Average lifespan of dogs varies by breed
And here the rule is natural that the larger the dog is in size, the less years of life are measured for it. Here are some dog breeds that support the above:
- English Bulldogs. 8-10 years old;
- English spaniels. 10-14 years old;
- Dogo Argentino. 13-15 years old;
- Bassetts. 9-11 years old;
- Boxers. 10-12 years old;
- Bolonki. 18-20 years old;
- Large poodle. 15-17 years old;
- Dogo de Bordeaux. 7-8 years old;
- West Siberian huskies. 10-14 years old;
- Yorkshire Terriers live 12-15 years;
- Caucasian Shepherd Dogs live. 9-11 years;
- Pugs live 13-15 years;
- Great Dane live. 7-8 years;
- German Shepherds live 10-14 years;
- Rottweilers live. 9-12 years;
- Staffordshire Terriers live for about 13 years;
- Dachshunds live. 12-14 years;
- Toy Terriers. 12-13 years old;
- Chihua-hua live 15-17 years;
- Airedale Terriers. 10-13 years old.
Some huge injustice exists in our world. The most devoted and beloved friends of man, dogs, live for so few years. After all, for example, parrots live from 10 to 70 years, depending on the breed. turtles 50. 200 years old, elephants. up to 60 years.
How many dogs live in relation to the age of a person?
It is popularly considered 1 year of a dog’s life for 7 years of a human. But this is not entirely true. After all, dogs at the age of 1 can already bear offspring, in contrast to 7-year-old children. Most accurately, in our opinion, the correspondence of the age of a dog to the age of a person is characterized by the following table, taken from the book of the famous American specialist B. Foster. “The Life of a Dog”:
Dogs develop fastest in the first 2 years of life. If we compare with the age of a person, then six-month-old puppies are comparable in physical development with our five-year-old children, and puppies’ transitional age begins when he turns 1 year old. And in another year, their age will correspond to human 24 years. All these subtleties must be borne in mind when training and raising your pet. The dog becomes fully formed at the age of 3 to 5 years.
This period can be called canine maturity. During this period, the dog is the most energetic and intelligent. At 9 years old, the dog can already be considered old. Her activity decreases, instead of walking, she prefers to lie down somewhere in a warm place, she performs training commands much less willingly. When your pet turns 15, he is already a real long-liver. Congratulations! Well, if your dog lived that long, then you did everything right. You have provided the correct care and training for your dog. You were able to accustom him to the correct way of life. And this allowed the dog to increase its life expectancy and calmly live old age.
A huge role in the well-being of the dog in the senile period is played by a balanced diet and physical activity in the period of youth. In old age, dogs begin to develop various problems: hearing deteriorates, vision problems may occur. Older males may be disturbed by the prostate gland, due to which there are malfunctions in the genitourinary system. Dogs at a solid age lose their teeth, because of this, their food should be soft so that it does not make it difficult for your pet to swallow it. Keeping your dog’s weight at the correct weight is very important.
The extra weight of the dog becomes an additional burden on all the important systems of its body. Especially on the cardiovascular, as well as on the skeleton of the animal. Weight control is what you need to do on a regular basis, especially when your dog is old. Consult your veterinarian throughout the dog’s life. Ailments that afflict older dogs are much easier to treat and not so difficult if detected early.
In the end, a time comes when the owner of the dog faces a dilemma: to put the animal to sleep or prolong the suffering of a hopelessly sick pet. Decision making is your full responsibility. Saying goodbye to your beloved friend is not very easy. But this is life. And everyone should be ready for this.
How long do dogs live? Life span of dogs
“How long do dogs live? What is the lifespan of our chosen breed? ” These are the questions asked by all dog lovers. Unfortunately, dogs don’t live as long as we would like.
From the Guinness Book of Records. To date, the champion in the lifespan of dogs is Lev Ball’s pet from the Australian city of Rochester. shepherd’s assistant named Blue. This canine long-liver lived 28 years and 11 months.
It is curious that people have a lot of long-livers among shepherds and shepherds. In particular, in the Caucasus. The same can be observed among dogs. Well, fresh air and physical activity can increase the lives of not only people.
The life span of a four-legged pet depends not only on the breed, but also on external conditions.
Five factors affecting the lifespan of dogs:
- The size. As a general rule, small dogs live longer than large ones.
- Food. For animals, this is the dominant factor. A complete diet, the presence of vitamins and other biologically active substances in the feed lengthens the life of a four-legged friend to the maximum.
- Activity. Active dogs, which are walked daily 3 times a day, live much longer than passive dogs, who walk a little.
- Health. Correctly and on time vaccinations, timely treatment for emerging diseases will lengthen the life of your four-legged friend.
- Psychology. Depression often leads to premature death.
How Long Do DOGS Live? Explained
It should be noted that mongrels, mongrel dogs live much longer than purebred, especially popular ones. This is due to artificial selection: thoroughbreds are bred too often, they degenerate, lose their immunity and are genetically more predisposed to various diseases. In mongrels, the mixing of blood is maximum, often the strongest, the strongest physically, psychologically and genetically survive.
Most owners treat their pets responsibly, therefore the main factor affecting life expectancy is always belonging to the breed.
How long do dogs live?
How long do small dogs live?
It is impossible to say exactly how long dogs live. each of them is an individual. And even the universe. But on average, the life span is 13-18 years, which is one and a half times longer than that of large ones. This is surprising, because according to the rules of biology, it should be the other way around. The lifespan of small animals is several times less than of large ones. The heart of a domestic cat beats at a frequency of 110-13 beats per minute, in a tiger 40-50. A cat lives for 6-8 years, a tiger lives for up to 25 years. And so with all representatives of the fauna.
How many years do small breed dogs live?
As already mentioned, the average value is 13-18 years. But there are also real centenarians.
TOP 5 centenarians living on average 18-20 years:
- Jack Russell Terrier.
- Shin Tzu.
- Lhasa Apso.
- Australian shepherd.
Everyone’s favorite dachshund also lives to be 20 or more years old, but the average age is 14-15.
The more active the pet, the more free space it has, the slower it will age. For example, four-legged friends living in the yard live about one and a half times longer than their pets.
Why small dogs live longer than large dogs?
There is no definite answer. There are several hypotheses, the prevailing one is the hypothesis of the American biologist Krause, published in the journal LiveScience. Its meaning is that large breeds age and die faster, the risk of early death is proportional to the weight of the animal. Factual material was collected during the study of more than 56 thousand individuals of 74 breeds.
The overgrowth of large breed puppies was cited as the main reason for early old age. As a result, their body receives a strong portion of stress, which negatively affects overall well-being. Outrunning growth is closely related to the activity of free radicals. sources of cancer and other serious diseases.
Another hypothesis of the American scientist Dr. Woodson associates early aging with a strong concentration of growth hormone, which has a fatal effect on the general condition of the body and causes premature old age at excessive concentrations. In addition, according to Woodson, canine giants have more plaque in the paste, which is also a negative factor. Therefore, it is recommended to periodically clean the mouth of your pet, regardless of the size of its body.
How long do dogs live at home?
Again, it all depends on external factors, especially on nutrition, the number, duration and intensity of walks, medical factors.
However, large pets, even with ideal conditions in the apartment, will still live less than yard ones. Still, the apartment is not for large animals, nature cannot be fooled.
The main thing is care and responsibility. Your tailed family member is a living being who is devoted to you for the rest of his life. Love him, take care of him, and he will repay you for your love a hundredfold.
Dog Life Table:
Average life expectancy (years)
Long-livers or not?
Every owner dreams that the dog will delight him as long as possible. When wondering how long a Chihuahua lives, you need to remember that the smaller the breed of the dog, the longer it will live. This pattern is applicable in most cases. But not in relation to too miniature pets, but specifically the so-called mini-chihuahuas weighing up to 1 kg. They are the least viable and much more susceptible to injury, disease and infection than other members of the breed. They need special care, special nutrition and tireless control. so that the animal does not harm itself. It is difficult to answer accurately enough how many mini Chihuahuas live, but their medium-sized brethren (up to 3 kg) live up to 15-17 years. There are also centenarians who delight their owners for 20 years. The smallest Chihuahuas, as a rule, do not live up to this age. Nevertheless, dogs in the mini category of larger size (from 1.5 to 1.8 kg), with proper care, can live up to 15 years.
What to do to make your pet live longer?
Even when choosing a Chihuahua, you can make an initial assumption about how long he will live. Carefully examine all the babies in the litter and give preference to not the smallest, otherwise you will probably get a sickly puppy. Make sure that the head is not very big and the eyes are not too bulging. The healthier your baby is, the longer it will live with proper care.
The lifespan of a dog largely depends on its lifestyle. it should be moderately active. Of course, a Chihuahua, like any small dog, does not need a lot of exercise to feel fit. Just make sure that the animal moves regularly and is in the fresh air. It is not worth keeping an animal on a leash or in your arms for days on end. Remember that life is in motion. Also, take care of proper nutrition for your dog, making sure to include protein in the diet. In many ways, it depends on the actions of the owners how many chihuahuas live.
How long do Chihuahuas live, and how to extend this period
Since childhood, many have dreamed of having a small shaggy pet, which will not only brighten up their leisure time, but also become a real friend. Chihuahuas in this case are an excellent choice. they are smart enough, grow up quickly and perfectly understand people’s emotions. But it’s not enough to have a friend, you want to spend as much time with him as possible. Therefore, many are wondering how many years Chihuahuas live.
How dogs grow up?
It is believed that the age of a dog is comparable to that of a person in a ratio of about 1 to 7. That is, a one-year-old puppy is approximately equal to a first-grader in intelligence and development level. This is not entirely true. the development of a dog is somewhat different from that of a human. This is the opinion of the American scientist B. Foster. He compiled a table showing the approximate age of the dog in terms of the human life cycle. The scientist studied the characteristics of the behavior of animals and came to the conclusion that a 2-month-old puppy can be correlated with a child of 14 months. One year old dog. as a 14-year-old teenager, a five-year-old dog is comparable to a 40-year-old man. Animals over 10 years old are comparable to retirees. For example, a 10-year-old dog feels like a person at 65, and a 16-year-old. like an old man at 89.
It turns out that a dog that lives for more than 16 years is a real long-liver. But our task with you is to find out how many Chihuahuas live. It is worth noting that dogs of this breed mature earlier than others. By 10-12 months, they reach psychological and physiological maturity. At about 6-7 months, growth stops, and up to 10 months, the strengthening of the skeleton and muscles continues.
Chihuahua Dogs and Puppies: Lifespan, Temperament & Facts | Petplan
A few facts about Chihuahua
1) Chihuahuas like to hide under pillows or other hard-to-reach spaces. This does not mean that your pet is scared or does not want to be in your company. This is the nature of this breed.
2) Being the smallest dogs, they are nevertheless considered to be among the most resilient. Chihuahuas very rarely get sick and are able to cover a fairly long distance on foot.
3) Long-haired individuals are more docile, and short-haired ones are more active and wayward.
4) Perhaps no dog breed exists as long as Chihuahuas live. They appeared in the Inca era and were revered as sacred animals for a long time.
5) Everyone is familiar with the sight of a trembling Chihuahua. This behavior is usually triggered by stress or an unfamiliar environment. You should not try to warm the baby. over time, he will calm down, and the trembling will go away by itself.
Now you know exactly how many Chihuahuas live at home and how to extend their lifespan. Probably only love should be added to this. sincere care will definitely help your pet to feel irreplaceable and live a long and happy life next to you.
Implicit causes of premature death
The high rate of early mortality is more often due to the lack of competence and proper care of the ward on the part of the owner. The animal can receive physical injuries incompatible with life due to the negligence and carelessness of the owner.
Lack of competence in breeding work often leads to the birth of sick offspring. Treating an unhealthy litter is expensive, so sick puppies are often thrown out into the street. At best, they end up in dog shelters. Stray dogs are caught and put to sleep by specialized services.
An unsocialized animal poses a threat to society. The dog can throw itself at people passing cars, which can lead to tragedy. A trained and socialized dog is friendly to others, behaves adequately and predictably. Understanding and executing basic commands can help to avoid accidents, unauthorized escape from the owner.
Infectious diseases are rightfully one of the main reasons for the early death of an animal. The following diseases pose a threat to the health and life of the Chihuahua: sepsis, leptospirosis, parvovirus, canine distemper and rabies. Timely vaccination minimizes the risk of contracting the listed infections.
Sterilized / neutered Chihuahua dogs are not susceptible to nervous disorders, the development of cancers of the uterus and ovaries (in females), testes and prostate (in males), therefore they live longer.
How many years does a Chihuahua live at home?
Any living organism sooner or later ceases to exist on earth. Departure into another world we, people, call death. And the time interval between the date of birth and death is usually called the term. life expectancy. The value is not constant and depends on a number of factors. Some are controlled by humans, others are not.
Surprisingly, according to the laws of nature, there is a correlation between the size of a living creature and the duration of its life. Whales and elephants, living for more than 100 years, occupy the leading places in the rating of centenarians among mammals.
Nature decreed otherwise with dogs. The rating of centenarians among dogs is occupied by decorative breeds such as Yorkshire Terrier, German and Pomeranian Spitz, Pug, Chihuahua. For comparison, the average lifespan of a Labrador retriever is 10-13 years. “Then how many years do Chihuahuas live?” you ask.
In search of the answer, you can look at the official Chihuahua breed standard. The document says in black and white that the average lifespan of a Chihuahua is 12-16 years. Figures are derived from social surveys and statistics, and in reality may vary considerably. Some reputable publications adhere to the values: 15-18 years. As you can see, there is no single answer to the question posed.
There are cases of longevity, when a Chihuahua dog lives up to two decades. So on the Internet there are rumors about a Chihuahua named “Megabyte”, which, as various news publications assure, died at the age of 20 years and 265 days. The sources did not provide confirming reliable reports and documents. There is an opinion that the information is falsified. “Believe it or not?”. you decide. I believe that 20 years is a completely attainable life span for a Chihuahua. True, there are a number of nuances.
Life Extension Tips
To a greater extent, the life expectancy of a Chihuahua depends not only on the general state of health, but also on extraordinary (unforeseen) circumstances, care and care. Here are some tips to help you avoid tragic accidents and keep your pet healthy for years to come:
- Walk your dog outside strictly on a leash. Use a harness instead of a collar;
- The optimal duration of walks in the fresh air is 1-2 hours daily, provide the animal with moderate physical activity;
- Teach your pet basic commands: “Fu!”, “Come to me!”, “Sit!”, “Next!” and others. The dog must be obedient and socialized;
- Educate children on how to handle animals. Contact with children under the age of 4-5 years should be carried out under the close supervision of the owner;
- Cleanliness is the key to health. Wet cleaning should be done more often in the apartment;
- Organize a personal space where the dog can be alone, away from the hustle and bustle of the house;
- Make the necessary vaccinations, conduct revaccination in a timely manner;
- Avoid hypothermia or overheating of the pet’s body, exclude drafts and prolonged exposure to the sun;
- In cold periods of the year, put on specialized warm clothing for the dog before going outside;
- Feed balanced and wholesome food;
- Visit the veterinary clinic annually for preventive examinations;
- Pay special attention to the oral cavity, regularly examine and clean it;
- Move around the apartment carefully, watch your step;
- Eliminate possible contact with potentially hazardous household appliances and chemicals.
Advice may seem trivial, but for some reason many neglect it, which often leads to tragedy. Be attentive to the health of your Chihuahua, holte and cherish, then he will live a long and happy life.
How old is in one dog year?
From the table above, it follows that in the first year of life, the Chihuahua has an intense growth rate. Sexual maturity occurs at 6-8 months. Mature age begins at 6 years, and the elderly at 12. Individuals who have lived up to 17 years or more are recognized as centenarians.
How many years do you think Chihuahuas live at home? Do you have a story of your own to share? Or maybe you are a witness to longevity? Write, comment, do not hesitate! Your opinion really matters to me.
Factors affecting the lifespan of a Chihuahua:
- Diet. The diet should be balanced, rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, have a high energy value, fully meet the nutritional needs of the dog. Read: What to feed a Chihuahua?
- Body mass. The normal weight of a Chihuahua ranges from 1.5-3 kg. Abnormality, obesity or dystrophy, increases the risk of developing severe ailments that shorten the Chihuahua‘s lifespan.
- Healthcare. Regular preventive examinations of the animal by the veterinarian contribute to the timely diagnosis and treatment of diseases at the initial stage. For dogs under 8 years old, it is enough to be observed in the veterinary clinic annually, at an older age. 2 times per year.
- Genetics. Offspring resulting from crossing genetically healthy parents are most likely to inherit the positive genetic traits of their ancestors.
- Care and conditions of detention. The breed is exclusively for home keeping, is afraid of sudden changes in temperature and cold, requires careful care and caring attitude to itself. Prone to dental problems: tooth decay, tooth loss, gingivitis.
- Floor. According to statistics, female Chihuahuas live 1-2 years longer than males. The cause of the universal injustice is not clear. However, the bitch’s active participation in breeding work reduces her life expectancy by a couple of years.
- Activity level. Movement is life. Wise words spoken by Aristotle. Indeed, any living creature that is daily exposed to moderate physical activity, lives a long and healthy life. Chihuahua is no exception. Physical activity helps to burn excess fat, build muscle, strengthen ligaments and joints, and maintain immunity.
We humans are long-livers compared to our pets, but the caring and attentive attitude of the owner forms a solid foundation for a long and high-quality life of a dog.
How long do Chihuahuas live??
In society, such a concept as “mini chihuahua” has become entrenched. These are representatives of the breed, miniature in size, weighing no more than 1.5 kg, and no more than 12 cm tall at the withers. They represent a breed marriage, often with genetic and anatomical defects. Initially, they were rarely offered on the market and at a lower cost.
The incidence of underweight puppies has become more frequent over time. Unscrupulous breeders turned the situation in their favor, began to pass off a serious disadvantage for an advantage. over, the cost of miniature puppies has grown significantly in relation to standard representatives.
Unfortunately, the consumer liked the “novelty”, so the demand for the Chihuahua mini began to grow rapidly. And demand, as you know, generates supply. Breeders began to abuse the breed standards for the sake of profit, working on breeding as miniature offspring as possible. This is how the informal classification of Chihuahuas into mini and standard appeared in society. Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI) classification not recognized.
How long do you think Chihuahua mini live? According to statistics collected on the basis of social surveys, on average no more than 8 years. The lifespan of the Chihuahua mini is reduced by all sorts of anatomical and genetic abnormalities. Miniature representatives of the breed have an underdeveloped immune system, an increased risk of physical injury and mutilation. This directly affects the high rate of premature mortality, because excellent health is the key to longevity.
Perhaps now the defenders will come running and begin to accuse me of a bias towards miniature individuals, to refute my words with foaming at the mouth. Yes, there are cases when a mini Chihuahua lives for more than 10 years, but this is an exception to the rule. I operate with facts and statistics, so my opinion is unshakable.
Chihuahua training course
All the secrets of Chihuahua training in our author’s book! Raise an intelligent and obedient Chihuahua in 30 days. this is real! See for yourself!
The lifespan of a Chihuahua is 15-20 years, although centenarians who have crossed the 20-year line are also recorded. But at this age, the dog no longer experiences the same joy from life, since the body’s functions fade away.
The age of 15 years for a Chihuahua is equated to a human elderly. At 20, he feels like a 90-year-old man, and at 22, he crosses the 100-year milestone by human standards.
Chihuahuas live less, the weight of which is less than 1 kg (the standard is from one and a half to 3 kg). This is due to the fact that they have a very fragile skeleton, more genetic problems and they are more vulnerable to canine diseases than the larger representatives of the breed. For Chihuahuas mini 10 years is the deepest old age, but their average life expectancy is from 5 to 7 years. Long-haired ones live as long as short-haired ones. Small dogs live a long time. longer than large breeds. This is due to the fact that weight directly affects the load on the body. In large dogs, the musculoskeletal system and internal organs, especially the heart, wear out faster. But small pets are more stressed and prone to tantrums.
Factors affecting longevity
The main factors that can affect a pet’s longevity are:
- compliance with all rules for vaccination and antiparasitic treatment;
- correct physical activity;
- reproductive function (in bitches).
It is necessary for the dog to find the optimal regime of keeping and feeding in compliance with the requirements for the breed. The calorie intake of a daily portion should not exceed the rate determined by veterinarians.
Symptoms are alarming for dogs that require an urgent visit to the veterinary clinic:
- behavior has changed for no apparent reason;
- taste preferences have changed (for example, eating their own excrement);
- appearance has deteriorated.
Sneezes are prone to overeating and obesity. Dry food is preferred for this dog. Firstly, they have already determined the norm for the dog for the day. And secondly, Chihuahuas belong to brachycephalics. a dog with shortened nasal passages. Therefore, when eating, periodically sneezes periodically grunts, as if suffocating, more often this happens if he has liquid and soft food. The third advantage of drying is that it helps to clean the teeth from plaque. Dogs on natural and wet food have a higher odor from the mouth.
Of the genetic defects, the most unpleasant is hydrocephalus, or dropsy of the brain. This is due to the fact that Chihuahuas are born with an underdeveloped skull. With a developmental disorder, cerebrospinal fluid begins to flow into it. According to the description, the shape of the skull of a sick dog resembles a light bulb. The prognosis for hydrocephalus is disappointing.
Sexual maturity in bitches begins in the second year of life. In the first heat, it is advisable not to knit a dog, but later, if they are not brought together with males, health problems may begin. But it is impossible to knit a Chihuahua in every estrus: frequent pregnancies deplete the animal, and such a regime leads to the fact that the bitch rarely lives up to 10 years.
Although many consider sterilization to be violence against nature, hormonal drugs that are given to animals are on the list of undesirable consequences of malignant neoplasms of the reproductive organs. Therefore, the owners must determine for themselves how to avoid health problems of the sneeze girl.
As with any breed of dog, the lifespan of a Chihuahua varies based on various factors. Some of them are subject to human control, others are not subject to our influence. According to general data, the physiological characteristics of a particular animal can affect life expectancy.
All Chihuahuas are susceptible to colds and may suffer from hypothermia.
In addition, the representatives of the breed have a predisposition to diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Babies can stand on their hind legs and lead an active lifestyle, but they often suffer from jumping and can fall under the feet of the owner or family members. You have to walk them with great attention. The life span of dogs is influenced by the sex of the individuals. According to statistics, Chihuahua girls live on average 2-3 years longer than their male counterparts.
You can extend the life of a pet by observing all the rules for caring for its coat and oral health. By the way, it is the second factor that is its vulnerability. Almost all dogs of this breed suffer from diseases such as tooth decay, calculus and gum disease. A special toothpaste has been developed for the oral hygiene of these babies. It is necessary to cleanse it every day, removing plaque that forms after eating.
It is important to monitor the condition of your ears and claws. Ears are cleaned with cotton pads, moistening them in warm boiled water. Dogs are brushed and bathed more often than cats. When washing, use zoo shampoos with a mild effect. Dogs should not be bathed in cold weather, left after bathing in open windows or in places of drafts. Wool can be dried with a warm hair dryer.
For combing, special combs are selected that do not injure the skin and correspond to the length of the coat of a particular individual. The claws are cut about 2 times a month. In order to shorten the duration of the procedure, they use a special device. a nail clipper for small animal breeds. At the same time, you need to trim the claws little by little, so as not to injure the soft tissues. The hair between the pads is cut.
When purchasing a small decorative puppy, the owner wants to know how many chihuahuas live. From food, care, living conditions depends not only on how healthy the dog will be, but also how long it will live.
Some people prefer to compare the age of the Chihuahua with the age of the person. You can determine this indicator by the following correspondence table:
|Person’s age (years)||Dog age (years)|
It should be borne in mind that depending on age, the behavior of the baby also changes.
Implicit causes of premature death
The premature death of a pet can be associated with a variety of factors. The least obvious ones that cannot be influenced include:
- genetic predisposition;
- health problems that develop with aging;
- improper examination by a veterinarian.
Other factors can be influenced. For example, at the time of the walk, you need to be careful not to take your eyes off your baby.
As for the stay of the Chihuahua in the fresh air, it is important to note for yourself: the dog needs daily walks, without them it loses activity and becomes lethargic. They help to strengthen the immune system, maintain muscle tone and acquire socialization skills. Dogs must be physically active, otherwise they are attacked by diseases. However, walking in bad weather is undesirable.
Walking in the fresh air is the prevention of many diseases.
Of course, any extreme is unacceptable, we cannot talk about any strength exercises and exhausting running. However, the animal can do some exercises, for example, it can be a short run or an active game. Due to such mobility, it will be possible to ensure the constant burning of excess fat deposits.
It will promote hardening and be a measure for the prevention of ailments. Neglecting to walk will shorten life expectancy. No excuse can dissociate itself from this fact. A litter box is no substitute for walking, nor is airing a room. The dog cannot play by itself, it needs the attention of the breeder.
As for walking in the cold season, there are some nuances here. To keep the animal from freezing, you need to buy special clothes for it. For example, it could be a sweater or jacket. On especially frosty days, you should not go outside, but if the weather is favorable, you can let your pet frolic (provided that he has completed a routine vaccination course).
Factors that affect the lifespan of a Chihuahua
The description of the breed indicates that under favorable living conditions, representatives of the breed live for at least 15 years.
Even with proper care, the period is reduced to 10 years. This is due to the following factors:
- Genetics. In order to determine the number of years that a dog can live, just look at the parents. If the mother died early due to a large number of ailments, then there is a likelihood of a decrease in the number of years allotted to the pet.
- Health status. Veterinarian studies show that the breed rarely gets sick. The most common ailments concern the heart; problems with vision and breathing may occur. The predisposition to diseases is not always transmitted through a genetic line.
- The atmosphere in the home can also affect longevity. How many years Chihuahua dogs live largely depends on the stability of the psyche. If you do not pay attention to your pet, then he will begin to mope and soon get sick. With an increase in the number of stressful situations, it leads to the appearance of health problems.
- Food. Improper diet is also the reason why the dog develops health problems. You can not rush from one extreme to another. If you buy quality feed from well-known manufacturers, you can maintain health over a long period.
- The lifespan of a Chihuahua depends on how the atmosphere is maintained in the house. The breed in question cannot live on the street, there should be no drafts in the house. A damp and cold house leads to the development of serious diseases.
- Health monitoring. You need to visit the veterinarian periodically with your pet. If you neglect the visits, you can skip the onset of the development of a serious illness.
- The baby should not be subjected to strong physical exertion. You can not load them with such loads as other, older dogs. However, if you constantly wear it under the armpit, then all muscles can atrophy.
- The weight. The standard states that the weight of the dog should vary in the range of 1.5-3 kg. But there are also small representatives that weigh about 1 kg. They are most susceptible to various diseases.
- High probability of an accident. The small size makes the puppy difficult to find in the dark. If there are small children in the house, you also need to pay attention to their play with the dog.
- If it is wrong to castrate a baby, there is a possibility of developing various diseases. However, as practice shows, a spayed dog will live much longer.
- Proper oral care will increase the lifespan. If mouth health is poor, bacteria can enter the bloodstream.
- Timely vaccination. The usual course of vaccination, which is carried out at the appropriate age, significantly prolongs the life of the dog. This procedure must be performed by a specialist.
- Correct diet. In puppies and adults, the diet is significantly different. For babies, you need to purchase special formulations, pay attention to the correct transition from natural food to dry food.
- Floor. According to statistics, girls live much more than boys.
Important! Hereditary factors can significantly extend the life of a pet. Therefore, it is recommended to take a puppy in a good kennel.
Considering how many Chihuahuas live at home, it must be borne in mind that age largely influences behavior. Over time, the activity of the baby decreases significantly, he begins to sleep more.
Experts recommend paying more attention to outdoor activities at an early age. This is due to the fact that later attention and affection will be required when the dog grows up.