Immediately before giving birth, the bitch will lie down on its side and, during pushing, will try to snuggle against the wall with her back and pelvis. Sometimes childbirth takes place in a standing position. The puppy can be born with its head and legs forward, both options are normal. First, the water will drain from the dog, this happens after the first bubble bursts.
A young bitch can get confused, so if she can’t calm down, help her to lie down in the arena and stroke.
Each puppy is individually wrapped. The puppy must be immediately released from it so that the baby can begin to breathe. Usually the dog does it on his own, but if he hesitates, then take the baby in your arms and remove the bubble. If the spout is clogged, then it is cleaned.
After that, it will be necessary to separate the umbilical cord, again, the bitch must do it herself, but it happens that the owner has to intervene: you need to squeeze the umbilical cord and drain the blood from it, leading it towards the puppy. Fix the fingers at a distance of 2 cm from the tummy, with the other hand grab the umbilical cord 3 cm from the place of capture and pull with the hand that is closer to the puppy. The umbilical cord will come off by itself, but if you cut it, then bleeding will open.
Do not let the puppy crawl with the uncut umbilical cord, this will lead to a hernia, the same consequences will be caused by the inaccuracy of the bitch herself. If, nevertheless, the puppy has bleeding, then tie the umbilical cord with silk thread, previously soaked in alcohol.
After the appearance of the puppy, the afterbirth comes out, sometimes the dog eats it, this is normal. After the birth of each puppy, change the diaper under the woman in labor.
Important: count the number of successions! It should match the number of puppies. If there is something left inside the dog, then call the doctor to help get rid of it.
After the baby has been freed from the films and the umbilical cord has been cut off, it is placed under the mother’s belly so that the first feeding will start the digestive process. At this moment, the dog will lick them and turn them over, and quite unceremoniously, do not interfere with her.
Purebred puppies must be weighed and recorded data on their birth. You must specify:
- Time of birth,
- The weight,
- Color description.
After the birthing process is over, give the bitch a rest, she will settle down in a warm and calm place with her babies.
Important: childbirth is a bloody and rather dirty process. Assess your strength and your degree of disgust, so that it does not turn out that you are confused at the most crucial moment. If necessary, invite someone to help. Remember that labor can take a full day.
How long does a dog carry puppies?
The most important thing to know about pregnancy
- Pregnancy and childbirth are a huge burden on the animal’s body and during this period many chronic diseases can become aggravated, especially if the bitch is not young (5-6 years old) and is mated for the first time. So the concept of “tying for health” is nothing more than stupidity.
- The admission to breeding in the FCI system for dogs of the German Shepherd breed is from 18 months. In German breed clubs, bitches are allowed to mate from 20 months, males. from 24 months. By this age, animals reach both physical and physiological maturity.
- The duration of pregnancy depends on many factors (breed, number of fetuses, age of the bitch, feeding and maintenance conditions, length of the period from mating to ovulation, etc.) and ranges from 57 to 72 days.
- Puppies born earlier than 57 days old are usually not viable. If the bitch is walking, there is a reason to contact the veterinarian, since a delay in labor up to 70-72 days threatens the death of the puppies in the genital tract of the bitch.
- During pregnancy, the whole body of the bitch undergoes hormonal changes, the need for energy increases by about four times, and the calcium balance changes. The amount of calcium in the mother’s blood is significantly reduced; first, it accumulates in the placenta and in the organs of the embryo, and then goes in large quantities for the construction of fetuses.
- During the first month of pregnancy, the embryos grow very slowly. It is difficult to determine pregnancy at this time. Active growth begins when all organ systems are laid and the embryo is already a miniature model of the future adult organism, now it is called a fetus. From this moment, active growth begins.
- After seven weeks, the fruits can be gently palpated, and from the eighth week, their heartbeat can be heard. A few days before giving birth, you can feel the stirring of the fetus if you put your hand on the belly of the bitch. Wiggle can even be seen when the dog is lying on its side.
- During pregnancy, the dog is given only high-quality homemade or industrial food.
- The need for feed in a bitch in the first half of pregnancy is the same as in a non-pregnant one, and in the second half it increases by 25-50%.
- It is advisable for a pregnant bitch to give vitamin and mineral supplements, brewer’s yeast, vegetables, fruits, in a limited amount. chicken eggs and liver.
How to care for a pregnant female
Care consists in frequent, but inactive walks, good nutrition with supplements of vitamins. You need to pay more attention to the dog, help her cope with the new situation.
The first pregnancy is one of the most stressful events in any dog’s life. It can come after the first estrus at 6-9 months, however, most owners keep the pet from mating until full physical maturation and for the first time they lead on a date no earlier than 1.5 years.
The first time, bearing offspring is much more difficult than the next, which means that preparation for it should be started in advance.
Before you start knitting:
- Prepare the animal in 2-3 months.
- Cut off excess fat, if present, and build up meat if the dog is too thin.
- Get your pet in good physical shape with exercise and active walks.
- Choose your diet carefully. Fortify with vitamin supplements.
- Get all vaccinations.
- Treat the beast from external and internal parasites.
- Limit walking in potentially hazardous areas. Limit contact with unfamiliar dogs to avoid accidentally catching an infection.
- See your veterinarian for a checkup. Try to identify all possible hidden threats to future motherhood and eliminate them.
Safe periods are 56-73 days. If babies are born earlier, then their viability will be a big question. If the mother has already passed 73 days, veterinarians are advised to do an urgent caesarean section, since due to such a delay, the kittens can die in the body of the carrier.
Among other things, a first-time pregnant dog may exhibit:
- Increased anxiety from the first days. She feels that something new, unusual is happening to her body and does not yet know how to react to it. And if we take into account that the sensations of an enlarging uterus can hardly be called pleasant, then anxiety, increased nervousness and even aggressiveness are quite understandable.
- Toxicosis is a fairly common phenomenon, just like in humans. If at a certain period the pet begins to refuse food, or vomits it some time after feeding, then try to completely change the diet, choosing foods to which the animal’s body will not react so. Eating within 2-3 days to cope on their own does not work, urgently contact the veterinarian, because such a serious situation can have a very bad effect on the future health of the animal.
- The number of walks is increasing, but they themselves are decreasing. The dog has to cope more often, while prolonged physical activity is harmful for it. Each owner should know how important psychological peace is for the animal during this period, so do not deny the dog his legitimate desire.
- The place for future offspring must be special and prepared at least two weeks before the expected date of birth. Choose a warm, draft-free room with dim light for the nest box. Show the animal a new house, let it get used to it, feel safe in it.
Young animals sometimes have false pregnancies lasting up to 2 weeks.
It is best if the veterinarian is in touch with you on the day of the expected birth, who monitored your health status so that in case of an emergency you can help. If this is not possible, try not to leave your pet for a long time. She is very nervous and worried, so a calm owner next to her is simply necessary.
Stages of pregnancy
A canine pregnancy proceeds rapidly, because of this, the owner needs to possess information by which it is possible to determine in which phase the fetus is and what is happening inside his pet.
You can conditionally break the duration of pregnancy into the following stages:
- The first stage of a full-fledged pregnancy begins with the formation of hearts in the offspring, usually at the end of the third week after mating. Usually the process is marked by vomiting in the dog, noticing this. increase her portion of food.
- Puppies acquire a mature appearance by the end of the third week (27-28 days), but they are not yet covered with hair.
- You can see embryos on ultrasound closer to day 32, they have already gained a quarter of their weight.
- Rib and limb bones are strengthened up to 34 days.
- Day 37 is important because all vital systems in a young body are already formed.
- You can examine the offspring by x-rays on the 45th day, so you can determine exactly how many puppies the bitch is waiting for.
- On day 56, the animal actively licks itself and tries to retire for childbirth.
The difference in the length of the stages depends entirely on the size and breed of the pet. It is better to consult a specialist for each period. This advice is especially important for those who are preparing to give birth to a dog for the first time.
My Rottweiler giving birth to six puppies
For high-quality preparation for childbirth, you should clearly determine for yourself from what day to count and generally count by ultrasound or by knitting. Experienced dog breeders usually count on mating, while for beginners it is better to focus on ultrasound diagnostics and the opinion of a specialist. This will avoid annoying mistakes.
Length of pregnancy in large breeds
The gestation period in dogs can be 55 to 72 days. With a large number of developing embryos, the period of polykyesia is reduced. If the dog is carrying one or two puppies, the pregnancy may be delayed. Typically, larger breeds carry fewer puppies and pregnancy lasts up to 72 days.
Due to the relevance of accurately determining the presence of a pregnant condition in a dog, its owner can conduct special studies in a veterinary clinic. Diagnostics of pregnancy in dogs helps to accurately establish the period of polykyesia, calculate the calendar of the pupil’s pregnancy, exclude the presence of pathologies and choose a strategy for future childbirth.
Pregnancy in dogs, features
The state of pregnancy (polykyesia) in dogs occurs in the first five days after the established mating. During this period, sperm are most viable in the genital tract of the female and fertilize ovulated eggs.
Pregnancy in dogs lasts on average 63 days, with deviations. 56-73 days. Puppies born in these terms are considered viable. Prolonged pregnancy, more than 73 days, is a good reason for seeking veterinary help, since serious complications are possible in the pet’s condition.
So how long do pregnant dogs of any breed walk? On average, they carry puppies for about two months. It is worth noting that it is quite difficult for an uninformed person to accurately determine the presence of pregnancy. But there are a number of simple signs that every owner can pay attention to.
Signs of pregnancy in the female are morphological and behavioral changes:
- Enlargement of the nipples and adjacent tissues.
- Increased appetite, or vice versa, its lack and food selectivity.
- Physical lethargy.
- Cautious behavior, the dog becomes less sociable. In other cases, females seek companionship and affection from the owner.
- There are signs of abdominal enlargement.
- frequent urination and mucus, clear vaginal discharge.
In veterinary medicine, there are three types of pregnancy in dogs:
Features of caring for a puppy dog
A pregnant dog requires special attention. For the first 4 weeks, an animal, like a person, has severe toxicosis. Therefore, you need to be calm about any changes in the mood and behavior of your pet. First of all, you need to provide a balanced diet. You can not stop walking the dog in the fresh air, even if she resists it. However, while walking in the park, you need to make sure that the animal does not jump from a height and does not run quickly. It is also advisable to protect your pet from stress.
The first 4 weeks, the animal’s nutrition can be left unchanged, but after a month it is advisable to enrich the diet with minerals, proteins and vitamins. In order for the food to be as balanced as possible, it does not fit to consult an experienced veterinarian. You also need to gradually increase the volume of food.
Calcium should be added to food, but you should not overdo it, as its oversaturation can lead to health problems for the dog. Approximately 10 days before the appearance of offspring, you need to reduce the amount of protein food, and 5 days before giving birth, it is completely excluded. Such drastic measures are used to prevent vomiting during childbirth.
How to determine pregnancy
In the first month of pregnancy, it is almost impossible to identify any signs of the piquant position of the animal. At this stage, only indirect assumptions about the rate are possible, based on the following signs:
- in the behavior of a pet, passivity is observed;
- the animal may temporarily refuse to eat;
- the dog refuses long walks;
- four-legged friend looking for a place for solitude.
It is possible to accurately diagnose a dog’s pregnancy only in a veterinary center after an ultrasound examination. In this case, the diagnosis is carried out no earlier than 20 days after mating. And after a month, the ultrasound shows not only the puberty of the animal, but also the number of future offspring.
External changes become noticeable one month after mating. During the same period, changes in habits are observed. The animal begins to grow a belly and an increase in the chest. The body of the female is rounded, which indicates the active growth of the puppies. The second half of pregnancy is accompanied by the release of viscous mucus from the loop. There is swelling of the nipples.
On the 50-day period, you can feel the puppies, but this must be done with extreme caution. After a few more days, the puppies‘ heartbeats can be heard. 10 days before the expected birth, the movement of offspring in the womb of a dog is observed even with the naked eye.
Also, the second half of pregnancy is accompanied by changes in the behavior of the pet. The animal avoids strangers and behaves aggressively while walking. Some females are actively preparing food supplies, hiding food in hard-to-reach places. With the maximum approach of the significant event of the appearance of offspring, the animal begins to rebuild its sleeping place.
Dates of pregnancy in dogs
In most cases, normal dog births occur between days 56 and 66 after mating, but normal offspring may appear earlier or later. How long an animal will walk while pregnant can be influenced by:
- the size of the pet;
- number of previous pregnancies.
Usually, the duration of bearing offspring is longer in large animals and dogs waiting for the first offspring. In turn, small and re-pregnant pets give birth much faster and easier.
But even if the puppies did not appear at the scheduled time, it is possible that the conception date was simply incorrectly set. Usually mating occurs repeatedly throughout the week. In view of this, conception can occur both on the first and last day, and, therefore, the term of labor can be shifted by 7 days in one or the other direction. An error in calculating the timing is most often the fault of the owner, and not of nature.
What is meant by false pregnancy
Domestic dogs inherited false pregnancies from their wild relatives. In the wild, only dominant females can breed in flocks, while the rest begin estrus during the same period. Dominant animals are fertilized and begin to bear future offspring, while the rest show false signs of pregnancy. over, after the appearance of puppies in dominant individuals, colostrum is produced in other dogs. This phenomenon is quite common among pets. At the same time, the following characteristic features are inherent in it:
- swelling of the breast;
- colostrum formation;
- pet nurses favorite toys.
A false pregnancy can be observed 1.5–3 months after estrus. This may be due to unsuccessful mating, or even in its complete absence. Based on research conducted by scientists, 85% of dogs have false puberty twice in their life.
This phenomenon is completely normal and does not require intervention from a person or a specialist in a veterinary clinic. Only when undesirable complications are identified, the help of a veterinarian may be required. If the dog has not had a mating, and all the signs of pregnancy are manifested, then we can state the fact that it is false. In such a situation, you need to carefully monitor the health of the animal and, if necessary, contact specialists.
If mating before the appearance of signs of pregnancy occurred, then it is possible to understand whether this phenomenon is false or not only after the second month, when the fetus is probed. If the puppies are not palpable, then all the signs are false. Although there are cases of failed pregnancy, when conception has occurred, but the fruits “dissolve”. Therefore, it is not always possible to establish the presence of a domestic pet in time. To determine the state of the dog, it is important to track changes in its behavior and body. Accurate diagnosis is possible only after an ultrasound examination in a veterinary clinic.
How many months does a dog bear puppies?
Pregnancy in any animals, including dogs, is a unique period when they need the love and affection of their owners. over, even if mating has occurred, it is impossible to argue that the pet has become pregnant. But regardless of this, the future four-legged mother requires special care so that her offspring are born healthy.
Therefore, the owner of the dog must know everything about the pregnancy of animals in order to control how it proceeds and, if necessary, seek help from a veterinary clinic in time.
How mother dogs handle disrespectful puppies: Part 1
Signs of imminent labor in
Naturally, the first sign that an animal will soon give birth is a correctly calculated gestational age. Also, how much is left for a pregnant animal to walk may indicate a change in the body temperature of a pet. This indicator may differ at different stages. Therefore, regularly taking measurements of the dog’s body temperature, you can determine the time of the onset of labor. In practice, it should look like this: when the temperature drops to 37 degrees, childbirth should be expected no later than in a day. However, this only applies to small dog breeds.
Another sign of the proximity of a momentous event is a change in the pet’s behavior. The animal begins to look for a place to give birth or rebuild its shelter, where it sleeps. The dog whines, drinks a lot of fluids, and displays unusual anxiety. In such a situation, the owner needs to prepare for childbirth. It is important to prepare a place for birthing where the animal will feel calm. It should be cool and not cold there, without drafts and preferably next to the owner.
Immediately before the onset of childbirth, physical changes can be observed: abdominal prolapse and the confluence of the sides. Immediately with the onset of childbirth, the owner can independently help the pet, of course, if you understand what to do. If you are not confident in your own abilities, then it is better to seek help from an experienced veterinarian.
Nuances to be aware of
As the time for droppings approaches, the expectant mother should be trimmed in the abdomen and around the anus. Some dog breeders argue that interfering with the natural process of new life is unacceptable. This is partly true, but not in relation to dwarf breeds. In such animals, the process of childbirth is difficult and painful. In such a situation, only the owner can help the dog. Otherwise, the animal may not only suffer for several hours, but also lose offspring.
It is important to understand that you need to take care of your pet not only while she is pregnant, but also after childbirth. In addition to a properly selected balanced diet and short walks, a light massage of the abdomen will be useful. This will bring the dog back to normal tone much faster. Love animals and they will always reciprocate.