Drawings of the dog house
As soon as the drawing, and therefore the type of housing for the dog, is chosen, we proceed to creating a booth with our own hands.
How to make a dog kennel: step by step instructions
First of all, we cut the boards. In the event that the roof is single-pitched, the rear wall of the booth should be shorter than the front one, so that the rainwater slope behind the booth.
We prepare wooden blocks for the booth frame. Better to make the length of the bars with a small margin.
We knock off the frame of the booth in accordance with the previously prepared drawing
We sheathe the frame of the booth from the inside with boards, it is immediately recommended to build a roof. So that the dog does not get hurt, the boards must be sanded.
We construct a manhole in the front wall of the booth, the ends of which also need to be processed
Now we turn to insulation: we must insulate the floors, walls and roof with foam, on top of which the outer wall of the boards will be fixed.
After that, we sheathe the outer part of the booth using the material of your choice (Fiberboard, Chipboard, lining, etc.). If material permits, it is recommended to use wood siding.
We sew and insulate the frame of the dog booth
Next, we proceed to sealing cracks and seams, so that wind and precipitation do not worsen the cozy location of the dog. As a sealant, you can use slats, plinths, glazing beads, etc., the main thing is that they are wooden.
After sealing, we move on to the roof of the roof. For this, it is best to use slate sheets.
Well, in the end, it remains to treat the finished dog booth with an antiseptic and install the building on bricks or a pallet so that the floor does not rot on damp earth
That’s all, the do-it-yourself dog booth is ready! It remains only to paint it and install it in a suitable place.!
Materials and tools needed to make a do-it-yourself dog kennel
In order to make a booth with your own hands, you must use environmentally friendly materials, it is best to use a tree (conifers). For construction, use clapboard, 12.5 mm thick (outer cladding), as well as Fiberboard, Particleboard, plywood and floorboard. You will also need bars in sizes 100100, 4040 and 10050. To create external corners and decor of the booth, use a wooden corner, as well as a symmetrical plinth and decorative slats.
To insulate the booth (and this must be done), use glassine, foam and mineral wool. The roofing material of the booth will be a galvanized profiled sheet or slate. It is not recommended to use bituminous shingles and roofing felt for these purposes, because out of habit, the dog will gnaw them and thereby harm its health.
The tools that we need in order to make a booth with our own hands are as follows:
- A hammer
- Building level
- Hacksaw or circular
- Galvanized nails
- Paint (pinotex)
- Drying oil
- Antiseptic impregnation for wood
Choosing the size of the dog booth
The first step is to determine the size of the dog booth. To do this, we determine what kind of dog you have in size. There are 3 types of dogs: small, medium and large. Accordingly, dachshunds and similar dogs are referred to representatives of small ones, German shepherds are medium-sized, and Caucasian shepherd dogs are large. Based on this classification, it is customary to make booths of the following sizes:
- For small dogs: 700 550 600 mm (where the length is the first and the height is the last)
- For medium dogs: 1200 750 800 mm
- For large dogs: 1400-1000950 mm
The dimensions of the doghouse are allowed to be adjusted based on the dimensions of your own dog.
In order to correctly determine the size of the booth, you must adhere to this technique:
- In order to correctly choose the width of the hole, measure the width of the dog’s chest and add 5-8 cm to this value.
- The ideal height of the manhole is 5 cm below the height of the dog’s withers.
- The height of the booth should be 5-8 cm at the withers.
- The depth of the booth equals its height (except for some dog breeds, which dictate their own booth dimensions)
As mentioned earlier, the size of the booth can be slightly “moved”, but only to a larger value, especially if the booth is being built for a puppy.
During the construction of the booth, it is necessary to be aware of the following points:
- Accommodation for the dog should be comfortable so that it can lie down, turn around or stand up.
- The inlet should not be narrow, it is better, on the contrary, to slightly widen it for convenience
- The booth must be covered with insulation so that the dog does not freeze in the winter.
- The walls and roof must provide reliable protection from wind and precipitation.
- The material for making the booth must be environmentally friendly so that the dog does not spoil its health while living in the booth (it is best to use wood)
- The booth must be correctly located in the backyard (the side must not be windy, and the dog must see everything that happens on the territory)
- The roof can be either single-pitched or double-pitched, there is no big difference
- For convenience, make a small attic under the roof of the booth, in which you can put dog toys, dishes and other accessories.
- The manhole must be built in the direction of the long wall so that the dog can more conveniently climb into the booth
If you are the owner of a large dog, it is recommended to build a booth in a dog enclosure, which is also not difficult to build with your own hands.
After we have decided on the size of the booth, we proceed to sketching a drawing, with the help of which it is easier to build a booth with our own hands.
Photo of dog booths
Another similar article: do-it-yourself birdhouse for the garden, go in and read!
Basic recommendations before building a booth
As a rule, a kennel is built for an adult animal, therefore, for a puppy of a certain breed, you need to find out the size of an adult. Otherwise, very soon you will have to redo the booth, from which the baby will quickly grow.
Before making a dog kennel, also decide if your dog will live in it in the winter. Indeed, in this case, the booth will need to be insulated, and the larger its dimensions, the more difficult it is to do it. Remember that the dog’s “house” should be spacious so that the dog can easily lie down, turn around or stand up in it. In addition, I advise:
- Do not make the hole in the booth too narrow, it is better to widen it and place it on the long side, shifting to the edge.
- Make a removable roof. this will allow you to ventilate the kennel and easily clean it.
- Make a preliminary drawing of the future building.
You can make both a pitched roof and a gable roof. It depends on your personal preference. If you live in an area where strong winds often blow, then you can build a “two-room” kennel. To do this, we double the width of the booth and divide it into two rooms using a partition.
Laz in the second compartment should lead from the first “room”, into which the dog can get through the hole from the yard. Having decided on the type of kennel and its dimensions, make a sketch of the structure and start building a new “house” for your four-legged friend.
How to make a dog kennel with your own hands
Before making a kennel for a dog, you need to decide on its size and familiarize yourself with the general rules for creating such a building. Then you will get a compact, warm and reliable booth just for your four-legged friend. For the construction of a dog kennel, you can use almost everything. wooden boards, moisture-resistant plywood, timber or other material available to you. The main thing is that it is warm and natural.
How to correctly calculate the size of the kennel
First of all, we determine the dimensions of the dog’s housing, which completely depend on the size of your dog. Conventionally, all dogs are divided into small, medium and large. Accordingly, the comfortable sizes for each group of dogs will be the following:
- for small ones (for example, dachshund). 705560 cm;
- for medium dogs (collie). 1207580 cm;
- for large (Caucasian). 14010090 cm.
But this is average data, you can always correct it based on the size of your dog.
Therefore, before making a kennel with your own hands, I advise you to measure the future tenant, and make the following calculations:
- The optimal width of the “entrance” is equal to the width of the dog’s chest plus 5–8 cm.
- It is better to do the height of the manhole 5–6 cm less than the height of the withers (the place on the spine between the shoulder blades) of your four-legged friend.
- To determine the height of the structure itself, we again take the height of the withers and add 5–8 cm to this value.
- Usually the depth of the booth is made the same as its height.
- The width of the building should be slightly larger than the length of the dog (you need to measure from the tip of the nose to the tail).
It is better to never decrease the given dimensions, but, on the contrary, slightly increase them for the greater convenience of your dog.
How to make a dog kennel right
First of all, prepare everything you need. You will need planks and wooden corners, as well as beams for the base of the kennel. For insulation, it is better to take mineral wool or polystyrene. inexpensive and effective. As a roofing material, I advise you to take traditional slate or galvanized sheets. To make a dog kennel with your own hands, you will also need:
- nails and wood screws;
- electric screwdriver;
- jigsaw or saw;
- a hammer;
- paint and impregnation for wood processing.
With all of the above at hand, you can proceed directly to the construction of a dog kennel. I advise you to adhere to the following sequence of works:
- From the bars 4040 we make a frame for the bottom, to which we fasten the boards with nails.
- Then, to the finished bottom, we vertically attach wooden blocks at the corners to make a frame. If you decide to make a pitched roof, then the rear bars should be shorter than the front frame pillars (this will ensure the rainwater slope back).
- Perpendicular to the bottom, we attach 4040 beams to the main posts, which will additionally strengthen the walls and support the roof.
- After that, you need to sheathe the frame from the inside with well-sanded boards. Make a hole in the front of the booth, do not forget to process its edges so that the dog does not get hurt.
- If you are making a winter kennel, insulate the floors, walls and ceiling with the chosen insulation (for example, foam plates). And close the top with a plank wall.
- The finished structure can be sheathed with clapboard, siding or other finishing material to give the kennel a more attractive look and protect its inner part from external influences.
I advise you to treat the finished kennel with an antiseptic to extend its life, and then paint it. Now set the booth on logs, bricks or foundations so that the bottom does not touch the ground. Then the floor of the kennel will not rot prematurely, and your dog will be protected from the cold.
As you can see, you can make a doghouse in almost a few hours, if you think over its design in advance and prepare everything you need. And having coped with such a simple construction, you can move on to more complex structures and build a bath with your own hands.
How to make a dog kennel with your own hands
Pets need a place where they can rest, hide from bad weather and bask in winter. Learn how to make a do-it-yourself kennel for a dog using ready-made drawings, sizes and photo stages. With the right approach, a doghouse will become a decoration for the site.
This material shows high heat-retaining properties. There is relative health safety for pets with proper thermal insulation. Laying mineral wool is associated with features that must be taken into account:
- The material is highly hygroscopic. At the time of assembling the kennel, a vapor barrier is additionally installed.
- Perlite is placed between the inner lining and the insulation. It traps microfibers to protect the respiratory system.
- When using mineral wool, the walls of the kennel and the space between the outer and inner lining are increased.
Drawing up drawings
For the correct manufacture of the kennel, at the first stage, you need to choose the appropriate size and shape. There is no need to overload the structure. Excess overlap, partitions and other elements interfere with the animal.
The best option is considered a simple booth with a lean-to roof and a manhole on the side. In summer, the dog will be able to use such a covering as a couch in the fresh air.
Removable top for easy cleaning in the booth.
The dimensions of the kennel are calculated according to the size of a particular dog. The pet should fit freely into the hole, so its width is made 5-10 cm larger than the dog’s chest. The top of the manhole is made 5 cm below the height of the dog. The puppy booth is calculated according to data on adults.
When constructing a kennel, it is important to consider the following requirements:
- The construction of the booth does not contain unnecessary elements. The dog should feel comfortable.
- In regions with cold winters, walls and roofs are insulated. The bottom of the kennel must be insulated in any case.
- The entrance manhole is made convenient. If necessary, the passage is widened.
- The covering and walls reliably protect the dog from weather conditions. The booth must support the weight of the animal.
- The assembly uses environmentally friendly materials. Wood is harmless to dog health.
- The kennel is installed in a windless part of the site with a maximum view of the terrain.
Natural material, environmentally friendly and easy to install. Well protects the room from strong winds and cold air.
To insulate the booth, pieces of the required length are cut off and attached to the skin and frame. A construction stapler is used for fixation.
Attention! The decision on the choice of insulation material is taken before the start of the assembly of the structure. The process of warming is carried out simultaneously with the sheathing of the frame.
Insulation of the booth
In regions with a mild climate, the dog house does not need additional heating. The design of the loop allows you to keep warm inside the room without interfering with the flow of oxygen. And breeds with a warm undercoat (for example, huskies) can easily tolerate low temperatures.
But for short-haired breeds and harsh winter conditions, this is not enough, and the booth is additionally insulated. There are several ways to make a warm dog kennel.
The installation of electric heaters can theoretically maintain a constant temperature regime. But most dog breeds do not need much heating. Radiators and underfloor heating do more harm than good.
- With a high temperature difference in the booth and on the street, pets are at risk of getting sick. A sharp change in heat and cold is harmful to all living organisms.
- Heating with electrical appliances dries the air. As a result, there is premature loss of hair and undercoat, deterioration of the dog’s health.
- Electric heaters must not be installed near wooden elements in accordance with fire safety regulations.
- Expenses for additional communications and constant maintenance of devices in working order.
Despite the effectiveness, the method has a number of significant disadvantages. Professional dog handlers recommend not using electric heaters to heat a dog’s home.
Wooden structures are reliable, but large dogs can damage key elements and injure themselves. To increase the reliability of the booth, brick is chosen as the main material. Such a dog’s dwelling can withstand heavy loads. Often used for Alabai.
The construction of the kennel is carried out in stages according to the following scheme:
- Pet measurements are taken. Record the height at the withers, length and width. Verify data with ready-made sketches and drawings. Changes to the calculations are made if necessary.
- The building plot is cleaned and leveled. A trench is prepared for the foundation (approximately 25 × 25 cm), taking into account the size of the booth. It is poured with concrete and left to harden.
- A brick is laid on the prepared area, observing the rules of laying and preserving right angles. The space for the manhole is left free. After reaching the top of the entrance opening, a wooden bar is installed and they continue to lay bricks on it.
- The inner space is upholstered with a layer of insulation and wood.
- On the upper part, an insulating layer is installed, a wooden floor and covered with a roof covering (slate, OBS-Studio asphalt tiles, etc.).
Attention! This design is capable of supporting the weight of large dogs and is suitable for a Labrador retriever. But it is important to pay attention to the insulating layer. A kennel without insulation will be unsuitable for living in the cold season.
How to choose the right size of the structure?
Intending to put together a beautiful booth for a domestic dog with your own hands, you need to draw a diagram of the future structure, taking into account its size. This will help you calculate the material consumption. Determining the size of a house is one of the most difficult and crucial stages of work.
If the house is intended for an adult pet, it is easier to calculate its parameters: it is recommended to add 10 cm to the animal’s height to get the height, the same amount to the width of the chest to get the size of one of the sides, and 20 cm to the body length to calculate the depth. If there are enough materials, it is allowed to make the building volumetric.
It is more difficult to choose the right parameters for the puppy, because the dog will still grow. In order not to be mistaken, when calculating, it is better to be guided by reference materials. For large breeds. Great Danes, Mastiffs, St. Bernards. the dimensions of the booth are considered universal as 1.2 × 1 × 1 m.It is recommended for average dogs like the Russian hound, husky, retriever to make a house with a height and depth of one meter, and a width of 80 cm. Small dogs correctly build a booth with dimensions of 0.6 × 0.8 × 0.6 m.
Booth made of boards, OSB, Chipboard with insulation for the winter
The main purpose of the doghouse is to warm the animal in bad weather. In a harsh winter, a wooden or brick house is unlikely to be able to fully fulfill this function. The dwelling for the dog needs to be insulated.
For this purpose, the owners can use polystyrene, roofing material or mineral wool. Insulation materials, according to the rules, are sewn into the structure, the parts of which are made of plywood, chipboard panels, boards.
When making a kennel from a bar 10 cm thick, there is no need to insulate its walls, but the floor needs to be insulated in any house. For this, it is more convenient to use foam. It is laid between the bars and sewn up with boards. The floor frame is designed so that the part with the protrusions is on top. It is advisable to cover the bottom of the structure with glassine, securing its edges with a stapler, lay the foam on top, then put another layer of glassine and lay the finishing floor.
The insulation measures described above will not warm the house if there is a frost of 30 degrees outside. For a dog dwelling located in northern latitudes, it would be advisable to make a heating system. It is recommended to do it with electric panel heaters. It is desirable to attach such a device to one of the side walls inside the house.
Another option for heating the booth is to create a warm floor using infrared film. The device is laid during the construction of the booth. Such a heater will be able to heat the bottom of the kennel to 60 degrees, while there is no risk that the dog will burn itself.
Building with a canopy
A house with a canopy is not able to provide the tenant with good protection from wind and cold, therefore it is installed in a place where it does not blow: behind some outbuilding, behind people’s dwellings, a high fence. The roof and bottom of the kennel from the side of the manhole are made protruding.
The size of the canopy depends on the size of the owner of the dwelling: it is important that the dog can lie freely under it. As a rule, the construction area is half the area of the booth itself. The house gives a lot of space for imagination: it is quite possible to turn it into a fabulous house, decorating the porch and the manhole with carved details.
A much more complicated option is a two-story booth, in which a sleeping place is located on the 1st floor, and a couch with a roof is equipped on the 2nd. The advantage of the design is its originality. In addition, some dogs like to lie on the roof of their booth, and a two-story kennel takes into account this addiction of the dog.
Capital structure made of timber, wood, brick
A brick or wooden booth is a reliable structure that will serve as a cozy home for your pet, where the dog will feel completely safe. There are many models of dog kennels: you can make a kennel with a gable or a pitched roof, a two-story house for several animals, a structure with a vestibule, a booth with a canopy, an insulated house, etc.
A brick box will last for many years, but it is impossible to move it from one place to another. Most often, timber, boards, plywood are used for the manufacture of dwellings for dogs and puppies.
For one and two dogs
Depending on how many dogs will live in the kennel, it can be one-room or two-room. If two dogs will live in the room, it is recommended to build a one-story building in which two rooms with separate manholes will be located under a common roof. They are separated from each other by an internal partition.
Sometimes one terrace is attached to a house for two residents, but in general, the structure of the building does not differ from a one-room booth. The compartments in it must be the same. If the pets have different dimensions, the booth must be made in accordance with their individual dimensions.
House in the house
No matter how cozy the booth is, the dogs like to live with the owner more. If there is such an opportunity, in the apartment or house, you can allocate a place for a dog house so that the pet has its own corner. The design of the building should be in harmony with the style of the room. An exception may be a house built on a balcony: this part of the house often becomes a separate room that belongs exclusively to the pet.
How to build a dog house?
It is recommended to start work by choosing a place where the booth will be located. Then you need to draw up a drawing of the future structure, determine its dimensions and material consumption. In this case, it is advisable to decide in advance what the house will be built from. The choice of materials is wide, but more often the booth is built from bricks or planks. Having decided on the material, you can start to implement your plan.
Before starting the construction of a structure, it is worth preparing the necessary tool:
- electric screwdriver;
- a hammer;
- ruler or tape measure;
- planer. if you purchased non-planed material;
- scissors for metal.
Also, before starting work, material is prepared:
- fasteners. screws, nails;
- bars, boards, lining;
- roofing material;
- plywood or particle board;
- impregnation to protect wood from external influences.
You also need to take care of the heat-insulating material even before starting the assembly, and choose the best option for environmental friendliness, practicality and affordability.
Consider how to determine the size for the booth based on the fact that your pet has already grown:
- to determine the width of the structure, you need to measure the height of the dog to the tips of the ears and add 5 cm;
- construction depth. the length of the dog from the tail to the tip of the nose with an addition of 5 cm;
- to properly equip the hole, measure the dog at the withers and add 5 cm.
DIY Dog Kennel House Build | #AD | The Carpenter’s Daughter
Have a puppy that will live on the street from the first days, then you should refer to the table below, which gives the reference sizes of booths for dogs of different breeds:
|Dog size||Width mm||Length mm||Height mm|
It is better to make the entrance to the structure closer to the corner, so the dog will have a small enclosed nook. Kennel for german shepherd
What kind of roof to install on the booth: single or gable, depends on the preferences of the owner. We will analyze the pros and cons of each option.
Photos of beautiful
If the site is decorated in accordance with the rules of landscape design, then a simple kennel for a dog, hammered out of boards, may not fit into the overall look. By constructing a structure with your own hands, you can turn on the artist’s imagination and decorate the house for a four-legged friend. To do this, you can use both improvised materials and wood carving.
The simplest and most inexpensive insulation that can be assembled in a matter of hours:
- Cut elements of the required size with a clerical or construction knife;
- Secure the material from the inside of the kennel with a stapler and staples.
The result is high-quality insulation with natural material that is not afraid of wind and frost. It is also considered an important point that this heat insulator has a high vapor permeability.
It is possible to carry out forced insulation if wiring is carried out to the booth. A warm, heated booth (like a rug) has advantages:
- the temperature in the kennel is constant, even in extreme cold;
- electric heating dries the air in the structure, which is important.
But there are also disadvantages that cannot be ignored:
- The dog is an active and curious animal, and can get to the elements of electric heating. There is a danger of electric shock.
- A short circuit may occur in case of constant dampness.
- You can try and protect your dog from these troubles, but then the cost of the kennel will increase significantly.
It is better not to use this heat insulator, since for high-quality insulation you will have to build a structure with thick walls, and you will have to equip a vapor barrier. It is also worth noting that mineral wool has properties to settle and get wet at high humidity, and from this its insulating capacity is almost halved.