These cats are considered excellent companions. They are very cute, can perfectly coexist with other animals, and also love to play with small children. They love to lie in the arms of their owners and even take a nap there. Persian cats purr loudly, love to play with a bow or run after a clockwork mouse.
Their appearance is a bit like a soft toy. There are three types of Persian cats. Some of them have the most common nose and belong to classic cats. However, now they practically do not participate in breeding. Today, preference is given to cats that have the following standards: a short nose, a large head with small ears and large round eyes. The eyes can be orange, yellow. In addition, blue eyes are allowed.
Different breed standards
Breed standards include a number of characteristics that set one animal breed apart from others. They are compiled by specialists who are members of felinological organizations. However, they all refer to different systems that have their own standards. In addition, not all of them recognize this or that breed.
For example, if in one club a cat is considered “unworthy” of documents and purebred status, then in another she will receive a pedigree and will be able to give good offspring.
In the CIS countries, the main organizations are:
- CFA is the International Feline Association, a member of the World Felinology Congress;
- WCF is also considered Worldwide and accommodates up to several thousand different clubs.
Several breeds of cats have been identified through a series of tests. The most common of these are the following animals.
Determine by photo
In addition, you can determine the breed of a cat or cat from a photo.
- If the photo is digital, then you can try using such a function as “search by picture”. If it was posted by the owner in a personal album, then you can contact him directly and find out the answers to all your questions.
- In addition, you can very carefully study the photo and determine the breed by its external characteristics.
- Take a photo and go to the pedigree cat show. There you can just take a closer look at the appearance of animals, and consult with breeders who can answer your questions.
Bombay cat breed
Animals are distinguished by restraint and even tolerance. They are friendly and like to be in the same room with their owners. Even if breeders have absolutely no time to play with their pets, they can just lie down next to each other.
They do not spoil the kids in the family too much, however, they do not offend them either. Bombays are very affectionate and non-aggressive. Can find common language with other pets in the house, even with small dogs.
Such cats are not afraid of changes, they easily get used to new places.
There are American and British Bombay cats. In both breeds, the body structure is quite graceful. They are medium in size and have bright orange or golden eyes by standards. Their tail is very thin and straight. The coat is rather short, and the undercoat is practically absent. However, their main feature is their color. They are completely black, from the very nose to the pads on the very tips of the paws.
Cats are playful and curious. They can watch the subject of interest for hours. Abyssinians are “taciturn”, so they meow only in the most exceptional cases. However, if this happens, then the meow is loud enough.
If we talk about breed standards, then the head of such animals has a wedge-shaped shape, and the body is fairly proportional. The eyes of the Abyssinians have a border, their color can be of any green shade. The coat is short and close to the body, and the tips are almost always darker in color.
Double or triple ticking must be present. The wild color is considered standard. In addition, blue, silver and tortoiseshell colors are possible.
How to find out the breed when buying a kitten?
When buying a cat or choosing a mating partner for it, there is only one way to determine the breed of the animal. to look at the documents. If they are not, then it is best to abandon your decision. After all, there are breeders who allow mating of purebred and simple animals. Then they are passed off as the “elite”.
And similar external signs will not be considered an argument in favor of purebred cats.
You can determine their breed by the following documents.
- Pedigree, which must be issued by the club where the animal belongs. It must be certified with a wet seal. The document must contain the name of the organization, as well as the name of the head of this club. Such documents are issued when purchasing adults.
- Small kittens must have a litter certificate, especially if their registration was carried out in an American club. For those animals that have appeared in the European club, the usual individual metric is sufficient.
A veterinary passport cannot serve as proof of the breed of an animal, since all data is recorded in it only from the words of the owner. For more confidence, you can contact a felinologist who can more accurately determine the signs of a particular breed.
An ordinary veterinarian will not be able to do this, since training in felinology is not included in the course of their curriculum.
Such cats are distinguished by great curiosity, as well as mischief. They like to play a lot and climb into the most inaccessible places. Sometimes they can open cabinet doors on their own. They love people with similar characters. The breed, as a rule, is of natural origin, however, experts allow crossbreeding with other breeds of cats.
These animals are distinguished by curly hair, long legs and an equally long tail. Their ears are set low, the muzzle has a slightly elongated shape. The chest is sufficiently developed and wide.
How to identify types of persian cat/kitten |how to find your cat breed|persiancat breed information
These cats have great calmness, but they are very willful. They absolutely do not like to be stroked or taken in their arms. But at the same time, they like to sit a little near the owner, watching his every move. They are at any time ready to help him if necessary. It is at such moments that an animal resembling a teddy bear can turn into a real beast.
Their bodies are quite compact and powerful. The tail is a little like a carrot: thickened from above, and slightly narrowed downwards. The muzzle of such cats is plump, has slightly rounded cheeks. The coat is very short and thick, and even after petting the cat, the coat will not fit snugly to the body.
Their color can be smoky, monochromatic, white, but chocolate or lavender is not perceived by breeders as natural. Such cats are not recognized as purebred.
How to determine the breed of a cat?
If you become the owner of a kitten or an adult cat without documents, but her color or shape of ears, muzzle seems noble to you, and you assume that she had pedigree parents, then you can learn how to determine the breed of a cat due to certain characteristics. In addition, if the signs of your cat’s nobility are pronounced, you can accurately name her breed. However, here you need to remember that without the pedigree, which is issued by the club, your cat will still be a purebred animal, which entails the impossibility of its participation in exhibitions, and it will not be able to be a producer of purebred kittens.
To determine the breed of a cat, you may need an atlas and characteristics of cat breeds. If you go to online consultations, then most likely you will need a clear photo of the cat itself, its ears, muzzle, paws and tail.
Instructions for determining the breed of a cat
Note that the features of the color, as well as the character of the cat must also comply with all the standards that are inherent in a particular breed (Cat Breeds).
We also advise you to take your time with the definition of the breed. If you took a small kitten or picked it up on the street, then we advise you not to rush to determine the breed. In this case, the point will be that the features of the kitten’s color may change over time. That is, the characteristics of cat breeds are manifested, as a rule, only in adults. For example, white cats in childhood have dark spots on their heads, but over time they disappear.
Online guide to famous cat breeds
With the help of such a small guide, we will help you to facilitate the task of how to find out what breed of cat. Even if your cat’s characteristics are not very pronounced, you can still check what breed your cat will roughly resemble. It should be noted that such a qualifier will work better already for adult animals, as well as for kittens that are older than six months. We list some of the characteristics of the most famous breeds, starting with the most general and ending with the most accurate for certain breeds:
Severe deformities in the structure of the paws, tail and ears are characteristic for:
- In case the cat’s ears are bent forward: Scottish Fold, Highland Fold or Long-haired Scottish Fold.
- Ears bent back: American curl.
- If the cat does not have a tail, then it can be: American, Kurilian, Japanese bobtail, pixie bob or toy bob, manx, cimrick.
- If there is no wool at all, it is: Canadian, Petersburg or Don Sphynx, Minsk Sphynx, Ukrainian Levkoy.
- If the coat is curly and short, then this is a Cornish Rex or Devon Rex, German Rex.
- If the coat is long, then this is a Bohemian Rex, Selkirk Rex, La Perm.
- If the coat is very long and straight, then this is a Persian cat.
- If the coat is coarse curly, then it is an American wire-haired.
How to Tell the BREED of Your CAT
- The so-called characteristic “Siamese” color: dark muzzle, legs and tail. these are Siamese, Balinese, Neva Masquerade, Thai (old-type Siamese), Himalayan.
- “Siamese” color with a characteristic white color of the legs: Burmese, Snow-shu or Ragdoll.
- Smooth gray or “blue” coat color: British Shorthair, Russian Blue, Korat, Chartreuse or Nibelung.
- “Sand” coat color: Abyssinian cat or Somali.
- “Wild” coat color, such as spots or stripes: Bengal, Kurilian Bobtail, Siberian, Serengeti, Egyptian Mau, Savannah or Safari.
- The brown color of the cat’s coat will indicate: tiffany-chantilly or havana brown.
Is it possible to determine the breed of a kitten, cat or cat from a photo, how to distinguish a purebred animal from an ordinary one: 5 criteria
Cats picked up on the street are considered mongrels. However, a street cat can be purebred. You can determine the breed of the cat yourself. You just need to know by what characteristics the pedigree of these animals is determined. Each cat breed is characterized by certain characteristics, in particular, height and weight, body structure, color, shape and shade of eyes, coat length or lack thereof.
Now let’s talk about how to determine the breed of a cat at home by the type of its coat. Among fluffy pets there are long-haired, curly-haired purrs, short-haired and hairless cats.
Very long, beautiful and fluffy coat can have:
- Himalayan cats. A combination of Persian and Siamese cats. From the first they took the physique and the long soft coat. From the second. an unusual color.
- Napoleon. In addition to the usual physique, it also has a long hair and a small fluffy tail.
- Norwegian forestry. Coming to us from a northern country, such a cat has a beautiful collar of long hair and fluffy paws that resemble pants.
- Turkish Angora. Unusual cat with a snow-white color and long hair.
- Persian cat. A friendly, thick and fluffy coat who will happily let you brush yourself.
- Burmese cat. The silky coat of the fluffy pet does not form tangles and is easy to comb.
- Maine Coon. Has a slightly harsh long coat and a fluffy tail.
Among the representatives with curly hair, several breeds can be distinguished:
- Rex (Silkirk or Bohemian). Noble cat with Czech origin and curly hair.
- La perm. At first glance, it looks like an ordinary yard cat (in color). The only thing that makes him stand out is his not long, but strongly curly coat and a cute piercing look.
Cats with short and curly hair look very funny and unusual. In fact, there are not so many such breeds: Devonshire Rex, German Rex, Cornish Rex, American Wire-haired.
How to determine the breed of a kitten without hair? Most likely she belongs to one of the most common breeds: Don Sphynx, Peterbald, Ukrainian Levkoy, Bambino or Canadian Sphynx.
Can a street kitten be purebred??
Finding a kitten on the street and sheltering him in your home is a noble act. The owners of the former four-legged street children may not be aware that they have warmed a thoroughbred creature, because it is difficult to imagine that someone could get rid of a pet of noble blood so cruelly. Nevertheless, even a representative of a rare breed may appear on the street. The animal can get lost while walking with the owner or jump out of the window and, frightened, run away from home.
How to recognize the breed of a cat: features of pedigree kittens
Before determining the breed of a cat at home, you should be patient, since the distinctive features are not pronounced. Initially, you should pay attention to the phenotype, namely the appearance of the kitten (coat length, color, body constitution). For example, Russian blue and British kittens have the same coat color, but differ in constitution. In the former, the body is more elongated and graceful, while in the latter it is massive and stocky.
What else to look for when examining a fluffy pet and how to determine the breed of a kitten? All distinctive features should be considered in order.
Well, we figured out how to recognize the breed of your cat by the shape of the ears, head, physique and type of coat. The color of your purr is also an important factor.
Considering the color of a cat, you should pay attention not only to the coloring itself, but also to the degree of a particular shade, as well as various patterns on the coat. If we talk about Siamese breeds, then they are distinguished by a dark color on the face, tips of the legs and tail. But the rest of the body has a light ash shade.
Noble smoky colors with hints of blue or silver are a sign of none other than British and Scottish, as well as Russian blues.
Bengal cats are distinguished by a brighter and more unusual coat color. The Burmese cat has a remarkable color on its paws, which seem to be wearing gloves. The Himalayan cat is distinguished by a dark shade of paws and a light body (which is a bit like Siamese cats).
Height and weight
By these parameters, you can also distinguish representatives of some cat breeds from others. If the cats are large and heavy, this may be:
- American or Kurilian bobtail;
- Turkish van;
- Norwegian forest, Cartesian, Siberian, British cats;
- Maine Coon;
If your pet is too small compared to a normal cat, it may be one of the following small breeds:
Pros and cons of thoroughbred pets
The noble felines have their pros and cons. The first are:
Maine Coon kitten
- The opportunity to find out about the characteristics of the character and health of the future four-legged family member before buying. To do this, it is enough to observe the parents of the animal you like for a while. Deviations, including mental ones, are inherited.
- Education. A thoroughbred pet, gets into the house already accustomed to the tray and scratching post.
- Availability of vaccinations. Cats are vaccinated in catteries.
- The possibility of breeding and participation in exhibitions.
- Prestigious and noble origins.
Among the disadvantages of noble cats are:
- High price. The cost of such animals depends on the breed, pedigree and belonging to the breeding class.
- Hereditary diseases.
- High risk of transmitting breed-specific diseases to offspring.
- The need for constant careful care.
- Expensive content. Especially expensive for pet owners who take part in exhibitions.
- Possibility of purchasing only grown kittens. Babies are given to future owners after they are 2 months old.
- Special conditions of the contract. Some of them prescribe the need for compulsory participation in exhibitions or castration.