How to choose a harness for a dog?
The correct harness for a dog is a lot like the harness worn on harnessed horses. This design allows you to use all the draft force of the animal, which makes it an indispensable element of dog sleds. For their manufacture, natural leather or stitched strips of fabric are used. It is very important that the owner knows how to choose a harness for dogs, the accessory must ideally fit in size, match the breed and physical capabilities of your pet. In this article we will tell you how to choose the right harness for your dog, what varieties exist and how they can be used.
What to consider when choosing
Harnesses can be used for various purposes: for regular walks, sports activities or office work. In winter, they can also be used in a traditional way. to harness a dog in a harness and transport goods with it. Such events can be turned into an interesting game. a pet rolling a child on a sleigh will receive the necessary physical activity and give the family a lot of positive emotions. To know how to choose the right harness for a dog, be guided by the following indicators:
- Material. Manufacturers use materials that are durable, soft and resistant to wear. At the same time, not all companies are responsible for their work. Keep in mind that a lot of dirt will appear during walks, so the harness should be easy to wash. It is best to make your choice with a minimum amount of knowledge about all the varieties available. For dogs of miniature breeds, light woven products are suitable, while for a wolfhound, a heavy leather harness will be the best solution;
- Clasps. Before choosing a harness for your dog, make sure it is easy enough to put on and take off. Several fasteners will increase its tear resistance and make it more comfortable for the pet. you can easily adjust its size so that the dog does not feel discomfort;
- Body fit. Ideally, the straps are attached to the body tightly so that they do not budge as you move. At the same time, the accessory should not hamper the pet’s movements, excessive tension will make it difficult to walk, run, and can provoke inflammation and hair loss in the contact area;
- Correspondence of sizes. Knowing how the harness should sit on the dog, you can make the right choice. First of all, you need to take into account that its upper part must fully correspond to the width of the back (the measurement is carried out with a centimeter along the body, taking into account thick wool).
The main requirement for the product is convenience for daily use, but the owner should take into account that it should not be used daily. The harness is seen as a tool for training and special exercises for the physical preparation of the pet, but too frequent use can harm the coat. After a walk or completing the required task, it is better to take it off, leaving the dog in the harness at home unattended is unacceptable, this can lead to undesirable consequences.
Dog Harness Size Chart
How to measure a dog for a harness
- Back length. Measured from base of withers to base of tail;
- Neck circumference. It is measured at the place where the collar usually sits. at the bottom of the neck. The anterior point is on the keel (the bone protruding forward under the dog’s neck), the posterior point is on the edge of the shoulder blades closest to the head;
- Chest circumference. The harness is worn over the entire front of the body, so before choosing a harness for a dog, set the dimensions of the zone behind the front paws at the widest point. To the resulting value, add 0.5-2 cm (depending on the size of the dog.
For representatives of medium and large breeds, ammunition made of woven braid or leather would be a good choice. The product must be equipped with steel carabiners and solid rings. This requirement is also true for dogs of small service or hunting breeds. miniature schnauzers, dachshunds, and others. For representatives of decorative breeds, appearance and comfort are more important, so nylon or velor models will be the best choice here.
How to put a harness on a dog, step by step guide
An owner who has only recently acquired a pet may face its categorical rejection. He will resist in every possible way, trying to free himself from the tight harness. This is completely natural, because the dog cannot immediately appreciate all its benefits. But if you do the right thing, then over time he will rejoice at one kind of harness in your hands, because for him it will become a symbol of a walk and a fun pastime.
Not knowing how to put a harness on a dog, you can waste a lot of time, some owners, after several unsuccessful attempts, generally consider it as a useless accessory, losing all the advantages that it can give. To put it on quickly, use the following guide:
- If the pet is naughty and refuses to obey, secure it between the legs in the back area.
- Before putting the harness on your dog for the first time, distract him with a favorite treat or toy. If already at this stage you cannot achieve the required results, then carry out several exercises for endurance;
- Put on the ring-shaped part of the closed-type harness around the chest in front of the legs, its dimensions may vary depending on the design of the accessory;
- Next, position the strap along the top of the case to the desired position, thereby limiting the space between the bridge and the closed circle. The right paw is threaded into the area between the closed circle and the strap;
- The jumper passes through the surface of the chest, a strap is put on the right side, after which the loose part must be passed through the armpit of the left paw. Then it remains only to fasten all the belts.
Varieties of harnesses
- Walking. The fastening ring on them is fixed at the withers. They are well suited for daily walks, which is especially convenient with small pets. Larger items are equipped with additional belts;
- Towing. Their purpose is sports competitions. Such harnesses are worn on hyperactive dogs, prone to non-stop forward movement. With their help, the muscles of the chest are trained for German shepherds and other breeds. The most durable belts are used for them;
- With loads. If your dog requires increased physical activity, use a weighted harness. Some models are complemented by weights sewn into the inside, while others have s with metal bars, with which the weight can be adjusted. Their use is advisable to strengthen muscle mass after fractures.
Progressive dog handlers never wear a harness for every walk and activity. The load must be uniform and appropriate. It is most convenient to train your pet at a very early age, along with the collar, in which case you will need a miniature harness designed specifically for puppies. Dressing it on the baby already at this stage, you can accustom him to the idea that the harness and other types of uniforms are primarily associated with walks and fun pastime.
How to determine the size of clothing for a dog? Correspondence tables
Here’s how to find the right dog clothes sizes for your pet. What measurements need to be taken, how to calculate the size of the jumpsuit, collar and shoes from their results. If the suit is small or large, the dog will refuse to wear it.
Clothing size charts
The manufacturer of each type of clothing indicates its parameters. Average indicative data shows tables designed for pets of large, medium or small breeds. There is a separate table for dogs with an irregular body shape.
Table for determining the size of clothing for pugs, as well as pets of large and medium breeds:
|A0||350||550||Scottish Terrier, West Highland White Terrier|
|A1||300||500||French bulldogs, pugs|
|A2||350||550||American and English Cocker Spaniels, Beagles, Fox Terriers, Miniature Schnauzers, Shelties, Medium Spitz, Chinese Crested|
|B1||400||700||Bull Terriers, Staffordshire, Wheaten, Kerry Blue Terriers, Collie, Shar Pei|
|C1||550||750||Labradors, huskies, dobermans, golden retrievers, boxers, akita|
|D1||700||950||Rottweilers, Great Danes, Boxers, St. Bernards,|
|D2||750||1000||Dobermans, Cane Corso, Bullmastiff Black Terriers, Great Dane|
But how to choose the appropriate sizes of overalls if one of the two parameters. the length of the body or the girth of the chest. do not coincide with the data in the table? For example, with a length of 300 and a girth of 550 mm, choose the size not A1, but A2, otherwise the clothes will be tight.
Clothing size chart for small dogs:
|8||210||270||Toy terrier, york, chihuahua, maltese|
|ten||240||320||York, Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Maltese|
|10Chh||240||340||Chihuahua, Papillon, Pomeranian,|
|12||270||360||York, Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Papillon,|
|12Chh||270||380||Chihuahua, toy poodle, papillon, pomeranian,|
|14||300||400||Chihuahua, Miniature Poodle, Lesser Brabancon, Pomeranian, Brussels Griffin,|
|16||330||440||Small Spitz, Brussels Griffin, Miniature Poodle, Miniature Pincer, Brabancon, Chinese Crested|
|eighteen||360||480||Spitz, miniature schnauzer, chinese crested, fox terrier|
|20||390||520||Spitz, miniature schnauzer, chinese crested cocker spaniel, fox terrier|
|22||420||560||Chinese crested, cocker spaniel, miniature schnauzer, basenji, fox terrier|
Clothing size chart for welsh corgi and dachshunds
To choose the right clothes for your pet, you need to determine what it is for. In most cases, you choose clothes for your pet to look attractive when paired with it. But don’t harm the dog.
Most buyers of dog clothes believe that in this way they protect their pet from dirt, dust, precipitation. Pay attention to the length of the coat, do not buy a suit with insulation, so that overheating does not develop, which is more dangerous than hypothermia.
Jumpsuits look good on small dogs. A problem arises with large breeds. Back length and chest width do not match the tabular data. In such a situation, I recommend purchasing a jacket or sweatshirt. The products do not have pants. This means there are restrictions on the length. The main thing is that the girth of the chest comes up.
If you use the table for choosing the size of clothes, be guided not by the breed, but by the real length of the body and the girth of the chest.
An alternative sizing chart provides for the use of the following symbols:
How to Measure a Dog for a Harness. Tutorial and Tips
- X (extra). very;
- S (short). small;
- M (medium). medium;
- L (large). large.
XS is very small, XL is very large, XXL is too large. Such a table does not take into account the breed characteristics, but it makes it easier to choose clothes not only by measurements, but also by the weight of the pet.
Universal Dog Size Chart:
Shoe Size Chart
If the attitude to pet clothes is ambiguous, the more questions arise, why do we need shoes? What is it? Glamorous entertainment of flighty owners? Protecting pampered pets from dirt and cold weather? Nature has provided dog paws with adaptations to withstand adverse environmental conditions. Only man changed the environment itself. In winter, city streets are treated with deicing reagents. chemically aggressive substances that corrode the skin of dog paws. Shoes will protect your pet from cuts and bumps in good weather.
The second reason “for” is the unwillingness to drag dirt into the apartment. The owners have a choice: to wash their paws after each walk in a basin, purchase a paw wash or train the pet to shoes.
As for humans, boots and socks are provided for dogs. The latter are necessary to protect dog paws from slippery floors and floors, as well as upholstered furniture from paws and sharp claws. In addition, socks are an intermediate stage in getting used to shoes or boots.
How to measure a dog in order to find the right footwear? It is necessary to measure the size of the limbs. To do this, place the pet’s paw on a blank sheet of paper, outline the perimeter of the limbs, as shown in the figure:
There is another way: measure the paw with a tailor’s centimeter in weight. At the same time, you need to take into account the length of the claws and add 0.5 cm to the result.But I recommend the option with an outline on paper, as it is more accurate and reliable.
Based on the results of measurements, purchase shoes according to the indicators in the table:
How to measure a dog and determine the correct size
To determine your clothing size, take the following measurements:
- Back length. Place the dog on a level surface and make sure it is standing with all 4 paws. Take a tailor’s tape, measure the distance as shown in the picture. For convenience, put on the collar and measure the distance between the end of the collar and the base of the tail. Check the data with the indicators of the table, which will be mentioned below. If the table includes indicators of 30 and 35, and your result is 31, focus on 35.
- Determine the chest circumference by stretching the tape under the front legs as shown in the figure.
When choosing clothes, you will have to consider both indicators. But what if one of them fits, and the second shows a deviation? Focus on the indicator that is higher. If the discrepancy is too large, consult with the seller, he will help you choose the right style.
How to determine the desired size of clothing according to the table.
Collar size chart
For the correct selection of collar sizes, measure the circumference of the neck with two fingers with a tailor’s tape. Since there are additional holes on the collar tape, add 5-7 cm to the result obtained.It is important that the accessory is not too short, does not constrain breathing.
The size chart for dog collars is the same as for socks.
Hope this article was helpful to you. I will answer questions in the comments.
What material is better to purchase a harness
In addition to the scope of use, you also need to pay attention to the material from which the device is made. This is especially important when choosing a harness for dogs of decent sizes.
The most practical are straps made of synthetic materials. They are not susceptible to moisture, are easily cleaned of dirt by regular washing, are highly durable and quite durable.
Harnesses made of tarpaulin tape are considered the most inexpensive among budget options. This material has high strength, but its wear rate is higher. In addition, tarpaulin harnesses are difficult to wash, the material tends to get wet and at the same time dries for a long time.
If you look at the appearance, then definitely the most beautiful are genuine leather harnesses. But it should be borne in mind that after getting wet, the skin loses its elasticity and can lose its shape, stretching. After drying, it, in most cases, becomes rough and its surface can crack. Leather harnesses are undoubtedly beautiful, but they are expensive and impractical at the same time.
Types of harnesses for dogs
A harness is a special ammunition, like a leash with a collar. However, it has some advantages. If the dog pulls forward, the collar can cause physical harm to the pet, which cannot happen with the harness. And it is much easier to control a wayward animal with a harness. But here, too, everything is not so simple and it is far from always possible to use this device.
Harnesses are divided into types, depending on their area of use:
- A regular harness for walking. In this design, the retaining ring is at the level of the dog’s withers. Most often, such harnesses are used for everyday walks with a four-legged friend. On sale you can find accessories for both very small pets and fairly large representatives of breeds.
- Towing harness. This ammunition has slightly different purposes. for sports competitions, sledding races, transportation of goods, and also as a device for guide dogs. Among its differences from conventional harnesses, the main thing can be noted. the increased strength of the fasteners and the belts themselves.
- Harness with a load. It is used to train the muscles of the animal, it has the ability to regulate the weight of the load. When wearing it, the muscle mass of the dog is strengthened, this is especially necessary in case of fractures of the pet’s limbs, as well as for preparing the dog for competition.
It is important to know that many experts do not recommend the constant wearing of a harness; it is necessary to periodically change it to a regular collar. over, studies have shown that in dogs that always wear only a collar, problems of the neck and spinal cord are often diagnosed. This trend is especially evident in active, restless dogs, which often break off the leashes, and pets, which are displayed on a spiked collar or in the form of a chain.
When choosing a harness, you should always be guided by the size of your pet. For puppies, it is recommended to purchase special devices, in no case for growth. A harness for large dogs should be selected appropriately.
Harness for dogs
The harness for dogs is by no means a tribute to fashion, but a serious device, originally invented as a harness for dogs. Its design feature was that it did not cause discomfort to the animal performing its professional duties: it did not disturb the breathing processes and evenly distributed the load. Modern harnesses have changed somewhat in appearance and began to be used not only for driving, but also for other needs. It is worth considering their properties and features in more detail.
How to choose the right harness
To facilitate the task, there are special tables indicating dimensions. To use them, you need to know some of the dog’s measurements:
- Back length. measured from the withers to the base of the tail.
- Chest circumference. the correct measurement is made in the place immediately behind the elbows, 1 cm is added to the obtained size for small dogs, and 2 cm for large dogs.
- Neck circumference. covers the place where the collar is supposed to be.
For sled dog harnesses, measurements are taken somewhat differently, this is due to the design feature:
- Distance from the beginning of the sternum to the withers.
- Chest length.
- The length of the segment from the end of the sternum to the base of the tail.
If the accessory is selected correctly, then it will not dangle, but it will also not be able to squeeze the pet’s body. A human palm should fit under the harness.
When does it become necessary to wear a harness?
In addition to the specific need associated with the activity of the pet, there are additional situations that require wearing a harness. For example, if the dog is too active, it constantly tries to get off the leash, thereby causing injury to itself. In this case, in order not to worsen the condition of the dog and not to cause additional attacks of aggression associated with pain, you can switch from the collar to the harness for a while.
How to Measure a Dog for a Harness: Get a Proper Fit!
In addition, for some breeds that have a larger neck than the head, a collar is not a good option. Since when the head is tilted, it slides off the dog. For dwarf dogs, such as the Toy Terrier or Yorkshire Terrier, it is also more practical to use harnesses.
Dogs that naturally have a shortened, flattened muzzle (Pikines, Petit-Brabancons, Pugs, Bulldogs, Japanese Chins, etc.) have problems with the respiratory system, and collars can cause discomfort. And in this case, the situation can be corrected by using a harness, which will allow them to breathe more freely.
At what age can a dog wear a harness?
You can put on a pet of small breeds in a harness starting from six months, and for dogs of larger breeds. from 8-10 months. Experts have found that too early getting used to such ammunition can provoke deformation of the front limbs outward.
The rapid development of such a pathology is facilitated by improper attachment of the harness. this happens if the belt that wraps around the pet’s body passes too close to the muscle cavity. This position makes the dog uncomfortable, and he tries to twist his elbows to ease the discomfort. After two or three weeks of wearing a harness like this, the correct positioning of the paws will deteriorate. If an individual is a representative of a show class, with such a defect, exhibitions will have to be forgotten.
How to put on a pet harness
Already when trying on, you should know how to properly put on a harness on a dog. You can follow the step-by-step instructions:
- If the dog has a violent character, then before the procedure it is necessary to fix it. This can be done by clamping the body of the animal in the back area between your legs.
- The harness must be straightened so that the soft surface is inside the structure.
- The ring-shaped closed part of the harness is carefully put on the pet (its parameters vary depending on the size of the dog).
- The harness strap is positioned to the desired position. If everything is done correctly, then there is a restriction of the space between the lintel and the circular part.
- Without stopping the action, it is necessary to stick the dog’s paw into the space between the strap and the closed circle.
- The jumper should slide through the pet’s chest without any problems, and the harness strap will be on the right side.
- If all the dressing rules are followed, then one side of the structure will be free. It is necessary to push it through the muscle cavity of the left paw of the dog, and then the strap is fastened.
The last step is to adjust the harness. To do this, the dog is placed on the floor, the circle on the neck is adjusted in such a way that the straps do not put pressure on the neck, but at the same time they lie tightly. After the entire procedure, it is necessary to check whether all mechanisms are fastened.
Of course, putting on a harness for the first time may seem difficult and time-consuming. However, as practice shows, a couple of putting on and everything will return to normal, the pet will get used to it, and the owner of the dog will gain experience and a certain skill in this matter.
What to use. a harness or a collar, the pet owner decides on his own, but it is important to think, first of all, about the convenience and safety of the pet.
Harness with weights (cargo)
This specific variety is used to develop the muscular system and strengthen the musculoskeletal system of the animal. The model has separate s where loads are placed.
Wearing such equipment leads to training and strengthening of the dog’s muscles, to the formation of beautiful and powerful muscles, a classic stance, which is especially necessary when preparing a pet for a competition.
It is very important that the front strap is not in the neck area. The front part of the harness should correspond to the anatomical structure of the dog’s chest and have a Y-shape. This shape, when the leash is pulled, does not exert pressure on the animal’s neck.
The upper part should be in the shape of the letter H: it does not allow the harness to rise on the neck when the leash is pulled, and at the same time, it provides freedom of movement. The straps should be connected at the point where the shoulder blades meet and the beginning of the sternum. The back strap must have a secure fit.
Why do you need harnesses?
The harnesses were originally used in dog sleds and are still in use today. The design of this harness allows dogs to feel comfortable while running: the harness distributes the load equally and does not interfere with the dog’s breathing. Since then, the harnesses have undergone some changes not only in appearance, but also in purpose, and now they are used for other purposes.
The advantage of a harness over a collar is undeniable. Pulling on the leash causes the collar to press on the neck, which can lead to poor blood flow or injury to the lymph nodes. In addition, strict collars and strangleholds can cause great damage to the cervical vertebrae and muscles, and even cause throat pinching.
Experts have also found that the consequences of constant sharp pulls on the leash during walks can be various diseases of the back, neck and throat. All this can be avoided by using a harness.
The harness in the classic version consists of 2 belts, connected and fixed at 4 points, which encircle the chest (between the front legs) and part of the dorsal region. The leash is not attached to the neck, like a collar, but to the withers. This design allows the dog to breathe and move freely.
The harness, evenly distributing tension on the dog’s body, provides no pressure on the animal’s neck, creates freedom and comfort of movement. In addition, it is easier for the owner to lead the dog.
This special harness not only allows you to keep the dog under control while walking, but also helps to develop physical endurance and strength. A harness is also necessary if a dog cannot wear a collar. So pugs, whose neck has a larger volume than the head, cannot wear a collar, since it jumps off the neck.
Dogs with a specific flattened face often suffer from breathing problems. This applies to Pekingese, Japanese Chin and other breeds. Wearing a collar will only make the problem worse. Harness is the best way out.
It is also necessary to use this equipment if the pet is very active and constantly breaks off the leash during a walk, which can also lead to injury.
The purpose of the harness can be different: for walking, for transporting goods, for racing in a harness, for training the muscles of a dog. According to this, there are different types of harnesses.
First of all, the purpose of their use influences the species diversity of shleiks. By appointment, they come in the following options.
These types of equipment can have two purposes, one of which is to correct the behavior of the animal. This model safely controls the behavior of such a dog, which has a habit of pulling on the leash tightly. In it, the fastening ring for the leash is located on the chest. This leads to the fact that with strong tension on the leash, the pet by inertia turns 180 degrees to face the owner.
Another purpose of corrective models is to be used to correct the figure and correct development of the spine.
It is important that such harnesses exactly correspond to the dimensions of the dog and sit tightly on it.
What to look for when choosing?
To choose the right equipment, certain nuances must be taken into account.
The harness must fully match the dimensions of the pet. If the model sits too tightly on the animal, then when it is moved, it will rub the skin, and bald spots on the coat may form. If the harness is too big for the dog and sits very spaciously, then the necessary and reliable fixation of the pet will not be provided.
Dog size and weight
They also affect the choice of this equipment. For dogs of large breeds or with a restive disposition, you need to choose the most durable harnesses with reliable fasteners: carabiners and fasteners made of steel, and the rings are welded.
The purpose of use should also be taken into account: the choice of one or another type of harness depends on it.