What is a table for?
The table contains important data on the weight and height of the pet in each month of its life. If the dog quickly gained weight, and then suddenly lost weight, do not panic, you can always compare the real data and information from the table. Sometimes it is normal for a puppy to lose or gain weight at a particular time in life. A small dog does not move much, so it gains weight better. Having learned to stand normally, and then run, the puppy quickly gets rid of extra pounds.
Official data helps the breeder to decide which category a puppy belongs to, whether it belongs to:
- standard mowing line (adults weigh from 2.3 to 3 kg);
- small standard (1.8-2.3 kg);
- mini dogs (1.5-1.8 kg);
- super miri mowing line (0.5-1.5kg).
If necessary, then, focusing on the data obtained, they try to straighten the puppy’s weight (they feed more or less, walk more often).
The weight of the puppy must be controlled according to a special table
Deviations from the norm
Deviations from the breed norm are common. But all of them are mostly associated with the genetic characteristics of a particular puppy or with improper care by the owners. So, if a dog is underfed, starting from birth, then it grows even more miniature than it should be. Overfeeding the Chihuahua is also not worth it, they love to eat very much and they never refuse excess food in the bowl. If at the same time the dog does not move enough, there is a risk of obesity, which will have to be dealt with by medical methods.
A deviation is considered to be too large a dog. 24-25 cm at the withers is almost the limit for the male. Females are even smaller. Chihuahuas, whose growth was small from birth, usually do not reach standard parameters, always maintaining a minimum body weight.
How old do the representatives of the breed grow
The puppy’s weight and height are actively changing during the first month of life. The weight doubles every day. But it is possible to understand what size the dog will be only after it is 1 year old. By this time, most puppies have reached the weight and height of an adult dog. But they do not stop growing. The body of dogs stops changing by 1.5 years.
Important! An adult dog is considered to be at the age of 1 year. But even after that it grows for another six months, most often in width.
Gradually, the formed fat layer will disappear, and the dog will become lean. Naturally, if the owner takes care that he eats right. If the dog eats well, moves a lot, but is still too fat, contact your veterinarian.
Chihuahua mini weighs about 1.5 kg. Height at the withers is about 14-16 cm.At the same time, varieties are not indicated in the breed standard, they simply do not exist, the parameter for classifying dogs by height and weight was introduced by the breeders for convenience.
Minis have the same playful personality as most of the larger breed members. They are affectionate and sociable, but they need firm guidance from the owner. Otherwise, dogs grow up to be aggressive, cowardly and hysterical.
What determines the size and weight of a Chihuahua
The size and weight of the dog depends on the following factors:
- the puppy belongs to one of 3 varieties. the lines found in the breed. It is genetic characteristics that determine the size of a dog. So, some puppies grow massive, while others, even by the standards of their breed, remain miniature. Various genetic diseases affect height and weight. If the puppy is not growing, you need to show it to the veterinarian;
- time of mating and estrus. If the dog has walked ahead of time, then it may stop growing and fail to meet the standard requirements for height and weight imposed on the breed;
- the quality of life. The puppy must be fed according to the requirements of its age and breed. It is impossible to underfeed or overfeed a dog for the sake of obtaining an ideal size pet. Undernourished puppies at an early age, reaching adulthood, really remain very small, but they often develop vitamin deficiency, chronic diseases of internal organs and extremities;
- physical activity. The dog is very mobile, but there are puppies that are not prone to long races. They often get fat, usually shorter at the withers than other members of the breed.
Note! The weight of the dog is also related to the parameters that were inherent in him from birth. If a newborn puppy weighed no more than 80 g, then there is a high probability that an adult will weigh quite a bit. 1.5-2 kg. A puppy born with a weight of 150-170 g can weigh up to 3 kg upon reaching one year. A special table helps to determine the exact weight of the puppy.
What should be the proportions of the dog
Chihuahua is a very small dog. Its purebredness is evidenced by the compliance of its appearance with the following parameters:
- the body is compact, tiny and even lean. The muscles are clearly visible, the back is straight, the buttocks are rounded. The height of the dog at the withers is 23 cm, the bitch is 18 cm;
- the head has the shape of an uneven circle, sometimes resembling an apple. There is a fontanel on the skull. a molera;
- the nose is slightly upturned;
- eyes are round, large, often dark, but sometimes dogs with light eyes are found;
- the tail is curved in a semicircle and elongated. The tip of the tail always looks towards the loin if the dog is calm and not irritated by anything. In dogs, in an excited state, the tail is twisted into a ring;
- limbs are strong, sinewy;
- ears are large, elongated, always erect. The tips of the ears are rounded;
- there are long-haired and short-haired dogs. The short-haired breed has a soft shiny coat. Long-haired dogs have a beautiful collar on the chest and wide trousers on their paws. The tip of the tail is fluffy. Straight hair;
- the most common dogs are speckled, chocolate, red or speckled. The color of the coat does not affect the purity of the breed, it can be any.
Note! Chihuahuas are playful, very active, it is not easy to keep up with them, so the dog should not be let off the leash if the owner does not have the proper degree of mobility. Alternatively, you can teach the dog special commands, that you need to constantly return to the person. They learn quickly. It’s easy to lose a small dog in a crowd.
Chihuahua weight by month and week: table
Chihuahua is the smallest dog in the world. The ancestors of these loyal and brave miniature dogs lived in South America. The breed is ancient, known since the time of the Toltec Indians. Modern representatives have gained great popularity among lovers of pygmy dogs. When determining the purity of the breed, attention is paid to the appearance, height, shape of the ears and eyes. Chihuahua weight must also meet certain standards, and it is described below.
What to do if puppy development is lagging behind?
If there are deviations in the height and weight of the puppy from the breed standards, then in cases where the weight exceeds the norm, it is not worth doing anything before its 12 months of age. Even with a significant excess of weight, this is not scary, most likely, everything will return to normal when the puppy is fully formed like an adult dog. This is not uncommon in Chihuahuas.
If, on the contrary, the puppy lags behind in weight from the lowest thresholds of its type, then you should assess the situation and find the cause of the deviations with the help of a veterinarian. Common reasons for this are as follows:
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- intolerance to any food components;
- oppression of the pet by other puppies or animals;
- congenital diseases;
- lack of attention from the owner and other family members;
- the presence of worms and insects.
Having identified the cause, you should eliminate it, if this is possible, or reconcile and surround your pet even more with your attention and care.
What determines the size and weight of a Chihuahua?
Buying a Chihuahua puppy, it looks impossible to understand what kind of adult he will become. There are too many factors on which the final result of the size and weight of dogs of this breed depends. Let us list the main ones and briefly describe the degree of influence on the size of an individual individual. The standards do not apply to the growth of adults, but the general indicators range from 18 to 25 centimeters. The weight of pets is controlled more strictly, for participation in exhibitions the maximum weight indicator is 3 kilograms, all dogs over this indicator are not allowed to participate.
There are general standard indicators that help owners determine the normal development of their puppies, but do not forget that each dog has its own individual characteristics, including the totality of genetics (up to five generations), food, and habitat. Mini Chihuahuas can give birth to mini and standard puppies, like a standard female.
- Puppy weight at birth. This indicator is one of the main ones by which you can preliminarily determine the weight of a puppy in adulthood. Below is a table by which you can present the approximate size of your pet, if you know with what weight he was born (by type and weight).
|Puppy weight at birth||Puppy weight at birth||Puppy weight at birth||Puppy weight at birth|
|70. 80 grams||90. 120 grams||125. 130 grams||145. 170 grams|
|Type: dwarf||Type: small||Type: medium||Type: large|
|Adult dog weight: 1. 1.4 kg||Adult dog weight: 1.7. 1.9 kg||Adult dog weight: 2.1. 2.3 kg||Adult dog weight: 2.5. 3.0 kg|
There is an approximate table indicating the norms of weight by week:
- 1st week. from 100 to 270 grams;
- 3rd week. from 170 to 500 grams;
- 6th week. from 255 to 765 grams;
- 8th week. from 310 to 950 grams;
- 10th week. from 370 grams to 1.07 kilograms;
- 15th week. from 540 grams to 1.5 kilograms;
- 24th week. from 740 grams to 2.2 kilograms;
- 1 year and 6 months. from 908 grams to 3 kilograms.
It should be understood that the weight table has relative indicators, so you should not limit puppies from a balanced diet, trying to achieve a minimum weight. Perhaps a sneeze puppy is large to avoid disease. It is worthwhile to properly monitor the health of the puppies, they need normal nutrition for healthy growth.
- Weight by month. If there is no data on birth weight, but the date of birth of the puppy is known, then the following table will help, which determines the estimated type of size and weight of an adult animal, depending on its development (weight) by months after birth.
|Age||Type: dwarf||Type: small||Type: medium||Type: large|
|1 month||200. 230 grams||270. 370 grams||455. 485 grams||540. 650 grams|
|2 months||315. 455 grams||550. 610 grams||680. 764 grams||825. 1050 grams|
|3 months||425. 540 grams||625. 855 grams||940. 1050 grams||1.17. 1.4 kg|
|4 months||570. 710 grams||855. 1110 grams||1.25. 1.39 kg||1.54. 1.82 kg|
|5 months||680. 855 grams||995. 1116 grams||1.48. 1.65 kg||1.82. 2.15 kg|
|6 months||745. 945 grams||1.11. 1.45 kg||1.65. 1.85 kg||2.02. 2.41 kg|
|Adult dog (1.5 years old)||1.0. 1.2 kg||1.4. 1.9 kg||2.1. 2.3 kg||2.5. 3.0 kg|
Referring to the data in the table, one should, of course, take into account that its indicators are standard requirements for the breed, but they cannot predict 100% how a dog will look at 18 months of age, when its growth and formation of the whole organism ends. from character before physical development. True, the breeders are sure that the growth of puppies of this breed stops as early as 8 or 9 months, and after that it builds muscle mass for several months in order to have its final adult appearance by the year after birth.
- The growth of a normally developed dog in adulthood ranges from 18 to 25 centimeters, and the best weight is considered to be 1.5-2 kg, although the breed standards allow for a weight of up to 3 kg. A weight over 3 kg indicates an obese dog.
- Pedigree indicators. An important factor that significantly determines the development of puppies from birth. This indicator can affect the offspring even after 5 generations. Therefore, when choosing a puppy to participate in various exhibitions, you should carefully study his pedigree.
- The number of puppies in the litter, among which your pupil was born. Here everything is inversely proportional. the larger the litter, the less the weight of each puppy, and vice versa. But with good care and proper feeding, puppies will begin to develop fully in accordance with the characteristics inherent in their genes. You can more reliably judge how puppies will grow up at the age of 3 months. Until that time, even the sickest puppies from a large litter should achieve good performance if they have excellent health and excellent pedigree.
- Care and feeding. The conditions of keeping and feeding significantly affect the health of puppies, determining their condition and development. Given the miniature size of Chihuahua dogs, it is necessary to create special. one might say, gentle. conditions for these babies. And organize feeding according to all the necessary norms, while carefully monitoring their development: control weight gain. every week in the first month of life, monthly. in other periods of their growth up to 18 months of life. According to experts, from 3 to 12 months of age, the weight gain of normally developing puppies should, on average, be at least 80-100 grams per month. After a year of life, the weight gain drops sharply.
Chihuahua weight by month
Chihuahua dogs are popular due to their small size and weight, they are considered companion dogs, which is not surprising. you can take them everywhere with you. Consider the characteristics of the breed, as well as the weight of puppies and adult dogs.
2 month old chihuahua’s FIRST BATH!! cuteness overload
Breed history and characteristics
Compared to other miniature dogs, Chihuahuas were born naturally rather than through selection. The roots of this breed stretch back to the time of the ancient Mayans and Aztecs, where dogs were considered sacred, and only the nobility had the right to keep them. On the territory of modern Mexico, archaeological scientists constantly stumble upon ancient images of this breed and find the bones of miniature dogs. In those days they were called techichi.
After the destruction of ancient civilizations, poor dogs were considered a delicacy and hunted. The animals were forced to leave for the woods. And only a few centuries later, European sailors began to import this breed to Europe, after which breeders appeared with the further sale of puppies.
Due to the natural appearance of the Chihuahua breed, it does not have genetic pathologies and other abnormalities, it is distinguished by its resistance and good immunity. All thanks to natural selection and wild wandering life.
Despite the difficulty, imagine this situation, but Chihuahuas are tamed wild dogs.
Mini Chihuahuas at birth most often weigh about 80 grams, and standard type puppies weigh between 80 and 120 grams. Heavy-weight puppies are medium to large types of this breed. It may depend on the number of puppies in the litter. If the female has delivered from one to three puppies, then sneezes are likely to be of medium to large sizes. Larger litters mean less weight per puppy.
The growth and weight stop in puppies occurs at 8 months, and reliable predictions can be made when the brood is 3 months old. By this time, the puppies are gaining most of their weight. Chihuahua puppies have excess body fat, which helps to avoid many diseases.
Excessive weight in puppies is not a cause for concern, as over time, when they become stronger, the necessary harmony and the correct size ratio will appear.
General characteristics of the breed
A striking distinctive feature of the breed is its large head, shaped like an apple. When buying this breed, you should pay attention to the strength of the back and neck, which is an indicator of a healthy and good pedigree.
The dogs have three color options. Solid color is common, but there is also double color and spots. Sometimes you can find puppies of merle color, which is an indicator of some kind of marriage. This color appeared during selection attempts. Puppies with this color are more likely to have pathologies and abnormalities.
The eyes of these decorative dogs are often dark, but there are exceptions, which is also considered natural. Depending on the color, the color of the nose changes. a lighter color means a lighter shade of the nose and vice versa.
Chihuahuas are short-haired and long-haired. However, both the first and the second are considered indicators of the breed.
There are two divisions within the breed itself.
- Cobby type. more stocky dogs with a snub-nosed muzzle.
- Deer type. dogs with thin long legs are more miniature; they are often confused with toy terriers.
It is impossible to unequivocally determine how much an adult chihuahua should weigh without taking into account the pedigree and individual characteristics. There are certain desirable standards, when calculating which it is impossible to sweep aside the individual indicators of dogs. Figures for adults range from 1.5 to 3 kilograms, and overweight dogs are more likely to be overweight.
In terms of size, two types of sneezes are distinguished:
Interesting fact: small males and large females are used for breeding Chihuahuas.
For the peculiarities of caring for this breed, see below.
Chihuahua parameters: standard sizes and weights, a table of the growth of puppies by month and factors affecting their development
Chihuahuas are dogs famous for their small size and low weight.
Due to the fact that in this breed there are several varieties that differ from each other in growth, then all Chihuahuas grow in different ways.
What should be the weight of a Chihuahua puppy, depending on its age, how many months will it grow and how much will it weigh when it grows up? And what to do if, despite seemingly good care and proper feeding, the Chihuahua does not gain weight well?
What to do if the weight is lagging behind?
First of all, this issue worries the owners of Chihuahua girls, since females whose weight is 2 kg or more are allowed for breeding.
But the owners of boys of this breed may be worried that the pet does not live up to the standard, while some of them are worried that the dog may be disqualified at the show, while others are worried that the standard and large chihuahuas have better health than their smaller mini and, moreover, micro relatives.
What to do if the Chihuahua’s weight does not reach the requirements of the standard?
First, you need to find out what the lack of weight or height may be associated with. If this is a hereditary problem, for example, if the puppy belongs to the mowing line, whose representatives grow up late, then you just need to wait until the pet becomes completely adult and grows up completely.
In the event that a Chihuahua puppy grows poorly due to improper cultivation or due to an illness transferred at an early age, then you need to consult a veterinarian and ask him to prescribe the most suitable vitamin and mineral supplements or other preparations for the pet.
Sometimes it makes sense to reconsider the pet’s nutrition or conditions of its keeping.
So, for example, for a Chihuahua eating natural food, it is recommended to increase the amount of protein products in the diet, moreover, it would be better not meat, but fermented milk. The ideal option here is cottage cheese, because in addition to protein, it also contains calcium, which is also necessary for the correct growth of the dog.
If the dog eats ready-made food, then you need to try to transfer it to a higher quality food, for example, transfer from premium to super-premium class.
Longer and more active walks with the Chihuahua will also be useful, however, you need to make sure that the pet does not overwork.
What affects the growth of a puppy?
The height and weight of a Chihuahua puppy is influenced by both hereditary factors and the conditions of detention and health status. How active your pet is can also affect how big it will grow.
The main factors that affect the development of a puppy:
- genetics. In representatives of this breed, it depends on heredity to what age the puppy will grow. Chihuahuas of some lines grow faster, others. slower. In addition, heredity also affects when a chihuahua bitch begins the first estrus, after which she, if it grows, then quite a bit;
- the quality of cultivation. The mini-dog fashion has spawned a trend towards weight loss in Chihuahua puppies. This, in turn, has led to the fact that some dishonest breeders, which it would be more correct to call breeders, deliberately underfed the babies of this breed so that they do not grow and remain miniature at the time of sale. Considering that Chihuahuas move to their new owners rather late. after three or even four months, it is not hard to guess what the consequences of such cultivation can lead to. As a result of underfeeding, puppies really grow poorly and do not gain weight, but in addition to this, they can also get vitamin deficiency, allergies, severely weakened immunity, metabolic disorders, as well as chronic diseases of various systems and organs;
- disease. After most serious diseases, the growth of the dog slows down or even stops altogether;
- feeding. Chihuahuas should receive complete, high-quality food, while it should be borne in mind that these dogs are prone to overeating and gaining weight. Therefore, it is very important to measure the size of the pet’s portion exactly almost to the gram. And in order for him to be healthy and grow well, you need to feed the Chihuahua either with premium ready-made food, or better, super-premium or holistic. If the dog eats natural products, then it is necessary that he receive a lot of protein foods, as well as foods containing calcium;
- activity. If a Chihuahua moves a lot, then he trains his muscles and develops physically. At the same time, excess weight is lost, which, perhaps, the pet has managed to gain. Also, puppies that are willing to run and play grow faster and in height.
How much will these Chihuahua puppies weigh full grown? | Sweetie Pie Pets by Kelly Swift
Chihuahua’s weight also depends on how much he weighed at birth.
A pet that weighs 70 to 80 grams at birth will grow very small. mini or even micro. A puppy weighing 80-120 grams at birth will turn out to be a small standard. And medium and large Chihuahuas weigh 120-145 and 145-170 grams at birth.
Puppy weight by month
This table shows the weight gain of a Chihuahua puppy by week and month:
|At birth||70-79 g||80-119 g||120-144 g||145-170 g|
|1 Week||106-113 g||142-184 g||198-227 g||255-269 g|
|2 weeks||142-156 g||184-255 g||284-312 g||354-383 g|
|3 weeks||170-198 g||227-312 g||369-397 g||454-496 g|
|1 month||200-230 g||270-370 g||455-485 g||540-650 g|
|2 months||315-370 g||455-610 g||680-765 g||825-1050 g|
|3 months||425-540 g||625-855 g||940-1050 g||1165-1400 g|
|4 months||570-710 g||855-1110 g||1250-1390 g||1535-1815 g|
|5 months||680-855 g||995-1305 g||1480-1645 g||1815-2150 g|
|6 months||745-945 g||1110-1450 g||1645-1845 g||2015-2410 g|
|Seven months||855-1035 g||1225-1655 g||1810-2045 g||2215-2670 g|
|8 months||965-1125 g||1340-1505 g||2100-2245 g||2415-2930 g|
|9 months||1000-1200g||1400-1860 g||1700-2300 g||2500-3000 g|
|10 months||1000-1200 g||1400-1900 g||1700-2300 g||2500-3000 g|
|11 months||1000-1200 g||1400-1900 g||1700-2300 g||2500-3000 g|
|12 months||1000-1200 g||1400-1900g||1700-1900 g||2500-3000 g|
As can be seen from the weight-by-age table, on average, representatives of this breed grow up to 8-10 months.
Some male puppies, once they reach a certain height, also stop growing. As a rule, this is due to hereditary reasons.
Dimensions of an adult Chihuahua
Despite the fact that the breed standard does not indicate the height at the withers, in standard dogs of this breed it is usually 18-23 cm.At the same time, unlike larger breeds, it is desirable that Chihuahua girls are larger than boys.
The length of the body, depending on the size of the dog and the allowable stretch index of 110, will be from 19.8 to 25.3 cm, while the minimum is 18 cm at the withers, and the maximum is 23 cm.
The girth of the chest, depending on the size and weight, can be from 26 to 37 cm, considering that the weight of the dog is approximately 1-3 kg.
Chihuahua growth chart. is it accurate? | Sweetie Pie Pets
Adult dog weight
Chihuahuas belong to those breeds, the weight of which does not depend on gender. If in other, larger dogs, it is believed that the male should be larger than the bitch and this is clearly indicated in the standard, then with the Chihuahua everything is different.
Based on the appropriateness of the breeding use of dogs of this breed, it can be argued that the weight of the bitch should be from 2 to 3 kg, otherwise problems may arise during the gestation of puppies and childbirth.
The male can be much smaller, but his weight should not be less than 500 grams.
Conclusion and conclusions
Chihuahuas are not large in size. These dogs, according to the breed standard, should weigh no more than 3 kg, and the lower permissible limit for their weight is indicated in 0.5 kg.
How quickly a puppy of this breed grows and what height and weight it will reach depends on many reasons, but feeding and caring for a pet plays an important role in this.
If a Chihuahua eats fully and efficiently, if he has never had serious health problems, if he moves a lot, then such a dog has every chance of reaching average height and weight.
Before buying, future owners of puppies of this breed are advised to ask the breeder about how much this or that baby weighed at birth, since this will help to more accurately determine the size of the dog when it becomes an adult.
How much should the puppy weigh??
Puppy weight depends on the dog’s breed and age. For an approximate calculation of the weight of a puppy of a certain breed, you can use the following table, for this you need to know the weight of an adult dog of a given breed.
accurate data on the weight of puppies of some breeds are given in the following table.
|1 month||2 months||3 months||4 months||5 months||6 months||Seven months||8 month||9 months||10 months||11 months||12 months||Adult|
|Bernese mountain dog||2.5-4.5||6-10||11-17||15-26||20-33||25-37||30-42||34-45||36-47||37-49||38-51||38-52|
|East European Shepherd||3.5-4.5||7-10||13-15||15-20||20-25||25-30|
If you know about the weight of puppies of other breeds, you can enter them in the comment form below, or provide a link to the source.
Chihuahua size comparison with other dwarf breeds
Chihuahua is the smallest dog breed in the world. This title is confirmed by the Guinness Book of Records. For clarity, let’s compare the size of the Chihuahua with other popular decorative dog breeds.
Chihuahua weight chart as you grow
Newborn Chihuahua puppies grow faster than large dog breeds. They are born with a weight of 70 to 155 grams. The correlation depends on the number of fetuses in the litter. With multiple pregnancies, the weight of puppies is close to 70-100 grams, and with infertile pregnancies it can reach 155 grams and more.
Up to 3 months of age, the offspring is actively gaining weight. In the interval from 3 to 6 months, the growth rate of the Chihuahua decreases. At 6 months of age, the puppy will be close to adult size. The end result is fixed at the age of 1 year. From this point on, the dog is considered an adult.
The approximate future weight of a Chihuahua puppy can be obtained using the following formula:
The calculation is based on measurements taken at the age of 8 weeks. For measurements, I recommend using a high-precision electronic balance. Let’s say an eight month old puppy weighs 600 grams. Let’s use the formula and substitute the value:
In total, at 1 year old the dog will preliminarily weigh: 6003 = 1800 grams.
In the meantime, if your pet is under 6 weeks old, you can use the table of average ranges.
|Newborn puppy||from 70 to 155|
|2 weeks||from 141 to 383|
|4 weeks||from 227 to 680|
|8 weeks||454 to 1134|
|3 months||from 680 to 1588|
|4 months||794 to 1815|
|6 months||from 1134 to 2722|
|Adult chihuahua||from 1361 to 4536|
Since the weight is not constant, the table presented is for informational purposes only. Download the full version of the table (jpg, 171 kb).
Remember that no forecasting method is 100% guaranteed.
Chihuahua dog standard sizes
Chihuahua is classified as a dwarf dog breed. The breed was officially recognized in 1904 by the American Kennel Club (AKC), and the first Chihuahua breed standard was developed in 1924. The official document has undergone several revisions, the last edition was made in 2010. You can get acquainted with the document on the official website of FCI or RKF, or by the link above.
Guided by the documentation of Russian and international canine organizations, it follows that the standard Chihuahua sizes are as follows:
Cynological organizations do not set strict restrictions on growth, therefore, these figures are preferable, but not restrictive. Height is measured in centimeters, from the withers (top of the shoulder blades) to the floor.
In Chihuahuas, the body length, as a rule, exceeds the value of the height by 2-7 cm. Females have a more elongated body shape than males.
Russian Cynological Federation (abbr. RKF) recognizes a Chihuahua weight exceeding 3 kg as a disqualifying defect. Body weight is allowed in the range of 500-1500 grams. Dogs that do not meet the conditions are generally not allowed to participate in breed shows. In modern realities, not every dog meets the established parameters.
Chihuahua’s actual weight and height
To understand how much a Chihuahua weighs, forget about the parameters specified in the standards of canine organizations. Their observance is necessary exclusively for participation in breed shows.
In reality, the optimal parameters of the dog are often different from the actual values. The normal height and weight of the Chihuahua should be determined in comparison with other members of the breed.
In 2018, a survey was conducted on the site. Visitors and subscribers were asked the question: “How many kilograms does your Chihuahua weigh?” The survey involved 3276 dog owners whose age was over 1 year. The results are as follows:
The survey showed that only 74% of Chihuahuas weigh less than 3 kg. Another 10% of dogs have a body weight in the range of 500 to 1500 grams. This weight is allowed by the RKF and FCI standards, which led to the malicious selection of dwarf representatives of the breed by unscrupulous breeders and nurseries. The result of their work: a mini chihuahua. The weight of an adult dog does not exceed 1.5 kg.
Cynologists and professional breeders claim that size has a close genetic relationship. To roughly estimate what scale the puppy will reach as it grows up, it is enough to pay attention to the “size” of its parents. Other factors affecting the size of an adult Chihuahua:
- the dog’s activity level;
- diet and food schedule;
- metabolic disorders;
- pathology of physiological development;
- inherited genes from previous generations.
Excess weight, as well as its lack, negatively affects the health of the pet. Veterinarians note that overly thin or well-fed dogs are more likely to suffer from diseases of the respiratory tract, cardiovascular and nervous systems. The same goes for small stature.
Chihuahua training course
All the secrets of Chihuahua training in our author’s book! Raise an intelligent and obedient Chihuahua in 30 days. this is real! See for yourself!
Puppy Weight Chart. Dwarf Breed
These tiny cuties grow much faster than large dogs and usually reach the weight of an adult by up to eight months.
If you don’t know the puppy’s birth weight, you can still calculate his adult weight. Just find his age (down the left column) and find the closest matching weight at that age, then go down that column to see how much weight he will have as an adult.
For example, if you have a 12 week old puppy that weighs 680 grams, then the closest one is between 600 grams and 700 grams, which means that your puppy weighed between 80 and 100 grams at birth.
Another way to determine the weight of an adult puppy is to take it at 6 weeks of age, double it, and then double it again. If you don’t know what his weight was at that age (most of us don’t), use the table above again to find his current age and weight.
Puppy weight table by month
Are you worried that your puppy is growing at an alarming rate? Or do you want to know how big your puppy will be when it grows up?
If so, here is a puppy weight chart for each breed size category that should answer the question “puppy weight by month!”
You will also get an idea of how much weight the puppy is gaining on average weekly, as well as how much weight to expect at each stage. Using these tables, you’ll know exactly what to expect as you get older.
What to do if you have a mixed breed puppy
If you have a mixed breed puppy, you may feel like you are completely in the dark, knowing, or even just guessing, how much weight your dog should be.
You can do this in two ways. You can take a look at all the weight charts on this page and see which chart works best for your puppy. Or if you wanted to be more precise, use a DNA test to see which breeds your puppy is mixing with. Then you will know which puppy weight chart to use.
The Wisdom Panel is a simple cheek swab test that will determine which breeds your puppy is bred with, and has over 250 breeds, types and varieties of dogs.
It can identify purebred ancestors over three generations, giving you a good idea of how much your puppy will weigh.
Weight of medium breeds of puppies
Medium breeds of puppies usually reach 99% of the weight of an adult dog between nine and ten months of age.
In general, the middle category consists of breeds that weigh between 10 and 20 kg.
There is some overlap with small breed sizes at the lower end of this scale and large dogs at the upper end.
Medium breed puppies include, but are not limited to: Border Collie, Bulldog, Cocker Spaniel, Corgi, English Springer Spaniel and Whippet.
For a dog in the “medium” size category, you can use the Monthly Weight Chart below to determine how much your puppy weighs when fully grown. You can also see how much it will weigh at each stage, for example, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 6 months, 8 months, etc.
Weight of small breeds of puppies
Small dogs usually grow faster than large dogs, but not as fast as dwarf breeds. They reach the weight of an adult dog from eight to twelve months.
Charles Spaniel, French Bulldog, Jack Russell Terrier, Pug and Shetland Sheepdog are bright representatives of small dog breeds.
In general, this includes rocks that are 5 to 10 kg in size, but there is some overlap with the size of the dwarf rock.
Small breeds tend to gain weight at a rate of 5-10% per day, which is about 140-220 grams per week. Let’s see the weight of the puppies by month.
Weight of small breeds of puppies by months. table
Use this simple chart to determine how big your little puppy will be. Just find the weight closest to your puppy’s age and drop down that column to see the age at 12 months, which is likely to be the weight of his adult.
Weight of large breeds of puppies
Large breed puppies need at least a year or eighteen months to reach their full adult weight.
In general, the large breed category consists of breeds between 20 and 45 kg, but there is some overlap between the average breed size at the lower end of this scale and giant size dogs at the upper end.
Large breed dogs include, but are not limited to: Alaskan Malamute, Boxer, Bloodhound, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever and Labrador Retriever.
To predict the weight of a large breed puppy at full height, you can use the table below to get a rough idea based on its current weight.
Weight of large breeds of puppies by months. table
Weight of giant breed puppies
In general, the giant breed category consists of rocks weighing more than 45 kg, but there is some overlap at the lower end of the scale with a larger breed size.
Large breed dogs include, but are not limited to: Bernese Mountain Dog, Bullmastiff, Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Great Dane and Irish Wolfhound.
As a rule, giant breed dogs take longer to reach their adult weight, at least 12 to 18 months. Giant breeds that are at the high end of the scale (i.e. Mastiffs, Great Danes, Newfoundlands, etc.) may even continue to grow for up to 2 or 3 years.!
These giant dogs usually put on about a kilogram per week, however large puppies that are at the top of the scale (i.e. Newfoundlands) gain about 1. 2.5 kg per week).
Weight of giant breeds of puppies by months. table
To predict how much your giant breed puppy will weigh when it grows up, use the table below to get a rough idea based on its current weight.
Puppy size categories
Typically, most puppies fit one of five breed sizes: dwarf, small, medium, large, and giant. However, sometimes there is some overlap between the categories.
- Dwarf = up to 5 kg;
- Small = 5-10 kg;
- Medium = 10-20 kg;
- Large = 20-45 kg;
- Giant = over 45 kg.
How to properly formulate a diet
Here’s what canine dietitians say about Chihuahua nutrition:
- Half or at least a third of the dishes should be meat. lean on beef, horse meat and rabbit.
- From 25 to 35%. cereals. Rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, barley porridge. a real storehouse of vitamins, cereals can be boiled in water and seasoned with vegetable or meat broths. Do not forget to lightly add some salt.
- 20 to 30% of the diet is dairy products.
- Vegetables loosen stools, so 15-20% of the diet is the maximum. What vegetables are right for home use? Zucchini, beets, cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers and white cabbage, pumpkin. Observe in what form the puppy eats vegetables with a special desire? Chihuahuas are real gourmets, some like stews, others fried, and still others prefer a lean table. boiled dishes.
- Fish is cooked no more than 1-2 times a week; meat is replaced with it. Before cooking, you need to remove absolutely all bones from fish, even the smallest ones, so buy the product with the smallest amount of them.
- Oddly enough, not every dog likes fruit, so if the dog turns up his nose from a treat, respect his preferences and do not impose yours. over, it is not necessary for him to eat fruits and berries.
According to the calculations of nutritionists, a dog that weighs up to 2 kg eats only 120-160 grams of food, natural or natural, per day, it does not matter.
How many times to feed a Chihuahua puppy
If the baby is very small. 2 months, then the diet is six meals a day. From 2 to 4 months, the number of meals is reduced to 4 times a day. At 6 months, you can switch to 3 meals a day, and at 8 you need to eat no more than 2 times. When a puppy has just been weaned from breast milk, he may have a decrease in blood sugar. Add some liquid honey to the milk to support the crumb.
For breakfast, Chihuahuas love fermented milk products. kefir, fermented baked milk, but sour cream is prohibited. Choose soft and crumbly curd so that it is not a continuous curd mass. If you can’t find the best cottage cheese for a four-legged pet, cook it yourself:
- Boil low-fat milk (0.5 L).
- Add 2 ampoules of calcium chloride.
- Wait until the milk curdles and rub the curd through a fine sieve, then roll in cheesecloth and leave to drain.
Of the cheese products on weekends, puppies can be given a little Adyghe cheese. To saturate the body with vitamins and useful microelements, giving preference to “natural”, boil the liver or heart and, spread out in small portioned plates, store in the freezer compartment. To quickly defrost a piece, pour boiling water over it.
Raw meat contains helminthic infestations and infections that can cause intoxication of a small Chihuahua, so always thermally process food. If there is lean beef without veins, give a little to the dog before bedtime. the dish is nutritious enough, which means that a well-fed puppy will sleep peacefully at night.
From healthy food, experts also advise beef tripe, which includes enzymes and trace elements. You can buy it on the market, but be sure to remove the fat, wrap it in a roll and freeze it in the freezer. Cut off the treat for the dog little by little, but you will have to remove it from the refrigerator each time in advance. Boiling water will spoil the taste of the product, and the puppy will refuse to eat it.
A raw carrot, it would seem, is a banality, but with what eagerness the crumb scratches the chives on a piece of vegetable, in addition, do not forget about the usefulness of carrots. To diversify the menu, cook boiled eggs for your pet a couple of times a week, but a raw egg can cause poisoning. no one is immune from salmonellosis.
How to properly feed a Chihuahua puppy 3. 6 months
Chihuahua is a small breed dog, and the puppy weighs in total less, so many owners are interested in how to feed a Chihuahua puppy, starting from 3 months until the first year. There is a constant debate on this topic. some veterinarians argue that it is better not to experiment with babies and give exclusively artificial food.
Other doctors believe that no amount of healthy food can replace natural food. In the end, the lack of vitamins can be replenished with special vitamin formulations, which are made specifically for small breeds. By the way, before giving such a capsule, it is better to crumble it to powder.
In Russia, there are 5 registered nurseries where Chihuahuas of exceptionally noble blood are grown. Only here you can buy purebred dogs, whose ancestors in the 10th generation were distinguished by their purebred.
Chihuahua breeders are still prone to dry food, but you will have to choose the highest quality super premium class. these are Hill’s, Eukanuba, ProPlan, ProPak, Royal Canine, Purina.
As soon as the buyer acquires a puppy, he should ask what kind of food the breeder fed the baby, otherwise there may be big problems with digestion.
Also, breeders recommend adhering to the following rules of rational feeding for Chihuahua puppies up to six months:
- For the first six months, there should always be food in the bowl of a little pet. When necessary, then he will eat. this approach will not only ensure normal weight, but also become a prophylaxis for gaining extra pounds.
- Caring owners do not sprinkle dry food on the crumbs, but pre-soak in plain water so that it swells and acquires a soft consistency. Periodically, let’s gnaw a couple of dry grains. if the puppy succeeds, then you can transfer it to dry feeding. How much dry food is needed for 1 meal, the manufacturer writes on the packaging, this is about 40-60 grams.
- As for the transition from one feed to another species, it is advisable to mix them, gradually increasing the volume of the new.
- Delicacies for puppies 3, 4, 5 and 6 months. tender boiled turkey, rabbit meat. It is best to avoid or limit your consumption of chicken meat. Saltwater fish should be of low-fat varieties, otherwise the organs of the digestive tract will have a bad effect. Give your baby peeled shrimps, slices of vegetables and fruits, berries, cottage cheese, low-fat kefir and more or less bland yogurt, better than your own preparation.
Does the diet depend on the puppy’s mobility?
The diet really depends on the mobility of the Chihuahua, the owner needs to adequately assess what kind of lifestyle the dog is leading. If the pet prefers to sleep and plays a little, walks in the fresh air, then there is no point in increasing the feeding dosage. But if the musculature is well developed, the dog attends the dog handler club or at least 1 hour a day runs restlessly with his dog friends, so that the dog is well-fed, healthy and full of strength, vigor, you will have to increase the amount of food.
The character of Chihuahuas is good because they are rarely greedy, so they do not gorge themselves to the dump. It is easy to determine whether there is enough food or not. if there is nothing left in the bowl, and the dog walks away calmly, then everything is in order. If he continues to lick the bowl, trying to collect a few more crumbs of a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s time to increase the amount of feeding.