
Exceeding the daily calorie requirement, especially when living in an apartment, leads to obesity, so do not overfeed the animal, even if it persistently asks for supplements. An exception is made for breeding cats, pregnant, lactating cats. They have special nutritional needs that need to be met for the health of future offspring and young parents.
Can cats eat sweets?
Cat lovers say that their pets are interested in sweets: ice cream, sweets, creams. Oddly enough, cats do not perceive sweet taste, they lack the gene responsible for this function. Cats love other components of high-calorie desserts: milk, butter, vegetable fats. Not distinguishing the taste of sugar, cats cannot stop in time and overeat, so you cannot give sweets to your pet. The cocoa contained in chocolate can cause poisoning, increased blood pressure, and even death.
Sweets contain many simple carbohydrates that cannot be converted into energy. The body of a cat living in a city apartment consumes little energy, so the “extra” carbohydrates obtained along with sweets turn into fatty deposits and lead to obesity. Due to sugar in pets, vision decreases, dermatitis and itching develops, the coat falls out and becomes dull, their teeth deteriorate, and their eyes are watery. The work of the gastrointestinal tract is disrupted. The kidneys from excess sugar increase, do not cope with their functions, stones are formed in them. Diabetes risk is another reason why you shouldn’t treat your pet to forbidden foods.
Newborn kittens eat only milk for up to twenty days, receiving a full set of necessary substances from it. It so happens that the cat has insufficient lactation, then you have to feed the kittens yourself with goat or cow milk. Starting from the 12th day of life, you can begin to introduce mashed meat, fish (preferably boiled) into the menu. From 15 to 18 days, offer the kids low-fat beef, chicken, offal (no more than once a week). After the eighth week, it is useful to supplement the diet with raw vegetables and fruits, which contain fiber and vitamins. You can no longer grind the meat, but give it in pieces so that the kittens learn to chew. You can gradually convert them to raw meat and fish.
At two months old, the kitten’s menu should already contain lean beef, rabbit meat, veal, poultry, fish, deboned, porridge.
If a natural diet is preferred, be sure to include vitamin supplements that compensate for the lack of nutrients. Small kittens eat more often than adults, up to 7. 10 times, in portions of 100 g. After six months, increase the portion to 250 g and switch to three meals a day. By the age of one, it’s time to start feeding twice, 200 g per serving.
Using commercially available food is easier and more hygienic. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for serving sizes. It is better to choose high-quality food from an expensive segment. Its price hits the wallet, but the food will be complete, verified, healthy and balanced.
Nutrition for aging cats
With age, metabolism slows down, activity decreases, the appearance of the animal changes. After six to seven years, food is given in small portions, increasing the calorie content. The older the cat, the higher the tendency to be overweight and obese.
Adult pets develop age-related diseases: thyroid disorders, liver obesity, kidney stones, inflammatory diseases of the urinary tract, teeth, loss of appetite. Digestive disorders require more careful attention to the menu of your favorite pussy. Harmful products are strictly prohibited.
If an adult pet is healthy, you should not put him on a strict diet without special indications. Supplement the menu with fermented milk products to reduce the risk of constipation. Purchased feeds choose premium, super premium, luxury classes, enriched with trace elements and vitamins E and C. Natural nutrition is also being revised, by-products are excluded.
Menu for a castrated cat
The spayed animal menu will require changes. The main problem of castrated and sterilized Scots is urolithiasis. Males suffer more from kidney stones due to the structural features of the body. The narrow urinary tract does not allow the stone to come out on its own, but exacerbates the position of the obstruction of the urethra during inflammation.
It is important to know that neutered cats are at risk!
Accustom your cat to a diet menu. The main prohibition is eating foods high in magnesium, phosphorus and calcium, because they lead to the formation of stones. When choosing industrial food, look for a specialized diet for sterilized animals, approved by veterinarians. They contain special substances that can acidify urine, preventing the formation of stones.
Be sure to make sure your pet is drinking enough fluids. Natural food contains enough moisture, so it partially meets this need. Dry food contains practically no moisture, so make sure that the cat drinks three times more water than it eats, or soak the pieces of food with water. If your cat doesn’t like this food, switch it to wet food or organic foods. And make sure you always have clean water in the bowl.
For a natural diet, adhere to normal food selection guidelines. The basis of the diet is meat, cereals, vegetables. Due to changes in hormonal levels and a sedentary lifestyle, there is a high risk of obesity and diabetes mellitus. Keep track of how much your cat eats, and do not feed him. It is good to fast once a week.
Sterilization affects the health of the entire body, including the health of teeth and gums. Commercial feed contains substances that help prevent these problems. With a natural menu, it is useful to give meat, not pureed, but in pieces, and special treats for dental health. Do not forget to keep your pet active, take time for him, play with him.
Adult cat menu
When a kitten grows up, its needs and habits change. Each cat is different and has its own personality, so the diet and serving size need to be calculated based on many factors. Try to stick to a specific meal plan. If the cat begins to actively beg for food, do not succumb to provocations, it is better to review the diet for an increase in the portion or calorie content. If you think the animal is getting enough, be firm.
Compliance with the regime contributes to the formation of the habit of eating at the same time, disciplines, has a positive effect on the gastrointestinal tract. Remember to keep the bowl and the area around it clean. Carefully monitor the quality of food and its freshness: everything that the cat has not eaten must be removed on time. Pay attention to the behavior of the pet: food prepared from natural meat, the cat eats more willingly.
The peculiarity of pedigree cats is that they are in dire need of protein food. For this, industrial feeds or homemade food have been developed. The portion can be approximately calculated as 50 g / 1 kg of mass or 300 kcal. When choosing a portion, take into account the animal’s appetite: if the cat eats everything without a trace and becomes full, then the amount of food is selected correctly. After lunch, do not involve the cat in active games, pets like to arrange a quiet hour during the day.
In addition to complete feeds, there are additional ones designed to diversify the pet’s diet. When purchasing, read the composition of the product. Avoid products with vague component descriptions. If the composition says meat, and not “meat products”, then such food is trustworthy. It is advisable that the manufacturer clarified what kind of meat is used in production. The package contains information about the content of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, the amount of water, included vitamins, microelements. Pay attention to the date of manufacture and expiration dates.
When making a choice, be guided not only by the price, but also by the daily consumption rate, the volume of the package. Products from well-known manufacturers are certified, safe for pets, but more expensive. Pay attention to the animal’s reaction to the new menu.
Types and classes of feed
This is a relatively new breed that has gained great popularity. The peculiarity of its representatives is the curved tips of the ears. The weight of an adult is from 3 to 6 kg. Scottish Fold cats are genetically predisposed to diseases of the connective tissues of the paws and tail. They do not require special care, they are distinguished by an agreeable character, pleasant color, and cute appearance.
The menu should contain food prepared from natural meat, then the diet is easy to digest. The feed classes are:
Economy class. The basis of the composition is soy, flavor enhancers that cause addiction. There is no meat in the composition, it is replaced by offal. They are absorbed only by half, so the animal is constantly hungry, wants to eat more and more;
premium. In the composition of meat in the first place, its share is 40. 50%, by-products and cheap types of meat are used. The percentage of digestibility is higher, natural ingredients are used in the production;
super premium is released separately for different ages. than 90% is absorbed, because it contains natural meat, vegetables, cereals without flavorings. Minerals, vitamins, energy value are specially selected for cats of different ages, taking into account the state of health. Are more expensive, less often advertised in the media;
food “Holistic” for 50% or more consists of the best sorts of meat, does not contain offal. Mineral and vitamin supplements are completely absorbed. The high price is due to natural products and high nutritional value, the pet eats up a small portion.
The menu can consist of only one food, if it is correctly selected in accordance with the characteristics of the animal. An adult cat and a small kitten cannot eat the same. Especially for aging pets, young kittens, pregnant women, a special menu is selected.
Do Scots need a special diet?
These noble animals, like aristocrats, need good care and quality nutrition. A good diet is the key to normal well-being and beauty of a pet.
Since animals are phlegmatic, the diet of Scottish Straights and Folds should not contain high-calorie foods. What kind of food is better to treat them? The kitten’s menu must be compiled in accordance with certain rules.
How to properly feed neutered and neutered pets?
After castration, animals become more passive, their metabolic processes slow down, as a result of which there is a tendency to gain excess weight. For neutered cats, you need to buy special premium food with high proteins:
- Hill’s Science Plan Sterilized Cat. A mixture that allows you to control the weight of a neutered pet. This product is available in two versions: tuna feed and chicken mix. The disadvantage of the feed is the presence of corn grits in the composition, which makes it more nutritious.
- ACANA Grassland s. Dry granules of this brand contain lamb, duck, egg and yellow perch fillets. Meat components in this product. 70%.
- GRANDORF 4 Meat Brown Rice Sterilized. The food was created taking into account all the needs of neutered and neutered animals. Differs in a high m of probiotics, due to which it has a favorable effect on the digestive tract of pets.
- “Golden Eagle Holistic Adult Cat”. The granules are 1/3 of protein products. In addition to meat, they also contain cereals. source of dietary fiber, fats, vitamins and minerals necessary for a cat’s health. The disadvantage of the mixture is the presence of tomatoes in the composition, which can cause allergies in cats.
- Royal Canin Neutered Young Male. The product is designed for neutered cats. Prevents the development of diabetes mellitus and urolithiasis in animals.
How are Scottish cats different from others??
This breed appeared not so long ago. It originates from a beautiful white cat, which, due to a gene mutation, had a special shape of the ears. Breeders crossed this female with representatives of other breeds, in particular with the British, therefore modern Scottish kittens are close relatives of British cats.
As a result of numerous experiments, two main varieties of Scots were obtained. Scottish Fold and Scottish Straight. The first is distinguished by its characteristic hanging ears, the second has straight ears, but all the other features of the breed have been preserved. These include:
- A round, broad head with a strong jaw and prominent cheekbones. The straight short nose is adorned with a luxurious long mustache. The eyes are round in shape, large, the color is in harmony with the color. Ears are set wide.
- A strong, harmonious body stretched slightly forward. The ribcage and hips are almost the same width. The legs are long and slender. Ponytail with a wide base and a narrow tip.
- The coat is short with a soft, dense undercoat. The color is one-color or multi-colored. Scottish cats can be blue, black, white, cream, striped, tabby, marbled and tortoiseshell.
Scottish cats differ not only in exterior, but also in character. Since they had noble and aristocratic Britons in their family, they are quite balanced, calm, docile. They cannot be called active, they never do nasty things on the sly. A characteristic feature of the breed is cleanliness and comprehension.
Types of feeding for adult animals
After a year, an adult pet already has certain eating habits. A Scotsman can eat in one of three ways:
- natural feeding;
- feeding with ready-made feed;
- mixed diet.
The owner can choose one or another type of diet for caring for an adult Scottish kitten, depending on his capabilities. The conditions of detention and the condition of the pet should be taken into account.
What and how to feed Fold and Straight Scots?
There is no particular difference in the diet of kittens with straight and drooping ears. There are a number of foods that are not recommended for these animals. These include heavy cream and sour cream, smoked meats, sweets, semi-finished products, fatty meats. Do not feed purebred cats with potatoes, tomatoes, rhubarb, legumes, mushrooms, garlic and onions. The following will be useful for them:
- Raw beef. Before feeding this meat to babies over 3 months old, it must be frozen. Kittens younger than this type of meat cannot be eaten.
- Boiled chicken breast. You can give the Scots and other parts of the bird, as long as they are lean and boneless.
- Liver, heart, kidneys. By-products should not be offered raw, they are boiled before feeding. They should be fed to the cat no more than 2 times a week.
- Bones. Kittens need calcium, which is a valuable source of calcium. To do this, babies buy the necks and heads of chickens, grind them in a blender. Instead, you can add ground eggshells to dairy products.
- Lean fish. The permitted species are hake, carp, perch, catfish and tuna. They should also be served boiled, but you should not abuse this dish. Fish in the animal’s menu should appear no more than 1 time per week.
- Fermented milk products with low fat. Scots are happy to eat kefir, cottage cheese, fermented baked milk. You can treat them with such dishes once every 7 days.
- Vegetables and cereals. It is useful to cook buckwheat, oatmeal, semolina and pearl barley, mix them with meat or liver. Cats love cauliflower, green beans, carrots, zucchini, pumpkin. Vegetables should also be boiled, chopped, mixed with minced meat. You need to cook the dish once a week.
These products are recommended for cats who have decided to keep on natural food. Pet food should be neither cold nor hot. When feeding ready-made feed, according to the rules of care, you should choose a premium product or higher.
Nutrition for pregnant and lactating Scottish cats
The proper nutrition of the cat is organized depending on the gestational age:
- In the first two weeks of gestation, the pet should eat as usual. Do not allow her to overeat, otherwise childbirth will become a serious test for the cat.
- After 3 weeks of gestation, the portion should be increased by 50%, it is better to feed the expectant mother 3-4 times a day. The rule is valid for a month.
- The seventh week of pregnancy in cats is a period when their appetite is significantly reduced. The portions should be reduced at this time. Feed often.
During pregnancy, it is recommended that a cat that is on a home diet be given lean meats, alternating with offal and sea fish. The expectant mother will benefit from cheese, cottage cheese, dairy products. As source of vitamins, you can offer your cat sprouted seeds of wheat, oats or barley once a week.
Ready-made feed. dry, wet, canned
Veterinarians recommend buying the following brands of food for Scots:
- Acana Pacifica for Cats. This is a holistic cat mix made in Canada. There are three types of food of this brand on sale. fish, chicken, as well as with lamb and duck. Having made a choice in favor of this company, it is necessary to purchase several options at once in order to alternate food for the pet. The disadvantages of this brand of feed are their high price and scarcity.
- Earthborn Holistic, Primitive Feline Natural Cat Food. Dry food produced in the USA with a high protein content. 44%. This mixture is based on chicken and brown rice. Suitable for feeding Scottish kittens and neutered animals. The cost of the product is approximately 7 per kg.
- 1st Choice. The food of this Canadian brand has a rich composition. It can contain different types of meat combined with fish, eggs, various grains and vegetables. The price of this feed is significantly lower than some of the advertised brands.
- Royal Canin British Shorthair. The French-made product is a dry mix. The food is specially designed for the British, but also suitable for Scottish Straight cats. Contains poultry, cereals, animal fat, yeast, chicory root pulp.
- Flatazor Crocktail Adulte Poissons. Premium fodder made in France. Contains a small amount of minerals, thereby reducing the risk of developing urolithiasis in a pet. Breeders assure that their animals are happy to eat this dry mixture.
Wet and canned cat foods can also be included in the diet of adult animals. However, they should be used as supplements and not as a staple food, because dry mixtures give the cat’s gums the right load, which is an excellent prevention of dental diseases.
What to feed the British and Scots?
The diet of Scottish and British kittens must necessarily include dairy products: cottage cheese (low-fat or low-fat), sour cream (10%), low-fat kefir, yogurt without fruit additives and cream (10%). These foods will suit your pet’s taste and are good for their health.
What food is best for Scottish Fold cats?
How to name a Scottish cat?
How to name a Scottish kitten by color
- Gray (gray. gray, English);
What is the best food for a Scottish Fold cat??
Scottish Fold cats love meat more than fish. They should eat meat every day. The pet should receive offal three times a week. In addition, the kitten can be given a little fish of low-fat varieties.
Which food is best for Scottish cats?
Basic nutritional rules for Scottish Fold kittens
At the age of a month, the kitten can eat a little chopped boiled fish, meat, eggs, dairy products (for example, cottage cheese). When kittens are two months old, they are usually quite independent and ready to eat adult food.
How to feed cats dry food?
Therefore, it is advisable to pour dry food into a bowl twice a day. in the morning the first half of the daily requirement, and in the evening. the second. If it is convenient for you, then you can feed the cat three times a day, and then the daily rate should be divided into three approximately equal parts.
Why Scots shouldn’t be given milk?
For kittens, sheep and goat milk is not as useful as cat milk. It does not contain enough fats and proteins, which are very important for the growth and harmonious development of the baby. The milk of these ruminants contains more lactose, therefore, frequent feeding of such a product to a kitten can negatively affect health.
The best food for the Scottish cat
Ready-made dry food is the best solution for modern busy owners who do not have time to prepare full-fledged natural food. High-class industrial feeds: “premium”, “super premium”, “holistic” have a balanced formula enriched with vitamin and mineral complexes. They provide proper nutrition without additional supplementation with vitamin preparations. about feed grades.
According to veterinary standards, ready-made feed must contain at least 26% protein (for lactating cats. 30%) and 9% fat, we have selected the best dry food for Scottish cats that meets these requirements:
- Acana Pacifica for Cats (Canada). holistic food;
- Earthborn Holistic, Primitive Feline Natural Cat Food (USA). holistic food;
- 1st Choice Adult Cat Chicken Formula (Canada). super premium;
- Royal Canin British Shorthair (France). premium;
- Flatazor Crocktail Adulte Poissons (France). premium class.
1st Choice Adult Cat Chicken Formula
High quality Canadian food with a balanced ratio of protein (30%) and fat (17%).
Main ingredients: chicken meat, chicken egg, poultry flour, brown and beer rice, rice bran, flaxseed, beet pulp. Fats: fish oil, chicken oil, sunflower oil.
Tomato mix and pineapple are used as fruit and vegetable additives in the feed. Pineapple is source of vitamins and minerals, stimulates intestinal activity, has a beneficial effect on the function of the pancreas. The food contains vitamins and minerals.
- Plus food: high nutritional value. the animal is satisfied with small portions.
- Less feed: the composition contains cellulose. a cheap filler.
Acana Pacifica for Cats
Holistic grain-free feed is produced in Canada. High protein. 35% and fat. 19%.
Main ingredients: herring, salmon, salmon and herring flour, fish oil, potatoes. Fruits and vegetables: apple, carrot, pumpkin, peas, alfalfa, cranberry. Cranberry. regulates the acidity of urine, is useful for the genitourinary system. Added chicory root as source of inulin.
The food is enriched with vitamins and minerals, herbal extracts. The composition is completely natural, without chemical additives, flavor enhancers and aromas. Used in catteries of Scottish cats.
- Plus food: balanced natural composition.
- Less feed: high price.
- 340 g. 500 rubles (240 UAH);
- 1.8 kg. 2199 rubles (1245 UAH);
- 5.45 kg. 4354 rubles (2025 UAH).
What will you learn from the article
Proper feeding of a kitten is a guarantee of health. Let’s figure out how to feed a Scottish cat or kitten.
Note that the Scottish diet is no different if the pets are healthy. There is a misconception that the ears of the Scottish Fold cat can stand up due to the excess amount of calcium in the food. Calcium is an essential element for the normal development of cats of any breed! Therefore, everything that we describe below applies to both straight-eared and fold-eared Scots.
What to feed a Scottish kitten
Earthborn Holistic, Primitive Feline Natural Cat Food
American-made dry food developed by nutritionists and veterinarians. High protein (44%) and fat (20%).
Main ingredients: chicken flour, egg powder, turkey flour, brown rice, herring flour, potatoes. Sources of fat: rapeseed oil, chicken fat. Fruits and vegetables: apple, carrot, cranberry, peas, spinach, blueberry.
The food is enriched with a vitamin and mineral complex of 30 elements. Contains no flavorings, flavor enhancers or preservatives. Small fraction croquettes. Suitable for feeding cats during lactation.
- Plus feed: high natural protein.
- Disadvantage of feed: not always available for sale.
What to feed a Scottish kitten
Scottish kittens are not recommended to be weaned from their mother earlier than 2 months. If you deprive a kitten of breast milk at an earlier age, this will definitely affect its well-being.
A straight-eared or lop-eared baby should receive the first complementary food at the age of 8-10 weeks. From now on, kittens are fed every 3 hours. 6 times a day. At 3 months of age, the serving size can be increased by reducing the frequency of feeding to 5 times a day. After 1 month, the frequency of feeding is reduced again, to 4 times a day. Gradually reducing the frequency of feeding, by the year the kitten is transferred to two meals a day.
Feeding Scottish kittens with ready-made food is convenient for owners and beneficial for growing up Scots. High quality feed contains a balanced composition and vitamin and mineral complexes. With such feeding, there is no need for vitamin supplements. Premium pet food manufacturers and above offer lines designed specifically for kittens.
TOP 5 ready-made food for the Scottish kitten:
- Wahre Liebe “Junge” (Germany). dry food for kittens with colostrum. Ingredients: chicken, turkey, colostrum, eggs, rice, beet pulp. Prevention of urolithiasis and the formation of hair lumps.
- Hill’s Science Plan Kitten Tuna (USA). dry food with tuna. Ingredients: tuna flour, chicken, animal fat, flaxseed, corn, beet pulp, fish oil, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Strengthens the immune system.
- 1st Choice Kitten (Canada). dry food with high protein content (30%). Ingredients: chicken, brown rice, herring flour, egg powder, beetroot and tomato pulp, barley, oatmeal. Does not cause allergic reactions.
- Royal Canin Kitten Instinctive (USA, France). wet food with cereals. Ingredients: meat and meat offal, milk, cereals, yeast.
- Royal Canin British Shorthair Kitten (France). dry food for kittens of the British breed. Ingredients: dry poultry meat, rice, fish oil, beet pulp, corn, animal fats, cartilage hydrolyzate, crustacean shell hydrolyzate. Prevention of joint diseases.