York puppy diet.
In the early days, the puppy feeds on breast milk and colostrum every 2 hours. After feeding, he sleeps, the stomach is noticeably rounded. When hungry, he squeaks and crawls, worries. Artificial feeding involves feeding on a schedule, assistance in the administration of needs and moderate heating, glucose droppers. After 3 weeks, you can take a break for the night, but no more than 8 hours. In addition to milk, mothers are given food with the following frequency per day:
- 1 month. 4 p.;
- 2 m. 5-6 rubles;
- 3-4 m. 4-5 p.;
- 4-8 m. 3-4 p.;
- 8-12 m. 3 p.;
- 1 year and older. 2-3 r.
Feeding york with dry food
For Yorkies, they choose premium and super-premium dry food. The minimum protein (protein) in them is 20%, the maximum is 60%, the average percentage of fats is 18%. They can consist of the meat of various animals, meat and bone meal, herbal extracts, fruits, be cereal or grain-free. For individuals with a weak stomach, croquettes with prebiotics have been created to maintain and restore beneficial microflora. The balls in any package should be tiny so that the Yorkie can easily chew them. You should be careful about ready-made food with vitamin and mineral supplements, consult your veterinarian before use. In any case, more water is consumed, the liquid prevents the formation of kidney stones.
They switch to drying unhurriedly in 15-20 days. Initially, 1 ball is added to the bowl, you can soak it with warm water or low-fat kefir. Further, the number of croquettes is increased until they are left alone without natural products. In the reverse transition, natural ingredients are also included gradually. An abrupt change is fraught with disruption of the gastrointestinal tract and a long return to normal. In some lines and nurseries, several generations of Yorkies feed only on pellets, and their descendants already have a hard time digesting beef trimmings and steamed chops.
Have you helped you learn a little more about the Yorkshire Terrier breed? Read our other articles on the website: Education and training of the Yorkshire Terrier
What can you feed a Yorkie?
Both natural foods and dry foods (such as Acana Classics dog food) are suitable for this breed. It all depends on the ability and desire of the owner, the state of health. However, the diet of any dog should be based on proteins, which are found mainly in meat. You also need to take care of a sufficient amount of carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals. How many times a day to feed a Yorkie? Is it necessary to boil food and is it dangerous for raw food to be contaminated?
Simple rules for experienced and novice owners:
- Meat and tripe are given only raw; after heat treatment, it loses its beneficial properties. By-products (liver, heart, lungs) are lightly boiled to avoid indigestion. Scalding will not kill harmful microorganisms, and regular treatment with anthelmintics will save you from parasites.
- For an adult, two or three meals a day are enough. For newborns, juniors, sick, pregnant women, the elderly, the frequency is different.
- Access to drinking fresh water is always free with any feeding method.
- Yorkshire Terrier should not be hungry for more than 1 day. Hypoglycemia is a dangerous condition and sometimes leads to death, it appears due to a sharp decrease in blood sugar after a long fast. The smaller the dog, the higher the risks.
- Pieces of food should be medium in size (about 22 cm) so that the jaws work and the Yorkie does not choke. Minced meat is digested very poorly.
- You can’t constantly change your diet. Better a monotonous menu of familiar ingredients with a rare inclusion of delicacies.
- Do not mix dry and natural foods. The digestive system of decorative breeds rarely copes with an abrupt transition and cannot so quickly regulate the production of enzymes for each type of food.
- Food is given only warm, as well as water. Hot causes burns to the mucous membranes, and cold gastritis.
- In winter, the portion size is 15% larger with long walks and low temperatures.
Feeding york with natural food
Feeding your Yorkshire Terrier with natural products does not bring additional hassle, because they need very little. The diet should be based on proteins. about 3.5% of the animal’s weight. For example, with a weight of 3.5 kg, you need 105 g of beef per day. The trebuch is less nutritious, so the portion with it is increased by 1.5 times. In terms of composition and digestibility, beef and second-grade horse meat with veins are ideal. Chicken and turkey are easy to digest, but frequent consumption can lead to an excess of protein and allergies, and liver damage. They are given 2-4 times a week. Chicken eggs are useful and nutritious, they are boiled, only the yolk is fed to the pet 3 times every 7 days. Quails in the amount of 2 pieces are given in the shell and raw. They cannot tolerate the dangerous disease salmonellosis.
Cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk, whey and yogurt saturate the body with protein, calcium and support the microflora of the digestive system, so they are always present in the diet. You can eat them every other day. Allowed only sea fish and without a ridge, boiled for 10 minutes: pink salmon, hake, halibut, cod, small mackerel, salmon. In the river there are a lot of parasites and small bones, it needs to be cooked for a long time and it becomes useless, falls apart.
Fruits (green apples), herbs (parsley and dill), vegetables (zucchini, pumpkin, cucumbers, carrots) are source of vitamins and minerals, fiber. Finely chopped, stewed in water for 5 minutes, and added to regular food. Porridge. carbohydrates and vitamin reserves, rice and buckwheat are boiled until soft and 1 tablespoon is placed in a bowl. In summer, cereals can be discarded. Useful additions to natural food: salt and vegetable oil. As a delicacy, a slightly salted piece of cheese, a large beef bone, which is selected before the pieces are chopped, chicken skeleton, cartilage, veins, pork ears, beef hooves are suitable. A small pet will not eat them, but it will grind off plaque on the teeth and train the chewing muscles.
This is an approximate daily menu for a healthy Yorkie over a year old and weighing 3 kg:
- meat cuts. 105 g;
- cereals. 1 tablespoon;
- sour milk. 50 g;
- fish. 150 g;
- salt. 2-3 g;
How to feed a pregnant Yorkie?
In the first quarter of puberty after mating, the frequency and menu does not change. In the period 2-6 weeks, the portions are increased by 20% and the bowl is filled 3 times a day. The last 2 weeks limit the amount of meat by 30-40%, replacing it with cottage cheese, eggs. This is considered to be the prevention of childbirth complications. It is advisable to feed a pregnant Yorkie with what the puppies will eat in the first 2 months of life. After childbirth, the menu is also left unchanged, only the usual portion of food increases. In 3 weeks, you can transfer the expectant mother to drying for puppies from the same line as the usual one. It has higher nutritional value and fat content.
Have you helped you learn a little more about the Yorkshire Terrier breed? Read our other articles on the site: is there an allergy to the Yorkshire Terrier?
Yorkies dry food manufacturers
Almost all well-known and large brands have lines marked “for active and small” (from 1 to 10 kg). Too low a cost indicates a meager protein content and a lot of useless and sometimes dangerous fillers (corn, cake, fat, ground horns, leather). The high price is also not a guarantee, but due to the characteristics of the individual consumer. The following firms were recognized among the owners:
- Purina Pro Plan;
- Royal Canin;
What can you feed your Yorkie puppy??
York is born with a weight of about 70-150 g and immediately looks for the mother’s udder. First, the bitch excretes colostrum. a very fatty and nutritious substance, and then only milk. If everything is in order, then feeding the newborn puppy does not require human intervention. It is necessary to monitor the weight gain, in the first day after childbirth, it may even decrease slightly, and then in 6-8 days an increase of up to 40 is expected. As it grows, this indicator grows several times.
If the mother does not have milk due to illness, caesarean section, then they resort to substitutes. These are available from the manufacturers Royal Canin, Nutri-Vet, Canina, for their use, the instructions are strictly followed. There are veterinary clinics with services for nursing such babies in a hospital.
The first complementary food is introduced at the age of 3 weeks. These are liquid milk rice porridge or special mousses from industrial feed manufacturers, soaked granules from the Starter series. For the first time, the baby can only try a new food, then during the day he is closely watched. If the result is good, milk porridge is given every other day, and the next. a thin piece of lean beef (chicken, turkey) the size of a puppy’s nose. Milk is taken only from goat, its composition is close to the bough. Further, complementary foods are increased and varied by months:
- 1-2: meat, rice porridge, breast milk;
- 3-4: fish, eggs, dairy products are added;
- 4-6: introduce vegetables and tripe;
- 6-12: adult diet.
What you can not feed the Yorkshire Terrier?
All canines are predators and their digestive system is not designed to process food from the human table, a large amount of vegetation. Firstly, it contains a lot of salt, spices and fat, and secondly, after heat treatment, it is poor in nutrients. The consumption of such food provokes poisoning, disruption of the pancreas, hair loss and allergic reactions. For the Yorkshire Terrier, a separate recipe has not been created, but such products cannot be included in the menu categorically:
- spicy, smoked, fried;
- fat and lard;
- tubular or boiled bones;
- onion garlic;
- cow’s milk;
- river and spoiled fish;
- rolls, cakes, pastries;
- pits of cherries, grapes, apricots, plums;
When choosing this type, you need to be prepared for the fact that you will have to prepare special food for your pet on a weekly or even daily basis. The proportions are the same, 40-50% of the daily menu is protein: meat, eggs, dairy products, cheeses. The carbohydrate part is buckwheat, rice and oat groats, vegetables and fruits. Fats. vegetable oil (2 times a week, 1 teaspoon in feed).
Chicken is the most accessible protein, the cheapest, but often due to incubation and antibiotic feeding, such meat becomes a strong allergen.
Diet depending on the age of the dog
Both dry food and natural food are selected according to age. Finished products are categorized by age group. There are also separate species for pregnant females, sick and elderly pets, dogs with various disorders of the digestive system.
How to properly feed an adult York
Correct calculation of substances:
- 40-50% protein;
- 30% carbohydrates;
- 20% fat.
According to this proportion, a daily diet and a weekly menu are selected, which can become permanent.
An adult dog will need 120-160 g of food per day: 2 times 60-80 g. Additional receptions are prohibited, not counting training with treats. Bowls should be washed after each use, the water in the drinker is refreshed daily.
What can be fed at 3-6 months and beyond
From 2.5-3 months, solid food is introduced. If it is dry food. then granules for puppies, if natural. permitted products. Boiled soft chicken, turkey, rabbit, boneless sea fish, twisted offal and light cereals (rice, buckwheat, oatmeal) boiled in water are suitable.
Be sure to use vegetables and fruits in the menu:
Protein mass except meat. chicken and quail eggs (2 times a week), yogurt, kefir, milk from this age is prohibited.
Nutrition for a puppy in 1-2 months
The basis of the diet for a newborn is mother’s milk. Until weaning at 1.5-2 months, babies should receive it in order to strengthen their immunity and absorb the necessary vitamins. But already at this age it is allowed to introduce complementary foods in order to prepare the dog for sale.
The best foods for building the skeletal and muscular system:
- Milk curds;
- Natural yogurt;
- Sheep and goat milk;
- Liquid semolina.
Complementary foods are given 4-5 times a day, 1-2 teaspoons.
Daily feeding rate for puppies (table)
Depending on the age of the puppies, not only a certain menu is selected, but also the frequency of meals with a limited volume.
Newborn babies have access to milk around the clock, therefore, with early weaning from the mother, it is important to observe the regime of constant feeding with semolina and milk. Otherwise, rickets may develop (with a lack of vitamins).
|Age||Number of feedings||Serving volume (g)|
|1-2||6||up to 20|
What and how to feed a York puppy
When keeping miniature breeds, the main rule is strict dietary restrictions. This shakes not only the volume, but also the list of permitted products.
The norm of animals is 20 g of food per 1 kg of weight, the standard for Yorkshire Terriers is 2.5-3 kg, which means up to 60 g of feed at a time.
In this case, a portion should contain all the necessary substances: proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, salts, trace elements.
From childhood, dogs are taught to schedule: they put bowls of food the right number of times a day, for 15-20 minutes, during which the kid must cope. A taboo is imposed on begging, looking for food on the street, from strangers.
Owners have three ways of feeding:
- dry food;
- wet canned food;
- natural nutrition.
Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Often breeders recommend the type or brand that was used to feed the puppies in the kennel. To transfer the baby to a different diet, you need to introduce complementary foods at 2-5 grams. daily for 1-2 weeks, gradually increasing the volume.
Yorkie nutrition: puppies, adult dogs, menu design and food selection
Like all miniature breeds, Yorkshire Terriers often suffer from gastrointestinal problems. In addition, without a balanced, proper diet, heart and liver failure, calcium deficiency and weakness of the musculoskeletal system occur. Therefore, the key to good health is a verified diet.
A portion of york
Adult Yorkshire Terriers barely reach a weight of three kilograms, which means that their daily portion at the rate of 20 g per 1 kg of body weight is limited to 60 grams of food. This is both good and bad. One side. small costs for food, and on the other. the need for several spoons of food to provide a complete nutrient set. Therefore, they have to be fed several times a day. With the awareness of their responsibility for the health of the animal, questions begin about its proper nutrition.
The following foods are strictly prohibited for Yorkshire Terriers:
|pork and lamb||increased load on the liver|
|sweets, chocolate, pastries, desserts, fresh loaf||cause dermatitis and diarrhea|
|natural bones||source of injuries and broken teeth|
|oatmeal, barley||slightly nutritional value, may cause allergies|
|smoked meats, pickles, sausages, hard cheeses||diseases of the kidneys, pancreas|
|milk||not absorbed by the body, causes diarrhea|
|cabbage, legumes, potatoes||not digested, cause flatulence|
What is suitable for Yorkies
Immediately it should be stipulated that the owners of Yorkshire terriers should forget about buying feed below the premium class. We are talking about the categories “economy” and “regular”. Don’t be fooled by advertising: cheap feed may include meat from old, sick, dead animals (slaughterhouse waste). Together with him, the dog receives a hefty portion of antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides.
In addition, artificial flavor enhancers, fragrances and colors are used in this category.
Real food for a Yorkie, even in the form of croquettes or granules, must contain at least 40% natural lean meat, be balanced in terms of vitamin and mineral composition, and take into account the age and characteristics of the animal. Manufacturers of “premium” and “performance” food on the packaging indicate the composition of the product, its nutritional value and recommendations for serving size.
Another pleasant feature of high-quality dry food is a special coating of granules with a composition designed to clean teeth from plaque and tartar.
Disadvantages of dry food:
- they become boring (especially true for capricious babies);
- may contain chemical additives;
- there is no guarantee that only high-quality ingredients are included in their composition;
- it is difficult to choose a quality product due to unfair advertising.
If your baby refuses to eat, do not sound the alarm right away. It is possible that he just decided to arrange a fasting day.
Some of the disadvantages of prepared foods can be circumvented. To do this, you should consult with puppy breeders or experienced dog breeders who are not interested in promoting certain brands of dog food. There is practically no information on the Internet on this topic, which is why on our sites we have opened a section for reviews of dry feed.
As for self-cooking, this type of pet feeding is suitable for a person who is keen on kitchen and has free time for experiments. In this case, the pet will receive a fresh variety of food and will not be deprived of gourmet pleasures.
A pregnant or lactating bitch needs a special diet and an increased frequency of feedings (up to 5). It is necessary to take care of high-calorie food, rich in proteins, vitamins and microelements. Special balanced ready-to-eat feed is the best yield in this case.
The main product for natural nutrition is meat, dairy products and some vegetables. Vitamins and minerals should be added to cooked meals. Veterinarians determine the type and amount of feeding by the number of puppies, the weight of the dog and babies. Both mums and puppies need to get enough water.
- Royal Canin, France. The line includes food for puppies of different ages, adults, puppies, lactating and old dogs. There is a specialized “MiniAdult 27”. for small breeds, and “Mini Sensible”. for babies with digestive problems. On our website there is a detailed review of Royal Canin food for Yorkies.
- Orijen, Canada. A chip is a special way of processing food while preserving its taste and nutritional value. Detailed analysis of Origen.
- Pro plan, USA. In the laboratories of the Nestlé Purina company, where the brand is produced, they develop special nutritional complexes for dogs of different breeds.
- Mera Dog, Germany. Make Accent to protect pets from adverse external factors with a balanced diet.
- Hill’s, USA. Reliable daily food for active dogs.
- 1st Choice, Canada. Read a detailed review of Fest Choice food on our website
- Acana, Canada. than 30 years in the pet food market. Offers a menu made with fresh, proven ingredients.
The named manufacturers took care of the Yorkies. Their product lines include food for puppies, their mothers, adults and older dogs. From all the variety, you can choose canned food and dry food, taking into account the composition and preferences of your pet. Read our article in detail: Choosing food for small breed dogs.
Choosing the type of feeding
There are three options for feeding your dog:
- eating natural food when the food is prepared at home especially for the pet;
- soft canned food;
- dry food.
Soft canned food
Wet food is a good balance between dry and natural. This option will prevent rapid weight gain even if the recommended serving size is exceeded, since canned food is moderately high in calories. But at the same time, they contain all the necessary components to maintain the health of the dog.
Sample menu for the day
Diet option for an adult Yorkshire terrier for the day:
- 105 g of cut meat;
- 150 g of fish;
- 1.5 tbsp. l. cereals;
- 2 g salt;
- 50 g sour milk.
Feeding scheme for an adult dog
You can switch to two meals a day after reaching the age of 9 months. A portion of an adult dog should be about 500 g in total. The food in the bowl should be at room temperature, the pieces should not be left too large.
Switching from natural food
If the owner understands that a natural diet is not his option, dry food can be selected. They are of no less quality. Dry food is especially good for beginners who do not know much about the nature of the canine organism.
York near the bowl
Diet for senior yorkies
You need to love pets for the rest of your life. As soon as the owner feels that his pet’s teeth and stomach are weakening, the diet should be reconsidered. With age, the dog’s activity level decreases and he begins to gain weight. Therefore, it is worth slightly reducing the calorie content of a portion. It is necessary to reduce the amount of protein and fat, and leave more carbohydrates and dietary fiber.
Overview of ready-made food for the Yorkshire Terrier
There are a wide variety of dry food options on the market. When thinking about how to feed a Yorkie, it is advisable to pay attention to the following brands:
|Name||Class||Price for 1 kg (rub.)|
|1st Choice Breeders||Premium||500-530|
|Royal Canin Yorkshire Terriere||Super premium||670|
Holistic food is considered the best, because natural products predominate in their composition.
Feeding york with natural food
If you have the opportunity to choose what to feed the Yorkie at home, first of all, you should pay attention to the natural diet. It will satisfy all the needs of a small energetic dog.
Dry food or natural food
When choosing the type of food, the owner should be guided by the fact that he wants to see his puppy healthy and energetic. It is impossible to determine the best diet or the worst. all individually. Therefore, it is worth considering the advantages and disadvantages of each type of feed separately.
How to feed a York puppy. the daily rate for different ages
For full development, Yorkie puppies need a properly selected diet, taking into account all the characteristics of the breed. This type of dog is considered quite finicky; breeders are required to take into account a lot when compiling a daily diet. Otherwise, the pet will be weaker, lethargic and prone to various diseases.
From the first moments of life, Yorkshire Terriers need special care, this also applies to nutrition.
Veterinarians have developed general feeding rules for these breeds:
- Overeating is prohibited, otherwise the puppy will not be active enough.
- Strictly observe the number of feedings. If there is food left in the bowl, the pet should not be offered food again.
- Keep track of time. Immediately teach that the time for food is given about 20 minutes.
- Remove uneaten food.
- Always leave clean water in the bowl.
- If the puppy eats natural food, then it must be freshly prepared.
It is important that immediately after birth and for 3 days, puppies eat exclusively maternal colostrum.
Proper feeding of puppies of this breed assumes that:
- dry food is given strictly in the amount and as many times as needed for a particular age;
- if the diet is natural products, then in the morning there should be liquid food, preferably porridge, and at lunchtime and in the evening, meat or fish.
What to feed
Each age has its own criteria for complementary feeding, and the amount of food needed for a puppy.
In 1 month
From this moment, there is an acquaintance with adult food.
It is recommended to start gradually:
- offer the baby a few pieces of dry food (previously soaked in water). Note: if the food did not arouse interest, then you do not need to insist, tomorrow you should try again;
- give food before the puppies take the mother’s breast;
- when pets began to consume food with pleasure (usually this is observed on the 3rd day after the introduction of complementary foods) to increase the number of feedings.
Yorkie puppies at 1 month old are best given only dry food, because:
- they are easier to digest;
- have a beneficial effect on digestion;
- contain the required minerals and vitamins.
How Often to Feed a Yorkie
The main thing is to make sure that the selected food is suitable for this age category and is not lower than the premium class.
Daily rate for different ages
Yorkies belong to small breeds, respectively, their one-time portions are small. The calculation is based on 1 kg of weight 20 grams of feed, this is not a whole tablespoon.
Advice: if the breeder sees that the dog is hungry, then it is allowed to increase it to 25-30 grams.
Depending on age, the rate per day is as follows:
- up to 1 month. mother’s milk (on demand);
- from 1 to 2 months. 5 meals;
- from 2 to 3 months, also 5 receptions, but closer to 3 m, go up to 4 times a day;
- after 3 and up to 6 months. switch to three meals a day;
- from 6 months to a year. 3 meals a day remain, but starting from 9 months a gradual transition to two meals a day.
How and What to Feed a Yorkie
Note: some puppies are ready to eat twice a day at 9-10 months, others take longer to get used to. However, by the age of 12 months, absolutely everyone should eat this way.
It is from 2 months of age that it is supposed to clearly know what kind of food the dog will be in the future. dry or natural. The mixed type is prohibited, it is also better not to give different dry food without urgent need.
If the choice is made towards natural food, then for this age you need:
- meat: beef, rabbit, veal; turkey or chicken;
- fish: cod, hake and other low-fat species;
- fat-free cottage cheese or 5%;
- porridge: millet, buckwheat, rice, oatmeal;
- quail eggs; Note: chicken is allowed, but with care.
- pumpkin, bell pepper, beetroot;
- green apple.
Meat is served only raw, it is allowed to make porridge in meat broth. You also need vitamins, they are purchased in zoo pharmacies as prescribed by a veterinarian.
The main thing is that every day the puppy gets porridge, meat, vegetables, fruits every other day, fish and eggs once a week.
Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Menu Options
At the age of two months, the puppy can be offered this option of the daily menu number 1:
- Curd mass, whipped with one egg yolk and a few raisins.
- Cucumbers, zucchini added to boiled meat, cut into pieces. The dish can be seasoned with vegetable or meat sauce.
- Pumpkin porridge mixed with rice.
- Vegetable soup with boiled chicken and a few leaves of greens.
- “Hercules” on water, seasoned with butter, with the addition of grated carrots.
- Vegetables with boiled liver.
- Premium buckwheat seasoned with meat broth.
- One quail egg (possible with protein) and rice porridge cooked in milk (if the puppy tolerates milk well).
- Omelet and meat with boiled vegetables.
- Porridge “Hercules”.
How to define obesity
- if there are no fat deposits and folds, then you are doing everything right;
- ideally, the ribs should be palpable with a finger underneath a small layer of fat. Otherwise, where does the baby get energy for accomplishments in a new day??
As for the increased dosage of feeding, this is also possible, for example, if the dog frolics every day on the street with other dogs, or there is a small child in the family with whom the dog spends all his free time.
You need to add very little food. if one feeding for the puppy averages 40 grams, then the increased portion should not exceed 60 grams.
To prevent the puppy from becoming overgrown with fat, it is necessary to introduce minerals and various types of feeding into the diet, which play an important role in the formation of the dog’s skeletal system. Do not overdo it. consult a trusted doctor, otherwise a large amount of feeding will have the opposite effect. the skeleton will become fragile and brittle, and the legs are prone to periodic fractures. By the way, this rarely happens in adult dogs. The body adapts and copes with the excess of vitamins on its own. it just brings them out.
When composing a diet, think not only about how high-calorie foods you offer your four-legged friend, but also about the safety of their use. And here we are faced with a dilemma: to cook products or serve natural food raw? When it comes to fish and meat, of course, it is better to boil it in slightly salted water. It is impossible to check meat and fish yourself for the presence of helminths and infections, therefore, in order to preserve and increase the health of a York puppy, we offer him only a thoroughly cooked product, previously cleaned of bones and skin.
If oatmeal is used, it is better not just to pour it over with boiling water, but to boil it well. the puppy will eat such porridge with pleasure and even lick a bowl. Make it a rule to give meat. rabbit, turkey, beef. only in the evening, then a well-fed baby will not wake you up at night. Before serving, the meat should be cut into small pieces, but at the same time not turned into porridge. It is better to give up bones up to 2 years old completely. they can not only injure the esophagus, but also cause intestinal disorders.
Vegetable salads are advised by breeders to cook from pumpkin, zucchini, cucumbers and carrots. If the puppy has itchy teeth, be sure to treat him to a small piece of carrot. you will see how he will like such a vitamin “comb”.
All dishes must be served boiled, stewed or lightly fried; to give an unusual taste, it is sometimes allowed to season food with vegetable oil. Sour cream can make a york upset stomach.
How to properly feed York puppies up to 2 months
Some owners, purchasing a Yorkshire Terrier puppy, not only do not know how to feed the baby properly, but, in order to avoid excess weight, keep him in a strict body. This cannot be done. with a deficiency of nutrients and nutrition in the right amount, the puppy will not be able to lead an active lifestyle, it will sleep a lot. With such pets, they often come to a veterinarian with problems with hair loss and many sores that literally stick to a four-legged friend.
To prevent this from happening, focus on feeding a puppy at the age of 1 month with mother’s breast milk. Doctors recommend that the dog is saturated with breast milk vitamins for up to 1.5 months. Only in this way can he form a more or less protective barrier against infections and environmental surprises.
At 2 months, you can already switch to feed, the number of feedings should be at least 6 times a day. Fractional nutrition will allow the digestive system to process food a little, which means that assimilation will be the most intense and at the same time easy. Some veterinarians even advise not to limit the York puppy in food at least the first months of life. let the bowl be full all the time. dogs rarely suffer from greed, so your pet will not eat too much.
Knowing what you need to feed a York puppy for 2 months is useful, but it also does not hurt to decide on a list of prohibited foods:
- Sweets, flour products, cakes, lump sugar. cause lacrimation and suppuration of the eyes in puppies. The liver function after prolonged experiments also leaves much to be desired.
- It is better to undersalt a dish than to oversalt.
- Spices, preservatives, herbs and even flavorings are contraindicated for both toddlers and adult dogs.
- The taboo applies to pork, and not only because of the high fat content of meat. Dog distemper is too often found in pork, and it is not tolerated by the liver.
- York loves raw potatoes, so 1 small potato can be fed a couple of times a week.
- Puppies need to be saturated with useful micronutrients of milk until the age of 4 months, then Yorkies develop intolerance to the product. If the baby is sick from milk from the very birth, you should not stuff it just because the neighbor’s dog does not have such a reaction.
- Get ready for the fact that the doggie will first beg. sit down near the table and ask to be given something tasty. Do not allow yourself “harmful” pity, because it really hurts the health of the Yorkie.
Whether to give dry food
The food is designed to ensure the health of the miniature dog and remain safe for the digestive system, maintain the health of the teeth in the best indicators and help the body’s natural defense mechanisms do their job.