How to bathe a kitten with shampoo?
We try not to use human shampoos and potent preparations intended for treating dogs for cats. If pH5.5 is great for humans, then cats need products with pH7.5. Reflecting on the topic of how often and at what age you can bathe kittens with shampoo, do not forget about the work of the sebaceous glands of the animal. Liquid solutions wash away the protective natural substances responsible for antibacterial protection from the skin more strongly, therefore they should not be used often. Regardless of the composition of the shampoos, they must be completely removed from the coat with warm water.
- Elite Professional,
- Perfect Coat,
- Rolf Club,
How to bathe your kitten quickly and without stress?
For the first time thinking about how to bathe a kitten, pet owners are faced with a huge number of difficult questions. In theory, everything looks fun, but in practice it is easy to scare a tiny animal and harm its health. To correctly carry out water procedures without making common mistakes, advice from experienced animal lovers will help you.
How to properly bathe a kitten?
To solve the problem of how to wash a kitten, you need to be well prepared. You should not engage in water procedures immediately after eating, make an interval at the end of lunch or breakfast for about 2-3 hours. It is advisable to shorten the claws of the animal the day before, to disassemble the formed tangles with a comb. If your toddler is scared, distract his attention with games. For those who do not have much experience in how to bathe a kitten, it is recommended to tightly close the door to the bathroom, a wet lump can escape, get overcooled and get severe stress.
How to bathe a kitten from fleas?
It is important to know exactly at what age kittens are bathed with flea shampoos. We carry out treatment for parasites from 3 months of age, following the instructions for the preparations. Be sure to thoroughly wash off the remaining foam from the kitten’s body, if he accidentally licks the foam with his tongue, then there will be a threat of poisoning. Instead of shampoos, some lovers use infusions of wormwood, string and chamomile. Folk remedies are harmless and allowed at any age. After a couple of days, you can check the pet’s skin for fleas and an allergic reaction, if the product is not effective, then it needs to be replaced.
Flea shampoos are developed on the basis of insecticides that can penetrate the chitinous integuments of parasites. permethrin, phenotrin, etofenprox. The maximum death of insects occurs in two days. In addition to the antiparasitic action, high-quality agents have other useful properties. They help to care for the skin, perfectly strengthen the hair of animals. Be sure to study and strictly follow the instructions on the shampoo, avoid overdose of the active ingredient.
Is it possible to wash newborn kittens?
Most experts in the question of when it is possible to wash kittens after birth, agree that newborn babies are allowed to be disturbed only in exceptional cases. Cat saliva works stronger in this matter than any expensive shampoo. Detergents interrupt the natural smell, so often after bathing, parents refuse to accept and feed kittens. Newborns have weak immunity, even a slight hypothermia can kill a fragile body.
How to properly bathe a kitten for the first time?
Babies who are not yet accustomed to water procedures are capable of scratching, screaming, trying to break free. It is better to wear a shirt with long, closed sleeves, protecting yourself from scratches. Put all the necessary equipment at hand, with a baby screaming in fear, running around in search of shampoo or a towel is extremely uncomfortable. In the matter of how to bathe small kittens, it is better to be calm and patient. Do not immerse your baby in water immediately, play with him in a dry bath or sink, turn on the pressure gradually, wetting the coat on the pet.
- For bathing animals, you can use a bathtub, sink, comfortable basin or other container firmly installed on the surface.
- Do not allow liquid to get into the auricles, we try to cover the body up to the neck with water.
- We monitor the baby’s behavior carefully, avoid contact with his sharp claws, do not let the pet escape.
- Most of the dirt accumulates under the grip and feet.
- Wet the kitten’s fur and apply shampoo.
- We wait a couple of minutes.
- We bathe the animal until the remains of the detergent are washed off.
- Dry the kitten by gently wrapping it in a towel.
- In winter, you can speed up the drying process with a hair dryer.
With the wrong behavior of the bathing procedure, the kitten develops a stable feeling of fear of water. Often he is frightened by an unstable basin or a powerful jet of liquid from a tap; the owner’s screams or his rude actions can injure the psyche. Having plunged headlong, the pet will pick up water in its ears and swallow. The first bath is an important experience that will leave an impression on the kitten for a lifetime, so try to do it well.
To bathe or not to bathe your cat. that is the question!
Whether to bathe the kitten after vaccination?
Thinking about whether it is necessary to wash a kitten after vaccination, you need to remember that vaccinated animals have weakened immunity for some time after a medical procedure. Mild hypothermia or any draft can provoke a serious illness. Flea shampoos are capable of provoking an undesirable reaction at this time; you should refrain from using them. It is advisable to keep the animals in the room for the first time after vaccination, without letting them out into the yard, to postpone the planned bathing for a couple of weeks.
At what age can kittens be bathed?
Considering the problem of how many months a kitten can be washed, amateurs do not come to a consensus. Breeders working with show animals begin to carry out water procedures from the age of one month, but owners of simple pets are not recommended to do this until 8 weeks, when the heat exchange in the crumbs has not yet been established. If it becomes necessary to remove strong dirt from the body, then it is allowed to carefully wipe it off the kids with a wet towel.
Features of washing hairless cats
How to bathe a Sphynx kitten and how often should it be done? The fact is that hairless cats get dirty faster than their counterparts in fur coats, so they will need bathing much more often. In addition, bald cat breeds sweat much more strongly, and in their folds a lot of different debris can accumulate in the form of food residues, litter for the toilet, villi.
How many times a month to bathe a hairless pet is hard to say for sure. On average, this happens every 2-4 weeks, it all depends on its color and the degree of pollution.
Bathing hairless cats has its own distinctive features
Usually, the signal for water treatments in hairless cats is the following signs:
- an unpleasant smell began to emanate from the pet;
- the baby’s skin has become sticky and oily;
- dirt is clearly visible in the folds of the skin.
But too frequent washing of a bald baby will not do him good either, since the special lubricant produced by the sebaceous glands is washed off, and the kitten thus loses its natural protection against various pathogens.
Important! Hairless cats after water procedures are prone to rapid hypothermia.
In general, the procedure for the first bath of an ordinary kitten and a little sphinx is not very different. The only difference is that you need to wash the hairless baby with a special soft sponge, carefully treating the areas of the folds, and use a special shampoo for cats without hair.
At the end of the water procedures, the kitten’s face, ears and back of the head are wiped with special sanitary napkins.
Bathing the kitten for the first time
Those of the owners who will have this procedure for the first time are worried and worried about how to wash the kitten for the first time. The most important condition for successful bathing is that you need to carefully prepare for such a responsible event in the life of a baby so that the procedure goes quickly and is not too tiring for the animal.
You need to prepare everything that is needed in the process for washing, it will be much easier if everything is at hand. The procedure itself is best done in the bathroom, sink or in a bowl filled with 6-10 cm of water (depending on the size of the baby). The water should be warm, not hotter than 38 ° C.
Note! The bathing procedure should be carried out when the baby is not hungry, absolutely healthy, has already frolicked enough and is in a good mood.
It is better to bathe a fluffy pet a couple of hours after eating, when he has played enough and is in a relaxed state.
It’s great if during the bathing procedure the baby will be assisted: in this way one person can distract his attention, and the second quickly does all the necessary manipulations.
The room where the kitten will swim should be warm and in no case should there be drafts.
The sequence of actions when bathing a kitten is approximately as follows:
- If the owner is afraid that while bathing, water may get into the kitten’s ears, then it is better to cover them with tampons dipped in vegetable oil. It is not necessary to do this if there is confidence in the accuracy of the actions.
- The kitten, gently holding the withers, is placed in a container of water, where he either stands or sits. it all depends on how he feels more comfortable. It is important that it does not slip during the bathing procedure, so it would be good to lay a towel or rug on the bottom, so the baby will be much more comfortable.
- Gently moisten the animal’s fur from the neck to the tail and, holding it, apply shampoo, but very carefully so as not to get into the eyes, ears and mouth.
- With gentle movements, the shampoo is gently rubbed into the fur, thus not only it will be washed, but also the skin of the animal.
- The applied shampoo is gently but thoroughly washed off. You should not wet the baby’s head, just at the end of bathing, you can gently wipe the muzzle and eyes with a damp hand.
- After the completion of the procedure, the animal is wrapped in a towel that can absorb water well. At the same time, his head should be left outside.
- After carrying out water procedures, do not forget about the need for other important events: the baby must definitely clean the ears, if necessary, trim the nails and wipe the eyes.
When bathing with a pet, you need to talk gently and calmly so as not to scare him with a loud and harsh cry. After the end of the event, you can pamper your baby with his favorite treat.
At what age to bathe a kitten
There is no unambiguous and precise answer to the question of at what age a kitten can be washed. Most pet owners believe that they should start accustoming a kitten to water from 2-2.5 months, some say the age is 3-4 months.
In addition, sometimes there are unforeseen situations when bathing cannot be avoided:
- the kitten is very dirty or something accidentally spilled on it;
- a couple of days after purchasing it (this time he will need to adapt to a new place);
- if it was picked up on the street, then it should be washed immediately, and age in this case does not play a special role;
- if we are talking about purebred kittens that from early childhood take part in various exhibitions, then a few days before this event, it is customary to bathe babies, moreover, using various cosmetics that can give the coat a more attractive shiny look;
- during molting, thanks to bathing, dying and falling hairs will be removed and at the same time not clog up the apartment;
- if the baby carelessly went to the toilet or has parasites.
A kitten picked up on the street should be bathed as soon as it was brought into the house, while it is imperative to use funds from external parasites (fleas, ticks, lice), as well as from possible skin diseases.
A kitten picked up on the street should be washed immediately, despite its age
But you should not be zealous in bathing either, since too frequent water procedures, and even with the use of various shampoos, negatively affect the protective fat layer on the kitten’s skin. Therefore, it will be quite enough if you redeem it at least several times a year. If a fluffy pet has a long white coat, then, of course, the procedure will need to be carried out much more often.
Of course, if the cat is a fan of water procedures, and the sound of water pouring in the bathroom makes him an irrepressible desire to swim, then this can be done often. But at the same time, it should be remembered that in this case it will be necessary to approach the issue of choosing detergents more carefully, they should not unnecessarily dry out the baby’s skin.
Is it possible to bathe a kitten
Many happy owners of kittens have a reasonable question whether it is possible to bathe them and whether this procedure will harm the babies. In the first weeks of life, there is no point in bathing, since each mother cat diligently monitors the cleanliness of her babies and often licks their fur. In addition, for very young kittens, temperature changes during the bathing procedure can be unsafe to health.
The sooner you start accustoming a kitten to water procedures, the easier it will be to endure them in adulthood.
When the kitten grows up a little, he already takes care of himself, therefore he is able to keep himself clean. But, nevertheless, most kitten owners, including professional breeders, agree that they still need to bathe their kittens. But you should not be overzealous with water procedures.
For your information! The optimal age for starting active bathing is the period when the baby’s milk teeth will change.
How to bathe a kitten: how often and at what age
Bathing a cat is a mandatory hygiene procedure that is periodically performed for every pet. But many cats have a very negative attitude to this process, as a result, bathing turns into real stress for the pet and scratched hands for the owner. Therefore, it is very important to teach a kitten to take water procedures from early childhood, and the first bathing in a baby’s life is of great importance.
Drying the kitten
The kitten wrapped in a towel is held in hands and periodically blotted with a towel for 10-15 minutes. After this time, the kitten’s fur is already dry enough, and it can be released on a bedding or sofa.
At the end of the bath, you need to clean the ears, wipe the eyes and trim the claws of the cat
You should not actively wipe the animal’s fur with a towel, as you can damage it.
Bathing Scottish and British kittens
In this case, the bathing procedure also has its own specific, albeit minor differences.
The bathing process should take place in an orderly manner, without fuss and harsh screams. Before you bathe the kitten, you need to prepare all the necessary items and a large, absorbent towel.
Lop-eared kittens are bathed about once a month. A specific feature of this procedure is that special shampoos for long-haired breeds, which are used when bathing the Scots, are applied to the animal not by massaging, but by stroking movements, and then thoroughly washed off.
And one more little feature of bathing these breeds of kittens. after taking a bath, they should be dried with a hair dryer. Of course, the animal will not experience much delight during this procedure, but it is better this way than to dry for several hours and be exposed to the danger of hypothermia and getting sick all this time.
By the way, while drying with a hairdryer, it is also advisable to comb the baby’s thick fur.
Whether to bathe after vaccination and castration
If the kitten was vaccinated, or he underwent castration or some other operation, then it will be correct to redeem him not earlier than a couple of weeks after that.
Whether it is possible to wash a kitten, from what age it will not harm him. questions that worry many cat owners who have had a long-awaited or unexpected addition in the form of a born or picked up baby. Many professional breeders agree that it is necessary to start accustoming kittens to water procedures from 2-3 months. It is not difficult to figure out how to bathe a kitten for the first time, the main thing is not to scare him during this procedure, so as not to cause him to fear water for the rest of his life.
How to properly bathe a cat?
Bathing a feline of any age is the most stressful situation for both the animal and its owner. A rare cat owner can boast of his pet’s inexplicable love for water treatments.
In most cases, breeders of mustachioed purrs have to go to all sorts of tricks and tricks that simplify and facilitate the notorious bathing.
What recommendations should be used to make this procedure minimally problematic? What nuances in it are very important to consider? Let’s try to figure it out.
As the pet grows up, its owner develops its own tactics and technique for bathing. Some cat owners cope with this task alone, others only with the assistance of an assistant.
Someone does not need any auxiliary accessories when bathing a cat, someone necessarily needs nets, collars or special bags.
If the animal is afraid of the noise of pouring water, then two basins should be prepared for bathing. One will be used to wash the animal, the other (with clean warm water). to rinse the coat from shampoo residues.
In this case, step-by-step instructions for washing your cat will include the following points:
- prepare two basins. one empty, the second with water;
- pour warm water into a basin about 5-7 centimeters from the bottom of the container;
- dilute and lather a small amount of pet shampoo in water;
- prepare a towel;
- lower the animal into the pelvis, holding it firmly under the ribs (it is important to control efforts so as not to cause pain to the pet);
- with your free hand, rinse the back and neck of the animal with soapy water;
- if necessary, apply an additional amount of zoo shampoo to the back and neck;
- lather the pet’s fur, being careful not to touch the head and ears;
- with quick and confident movements, wash off the shampoo remnants with clean water;
- take the animal out of the pelvis and wrap it in a towel.
Next, you need to thoroughly blot and dry the pet with a towel, then wrap it in another towel to dry it.
If the animal does not resist, it is advisable to keep it wrapped in a towel for about 10 minutes.
During this time, the remaining water will have time to be absorbed into the terry cloth. After that, the washed cat can be released, giving him the opportunity to finally dry out in a dry and warm room without drafts.
Approximately the same actions are provided by the technique of bathing animals that are calm about the noise of the water. In this case, you can do with only one wash basin, using tap water for rinsing.
Very nervous and restless cats and cats are best bathed with the assistance of a helper.
In this case, one person will hold the animal, and the other will bathe. When washing, it is extremely important not to allow water to get on the head, ears and eyes, otherwise the pet will make every effort to escape.
Cats and cats that can show aggression and even bite while bathing are safer to be treated with a net. This accessory will not allow the animal to escape or bite (scratch) the owner.
The bathing technique using a mesh is as follows:
- prepare bathing equipment (basin with water, pet shampoo, towels);
- the animal is placed in a net, the locks are fastened, the level of fixation of belts and Velcro is adjusted;
- immerse the pet in a basin of water or a bath and start washing.
The cells of such a mesh are large enough so that the zooshampoo can penetrate to each hair and remove impurities from the skin. After soaping, they proceed to rinsing, which is also carried out without removing the mesh.
Despite the convenience of using the net for bathing cats and cats, this accessory has one significant drawback. It lies in the fact that animals very quickly remember this object, as well as the unpleasant sensations associated with it. This usually leads to the fact that in the future, pets try to hide, barely seeing the net in the owner’s hands.
How to dry wool properly?
It is very important to thoroughly dry the animal’s fur after it has been bathed.
It is best to use clean terry and waffle towels that absorb moisture well.
Some caring owners, trying to help the animal quickly get in order, try to dry their pets with a hairdryer. The use of this device is not prohibited only if the cat or cat is familiar with the hair dryer procedure and does not cause panic.
In other cases, the use of a hair dryer is strongly discouraged. The fact is that the animal experiences stress after bathing, and the noise of a working hair dryer can aggravate the pet’s condition at this moment.
It should be noted that the trembling of a cat or cat after washing is often associated with the experienced fear, and not with a decrease in the air temperature in the room.
For this reason, after bathing, the animal should be given the opportunity to calm down and tidy up in a secluded warm and dry corner.
How to train your cat to the bathroom?
Bathing problems throughout the life of a pet will be much less if you teach it to this procedure from a young age. Experienced cat owners argue that bathing a kitten is not as difficult as it seems.
However, at this stage, it is very important to adhere to a clear strategy, controlling not only the behavior of the baby, but also your own actions.
It is recommended to start accustoming a kitten to the bathroom from about 4 months of age.
Very small kittens, born and raised at home, are usually not bathed before this age. The only exceptions are babies picked up on the street. With their bathing and antiparasitic treatment, it is strongly recommended not to hesitate.
If necessary (for example, when fleas or other parasites are found), it is allowed to bathe kittens whose age has not yet reached 4 months. According to experienced breeders, most babies tolerate washing quite calmly starting from the age of 2-2.5 months.
Kittens 2 months old and slightly older are bathed in a basin using a warm shower.
It is preliminarily recommended to protect the ears of the animal from the ingress of water using cotton swabs slightly moistened with vegetable oil. The kitten’s head is not washed during bathing, but simply wiped with a damp palm. Pet ears are cleaned after water procedures.
Bathing small kittens less than 4 months old without prior preparation should only be done in cases of extreme necessity. In the absence of indications for emergency bathing, it is advisable to teach and prepare the baby in advance for the upcoming water procedures.
The training of the baby begins gradually, several times a day, bringing the pet into the bathroom in the hands of the pet and barely audibly turning on the tap with water.
It is necessary to do these manipulations so that the kitten is not afraid of the noise of the water and the environment in the bathroom. During your stay in the bathroom, you should talk to the animal in a calm and affectionate voice.
A little later, when the kitten gets used to this procedure, you can move on to the stage of training it to the pelvis. At this stage, the baby is placed in an empty dry basin and, stroking, they hold him in it for several minutes.
The main task at this stage of training is to familiarize the kitten with the pelvis, as well as to develop and consolidate in the animal a calm and indifferent attitude towards capacity.
It is advisable to encourage the correct reaction and calm behavior of the kitten when being in it with a delicacy.
Then they move on to the next stage of training based on the reaction and behavior of the pet. If the baby normally perceives the situation in the bathroom and does not show fear at the sight of the pelvis, you can proceed directly to the first bathing procedure.
It is carried out as follows:
- they collect a small amount of water into the basin (the recommended water level is a few centimeters from the bottom);
- cover the bottom with a rag or waffle towel, which will provide stability to the baby;
- carefully lower the kitten into the basin;
- with quick and confident movements, they wipe the head of the animal, after which they wash the body, legs and tail.
If the pet is not too dirty, the first time you can do without using shampoo.
In the case when the baby needs a full bath, only specialized zoo shampoos designed for kittens should be used.
During washing, it is important to firmly fix the animal, while not causing him pain. You need to act quickly, trying to keep bathing time to a minimum. If shampoo was used during bathing, it is necessary at the end of the procedure to thoroughly wash off its residues.
Some young animals like to swim, and this feature remains in them even to adulthood and even to old age. Despite the fact that there are no special problems with washing such pets, you should not bathe them longer than the recommended 15-30 minutes.
Prolonged bathing can negatively affect the delicate cat’s skin, causing it to dry and flake.
Adult animals are taught to bath and water procedures approximately according to the scheme presented above. In both cases (both in small and adult pets), it is important to develop and consolidate a calm attitude towards the environment in the bathroom, towards water and its noise, towards bathing itself.
According to some cat owners, most pets are not afraid of the water procedures themselves, but of those unfamiliar and frightening details that are associated with them. Such details usually include dim bathroom lighting, the noise of pouring water, high humidity in the room, an abundance of harsh and unpleasant odors of detergents.
The owner of a cat or cat is able to minimize the negative influence of most of these factors without much difficulty (for example, make the lighting brighter, refuse to use shampoos and gels with a strong aroma).
In each specific case, the process of accustoming a kitten or an adult animal to the bath should be carried out taking into account its individual characteristics. Regardless of how fast the educational process is progressing and what difficulties it is accompanied by, the cat owner must remain patient.
It is strictly not allowed to yell at a pet in the process of accustoming him to the bathroom, and even more so to use brute physical force in relation to him.
Alternative cleaning methods
An alternative to traditional water treatments is the use of special dry shampoos. They are used in cases when the animal’s fur needs to be cleaned of contamination, but this cannot be done by bathing for some reason.
The principle of using dry shampoos is quite simple. It provides for the application of these products, which have a powdery appearance, directly to the pet’s coat. After a certain amount of time, determined by the instructions, the product is combed out. During contact with wool, particles of dry shampoo absorb impurities and fragments of sebum, thereby cleansing the animal’s fur.
Shampoo towels are another good alternative to bathing. For this procedure, special towels are used, impregnated with a special organic composition. To achieve the desired effect, it is enough to thoroughly wipe the animal with a similar accessory. It is noteworthy that, together with dirt, such towels also eliminate unpleasant odors from wool.
For cats and cats with short or semi-long hair, you can also use this cleaning method:
- heat 0.5 kg of bran in the oven or in a dry frying pan;
- lightly chop the warm bran by rubbing them with your fingers;
- rub them into the pet’s coat with light massage movements.
Usually cats and cats take this procedure very calmly.
Warm bran, having good absorbing properties, absorbs dirt and sebum particles when rubbed into the wool. At the end of the procedure, the pet is carefully combed out.
Before you start bathing your pet, you need to prepare a set of accessories and equipment. Typically, this list includes such accessories and tools as:
- pet shampoo and (if necessary) conditioner;
- bathing basin;
- a basin with clean water for washing off the shampoo and a ladle (necessary if the animal is afraid of the shower and the turned on tap);
- rag, rubber mat or towel (for laying on the bottom of the basin);
- 2 large clean towels (one is required for preliminary wiping of the pet, the second for final drying).
Other accessories that are often used for bathing cats:
- special swimming net;
- massage mitten;
- fixation collar with suction cup.
The bathing net is an auxiliary accessory used for washing aggressive and restless cats and cats. The mesh reliably fixes the animal, depriving it of mobility and the ability to show aggression towards the owner. It is advisable to use this accessory only in the most extreme cases.
The massage mitten is a practical and functional accessory for bathing animals. With the help of such a mitten, a quick, light and uniform lathering of the wool is ensured, as well as a soothing or tonic massage effect is achieved.
Another accessory that makes bathing much easier is a special shower head with a button that regulates the intensity of the water flow.
Some of these nozzles are equipped with a lock button that turns on and off the water as needed.
What should be the temperature of the water?
One of the common mistakes that can permanently fix the panic fear of bathing in the memory of an animal is the incorrectly selected water temperature. Most felines are very sensitive to changes in ambient temperature, which cause them strong anxiety.
Optimal for bathing cats and cats is considered to be a water temperature that varies between 38-39 °.
You can determine the desired temperature level during the preparation process using a special water thermometer. If such a device is not at hand, you can try to estimate the water temperature “empirically”. To do this, an elbow or wrist is immersed in a basin of water. The water temperature should not cause discomfort, cooling or, on the contrary, burning the skin.
During washing, the condition of the animal should be monitored. If it trembles, feverishly fingering with its paws, trying to escape, you can pour a little hot water into the basin, bringing its temperature to 40 °, but not higher.
In some cases, warm water helps to relax the muscles and, as a result, a little calming of the pet.
How to properly bathe kittens?
Bathing is a very important and beneficial procedure. It helps to keep kittens’ skin and coat clean, beautiful and healthy. With its help, you can also remove fleas and other external parasites, bathing is also used as a prophylaxis for certain diseases. But with the wrong approach to this procedure, washing becomes not only useless, but also harmful.
In addition to stress and psychological trauma, improper bathing causes skin damage, colds, heart and gastrointestinal problems. To prevent this from happening, it is important to choose the right shampoo for your pet, taking into account its age and coat characteristics. It is necessary to start washing the kitten on time, observe a certain frequency of bathing and follow simple rules for carrying out hygiene procedures.
Bathing is a very important and beneficial procedure. It helps to keep kittens‘ skin and coat clean, beautiful and healthy. With its help, you can also remove fleas and other external parasites, bathing is also used as a prophylaxis for certain diseases. But with the wrong approach to this procedure, washing becomes not only useless, but also harmful.
In addition to stress and psychological trauma, improper bathing causes skin damage, colds, heart and gastrointestinal problems. To prevent this from happening, it is important to choose the right shampoo for your pet, taking into account its age and coat characteristics. It is necessary to start washing the kitten on time, observe a certain frequency of bathing and follow simple rules for carrying out hygiene procedures.
Why are kittens washed?
There are several reasons why it is worth bathing cats, including the smallest ones:
- Aesthetics. The cat’s hair, which is regularly bathed, looks beautiful. it shines and shimmers, it becomes softer and fluffier to the touch. This is especially true for purebred animals. for example, British or Scottish Folds, whose owners are going to show pets at exhibitions.
- Health. When bathing during the shedding period, most of the wool is washed off with water. Consequently, no excess hairs enter the cat’s stomach. Various harmful and even toxic substances are also washed off the surface of the cat’s body, which, if licked, would enter the gastrointestinal tract. The latter is especially true for animals that are outside and even just walk on the balcony. Thus, bathing helps to avoid many problems with the digestive system.
- Purity. As mentioned above, when bathing, dead hairs are washed off the surface of the cat’s body. This significantly reduces the amount of hair remaining in all areas of the apartment.
- Getting rid of external parasites. There are flea shampoos, their use is the best way to get rid of parasites in a small kitten, since special products are too toxic and can harm an immature body.
Cats are very clean animals. Normally, they themselves maintain the purity of their bodies at the required level. Therefore, when a pet is licked often and a lot, its coat looks neat and shiny. If he does not go for a walk, you can not bathe him constantly. However, during the moulting period, in case of heavy pollution (if the cat has fallen into the mud) or to get rid of fleas, you still have to wash the cat.
Kitten bathing instructions
Improper bathing can provoke serious stress in your pet, cause skin diseases and even the cardiovascular system. Therefore, it is important to do everything correctly so as not to injure either the cat or yourself. It is best to bathe the animal together: one person holds the kitten, and the second carries out all the necessary manipulations.
Step-by-step instructions explaining how to properly bathe a kitten:
- Before washing the cat, the owner is advised to put on a terry dressing gown and gloves. This is necessary so as not to get your clothes wet and to protect yourself in case the frightened animal begins to bite and scratch. Gloves should be used fabric rather than rubber, as the latter can cause unpleasant and even painful sensations to the pet.
- It is necessary to protect the vulnerable spots on the cat’s body. eyes and ears from water ingress. To do this, small pieces of cotton wool are inserted into the ears. But do not push them too deeply, otherwise the auditory canals of the animal can be damaged. As for the eyes, a little petroleum jelly can be applied to their inner corners with a cotton swab. This will protect sensitive mucous membranes.
- Place a rubber mat or a piece of cloth (towel or rag) in a bathing container (basin or tub). This is necessary so that the cat does not slip, feels more confident and does not break off its claws on the hard surface of the bath.
- Fill a bathing container with water. Its level should not exceed ten centimeters. Ideally, the water will lightly touch the cat’s belly. The temperature of the liquid should be about forty degrees. This is checked by bringing your hand to the stream of water. it feels like it should be slightly warm.
- After all the preliminary procedures, you can proceed directly to bathing, slowly and carefully lowering the kitten into the water. First, he should touch the liquid with his paws only. In this state, you need to hold it for a minute, allowing you to get used to it. Then omit entirely.
- Wet the whole animal. You can use a shower for this, but it creates additional stress for the cat in the form of noise. Therefore, at first, it is best to simply water the pet from above with water from a ladle or mug. To wet your head, you need to gently press your ears with one hand, and with the other (soaked in water) moisten the coat, making stroking movements.
- Lather the cat thoroughly with massaging movements. Most specialized feline shampoos are concentrated, so use very little.
- Wash off the shampoo. here it is very important to take your time and thoroughly clean the cat’s fur coat from the used preparation. It is recommended to wash the coat for at least seven minutes, otherwise shampoo residues may remain on the surface of the animal’s body, which further leads to skin damage (up to chemical burns) and poisoning as a result of licking.
- Dry the kitten thoroughly. To do this, first you need to wipe it with a towel with gentle massaging movements. It is best to use a soft terry cloth and rather large, then wrap the animal in the same towel and hold it for about twenty minutes so that the moisture is absorbed into the fabric.
- Remove the cotton plugs from the ears and remove the petroleum jelly from the corner of the eyes. To do this, you need to wet a piece of cotton wool or a sponge for removing makeup (sponge), then wipe your eye with a light and smooth movement of your hand.
At the very end, you can dry the kitten with a hairdryer, if he is not too afraid of the sound. The air should be neither cold nor hot. The hair dryer must be kept at least twenty centimeters from the skin of the animal. No matter how drying occurs, until the cat is completely dry, it is necessary to keep it in a warm room without drafts.
If the animal reacts very negatively to bathing, for the first time you can simply wet the kitten: introduce him to water, show him what it is. And after two weeks, wash it fully, applying shampoo. This should reduce the anxiety of the animal.
Some owners are wondering if it is possible to give the cat sedatives before bathing so that it can more easily endure the procedure. This should not be done, since such funds will do more harm than good to a healthy cat. they can cause serious pathologies of the heart and blood vessels.
At what age can kittens be bathed?
On the topic of the age of the beginning of bathing, opinions of experts were divided. Some believe that the ideal age to start accustoming to water procedures is about one month. The arguments in favor of this point of view boil down mainly to the fact that the earlier you start washing the animal, the faster and easier it will get used to bathing.
Others argue that you shouldn’t start washing your cat under four months old. And this is in case of urgent need, but it would be better to wait until the fifth. This point of view is due to the fact that the baby’s body is still very weak. it easily catches a cold after bathing, and it will be more difficult to cure it than an older animal. In addition, the first wash will be stressful for the kitten, and it will be difficult to endure it at a very young age.
A number of experts say that the best age to start bathing is two to three months. During this period, the kitten has already stopped eating mother’s milk, got stronger and got some immunity. At the same time, his psyche is still quite flexible in order to relatively easily adapt to something new.
Most veterinarians agree that a cat should be accustomed to water procedures no earlier than a month after he appeared in the house. Such a period is needed for the animal in order to get used to the new conditions. during this time it will become clear whether the animal is sick with any ailment in which bathing is contraindicated.
How to wash a kitten?
Pets are washed with specialized veterinary cat shampoos. You can not use human means, and those that are designed for other types of animals (dogs or rodents). To choose the shampoo that is ideal for a particular cat, you need to adhere to a few simple rules.
- The age of the animal must be taken into account. For the smallest pets, choose a shampoo marked “for kittens”. Smaller letters on the label will indicate what age the product is designed for.
- Another important sign is the type of coat (whether it is long or short, soft or hard, straight or wavy). If you can’t find a shampoo for a specific type of coat for a mongrel cat, you can use a preparation for a specific breed with the same type.
- The purpose of the processing is also important. There are shampoos for cleaning the coat; helping in untangling tangles; flea shampoos; means for the prevention of infection with parasites.
- You need to consider the breed. Each of them has its own shampoo, developed taking into account the characteristics of the coat.
If your pet, despite following all the rules, still reacts too sharply to bathing, you can use specialized dry shampoos. They are a powder that is applied to the animal’s fur, lasts there for a while, and then is removed by combing.
How often you can and should bathe your pet?
There is no consensus among veterinarians about how often an animal should be bathed. The named periods of abstinence from water procedures vary from one month to six months. Most experts agree that it is permissible to wash a kitten no more than once every three months. This is due to the fact that when bathing, the skin fat layer is washed off. And for a while, the integumentary tissues remain without natural protection.
But at least twice a year, it is necessary to bathe the cat for the reasons listed above. frequent washing is done as needed. in case of contamination of wool or infestation with parasites. If the animal walks outside, then after each walk you need to wash individual parts of the body. most often these are paws and stomach.
You cannot bathe a kitten for fourteen days after vaccination. And from the moment of castration of the cat, at least ten days must pass.
Features of bathing Sphynx kittens
The recommendations given in this section apply to all three Sphynx breeds. Don, Canadian, and Peterbald. They will be relevant for other hairless cats or animals with a thin coat. For example, for Cornish and Devon Rex.
Hairless cats have a number of characteristics that affect bathing. The fat layer, which in ordinary animals serves as protection, in sphinxes only contaminates the surface of the animal’s body, therefore, such kittens should be bathed more often (in the cold season. two or three times a month, in summer. every week).
Kitkat Playroom LIVE: Rescued mom cat Paisley and her 5 kittens
Sphynx skin is very delicate and unprotected, so you should not wear gloves when bathing these cats. Shampoos are best used for the breed. If for some reason this is not possible, a remedy for short-haired cats is also suitable. But it will need to be diluted with water in advance.
Sphynx heads are not washed, but wiped after bathing. For this, a cotton pad moistened with water is used. Particular attention should be paid to the skin behind the ears, in the corners of the eyes and around the nose.
Sphinxes can be dried only with a towel, never using a hair dryer. The fabric used to wipe these cats must be soft and fluffy. Movement when wiping is necessarily smooth and light, without strong pressure.
Keeping the room warm after bathing is very important for this breed of cat. Experts recommend keeping the washed sphinx in a room with a temperature of at least 25 degrees. You can even put on a special jumpsuit and a hat on the animal so that it does not catch a cold.
How often can cats and cats be bathed?
How often can cats and cats be bathed? With regard to this issue, the owners were divided into 2 camps. Some believe that cats in themselves are extremely clean animals, and it is not at all necessary to bathe them, while the latter are sure that it is necessary to help the pets and maintain their hygiene. This is not to say that one of them is wrong. The truth is somewhere in between.
Cleanliness in the blood
Looking at how carefully the cat is licked several times a day, how quickly and efficiently its rough tongue sweeps away all obstacles in the form of dirt, dust and motes entangled in the fur, some owners cannot even think that cats need to be washed additionally. But do not shift all the hygiene duties onto your pet, as it still needs bathing.
- Look at the cat. It does an excellent job of keeping the coat clean. Now look out the window. Most likely, you will see a lot of cars, people, other animals, as well as mountains of rubbish and dirt. All this settles on your pet’s fur, accumulates on it day after day, and then goes straight to the stomach. Even domestic cats need to be cleaned, since the owners bring dirt and dust into the house on their shoes.
- Seasonal molting is an inevitable period in a pet’s life. He washes with the same thoroughness, but where does most of the wool that has already fallen out? That’s right, into the stomach of the cat. Lucky cats simply present the owners with surprises in the form of regurgitation of fur on their favorite carpet, and less fortunate cats may have intestinal obstruction.
- There can be no question of neglecting the bathing of a cat that has been infected with fleas or is soiled in something that could enter the stomach and harm it.
These reasons deserve attention, but you should not throw everything and drag your pet into the bath for procedures. We come to the main question: how many times to bathe a cat.
How often can cats and cats be bathed?
There is no need to torment the pet with water procedures every day, it is absolutely useless for him. This will wash off the protective grease covering the cat’s fur and body, and the animal will undergo some diseases.
- A pet that does not leave the apartment needs to be washed once every six months;
- A cat that loves to walk outside and is there all the time needs daily washing of its paws. And you need to completely bathe the animal as it gets dirty, usually once every 1-2 months;
- A cat infected with fleas needs an unscheduled bathing with special anti-parasite products, which can be purchased at a veterinary pharmacy;
- You should not bathe kittens until the complete change of teeth and animals immediately after vaccination;
- A pregnant cat can only be bathed if it is heavily soiled;
- The frequency of bathing depends on the breed of your pet. If you are wondering how often you can bathe Scottish cats, then do not worry, they are subject to the general rules. But bald animals need to be washed more often, about once a week. By the way, most sphinxes love to swim.
If your cat has a negative attitude to water procedures and gets the strongest stress during bathing, do not forcefully drag him into the bath. From this, the animal can develop pathologies.
Get dry shampoo from your veterinarian. This is a spray that is applied to the cat’s fur and then carefully combed out of it. It perfectly cleans the animal from impurities and protects its nervous system. Most cats tolerate this procedure with ease.
Thus, bathing is an integral ritual of caring for cats and cats. Do not overdo it with the frequency of water procedures, and your pet will always be healthy and happy.
Kitten’s first bath
The first bath of the kitten, if it happened at the age of 1 to 4 months, will be easy for you. But the kitten will get a lot of stress. To soften it, you need the following.
Bathe your cat not in a large bathroom, but in a basin, so as not to increase the panic from the huge space from which you cannot free yourself.
Talk to the animal, do not make sudden movements, do all actions with love. Let him understand that there is nothing hostile in this process.
It is most convenient to bathe a kitten in a sink or basin, having previously collected a little water there, unlike an adult cat, which is most often bathed in a shower. It is very important not to create noise from the stream of water when bathing a small cat, so that he is less afraid.
Throw toys into the container to distract the cat a little.
Another tip on how to wash your Scottish Fold kitten. In the process of bathing, it is necessary to lather it with a special shampoo (you can buy a shampoo for sensitive skin or a special one for kittens), after the wool is moistened. It is necessary not to massage the coat with shampoo, but to iron it. After the cat is well soaped, the shampoo must be washed off very thoroughly, because otherwise, the animal will begin to lick very strongly the washed wool, on which there are shampoo residues. And this is fraught with health disorders.
How many months can you bathe a kitten??
Many breeders bathe cats from 1 month old. First, as we said, it teaches him to water. This is especially important if the animal will be on display and will have to wash it often. Secondly, this way you will maintain better hygiene. But bathing at 1 month is a task for breeders, because it is too early to take such small kittens into a new family.
EXPERT COMMENTARY: DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE KAREN BACKER
Some cats need baths sometimes. Greasy skin is one of the reasons why bathing may be required. When an overweight kitten is unable to properly care for the back of its body, hygiene baths are often necessary. I recommend that kitten owners train their pets to bathe while they are young. Once a cat reaches adulthood, bathing training becomes much more difficult.
If it is not necessary (the animal is clean, not for show), then bathing can be started in 2-3 months. The fact is that while the kitten is being looked after by his mother, she licks the baby well. But when he is excommunicated from his mother, he does not immediately begin to wash efficiently. And while he begins to do this, his fur coat can be seriously dirty. Then your intervention will be needed.
It is definitely worth starting to accustom the animal to water if the kitten is already 3 months old. Some wait until five, even though this is too long. Until 5 months, the animal will already receive its portion of the dirt, which it will have to wash off by itself (not being too skillful in this), swallow wool and clog its stomach. And in general, a cat that was bathed at 5 months does not get used to water so well. It’s the same story with human babies: if you put them in water at a young age, they start to swim by themselves, but try this trick for the first time with a 14-year-old teenager.
Bathing kittens: how and when it is better to do it
Took home a shaggy miracle and now you don’t know what to do with it? Playing, feeding and loving is good, but you also need care. And one of the important issues in the care of a kitten is bathing. We will try to answer all possible questions on this topic, and if any other aspects bother you, write about it in the comments.
Is it possible to bathe a kitten?
Bathing a kitten is not only possible, but sometimes necessary. Because in the course of its life, it gets dirty, in particular, not always washing well under the tail. In addition, grease accumulates on the coat, which leads to its dullness, and can also cause some diseases. There are other reasons for redeeming a kitten, such as skin diseases, parasites, fungi, etc. over, the sooner you start accustoming an animal to water, the easier it will be to perceive bathing in an adult state.
Drying the kitten
After bathing, the kitten must be dried, because he himself will dry for several hours. First, you need to gently blot it with a terry towel, and then wrap it in it.
Some breeders advise, without hesitation, to dry the kitten with a hairdryer. On the one hand, this is bad, because cats are afraid of the hair dryer, or at least do not like it. On the other hand, the prospect of being scared is still better than the prospect of getting sick. Therefore, you have to choose a hairdryer. An alternative could be a wind blower, which makes less terrible sounds.
During drying, you can comb the cat, wipe his eyes and ears.
At the end of the process, reward your pet with a treat so that bathing is associated with a positive ending.
Whether to bathe a kitten after vaccination and castration?
After vaccination, the kitten should not be bathed for at least 2 weeks, because during just this period the animal’s immunity will be reduced by the vaccine. But the kitten should be bathed after the planned worming, when the eggs of the worms can be on the fur and need to be washed off. And the worm is done just before vaccination, so before you vaccinate the kitten, you can bathe him.
After castration and sterilization, at least 10 days should elapse before bathing. during this period, the stitches heal.
Bathing a kitten in the first days after you took him home is also not worth it. The animal is going through terrible stress, which you will only increase, as a result of which its immunity will drop. The exception is the yard cats, which, of course, need to be washed immediately.