How to use?
The filler is poured into the tray in a small amount. It is enough that it barely covers the bottom of the plastic box. Do not pour too much material, because when moisture gets on it, it will increase in size. A grid or other mesh must be placed on top of the pallet.
The filler should be under the grate. The net itself must be washed every time the pet goes to the toilet. This approach will eliminate paws from getting dirty, get rid of the unpleasant odor of cat urine and allow you to absorb liquid coming through the mesh with holes.
How to fill correctly?
The amount of litter for cats depends on the type and absorbency. In addition, the age of the animal can also influence this. Based on the calculation for one cat, you may need:
- wood material. up to 2 cm in height;
- silica gel. no more than 2 cm in layer thickness;
- mixed product. up to 3 cm;
- sand. no more than 2-3 cm.
The filler in trays with a grid should not come into contact with the mesh. there should be free space between them, which is necessary for the granules to swell. This will allow moisture not to linger on the grate, but to go down. If there is too much material, it will climb through the grate, which will give the pet unpleasant sensations.
For trays without grates, the volume of the product can be slightly increased. In this case, the breeder must rely on the size of the granules of a particular material. In addition, the litter can be diluted with small stones intended for kittens who are still being toilet trained.
Fill the tray with fresh material only after washing it.
If you do not do this, the plastic will become saturated with the smell of urine and excrement, so there will be no sense from the filler. Lumps in trays without grates are removed immediately upon detection, otherwise the pet may smash some of the litter. In addition, he may begin to disdain to go to such a place.
How to use cat litter?
When a kitten appears in the house, you have to think about buying a litter box and litter.
How often to change?
The time of use for each filler may differ, which, first of all, will depend on the type of material used. In addition, it may depend on the number of pets living in the same house (the more there are, the more often you will have to change the pellets in the tray tray). In this case, the material can be partially disposed of. For example, wood litter pellets that have been exposed to large amounts of cat urine will crumble.
They can be separated from the whole granules with a spatula and discarded. If there is a lot of scattered material, then it is necessary to replace it completely, pouring in a fresh portion after washing and drying the box.
When using wood filler, do not add new pellets until the old ones run out. As a rule, when living at home of one cat, this filler must be changed at least once a week.
If you do this less often, an unpleasant smell will spread throughout the house, and the pet itself will look for another place to go to the toilet. Raw materials, which contain mineral components, are disposed of at once: in this case, there is no point in gradual replacement. The key point when changing material is washing the tray and net with a cleaning agent. this will neutralize unpleasant odors and get rid of pathogens.
Silica gel can be used for two weeks. After that, the waste material is replaced with a new one. However, this does not mean that you have to wait two weeks without touching the tray. Used lumps with absorbed liquid must be removed as soon as they are found. The rest of the mass must be mixed, which will facilitate quick drying.
Mineral granules are changed at least once a week, however, in case of severe contamination, the procedure must be performed more often. The mixed litter in the tray should be changed once a week if there is only one animal living in the house. This is done by means of a special perforated paddle that will simultaneously screen the material while separating the waste product. After that, you need to pour fresh granules into the tray.
The sand must be changed daily. This filler is also bad in that it can get enough sleep. It is useless to sow, dry or separate it. this will not relieve households of the smell and grains of sand near the tray. If there are several pets in the house, you will have to remove the filler once every 3-5 days, focusing on the smell that appears from the tray.
It also makes it easier to clean the tray. The filler is also good because when using it, the space around the tray remains clean. It is safe for the animal, does not harm the household, is easy to clean and economical. However, it must be disposed of, and it does not rid the house of the unpleasant odor after the pet goes to the toilet.
Which is better?
Fillers are different and each material has its own properties and degree of swelling when liquid gets on it. In addition, it depends on the type of filler how often it will have to be changed. For example, if you use ordinary sand as filling the box, then there will be little sense from it.
Despite the fact that it will not grow in size under the influence of liquid, the smell in the room will be terrible.
Silica gel is considered to be the best raw material in terms of liquid absorption, therefore it must be used in minimal quantities. It has a high ability to absorb unpleasant odors. The material is made from silicate acid gel, which determines its toxicity. This litter works well, but it is bad for pets, and it fizzes when it gets wet.
The wood analogue is effective in use. it not only actively absorbs the liquid coming from above, but also eliminates unpleasant odors. When absorbing moisture, the granules of the material double or even more. Pour this filler in a dosed amount, barely covering the bottom of the tray.
Sawdust material has the ability to block unpleasant odors, but it is inferior in quality to its wood counterpart. The mixed product is made from clay and sawdust. This raw material is inconvenient to use, since wet granules can stick to the fur of the paws if liquid gets in. Of all kinds of material, it is the most impractical.
As for the best material in terms of efficiency and safety, it is wood filler. It is suitable for pets of all ages, including small kittens and individuals with a tendency to allergies. If there are a lot of cats at home, only silica gel can cope with the unpleasant odor.
There is corn and zeolite filler. The first is considered environmentally friendly, as it is made from corn cobs. The second is made from volcanic minerals. Japanese fillers have a good recommendation. they allow you to clear the tray not only of lumps with urine, but also with excrement without general cleaning, which implies complete removal of the filling and rinsing of the tray.
How to use cat litter
Not every owner knows how to use cat litter and whether it can be flushed down the toilet. After purchasing a cat, the first thing the owners of an apartment or their own house choose for him a place for food and toilet. If it’s easy to buy bowls and fill them with food and water, then deciding on a tray is much more difficult.
Rules for changing filler and washing the tray
If silica gel is used to fill the pan, you can thoroughly mix the contents daily or remove individual lumps for 13 days, and at 14 you must definitely throw out the used mixture, completely wash the pot and fill in a new portion.
Wood pellets (made from sawdust of coniferous trees), which absorb a large amount of liquid, must be changed gradually. With the help of a spatula, waste is removed, which rolls into lumps. However, when using wood pellets, you cannot add new ones until the old ones run out.
YOU’RE DOING YOUR CAT LITTER WRONG
Fillers consisting of mineral components do not make sense to change gradually, they need to be poured directly into the trash.
The main rule for a complete change of granules is to wash the tray and mesh with a cleaning agent. This neutralizes the unpleasant odor and kills pathogens.
How, where and how much filler to pour into the tray
A person’s first questions after buying a litter box and litter for a cat are how to properly pour litter into the litter box and how to change it. The cat litter box is easy to use, but it needs to be done regularly. Filling requires a plastic pallet without mesh.
ATTENTION, TEST! Answer a few simple questions and find out what kind of owner you are for your cat:
How to clean the tray?
It is important to be able not only to fill the tray, but also to clean it. The frequency of filler replacement depends on its type:
- Wood pellets that crumble when exposed to moisture should be thrown away by separating them with a spatula (it is included with the tray or sold separately) from the surviving ones. If they are completely wet, shake them out of the tray, then wash it and the grate with warm water and detergent. This type of litter is changed weekly, provided one animal is using the toilet.
- When using silica gel granules, which must be completely replaced every 2 weeks, only the feces need to be removed. For quick drying, it is recommended to stir the filler periodically with a spatula.
- If the pallet is filled with sand, it is necessary to remove feces and wet lumps after the pet has visited the toilet, adding a fresh portion. Such material does not absorb unpleasant odors at all, therefore, if this problem is acute, it is better to change it daily.
- The mixed filler must be replaced once a week. After visiting the toilet with a four-legged pet, the granules should be sieved with a spatula with holes, and then fresh material should be added.
Which filler is better to use?
If the question of why to use the filler has been resolved, you can start choosing it. What material to choose for filling the tray depends on the personal preferences of not only the owner, but also the pet itself. Lattice cat litter manufacturers do not have any filler requirements.
When choosing material for filling the tray, you need to evaluate its pros and cons. For example, wood pellets are good for everyone, but in the package with them there are often sharp chips that can hurt an animal, mineral chips do not absorb odors well, they are very dusty and, sticking to pets’ pads, spread throughout the house, and silica gel is expensive, and even and hiss when in contact with moisture, which is not pleasant for all animals, some of which refuse to go to the tray filled with this material.
It is impossible to say which of the fillers is better. Each one pursues his own goals when choosing him. Some cat owners want to save money and use sand or scraps of newspaper, others prefer silica gel granules, guided by the principle “cheap things can’t be good.” The material for filling the tray should first of all please the tailed pet. If a small pet likes to pull everything into its mouth, it is better to choose natural and biodegradable granules.
How to use the cat litter box correctly, is it necessary to put litter in the cat litter box?
One of the most popular litter boxes among cat owners is the cat litter box. Despite the simplicity of its design, many people use it incorrectly, and the correct use of the tray is a guarantee of cleanliness in the house. What is a cat litter box, what does it look like, what materials is it made of, how much does it cost? What are the features of using this fixture with and without filler? How to use the tray with grate and filler correctly?
Where and how much to pour?
Not all cat owners know how to properly pour litter into the mesh tray. This should be done as follows:
- Remove the grate.
- Fill the tray with granules. The amount of filler depends on its type. If, for example, wood material is used, filling a tray with it, it must be borne in mind that when it gets wet, it significantly increases in volume. There must be a certain distance between the surface of the granule layer and the grid so that moisture goes into it, and does not remain on the grid.
- Put the mesh back in place.
You’re Setting Up Your Litter Box All Wrong!
It is difficult to say how much filler is required to fill the tray. Its amount depends on the size of the device, the height of its sides, the origin of the granules. The approximate height of the filler layer per pet:
- woody. 1–2 cm;
- silica gel. 2 cm;
- mixed. 3 cm;
- sand. 1 cm.
Using a tray without filler: pros, cons, care rules
This design allows filler to be poured into the pallet or not. Deciding to stop using pellets to fill the tray, you need to weigh the pros and cons. Advantages of this approach to kitty litter:
- Saving money on the purchase of filler.
- No need to clean up the pellets scattered on the floor by the pet when trying to bury feces and urine. Another common problem does not arise. filler particles do not adhere to the paws of the animal and its fur and do not spread throughout the dwelling.
- No risk of nosy little pets eating pellets. Their ingestion into the kitten’s body is fraught with many serious and sometimes dangerous consequences: intestinal blockage, damage to its walls by a foreign body, diseases of the digestive system.
- dwellings and cats are clean. Some fillers are very dusty, polluting the living room, paws and animal hair.
- No risk of developing allergies in the inhabitants of the home and getting the granules into the respiratory tract or swallowing them by a small child who reaches the cat litter.
Some cat owners refuse litter because their tailed pets, for whatever reason, do not want to interact with it. At best, this is manifested in the fact that they do not bury the stool, at worst, they ignore the tray, preferring to empty the bowels and bladder in the wrong places.
Disadvantages of using a tray without filler:
- The inability for an animal to realize its natural instinct. Some cats, deprived of the opportunity to bury feces and urine, begin to shit in places that are not intended for this.
- There is a high risk of spreading the smell of urine and faeces throughout the home. One of the main tasks of the filler is to absorb liquid excrement and urine, which significantly reduces the severity of unpleasant odor.
- The need to clean the tray immediately after visiting it with a pet, which is far from always possible, especially for working people.
- Contamination of the paws of the animal with urine and faeces and the spread of their particles throughout the house.
Maintaining this fixture is simple, but requires more time and effort than cleaning the litter tray. It is necessary to wash a pet’s toilet with a lattice after each use, it does not matter whether the cat went into it in a small or big way. Daily cleaning involves rinsing the structure with warm water, general cleaning. soaking and using a detergent and a special composition to eliminate the smell of cat urine.
Tray with lattice or mesh: design, material of manufacture, approximate cost
This cat litter box (pictured) consists of a tray and a grate that fits on top of it. Like the vast majority of analogues, it is made of plastic. Plastic materials, unlike metal ones, do not oxidize when in contact with urine and animal faeces. Otherwise, the inhabitants of the dwelling, including four-legged ones, would have to inhale harmful fumes of oxidation products.
How to use a cat litter box?
The use of a tray with lattice and filler and a fixture without a grid varies considerably. Despite the fact that the first type of litter box is easy to use, not all cat owners understand its principles. In order for the pet to be comfortable using it, in addition to choosing a suitable filler, you need to know where and how much to fill it with, as well as how to remove wet granules.
What to look for when choosing a tray with a grate?
When choosing a tray with a grid, it is recommended to pay attention to:
Some owners, trying to save money, purchase a simple litter box for the cat, which is not equipped with an additional grate or net. It is important to note that many pets do not like this type of litter box. This is due to the fact that during the hike, small or large, the paws of the animal get dirty. It takes a little to pour substances into such a toilet. This is especially important for wood products, which swell strongly upon contact with urine, and sawdust falls out of the tray. It is better to fill such a tray 1/3 with wood filler or any other 2/3.
How to add to the tray?
What is the difference between woody?
It is most profitable to fill the cat’s tray with such a filler, since it is inexpensive and needs to be put on the bottom of the toilet very little. The product consists of compressed sawdust granules, which become soaked in contact with urine. A feature of such a filler intended for cat litter is the ability to retain odor well. Suitable not only for a kitten, but also a hygiene product is used for adult cats. Since wood is a natural component, such a filler almost never causes an allergic reaction in a cat.
Although such a product is one of the most expensive, they do not need to fill the entire cat’s tray. The filler consists of synthetic crystals of a transparent shade that absorb moisture well. The advantage of this tool is the possibility of rare cleaning. If you fill the tray with a large layer of silica gel, then you need to dispose of the cat’s toilet no more often than once every 2-3 weeks. Disadvantages of litter. sharp edges of crystals and loud rustling when the cat visits the litter box.
How to use the tray correctly
For the convenience of using the toilet for cats, you need to follow some simple rules: firstly, you need to put the selected filler on the bottom of a clean and dry structure. From above, the tray must be closed with a lattice, and in such a way that there is a space between them, so that urine gets on the filler, which will protect from the appearance of an unwanted odor.
How to choose a filler for a tray with a lattice
The uniqueness of the tray with the mesh is such that you can do without filler at all, but this option is suitable when there is always someone at home, otherwise there will be a specific smell on the whole apartment. When constant monitoring is not appropriate, then you can use any type of filler:
- Sand. This type of natural filler absorbs moisture quite well, but odor removal is much worse. It weakens it, but does not completely eradicate it. Replacement should be done every 2-3 days.
- Such a “popular” way as newspapers is rather troublesome. over, he does not cope with either the smell or the absorption of urine. Newspapers need to be changed every day.
- Sawdust. They cope well with smell and moisture. Can be cleaned every 5 days.
- Wood pellets. These are the pellets used for heating boilers. They fight moisture and odor very effectively. The filler can be changed once a week.
How to properly wash your cat litter box
It is much more convenient to wash a toilet with a net than a simple one, since all feces remain on the grate. However, both daily and weekly cleaning should be done to remove odor:
- Daily cleaning includes washing the surface of the faeces from the grate, as exposed faeces can cause unpleasant odors not only for cats, but also for humans. As a rule, the grill is cleaned without problems. Feces can simply be thrown away immediately after the pet poops, and the grate can be placed under a large stream of water. So she washes well.
- Weekly cleaning includes thorough washing and disinfection. First, the dirty filler is thrown into the trash. Second, an empty toilet must be rinsed with a disinfectant using warm water. If you notice that the filler has adhered to the device in places, then you need to soak it in water for a short time. The grid or mesh must be cleaned of limescale that has formed from contact with urine. This plaque tends to build up in the toilet and smell unpleasant.
Cleaning the litter box should be done with rubber gloves. After cleaning is over, you must first wash your gloved hands with soap and water, and then wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water in running water.
How to pour the filler into the mesh tray
Some owners are perplexed why pour filler into the tray with a grid, because all the same, cats do not have the opportunity to delve into it from the heart. Quite simply, cat litter mixture is necessary to keep the house odorless. Urine, draining from the grate, enters the filler, thus neutralizing the specific aroma.
You can put a small layer of baking soda on the bottom of the tray to help urine absorb better and is effective in removing unpleasant odors.
Fillers are poured to the bottom of the device, about 3 centimeters. The mixture should not reach the bottom of the tray. It is necessary to properly pour the mixture for the cat litter box, in this matter the “golden mean” is important. Too little filler will not cope with its task: removing unwanted odor, and too much will spill out.
The main advantages and disadvantages of a cat litter box
- A tray with a grate is quite hygienic because the animal walks on the grate when needed without touching the inner contents of the tray.
- The mesh tray will prevent cats from developing such a bad habit as eating cat litter.
- This toilet allows the pet to quickly adapt to it and not shit in other places that are not intended for this.
- Aesthetics is another plus of plastic cat trays. Manufacturers have released these designs in a wide variety of colors, which can easily blend in with any setting and color scheme of wallpaper, at the same time they are able to not catch the eye with their appearance.
- The mesh tray helps the pet to avoid throwing litter around the toilet, as the litter is inside, under the grill.
A plastic tray with a lattice is the best option for neutered cats or neutered cats, because they have a minimal odor from feces, this type of toilet is unlikely to be convenient for non-castrated cats.
- The main and only drawback is that the tray with the mesh must be washed every time after the cat poops. Feces left on the net for a long time will give off an unpleasant odor. Everyone knows that cats are pretty clean animals, they may refuse to go to the toilet on a dirty and foul-smelling structure.
Cat litter box
What is this design:
- First of all, it is a comfortable and stable device made of plastic. A cat litter box cannot be made of wood or iron, because iron will oxidize due to exposure to urine and release vapors that are hazardous to health. Wood is also not used for these purposes, since it absorbs moisture very well, and harmful microorganisms that can cause harm not only to animals, but also to people, will breed in it. Plastic does its job very well. This device is quite lightweight and can be easily moved anywhere in the apartment.
- The grate, which is placed on top of the pallet, is comfortable enough for the cat’s paws, allowing the cat to easily do his business.
It is better to take the litter box “for growth”, focusing on adult cats, this is necessary so that then a situation does not arise that the adult cat has to re-accustom itself to use the litter box.
How many accessories do you need for one cat
One tray is enough for an adult. Recall that felines are conservative in nature and, as a rule, defecate in only one place. But under certain circumstances, the number of bathrooms can be increased.
- When accustoming a kitten to cope with natural needs, the owner must determine which location will be preferable for his ward. To do this, you need to put several trays in the apartment where the new household has already visited with certain intentions.
- When a cat changes its place of residence, its toilet also changes. To help the ward in the choice, the owner can also place several trays in different parts of the apartment. And only when the cat is determined, leave one attribute.
Why do you need a lattice
This accessory is of practical importance. The filler is poured strictly under the grate, as it absorbs urine. The feces will remain on top: the owner only needs to remove the part to rinse it under running water.
Some owners try to avoid the net, justifying the physiology of the cat. In their opinion, the accessory interferes with burying the waste products of animals, which means it will certainly cause discomfort. In the future, from such a solution, a whole shaft of problems appears: the pet scatters the filler, dirt quickly accumulates and cleaning turns into a daily duty.
Different types of litter for the cat litter box
How to properly use the cat litter box with grate and litter, how to fill and how to wash
The cat litter box is a vital attribute for the comfortable living of a mustachioed pet in an apartment. This is the very place where the ward must relieve his natural need. This means that the owner should keep his pet’s toilet clean. In this article, we will show you how to properly care for your tray.
Choosing a detergent
The most important criterion is the absence of pungent odors. Be careful when using toilet bowl cleaners. Many of them have a pungent “scent” that can scare a cat away.
As a result, the pet will have no choice but to go in search of a more comfortable place for going to the toilet.
Acid-containing products effectively fight urinary calculus, which eventually settles on the surface of the tray. An analogue of these is ordinary vinegar, but it only removes the smell and is not suitable for regular cleaning.
Eco-friendly disinfectants are the best option. They do not smell and contain virtually no chemicals.
What the experts say
Veterinarians do not recommend constantly changing the position of the trays and putting them where they want. Such changes will not pass without a trace: the pet will be in a stressful situation that can provoke neurosis. And in this case, you will need the help of doctors.
How often do you need to change
Even with regular hygiene procedures, the cat litter box does not have an unlimited shelf life. Like other accessories for pets, it also tends to wear out. The pet itself unconsciously makes “efforts”: it scratches its toilet with its claws, and a white bloom may appear at the bottom of the base. Sooner or later, the owner must attend to the purchase of a new attribute for his ward.
If cleaning is done on a regular basis, then the place for the needs can last for several years. However, ignoring the basic rules of care, the stench and particles of waste products “eat” into the surface of the tray so that no means for washing can no longer help. And you can make purchases almost every year.
The tray is in a cat-friendly place
Can multiple individuals share the same toilet
Our smaller mustachioed brothers are by nature territorial animals. As in the wild, in the house they distribute places among themselves, which they will consider as their personal possessions. Therefore, the toilet will have to be divided: acquire several attributes and even choose a filler that will be to every cat’s liking.
But not always the owner can afford such innovations. Living in a small apartment, a person does not have the opportunity to provide each fluffy guest with an individual toilet. We’ll have to teach all the pets to relieve themselves in one place.
When teaching multiple cats to defecate in the same litter box, be prepared to clean the attribute several times more often. Otherwise, the pets will independently select a personal bathroom for themselves.
Where to put in the apartment
This issue should be resolved on the first day of the cat in the house. The pet must be taught to one place for bowel movements, so that later the owner does not find “surprises” throughout the apartment.
Ideal areas are those with low traffic and those with little or no noise. These are the most comfortable conditions under which the pet will agree to cope and feel safe. Otherwise, “be in trouble”.
If the choice fell on the toilet, make sure that the ward always has access to it. Residents will have to come to terms with the open door, or constantly resort to the call of their pet.
Best Cat Litter Fillers 2021
At first, it may seem that cat litter is not a very necessary thing. After all, you can just put some ordinary sand in the tray or put old waste paper there. However, in addition to their direct function, modern fillers are also a remedy against unpleasant odors. Plus, they provide maximum comfort for your pet. Today we will tell you what types of products are divided into, and which litter is best for a cat.
Catsan Ultra plus
Clay granular filler. The patented formula makes cleaning your pet even faster and easier!
The filler has several advantages:
- contains natural minerals;
- quickly absorbs odor from the tray;
- 5 liter pack is enough for 4 weeks of use;
- lumps are very easy to remove as they do not disintegrate during the transfer.
Tip: To maximize the benefits of the product, manufacturers do not recommend mixing it with other types of fillers.
- granules cannot be flushed down the toilet;
- Lumps can stick to the tray if not removed immediately.
- high price.
This type of filler has many advantages:
- Moisture and odors are absorbed within seconds.
- Very easy to flush down the toilet and does not clog pipes.
- The granules keep their shape even when wet. So do not worry that the cat will spread the filler around the apartment.
- Eco-friendly, cannot harm the health of a four-legged friend.
- For cats of all ages.
As for the shortcomings of the product, we can only name the high cost. However, it is certainly offset by all the benefits of the filler.
Otherwise, such a filler is also called clay. It is sold in the following formats:
- a filler that absorbs;
- crumpled filler.
A filler made of minerals for a tray is considered the most optimal for absolutely all types, sizes and ages of purrs. This is due to the many advantages of the product:
- Due to moisture, the filler crumples, after which it can be easily removed from the tray
- A large number of types of grain makes it possible to choose the most convenient option for you and your pet.
- Large selection of different types of filler.
The disadvantages of the filler include:
- can not be used for small kittens that can swallow pellets;
- clay cannot be flushed down the toilet.
Silica gel litter for cats
Silica gel cat litter has the best moisture absorption properties. It is produced in the form of small transparent or multi-colored granules, consisting of a dried gel. This type of filler has many advantages:
- Capable of absorbing liquid and all foreign odors as quickly as possible.
- In the presence of fragrances, it emits a pleasant aroma (you can choose the smell that suits you the most).
- Ideal for owners of two or more cats.
- It is quite simple to change the filler. it quickly crumples and does not break up into small pieces.
At the same time, there are also enough disadvantages of the silica gel filler for the tray:
Litter Box Basics
- This is a completely non-ecological product.
- The filler is quite picky in storage. It is necessary to ensure that, while in the package, it does not come into contact with air. Therefore, check carefully if you have closed the bag with filler.
- Silica gel pellets are only suitable for large adult cats. It is not recommended to use them for litter boxes. The fact is that little pussies are very fond of trying everything new to taste. And the gel, which is the basis of the filler, when it gets on the mucous membrane can cause severe damage up to a burn.
- High price.
Where to dispose of the used filler?
Oddly enough, but you also need to be able to throw away fillers. Unfortunately, special places for the disposal of “cat affairs” have not yet been created, so there are two exits. to the trash can or to the sewer.
Many will agree that the simplest thing is to pick up the consequences of the invasion of fluffy paws with a spatula and flush it down the toilet. But here it is important to remember that only wood fillers can be washed off, and very carefully and in small portions. But it is better to throw clay fillers into a bucket. The fact is that clay granules in water swell strongly, which can lead to a clogging of the sewage system “with all the consequences”.
With the trash can, too, things are not so simple. Despite the high quality of modern technologies, completely unpleasant odor from the used filler cannot be avoided. Therefore, we recommend pouring the filler into a disposable bag and tying it up right away. And it’s better to immediately take the package to the trash.
An important point. you can not leave “waste” somewhere in the corner near the front door. the kitty may think that the toilet is now also there.
How to store the filler?
Fillers are hygroscopic; this means that the pellets can absorb moisture from the air, so they must be stored dry, without contact with chemicals and food. A bedside table close to the tray is best for storage. it’s safe and you don’t have to walk far when it’s time to replace the filler. If you bought several packs at once, do not worry. in the original sealed packaging, the shelf life of the filler is unlimited, so over time you can use it all.
Filler filled our lives
The toilet problem is acute for many cat owners. Teaching your pet to go to the litter box is only half the battle. It is also necessary to understand the technical side. How to pour the filler into the tray, how much filler to pour, how to properly store and dispose of the filler. you will find the answers to these and other questions in our article.
How much to pour in grams?
Such a variety and availability of fillers, as today, did not always exist. There was a time when it was necessary to fill the trays with improvised means. finely chopped old newspapers, sawdust left over after repairs were used, children brought home sand from the sandboxes in the yard. Fortunately, the situation has changed. The joyful owners poured filler into the tray to the brim, and then collected the dirty lumps throughout the apartment. You cannot pour too much filler, this also leads to the fact that it will quickly end, you will have to buy a new pack, spend extra money. But even small quantities will not work. The answer to the question of how to properly pour the litter into the litter box will be a layer 4-6 centimeters deep in a clean dry litter box.
How often to clean?
If you are using absorbent litter, the solid excrement should be cleaned up daily, and a complete change of the contents of the tray should be done once every few days as needed. As for the clumping filler. lumps and solid excrement must be removed every day, immediately after using the toilet with your pet, while adding fresh filler to the tray to the previous level. With this approach, a general cleaning of the tray with a complete replacement of the contents can be carried out once a month or less often.
What to do if your cat refuses to use the litter box?
It is very important for cats that the litter box is always clean and dry because they are so clean. But what if the litter box is clean and the cat refuses to walk into it? Check if the litter box is too small for your pet, and you need to try increasing the size. in many cases this helps.
Sometimes, puddles in the wrong place, the pussies simply say that they do not like the litter in the tray. in this case, it is worth experimenting a little, finding something that will appeal to both you and the cat. You need to try to find a common language with your pet, to achieve mutual understanding.
The choice of filler is not the easiest one, and sometimes it can be quite difficult to resolve this issue. However, after a short time of searching through trial and error, you will find a middle ground. Small everyday problems happen from time to time, but much more often our beloved pets bring us joy.
Good luck in choosing! Always yours, “Clean paws”.