List of required materials
Various materials can be used to build a cat house:
- thin boards;
For decoration, as structural elements, you can use:
- plastic or paper pipes;
- foam rubber;
- carpet, fur or other material;
- ropes made of natural fabrics.
The main requirements for materials are the absence of harsh and irritating odors and harmful substances.
Instructions for making a cardboard house
The tower made of corrugated cardboard looks very extraordinary. The structure of the building is a set of cardboard discs glued together. For construction you will need:
- multilayer corrugated board, thickness 6 mm;
- stationery knife and scissors;
- the pencils;
- PVA glue and brush.
The calculations are approximate and are optional. Depending on the desired size and shape of the building, they can be adjusted. The height and width of the house must correspond to the parameters of the animal.
- Cut a disc with a radius of 21.5 cm.
- Cut another 6 of the same discs, but with a hole inside (measure 4 cm from the edge).
- Place discs on base.
Then you need to cut 8 groups of 5 discs of a certain size from corrugated cardboard. The radii of the discs are as follows:
- 18 cm;
- 18.5 cm;
- 19 cm;
- 19.5 cm;
- 20 cm;
- 20.5 cm;
- 21 cm;
- 21.5 cm.
Now you need to assemble a pyramid of disks on the base and decide on the place and size of the entrance to the house. To do this, you need to mark the boundaries of the opening on each disk and carefully cut it out. It is important to observe the correct angle of inclination.
After the doorway has been cut out, you can proceed to the final stage of building the tower. First, we add up all the details and check the correctness of the design, if necessary, correct the shortcomings. The appearance of the tower will depend on the accuracy of the work performed. After making sure that everything is done correctly, you can start gluing the discs together.
After that, you should let the house dry well. After drying, all that remains is to put a soft mattress in the tower and call the fluffy owner.
Criteria that a cat house must meet
When creating housing for a mustachioed pet, the following requirements must be taken into account:
- the house should be installed at a height comfortable for finding the animal;
- the size of the dwelling should correspond to the parameters of the cat. it should sit freely, stand and lie stretched out;
- the structure of the building must be strong, stable;
- there should be no harsh and unpleasant odors.
Compliance with these simple conditions will make your pet’s stay in the house comfortable and safe.
A method of making a house from wood or plywood
To build a house, you will need the following materials:
- fibreboard 40×122 cm. for the base;
- chipboard 55×44 cm. 2 pieces for walls;
- chipboard 44×61 cm. for the roof;
- 7 wooden slats 3x4x37. for the roof;
- foam rubber for the bed;
- carpet for finishing.
Tools that will be required to build a house:
- knife, scissors;
- glue gun;
- a piece of chalk.
- On the parts intended for the walls, draw partially truncated circles with a diameter of 27 cm and cut them out. Leave the back wall unchanged. On the front, cut a hole with a diameter of 22 cm for the entrance and small windows with a diameter of 5.5 cm.
- Align both sides of the house, mark the places for fastening the rails and drill through them. Fasten the back and front walls with slats using self-tapping screws. You can choose the thickness of the slats yourself.
- In order for the house to be not only durable, but also comfortable, it should be equipped. On the base of the house, in the place of the couch, fix the foam rubber. Using a hot glue gun, glue the base, walls and roof of the dwelling with carpet.
- Connect the house to the base of the structure. This can be done using self-tapping screws, which are screwed in so that the house is firmly held and the details do not protrude.
- Attach the roof made of a chipboard sheet, pasted over with carpet, to the house using slats.
To please your pet even more, you can improve the structure of the house by adding a scratching post to it. This will require:
- plastic pipe with a diameter of 11 cm and a length of 60 cm;
- jute rope 15 meters long.
For stability, you need to place a wooden bar inside the plastic pipe. Fix the structure on the base of the house with self-tapping screws or corners and wrap it with a rope. Attach a stove bench on top of the pipe. Chipboard, foam rubber and carpet are used for its manufacture.
What house can you make yourself
There are many varieties of pet housing. When choosing a model, one should take into account the nature and habits of the animal. Cats love solitude, and cats need a vantage point on a dais to be able to inspect their property.
DIY cat house: how to make a corner for a pet out of wood, plywood or cardboard?
Many pet owners believe that their pets do not care where to rest. Cats do often sleep on a couch, armchair, windowsill, or even on the floor. But they do this not because they like it so much. the whole point is that the animal does not have its own place, its own corner. Fixing this is quite simple: you need to create a house for a cat with your own hands.
Includes everything that is necessary for rest and leisure of pets: a place to sleep, a scratching post, a suspended toy, tunnels, hammocks. A great corner for a cat with kittens or a large group of pets. The only drawback for the owners is that it takes up a lot of space.
Master class: DIY pet house
Cat houses are different. it is possible to make it as the simplest, practically free, or luxurious, requiring huge labor and financial costs. The animal can be settled anywhere. in a bedside table with windows or a bookcase covered with dense fabric, a frame from a large music speaker or a homemade pyramid. It all depends on the imagination of the owner of the cats.
The choice of material for the base
Most often, the following are used to make the frame of a cat’s house:
- natural wood;
- thick cardboard;
- paper tubes;
A home-made booth, shelf, game complex is built from any boards, the remains of a wooden lining or laminate, large plastic containers, corrugated boxes, papier-mâché. It is important that the materials are not painted with toxic compounds, do not have an unpleasant pungent odor. Wicker baskets-houses are made from newspaper, magazine tubes, strips cut from plastic bottles, vines, pine roots, rattan.
Scratching post frames, racks, made of plastic, metal pipes.
DIY cat house
The cat is formerly a wild animal, but many thousands of years ago it was domesticated by man. Being a companion of a person, a cat is still looking for a secluded place in his home, where you can sleep peacefully, feeling protected, and cats sleep up to 15-18 hours a day. To make it easier for her, not to constantly remove wool from bed, closet, baby carriage, “build” a house for a cat with their own hands, from any available material.
It is easy to weave a house for a cat from a vine, but since it is problematic to get it in the city, they use simple paper tubes made from old newspapers and magazines.
For weaving you will need:
- newsprint or writing paper;
- PVA glue;
- sheets of paper are cut 8-10 centimeters wide;
- the strips are wound diagonally around the needle as tightly as possible, the ends are glued;
- a round blank is cut out of cardboard, which will subsequently be braided;
- the required number of tubes (usually 24-28 pieces are enough) is laid crosswise;
- then an additional long tube is wrapped around one of the tubes, which folds in half;
- weaving, imitating weaving, is made with a double tube in a circle;
- when the size of the cardboard blank is reached, the building of the circle stops. the walls are woven;
- at a height of 17-25 centimeters, an entrance is formed. 5-7 tubes are cut off, the ends are hidden on the wrong side, glued;
- weaving “back and forth” continues on the remaining tubes, the structure gradually narrows;
- at a height of 40-50 centimeters, the work is completed, the entrance is braided with braids;
- for strength, the product is impregnated with PVA glue, left alone until it is completely dry, painted with food dyes, dried again, decorated with lace, ribbons, a round mattress and pillow are placed inside.
House with a play complex
A real cat entertainment complex is purchased, made independently, if more than two cats live in an apartment or a private house. Here they will rest, play, communicate. The house is equipped with several platforms on racks that act as scratching posts, ladders, hammocks, climbing frames, toys dangling on strings, it can look like a rack upholstered with fabric.
In a private house, a play complex, including a winter one, is arranged on the street, preferably under a canopy, in a place protected from the wind.
Types of houses
You can make simpler constructions on your own. from cardboard shoe boxes, remnants of fabric, carpet, old furniture, vines, specially processed newspaper tubes.
If there is a possibility of placing several houses, the main one is placed in a room, a structure with a play complex. on a glazed balcony, loggia.
Houses made of textiles
In the manufacture of textile dwellings, materials are selected that do not accumulate static electricity, are well cleaned of contamination. Sewing such a product is not difficult at all.
To create a classic home you will need:
- dense foam rubber, 1.5-2.5 centimeters thick, which keeps its shape well;
- foam rubber for the bottom, 3-4 centimeters thick;
- material for interior and exterior decoration. one or different colors;
- pencil or crayon;
- a pentagon-shaped template is cut out of paper, in the middle of which a circle-hole is drawn;
- the paper template is circled on the fabric, eight identical parts are cut out. if the house is of a different color outside and inside, then four blanks of each color are made;
- two square parts of the bottom are cut out, measuring 40 by 40 or 50 by 50 centimeters;
- all parts are cut with a seam allowance of about two centimeters;
- one square blank and four pentagonal ones are cut out of foam rubber. no allowances are made here;
- in the presence of an overlock, the edges of the fabric parts are swept over them, as an option, they are processed manually;
- each wall of the house is made separately. the outer textile layer, plus foam rubber, plus the inner fabric, are swept together;
- a round hole is cut on the wall where the entrance will be;
- two pieces of fabric with holes are folded with the front sides inward, the windows are attached to each other, turned inside out, put on a foam blank;
- further, the walls of the structure are sewn together;
- the bottom is sewn last;
- the structure is turned inside out through the entrance, gently straightens out. the dwelling is ready to move in.
To make a stove bench with sides, two textile blanks are cut out in the shape of a circle, a square, a heart, etc., another one is the same, but a little less. from thick foam rubber. The perimeter of the foam part is measured with a centimeter tape, two gradually tapering to the ends of the strip are cut, 20-30 cm less than this perimeter, 15-25 cm wide, plus a suitable foam blank. Then the bottom of the lounger is sewn, turned inside out, stuffed with foam rubber, then. a side in the form of a strip. Parts are fastened together.
A cat hammock is made from a rectangular piece of fabric that hangs:
- between two coat hangers, which become a direct part of the structure;
- four carabiners with straps to an iron mesh hanger in the hallway;
- on Velcro or hooks under a chair, armchair, table;
- loops on a frame made of wood or metal specially made for this purpose.
Planter tents are hung on a ring, sewn from four triangles and a square. The bottom is made of plywood or two layers of corrugated board.
All seams, fastenings must be secure so that the cat does not fall.
Houses, complexes made of wood
A properly made wood structure is strong and durable. Required materials, tools:
- plywood sheets, chipboard or thin wide boards;
- iron corners with holes;
- self-tapping screws;
- carpet, upholstery fabric;
- foam rubber;
- PVA glue;
- seven squares of the same size are cut out of the prepared material. about 45 by 45 centimeters;
- holes of sufficient size are cut in two of them so that the cat can easily crawl through them;
- five squares are connected with furniture corners. it turns out a box without a roof;
- foam rubber is glued to the bottom, carpet is glued to it;
- inputs and outputs are carefully polished to avoid injury;
- a triangular roof is made of two square parts. the holes on the pediments, like the entire structure, will be covered with an upholstery fabric. Sheathed a ready-made building or the details are sewn together in advance, pulled over the house.
Such a house can be mounted on a stand, also upholstered with material. A pipe or board is nailed to the side or back of the structure, which acts as a scratching post. An additional plane is attached to it on top, for animals who like to look down on the world.
When building complex, multi-tiered houses, a sketch, a diagram, indicating the dimensions, is preliminarily drawn. this will reduce the overspending of materials. Structures designed for outdoor conditions are additionally insulated from the inside.
By size and shape
These are two basic features that significantly affect the consumption of materials and the price of the product. Allocate the following constructions.
- Pillar trimmed with claw cloth, on a round or square base. This is the simplest type of product with a scratching post. The pipe itself can be either round or square with smooth corners.
- A slightly more complex option is a pipe with a base at the bottom and a shelf at the top. In addition to caring for the claws, the cat has the opportunity to jump onto an elevated platform. This and the previous options usually do not exceed a meter in height.
- A slightly more complex design will include a kind of kennel in the lower zone. a box upholstered on the inside and outside with soft material with a hole. Above it is a post with a scratching post. In height, such products reach 150 centimeters. Sometimes an additional shelf is attached to the post so that the kitten, which does not yet know how to jump high, has an additional area for jumping.
- Larger scale models are a combination of the second and third options. They are great for families with a couple of cats, since several flat shelves, a closed compartment at the bottom and equipping with two posts with a scratching post will allow both pets to satisfy their need for nail care at the same time.
- A special type of model is called a tower. Such a house looks like a cave with two floors, the entrance to it is also in the upper zone. On the side, as a rule, there is a post for sharpening the claws. The product has a small height up to 1 meter and a round shape.
- For pets of medium size, such a house as the “Oval Office” is perfect. The model is named so because the bottom closed compartment with a hole is oval in shape. Also in such a house there is a middle and upper tier with three scratching posts. In height, such products are approximately 1.3 meters.
- A luxurious option for a house with several cats is a four-tier structure, which can be 170 centimeters high. Such tall models are often equipped with a hammock and numerous scratching posts on which the remaining compartments of the mini-dwelling are fixed.
- If you want to buy a compact, but at the same time quite spacious house for your pet, then corner models are suitable for you. The shape of the bottom compartment with an opening is designed in such a way that the product fits perfectly into the corner of the room. Above the lower section there is a scratching post and additional shelves.
- Playgrounds and multi-tiered models can be 190 cm high and even more. They are often equipped with additional elements such as hanging toys, tunnels. Scratching posts are present in them by default.
Thus, among such a variety of types of houses for a four-legged pet, everyone can find the ideal option with a scratching post and other attributes.
How to make Amazing Kitten Cat Pet House from Cardboard
By type of materials
The following raw materials are used as the main materials for creating a house with a scratching post.
- The frame of the closed compartments is made of wood. Wicker braid is sometimes used as a material for the walls, which provides additional ventilation.
- Plywood is used to create shelves.
- Faux fur, plush, carpet, upholstery fabric are popular as raw materials for upholstery.
- Scratching post is created from sisal, jute, linen rope.
Where to place?
Cozy dwelling for cats can be located in different parts of the dwelling.
DIY Amazing Cat House for Two Beautiful Kittens
- If the size of the corridor allows, then you can place the house there, since the cat always has an increased interest in incoming guests.
- Often, the house is also located along the wall or in the corner of the room.
- The most pleasant place for a pet will be the area near the battery. The cat will get double pleasure from the warmth of the heater and the soft upholstery of the house.
Houses for cats with a scratching post: types, production and placement
Anyone who decides to have a four-legged pet needs to think in advance about providing the animal with maximum comfort. This process requires the purchase or self-creation of a special mini-housing for a pet and equipping with all the necessary elements to meet the needs of the pet. For example, cat houses must be equipped with a scratching post. Not everyone knows what are the features of such a multifunctional design, what types of models are presented in finished form, from which a scratching post and other compartments are created, as well as how to properly build a house. The answers to all these questions will be presented in detail in this article.
The scheme of self-creation of a structure is as follows.
- First of all, prepare drawings and photographs of finished products for calculating material and landmarks.
- Draw circles on two parts of the fiberboard, the diameter of which will be 0.27 m.
- Leave the back of the kennel untouched, and on the front, draw a circle with a diameter of 0.22 m, then cut it out. Also on this side, you can additionally create small circles like windows. Then cut the required sections along the contour.
- Further, the resulting sections are marked for subsequent placement of the rails. To do this, the sections must be combined and holes drilled in both to indicate the locations of the vertical rails.
- The rear and front elements of the mini-dwelling are fastened together using self-tapping screws and pre-processed slats.
- Further, the structure is finished with fabric and other materials. On the base, in front of the fabric layer, a layer of foam rubber is also placed. Then the decorative fabric is attached with a stapler.
- On walls, upholstery or fabric material is best fixed with glue using a heat gun.
- When creating a roof, you need to glue the top chipboard panel, and also close the slats that were used inside the house in the lower part.
- To ensure the stability of the pipe inside the product, it is fixed using special wood blocks, glue and sometimes self-tapping screws.
- Then loungers are strung onto the pipe frame, which have a semicircular shape.
- The planking of the lounger is a layer of foam rubber covered with an upholstery fabric.
- The section of the post, set aside for the scratching post, is wrapped with pre-prepared material. The most suitable and safe means of securing it for an animal is PVA glue. If you want to fasten the fabric with staples or screws, make sure that the animal will not have access to them.
- The board is fastened to the bottom of the house, as well as to its top rail.
Features of the
The main purpose of cat houses with a scratching post is to create a comfortable place for rest, play and sharpening of claws, the growth of which occurs throughout the pet’s life. Therefore, it is important that the cat has a suitable surface to keep the claws in good condition. Otherwise, the pet may develop the following ailments:
- pain syndrome caused by the appearance of cracks on the claw plate;
- discomfort during movement;
- the risk of sprains during the jump, associated with impaired muscle recruitment;
- inflammation of the soft tissue due to the penetration of the claw into the pad of the paw;
- difficulty moving on vertical surfaces.
Therefore, the duty of any owner is to take care of the presence of a scratching post. Although it can be purchased separately, buying a house is a better option, especially if the animal is still young. The features of such a house include the following.
The whole variety of houses for cats can be classified according to several criteria that affect the comfort of the pet and the purpose of the product for specific representatives of the feline family, since some of them have their own characteristics of size, shape and body characteristics.
House for kittens from plastic containers
For active cats, you can build a whole castle of two or more floors connected to each other. But, since the construction is multi-storey, cardboard boxes. not the most reliable material. It is better to purchase several plastic containers with straight walls and lids.
Remove the lids from the containers and cover the inside with insulating material or carpet. Remember to leave some space at the top of the containers so that they can be covered when they dry.
Then come up with a plan for your design. Container rooms can be placed side by side by cutting out a passage in the side walls, or stacked on top of each other by cutting holes in the lid of one and the bottom of the other.
When the plan is ready, put the covers back in place, make the necessary passes and connect the modules, securely attaching them to each other with glue and tape.
Treat the outer surfaces of the house to your liking, using the elements of the technique described above.
House 2: insulated option
How to make a house for a cat from scrap materials
The easiest option. a house out of a printer box and a piece of old carpet. Its advantage is that you get both a cat shelter and a scratching post in one design.
- Box made of thick cardboard
- Old carpet or carpet made of synthetic material
- Waterproof underlayment (we use a sheet of waterproofing material that is laid under wooden floors and roofs)
- Hot glue
- Sharp utility knife or boot knife
- Ruler and pencil
- Duct tape (wide tape)
Please note that new, unused synthetic carpet and bedding may release some chemicals. For this reason, if you just bought the material, let it “lie down” for at least 2 weeks.
Outline and cut the future entrance into one of the solid walls of the box.
Glue all the flaps to each other on the sides so that they do not open and interfere with your further work.
Now you have to sweat a little. Cut a rectangular piece of insulating material. It should be long and wide enough to wrap around the bottom and two sides of the box. The width should match the width of the box. After pushing the rolled piece of insulating material through the entrance, unfold it and, gradually applying glue to the surface of the floor and walls, glue it.
Cut out three more rectangles of insulating material. One of them needs to be glued to the ceiling of the house from the inside, the second. on the back wall, and the third. on the floor to create a double insulation of the liquid (just in case). Then glue the space around the entrance with suitable sized pieces and apply additional tape of material to the joint between the back wall of the house and the floor.
Insulation will not only protect your floor from possible leaks, but will also keep heat inside the house.
Cover the outside of the house with pieces of carpet or carpet:
After gluing the fabric to the front of the house, let it dry well, then cut the opening of the entrance with a sharp knife, slightly stepping back from its edges. Make diagonal cuts at the corners of the “false” contour and, bending the top and two side strips of carpet fabric inside the house, glue them securely to the walls.
Cut the bottom strip with a knife. To close the door, cut a wide piece of carpet and glue it as shown in
Master class: bed for a cat
The next project is quite difficult, but your cat’s bed will be really unusual.
The design is universal, we specially put a small dog there. How to make a dog bed with your own hands, you can find out by the link.
- Old suitcase with a hard and durable outer surface (hard plastic or wood)
- Short furniture legs screwed into the body, for example, from an old chest of drawers or wardrobe
- Two sturdy wooden planks (these should be the same length as the suitcase)
- Sock (T-shaped) nuts
- Marker and ruler
- Cat mattress
Remove the bolts from the fasteners connecting the bottom and lid of the suitcase. You only need the bottom.
Using a drill, punch holes in the planks 2 cm back from the edge. Insert the sock (T-shaped) nuts into them with the heads up.
Place the slats inside the suitcase so that the nuts are about 3 cm from the corners. Mark their locations with a marker and drill the bottom at these points.
Then return the planks to their places and, holding them with one hand, screw the furniture legs into the nuts one by one through the holes in the bottom of the suitcase.
Turn the structure over. You should have a bed firmly standing on 4 legs. Cover her unsightly insides with an appropriately sized cat mattress.