How many Chihuahuas live at home
On average, these wonderful four-legged human friends live from 15 to 18 years. However, the world knows cases when representatives of this breed lived to be 20 years old. It is noteworthy that females live 1-3 years longer than males.
Important! Such a miniature sissy will not be able to survive in street conditions. Therefore, we are talking only about those individuals that are kept in home care and comfort.
Want to know the age of the Chihuahua? Look at his teeth. The dumber the dog’s canines and incisors, the older he is. Also, the fact that the age of the pet is quite respectful will be told by the gray hair visible in the fur. An elderly pet is no longer as active as a puppy. He may eat poorly, sleep constantly, and have certain health problems.
What can provoke premature death?
Not all animals manage to live to old age. Diseases can significantly shorten their stay on earth. Chihuahuas can suffer from:
- heart problems;
- dental problems;
- eye pathologies;
And also quite often representatives of this breed become victims of people’s carelessness. Any careless movement can be fatal for a miniature pet. Even the slightest injury can take a Chihuahua’s life.
Another factor that has a negative impact on the lifespan of this breed is the lack of training and education. A dog that does not obey its owner can easily get hit by a car, pick up poisoned food from the ground.
Important! Some owners who ignore routine vaccination initially doom their pet to painful death from diseases of viral and infectious origin.
How many Chihuahua dogs live in pets
It has been proven that the smaller a dog is in size, the longer it lives. This is explained by the fact that the aging process in small organisms is much slower than in heavy dogs. So, Chihuahuas just belong to the category of miniature breeds.
Chihuahua Life Extension Ways
Even long-livers like Mexican Chihuahuas cannot live a long life without certain conditions. So, for them it is extremely important:
- Correct diet. You need to feed these dogs only with certain food. Super-premium products marked “mini” are suitable for them.
- Walking. Chihuahuas should be on the street as often as other domestic dogs. However, it is important to remember that these crumbs endure heat and cold extremely hard.
- Veterinary supervision. Even if the dog is not worried about anything, you should not ignore the planned visits to the veterinarian. With their help, you can identify diseases in the early stages of their development.
- Care and hygiene. Representatives of this breed are very demanding in terms of hygiene. It is impossible to ignore the condition of their ears, eyes, hair and teeth.
In general, people who acquire puppies of this breed know what they are doing. Chihuahuas will be able to live next to them for quite a long time, but in return they will demand an appropriate attitude towards themselves.
When the Chihuahua gets old?
Dogs, like humans, go through the following stages of life:
childhood; youth; maturity; old age.
Cynologists believe that a dog under the age of five months is considered a child. In the second six months of life, the dog goes through the difficulties of adolescence.
- In the second year, the dog reaches puberty. The second year of life falls on a dog’s youth, and from two to eight years. the period of maturity.
Chihuahua can be considered elderly, after crossing the eight-year milestone. In this regard, it is necessary to change the walking mode, diet.
Everything is individual, and a dog that has survived to these years can remain active and lively, or it can have a wide range of diseases and only a few teeth. The health of a dog, the aging process, and much more is determined by lifestyle, proper care and, of course, genetics.
The history of Chihuahuas who live at home
The Chihuahua dog breed came to Europe from Central America. By the way, its name coincides with the name of the largest state in Mexico, the historical homeland of these cute dogs.
- The distant ancestors of modern Chihuahuas are rightfully considered to be the Techichi breed. The breed was popular with local residents for another one and a half thousand years before the beginning of our era.
There are many breeders in Central America these days who do business selling these dogs to tourists from the USA, China, Russia and the European Union.
The reason for the appearance of the Chihuahua was the Spanish conquistadors who brought their pets to the mainland under the name. Chinese Crested Dogs.
- Spanish aliens were engaged in catching ship rats, annoying sailors.
The Chihuahua became the fruit of crossing the techichi and the Chinese crested dogs. These dogs, with a calm and docile nature, have gained popularity. The breed standard was developed and adopted in 1923.
How many Chihuahuas live at home
Those who decide to take a dog into their house are beginning to worry about many questions, ranging from when and what vaccinations should be done, how the dog will get along with children, how long Chihuahuas live at home and many others.
One of the questions is what is the life expectancy of the chosen pet, or how many Chihuahuas live at home. Indeed, in a short time, the dog becomes a full member of the family, and its loss will bring a lot of grief.
How many Chihuahuas live at home and why it depends?
Experience says that the average life expectancy of these cute dogs, at home, is about 12-15 years. There are also those who live up to 20 years. Compared to humans, this is no less than 100 years.
How long Chihuahuas live. it largely depends on the owner. The owner must provide appropriate care, balanced nutrition and verified physical activity.
- This will guarantee that these cute dogs will live a long and active life.
Why do you need to know how many years dogs of this breed live. in order to understand the extent of their responsibility for its fate.
The fact is that many take a dog into the house for children or single elderly people.
But, children grow up and lose interest in pets, for older people with age, it becomes difficult to take care of pets, before taking a Chihuahua into your home, you need to think about who can provide her with care for 10. 12 years.
Features of appearance
In the accepted standard, there is no description of the “correct” color. Chihuahuas are small in size. At the same time, males have a more dense kind of square body, girls are more stretched.
Dogs of this breed have a wide chest with rounded ribs.
Chihuahuas have straight paws with small oval paws. This breed has large, warm and dark eyes. She has a relatively small tail, it can be curved or slightly twisted into a half ring.
Subtleties of character
Dogs of this breed love to hide. She can crawl under pillows or ottomans. But the owner should know that this is not a fright, it is just a feature of her character. Chihuahua, has good stamina and is able to walk long distances.
The dog is in good health. Chihuahuas with long hair are calm and docile, unlike short-haired ones, leading an active lifestyle and are distinguished by their waywardness.
- By the way, dogs of this breed do not always understand children and any movement of a child, it can be perceived as aggression.
How to choose a puppy
Before purchasing a Chihuahua puppy, you need to know a few simple rules.
- First you need to find out how long his parents lived. What diseases they suffered from, it is important to know the diseases that can be inherited.
The sight of the puppy’s parents can tell a lot. It must be understood that if they do not look the best, then most likely they cannot be attributed to centenarians.
Especially if they are overweight, such individuals live several (3. 5) years less. If the father does not have all the teeth, then this defect will be passed on to the descendants, as well as many others.
The main thing, of course, is the condition of the puppy. If he has a good appetite, his mouth is full of healthy teeth, then there is a high probability that the chosen dog will live a long life. And he will not be given many worries either in childhood or in old age.
It depends on how many years Chihuahuas live. It will not be superfluous to inquire about his pedigree, fixed on paper and a list of vaccinations already done and only to be done.
How long do Chihuahuas live. mini at home
According to experts, the smaller the dog, the more it lives, but this does not apply to mini-category dogs, that is, weighing about 1.5. 2 kg. Their lifespan is about the same as that of their larger counterparts.
Dogs weighing about 1 kg, live less. In fact, these are sick dogs and their life expectancy is 5. 7 years. Even if the health of such a baby is in perfect condition, then there is always a risk of injuring him, which negatively affects his health.
How many years do dogs live at home
The dog’s age is not so long, which makes the owners of these animals sad. Many people want to know how long a pet will be able to delight them with its presence and what can be done to enjoy communication with its four-legged as long as possible.
An insufficiently varied and balanced diet leads to disruption of the work of internal organs due to a lack of essential nutrients. Other errors (feeding dogs with leftovers from the master’s table, salty, fatty, fried food, long bones of a bird) disable the digestive organs and, in general, adversely affect health, provoking serious disorders (for example, urolithiasis). But even with proper feeding, many owners make another gross mistake. overfeeding the pet. And excess weight means problems with the cardiovascular system and joints.
Table: Average Life Expectancy of Dogs by Breed
The table shows the average values, which for a particular representative may differ up or down.
Pedigree dogs have genetic diseases that are inherited from generation to generation. So, dogs with brachycephalic muzzles (Pekingese, Pugs, Bulldogs) often develop diseases of the respiratory system (bronchial asthma), which entail cardiovascular pathologies. Dachshunds often have spinal diseases that can completely immobilize the animal. Large dogs often have hip dysplasia. Many inherited diseases are diagnosed with genetic tests. If you promptly request their results from the breeder, you can choose a pet that is not burdened with bad genes. In other cases, you just need to know the peculiarity of your pet and prevent its effect on health (for example, it is recommended to pick up dachshunds when descending stairs, and brachycephalic breeds should not be walked in the heat).
Average lifespan of dogs
The average life span of dogs is 9–12 years. But these terms are influenced by many factors. So, there is a direct relationship between the size of the pet and the duration of its life. Dogs of large breeds live less than representatives of small breeds. The difference is very significant. in 8-12 years.
No studies have been conducted on the lifespan of stray dogs. In street conditions, they rarely die of old age. Disease, cars, abuse of people, fights for leadership end the lives of stray dogs in their youth. But if a mongrel becomes a pet, then she has every chance to live a long time. For generations deprived of human care, these animals have high adaptability, stress resistance and strong immunity.
There is a completely scientific explanation for this, associated with the peculiarity of the onset of aging of the body. In dogs, as in humans, several life periods can be distinguished:
- old age.
In large dog breeds, the first three periods are too short. Old age begins after 6 years of life, and along with it comes diseases that can reduce the years of life of the pet. Small dogs are children and adolescents for a long time, at the age of 8 they only enter adulthood and live in it for several more years. Old age catches up with them at about the 14th year of life.
Age periods of a dog depend not so much on the breed as on its size.
The difference for the owners is palpable. But this is not a reason to deprive yourself of the pleasure of communicating with medium and large dogs. It is necessary to correctly assess all the factors affecting life expectancy and minimize the influence of negative causes.
The secret of canine longevity is in an active lifestyle. A dog that is tethered around the clock with occasional walks on a leash is doomed to a short life. Pets need to move a lot, and if it is impossible to ensure this level at home, then walking 2 times a day with the opportunity to run for pleasure is necessary. It is even better if the dog is busy with a useful activity. sports or service (guarding, grazing). Combining physical activity with an understanding of the importance of one’s business helps the pet to stay in good shape for many years.
Other reasons that can affect a dog’s lifespan include:
- frequent childbirth. after the birth of puppies, the dog needs at least a year to restore the body, otherwise the dog’s health is depleted from constant hormonal changes, and the offspring will be born weaker every time;
- living conditions. proper care of the dog, protecting it from hypothermia and overheating prevent the development of many diseases, which means that such a pet will live longer;
- lack of upbringing. a well-bred dog, accustomed to listening to the owner, is less likely to accidentally run out onto the road or get caught up in potential prey, therefore, from the very beginning of the puppy’s stay in the house, you need to make him follow the basic commands: “Come to me!” (“Fu!”), “Near!”, “Sit!” and etc.;
- medical care. vaccinated dogs that undergo regular examinations by a veterinarian, deworming and treatment for ectoparasites have practically no chance of dying from an infectious disease.
Chihuahua | Dogs 101
Of particular note is the sterilization of dogs, from which offspring are not planned. This procedure prevents oncological diseases of the genital organs, death from which is quite high in individuals who do not constantly satisfy their sexual instincts.
Neutering is beneficial for your pet and can increase its lifespan.
Smog-polluted air is bad for human health. and for dogs, too. The owner is unable to do something with him, but he is able to give the dog clean water to drink, not to go with him to places where there is a lot of garbage and waste, not to allow him to pick up garbage and walk through puddles of gasoline. And also. from time to time to get out into the countryside, at least take a walk, relax and breathe really fresh air.
Animals that live in environmentally unstable environments die earlier than those living in clean areas.
How many years do dogs live? Breed table
On average, dogs live 10-13 years. Life expectancy depends on many factors. From the article you will learn: what affects the life of a dog, what to do to maximize the life of a pet, dog breeds that live the longest.
average life expectancy
The average is a highly unreliable figure and should not be relied upon. It is made up of statistics, where one dog died as a puppy from a congenital disease, another was hit by a car as a teenager, a third had liver failure at a very active age, and a fourth lived to a ripe old age and among his kind attracts Methuselah.
The average life expectancy of a dog is 12 years, but in each case it fluctuates and changes.
|Australian shepherd||15 years|
|Alaskan Malamute||11 years|
|American Hairless Terrier||15 years|
|American Pit Bull Terrier||11 years|
|Anatolian Shepherd||14 years|
|English Setter (Llewellyn Setter)||12 years old|
|Afghan Hound||13 years old|
|Basset Hound (Basset Hound)||12 years old|
|Beagle||12 years old|
|Bichon Frize||13 years old|
|Bobtail||13 years old|
|Dogue de bordeaux||8 years|
|Border Terrier||14 years|
|Welsh corgi||14 years|
|Dalmatian||12 years old|
|Golden labrador retriever||11 years|
|Irish Wolfhound||7 years|
|Irish red setter||13 years old|
|Caucasian Shepherd Dog||10 years|
|Ca de bou||12 years old|
|Kai||13 years old|
|Can de palleiro||11 years|
|Chinese crested dog||14 years|
|Cocker Spaniel||13 years old|
|Labrador Retriever||14 years|
|Labradoodle||13 years old|
|German Shepherd||12 years old|
|German wachtelhund||13 years old|
|German dog||10 years|
|Norwich Terrier||15 years|
|Samoyed dog||13 years old|
|Siberian Husky||13 years old|
|Central Asia Shepherd Dog (Alabai)||13 years old|
|Dachshund||13 years old|
|Pharaoh Hound||12 years old|
|Fox terrier||14 years|
|French Bulldog||11 years|
|Hovawart||13 years old|
|Miniature schnauzer||13 years old|
|Chow Chow||11 years|
|Shar Pei||10 years|
|Shih tzu||13 years old|
|South Russian Shepherd||15 years|
|Jagd terrier||13 years old|
|Yamthund||12 years old|
|Japanese Chin||13 years old|
It may seem strange, but how well a dog lives at home is also influenced by how well raised it is. There is logic in this: an ill-bred dog is more likely to get off the leash when he sees a cat, run away and get lost. likely to fight another animal and get injured. Will bite the person and be put to sleep. Runs out onto a busy road, not listening to the owner’s commands. Will eat the bait of doghunters without responding to the command “fu!”.
To the teams “fu!” and “to me!” the most spoiled, the smallest dog, which has not heard of any other commands, must unquestioningly obey. Since her life depends on these two.
Stress is one of the factors that cause a drop in immunity and, following it, many diseases. People often say: “All diseases are from the nerves” and to some extent this is true. The more a person or animal is nervous, the weaker their health.
And the reasons for stress in a dog’s life are the sea. And helping to cope with it is the business of the owner.
Stress occurs most often as a reaction to:
- Lack of human attention. Of course, sitting with a pet for a day is impossible, but you need to provide attention. To do this, during a walk, the owner does not just walk next to him, holding the leash, but interacts: he teaches commands, throws a ball, praises him for his calm behavior. At home, he allows him to sit next to him, expresses approval of small everyday successes, sometimes distracts from his affairs and strokes. Then even a dog that is left alone for most of the day will feel needed.
- Punishments. The animal must not be beaten, shouted, and aggressively scolded. Punishment is needed to convey a thought, not to frighten or suppress. It must be proportionate to the misconduct, age and temperament of the dog, otherwise it will cause stress.
- Fears. Often attacks of fear happen to small dogs: they are afraid of other animals, the roaring washing machine, loud TV. However, big dogs are sometimes shy in front of things that are common for a person. The owner must support the pet, show that there is nothing wrong, encourage him for his courage. Or help avoid the source of fear if you can’t teach.
Stress is caused by frequent moving, a change of owner, quarrels of owners, the appearance of a child, a puppy or a kitten, travel. Nervous dogs suffer even from loud noises.
Of course, human beings cannot prevent all this, but they are able to help the dog cope with stress, and not let everything take its course.
A dog that the owner supports in difficult moments of life is likely to live longer than the one that copes with everything on its own.
Proper nutrition is the key to health, not only in humans, but also in animals. Feed is given:
- With the correct composition. It is one for puppies, another for adults, and a third for old people. Pregnant bitches require more vitamin and calcium, neutered males less specific nutrients. Renal failure, liver failure, diabetes, activity level. everything counts.
- In the right proportion. If you give too little, the animal will be exhausted, its immunity will drop, and the will to live will disappear. If you give too much, the animal will become fat and lazy, stop playing and running, and immunity will also drop. Feed is calculated by weight based on the percentage of body fat.
- Adequate quality. Lost food, which is customary in villages to feed animals, is just as harmful to them as to people. Cheap food plants the liver, cheap natural food does not take into account the needs of the body. The food is served fresh, always with the presence of meat. or premium class when it comes to feed. Do not mix natural products and feed.
Diet is half the battle, only one side of the coin. Its second side is activity. The dogs provide an adequate load, this has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, on the nervous system, on the state of mind and on the muscle frame. They walk with him according to the requirements of the breed (at least two hours a day), play, run, provide socialization.
Additionally, it takes into account how the environment suits the animal. Long hair is cut off in hot summer. In cold winter, a warm overalls are worn on short wool. Maintain a comfortable temperature in the house.
A dog that eats correctly, moves every day, does not freeze and does not suffer from heat, is likely to live longer than those who eat improperly, move a little and experience the negative influence of the climate.
There are no large breeds among long-living breeds, and their average life span is several years higher than the total for all dogs 12.
- Yorkshire Terriers. Fluffy babies are champions when it comes to life expectancy. Their average is 17, and the oldest york on record died at the age of 25.
- Chuhuahua. They are also babies, and they also live long. 16 years on average. Oldest Chihuahua dies at age 20.
- Pomeranian Spitz. Most likely will live to be 16 years old, and the oldest died when he was 21 years old.
- Dachshund. The average term is 15 years. The oldest dachshund has lived to be 21 years old.
- Toy poodle. Similar to its older ancestor, but much smaller, the toy poodle lives to be 15 years old. The oldest died at 20.
- Beagle. Lives up to 15 years on average, and the oldest beagle set a record unthinkable for a dog before, having lived to 27 years.
- Maltese. Tiny Fluffy Dog Lives To 15 Years.
- Pugs. Funny plump dogs live to 15 years old, and the oldest pug died at 18.
Of course, no one will give a guarantee that, for example, a particular pug will live exactly 15 years, and not less. But if the owner tries to extend his life, the probability will grow and become not illusory.
This is the tiniest breed. It is very ancient. Such crumbs delighted the Incas, Aztecs and Mayans with their cheerful disposition. Amazingly, they can live up to 18 years.
How long do dogs live and what does it depend on?
The lifespan of dogs is influenced by: the conditions in which the four-legged friend is kept, genetics, breed. We will tell you in detail how many years dogs live at home and on the street, what is the lifespan of mongrels. We will also figure out whether the owner can affect the life expectancy of his little friend.
Most often, 1 year of a dog’s life corresponds to seven human years. This is wrong. In different periods of life, this indicator has its own coefficient. 2 months of a dog’s life corresponds to 14 human months. But 6 months is already 5 years. 8 months. 9 years, etc. A one-year-old dog corresponds to the human age of 14 years. This is how the American scientist B. Foster suggests calculating the age of a dog. According to his calculations, a 5-year-old animal corresponds to a 40-year-old person.
This is taken into account when caring for a four-legged friend, training. It is better to bring up a pet until the moment when he turns 3-5 years old. From this age, he enters into maturity. He forms character, habits, relationships with the owner. At this age, the peak of energy and intellectual capabilities comes. It is better to develop a pet for the first time two years. Remember that in the year he begins a transition period.
36 Angry Chihuahuas | Try Not To Laugh | That Pet Life
Old age will come when the pet is 8-9 years old. This is important to consider. It is already difficult for a pet to be too active, therefore, the daily routine and walking time need to be adjusted in advance. For an older dog, it is better to lie on a warm rug for longer. It is already difficult for her to follow commands, to play.
Well, those who have celebrated 14-15 years can be safely considered long-livers. They require respect, care and extremely gentle care.
Life expectancy is directly affected by:
- The size. Large dog breeds live on average 10-12 years. Representatives of small breeds can delight owners of 14-15 years. Why are representatives of large breeds given a shorter life expectancy? This is directly related to their size. A large body weight leads to the fact that organs and systems are under excessive stress. This provokes the fact that the organs wear out quickly.
- Genetic predisposition to disease. Pedigree dogs are inferior in endurance to outbred breeds. Every breed has a weak point. The task of kennels is to breed healthy thoroughbred puppies. This is ensured by competent selection. But problems still remain. For example, in Pekingese people suffer from the respiratory system and the cardiovascular system, in dachshunds. the spine, joints, in dogs diagnosed with heart defects, joint dysplasia, arthritis. If you intend to acquire a thoroughbred pet, be sure to take into account the shortcomings of the breed and the tendency to disease. Knowing this, you can adjust the care of your pet in such a way as to minimize the risk of developing these diseases.
- Food. You cannot rely on animal feed manufacturers. Remember that your diet should be balanced. This is what you cannot save on. Dry food is easy to use, but it does not saturate the body with the necessary vitamins and microelements. If you really choose dry food, then let it be a premium class. But it is better to cook food for your pet yourself. We hasten to warn you that scraps from the table will not work here. Food should be prepared taking into account the age and needs of the animal. Be sure to keep track of how much portion you are offering. Pet obesity should not be allowed! It can provoke diabetes, diseases of the cardiovascular system, liver, hypertension.
- Lifestyle. Provide the animal with the activity it needs. It is a pity for dogs of large breeds, which are kept in an apartment. They lack active walks in the fresh air. Most often they are taken out just to relieve themselves. But with such animals you need to purposefully deal with, train. Help your pet to fulfill the breed’s potential. They need to be provided with daily body and mind workouts, outdoor activities. If this is not possible, it is better to opt for a representative of an ornamental breed. It is curious that those dogs, which every day undergo serious physical activity, live longer than their counterparts of the same breed. Shepherd dogs or service dogs become centenarians. The secret to longevity isn’t just about training well. Every day, in addition to physical, they also experience intellectual stress. A trained mind is the path to longevity.
- Correct treatment and prevention. A good owner takes care of the health of his pet in advance. Do not wait for that sad moment when the disease is gaining momentum. If you have a purebred dog, take into account the weak points of the breed, influence them. If he gets sick, start treatment immediately so that the disease does not turn into chronic.
- Stress. This is an important factor that affects life expectancy. A stressful situation triggers an adrenaline rush. This hormone seriously disrupts the functioning of the body. Constant release has an extremely adverse effect on the body. It has been observed that dogs do not tolerate loneliness well. Talk to your pet constantly, do not leave him alone for a long time. Let him feel needed and loved. Try to constantly protect him from stress, create reasons for positive emotions. Five minutes of playing with your pet will cheer him up for the day.
- Pregnancy. If a dog gives birth too often, its body quickly wears out. Remember that after pregnancy it will take at least six months for the body to fully recover. Frequent changes in the hormonal system weaken the health of the animal. It is not surprising that after long feeding, the female even loses hair.
- The popularity of the breed. This is a negative factor. Popular breed puppies are bred too often. The quality of the livestock suffers from this, it becomes weak. Therefore, frequent mating should be avoided.
This dog was originally used by farmers to look after sheep. Sheltie is small, hardy, eats little. She can live for about 13-14 years. The weak point is kidney failure, which develops due to bad teeth. Therefore, you need to provide proper dental care. It is enough to give the dog something hard to chew on regularly.
We offer you a brief overview of those breeds whose representatives live as long as possible.
They are funny and charming pets. Despite spinal problems, they live 13-14 years. They become truly attached to their master. Do not forget that these friends are very fond of hunting.
Purebred dogs and mongrels: who has a better chance of longevity
It is popularly believed that mongrels are more adapted and therefore live longer. They supposedly have no weak points, like purebred dogs. It is believed that their immunity is more stable. The strongest survives among the street animals.
However, veterinarians do not notice much of a difference. They argue that mongrels live on average as long as purebreds. In addition, mongrels suffer from extremely unfavorable living conditions. They do not have a balanced diet, they are often freezing and experiencing chronic stress. They are not provided with veterinary care. Home is missing, they are constantly in danger.
But what about those mongrels who were lucky enough to find an owner and live in the house? How long do mongrel dogs live? On average, they live as long as thoroughbreds. The mongrel is, in fact, a mixture of different breeds, mestizo. From each of the breeds, their body took something. These are not necessarily benefits. Mongrels can also suffer from the shortcomings of a particular breed. The only difference is that they have several breeds mixed at once, that is, several weak points at once.
The lifespan of mongrels also depends on their size. On average = 14 years. Large individuals live less.
This breed is very ancient. It is also mentioned in Greek, Roman and Egyptian cultures. Maltese Bichon will delight the owner for 13-14 years.
As you can see, how long a dog lives at home can be influenced by the owner himself. Nutrition, care, daily routines, stress relief, medical care will be decisive. It is important to consider the weaknesses of the breed. You need to treat your pet with care, but you do not need to limit its activity.
Consider these recommendations, and your pet will be with you for many years.
If you want to get a cheerful, cheerful friend, buy a beagle. They live for 13-14 years. The main thing is not to overfeed.
Life expectancy of a standard Chihuahua
Standard Chihuahuas are considered dogs weighing between 1.8 and 3.5 kg. According to the results of the conducted opinion polls, it was found that their average life expectancy is 12-16 years.
Also, according to statistics, bitches live 2-3 years longer than males, the reason for this has not been established.
The life expectancy of bitches actively participating in breeding work is reduced by several years.
The officially registered cases of longevity include a male named Megabyte, who died in January 2014, having lived 20 years and 265 days.
The main causes of death
Scientists from the University of Georgia have observed 70,000 dogs for 20 years to determine the cause of their death. As a result of these studies, among other things, the reasons for the premature death of the Chihuahua were determined:
- Cardiovascular diseases: arrhythmia, heart failure, stenosis, regurgitation, valve prolapse. According to statistics, 18.5% of adult Chihuahuas (over 14 years old) died from the listed pathologies.
- Injuries. 16.8% of Chihuahuas died from injuries incompatible with life. Among 82 different dog breeds, they have the 7th highest injury death rate.
- Infections. The cause of death of 10.5% of adult dogs was infection with parvovirus, distemper, leptospirosis. A large number of animals could not survive septic shock.
To ensure a long life for a pet. vaccinate it in a timely manner:
According to the testimony of veterinarians, a certain number of Chihuahuas have epilepsy. The disease affects animals of both sexes, of various ages. According to statistics, mini-Chihuahuas are most susceptible to it. The reason is in deliberate closely related crossbreeding to breed miniature representatives of the breed.
Males are more prone to epilepsy. this is due to the structural features of the central nervous system. The general causes of the development of epilepsy are still unknown to specialists. Among the main assumptions are congenital pathology, genetic disease. The first attacks can overtake a Chihuahua in 0.5-3 years.
Quality and care
First of all, competent Chihuahua care includes:
- correct feeding;
- health monitoring;
- antiparasitic treatment.
Do not forget that Chihuahuas are able to capture the mood of household members, therefore, with a tense atmosphere in the house and frequent scandals, they experience stress, which can provoke the development of diseases and affect life expectancy.
The tendency of this breed to dental diseases necessitates careful oral care: cleaning 2-3 times a week at home and twice a year in a veterinary clinic.
Otherwise, bacteria can enter the bloodstream through the gums and reach the internal organs.
Chihuahuas also need hygienic haircuts, monthly nail trimming, daily brushing, eye and ear examinations, and quarterly bathing.
Causes of premature death
Errors made during breeding work by incompetent breeders cause the birth of unhealthy puppies. the whole litter or individual individuals.
Unscrupulous breeders do not talk about the health problems of a Chihuahua puppy to potential buyers, while serious diseases will inevitably lead to the premature death of the pet.
In addition to the presence of incurable pathologies leading to death, the lack of proper care can significantly reduce the life of a pet.
Chihuahuas are fragile dogs, so lack of attention from owners can lead to injuries incompatible with life.
Refusal of owners to vaccinate the dog or their desire to save money on this procedure also leads to adverse consequences. Infectious diseases are one of the main causes of early death of a pet.
Requires close monitoring of the Chihuahua‘s nutritional quality and the size of the food it consumes. in case of depletion, the immune system weakens, and the presence of excess weight affects the work of the heart and other internal organs and shortens the life of the animal by an average of 5 years.
Caring for an elderly dog
With age, Chihuahuas do not require complex changes in care. All should also take care of the coat, claws, teeth, eyes and ears.
You should transfer the dog to dry food, appropriate for age.
NOTE! In the case of feeding with natural products, you will need to consult a specialist who will prescribe the necessary vitamin complex.
It is necessary to reconsider the walking regimen. the dog should go outside, but the duration of the walk should be reduced.
Chihuahuas over 10 years old must be checked twice a year.
|Dog age||Human age|
By bringing a four-legged friend to the house, we hope that the pet will live a long and happy life with us. But the owner must be aware that the life span of a pet also depends on him.
Chihuahua is one of the longest living breeds. It is explained by a logical law: the smaller the dog, the longer it lives. over, Chihuahuas are house pets: domestic animals live much longer than their chained counterparts in open conditions. In addition, representatives of this breed rarely have congenital pathologies that noticeably shorten life.