How to build dog house for winter
Dimensions of the dog house
- For small breeds such as dachshund, 700 mm long, 550 mm wide and 600 mm high;
- For medium-sized dogs similar to a German Shepherd, 1200 mm long, 750 mm wide and 800 mm high;
- For large animals, in which the height at the withers is approximately the same as that of Caucasians, 1400 mm long, 1000 mm wide and 950 mm high.
The size of the dog house can be adjusted depending on the actual size of the dog. So, his chest should freely pass into the opening of the structure. Therefore, it is necessary to add from 5 to 8 cm to its width. In this case, the best manhole height is equal to a value that is 5 cm less than the height of the dog at the withers. At the same time, the maximum vertical size of the booth and its depth should be 5-8 cm more than the height of the animal at the withers.
The size of the booth can be changed, but only upwards. It is especially important to follow this rule when the design is created for a puppy. When building a dog booth with your own hands, you should always remember the following points:
- Nothing should interfere with the dog in his housing so that he can freely lie down or become.
- The inlet must be comfortable. To do this, it can even be slightly increased in size.
- The building for the dog must be insulated so that the dog is warm in winter.
- The roof and walls of the structure must reliably protect the animal from different precipitation and wind.
- The booth must be built from environmentally friendly materials. It is best if it is made of wood, since wood is harmless to the health of the dog.
- The structure must be placed on the territory of the personal plot from the windless side. In this case, the dog must have maximum visibility.
- A good version of the booth is a structure, in the roof of which there is a small attic where you can store various things, including toys and dishes for the dog.
- Laz is recommended to be performed on a short wall. Thanks to this arrangement, it will be more convenient for the dog to climb into his home.
- Before creating a structure for a dog, you must carefully calculate the size of the booth. It is best to double-check the dimensions several times. This will allow you to build the perfect structure for the animal.
do-it-yourself dog booth. drawing
do-it-yourself dog booth. Video instruction
Drawing up a drawing of a booth
To make a booth correctly, you need to decide on its shape and size. Do not build too complex a structure: the presence of unnecessary partitions, ladders, ledges and similar elements will greatly interfere with the dog. The best option is a rectangular kennel with a side entrance and a pitched roof, where the pet can bask in the sun. It is advisable to make the roof or one of the walls removable, which will allow you to easily and quickly disinfect the booth.
The dimensions of the booth must correspond to a particular dog, therefore, when drawing up a sketch, it is imperative to take measurements: height at the withers, length from nose to tail, width of the chest and height of the dog.
Based on this, you can determine the parameters of the frame:
- the width and height of the booth is equal to the height of the dog 5 cm;
- the depth of the booth is 5 cm more than the length of the animal;
- the width of the hole corresponds to the width of the chest 5 cm;
- the height of the manhole is 5 cm more than the height of the dog at the withers.
To calculate the parameters of a kennel for a puppy, it is necessary to use data from specialized reference books. So, an approximate design drawing is drawn on paper, all the necessary measurements are transferred to it. It remains to decide on the materials for the booth. Most often, dog houses are made of wood; this material is the most environmentally friendly, easy to use, inexpensive. The use of conifers is especially recommended.
How to build a dog house for the winter
There are different opinions about warming a dog kennel for the winter. Some pet owners believe that only smooth-haired dogs need a warm booth. It is worth remembering that a harsh winter presupposes severe frosts and an animal, even with long hair, will be cold. Therefore, for the comfort of the pet, the booth is insulated.
The winter dog house is insulated inside and out. They insulate the floor, and use curtains for the manhole. To make the pet’s housing warmer, it is installed on logs. For internal insulation of walls and floors, felt or batting is used. For external insulation, foam is taken. The shutter for the manhole is made of dense and durable fabric or silicone.
Laz is the main source of cold air entering the dog’s house, it must be protected with a curtain.
If you decide to make a husky booth with your own hands, it is better to make it larger in size. The animal loves space and in winter it enjoys spending time in the snow; in a cramped kennel it will be too hot for it. The mat is not used on the floor or it is laid very thin. A not very dense fabric is hung on the manhole, which allows air to pass through well.
Also, like huskies, husky dogs prefer coolness. To make a husky booth with your own hands, drawings and dimensions can be used the same as for a husky. A straw bedding in a kennel is fine for this breed. Insulation for the booth is better to choose breathable air, pets of this breed do not tolerate stuffiness.
Malamutes also love fresh, cool air during the winter. The dimensions of the Malamute booth are the same as for the husky booths, and huskies, all three breeds belong to the middle group.
A booth for a thermophilic Labrador should be well insulated. The animal will also not refuse a warm litter. The size of the Labrador booth should be optimally selected. In a too large kennel, the dog will freeze, in a small kennel it will be cramped and uncomfortable. For thermophilic breeds such as Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians, Beagle and Drathhaar, the size of the booth is also very important.
DIY dog booth
You can build a comfortable kennel for a dog from simple materials in a matter of hours. It is very important to choose the right size of the dog’s home so that the home caretaker feels comfortable at any time of the year. In addition, a do-it-yourself dog booth can also become an additional decoration of the site, if you use the original design and decorate it correctly.
Do-it-yourself kennel from a bar (for Alabai)
After calculating the size of the booth, the following drawing was obtained, which shows the approximate dimensions of a dwelling for a large dog, for example, an alabai. In addition to the manhole, a viewing window can be provided in the design. It must be placed in the side wall.
Before starting the construction of a kennel from a bar, it is best to construct a platform from logs. They need to be cut off and put together into a single structure, which will then need to be painted. After that, the construction of the kennel itself begins. The construction process will be carried out quickly if the beams are prepared in advance. They need to be sawn off to size and planed from all sides.
According to the developed drawing, the first crown of the dog’s dwelling is placed whole. Further, the side walls are also made of whole beams. Where there is a manhole and a window, pieces of material are used.
After the erection of the load-bearing structures of the booth, the roof is constructed. It is best to make it a “house” so that a lot of snow does not accumulate on it, since a large area of a lean-to structure will contribute to this. In a home for a large dog, you need to provide a ceiling. It will make the kennel warmer. After its creation, the roof panels are assembled. In this case, the rafter system is not made if the structure plays a decorative role. Roofing material is laid on the created shields. It can be soft or metal tiles. It is best to use the material that was used in the construction of a residential building or a bath. After that, the shields are connected to each other using nails or self-tapping screws and the gables of the structure are mistaken.
At the final stage, the manufactured roof is fixed to the walls of the kennel. At the same time, it is not necessary to insulate the frame of the dog booth, since it is made of timber. This material itself is warm and has low thermal conductivity.
Do-it-yourself dog booth. Drawings and dimensions. Best Master Classes
The booth is ready, and now you need to choose a suitable place for it. It should be a dry, flat area, close to a residential building, closed from the wind. It is advisable to choose a well-lit place next to any shed or tree so that the animal can hide from the heat. Of course, the dog must have an excellent view from its place in order to notice strangers in time.
Electric heating of a dog house
Of course, insulating the doghouse for the winter is good. However, this may not always be enough. To heat the dog’s home when the outside temperature drops below 30 ° C, electric heaters will be required.
How to make a warm dog house with your own hands
Building a doghouse is easy. Most often, the owner knocks a box out of the board, cuts a hole, and the kennel is ready. For the summer period, of course, such a house will suit a four-legged friend, but in winter it will be cold in it. Today we will look at how to make a warm kennel for a dog, inside which the animal will not freeze even in severe frosts.
An excellent heated booth will turn out if an infrared film is laid in the walls under the inner lining. It is usually used when arranging an electric underfloor heating. With the onset of severe frosts, it is enough to supply electricity to the film heater, and it will heat the walls of the booth to 60 ° C. The dog will be comfortable in any frost, and the electricity consumption is minimal.
We draw up a drawing of a winter booth with a vestibule
The design of the kennel is simple, and you hardly need to draw up drawings for it. Just as an introduction, in the photo of the presented diagram, you can see an example of a kennel with two compartments and a folding roof.
If, nevertheless, you decide to build a doghouse according to the drawing, this is considered only a plus. The diagram will help you more accurately determine the size and shape of the house.
A few useful tips will help you design a drawing correctly:
- The inner space of the kennel should be enough for the dog for free deployment and comfortable sleep. It must be remembered that a young puppy will grow up over time, and he will need more space.
- For the construction of a warm kennel, it is better to take only boards. The wood retains heat well, is easy to process, and is also harmless to the dog.
- In the northern regions, it is still necessary to give preference to a booth with two compartments. During the design of the structure, double walls are provided, between which space is left for laying insulation.
- Alternatively, a warm dog house can be built inside the enclosure. Such decisions are resorted to by the owners who have acquired a large dog, which is not put on a chain.
- At the stage of drawing up the drawing for the booth, they are determined with the shape of the roof. For a large dog kennel, it is better to make a lean-to openable roof. In the summer, the dog will lie on it. The gable roof increases the space of the kennel, so it is preferable to build it on a small house.
Drawing up a drawing taking into account all the nuances, it will be possible to provide for all the little things, and the insulated dog booth will become a comfortable home.
Insulation of a doghouse
The question of how to insulate the dog booth should not be a problem, since any heat-insulating material will do. Usually mineral wool or foam pieces are used.
- The insulation of the dog booth must be taken seriously, and first of all, raise it from the ground. The kennel is turned upside down. The bottom boards were nailed from the inside, so a frame made of timber remained outside. A layer of roofing material is laid inside the frame. Insulation is placed on top of it, and then roofing material again. Now this whole layer is hammered with a board. To raise the insulated bottom from the ground to the bottom frame, legs are nailed from pieces of timber with a section of 100×100 mm. They can be made with a height of about 100 mm.
- A doghouse with a warmed bottom is placed on its legs, after which they proceed to the walls. In the photo you can see that the insulation is attached to the inside of the walls. After sheathing the frame with a board, bars remained inside the dog kennel, forming cells. This is where the insulation is put in in the same way as it was done on the bottom. Internal cladding can be made of plywood or OSB.
Now you can close the manhole with a curtain, put the roof on and paint the booth with dim oil paint or open it with varnish.
Calculation of the dimensions of the dog kennel
The photo shows an example of the dimensions of the booth and manhole for different breeds of dogs. When making a dog kennel, you can use the dimensions from the table, or perform your own calculations.
The height of the kennel is determined by the growth of the dog at the withers, and an additional 15 cm is added. The stock is needed for winter bedding, and suddenly the animal will grow up. The depth of the booth is equated to the length of the lying dog with its paws extended in front of it. Measurement is taken between the tips of the paws and tail, and 15 cm is added to the result.
The calculation of the width of the house depends on its design. If the booth consists of one compartment, then its width is calculated according to the same principle as the depth. The dog should be comfortable lying even across the kennel. In northern regions with long, harsh winters, it is wise to build a house with two compartments. The sleeping place is arranged in the second compartment from the manhole. Here the dog will sleep in winter. The dimensions of the sleeping compartment are calculated from the examples already given for determining the width and depth of the booth. The tambour is done in front of the sleeping compartment. Its size is selected arbitrarily according to the build of the dog. The animal must freely enter and leave the house.
It is important for the dog to properly organize the hole in the kennel. It is cut out in a rectangular or oval shape, calculated by the height of the withers of the animal, adding 10 cm.The width of the hole is made 8 cm more than the width of the dog’s chest.
Electric panels for booth heating
Panel heaters are well suited for heating a dog booth. The maximum heating temperature of the device is 50 o C. The dog will not burn itself on the panel walls, so it is not necessary to cover it with a wooden grate. Heater thickness is about 20 mm. The panels are produced in two sizes: 590×590 mm and 520×960 mm. Heaters work silently.
If a modern heated booth is too expensive for you, an alternative option is offered. A piece of asbestos-cement pipe is cut along the length of the doghouse. A lampshade is cut out of a tin can. The size of the jar is selected so that it freely goes inside the pipe. The tin lampshade is attached to a 40 W bulb holder. The finished heater is inserted inside the pipe, the wire is taken out of the booth, and connected to the network through the machine. The entire structure and cable must be protected so that the dog does not bite them.
The video tells about making a homemade heater for a dog:
Thermal insulation. warm bun for a dog
Dogs with thick coats can be kept outdoors all year round. These are Alabai, German or Swiss Shepherd, Laika, Husky and others. But despite the fact that animals have a high body temperature, and the skin is protected by a dense undercoat, it is advisable to warm the booth well.
Severe frosts can lead to hypothermia and even death of the animal. Hypothermia is especially dangerous for puppies. If the region has mild winters, protection should be provided in case of sudden cold weather.
Natural materials are used to insulate the booth. wood, hay, straw, felt, mineral wool. Dog breeders recommend laying pine or spruce shavings on the floor. the smell of the resin of these trees scares off fleas.
You can use polymer insulation. polystyrene or expanded polystyrene. They are effective even with a small layer thickness, they are not afraid of moisture. So that the dog does not gnaw them, you need to take measures. To do this, the thermal insulation is protected with some kind of sheathing that is resistant to dog teeth. plywood, OSB, board.
Fast heating is provided by panel or film heaters. They are mounted under the inner lining and connected to the nearest power source.
The hole in the kennel in severe frosts can be covered with a curtain. It will protect the house from the penetration of cold air, wind and snow.
For the construction of a house, you can use materials that are safe for dog health:
- moisture resistant plywood;
- OSB boards;
- sandwich panels.
The roof of the house is made of any roofing materials. The profiled sheet, metal tile, roofing material remaining from the construction of a house or gazebo are perfect. To periodically clean and handle the dog’s home, the cover is removable or hinged.
Some craftsmen build a structure from a rounded log. Outwardly, it looks like a real hut, only in miniature. Of course, this is not the most budget option, but next to the owners’ log cabin it looks quite organic.
House for the guard
Guard dogs. German or Caucasian Shepherd Dogs, Moscow Watchdog, Giant Schnauzer, Alabai and others. have medium or large sizes. They are active, in need of constant movement, so the booth for the animal, as a rule, is large and is built in conjunction with an aviary.
A house for guards is made according to the same algorithm as for ordinary dogs. The parameters of the kennel based on the characteristics of the constitution of the animal:
- height 90-120 cm;
- width 60-90;
- length 130-180 cm.
A hole of 40-50 cm by 50-60 cm is cut in the front wall. The roof structure is often lean-to, since guard dogs like to jump up and guard the territory entrusted to them from above. If you attach a ladder or slide to the house, you get a good simulator for active exercises.
The booth is installed in a protected place in the yard or in an aviary, but it can be part of the aviary itself and have common supports, flooring, walls with it. This is already a fairly solid structure, for the construction of which you will need serious skills and more diverse materials.
How to make a booth from timber, plywood or OSB
An easy way to make a house for a dog is to sheathe a wooden frame from a bar with plywood or OSB. These materials are inexpensive, environmentally friendly, and easy to process.
The timber must be well dried, since fresh wood dries out and warps a lot. Optimal section of lumber 40×50, 50×50 mm.
Moisture-resistant plywood is made of wood veneer impregnated with organic resins. It costs 1.3-2 times more than oriented strand board, which is produced from wood waste. The materials are very similar in properties, therefore, inexpensive OSB is often used for the construction of dog housing.
If desired, you can paint the walls of the finished booth with waterproof compounds, decorate them with any decorative materials. Protection from moisture and sun significantly prolongs the life of wood-based structures.
- bars 40×50 or 50×50 mm for the frame;
- plywood or OSB for cladding;
- flooring boards;
- wood screws, nails;
- roofing material. profiled sheet, flexible or metal tile (left over from the roof of a house or gazebo), roofing material, slate;
- insulation. 20 mm thick foam;
- jigsaw, hammer, electric screwdriver.
The first stage is the assembly of the frame. The cut bars are connected with self-tapping screws. You can immediately nail down the floor boards, which will give the structure initial stability and facilitate further work.
The second step is to cover the house with plywood or OSB. It is advisable to cut the hole for the dog in advance. Sand the edges of the materials so that there are no burrs.
The third stage is the construction of the roof. You can put the same plywood or OSB, but on top you will need mandatory protection from rain and snow with roofing material, for example, roofing material or soft tiles.
Outside finishing is chosen according to your taste: waterproof painting, clapboard cladding, blockhouse, PVC. If you put foam or other insulation between the plywood and the sheathing, you get an excellent warm house for your pet.
Another option for a simple and quick home for a dog is a booth from an obsolete barrel. Wooden, metal or plastic containers are suitable, except for the one where fuel oil, toxic or strong-smelling substances were stored.
The barrel must be placed on its side and supported on all sides on sturdy supports. A hole is cut in the cover (if available). Instead, a panel can be made of boards or thick plywood and fixed at the ends of the container. The inner space is insulated with any available material.
How to make a dog kennel for the winter
Construction begins with calculations. The dimensions of the winter booth should be optimal: in the spacious mansion, the dog will be cold.
The dog will warm itself with its own breath. Space is not needed here.
DIY Insulated Dog House Build
When building a warm booth, be guided by this table (sizes are given for an adult dog):
You can calculate a winter booth for a dog, taking into account which group it belongs to in terms of its dimensions (small, medium, large):
Internal dimensions for building a warm dog house with your own hands
Medium sized breeds (Rottweiler, Shar Pei, etc.)
A solid, practical kennel can be built from any materials at hand. In warehouses, when packing products or building materials, pallets are used, which are sometimes thrown away as unnecessary.
The shields are made of bars and planks, and they will come in handy for arranging a kennel. Before starting work, the pallets must be disassembled, the lumber must be sorted, and one pallet must be left for the bottom of the booth.
The frame is made of bars, sheathed with slats from the inside and outside. Insulation is placed between the layers.
The roof is single or gable. It is also desirable to insulate it. If necessary, hinges are screwed on. and a budget warm dog house is ready.
Drawings of a winter booth and a warm dog enclosure
Having decided on the dimensions, you need to draw a sketch of the booth, observing the following rules:
- the manhole should be made in the long part of the booth, and not in the center, but by shifting it to any side;
- a gable roof with an attic looks better, but dogs like to lie on the roof, so a pitched roof is preferable;
- insulated, but removable roof will allow you to regularly clean the room;
- in the winter enclosure for the dog, protection from the wind must be done;
- you need to install the dog enclosure on a dais, in a place from which the dog will have the maximum view of the site;
- the booth must be placed on a platform that excludes flooding with water.
- the floor of the insulated booth should not touch the ground;
- so that the wind does not blow into the booth, the entrance from the vestibule into a warm room should be done obliquely from the outside.
- insulation of walls, floor and ceiling must be done conscientiously, “like yourself”.
I have a frame with 100 mm foam without gaps, siding outside, 40 mm floorboard inside, roofing. soft tiles.
Here is a drawing of a classic winter booth, on the basis of which many projects of FORUMHOUSE participants have been implemented.
And these are the drawings of the insulated enclosure for the Alaskan Malamute puppy, built by our user with the nickname Sat-Electric.
The walls of the enclosure are sheathed and insulated in the place of the built-in booth
Drawings were made based on the size of the dog with a small margin for the internal partition.