German Shepherd Puppy Care.
How many months can you bathe your German Shepherd puppy? Features of caring for a German shepherd puppy
The maintenance and care of puppies of any breed has certainly its own characteristics, and since I have been the owner of a large German shepherd kennel for almost thirty years, I will write about the peculiarities of caring for a German shepherd puppy. You can read all general information about caring for a monthly puppy in the article How to take care of a monthly puppy.
If you have become or want to become the owner of a German shepherd puppy, then you need to know the peculiarities of raising puppies of this breed, possible problems and what to pay special attention to.
A real German shepherd. The dog is very temperamental, and the puppy needs to be provided with the opportunity to run out, if he does not have such an opportunity, then almost 100% of such a puppy will not grow up a full-fledged dog, so walk and walk again. How long does it take to walk with a German Shepherd puppy? Of course, for a shepherd puppy, in terms of walking, life on the street in an open-air cage is optimal, where the puppy runs as much as he wants, if the puppy lives in an apartment or house, then the more you need to walk, the better, this in no way means, that the puppy needs to be given some kind of special load, for example, run after a bike or something else. Additional loads for a shepherd puppy, on the contrary, are contraindicated. Ideally, you need to walk with the puppy until he runs over and settles down, this is the best indicator that the puppy has walked. Depending on age, this is usually 20-30 minutes at 2 months, up to 2 hours at 6 months, and if your puppy walks with other dogs, he will walk up much faster. Communicating with your own kind is an integral part of raising any mentally healthy dog. For the German Shepherd, this is doubly relevant, so look for your pet friends or girlfriends.
At what age can you bathe a puppy?
Bathing a puppy is an important procedure that requires a lot of attention, which is why many novice dog breeders are interested in the question at what age a puppy can be bathed. Puppy hair is a delicate hairline that practically does not constitute the guard hair. Newborn puppies are dressed in this soft fluff, which after the first molt (4-6 months) is replaced by wool. In addition, there is a layer of fat on the skin and wool, which protects it from moisture, dirt, hypothermia and infection.
It is generally undesirable to bathe small dogs, since animals do not tolerate sudden temperature changes, after bathing, immunity is weakened, and there is a risk of diseases. In case of urgent need, the puppy can be bathed from one month of age, if he is already vaccinated. It is strictly forbidden to bathe your pet 7 days before and 14 days after vaccination.
If you decide to completely bathe a one-year-old puppy, you need to be very careful, take maximum care not to catch a cold to your baby. To do this, you will definitely need to protect his ears with cotton wool from water, you do not need to wash your head. The water should be warm, but not too hot, so as not to dry out the skin and coat.
For washing, you need to use shampoos specially designed for small puppies, which do not irritate the skin and do not wash off the protective coating from the coat. Other shampoos should not be used so as not to spoil the dog’s coat and skin. After bathing, the puppy should be kept warm until completely dry.
Experienced and responsible owners avoid bathing pets too often, which can harm their health. Bathing a healthy puppy is recommended no more than 2-3 times a year. If the puppy is partially dirty, its coat can be cleaned with damp gauze, gently wipe the dirty places. Every time after a walk, the puppy must be sure to wipe or wash his paws from the street
To come in. How to properly bathe your puppy?
The main thing is to know how to do it. Especially a lot of questions arise about how to bathe a puppy. And here it is very important to clearly understand to yourself that bathing puppies before they reach two months of age is undesirable. And they do this only when absolutely necessary, when the puppy gets very dirty. In the future, puppies are bathed in accordance with the requirements of caring for a particular breed.
However, in any case, dogs should not be bathed more often than once a month. The coat must be in good condition to protect the skin from adverse factors. As for how to properly bathe a puppy, there are certain rules and recommendations.
Long-haired, grown-up puppies with soft hair can be washed a little more often: two or even three times a month, although this is more true for adults who regularly take part in exhibitions. For some breeds, bathing is minimized, water procedures are carried out only if absolutely necessary.
The fact is that the water-repellent properties of wool, so important for them, disappear as a result of bathing. During bathing, the animal should be protected from water getting into the ear canals and shampoo in the eyes. For puppies, it is best to securely seal the ear canals while bathing with small cotton swabs. You can wash your puppy in the sink or in the bathroom by placing the baby on a rubber mat. During washing, you must be extremely vigilant, because the puppy can completely unexpectedly break free and, jumping out, harm itself.
Frequency of washing dogs of different breeds
Each breed has its own individual characteristics that must be taken into account when swimming.
This breed of dog has a long coat, which is important to properly care for. It is necessary to bathe the animal every 30-40 days, depending on its behavior. Some individuals are active and get dirty quickly. For the Spitz, it is recommended to purchase special shampoos that make combing easier. To find out when you can bathe your Spitz puppy for the first time, it is recommended to consult a veterinarian. But most often, if the pet is healthy, such a procedure is carried out upon reaching 1.5-2 months of age.
A feature of the animal is its long shiny coat. Shine is given to it by a special lubricant, which is produced by the skin, therefore, water procedures for the pet are recommended no more than 1 time in 2-3 months.
Spaniel water treatments
Tips on how to train your puppy to water treatment
In order for the animal to tolerate water procedures well, it is important to follow simple recommendations:
- Try not to get your head wet during the first bath.
- The first bath should be short.
- During water procedures, you do not need to raise your voice to the animal.
- It is recommended to start teaching the puppy to bathe in a playful way. You need to collect a small container of water and throw your favorite toy there. The pet will try to reach toys by contact with water.
- After walking, you need to regularly wash your pet’s paws.
It is easier to train puppies to bathe than an adult dog. The main rule is to do everything gradually so that the animal has time to get used to it.
Preparing to bathe your puppy
It is necessary to start water procedures only after preliminary preparation. Otherwise, the pet may be injured and further fear water. Preparation begins with the following steps:
- The pet is seated in an empty bathroom. The animal must ensure that the procedure is painless.
- Water is turned on daily in the presence of the animal. The most suitable option would be if the pet is in the bathroom or sink, and the water is turned on in a thin stream. Gradually the intensity of water supply is increased.
- The owner purchases a special product for bathing puppies.
- Before the procedure, prepare a ladle and a long-nap towel.
- A special rubber mat is used to prevent the pet from slipping on the bathroom.
- Eliminates all possible distractions. Put away the phone and make sure children and other pets are supervised.
- If the breed is long-haired, comb it before bathing. Brushing the wet coat will damage it.
Before starting the water procedure, it is necessary to caress the animal, prepare all the necessary items so as not to waste time. It is forbidden to leave your pet alone while bathing. The puppy may fall into the water and swell.
This pet is very clean, so it gets dirty in rare cases. It is enough to wash it every 4 months. The rest of the time, only the paws are washed after a walk. Also, once a week, comb the coat using a fine-toothed comb.
How to redeem a puppy for the first time
Bathing for the first time is difficult for many owners, especially if the pet is still a puppy. To bathe your baby for the first time, it is recommended to follow these steps:
- Play with the animal. The pet must completely relax and trust the owner.
- Taking the puppy in your arms, you should move to the bathroom. If the puppy is hiding, don’t force him.
- The door of the room must be closed so that there is no draft. Warm water must be poured into the bathroom in advance. Then carefully slowly lower the animal into the water, all the while talking to him affectionately. It is necessary to start lowering the pet into the liquid from the hind legs. Movements should be slow. Many pet owners make the mistake of lowering their dogs by 4 legs at the same time. This can cause anxiety attacks and further fear of water.
- Leave the pet in this position for a few minutes. The puppy needs to get used to the water.
- Using a scoop and a soft sponge, moisten the animal’s fur. Rub a small amount of shampoo between your palms and gently massage into the puppy‘s coat. Pay attention to the legs and tail.
- If you need to wash your pet’s head, use a small piece of cloth soaked in water. No soap and shampoo used.
- Use a ladle to wash off the foam. The procedure is repeated if necessary. If the animal is washed in a small container, it is necessary to pour out the foamy water and replace it with clean.
At the end of the procedure, you need to wrap your pet in a towel and give him a treat. Don’t let the animal run around the house. While running, the animal splashes water, and can also get sick if there is a draft in one of the rooms.
First water treatments for a puppy
When bathing, the puppy may try to jump out, so you need to gently hold it. If desired, the wool can be dried with a hair dryer, but many animals become intimidated by the loud sound. Therefore, it is sufficient to thoroughly blot off excess water using a few dry towels. The animal must be left in a warm room without drafts until completely dry.
The pet does not tolerate the effects of water, so they bathe it no more than 1 time in 4 months. After water procedures, you need to blot the fur with a towel, then wrap the dog in a dry towel and leave it in this form until it dries completely.
How can you wash your dog
It is necessary to wash the animal only with a specialized shampoo or foam. When choosing a detergent, you must pay attention to the following criteria:
- On the packaging it should be noted that the product is intended for puppies;
- The puppy should not have any allergic reactions;
- Different products are used for short-haired and long-haired dogs;
- The product should protect the pet from fleas and skin diseases;
- The product should not have a bright color and smell.
The choice of bathing products is very large. Some shampoos have a calming effect. There are also products for dry cleaning of wool from dirt. Do not use human shampoo for bathing animals. This remedy leads to dandruff and dry skin.
Since this dog does not tolerate water well, it should be bathed no more than 1 time in 4-5 months. The only exceptions are cases when the dog is heavily soiled and the problem cannot be eliminated with a damp towel.
How to apply shampoo
It is not poured directly from the bottle, but diluted in a small container of water. Then they act like this:
- First you need to thoroughly wet the wool.
- A rubber brush / sponge is moistened with soapy water and lather the body and limbs in a circular motion.
- Separate areas (near the anus, armpits, groin and paws) are washed with special diligence.
- The dog’s head is raised up, making sure that the liquid does not flow into the eyes, nose and ears, but flows down.
- To wash the wool, use a shower hose, carefully walking through each soapy area.
- The foam from the head is gently washed off by hand.
The rinsing must be long enough so that no detergent residue remains on the skin (coat) that could irritate it.
General hygiene rules
Excellent physical shape and vitality of the dog depend not only on a verified diet, walks in the open air, physical education and outdoor games: hygiene skills are no less important.
Hygiene consists of daily monitoring of the dog’s well-being, as well as care for the skin, hair, ears, eyes, teeth and paws.
Pets living in enclosures or booths are not particularly interested in washing with cosmetics. In the heat, they can be doused with a hose or allowed to splash in the river. However, the city dogs, from time to time going out for barbecues and taken out to nature, will not give up on summer swims.
Dry bathing in clean snow is also useful: this is the hardening of the dog and the release of the wool from external parasites. But the snow cover, sprinkled with reagents, certainly does not have healing properties. In tetrapods, who have walked for a long time on winter sidewalks and streets, the pads of the paws are wiped especially carefully.
First, pick up clothes for yourself, preferably with long sleeves: it is possible that your client will start jumping out of the bathroom, actively wielding his paws. Long sleeve keeps your hands free from dog claws.
A few more tips:
- Half an hour before the bath procedures, close the windows and doors so that drafts do not walk around the house;
- It is better to tie the dog using a leash and collar;
- Put a muzzle on her (preferably nylon) if she is prone to aggressive attacks;
- For an animal with cropped ears, prepare a special cap or do not wash its head at all;
- Cover your bathroom floors with a worn blanket or sheet. The fabric will absorb water flying in all directions, and also soften the jump on the tile if the dog breaks free.
Features of breeds
The least need to be washed are indoor (decorative) dogs, which do not go out into the yard for weeks and relieve themselves in the tray. Paradoxically, but it is these indoor recluses that are more often “tortured” with bath procedures, in part because of their small size, which allows them to be treated like toys.
Rare washing is also recommended for smooth-haired dogs or those with a long, stiff awn complemented by a short undercoat. It is believed that their fur is capable of self-cleaning. Pets whose hair is prone to permanent hair loss (for example, French Bulldogs) should not be washed idly either.
By the way, for short-haired breeds, including Boxers, Dalmatians and Dobermans, a method of express cleaning has been invented without a large volume of water. In warm water (250 ml) stir in 1 tbsp. A spoonful of vodka and vinegar. The sponge is moistened with this solution, lightly squeezed and wiped off the dog’s hair, removing not only dirt, but also the smell.
Puppies of all breeds sitting in forced home quarantine are advised only to wash, and not bathe completely. Do not wash elderly dogs for no reason, whose coat and epidermis have lost their natural elasticity: washing (especially with shampoo) will only aggravate the situation.
Choosing a shampoo
Do I need to remind you that the wrong choice of cleaning cosmetics is fraught with allergic reactions, dermatitis and even baldness. Someone prefers American or European brands, others opted for domestic products.
A good dog shampoo contains lanolin / lecithin and egg yolk. These components maintain the elasticity of the coat and skin.
If your pet has a predisposition to allergies and dandruff, you will have to look for remedies (oils, balms and masks), not limited to shampoos.
How often to wash your dog
The frequency approved by veterinarians is once a month for water treatments using shampoos and soaps. After walking the dog, they simply wipe their paws or wash it with water, if the degree of pollution is not critical.
The animal’s epidermis does not need detergents, even gentle ones: they wash off the natural lubricant, provoking painful dryness and irritation of the skin.
The most squeamish owners clean their pets, trying to nullify the smell of the dog, not suspecting that they are achieving the opposite effect. The sebaceous glands work harder and the “aroma” becomes more distinct. Adherents of sterility, or rather, their dogs, lie in wait for two more dangers: continuous molting and dermatitis.
By the way, on this issue, dog lovers and dermatologists disagree radically. Experienced cynologists assure that only refusal from frequent washing with shampoo restores the health of dog’s skin.
Be that as it may, it is impossible to absolutely refuse to wash, since dirty wool:
- Grows slower;
- Fells faster (in long-haired breeds);
- “Resists” combing;
- Looks bad.
The only ones who do not worry about washing their dogs are the owners of elite show-class individuals traveling from one show to another. These select dogs bathe and dress up before each tournament.
Stock up on a few waffle towels and start drying:
- Clean wool is wrung out, allowing the dog to shake off several times.
- The dog gets wet (do not rub it!) With towels until the spray stops flying from it.
- Long-haired ones are dried with a hairdryer at low speed (with cool or slightly warm air).
- It is forbidden to scratch the wool when drying it with a hairdryer.
- Do not let your dog lay on the side until his hair is completely dry and styled in the right direction.
Conditioners / balms are used as a preventative against mats and to protect the coat from the sun and give it a shine. The conditioner is also mixed with water so that it is better distributed through the hair, and applied with another soft sponge. Wash off the composition several times, after waiting about 5 minutes (according to the instructions).
How often can you wash your dog
The question of how often you can wash your dog has no clear answer. The washing schedule depends on her age, breed, coat type, lifestyle, health and show claims.
For the first time
And yet, from how many months can you bathe your dog? The most ideal option is for at least two weeks to pass after vaccinations. In principle, there should be no unpleasant smell from a small dog. The animal begins to smell like a dog during puberty, at the time of estrus. But if you overdid it with hygiene, you constantly wash your four-legged friend, then on the contrary, he will begin to carry the dog even more. With frequent washing, the sebaceous glands cannot function properly. They secrete more oil to lubricate the coat, so the smell of a freshly washed dog increases.
You cannot bathe newly born puppies. Their mother will deal with this task. Nature arranged everything. While the cubs are looked after by the mother dog, their cleanliness is normal. She licks her offspring and bathing will only harm, wash away the natural protection. Therefore, newborn puppies do not need to be touched and carried to the bathroom.
But it so happens that mom is gone. What should you do then? When should and can you wash your puppy? The main thing is to adhere to the rule that you cannot bathe blind cubs. You must wait until the eyes open. And still the first time you can bathe the puppy only if the crumb is completely smeared with dirt or feces. And so it is best to use wet wipes, carefully remove dirt with their help.
But if you cannot avoid water procedures, then after bathing, it is necessary to wrap the baby well with a dry soft towel. This is necessary to avoid hypothermia. Carefully wrap the crumb in a towel and place it on your chest to keep it warm. And without strict necessity, veterinarians recommend carrying out water procedures after three months of age and all the necessary vaccinations.
If the puppy is extremely dirty
Frequent bathing is not recommended for any dog in general. If you abuse water procedures, then the lubricant that protects the skin of the animal will not have time to recover. But it so happens that the foolish little one gets so dirty that you can’t do without water. Then it is worth remembering the precautionary rules. Ears must be plugged with cotton swabs, water is not poured on the head, the hair of the head is wiped with a cloth. The shampoo is chosen according to age, you should not wash the crumbs with a product for an adult dog, otherwise you can provoke itchy skin. After a wet event, wrap the dog with a large towel, make sure that there are no open vents. If you bathed a fidget, then on this day you cannot go out on the street.
Choosing a shampoo
Specialized shampoos for animals tend to be very different from human shampoos. They do not have in their composition various flavored dyes, incomprehensible substances that give a strong specific odor, alkalis and other unnecessary additives. Dog cleaners are made for fur, not hair.
Good quality shampoos, of course, are not cheap, but they are enough for a long time, since dogs often do not wash, unlike humans. Here are a few manufacturers that have proven themselves on the good side: Hartz, Doctor Vic, 8in1, Tropiclean.
When looking for shampoo, consider the dog’s age, breed, coat type, as well as purpose, for example, from fleas. Shampoo instructions and recommendations will help you make the right choice. Conditioners are usually purchased from the same brand and from the same detergent line.
Do I need to wash after a walk
Again, I repeat that we already know from how many months it is necessary and possible to wash a dog, not less than 3 months old. But naturally, this does not mean that as soon as 3 months or six months have passed, we begin to wash almost every day of the poor dog. Then everything also depends on the amount of pollution. After each walk, you do not need to bathe the dog completely. It is enough to wash your paws. To do this, pour some warm water into a specially prepared basin, if the paws are very dirty, add dog shampoo there. Put the paws in the pelvis one by one, first the front, then the rear, wipe each paw dry.
How to redeem a puppy for the first time
Now we know at what age the puppy’s baby can be washed, how to prepare for the water procedure, but we have not yet figured out how to bathe the puppy, so let’s figure it out. It will be easier for those who have children, because a small pet is like a helpless baby. It must be handled gently and carefully, as they say, without sudden movements. The main task on the first day of bathing is not to scare the dog, otherwise the next time it will be hard for you and the dog. A four-legged friend will remember this negative experience, and retraining is always more difficult than teaching from scratch. Therefore, approach this issue responsibly, prepare yourself, study all the nuances.
How to care for your puppy’s coat before bathing
- After each walk in dry weather, wipe your paws with a cloth soaked in water.
- After a walk in rainy weather, wash your paws in a basin of clean water, then wipe them dry. If the paws are very dirty, you can add a special shampoo to the basin.
- The puppy’s body also needs grooming. Dogs with long hair, such as the Yorkshire Terrier, must be brushed every day with a special comb.
- Short-haired dogs such as short-haired Chihuahuas, French Bulldogs should be brushed daily with a special brush.
- The puppy’s fur is wiped with a damp cloth, just do not rub against the grain.
- If there is dirt in the ears, then gently wipe the ears with a damp cotton pad.
Bathing Tips. Important Things to Remember
- When can I wash my little puppy for the first time? After reaching three months of age, and only after being vaccinated.
- To resort to water procedures only when the animal is very dirty.
- Frequent bathing will harm the animal. Do not deprive it of its natural protection by washing out the special lubricant from the wool.
- Speak affectionately and praise your pet while bathing, treat with a treat.
- Observe the correct water temperature, namely 37 ° C.
- There is a chance that dandruff will appear, you should not panic about this.
- If the doggie misbehaves while swimming, you can not scold him and shout at him.
- You can not leave one in the water, the foolish person can get bloated.
- Bathing your pet is best during the molting period.
- You cannot walk with a small six-month-old baby for at least a couple of days after washing.
When to start bathing your puppy
Little crumbs are very fond of learning about the world around them, so they always try to climb somewhere, usually this is the farthest dirty corner. Even if they are only at home and do not walk on the street, they can still get very dirty. What to do in this situation when you can bathe your puppy. After all, experts advise to bathe dogs no earlier than 3 months.
How often to bathe your puppy
We know how many months a little puppy can be washed, how to bathe a puppy correctly so as not to scare. There is only one question left. how often to bathe him. There is no definite answer here. An individual schedule is selected for each dog. The schedule depends on several factors:
- Where the pet lives, in an apartment or on the street;
- Pet character. He is a fidget who climbs into all the bushes, or calm, who does not leave the owner’s feet;
- What is the reaction of the animal’s skin to external stimuli;
- Breed of dog;
- Does the animal love water, there are those who experience great stress from water procedures;
- Is there an allergy in households.
But there are certain restrictions that apply to everyone. The main thing is not to wash earlier than 3 months, not to resort to water activities until vaccinations are made, not to use shampoo more than once a month. But it should be wiped with a damp cloth every day, especially for breeds with bearded muzzles. A soiled face should be wiped off every time after eating.