False pregnancy in dogs: treatment and prevention
A caring owner must definitely know what to do if the dog has a false pregnancy: how to eliminate the symptoms, avoid mastitis and return the pet to good health. This knowledge is very important, because the longer a false pregnancy lasts, the more severe the consequences.
All fertile bitches are prone to false pregnancy, regardless of breed and age. But in different dogs, the signs are expressed to varying degrees. And the stronger the manifestations, the greater the danger to the bitch’s health. You need to worry if your pet’s nipples swell in one and a half to two months after estrus, milk is released and behavior changes dramatically. In this case, the consequences can be very serious. purulent mastitis, tumors of the mammary glands, uterus and ovaries, pyometra and vaginal infections.
There are three methods for treating symptoms: folk remedies, homeopathy, and hormone therapy. Each method has its pros and cons, but the last two can only be used after consulting a veterinarian.
Before treating your pet with pills and injections, try to briefly “worsen” the conditions of detention:
- reduce the portion. Feed your dog a digestible, high-calorie food, but little by little. You can switch to one-time feeding, in the middle of the day. Cut back portions of meat, exclude milk;
- remove the bowl of water. Give your dog small meals three times a day. Eliminate liquid foods (soups, slimy cereals). Be sure to give water after exercise;
- remove anything that might remind the dog of puppies. First of all, these are socks, soft toys, belts and scarves, slippers;
- do not indulge the dog if it is clearly taking care (refuses to actively play, run, execute the “barrier” command). Distract and entertain the pet in every possible way, but without lisping and pity. Walk more, add fresh emotions, go to nature.
The same recommendations are valid if the owner is interested in the prevention of false pregnancy (but in this case they must be performed in advance, 10 days after the end of estrus and for a week). Moderate feeding, exertion and restriction in drinking are unsuitable conditions for childbirth, even “invented” by a dog. In most cases, lactation stops in 3-5 days, and the pet’s behavior returns to normal after a couple of days of “Spartan” conditions. Just don’t scold the dog and show discontent. it’s useless!
The most common way among owners to stop lactation is cold compresses from crumb, cabbage leaf, juice and aloe leaves, honey with egg yolk, etc. In theory, cold is stress that should stop milk production. Sometimes it really helps. But doctors do not advise resorting to such measures. the cold can worsen the situation if mastitis has already begun, but is still invisible.
Rubbing, massage and pumping are contraindicated, although many owners persist in making this mistake. Such measures are stimulation, due to which the milk will become even more. If you suspect mastitis, only your veterinarian will recommend treatment.!
Do not use herbal preparations to calm the nervous system of an agitated dog. The fact is that many herbs that are completely safe and beneficial for humans can be toxic to dogs. It is better to use special preparations for animals, for example Stop-stress or Fitx.
Tightening the nipples with bandages is also not the most reasonable method of treatment with folk remedies. due to the deterioration of blood circulation and microdamage, the risk of mastitis and neoplasms increases. To prevent your pet from licking the nipples (the dog does this to stimulate lactation), put on a tight (not tight!) Blanket or a protective collar.
This is the easiest way to prevent or eliminate symptoms if the false pregnancy has already blossomed. After the tests, the veterinarian will prescribe injections or pills of one of the many hormonal drugs (progestogen, estrogen, androgen, etc.). However, after hormone therapy, even for a short time and under the supervision of a doctor, complications almost always arise: pyometra, vaginal infections, anemia, obesity, cysts and cancer, thrombocytopenia, etc. As a rule, the dog’s health does not deteriorate immediately, but after several months or even years, i.e. the consequences are long-term, and this complicates the diagnosis and reduces the chance of timely treatment.
Therefore, a competent veterinarian will never immediately resort to hormonal drugs. This is an extreme measure, a solution in especially severe cases. If the doctor insists, then after hormone therapy it is better to neuter the dog. If the surgeon removes the uterus and both ovaries, the bitch will never suffer from a false pregnancy again. In addition, it will prevent the most dangerous complications. pyometra, cancer, etc.
As in the case of hormones, homeopathic remedies should not be used if there is even the slightest suspicion of a true pregnancy (there was a mating, the bitch ran away during estrus, a stray dog made a cage while the owner was distracted). Be sure to do an ultrasound of the ovaries and uterus before using hormones or homeopathy.
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some dogs are prescribed a monopreparation, others are given an individual regimen. Despite the skeptical attitude of veterinarians, homeopathic treatment is effective in many cases. But you will have to take tests several times and regularly visit the doctor so that he can observe the change in the dog’s condition under the influence of the drug. Homeopathy is relatively safe, and side effects are extremely rare (if the treatment is prescribed by a veterinarian!). But all the same. it is a temporary measure, like any other method of “treatment”.
False pregnancy is not a disease, therefore it cannot be cured. You can only reduce the symptoms and help your pet get out of this state faster. But after six months, i.e. after the next heat, all signs of malaise will return. Of course, you can resort to hormones or homeopathy every time, reduce the diet and increase the load, but hormonal changes will still undermine the bitch’s health. Therefore, you need to think not about how to treat, but about how to prevent a false pregnancy. There is only one way. sterilization. It is clear that this is not an option for owners of breeding bitches. In this case, the dog is knitted on a planned basis (no more than once a year), and in the periods between mating, homeopathy or traditional methods are used, after having received the advice of a veterinarian.
First aid for pseudopregnancy and prevention of occurrence
The state of an imaginary pregnancy usually goes away on its own within a few weeks and it often does not require any special action. The pet owner can only alleviate her condition somewhat by simple manipulations. When a false pregnancy is manifested in a dog, what every owner of a bitch should know to do:
- exclude all dairy products from the diet and limit access to fluid in a dosage manner so as not to stimulate lactation;
- transfer the bitch from dry feed to ordinary feed, in order to eliminate the additional stimulus of thirst, as well as to reduce the consumption of protein products, including meat;
- reduce the standard serving size of the food given;
- try to physically load the dog. walks, active games with a ball or stick, etc. This will help her to distract herself from imaginary care about non-existent puppies;
- it is forbidden to express milk so as not to provoke its additional production. Stop the dog’s attempts to lick (suck) milk from its nipples on its own (you can wear a special bandage or blanket);
- remove from the field of vision toys and, if possible, small pets, which are perceived by the bitch as imaginary puppies;
- when engorgement of the mammary glands, you can make compresses from loaf of crumb and honey, aloe juice or cabbage leaves (preferably at night).
With insignificant clinical manifestations of imaginary schenia, all of the above actions will help the dog survive this unpleasant period without much harm to health. It is also possible to speed up the process of its return to normal. If the symptoms persist or even intensify their manifestation, it is quite possible that the animal will not be able to help without drug exposure.
All of the above measures are also suitable for preventing the occurrence of hormonal disruptions in bitches. Starting from 9-10 days after the cessation of estrus, you need to reduce the portions of food and the amount of water consumed, exclude meat and dairy products, and increase physical activity. In other words, conditions are created for the animal, which the hormonal system will perceive as unfavorable for the appearance of offspring. All this will allow to mitigate or completely eliminate the falsehood syndrome.
IMPORTANT: if the first signs of a false pregnancy were detected in a bitch, the owner should not, in any case, scold or punish the animal for unusual behavior. The dog cannot control its instinctive state, because everything happens at the hormone level. But such an attitude can bring the pet’s state of nervous breakdown closer.
If the animal does not represent any breed value and the owner’s plans do not include regular mating and breeding of puppies, sterilization is considered one of the most reasonable and humane ways to prevent an exacerbation of a false pregnancy, as well as other gynecological problems and even problems with oncology. It is important to have time to carry out the operation in a state of hormonal rest (anestrus period) or immediately after a false pregnancy, removing both the uterus and the ovaries. It is impossible to sterilize at the very peak of the “false” state.
Some breeders use pseudopregnancy to their advantage. for example, they feed puppies to other bitches, which for some reason cannot do it themselves. In such cases, this condition can be prolonged, although it will cause less harm to the dog’s health than treatment.
Morphine antagonist, inhibitor of the hormone prolactin. The drug exists separately for humans and separately for veterinary medicine. when the dosage is maintained, it does not matter which one to use. Often difficult to tolerate, antiemetic drugs are given 40 minutes before injection.
Homeopathic remedy for any hormonal disorder in animals, including falsehood.
Medication for false pregnancy
In the case when the dog has a false pregnancy, only a specialist will tell you how to treat it. For treatment, drugs are selected only by a veterinarian and only after preliminary relevant studies: ultrasound, blood tests for hormones and a smear to control the vaginal flora.
IMPORTANT: it is strictly forbidden to provide self-medication to a dog in a state of imaginary pregnancy without consulting a veterinarian!
When prescribing medicines, it is taken into account:
- breed, weight and temperament of the animal;
- severity and duration of “imaginary” symptoms;
- how many times the condition has occurred;
- whether further mating of the bitch is planned;
- the state of the reproductive system and hormonal levels.
Preparations are hormonal and homeopathic. Hormonal drugs have many side effects, and their use carries some risks. Homeopathic medicines have fewer side effects, but their use is longer and more expensive. Throughout the treatment, the dog must be under veterinary supervision, because any drugs. even hormonal, even homeopathic. can have specific side effects that must be identified in time and their consequences prevented.
Herbal solution for the regulation of milk secretion and the treatment of mastopathy and mastitis in animals. Affects the level of prolactin production.
Specific behavioral signs:
- increased anxiety, whining;
- decreased vitality, apathy (the animal refuses to run / jump / play, passively, cannot be trained);
- signs of “nesting” are clearly traced (the dog persistently arranges a “nest” for future puppies, hides in sheltered places);
- pulling soft toys into the “den”, behaving with them as with puppies (licking, protecting, laying them out at the belly);
- transfer of maternal instinct to other small pets or even humans;
- aggressive protection of the “nest” (in severe cases).
Directly the very state of imaginary schenia does not threaten the dog with anything. Dangerous consequences that can cause significant harm to the animal’s health with a certain degree of probability of death.
Treatment of false pregnancy in dogs
First of all, the owner of the dog should be very careful about his pet, who is experiencing symptoms of a false pregnancy. In no case should you scold her for changing her behavior, realizing that the animal does not “squint”, but quite seriously feels like a future mother and prepares for this event, in full accordance with instincts.
- remove from the diet all dairy products that enhance lactation;
- reduce daily feed portions;
- reduce the amount of water, and if the dog eats dry food, then switch it to natural food or wet food, so that drying does not stimulate thirst;
- distract the dog with frequent walks, games, amusements, in every possible way to increase its physical activity;
- remove from the apartment all small toys that the dog can take for his puppies, as well as isolate other small pets from it;
- so that the dog does not lick milk, does not spill nipples, put on a blanket (it should not be tied tightly) or an “Elizabethan collar”.
If the diet and other manipulations do not help, the signs of a false pregnancy do not go away, but only become dotted, the psychological state of the animal worsens, then you need to contact the veterinary clinic for drug treatment.
False pregnancy in dogs
If the owner believes that his dog has clearly expressed symptoms of false pregnancy, it is necessary to confirm this condition by contacting the veterinary clinic for advice.
Symptoms of False Pregnancy in Dogs
4-8 weeks after the end of estrus in bitches, the so-called period of metaestrus begins. the endocrine gland called the corpus luteum continues to work and the dog’s brain receives signals from it about readiness for pregnancy, although no real fertilization has occurred. These signals can self-extinguish, or can lead to the fact that the dog’s body begins to prepare for the production of offspring, producing the appropriate hormones. progesterone and prolactin. And the dog begins to experience a state of false pregnancy.
False pregnancy symptoms in dogs can be divided into physiological and psychological. Knowing them, the owner of the animal must provide assistance to his pet in time.
Physiological symptoms of false pregnancy in dogs:
- an increase in the loop, swelling of the loop, gray-mucous or brown discharge from the loop (in some cases, there may be no discharge);
- swelling of the mammary glands and the subsequent excretion of colostrum and milk from them;
- nausea as a symptom of toxicosis, changes in appetite;
- slight enlargement of the abdomen;
- increased body temperature.
DOGS FALSE PREGNANCY SIGN AND SYMPTOMS, TREATMENT
Psychological symptoms of false pregnancy in dogs:
- “Nesting”. in secluded places the dog begins to build a place for future births and feeding puppies: pulls off various rags and builds a “nest” from them;
- pronounced apathy, decreased physical activity, brother’s interest in walking and playing;
- there may be increased anxiety, in rare cases. aggression, attempts to defend the “nest”;
- the manifestation of maternal instinct in relation to small soft toys or small pets. attempts to lick them, take care of them, like their own puppies;
All these signs may not appear completely, but in part, but if the owner noticed such a change in the behavior and physical condition of his dog, then it is worth immediately diagnosing in order to avoid the negative consequences that the state of false pregnancy can bring to the dog.
Popular questions and answers
Prevention of false pregnancy in dogs at home
If the dog has not been spayed, then no method has yet been invented to guarantee the prevention of a false pregnancy in it. But there are still prevention methods that can affect the hormonal system of the skuya. To do this, the owner must clearly track the time of cessation of estrus, count down 9-10 days and begin to create “unfavorable” conditions for the reproductive process of the dog’s hormonal system.
First of all, you need to change the animal’s diet: reduce the portions in half, try to exclude protein and all dairy products from the feed, leaving carbohydrates and a little fat, and reduce the portions of water. In addition, increase physical activity: walk more, engage in active games with the dog, reduce the size of the bed or replace it with a smaller one, so that it is impossible to build a “nest” in it. Such measures can help the dog to avoid the onset of a false pregnancy, and, if this condition does occur, then its symptoms can be transferred more quickly and easily.
Drugs for the treatment of false pregnancy in dogs can only be selected by a veterinarian and only after the results of tests: ultrasound, blood test and smear for the analysis of vaginal flora.
Today, false pregnancy treatment in dogs is carried out with the help of various groups of drugs: homeopathic, hormonal and sedatives.
After completing the treatment of a false pregnancy, the owner of the dog must understand that this condition can come again, so you need not only to know how to alleviate it, but also to decide whether he is ready to put his pet’s life in danger again.
How long does a false pregnancy last??
False pregnancies in dogs last differently. In favorable cases, the symptoms of this difficult for the animal condition can disappear in three to four weeks. Dogs can experience false pregnancy symptoms even longer. 60-90 days, in such cases, complications for their health are much more likely. If during this time the dog has not ceased to show all the signs of false pregnancy, then you must immediately contact the veterinary clinic to avoid serious complications.
How to care for a false pregnancy dog
Symptoms of false pregnancy last for several weeks, at which time you need to be patient with your pet.
In mild cases, drug treatment is dispensed with. The dog is transferred to a semi-starvation diet: the amount of meat in the diet is reduced, dairy products are excluded, and the amount of water is reduced. At the same time, you should increase physical activity for her.
Do not punish your pet during a false pregnancy for her behavior, which is determined by hormones. The dog cannot control itself. When milk appears, you do not need to express it. So that the bitch herself does not suck the milk, it is recommended to wear a blanket.
If false puberty in a dog is difficult, be sure to seek veterinary help from a specialist.
Causes of falsehood
False pregnancy occurs against the background of hormonal changes in the pet’s body. A distinctive feature of estrus in dogs is that the corpus luteum of pregnancy, which appears in the ovary at the site of the released egg, functions for about 2 months. the same in pregnant and non-pregnant bitches. During this time, pregnancy hormones and prolactin are produced, which stimulates the formation of colostrum and milk in the dog.
The syndrome of falsehood is directly associated with a sharp change in the production of the hormone progesterone. It is produced in the adrenal glands and corpus luteum of the ovaries.
The change in progesterone production occurs:
- If the mating of the dog occurred in the last days of estrus;
- In case of unsuccessful mating;
- In case of malfunction of the thyroid gland;
- In neutered bitches with incomplete ovarian removal.
How to tell if a dog has a false pregnancy
A false pregnancy is a condition where a non-pregnant dog looks and behaves like a pregnant dog. Against the background of changes in hormonal balance, the non-pregnant bitch shows signs of pregnancy and lactation, as well as maternal instincts.
False hygiene occurs after estrus, develops within two months and is fully manifested by the time of “childbirth”.
Dogs at risk of miscarriage:
- Dogs that have been knitted once;
- Dogs that have not become pregnant as a result of mating;
- Nulliparous females;
- Too emotional bitches with whom they walk and communicate a little.
False pregnancy in a dog: how to help your pet?
With a false pregnancy, both the body and the psyche of the pet suffer. Feeling pregnant but not being pregnant is not the best feeling. The knowledge that we decided to share with you in this article will help to avoid an unpleasant disorder in a dog.
Signs of a false pregnancy
Signs of falsehood are behavioral and physiological. They manifest themselves differently in each animal. In some dogs the signs are strongly pronounced, in others they are weaker. Changes in behavior are more noticeable for owners of bitches.
Behavioral signs for false pregnancy:
- Restlessness and irritability;
- Increased appetite or lack of it;
- Morning toxicosis;
The pet becomes naughty, begins to prepare for the appearance of offspring. The dog builds a “nest”, brings toys into it, behaves with them like a mother. There may even be a fake birth with simulated contractions.
An animal with a false pregnancy hides in the secluded corners of the apartment, it can be aggressive towards the owner or too sociable and intrusive.
- Weight gain;
- Enlargement and sagging of the abdomen;
- Vaginal discharge;
- Swelling of the mammary glands and the formation of milk in them.
Note that with a false pregnancy, not all signs may appear at the same time. Be attentive to the dog after estrus, monitor its behavior and condition.
Treatment and prevention of false pregnancy
False pregnancy is not a pathology, but often leads to sad consequences: mastitis, tumors of the uterus, ovaries and mammary glands, pyometra.
For the treatment of severe cases, hormonal, homeopathic, sedatives are used. For their appointment, be sure to contact your veterinarian.
Regular scheduled mating of a bitch is the prevention of pseudopregnancy symptoms. Also, homeopathic and hormonal preparations are used to prevent falsehood.
Walk more with the animal, give your pet physical and mental stress, show attention. A dog whose life is full of events and who is surrounded by love and care is less prone to false pregnancy. NVP “Astrafarm” wishes health to your pet.
False pregnancy in a dog. what to do?
Do dogs have a false pregnancy and how to distinguish it from a real one? It turns out that this phenomenon occurs not only in the human world, but also in our pets. So it can occur in cats. we already wrote about this in one of the articles. At the same time, doctors say that we are not talking about a disease, but about a physiological feature that can manifest itself in every bitch that has not given birth before. Some experts believe that this process was familiar to the ancestors of our smaller brothers. it helped the females to feed other people’s cubs, abandoned or for some other reason left without maternal warmth and care.
However, many owners continue to consider such a condition unacceptable and seek to rid their favorite of it. Is it necessary to do this? Doctors advise contacting a veterinarian and taking extreme measures only if the dog is uncomfortable, and changes in the body, manifested every day more and more, have a negative effect on the health of the animal.
In this article, we will tell you what to do if your dog has a false pregnancy, what are its symptoms and how necessary treatment is.
Why a dog has a false pregnancy and how to prevent and stop it
This is a natural physiological process, which means that it should be interrupted only when it threatens the life and health of the female. In all other cases, it is easier to wait for the disappearance of symptoms without resorting to hormonal and other effects.
If this phenomenon is repeated and manifests itself very strongly, use homeopathic remedies and follow the recommendations that we will give at the end of the article.
Symptoms of False Pregnancy in Small and Large Breed Dogs
They are variable, since each organism is individual. they can be completely absent, or they can manifest themselves especially clearly, expressed in a noticeable change in the female’s well-being, which prompts the owners to start treatment.
Among the main features:
- Loss of appetite, complete indifference to food.
- Excitement associated with unusual sensations and physiological changes that have occurred, increased excitability (the dog is noticeably nervous).
- Finding a place for yourself and imaginary puppies, arranging a nest. a lounger or other secluded corner.
- Abdominal enlargement, its sagging. looking at it, the owner can assume that a fetus is developing in the womb.
- Swelling of the nipples, milk flow. Often a slimy secret appears instead.
- Puffiness of the vulva, minor discharge.
- In especially severe cases requiring the intervention of a veterinarian and the appointment of adequate therapy, there is tension in the joints, signs of dysplasia appear. The animal can limp, move with difficulty, stagger.
- Sometimes childbirth itself occurs. contractions occur, which can be extremely painful for the dog, however, the cubs do not appear in the world, which makes it possible to once again make sure that there is no pregnancy.
- After “giving birth” the bitch finds herself a child. often his role is played by plush toys. and jealously protects him from strangers, licks it. An animal can show maternal tenderness not only for inanimate objects, but also for other pets (rabbits, cats, guinea pigs), even for a person (for example, a growing baby whom she takes for her). Sometimes during a false pregnancy, the female feeds the young kittens with the milk that has appeared, if their mother is not in the house. If the owner becomes a cub, the dog follows him everywhere, fins, tries to please (for example, brings things), protects him especially zealously.
- Often, a dog has unmotivated aggression towards members of the family in which it lives. the pet is afraid that all of them can harm a non-existent baby.
Some owners believe that the emerging signs of a false pregnancy require initiation of treatment and should not be ignored. However, in some cases, anxiety symptoms go away as spontaneously as they arise. If this condition continues for a long time, the dog experiences visible discomfort, and relief does not come in any way, a visit to a doctor is necessary. In this situation, it can be considered justified.
We remind you: hormone therapy is undesirable, because it can lead to unpleasant consequences, which will be discussed later.
What the research is talking about
It is in bitches that this condition occurs most often and is especially pronounced. It is also familiar to some rodents (rabbits), representatives of the weasel family (ferrets), cats, but they are increasingly asymptomatic, while in this case, the signs are difficult to miss.
This feature is associated with the specific structure of the body of dogs. Their sexual cycle is divided into several periods or stages:
- Proestrus. or forerunner. From the second name it becomes clear what this is about. This is a nine-day phase during which changes occur in both the dog’s behavior and condition, heralding the onset of estrus. These include swelling of the vulva, increased frequency of urination, and bleeding. At the end of this stage, the dog begins to attract neighboring males, but does not let them near him. there is a feeling that she is teasing them. During these 9 days, ovulation is possible, and after a few days and fertilization of the egg.
- Estrus. lasts the same as the previous stage. The main sign is the readiness of the bitch to admit the dog, the possibility of intercourse. The nature and type of discharge changes. they become not so abundant. Either on the first day or at the end of this stage, ovulation occurs.
- Diestrus. lasts especially long. 60-70 days, and begins from the moment when the dog rejects the dog’s persistent “molestation” for the first time. During this time, the vulva takes on its previous appearance, the discharge with traces of blood stops.
- Anestrus. the ovaries are at rest, resting until the next forerunner.
False pregnancy occurs just during the period of diestrus, since these processes coincide in duration (from 60 to 70 days). All this time, the endocrine gland, located in the ovary, functions. produces progesterone. The secretory phase proceeds in the same way. both in dogs that have committed coitus and in those who did not admit the males and did not become pregnant.
This suggests that regardless of whether there was a mating, the same hormones are secreted in the bitch’s body, which affect the state of the individual awaiting the birth of a puppy. Their number does not depend on whether the egg has been fertilized or not. Indicators of prolactin, which contributes to the prolongation of the luteal (secretory) phase, increase, which leads to external signs of pregnancy without the onset of such.
This phenomenon cannot be considered abnormal, which is why experts are in no hurry to call such a condition a disease. It is absolutely normal for most females, both large breeds and decorative.
There are myths that are fueled by the ignorance of the owners and the lack of awareness of some veterinarians.
That is, one of the forms of purulent endometritis. This opinion arose due to the fact that both the phenomenon under consideration and the inflammatory process in the uterus occur during the same stage. diestrus. The most susceptible to the development of a dangerous disease are those bitches who have undergone hormonal therapy due to the appearance of symptoms of a false pregnancy. So it is not the change in the body itself that is undesirable, but the methods that are used to get rid of it.
- The source of the problem is an irregular cycle
It is believed that bitches with an irregular cycle are much more likely to indulge their owners with strange behavior, which suggests that offspring will soon appear. In fact, the repetitive changes in the body of a sexually mature individual do not depend on whether this or that stage occurs regularly. All stages proceed in turn, and their sequence cannot be changed.
So, the main reason for false pregnancy in dogs is excessive production of prolactin, long-term maintenance of high levels of this hormone in the absence of a fetus. Chances to please their owners with a rounded tummy and swollen nipples, and then upset by the absence of puppies, every bitch has, regardless of what breed she is and what kind of lifestyle she leads. A deception that nature itself conceived? No, preparing the body for the intended bearing of a baby.
The consequences of false pregnancy in dogs
Most often, they talk about the development of pyometra and the appearance of neoplasms against the background of increased production of prolactin and changes in the behavior of the bitch. Why shouldn’t it be believed?
- Only mastitis in combination with changes in the hormonal background can lead to tumor growth, but only if the neoplasm has already arisen.
- As mentioned above, those animals that were treated with hormones are more susceptible to pyometra. The connection of this disease with the phenomenon under consideration is only in the fact that both of these conditions develop in the same period of the cycle.
The consequences can arise only against the background of taking certain medications, so think several times about whether it is worth self-medication, and be sure to consult a doctor so that he explains whether therapy is necessary.
How long does a false pregnancy last in dogs?
During the entire diestrus. about 60-70 days. In case of mild symptoms, absence of painful sensations and a visible deterioration of the animal’s well-being, “bearing a puppy” can be completed by the third week. The main recommendation for all owners: try not to overfeed your pet, reduce the portions of food and water.
It was said above how a false pregnancy proceeds in dogs and how long it lasts, and now we will tell you how to help a pet to survive this difficult period.
- It is imperative to reduce protein foods. we give meat products to a minimum, if possible, exclude milk, cottage cheese, etc.
- When feeding “by drying”, we recommend switching to products of the “light” category. again due to the low protein content in it.
- A dog experiencing a false pregnancy should drink less. this will help to suspend lactation.
- We regularly walk with the animal, increase the intensity of physical activity.
What if the bitch licks off the protruding milk herself? This can negatively affect her health, as it will lead to increased lactation. A simple blanket will help. put it on the female to exclude any possibility of such “feeding”.
Some owners, in search of an answer to the question of how to help a dog with a false pregnancy, find unacceptable options. for example, expressing milk or tightening the glands. Doing this is strictly prohibited. If you do not have the opportunity to purchase a bandage, lubricate the nipples of the animal with camphor alcohol diluted with water.
Attention: if the use of ointments or solutions containing camphor causes an allergic reaction, it is necessary to stop using the skin irritating agents and consult a veterinarian.
If your dog’s nipples are severely swollen and rough, homeopathic remedies based on arnica can be used. Rub them in twice a day. in the mornings and evenings.
Earlier we answered the question of how false pregnancy manifests itself in dogs, and now let’s talk about how to treat it and what drugs are used for this condition.
Features of therapy
Medicines can only be prescribed by a doctor. Be sure to make an appointment with the veterinarian if you notice that the animal is experiencing discomfort caused by painful sensations and changes in the hormonal background, as well as if the period of “gestation” of puppies is prolonged and does not stop after 60-70 days.
If there is no threat to the pet’s life, it is advisable to do with homeopathic preparations. It:
- Ovariovit. either in the form of injections or tablets. Helps to eliminate the excessive nervousness of the female, is indicated for pathologies of the reproductive system, problems with the mammary glands.
- Galastop is administered orally. Helps to reduce prolactin levels, prevent milk production, leads to a rapid disappearance of symptoms.
- Emicidin. used for both prophylactic purposes and direct treatment.
- Bromcamphor. reduces aggression, eliminates agitation and nervousness.
How to understand that a dog has a false pregnancy, and what to give her at the first sign of this condition? Some insist on hormone therapy.
- Such drugs should not be given to immature bitches, as well as during the first estrus.
- Especially intense exposure to estrogen can cause anemia and a decrease in the number of platelets in the blood.
- Possible weight gain as well as hair loss.
- After termination of the course, lactation may return.
- Taking androgens can provoke the development of vaginitis and negatively affect the condition of the fetus later.
The most reliable way to find out if a dog is pregnant is by ultrasound. The procedure is carried out from 24 to 35 days after mating. At this time, you can accurately see not only the presence of puppies, but also find out their exact number, predict the course of pregnancy. For a more accurate diagnosis, ultrasound is done at a later date. For example, 38-45 days after mating. You can trace the formation of babies, draw conclusions about their health and readiness for birth.
Early signs of pregnancy in dogs
Any dog owner wants to know as soon as possible if the mating was successful. An attentive owner will be able to determine early pregnancy if he observes the behavior of his pet. After mating, the dog behaves as usual. The first sign may be a decrease in appetite. Fertilization took place. the hormonal background began to change. And the dog feels it. The body is under stress. This can be reflected in poor health, lack of appetite, anxiety.
Believe it or not, dogs also have toxicosis! The body can respond to the onset of pregnancy with vomiting and diarrhea. This is a temporary phenomenon and will not last long. Provide comfort and peace to the animal. Toxicosis is an early sign of pregnancy. If vomiting appears in the second month, this is a bad sign. In this case, you need to urgently consult a doctor. Changes in behavior can also indicate an “interesting” situation. An active dog can become affectionate, abandon violent games in favor of quiet evenings in the company of the owner. Aggression and anxiety may also arise. The animal is able to worry and negatively relate to touch, especially in the back and abdomen.
False Pregnancy In Dogs (signs, symptoms home treatment). Dog Health Vet Advice
A dog can become passive if it is often drowsy. Some mom-to-be can literally sleep all day. It is very important not to forget that decreased activity and lack of appetite indicate the onset of the disease. Therefore, if your dog becomes passive and stops eating, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. He will be able to accurately determine whether such behavior is a disease or whims of the expectant mother. In the second week of pregnancy, there may be a change in the nipples. They swell, changing color.
Signs of pregnancy in a dog help to know about the condition of the pet early. However, today veterinary clinics also offer an early diagnosis service using a special test. This is a blood test that will show the level of the hormone relaxin. By the second week of pregnancy, it begins to grow. This may indicate an “interesting” situation that has come. If this test is carried out by the end of the first month of pregnancy, then the result can be obtained 100%.
Signs of false pregnancy in dogs
False pregnancy is not uncommon in the canine world. It occurs one month after estrus in untied bitches or in case of unsuccessful mating. In this case, the hormonal background changes in the same way as in a fertilized dog: all the early signs of pregnancy are present. The animal’s nipples swell, colostrum is secreted. The female can equip the den and even treats her toys like puppies. False pregnancy symptoms in dogs usually go away on their own after 2-3 weeks. In some cases, you may need veterinarian assistance and hormone therapy.
Duration of the “interesting” position
On average, a normal pregnancy with our little friends lasts 61-66 days, that is, about two months. There are deviations, but small ones. The exact duration of pregnancy in dogs depends on both the breed and the individual characteristics of the organism and the number of puppies. It can vary from 57 to 72 days.
Caring for a pregnant dog
After the planned mating, without waiting for the first signs of pregnancy in the dog, the owners should begin to rebuild the schedule and diet. The place of the animal should be large so that the expectant mother is comfortable lying even with a grown tummy. If necessary, the lounger must be increased. Females in position are more picky about the litter, as it is difficult for them to find a comfortable position. If the four-legged pet began to refuse any products, for example, eggs or milk, you should not force her. This can lead to dysbiosis and allergies. Early pregnancy in dogs is the time to take a vitamin course. Calcium, magnesium, ascorbic acid are especially needed. These can be powders or dietary supplements.
You should not limit your pet while walking. The dog itself will understand when it is time to stop active games. It is also important that the expectant mother goes outside. She benefits from sunbathing, which is necessary for metabolism and synthesis of vitamins. Rest is important for a dog in a position, so the place should be in a quiet corner where the animal will not be annoyed by excessive attention from children and other pets. Do not let a pregnant bitch lie on a cold surface for a long time: concrete, earth, wet grass. Travel by car will also have to be shortened, as many dogs in position begin to rock.
Also, a pregnant bitch should be protected as much as possible from jumps, falls, active games with other animals. Be as careful as possible on stairs and avoid them if possible. Find a veterinarian in advance to manage the pregnancy and deliver the baby. It will be possible to contact him urgently in case of force majeure situations. Pregnancy in small breed dogs is often closely monitored by a veterinarian, as many are unable to give birth on their own and will need surgery. Monitor the condition of the animal. Remember that during pregnancy all diseases become aggravated and possible health problems are felt. For example, brachycephalics may have difficulty breathing, and large dogs may suffer from joint pain.
4 weeks after mating, it is already clear if the dog is pregnant. The hormonal storms will subside, the behavior of the four-legged pet will return to normal. Puppies in the second month of pregnancy are actively growing. The dog’s belly begins to round. She often turns over in a dream, can be laid on the litter for a long time. There are signs by which you can judge the normal course of pregnancy. The animal has a good appetite. over, if the diet of the expectant mother is drawn up correctly, it is balanced and satisfying, then she will not eat for three. The usual amount of food is enough for her.
The dog protects the stomach, allowing only the owner to come close to him. If the animal has had problems with the perception of strangers before, then it can become aggressive towards strangers. Many animals do not like to be touched by their belly. In addition, the tone of the uterus appears. The abdomen becomes firm and elastic. This protects the growing puppies. The nipples swell, change color and become warm. They can be filled with colostrum. Transparent mucous discharge may appear from the genitals, especially after urination.
From 25-30 days, the puppies’ heartbeat can be listened to with a stethoscope. When you touch the belly, you can feel the babies, their movements. Many veterinarians do not recommend an ultrasound scan earlier than 35-40 days. This gestation period in dogs allows you to determine the number of puppies and judge their health.