Features of feeding depending on age
From birth to one month old, puppies’ nutrition is completely dependent on the mother. During this period, the bitch should receive enhanced nutrition so that her milk is nutritious. By the 4th week, the ears and eyes of the puppies open, the sense of smell and taste is exacerbated. Babies begin to be interested in the smell of food, and the breeder, encouraging this curiosity, introduces complementary foods into the diet of puppies.
At 2 months, the puppies’ menu consists of 30% breast milk and 70% adult food. Depending on the type of content (preferred by the breeder), babies receive:
- Soaked dry puppy food or canned food.
- Minced meat, milk, fermented baked milk, kefir, egg yolk, vegetables.
At 3 months old or a little earlier, the puppy moves to a new home and starts getting vaccinated. At this age, the baby is protected by the residual immunity of the mother and the body needs enhanced nutrition. By the age of 4 months, the patient’s teeth will begin to change, which will lead to a sharp increase in the need for trace elements.
The feeding schedule is compiled individually, the standard scheme looks like this:
- 3-4 months: 5-6 meals a day.
- 4-6 months: 4-5 feedings per day.
- 6-8 months: 3-4 meals per day.
- 8 months and older: 2-3 meals per day.
For newbie owners, here are some helpful tips on feeding “tails”:
Each age implies a different caloric value of the daily food intake, and the smaller the puppy, the more nutritious his diet should be. If possible, try to feed the dog 2 times a day for up to a year, this will maintain a normal stomach volume and avoid overeating in the future.
The opinions of the majority of successful owners confirm that feeding the Sharpei with natural food is more preferable. The nutrition of a dog prone to severe allergic reactions should be strictly controlled, and the composition of industrial food does not always correspond to the annotation on the package. In addition, there is a risk of buying fake products, which is guaranteed to lead to health problems that will be discovered after the fact.
- Meat and offal (at least 30%). beef, turkey, rabbit. Be careful with liver and chicken meat, especially raw.
- Oceanic boiled fish, if the dog is not allergic.
- Dairy products and whole milk, unless lactose intolerance is observed.
- Eggs. if the dog is not allergic.
- Barley, rice, buckwheat, oat groats, pearl barley with excess weight, with underweight. wheat.
- Vegetables and fruits.
- Oils and Vitamin Supplements.
- It is advisable to add bone meal, nutritional yeast and fish oil to the porridge.
Natural feeding means preparing food specifically for the dog. The pet should not be fed with table leftovers or only raw foods. A natural diet does not save money and time! Some owners do not physically have time to cook for pets every day (or every other day) and only for this reason they transfer the dog to an industrial diet. There is an alternative. cooking semi-finished products at home.
Allocating 1-2 days a month, you can prepare and freeze the mixture of minced meat and vegetables. Using semi-finished products, it will be easier to cook porridge, and in extreme cases, the preparation can be thawed and fed to the dog. Some owners prefer to cook stew from meat, offal, vegetables and cereals. In fact, such a product can be called home-made canned food. There is only one minus. you will have to allocate time for cooking and rolling porridge into jars, but you can stock up on ready-made and healthy food for 2-3 months in advance.
With a lack of free time, the owners transfer the dogs to industrial food. If the dog is healthy and does not suffer from allergies, it is recommended to mix pellets and semi-moist food (from the same manufacturer and brand). Feeding exclusively on canned food leads to rapid tooth decay and tartar formation. “Drying” cleans plaque from the teeth, but if the enamel is weak it leads to its abrasion.
A healthy pet can be kept on premium products, the economy line is not suitable for feeding Sharpei. When choosing food, pay attention to the composition and vitamin content. Not all products (even of well-known brands) contain a full range of vitamins and minerals. It is worth paying attention to the manufacturer’s data, if the supplier’s country differs from the manufacturer’s country (for example, the trademark is registered in the USA, and the feed is produced in Poland), the feed is manufactured under license and may be inferior to the original in quality.
Severe allergies may not leave the owner a choice. The dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food for life. Before making such a decision, we recommend that you make sure that:
- The dog has a food allergy, since the reaction can be explained by external factors. dust, pollen, a plastic bowl, synthetic bedding.
- Make sure the air in the house is not dry and the dog is drinking enough water, as hair loss, watery eyes and nasal discharge can be explained by dehydration.
- The dog has no digestive problems. after treatment with antibiotics, illness, stress and other unfavorable factors, the intestinal microflora may die. Symptoms are similar to allergic ones, but the condition is relieved by taking dairy products.
Dry food for Sharpei must comply with strict standards, no matter how colorful the packaging and convincing advertising may be, it must be remembered that even reputable manufacturers “sin”:
- An abundant mass fraction of herbal ingredients in the feed. Usually, there is a vague wording in the composition, for example, herbal supplements. If there is no further specifics, we are talking about beans and corn. cheap and useless products.
- The package must contain information that the meat or fish has passed the veterinary inspection in a particular service. If these data are not available, the feed may contain a useless or even harmful cocktail of carrion, bones, wool and animal fat.
- Any ingredients whose names are unfamiliar to you are food additives and flavor enhancers.
- Salts, dyes, preservatives. increase shelf life, make food more attractive in appearance, but do not have any benefit!
Good dry food does not exude a strong odor, does not cause hysterical appetite in the dog, has a uniform, light brown color. Some high quality feeds have a slight sheen, which indicates a higher fat content. In this case, the composition should clearly reflect which oils and fats are used in the manufacture of the product.
Hypoallergenic food cannot belong to the economy or premium line, since this product class is a priori not cheap. Some manufacturers have hypoallergenic food in their super-premium lines, but most in the holistic class.
How and what to feed Sharpei: rules of healthy eating
The prospective owner should prepare in advance for possible difficulties with the dog’s health. If your Shar Pei turns out to be a perfectly healthy dog without food allergies, that is great luck. In most cases, the owner has to feed the Sharpei according to a strict scheme, excluding unwanted foods.
What you can’t feed Sharpei
Never feed Sharpei table leftovers. or do not be surprised at the shabby hair and excruciating itching of the dog.
There are a number of foods that should not be fed to the Shar Pei to avoid allergies or other health problems:
- Bones are a useless product that should not be given to Sharpey at any age. Dogs of other breeds are recommended to give moslaks during the period of teething. Shar Pei will chew not only the bone, but also the lips, so the bones must be replaced with teether toys.
- Sausage products are replete with preservatives and flavor enhancers, which is fraught with allergies and otitis media.
- Loaf and other foods containing yeast (excluding vitamin supplements).
- River fish. useless for dogs, is a carrier of helminths, which are not affected by ordinary anthelmintic.
- Pork and lamb are too fatty meat for a Sharpei. Lean pork that has passed veterinary control is allowed only in boiled form.
- Sweets and any products containing sugar (including cookies). provokes the development of conjunctivitis, fungal infections and allergies.
- Chocolate, grapes, sweeteners, xylitol are poison for any dog.
- Honey. considered a strong allergen, but some dogs love and consume the product without problems (in organic quantities).
- Spices, marinades, E-additives.
- Salt in strictly limited quantities.
Sharpies should not be given leftover food from their table. You should remove from the diet such foods as:
- Sweets and foods that contain sugar as they cause allergies;
- Bones will not do any good for your pet;
- Pork and fatty parts of lamb;
- Cereals, except permitted;
- Sausage products due to the large number of spices and flavor substitutes in the composition;
- Sweeteners, grapes and chocolate;
- Loafs containing yeast;
- Marinades, spices, flavorings.
Important! Salt and raw chicken eggs are allowed only in very small quantities.
Rate and frequency of feeding
There are two types of feeding.
Shar Pei by nature are allergic and capricious animals. For this reason, you should be careful when choosing a natural diet for them. Consider the following guidelines:
- The main product of the menu is meat, but only low-fat varieties, for example, rabbit, chicken and turkey, and you can also give your pet beef and lean parts of lamb;
- For the day in the dog’s diet, half of the portion of meat should be offal. These include lungs, kidneys, cow’s udder, beef heart, skin and cartilage;
- Fish menu: halibut, haddock, pink salmon and hake; sometimes you can give perch and mackerel, but river fish is added to food only boiled;
- Shar-Pei stomach is very delicate, so that it can easily digest vegetables and fruits, they are given in ground form; from vegetables and fruits of this breed of animals, you can broccoli, beets, apples and tomatoes;
- Low-fat fermented milk products can be added to the dog’s diet, if it does not have lactose intolerance; this type of food is given no more than 1 time per week, be sure to carefully and observe the reaction;
- Eggs are added to the diet 1-2 pieces per week; preference is given to quail;
- Porridge is given on the water if the pet has a lack of mass; permitted cereals: rice, oats and buckwheat;
To exclude health problems in an animal, you need to observe the correct percentage of products when drawing up a menu, namely:
- Meat and boiled river fish or raw sea fish. 50%;
- Groats and cereals on the water. 25%;
- Vegetables and fruits. 20%;
- Eggs and low-fat dairy products. 5%.
Sometimes a Shar Pei will refuse to eat simply because he is not in the mood. This refers to the characteristics of the breed. Cooking natural food at home is very time-consuming and labor-intensive. But there is a good alternative, to cook for future use. Roll up in banks or freeze.
Without a regular diet, it is not suitable for Sharpei cubs. At least until you reach one year of age, you should adhere to the compiled regimen. Unlimited mode is manifested in the following:
- It is suitable for lactating individuals and pregnant women, since the dog in position consumes much more food than usual, this method will allow her to eat according to her needs;
- This mode is a priority for a group of Shar-Pei;
- It helps to identify the needs of the animal; the pet will independently be able to choose the time when to eat and portions;
- It is suitable for a sick dog.
This type of feeding has such disadvantages as:
- The appearance of excess weight in the dog;
- Loss of appetite will go unnoticed, respectively, you can skip the presence of a disease in your pet;
- Irrational use of feed, increased waste of the owner;
- The appearance of diseases of the skeletal system is possible;
- Not suitable for puppies.
Diet food is suitable for feeding in this way. It will help prevent obesity. When choosing the type of feeding for a healthy adult dog of this breed, it is better to decide in favor of a regimen. For Shar-Pei, this is more correct.
Nutrition according to the regimen is considered more correct, since the owner can completely control the entire process. The regime food is as follows:
- Fasting days should be about 2 times a month;
- Clear time for dispensing food;
- Strictly 15 minutes for feeding, after which the bowl is removed;
- Gradual introduction of new products;
- Rest after meals. an hour and a half without games;
- Adding vitamin supplements during daytime feeding;
- Preference for one type of feeding, it is not allowed to mix natural products and dry food.
Important! The frequency of meals for an adult and a puppy is different. Upon reaching the age of one year, it is enough to feed the dog 2 times a day.
Diet depending on age
The diet of small sharpei should include many foods containing protein. The smaller the dog is, the more minerals and nutrients it needs to function properly. From birth to complementary feeding, the correct development of babies depends on what their mother is feeding. Up to two months of age, babies feed on breast milk. Complementary foods begin to be introduced gradually in 1 month. From this period, the menu should only consist of 30% milk, and 70% should be other products. All ingredients of the new food must be of high quality and fresh.
It is very important not to wean the puppies from their mother for the first month. On artificial feeding, a small Shar Pei will not die, but he will have a number of problems, in particular, dysbiosis. From birth to one month old, the cubs feed every 2-3 hours, taking a break for the night, which is 4-6 hours. From 1 month, complementary foods should contain boiled minced meat and low-fat broth. In addition to mother’s milk, goat and cow are introduced into the diet. From ready-made feeds, you can offer your pet pies for puppies, the portion size directly depends on the rate of development. You need to feed about 5-6 times a day.
From 2 months, new products can be introduced into the menu, but you need to carefully monitor so that there is no allergic reaction of the body. If, after adding any product, a rash or irritation of the mucous membranes appears, this food should be removed from the menu. At 2 months, cottage cheese and low-fat kefir and yogurt are added to the diet of babies. A small dog should be given food 4-5 times a day, while breast milk should not be included in the diet.
From 3 months old, the little Shar Pei moves to a new home, he receives the first vaccinations, which can cause stress, which will be expressed in food allergies. If this happens, consultation with a veterinarian is required, who will prescribe antihistamines. If the dog is in good health, the treatment will be successful. You can add to the diet: rice, buckwheat, boiled chicken egg yolks, raw quail eggs, vegetable soup. If a Shar Pei starts eating ready-made food and he develops allergies, this food should be replaced with a hypoallergenic one.
From 4-6 months the Shar Pei menu becomes much wider. With natural nutrition, it includes: fermented milk products, chicken and quail eggs, raw and boiled meat, boiled offal, cottage cheese in small quantities, leather, cereals, vegetables and porridge with meat. During this period, you need to monitor the purity of the dog’s face after feeding, since very often the porridge remains in the folds of the skin, which can lead to its infection with bacteria.
When choosing a ready-made food, preference should be given to food for dog breeds with allergies. The portion size depends on the dog’s personality and tendencies. Full feeding takes place 3-4 times a day, as well as 2-3 small snacks.
From the age of six months to one year, the Shar Pei has already developed a taste. If you have a food allergy, you already know which foods. Dogs without allergies are best fed a natural diet. It includes the following products:
- Dairy products;
- Boiled river fish;
- Raw sea fish;
- Vegetables other than potatoes and cabbage;
- Unsweetened fruits;
- By-products such as heart, udder and lungs.
You need to feed your pet at this age 2-3 times a day. The portion size is finally set by the year and does not change anymore. Vitamins in the menu of puppies with natural nutrition are introduced from birth. Up to a year they are given constantly. After reaching this age, supplements are given in courses.
There are many natural beneficial supplements, but if a dog develops an individual intolerance to one or another supplement, stop using it and transfer the pet to an industrial vitamin complex. And also when drawing up a diet, it should be borne in mind that in addition to food, clean water is very important for the normal functioning in the life of a Shar Pei. Therefore, it is required to provide free access to it.
How and what to feed a Shar Pei?
- Diet depending on age
- Natural food
- Industrial feed overview
- Prohibited foods
- Rate and frequency of feeding
- Veterinarian advice
When choosing a pet, you need to familiarize yourself with its features. Having stopped your eyes on the Shar Pei, you should study in great detail the issue of feeding the animal of this breed, since proper nutrition is very important for these dogs. It is the primary need, the satisfaction of which is necessary for the normal functioning of your pet’s body.
Industrial feed overview
Dogs of this breed cannot be fed with economy class food. this is harmful to their health due to inappropriate composition. It is necessary to choose food without food additives, preservatives and flavor enhancers. When feeding a pet with finished products, you should alternate such types as:
- Dry food;
When choosing feed, you can focus on the rating of manufacturers. They are divided into several groups. The best firms are represented by the following:
- Artemis Maximal Dog;
- Go natural.
Good companies are represented by the following:
Medium brands include the following:
- Nutro Ultra Holistic;
- Eagle Pack Holistic Select.
It is worth adhering to the following recommendations from experts:
- The two types of food cannot be mixed; it is advisable to decide from the very birth of the dog what to feed the pet;
- You need to pay extra attention to the organization of meals and walking;
- The nutrition of sharpei depends on the season. in winter, low-calorie foods should be given to the animal, and complex vitamin supplements should be added to the diet in summer;
- The feeding regimen is organized taking into account the development, age and characteristics of the dog.
What type of food to choose
Dog breeders and veterinarians have not come to a consensus on the best way to feed Shar Pei at home. with ready-made feed or natural products.
One thing is for sure. mixing both diets is highly undesirable. Eating different types of food is fraught with serious digestive problems.
How many times a day to feed
During the suckling period, puppies are fed up to 6 times a day, depending on how much breast milk they receive.
After weaning, the number of feedings is reduced to 5 times a day. This is enough to keep the little ones full. Food is given every 3 hours from 7:00 to 22:00.
Puppies grow, as do their stomachs, and can eat more and more food at a time. Therefore, from 3 months to half a year, Sharpeis are fed 4 times a day, increasing the portion size.
After 6 months, food is given 3 times a day. This scheme is followed for up to 12 months. After a year of Shar Pei, it is enough to feed twice a day.
The amount of food is determined depending on the physical activity and the individual characteristics of the pet. During the period of active development, the daily feeding rate is approximately 7% of the dog’s weight, for adult animals. about 4%.
The dosage of dry food is usually indicated on the package.
Natural nutritionists find it more natural for dogs. The owner independently controls the freshness and quality of food, and the Sharpei does not get bored of the monotonous menu.
However, when feeding “natural” it is difficult to properly balance the diet. Therefore, dogs are additionally given vitamins and minerals. They are taken in courses 1-2 times a year as prescribed by a veterinarian.
In percentage terms, the Shar Pei power scheme looks like this:
- 50%. meat products and fish;
- 25%. porridge;
- 20%. vegetables and herbs;
- 5%. fermented milk products, eggs.
Not all Shar Pei digest beef well. Instead, feed your dog turkey, rabbit, or lamb. From offal, you should pay attention to the rumen, liver, lung, stomach.
Shar-Peis are fed daily with rice, buckwheat or oatmeal cereals, which provide the dogs with energy. Other grains are poorly absorbed by the body.
Of vegetables, dogs of this breed are suitable:
- White cabbage (stewed);
Fermented milk products should contain a minimum amount of fat. Periodically, you can feed Sharpey with cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt.
Boneless sea fish and eggs (chicken or quail) are given no more than 1-2 times a week.
An approximate menu for a week, presented in the table, will help you properly feed Shar Pei with natural products.
|1||Rice porridge with turkey, carrot puree||500||Rice porridge with rabbit, pumpkin puree||350|
|2||Turkey meat with oatmeal, carrot puree||500||Lamb with rice porridge, vegetable salad||250|
|3||Rice porridge, tripe, squash puree||400||Rice porridge with turkey, carrot puree||350|
|4||Halibut / flounder / hake fillet, rice porridge||400||Rice porridge with lamb, carrot puree||350|
|five||Cottage cheese with chicken egg||300||Rabbit meat with oatmeal, chopped bell pepper||350|
|6||Lamb with rice and carrot puree||500||Turkey with rice porridge, vegetable salad||250|
|7||Rice porridge with tripe, chopped bell pepper||500||Rice porridge with lamb, carrot puree||250|
If a Shar Pei has an allergy, it is necessary:
- Immediately exclude the product causing the negative reaction.
- Remove top dressing containing allergens: yeast, pollen, legumes.
- Put the dog on a rice diet for 2 weeks. On the 3rd and 4th day, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the porridge. olive or flaxseed.
- Nutrient deficiencies are compensated for with vitamin supplements.
When the Shar Pei’s condition improves, familiar foods are smoothly returned to the diet.
In addition to rice, the dog is fed:
- Vegetables (except red ones);
- Buckwheat porridge;
- Fresh herbs.
This diet should be followed for about a month. Only then can meat be introduced.
To avoid allergies in the future, it is better to feed the Shar Pei with hypoallergenic ready-made food with low protein.
What to feed during pregnancy and after childbirth?
A pregnant female especially needs the care and attention of the owner. The first 30 days after mating there is no need to change the diet. The fruits are still very small and do not cause serious physiological changes in the body.
Then the daily food volume is slightly increased as the dog needs more energy. This amount is divided into 3-4 servings. the expectant mother cannot eat a lot of food at a time. After all, the growing uterus presses on the stomach and other internal organs.
The diet should be dominated by protein foods. meat, fish, cottage cheese. It is important that the dog does not gain excess weight. He threatens with complications during childbirth.
After the birth of puppies, Shar Pei can eat 2-3 times more than before pregnancy. The dog continues to be fed small portions.
In the first week of lactation, meat is excluded from the diet. Instead, they give sea fish, as it is better absorbed.
Once the puppies are fed solid food, the amount of food for the mother is gradually reduced. When all the babies are sold out, the Shar-Pei arrange a fasting day, after which they return to their usual diet.
Prepared dog food
Dry granules and canned food are easy to use. They can be stored for a long time and taken with you on trips. The owner does not have to waste time cooking. Just pour the right amount of food into the bowl.
Finished food for Shar Pei should be of high quality. premium or super premium class or holistic level. Such food fully meets the needs of the body and provides the dog with all the nutrients.
You must refuse to buy economy-class feed. Their constant use is harmful to the health of Sharpei. This is due to the poor composition and artificial flavors, which are used to reduce the cost.
For Shar Pei, it is better to choose dry food that matches the characteristics of the breed. This category includes:
- GO! NATURAL Grain Free Endurance. Contains natural meats, vegetables, fruits and probiotics. The composition contains no components unnatural for a dog’s diet, low-quality and controversial ingredients.
- Artemis Maximal Dog is a grain-free food. The meat components account for 20%. Contains plant extracts and extracts that have a positive effect on animal health.
- Orijen is a grain-free food that is as close as possible to the natural diet of predators. Made from several types of meat, fish, vegetables, fruits and herbal ingredients. The amount of artificially synthesized additives is minimal. May contain chicken, so study the composition before buying.
- Canidae. the line includes hypoallergenic, grain-free and potato-free foods that do not ferment in the stomach. The basis is made up of protein products of animal origin. Only natural flavors and preservatives are used.
- Nutro Ultra Holistic is a great option for Shar Pei with allergies. Made from high quality ingredients without the use of offal. Strengthens the immune system and improves digestion.
- Cibau Sensitive Lamb MediumMaxi is intended for dogs with a sensitive digestive system and a tendency to allergies. Contains no chicken, wheat, soy, or isolated plant proteins.
If the Shar Pei is sick, he is transferred to feed from veterinary lines:
- For joint problems. Eukanuba, Farmina, Brit;
- In case of impaired renal function. Canidae;
- For skin diseases. Royal Canin Skin Care SK;
- For bloating and gastrointestinal diseases. Eagle Pack Holistic Select.
You should first consult a veterinarian. he will indicate the advisability of using this or that feed.
What to feed a Shar Pei puppy
Puppies are very vulnerable. feeding errors have an extremely negative impact on health. Their diet should be as balanced and nutritious as possible.
Only then the dog will develop correctly, grow up healthy and energetic.
What can not be fed
Sharpeevs cannot be fed with food from a human table, even if they plaintively beg for a tidbit.
- Dishes with salt and spices;
- Fried food;
- Fatty meat, sausages and smoked meats;
- Sweets and baked goods;
- Fast food and convenience foods;
- Products containing caffeine and other stimulants;
- River fish;
- Tubular bones;
- Pasta, millet and corn;
- Grapes, raisins, citrus fruits, walnuts, mushrooms.
These products negatively affect the functioning of internal organs, and some of them can cause poisoning.
What and how best to feed a Shar Pei: the right diet for a Chinese breed
The homeland of Sharpeis is China. For centuries, these dogs have been fed primarily with rice, which has led to the formation of specific eating habits. In addition, the breed is prone to allergies and dermatitis.
Therefore, for the full development and maintenance of the pet’s health, the diet should be made especially carefully.
- What type of food to choose
- Prepared dog food
- Natural products
- What can not be fed
- How many times a day to feed
- What to feed a Shar Pei puppy
- Diet in the first month
- Shar Pei diet at two months
- Shar Pei diet at three and four months
- What to feed during pregnancy and after childbirth?
- How to feed an aged dog
Shar Pei diet at three and four months
As the puppy grows, the portions increase slightly. However, after feeding, the belly should not be too inflated.
At 4 months, offal appear on the menu. Milk is gradually removed from the diet, as dogs stop assimilating it with age.
With the beginning of the change of teeth, the puppy needs increased doses of calcium. They start to give him calcified cottage cheese and mineral supplements.
Go Natural Grain Free Endurance
What else can you feed a Shar Pei? Many recommend Go Natural Grain Free Endurance, a super premium food made in Canada. It is also a holistic diet food with natural ingredients.
- Hypoallergenic meat;
- A fish;
- Flax oil;
- Cottage cheese;
- Bifido bacteria;
- Other vegetables and fruits.
Few people know that the food is considered universal, since the composition is optimal for any breed of any age. It is only important to adjust the portion depending on the size of the Shar Pei.
The main feature of Go Natural Grain Free Endurance is calorie content and nutritional value, so the pet eats less, but is more active and mobile.
Canidae is a super premium, Human Grade holistic food produced in America and included in the list of the best. The main features are the absence of cereals and soy, but a lot of proteins and amino acids.
- Four types of meat;
- Berries and fruits;
- Fatty acid;
By the way, you will not find chemicals and flavorings banned in many countries, like BHA and BHT, in the Canide food. Therefore, the food is suitable for any dog of different ages.
Major diseases and what food can help to cope with them
If you want to avoid a number of diseases that are inherent in sharpei, it is better to use professional feed:
- Dysplasia and Arthritis. Josera, Brit;
- Renal failure, Canidae;
- Skin infections. Royal Canin Skin Care SK;
- Allergy. Innova, Royal Canin;
- Bloating, flatulence, and digestive problems. Eagle Pack Holistic Select, origen.
Orijen food is also produced in Canada and is considered to be super premium and considered one of the best. Many people note that the composition includes foods that a dog would receive naturally.
- Meat and offal more than 50%;
- A fish;
- Healing herbs;
- Natural flavor enhancers.
Another feature is a small amount of fiber (therefore it is better to give only to adult pets), the presence of chicken in some lines of meat, which causes allergies.
Prepared food for Shar Pei
What dry food to feed? There are several leaders in which there are lines for medium breeds of dogs and puppies, taking into account the sensitivity of the skin, stomach.
- Artemis Maximal Dog;
- Go Natural Grain Free Endurance;
- Nutro ultra holistic.
The peculiarity of these feeds is that they belong to the highest class, high quality, quickly absorbed and have a full set of vitamins.
Remember that good food for Shar Pei is nutritious, so their portion is half that of natural food and economy class food.
Nutro ultra holistic
Nutro Ultra Holistic belongs to the super premium class and holistic, therefore it is often used for allergies and dermatitis, to restore digestion. It can be used at different ages, as nutrition strengthens the immune system and increases activity.
- Meat from 30%;
- Minerals and vitamins;
Note that you will have to calculate the portion of food, since with short walks obesity can develop, cholesterol in the blood rises.
One of the features of Nutro Ultra Holistic food is the possibility of using Shar Pei during pregnancy and after childbirth, for aging animals and puppies.
What to feed a Shar Pei
6 minutes to read
How to feed a Shar Pei so that there is no allergy, is it possible to feed a Shar Pei with mixed food, how many times a day. all the owners of this breed ask these questions. Due to the fact that the dog often suffers from allergies and dermatitis, food must be selected thoroughly and prematurely. Ready-made food or dry, it’s up to you, because they are equally good. But subject to the rules of preparation, portions and frequency. Therefore, below we will learn how to properly feed an adult Shar Pei and a puppy.
- Prepared food for Shar Pei
- Artemis Maximal Dog
- Go Natural Grain Free Endurance
- Nutro ultra holistic
How to feed a Shar Pei puppy
In addition to what you can feed a Shar Pei puppy, let’s decide how many times and in what amount to feed:
- At 1-2 months, feed is given up to five times a day;
- At 3-6 months up to four times a day;
- Up to a year, they feed three times a day;
- From 1 year of age, they switch to two meals a day.
Speaking about the portion of food, it depends on the weight of the pet (the average calculation for active and sedentary animals):
- Up to 2 kg. 30 g;
- Up to five kg. 50 g per day;
- Up to 10 kg. 130 g.
With regards to the general rules for serving food, remember a few:
- Some puppies may refuse to eat all day long, and this is normal;
- It is often better not to change the feed;
- Even an adult dog is better off not giving fatty meat;
- Do not forget to feed with vitamins and minerals with natural feeding.
For puppies you can choose between:
- Royal Canin Medium Junior;
- Ekanuba Pappy
- Almo still life of pappy resins;
- Pappy summit.
Natural food for Shar Pei
How to feed a Shar Pei puppy, except for dry food, not everyone knows.
There are a number of essential food items:
- Meat and raw offal;
- Vegetables in the form of pumpkins, carrots and zucchini;
- Boiled eggs no more than once a week;
- Kefir or cottage cheese;
- Seafood, boiled fish;
- Cereals and cereals like rice, oatmeal.
How to properly feed York puppies up to 2 months
Some owners, purchasing a Yorkshire Terrier puppy, not only do not know how to feed the baby properly, but in order to avoid excess weight, keep him in a strict body. This cannot be done. with a deficiency of nutrients and nutrition in the required amount, the puppy will not be able to lead an active lifestyle, it will sleep a lot. With such pets, they often come to a veterinarian with problems with hair loss and many sores that literally stick to a four-legged friend.
To prevent this from happening, focus on feeding a puppy at the age of 1 month with mother’s breast milk. Doctors recommend that the dog is saturated with breast milk vitamins for up to 1.5 months. Only in this way can he form a more or less protective barrier against infections and environmental surprises.
At 2 months, you can already switch to feed, the number of feedings should be at least 6 times a day. Fractional nutrition will allow the digestive system to process food a little, which means that assimilation will be most intense and at the same time easy. Some veterinarians even advise not to limit a York puppy in food at least the first months of life. let the bowl be full all the time. dogs rarely suffer from greed, so your pet will not eat too much.
Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Menu Options
At the age of two months, the puppy can be offered this option of the daily menu number 1:
- Curd mass, whipped with one egg yolk and a few raisins.
- Cucumbers, zucchini added to boiled meat, cut into pieces. The dish can be seasoned with vegetable or meat sauce.
- Pumpkin porridge mixed with rice.
- Vegetable soup with boiled chicken and a few leafy greens.
- “Hercules” on water, seasoned with butter, with the addition of grated carrots.
Menu # 2 looks like this:
- Vegetables with boiled liver.
- Top grade buckwheat seasoned with meat broth.
- One quail egg (possible with protein) and rice porridge cooked in milk (if the puppy tolerates milk well).
- Omelet and meat with boiled vegetables.
- Porridge “Hercules”.
How to define obesity
Feel the dog’s ribs:
- If there are no fat deposits and folds, then you are doing everything right;
- Ideally, the ribs should be palpable with a finger underneath a small layer of fat. Otherwise, where does the baby get energy for accomplishments in a new day??
As for the increased dosage of feeding, this is also possible, for example, if the dog frolics every day on the street with other dogs, or the family has a small child with whom the dog spends all his free time.
To prevent the puppy from becoming overgrown with fat, it is necessary to introduce mineral substances and various types of feeding into the diet, which play an important role in the formation of the dog’s skeletal system. Do not overdo it. consult a doctor you trust, otherwise a large amount of feeding will have the opposite effect. the skeleton will become fragile and brittle, and the paws are prone to periodic fractures. By the way, this rarely happens in adult dogs. The body adapts and copes with the excess of vitamins on its own. it just brings them out.
When composing a diet, think not only about how high in calories you offer your four-legged friend, but also about the safety of their use. And here we are faced with a dilemma: to cook products or serve natural food raw? When it comes to fish and meat, of course, it is better to boil it in slightly salted water. It is impossible to check meat and fish yourself for the presence of helminths and infections, therefore, in order to preserve and increase the health of a York puppy, we offer him only a thoroughly cooked product, previously cleaned of bones and skin.
If oatmeal is used, it is better not just to pour it over with boiling water, but to boil it well. the puppy will eat such porridge with pleasure and even lick a bowl. Make it a rule to give meat. rabbit meat, turkey meat, beef. only in the evening, then a well-fed baby will not wake you up at night. Before serving, the meat should be cut into small pieces, but at the same time not turned into porridge. It is better to give up bones up to 2 years old completely. they can not only injure the esophagus, but also cause intestinal disorders.
Breeders advise cooking vegetable salads from pumpkin, zucchini, cucumbers and carrots. If the puppy has itchy teeth, be sure to treat him to a small piece of carrot. you will see how he will like such a vitamin “comb”.
All dishes must be served boiled, stewed or lightly fried; to give an unusual taste, it is sometimes allowed to season food with vegetable oil. Sour cream can make a Yorkie upset.
Knowing what you need to feed a York puppy for 2 months is useful, but it also does not hurt to decide on a list of prohibited foods:
- Sweets, flour products, cakes, lump sugar. cause lacrimation and suppuration of the eyes in puppies. Liver function after prolonged experiments also leaves much to be desired.
- It is better to undersalt a dish than to oversalt.
- Spices, preservatives, herbs and even flavorings are contraindicated for both toddlers and adult dogs.
- The taboo applies to pork, and not only because of the high fat content of meat. Pork is too often found in canine distemper, it is not tolerated by the liver.
- York loves raw potatoes, so 1 small potato can be fed a couple of times a week.
- Puppies need to be saturated with useful microelements of milk until the age of 4 months, then the Yorkies develop intolerance to the product. If the baby is sick from milk from the very birth, you should not stuff it just because the neighbor’s dog does not have such a reaction.
- Get ready for the fact that the doggie will first beg. sit down at the table and ask to be given something tasty. Do not allow yourself “harmful” pity, because it really hurts the health of the Yorkie.
Whether to give dry food
The food is designed to ensure the health of the miniature dog and remain safe for the digestive system, maintain the health of the teeth and help the body’s natural defense mechanisms do their job.