Ignore the barking
The easiest way to wean a pet from barking is to ignore it when it speaks for no reason. Often, dog owners, unwittingly, encourage the animal to such behavior: in response to barking, they give him toys, treat him with something tasty, tease or soothe him. This cannot be done. The dog takes these signs of attention and is poured even more for the sake of approval or receiving a treat.
If you do not react to a barking dog, sooner or later it will become silent, realizing that barking does not lead to anything. An exception to this rule is a situation when a four-legged guard tries to warn of an impending danger in this way. In this case, you need to calmly approach the pet, make it clear that he has been heard, praise for his vigilance and command “Place” or “Sit”.
The most undesirable method of weaning a dog from barking is by cutting its vocal cords. In this case, the animal becomes practically dumb. This method is used by the owners of those dogs who no longer have the strength to fight the noise made by the pet, and the irritated neighbors began to threaten the court, demanding silence. This is an extreme and very undesirable measure.
Because of what the pet barks in the absence of the owner?
If the dog, when no one is at home, constantly barks, then it:
- She misses a lot. By giving a voice, the dog tries to draw attention to itself. Expecting that the owner is about to respond to his barking, he looks at the door or gate, if the animal is kept outside.
- Fears. Feeling in danger when the owner is absent, especially cowardly and insecure pets begin to bark loudly.
- Deters potential burglars. Staying alone at home, the dog takes responsibility for the safety of the home. To prevent uninvited guests from visiting the house in the absence of family members, the brave guard barks furiously. He can react to the slightest rustle coming from the front door. A dog living on the street barks loudly and sees off every passing car and children.
- Too horny. Excitement can be caused by the departure or return of household members, loud sounds unexpectedly welcomed by guests. Overexcitement and associated barking are characteristic of small breeds with an unstable psyche.
The reasons for the increased “talkativeness” of the puppy
Puppies and young dogs are still too emotional and playful. They express delight in the only way available to them. by barking barking and joyful wagging of their tail. In addition, barking for babies is a way of expressing longing for mom and fear of loneliness. Most often they voice their voices at night because everyone falls asleep and they are alone with their worries.
Reasons for loud behavior
Frequent barking does not mean that the dog is idle. Voice is the main way to express emotions. This is how animals express both negative and positive reactions to any event.
The main reasons why a dog barks over trifles:
- Excitement. the pet hears extraneous noises or finds itself in an unfamiliar situation.
- Fear. the animal is frightened by loud sounds, for example, fireworks and fireworks. We need to help him stop being afraid of external stimuli.
- Lack of communication. the pet is alone for a long time in a confined space. Animals, unlike humans, do not know how to entertain themselves on their own. By barking, they try to attract the attention of the owner.
- Play. dogs are quite emotional. Carried away by a fun game, they bark, expressing joy.
- Aggression. even the most well-mannered and calm dogs are periodically angry: at other four-legged animals that go beyond the boundaries of what is permitted, or at people encroaching on their territory.
- Jealousy. the pet may not like that the owner is stroking another animal. Then he barks loudly, showing displeasure.
To stop your dog from barking, you should identify the reasons for the unwanted behavior. Having eliminated the source of discomfort, you can start raising.
Long and monotonous barking for no apparent reason may indicate health or mental problems.
The loudest breeds
There is a definite relationship between the frequency of barking and the size of the dog. As a rule, representatives of large breeds do not bark over trifles. They are confident in their abilities and calmly react to external stimuli.
Small and decorative pets are shy, so they often give a voice. By showing aggression, they try to protect themselves from things that seem dangerous. These breeds include:
- Yorkshire Terrier;
- Toy Terrier;
- fox terrier;
- Cocker Spaniel;
- miniature schnauzer;
- dwarf poodle;
- dwarf pinscher;
- toy poodle;
Some large breeds are also characterized by increased “talkativeness”:
- German Shepherd;
- shorthaired pointer;
- Samoyed dog;
Congenital characteristics can be corrected by raising the dog from an early age. It is unlikely that she will grow up to be an absolute silent, but she will definitely not bark at everyone for no reason.
Why does the pet bark at night?
At night, the pet may give a voice due to:
- ailments. this is how he tries to draw the attention of the owners to his problem;
- loneliness and fear. the dog barks loudly to say how scared and lonely it is;
- lack of habit to adequately perceive extraneous noises.
What to do if you need to stop barking right now
When the child is sleeping and the courier is knocking on the door, there is no time to make corrections. The dog needs to be shut up right now. Here’s how to do it:
- Show your dog her favorite toy, but only let her take it when she stops barking.
- Take a treat in your hand and show it to your dog. As soon as the dog stops talking, treat it to him. The owner’s job is to help the dog understand that he is receiving a treat every time he keeps quiet. With each bark, pull your hand back a little, indicating that the condition for receiving a treat has not been met.
- Sit down in front of the dog and bring your hand to your face, pointing your index finger to the bridge of the nose.
The dog will follow the hand and look into your eyes, at this moment it will be easier to distract him from the door with a command, treat or toy.
Unusual and non-standard methods of calming a dog include:
- Special soothing music. There are special music compilations, developed taking into account the unique hearing of a dog, which literally have a calming effect on dogs. Basically, this is, of course, classics, or specially written music, suitable individually for each animal separately;
- Calming collars for dogs with pheromones, impregnated with calming herbs or solutions (Calming Collar, Good Behavior);
- Ultrasonic device that prevents barking. when she begins to bark, the device turns on ultrasound, literally confusing the pet and distracting from barking. The manufacturer claims that the sound emitted by the device does not harm the animal.
The dog barks, is aggressive. what to do?
It is sometimes difficult to calm down a barking dog even for the owner. It is necessary to understand why the dog suddenly broke apart, what is the reason? First, the cause that brought the animal into a state of excitement is eliminated. Then attempts are made to calm him down by going up to him and affectionately talking to the person he loves. All movements should be smooth, unsharp, the conversation is soft. You can pet the animal, pat the ear.
- You can toss in food sprinkled with Zylkene soothing powder (1 small pinch per serving)
- or spray the air around the animal with an effective soothing spray with Help Dog or Calm-Quil Soothing Spray (not on the face!).
Caution: spray preparations are not used for self-defense against aggressive dogs!
Do not shout or swing at the dog. you can get a completely opposite reaction, the dog can rush at the owner. In very rare cases, the help of tranquilizers may be needed, after which it will be necessary to systematically give the dog sedatives until the condition normalizes.
An overactive dog cannot be calmed down with medications; it is enough to give it a physical activity suitable for this particular individual. The animal should get tired equal to its own life energy generated.
Puppy in the house. how to calm a dog down at night in a new house?
Changing home for a puppy is always stressful. The kid can be bored, he can be scared. The first days in a new house may be poor appetite, passivity. These days it is enough to spend more time with the puppy, pay as much attention as possible to him, not leave for a long time.
Decrease Barking and Howling from Your Dog with Relaxing, Calming Dog Music.
In order for the puppy to sleep at night, not to whine, it is necessary to feed him no later than 3 hours before bedtime, equip a cozy place to sleep and leave the night light on for the first time so that the puppy understands where he is and is not afraid. If the baby is a dwarf breed and implies close contact with the owners, you can not restrict him from people and sleep in the same room or even in bed (at the discretion of the owners).
Giving sedatives to puppies is not recommended. At a young age, they can have the opposite result. But in severe cases of addiction, you can use:
- Adaptil is a modern spray that plugs into an outlet and sprays a special scent to soothe the puppy in a new place.
If the dog needs to be taken to the veterinary clinic?
Before visiting a veterinarian, it is not advisable to take any sedatives. the clinical picture of the disease may be distorted, and an error will occur with the diagnosis. An exception may be visits with preventive examinations and vaccinations. you can give pills, herbal decoctions / tinctures / teas, but not tranquilizers. Something soothing can be sprayed in the car if transported by your own vehicle.
At the time of admission to the clinic, the owner should be close to the pet, hold it, talk, calm down and not be nervous himself. Dogs are very sensitive to adrenaline and other stress hormones produced in human blood, so they get nervous and fidget with the owner.
How to calm a dog: collar, music, on a trip, in a car, at night, in front of a veterinarian
An attentive owner will always notice the unusual behavior of his pet. The state of stress or overexcitement is manifested by unusual gestures, actions, when, looking at the dog, the thought arises that literally something is wrong with it. The state is explained by the fact that at such moments the animal’s emotions go off scale so much that it cannot control itself.
Calming the dog on the road
Dogs tolerate trips much easier than cats, so she usually does not need to be reassured in the car. In most cases, they do not need any special help, but especially vulnerable animals are prepared in advance for transportation over long distances, at least 1-2 days in advance.
- Stop stress: 2 drops / kg by mouth immediately on the tongue or with a little water;
- Fitex (do not give Greyhounds due to individual sensitivity to the components of the drug): 1 drop / kg three times a day or an hour or two before a trip or visiting an exhibition;
- Vetspokoin: sedative with a pronounced antiemetic effect, given orally in pure form using a syringe dispenser at the rate of 0.2 ml / kg of body weight;
- Bayun Cat: Despite the name, the drug is great for dogs. Dose. three times a day, 1 tsp. inside for 5-7 days or if necessary;
- Dbd Relax Plus: herbal sedative, 1 tab. / 10 kg inside;
- Sanal Relax: 2-3 tab. three times a day, depending on weight (up to 10 kg and more);
- Fospasim: 10-40 drops, based on the size of the animal and the situation;
- Nutri-Vet Pet Ease: 1 tablet for every 5 kg twice a day in a course or 1-2 days before a potential stressful situation;
- Jerob B-Calm Dietary Supplement. herbal tincture, dosage. for every 4.5 kg of weight, 1 teaspoon with a little water once a day.
The listed drugs can be used in any stressful situation, including exhibitions, as well as courses for lingering depressive conditions in a pet. It is not recommended to additionally calm the dog before visiting the veterinarian. “medicinal” STIHL can distort the clinical picture of the disease.
- The scent of lavender works well for dogs. You can moderately flavor the car where transportation is planned with this oil.
- Help dog. use a ready-made oil-based sedative.
- Calming collar for dogs. works well in these situations and it.
If light sedatives do not work, and she categorically refuses to go in the car, breaks loose, whines and in every possible way shows her dissatisfaction with this process, then you can resort to more serious medications. tranquilizers. In such cases, the animal will be transported practically under anesthesia or under narcotic sleep.
- Xylazine: 0.05-0.1 ml / kg;
- Vetranquil: 0.15-0.2 ml / 10 kg, not for old animals, weakened and with heart pathologies;
- Nalbuphine: 0.2-0.5 ml / animal, the exact dose is calculated by the veterinarian;
- Relanium: 0.3-0.5 ml, depending on the size;
- Butorphanol: maximum 0.5 ml.
Please note that dosage calculation and administration are the responsibility of the veterinarian! Self-administration of these drugs is highly discouraged, and overdose is strictly prohibited.!
When transporting a dog under tranquilizers, you need to monitor the position in which the animal will sleep in the vehicle, so that nothing interferes with its free breathing. It is recommended to cover it with something. some tranquilizers lower body temperature and increase the risk of hypothermia and colds.
Stress or overexcitement in dogs is manifested by:
How to calm an agitated dog during a thunderstorm?
Dogs are often afraid of thunderstorms. This is manifested by whining, howling, passivity, attempts to hide somewhere in a far dark corner. Sometimes it is enough for a pet to make it clear a couple of times that a thunderstorm is not dangerous, so that in the future this natural phenomenon does not give him discomfort.
If she lives on the street in a booth, at the time of a thunderstorm she must be unleashed, if there is such an opportunity, so that she herself finds a place where she will not be afraid. You can run into the corridor, for example, if it is a private house, and there is such an opportunity. This is usually enough for the animal to be unafraid.
If the dog is domestic, at the time of flashes and loud noises you need to be near, talk to it, stroke it, make it clear that nothing threatens it. In some cases, you can give the opportunity to hide or run into a deaf room where there are no windows (for example, a bathroom or a pantry, but without closing the doors).
- Cat Bayun, Vetspokoin or Stop-Stress. as a sedative, you can give such veterinary drugs, as in dosages, as during transportation.
- Fospasim. proved to be excellent in fear of loud sounds
- Adaptil. automatic spray.
If there are no such funds at hand, you can give your four-legged friend a motherwort broth (a tablespoon of dry motherwort is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused in a closed container for 20 minutes) from ½ to 2 tablespoons, diluted with water, depending on its weight. In the form of a pharmacy tincture, give no more than 15 drops with water 1-3 times a day.
Hyperactivity in a dog. possible causes
A dog’s overactivity can be the result of various factors. In this case, it is important to correctly assess his behavior. Perhaps it is due to character or not long enough walks.
While some dogs seem to be just made to lie on the couch with the owner, others cannot sit still for even a minute, Jack Russell is one of them. They need constant movement. Situations when he runs, barks, throws toys around the house, pulls the leash strongly during a walk, and sometimes even destroys accessible objects are among the main signs of hyperactivity.
This is also a good method that is equally useful for both the dog and its owner. For example, running your dog will bring you many joyful moments. However, this is not the only opportunity to play sports with your pet. Trekking, obstacle course or agility exercises are gaining in popularity.
For Jack Russell, as a representative of hunting dogs, the Fishing Rod game will be very interesting. It is simple and does not require any special preparations. Just tie a rope with a toy to a fishing rod or long stick, which will attract attention, encourage you to set off in pursuit. Keep the toy within reach, provoke Russell, give him the opportunity to catch the “prey”. This is where the hunting instincts come into play. Accompany the game with the “Hold” and “Catch” commands. After the prey is caught, practice the command “give”.
Do not take away the toy (ball, rope, stick) by force, you can damage not only the teeth, but injure the gums.
Dogs are very fond of frisbees. They gladly rush after the disc in order to catch it while still in flight. But keep in mind that ordinary plastic discs are not suitable for dogs, they can hurt or hurt. Use special. rubber.
You can’t do without, of course, beloved by everyone, both puppies and adult dogs, balls. Catching it, bringing it to its owner is the “main” duty of any dog.
We have given only some of the available options for active games with your four-legged friend.
At first glance, nutrition is difficult to relate to pet behavior. But the connection is obvious here. Improper diet, food rich in protein, gives the dog too much energy that he has nowhere to use.
Increased activity in a dog can also be a side effect of certain medications as well as stress.
When giving medications to an animal, it is important to carefully read their instructions, especially the section on side effects.
When it comes to stress, the root cause can be different. The most common are:
- travel, moving to a new place of residence;
- visiting a veterinarian, groomer;
- the emergence of new animals;
- “Scary” toy (most often puppies are frightened by self-propelled ones);
- new people, noisy guests in the house;
- sounds of firecrackers or fireworks;
- aggression from other animals, etc.
When stressed, a dog can become lethargic or aggressive. For example, spinning in one place for a long time in pursuit of your tail, gnawing furniture, barking a lot for no reason, swinging on the floor, on the grass.
Calming Your Dog, Causes of Hyperactivity and Behavior Control Tips
Dogs, like humans, have different characters. some are calm, others are spontaneous, requiring a lot of attention, constant communication with people. It may happen that this spontaneity turns into anxiety or hyperactivity. Many dog owners, especially such a “perpetual motion machine” as Jack Russell, are interested in the question: how to calm the dog. An extremely active animal can be a big problem, but you shouldn’t give up. To solve them, you need to be patient, show perseverance, the main thing is to do it with great love.
If a dog’s super activity appears as a result of accumulating too much energy, then, first of all, it is necessary to increase its consumption. The best option would be regular, fairly long walks.
Remember that walking slowly around or near your home to get your dog to go to the bathroom is not a walk.
A dog, in addition to satisfying physiological needs, must meet with other representatives of its species, discover new places, sniff and examine everything that seems interesting to it. For these activities, she spends energy, the feeling of fatigue comes faster. After returning home, her first desire will be sleep and relaxation, not pranks.
Relax for the dog
If an animal has hyperactivity as a result of stress, then massage will help very well in this case. The touch of a beloved host helps to relax and relieve tension.
It is worth starting with the ears and crown, and then running your hands along the spine to the tail. Movements should be gentle, circular, pleasant for the dog. Stroking and massage will allow the dog not only to relax perfectly, but also to build a strong bond between the animal and the guardian.
When the dog barks or whines
The dog does not bark or whine for no reason, so in order to correct the animal’s behavior, you need to find this reason. Crying is often triggered by fear, think about what the pet is afraid of:
- For example, you can calm your pet during the fireworks by simply picking it up and stroking it. Loud sounds won’t last long, you just need to wait them out.
- The problem often occurs during a thunderstorm. The dog can be closed in a dark and quiet room, for example, in the bathroom, while putting a bed, water, toy there. Sometimes the presence of the owner nearby helps.
- Some pets are afraid of the dark, you can calm the dog at night with the help of a small night light, a cozy place (you can use half-closed houses).
Barking a pet can show the same fear or aggression. If the animal “raises its voice” at you, it means that it considers itself a higher rank, this is unacceptable. The dog must know who is the master. In other cases, barking is always caused by a situation: the arrival of a stranger in the house, a cyclist, a cat. Constant training will help to wean from such manifestations of emotions.
On the way
Many animals are terribly afraid of cars and vehicles in general. They whine, shake, bark. If the road to the veterinary clinic lasts 20-30 minutes, this time can be endured, then what to do to calm the dog in the car on a long journey.
- Provide a comfortable environment for the animal. The pet should not be stuffy or cold. Sometimes he needs to go outside to go to the toilet, to warm up. On the road, you must definitely offer your pet water.
- Do not feed the dog a couple of hours before the trip, especially if it has been seasick before.
- You can use a soothing collar with pheromones available from veterinary pharmacies. For example, the firm “Adaptil” offers similar tools.
- On a trip for more than a day, take with you something that reminds of home, a bedding or a favorite toy.
What is a soothing diffuser for dogs?
Soothing diffuser for dogs. This is a special electronic device that sprays a pheromone to calm the dog. Works like a fumigator or air freshener.
How to calm your dog?
When an animal is worried, the owner must help him. The most effective way to deal with severe fear is to get rid of the irritant, but this is not always possible. You may have a long drive ahead of you or fireworks will go off on New Years. It is impossible to foresee everything, and nervousness is not always the result of only fear. How to act in different situations?
When she gets mad
Owners of puppies and hyperactive, playful dogs often wonder how to calm their dog down when it freaks out and bites. The “Fu” command often does not work in this case. Experienced dog breeders offer:
When choosing a way to deal with this type of rabies, think about its cause. Childhood, playfulness, lack of mobility or attention from the owner, possibly jealousy (towards another pet or child). This will make it easier to find a way to calm the dog down.
How to tell if your dog is agitated?
An attentive owner immediately notices changes in the behavior of his dog. However, the response to different stimuli is different. Also, behavior is influenced by heredity, gender, upbringing, breed characteristics.
- constantly barks or whines;
- the hair on the withers stands on end;
- tucking ears and tail;
- has dilated pupils.
Techniques to help calm an overexcited dog
Many dogs are quite emotional, sometimes too much. How to calm down a dog when it is furious, at night, on the road? How do you know if your pet is scared or uncomfortable? Is it worth it to scold?
What are the causes of anxiety? Is it possible to relieve arousal with behavior correction or should sedatives be used?
Manifestation of fear
When the dog is scared, he barks at any object that crosses his safety zone. With a loud sound, he wants to scare away the enemy. But when this does not take effect, then a panic attack may begin. The barking in this case is usually very loud and disappointing. The most common reaction is that even if the dog runs away, it barks again from a distance. She can also chase a retreating object, but almost immediately returns to safety.
If this happens at home, then the owner must give the command “Quiet” in a clear and calm tone. When the dog barks while walking, you should respond with a quick but light pull on the leash or yell to distract him.
If he stops making noise and looks at you, then be sure to reward for the correct behavior.
Protection of the territory
In this case, the dog barks at anyone who violates its territory. Any attempt by strangers to get into the yard, house or get too close to the place where she is resting can cause such a reaction. Barks are low, short, intermittent, and often accompanied by growls.
An animal that defends itself or its environment may attack if not responded to its warning.
During your absence, as well as at night, a dog locked at home or in its enclosure will not be responsible for guarding the yard and should sleep most of the time.
There are dogs that require a lot of attention. Anyone who notices them becomes “their”, it does not have to be the owner. Such a sociable dog loves to be in the company of people and in every way tries to be noticed. That is why, when she is left alone or when people are not up to her, she will do everything to become the “center of the universe” again.
Barking of this type, as a rule, is sonorous, high, intermittent. the animal listens if someone is approaching and waits for a person’s reaction. Instead of barking, the dog can, for example, chew on furniture or destroy various objects. This behavior can be prevented if you provide him with enough active walking before leaving the dog alone at home. Running next to a bike or taking a long walk is the best option.
Do not play with your puppy before leaving alone, because this will make him feel even more suddenly abandoned.
An important rule of good parenting: do not pay attention to the dog if it actively pursues it. Do this only when the dog’s behavior is correct.
Why does the dog bark
The tendency to bark is determined genetically and by environmental influences. Such a habit may appear as a consequence of certain events. For example, a dog reflexively barked once at the sight of a suddenly appeared person and noticed that he stopped or jumped back. Now the dog knows that loud barking can stop or force the suspect to retreat. Another example. a pet noticed that thanks to barking, the owner pays attention to him, strokes or talks to him. Of course, now, when he wants to attract the attention of the owner to himself, he will bark.
How To Stop Dog Barking. 5 Proven Techniques To Stop Dog Barking
To correctly diagnose the problem, you need to find out the circumstances that cause the dog to bark.
Observe the behavior of the animal carefully and give answers to simple questions about the appearance of barking:
- When this happens. at night, when he is alone, during a thunderstorm or other sudden loud noises?
- Where. on the street, while walking, in the car, at home?
- When barking began. from puppyhood, after moving, after returning from vacation?
- Whether the barking is related to the presence or absence of a person?
- The dog responds by barking, looking at something specific. a person, a thing, an animal? Irrelevant?
Important information is also how the owner reacts to barking and how the animal behaves after this. All dogs are very different and not only externally, but also in character and temperament. Here it is difficult to bring their behavior to common stereotypes. But in order to keep the situation with the noisy behavior of the dog under control, you need to know the most common reasons for barking. These include:
- Attracting attention: “Can anyone take care of me?”
- Fight for territory: “Run, this is my place!”
- Boredom: “I have nothing to do. Bark or “sing”!
- Feeling of fear: “I am afraid. Please step as far away as possible!
- Manifestation of Joy: “Do I need a reason? I’m just having a great time! “
- Longing: “Don’t leave me, come back soon!”
Each of the listed situations of why a dog barks presents a separate problem and barking sounds different. But it is possible that the origins lie somewhere deeper, causing increasing stress, which manifests itself in behavior that correspond to some of these situations.
Why does a dog bark, types and reasons for barking, advice to owners
Why the dog barks. this question is of interest to almost all dog lovers. Barking for a dog is one of the ways to express your emotions. This may be accompanied by: whining, howling, or growling. However, when barking is too frequent, too loud, or at the wrong time, it becomes a problem, if not for the dog, then for the people with whom it lives.
When a dog has a lot of energy and enthusiasm, for example, like Jack Russell, it is difficult for him to keep emotions under control. Jumping, running, wagging its tail, or circling around the owner is not enough to show a good mood.
Jack Russell is easy to get excited about, especially when it comes to running, fast moving objects. He is interested in things that most of his kind ignore. Often these types of dogs react noisily to any, even very quiet, sound from the environment. Especially if it can be associated with good fun.
For such pets, the best activity would be a long, monotonous walk or running after a bike, so that the animal is tired, but at the same time it is silent. Playing with other dogs or the owner only turns them on even more. The energetic Russell will never have enough of her.
The dog is bored
A bored dog can be compared to a boiling kettle: when the pressure is too high, it starts to whistle. So the dog, which has nowhere to spend its energy, begins to bark, gnaw objects, scratch or do something else that will bring him relaxation.
Barking in this case, as a rule, is monotonous, sometimes it is interrupted by a howl. The way out of the situation is to find something to do with the animal, tire him out for a walk and leave the dog toys, and teethers for the puppies.
Barking from loneliness stress is fundamentally different from attention-grabbing barking. This problem concerns pets that are too attached to one person. Since they are very dependent on their master, the presence of other people does not bring much relief. Barking can be accompanied by running in a circle, spoiling objects, excessive drooling, convulsions and howling in the direction of the place where the dog last saw his loved one.
This behavior is most often the result of improper upbringing during the period of socialization of the animal. The dog has not learned to be independent.
She becomes restless, does not feel safe if the owner is not around. This problem can be solved by developing behavioral therapy for the dog in the form of various exercises that increase his self-confidence.
Each of the situations discussed illustrates a different personality type in a dog, so this must always be taken into account when solving a problem. Of course, consultations with a dog handler or a behaviorist will be helpful. They will help you determine exactly why the dog is barking, will tell you how to cope with it. The owner may not always correctly interpret the behavior of his pet. He is emotionally connected with him and cannot be objective. Often, a few visits to a specialist are enough for the owner to look at his dog in a completely different way and learn how to properly handle it.
Why Jack Russell howls and how to wean him from it you will learn from the video.
Breed Jack Russell Terrier description, characteristics
How to choose the right Jack Russell Terrier puppy
Jack Russell Terrier vaccinations by age, vaccination calendar
Jack Russell Terrier: the secrets of proper nutrition
When Jack Russell’s teeth change, how to stop a puppy from biting
The dog barks constantly
The frequent and annoying barking of a dog is one of the most frequent reasons why owners seek advice from a zoopsychologist. Whining, howling in different intonations, barking for any reason. these and other sounds can be made by an animal, causing a lot of inconvenience to those who are with her.
It so happens that this vocalization becomes so unbearable that it is simply unbearable to be with a four-legged friend. Before taking measures to combat this pathological condition, you should figure out why the dog barks.
In general, dog barking is a natural behavioral response to external stimuli that has been enhanced by artificial selection.
The severity of a dog’s barking is highly breed dependent.
- Terriers bark in higher tones and begin barking at the first stimulus.
- Hounds bark on any of the most trifling reasons and easily join the barking and howling of other individuals.
- Service breeds are prone to warning barking in situations of alarm and threat, but among them there is a certain percentage of the so-called hollow.
- Dogs of decorative breeds have perfectly mastered imitation and imitate the conversational signals of their owners, skillfully manipulating their skill to meet their own needs.
For most dogs prone to excessive barking, otherwise, abnormal behavior is not noticed. they only respond to environmental stimuli and give warning signals. Nevertheless, a properly raised dog should not constantly bark either in the absence of the owners, or in their presence, or should immediately stop barking after it is questioned about it, but in reality such pets are not often found.
Let’s talk about the reasons
There are several situations in which a dog’s barking can be considered pathological.
Separation anxiety is the leading cause of excessive barking in dogs. In such a disorder, dogs have an uncontrollable ritualized barking, the pitch of which indicates the degree of the animal’s upset. In everyday life, a dog suffering from separation anxiety not only barks alone at home, but also exhibits destructive activities (digging, self-injury, damage to things, uncleanliness) strictly in the absence of owners. To solve this problem, you need a whole range of measures aimed at modifying the dog’s behavior, developing obedience, and a relaxation program for the animal. The use of medications can bring tangible benefits, but only in combination with the above measures. But the use of electric collars in this case is not justified, since when using them, the animal experiences pain, which increases the level of anxiety and, in turn, leads to increased vocalization.
The second most common problem, due to which the dog barks loudly and obsessively, is attracting attention. The animal seeks to draw the owner’s attention to itself with the help of demanding barking, whining, or it can talk with the owner, imitating and imitating human speech. In this case, vocalization can be accompanied by active actions. biting, the dog can scratch the floor, jump on a person, scratch, lean against, push, touch with his paw. That is, the dog seeks to attract the owner’s attention in any way. Even if these actions cause a cry from the owner, repulsion of the dog, an unpleasant physical impact, from the point of view of the animal. the goal is achieved, attention is attracted. What if the dog is constantly barking for this reason? To correct this condition, the owner requires great restraint and consistency in their actions. The main provisions that the owner must adhere to are not to react to any dog’s harassment, walk away, moving away from it, and leave alone, defiantly ignore, avoid eye contact, until the undesirable behavior is completely stopped. The dog must also understand that it can count on the attention of its owner only in the case of complete calmness and absolute obedience.
Another common variant of loud barking is when owners complain that their dog reacts violently to a stranger approaching the front door or to the presence of other dogs on the street. Such pets are characterized by increased excitability, a high level of anxiety and a labile nervous system. The nature of their barking, depending on the nervous state, changes. from warning, relatively normal in frequency and height, to monotonous, more persistent and ritualized. Such a change in behavior occurs very quickly and it is very, very difficult to calm and stop a dog barking loudly and annoyingly. In this case, the owner needs to intervene as soon as the dog barks. by distraction to the game, or by including elements of obedience.
Also, ordinary boredom should be mentioned as the reason for excessive vocalization. This condition is typical for dogs in an emotionally impoverished environment. animals that live in nursery conditions, or are all their time in a small closed area (aviary, small area), which do not receive sufficient exercise and communicate little with the owners. In this case, if the dog is constantly barking, then it receives emotional relief and a kind of reinforcement. And such a vicious circle is very difficult to break. The complex of measures to solve this problem should include a change in the external environment, a revision of the diet towards a low-protein diet, an increase in physical activity, the development of obedience with an emphasis on static exercises, the use of citronella collars is possible. In extreme cases, drug therapy. One of the options for solving this problem is the acquisition of a second dog, subject to all the above basic recommendations, otherwise there is a possibility of a twofold increase in vocalization.
I would like to say that although owners always want to solve the problem of constant barking of a dog quickly, there are few opportunities for this. The secret of success lies in correctly diagnosing the causes and in drawing up a plan for individual correction of unwanted behavior. Specialists of the Network of Veterinary Centers “MEDVET” are ready to help all owners to cope with this problem.
The article was prepared by doctors of the therapeutic department “MEDVET” © 2014 SVC “MEDVET”
How to calm a dog down when he is pissed off
When a puppy or adult dog starts to “freak out”, most owners yell at him to stop making noise. Shouting in this case is an empty exercise. The ugly person calms down for a moment, and then continues to frolic with a vengeance. A loud shout can scare you for a while, but it won’t calm you down.
You cannot punish a mischievous person in these moments. If the dog does not behave the way we want, we need not stop him, but switch his attention to something else.
A Few Tips
You can calm the raging robber by addressing him in a whisper. A sharp change in the timbre of the voice will certainly interest him.
You can leave the room, leaving the robber alone. Usually this method works well, as the absence of “spectators” reduces interest in further provocative actions.
To reassure your dog if it freaks out with fright, try to identify the cause of its behavior. For example, it could be a trip to a vaccination at a veterinary clinic. In this case, it is best to prepare in advance. Any drug with a sedative effect can be given.
How to identify anxious behavior
Body language tells a lot. But it’s not easy to interpret. The response to the same stimulus can be different for each animal. Here роль
- features of the breed;
- conditions of detention;
General signs of fear can be seen. These include:
- dilated pupils;
- nervous barking or howling;
- ears are flattened or laid back;
- the hair on the withers stands on end;
- small tremors;
- paws start to sweat;
- the tail is tucked in;
- loss of bowel or bladder control;
- quiet whine, etc.
The reason for the fear is almost always obvious. The dog can be frightened of people, thunder, unfamiliar place, strong smells.
What should be done in such cases? Try to eliminate the irritant or show that as the leader of the pack, you are not afraid of anything. Some dog handlers advise to mask the sounds of thunder with music, take the dog away from the “scary” person, and cover him with a blanket. This tactic can lead to the fact that your pet will be afraid of everything in the world, trying to hide under the sofa away from all the troubles.
It is best to train your dog to adequately perceive the world around him, as well as behave with dignity in any situation. Developing this behavior will take months of hard training.
Reasons for Barking Dogs
Here are some of the main reasons a pet barks desperately:
- Joyful emotions. They arise during the game or when the owner returns home after a long absence;
- Fear. This feeling can arise for a variety of reasons. Some pets cannot stand being alone when left alone in a closed apartment;
- Anxiety and alertness. Dogs are hunters and guards, designed to respond to every rustle. Those tetrapods that have not passed the appropriate training will constantly bark at every “suspicious” noise;
- Longing and boredom. An animal cannot be entertained alone, except perhaps by gutting a pillow or chewing on a chair leg. When it gets boring, you have to entertain yourself with barking.
There may be other reasons, as well as situations in which you have to calm down a dog hoarse from barking.
What to do
The main way to get rid of barking barking on every occasion is training. You need to let the dog know that there is another way to express his feelings. You can’t shout at her or punish her. As soon as a puppy appears in the family, it is important to constantly engage in raising it. What you need to accustom to ׃
- wean you from expressing too violent joy at your appearance;
- do not respond to a call or knock on the door;
- be calm about the sounds at the entrance;
- look down on cats;
- do not bully other dogs;
- do not scare passers-by and strangers.
If you work hard, you can train your dog to voice only in all cases.
Some dog handlers advise patting their tailed friend on the ears. If you lightly massage his auricle with your thumb and forefinger, the barking will immediately stop. However, this will only help if the dog is not in an angry state. In this case, it is better to give the command “to me” in a stern voice and try to take him away from the irritant.
What not to do
You cannot shout the command “Silence!” or “Fu” to stop barking. It won’t get you anywhere. On the contrary, such actions can further provoke your pet. He will see that he is finally being paid attention to. And this for him is more valuable than the fact that he will be scolded.
Do not hit the animal or wear a shock collar on it. This can lead to negative results. the dog will turn into an aggressive neurasthenic who will hate even the owner.
You cannot praise, pet the animal, saying “well done” if it barkingly tries to protect you from strangers. So you can teach him to throw himself at all strangers.
Top Ways To Calm A Scared Dog On Your Own
How to calm your dog down if he is very nervous, afraid, or behaving aggressively? The most effective way for her to behave with restraint, not to show anxiety, to stop being overly excitable is through painstaking training. The owner should always pay attention to her behavior in order to draw conclusions, try to understand the reasons for the fear or aggression.