General recommendations for healthy eating
The quality of feeding the toy terrier determines its development, health and coat.
In addition to the fact that food should be complete and balanced, the following rules should be adhered to:
- Feeding should take place at the same time every day;
- There should always be clean drinking water freely available;
- Food should be at room temperature or slightly warmer;
- Treats and treats can only be given during main meals;
- It is forbidden to feed the dog from the common table;
- Food should be prepared from fresh, high quality ingredients without added spices and salt;
- If food remains in the bowl after a meal, the portion should be reduced, if it is not enough, increase.
The appearance of the pet can be judged on the correct feeding.
A healthy toy terrier should have a shiny coat, clear eyes, normal appetite and regular bowel movements. For any negative changes in behavior or appearance, you should contact your veterinarian.
A three-month-old puppy should eat 4 times a day, and his diet remains unchanged, only the portion size should be increased by 1.5 times.
At this age, you need to stop giving the puppy milk. it is not absorbed by adult dogs.
From 4 to 10 months, Toy Terriers should be fed 3 times a day, and after 11 months they should be transferred to two meals a day.
Pros and cons of natural food
The natural diet, in addition to the absence of harmful chemical additives in it, has a number of other advantages:
- The owner has the opportunity to independently choose products for the pet, based on their quality and freshness;
- Such food is better absorbed, and all the substances necessary for the health of the dog are of natural origin;
- In the event of an allergy to one of the products on the menu, it can be replaced with a similar content of macro- and microelements, avoiding a complete change of diet.
In addition, natural food is varied and minimizes the chances of your dog getting bored of food.
This type of feeding also has disadvantages:
- It will not be possible to cook food for future use. stale food loses all useful components, and in some cases it can cause poisoning;
- Additional intake of vitamins and minerals is required;
- A balanced menu cannot be compiled without certain knowledge.
Such a diet is also inconvenient for people who often travel with a pet.
For feeding toy terriers, only high-class products are suitable. not lower than premium.
When choosing food for a pet, you must focus on the labels on the packaging (Mini or Small) and the composition: in the first place in the list of ingredients, the source of animal protein in an amount of at least 40-50% must be indicated, then fruits and vegetables or foods containing fiber.
The composition of high-quality dry food should include:
- At least 5 carbohydrate sources;
- At least 2 sources of protein;
- Not less than 3 types of fruits, vegetables;
- Enzymes, Probiotics, Vitamins and Minerals.
The list of the most suitable food for representatives of this breed:
- Pet Nutrition;
- Royal canin.
It is necessary to select food individually for each dog. what suits one toy terrier well may not suit another.
The natural diet of toy terriers should be based on animal protein: raw (frozen in advance or treated with boiling water) or boiled meat, offal or fish.
Suitable for representatives of this breed are beef, turkey, veal, chicken, sea fish.
Of course, only meat cannot be on the menu. nutrition consisting in the use of only this product does not provide the dog with all the necessary substances and contributes to constipation, calcium leaching and other health problems.
The toy terrier’s diet should include:
- Buckwheat, rice or oatmeal;
- By-products. kidneys, heart, liver, scar;
- Vegetables. carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, pumpkin, broccoli;
- Berries and fruits. pears, apples, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, melon;
- Fermented milk products. cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk.
You should also give your pet:
- Fresh herbs. dill, parsley;
- Raw or boiled yolk. every 3-4 days;
- Honey. maximum once a week;
- Sunflower or olive oil. 1-2 drops twice a week.
From time to time, you can give your dog a small amount of seeds, unsalted nuts, black bread croutons.
What is categorically contraindicated
It is forbidden to include in the diet of toy terriers:
- Pork and other fatty meats;
- Sausage and smoked products;
- River fish;
- Sour cream;
- Raw eggs;
- Boiled potatoes;
- Pickles and marinades;
- Pasta and bakery products;
- Tea coffee;
- Raisins, grapes;
- Tubular bones.
The use of these products can lead to poisoning, the development of allergic reactions and other health problems.
Feeding prepared industrial feed also has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages of this type of food:
- The special composition with which the granules of dry food are coated helps to prevent dental diseases, eliminating plaque and calculus;
- You can control the amount of calories consumed;
- Convenience of storage and use;
- Constant balanced composition;
- The ability to choose the right food based on the age, size, lifestyle and level of physical activity of the pet.
The disadvantages of finished feeds include their high cost when it comes to high-quality products of well-known brands.
Economy-class food is not suitable for feeding toy terriers due to the content of meat waste, grain crops, flavors, dyes and flavor enhancers.
In addition to dry food, wet foods are also presented on the modern market. they contain up to 80% liquid, which has a positive effect on the digestive tract of a pet, but reduces its nutritional value and shortens the shelf life.
Ready-made feed, depending on the composition, can be of different classes:
- Economy. practically do not contain meat, and a small amount of it is of low quality, possibly soy, dyes, flavor enhancers, legumes, preservatives;
- Premium. the composition contains meat and vegetables, but it is not enriched with vitamins and minerals;
- Super-premium. these feeds contain the required amount of natural antioxidants, herbs, probiotics, vitamins, they are made from high quality meat and by-products.
Also, each brand has separate lines of hypoallergenic feed and holistic. products containing several types of meat, vegetables, fruits, digestive enzymes, pre- and probiotics, vitamins and minerals.
Natural food or artificial feed?
Toy Terriers are miniature dogs that require little food. At the same time, small portions should contain everything necessary for the healthy growth and development of the puppy.
It is important to maintain a balance of proteins, fats, vitamins, carbohydrates, fiber, fatty acids and minerals.
At home, representatives of this breed can be fed both with natural products and industrial feed, the main thing is not to allow mixing of both types of food.
The advantage of natural feeding is its variety, the absence of flavors, dyes and other chemical additives.
Ready-made food, in turn, is popular due to its ease of use and balanced composition, containing everything necessary for the harmonious development of the dog.
Feeding the puppy
The number of feedings and the products necessary for the development of a toy terrier depend on its age.
Premium ready-made feed
Most of the owners of these animals opt for such feed. They are well balanced and available. Almost every brand has a line of ready-made products of this class, so the owner of the Russian Toy Terrier will select a suitable option. Part of the ready-made dog food on the market is not inferior in quality to super-premium food, and some, on the contrary, differ little from the products of the economy segment.
In order not to be mistaken with the choice, you need to study the composition of the product. In addition to meat components, which usually account for about 30%, premium feed contains Category 2 offal. Unfortunately, many manufacturers do not tell the consumer which specific meat ingredients were used to make their products. Rice is usually the main ingredient in this category.
This class of feed contains more animal proteins than cheaper ones. However, chemical components are often used in their manufacture. The list of the most popular among breeders of representatives of this breed of premium dry food includes such brands as “Royal Canin”, “Hills”, “Pro Plan”, “Purina One”, “Dog Chow”, “Brit Premium”.
Menu for a toy terrier for 3 days with recipes
It is recommended to think over the pet’s diet in advance. You can cook food for him for future use. When it is completely cool, it is divided into single portions, frozen and then thawed if necessary. You can use the recipes available in various sources, or you can invent new dishes from permitted ingredients. The table shows an example of a menu for a toy terrier for 3 days:
|Day of week||Dishes calculated for the day||Some recipes|
|Monday||Chicken hearts with rice and vegetables, cottage cheese, apple, some black bread croutons, buckwheat porridge seasoned with butter||Chicken hearts with rice and vegetables||Mix the boiled offal with a mixture of bell pepper, carrot and vegetable marrow stewed with grits.|
|Tuesday||Sour milk, banana, oatmeal, boiled fish with vegetables, oat soup||Thick oat soup||Boil vegetables in meat broth, adding some oatmeal to the pan a few minutes before the end of cooking. Before feeding the dog, let the dish brew so that the flakes have time to swell.|
|Wednesday||Kefir, pear, rice porridge, tripe, chicken breasts with vegetables||Chicken breasts with vegetables||Boil the breast, chop and mix with stewed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, zucchini).|
Prohibited and unwanted foods
Representatives of this breed cannot be offered:
- Fat meat;
- River and raw fish;
- Pasta, confectionery and bakery products;
- Sour cream, cream and butter;
- Sweet, pickled, salty, smoked, spicy dishes;
- Tea coffee;
- Tubular bones;
- Barley and barley porridge;
- Egg white;
- Exotic fruits.
The better to feed a Russian Toy puppy?
Toy Terrier puppies can be fed with ready-to-eat foods or natural foods. In both cases, the food must be of high quality. The diet of puppies differs in the frequency of feeding: they eat more often than adult dogs. At the same time, they need much less food than mature relatives. The food itself also differs: babies are given chopped food, gradually increasing the size of the pieces.
Natural feeding: monthly diet
If you plan to feed your little toy terrier with natural products, you should adhere to the rules for making a diet:
- Monthly puppies begin to feed with goat or cow milk, low-fat broth, boiled minced meat with broth.
- Starting from 2 months, the baby can already be treated with calcined low-fat cottage cheese, sour milk products, raw meat, chopped and scalded with boiling water. Two-month-olds usually continue to feed on breast milk.
- At 3 months of age, the puppy’s menu can include vegetable soup with meat broth, raw quail eggs, raw chicken yolk or omelet, rice and buckwheat porridge.
- At 4–6 months, little toys are fed not too sweet fruits and berries, boiled offal (liver, heart, tripe), fresh and cooked vegetables, except for potatoes and cabbage. Milk is no longer offered.
- The menu for puppies over 6 months of age, in addition to the products listed above, includes dishes from beef, poultry, rabbit, sea boiled fish, herbs, bran.
Super premium feed
This is an elite food containing first grade ingredients. They contain:
- Chicken, turkey, lamb, chicken meat;
- Chicken eggs;
- Beet pulp;
- First category offal.
Some feeds use food additives that are used to make food for humans. Elite food has a number of advantages:
- Do not require supplementing the menu with vitamin complexes;
- They take into account the peculiarities of digestion, metabolic processes, the dog’s needs for vitamins and minerals;
- than 80% absorbed;
- Contains no chemical components;
- Do not provoke allergies.
Thanks to a special heat treatment technology, proteins and fats are preserved in the feed in the most natural form. Vitamin E is used to stabilize high-quality fats. From the elite food available, toy owners choose “1 st Choice”, “Trainer”, “Josera”, “Monge”, “Brit Care“, “Gina”, “Eukanuba”.
When caring for your pet, it is important to provide it with a balanced diet. When developing a feeding scheme for a puppy, several points must be taken into account:
- Multiplicity (how many times a day food is required);
- Single serving volume;
- Food quality.
Small toys should not be given exclusively hard or soft foods. It is better to alternate the varieties of ready-made feeds (dry, wet, canned). It is recommended to transfer the baby to soft ready-made products no earlier than 1-1.5 months. Dry food is included in the diet only after the completion of the process of changing teeth. This is allowed if the crumbs do not have chronic pathologies of the oral cavity and the bite is correctly formed.
The list of best-selling ready-to-eat puppy foods of this breed includes: “Eagle Pack”, “Holistik”, “Acana”, “Orijen”, “1st Choice”, “Monge”, “Eukanuba”. Information about how often you need to feed toy babies is presented in the table:
|Puppy age, months||Daily frequency of feeding, times||Feeding time, hours|
|Up to 2||6||7.00, 10.00, 13.00, 16.00, 19.00, 22.00|
|2-4||five||7.00, 10.00, 14.00, 18.00, 22.00|
|4-6||4||7.00, 12.00, 17.00, 22.00|
|6-12||3||7.00, 13.00, 21.00|
|Over 12||2||7.00, 21.00|
Occasionally, a pet can be pampered:
- Not too salty cheese;
- Dried unsalted meat;
- Honey. no more than 1 time per week;
- Unsalted nuts;
- Croutons from a black loaf;
- Sunflower seeds.
The listed products can be offered that rarely and in very small quantities. The desire to pamper the dog can turn into serious problems for his digestion. You can buy pre-made treats for your dog, such as dog sausages or cookies.
Feeding a toy terrier at home: how to feed a puppy and an adult dog. ready-made food or natural food?
Having decided to get a toy terrier, you should think about the nutrition of the dog. The principles of feeding a puppy and an adult dog differ: if a growing body needs balanced food for proper development, then a sexually mature pet needs food containing all the necessary elements to maintain good physical shape. Going to the nursery for a four-legged family member, you should find out what to feed the toy terrier, what products are contraindicated for him, and which ones are allowed to be given only occasionally.
How to feed a Yorkshire terrier
Yorkshire Terriers are funny little pets that act as companions. Owners should take care of the crumbs and take care not only of their beautiful coat, but also to their diet, too. And here there are a number of subtleties that should be considered when choosing a balanced menu for a pet. So, let’s figure out how to feed a Yorkshire Terrier.
Natural products for Yorkies
If the owner intends to feed his tiny pet with natural products, then all the necessary vitamins and trace elements should be present in the diet. In addition, it is important to pay attention to the combination of protein, carbohydrate and fatty foods.
Like other predatory animals, yes, these darlings are also predators, the basis of the diet should be meat. It is given raw after scalding it with boiling water. Among the most desirable types of meat are veal, beef, chicken breast. Boiled cereals. buckwheat and rice. should take 25% of the diet. A Yorkie should be given 1 yolk of a hard-boiled egg. chicken or quail. How many times a day? Better to reply weekly. About 2-3 times a week.
It should be noted that fermented milk products must be present in the diet of the Yorkshire Terrier. It can be low-fat kefir, cottage cheese with the addition of calcium, fermented baked milk, yogurt without additives. Although the dogs themselves mostly eat it, this selectivity of pets usually does not greatly disturb the owners, since they are happy to eat vegetable and fruit dishes. over, dogs like them both raw and boiled.
Veterinarians also advise treating your dog with fish and seafood at least once a week. Yorkies do not refuse shrimp, squid, which are sources of minerals and iodine. There are proportions that should be adhered to so that the dog gets everything it needs:
- 1/2. animal protein;
- 1/4. fruit and vegetable food;
- 1/4. cereals.
Cook the above ingredients separately and then mix. The list of foods allowed for feeding Yorkshire terriers includes the following:
- Meat products and offal: calf meat, beef, chicken fillet, chicken hearts and liver, beef heart and liver.
- Porridge. made from rice, buckwheat, wheat, millet. You can cook prefabricated dishes.
- Fresh and boiled vegetables. white cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, spinach leaves, pieces of pumpkin, zucchini, beets.
- Fresh greens. parsley, onion, dill.
- From fruit, Yorkies can be given some bananas, apples, melons, watermelons, persimmons.
- From fish, you can include flounder, tuna, herring in the diet.
It is recommended to cut food for small pets into small slices, it must be freshly prepared. It is better to give it warm. With natural nutrition, a four-legged friend should receive additional feeding containing vitamins and minerals.
What shouldn’t be in a Yorkie’s diet
In fact, many of the foods are completely unsuitable for feeding dogs, including Yorkshire terriers. Some of them are frankly harmful, others are not absorbed by the dog’s body at all, others are akin to poison, which kills a pet slowly but surely. So that little york should never eat?
- Dishes for the dog should be prepared without salt, pepper, oriental spices, sugar and all kinds of seasonings.
- Fish must be saltwater, but not freshwater.
- Fatty meats are excluded, especially lamb, beef and pork belly.
- Sausages and smoked meats, beloved by all four-legged pets, are extremely harmful for Yorkies.
- Among vegetables, it is undesirable for dogs to give turnips, among fruits. citrus.
- Any sweet food is also strictly prohibited.
- You shouldn’t give pasta, a loaf and other wheat flour pastries to York.
- The raw egg white is not digested by the dog’s stomach at all.
- Milk in an adult pet can cause diarrhea;
- Meat, mushroom broths are hard food for a dog.
You can’t give a Yorkie bones, especially tubular and other bones with cavities (more about what bones can be given to a dog).
Ready-made rations for Yorkshire Terriers
Despite the fact that dry food has become a part of the life of dog breeders and the diets of their pets, there is no consensus on feeding them to Yorkshire terriers. Many veterinarians strongly discourage feeding your Yorkshire Terrier puppy by drying only. But the owners found a way out in this situation, alternating dry granules with a canned product.
You should choose high quality food. premium or super-premium. Given the size of the Yorkies, this should be a small breed diet. Among the popular brands that are most often chosen by owners of Yorkshire terriers, the following can be noted:
- Royal Canin. in the line of these French foods you can find two rations suitable for Yorkies. Mini Edelt 27 for small breeds and Mini Sensible for small dogs with digestive problems.
- Origent is a Canadian product whose manufacturers care not only about the benefits, but also about the taste of the diet.
- Mera Dog. US food contains a number of antioxidants that protect dogs from adverse environmental conditions.
- Akana is a high quality food from Canada.
The advantages of feed are obvious. they are developed taking into account the needs of certain breeds, they have the most balanced various ingredients and the calculation of the portion is extremely simplified. What cannot be said about natural products.
The owner chooses how to feed the Yorkshire Terrier at home, however, you should focus on the needs and taste preferences of a four-legged friend.
What can not be fed
When composing a menu for a Russian toy, they take into account what is harmful and useful for him. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with how to regale a mini dog is unacceptable.
What you don’t need to give:
- Pork, other types of fatty meats;
- River fish (often infested with parasites, contains many sharp bones);
- Sausage, sausages;
- Smoked products;
- Spicy, salty, pickled foods;
- Pasta, baked goods;
- Coffee Tea;
- Citrus, exotic fruits;
- Raisins, grapes;
- Peas (causes flatulence in the intestines);
- Potatoes (contains a lot of starch), mushrooms.
Feeding dry prepared food
Prepared dry food. fully balanced rations. Additional baits are not required with such a diet. You can saturate your pet with dry or soaked granules.
Advantages of dry feeding:
- Prevention of dental problems (chewing “drying” gets rid of plaque, calculus, causing damage to teeth).
- Ability to control calories consumed.
- Convenience (you do not need to often buy food, paint a diet, cook, you can take it for a walk, on a trip).
- Hygiene (dry food will not stain the dog, its bedding and the owner).
- Consistency, balance of the composition, which has a positive effect on digestion, regularity of the stool.
- Variety of food, covering any age, size, lifestyle.
Unfortunately, no matter how well-known the brand is, no matter how balanced the composition of the food, the toy terrier can have problems. If your dog has increased tearing, the dog is tormented by persistent itching, the coat has become dull or oily, and the stool has acquired an unusual color and an unpleasant odor. this indicates that the food is not suitable, it needs to be changed urgently.
What should be contained in a quality dry food
The ingredients of a good feed must be certain ingredients. A high quality product includes:
- At least five sources of carbohydrates (for example, rice, rolled oats, flaxseed);
- than two sources of protein (beef, fish, chicken);
- At least three types of fruits and vegetables;
- Enzymes and probiotics (bacteria that suppress harmful microflora in the intestines, digest food, absorb nutrients);
- Vitamin and mineral supplements.
If the Toy Terrier has a tendency to consume a small amount of water, it is better to prefer canned food. It will prevent urinary tract diseases and dehydration.
It is allowed to mix dry and wet food or canned food if they are issued by the same trade mark.
All animals have different needs and characteristics of the body. Not every most expensive and highly publicized product is right for your dog. Check out some of the veterinarian recommendations for the best dog food.
L. Rudnitskaya, veterinarian: “When buying, pay attention to the amount of protein indicated on the package. Large protein confirms the high quality of the product. The cereals indicated in the first place make it possible to classify feed as an economy product. Cereals are poorly digested, have low nutritional value, only dull the feeling of hunger, filling the stomach. The low quality of feed is evidenced by the presence of preservatives, dyes, food flavorings. These substances are carcinogenic. Undermining the health of the dog, can cause anemia, allergies, itching.
Super Premium Granules contain natural antioxidants, herbs, probiotics, vitamins. This includes by-products of the highest category: liver, heart of cattle, poultry.
Sometimes even the best prepared food is harmful to the dog. An allergic reaction caused by any component indicates an intolerance to any of the ingredients. In this case, they select another food or transfer the animal to natural.
Products of the Holistic class include several types of meat, vegetables, fruits, digestive enzymes that help quick and better digestion of food, pro and prebiotics, fortified complexes. Such food is good for animals and will not harm human health. For feeding toy terriers I recommend brands: Go naturel, Origen, Earthborn. ” https://zoolog.Guru/domashnie-zhivotnye/sobaki/pitanie-sobak/mnenie-veterinarov-kakoy-korm-dlya-sobak-samyy-luchshiy.html
V. Olshansky, veterinarian: “The complete food“ Purina PRO PLAN ”for dogs provides good nutrition. When feeding, no additional introduction of nutrients is required. The company produces healthy snacks for treating pets, and special biscuits for training. Lines of food for animals with sensitive digestion have been developed. Granules do not contain components that cause fat accumulation, excess weight formation. Provide a regular feeding regimen, daily intake. The food is suitable for feeding those who like to eat tightly. toy terriers. And the availability of healthy treats will be appreciated by owners who love to pamper their pet with goodies. ”https://www.Proplan.ru/dog/article/pochemu-sobakam-ne-podhodit-domashnyaya-eda/
The better to feed a toy terrier, you can find the answer here. You can feed a doggie with natural products and ready-made dry or wet factory feed. The choice of the type of food for a toy terrier is mainly influenced by the availability of free time of the owner of the dog and the ability to compose a diet.
Economy class feed
Using drying feeding, it is strictly forbidden to regale the Toy Terrier with economy class pellets. These feeds have one advantage. They are affordable for everyone. But there is no meat in cheap pellets. A large proportion of the product is made up of pea flour, other components that are difficult for digestion and animal health: ground skins, bones, artificial stabilizers, dyes, and flavorings. There is no benefit from feeding with cheap dry food. Economy granules: Pedigri, Chappie, Darlings, Happy Dog. fill the stomach volume, only creating the illusion of satiety.
What can you give
The basis of the diet of a toy terrier, as a predator, should be meat. It has optimal protein. But besides him, other foods are useful. For a responsible owner, the question of what a toy terrier can eat should come first when caring for a pet. Veterinarians and breeders with extensive experience in breeding and keeping these dogs will be able to give you competent recommendations on the nutrition of mini dogs.
- Beef meat, rabbit meat. Can I feed chicken? It depends if you are allergic to bird protein.
- By-products (kidney, heart, beef liver, tripe).
- Sea white fish.
- Milk (drink only puppies, young toychiks).
- Fermented milk products: cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, fermented baked milk, kefir, yogurt.
- Dried black loaf.
- Salt (just a little). Better to use marine.
- Soaked and slightly cooked cereals (buckwheat, rolled oats, rice).
- Egg yolks.
- Vegetables (carrots, cabbage, pumpkin, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes), greens.
- Fruits, berries.
- Seeds, unsalted nuts in small quantities.
- Garlic (once a week, give a few finely chopped cloves), as an anthelmintic and antiparasitic agent.
- Industrial feed compositions, not lower than premium.
Why not eat
Sometimes Toychik, who is previously happy to eat a portion of food and begging for supplements, refuses to eat. You should watch your pet. If the baby does not eat, but at the same time is active and happily rushes about on the street, there is no need to worry. Perhaps it’s just a dog’s whims. A dog may eat poorly if he is tired of the usual food, or, conversely, the new food does not arouse his appetite. The menu is corrected, bored food is removed, a new product is temporarily removed.
Refusal to eat can be caused by heat or stress due to a change of residence or loss of a host. This is a serious shake-up for the canine body. But over time, the dog will get used to it. During this period, the doggie especially needs affection and care.
It happens that dogs do not eat well during puberty, estrus or pregnancy, when the hormonal background of the animal changes.
Nervousness, aggression of the owner towards the pet during feeding can cause him negative associations with food, the dog will be afraid to approach the bowl of food and eat. You should be more patient with your little friend.
But, there are serious symptoms that cannot be ignored. What should be alarming:
- Toychik has chills, high or low temperature;
- The baby’s tummy is seething, frequent regurgitation, profuse vomiting are observed;
- The chair became more frequent, became liquid, with admixtures of greenery, mucus, blood;
- The eyes are reddened, festering;
- The dog not only refuses to eat, but also does not drink;
- Severe itching;
- Hair loss, skin rashes;
- Unmotivated aggression, attempts to hide in a secluded place.
Even one of these signs, or a combination of several, may indicate the development of a severe disease that can cause a quick death.
Features of the diet for small breeds
Toy terriers, despite their small weight, can eat raw meat, which they do with great pleasure. But experienced owners do not give kids just purchased raw beef. The meat is cut into portions and put into the freezer, which is necessary to destroy the parasites that may be in the meat.
In addition, before feeding the meat to the dog, it is not only thawed, but also scalded with boiling water. Some hosts cook meat in boiling unsalted water for 5 minutes.
You can do the same with fish and cottage cheese. divide it into portions and put it in the freezer, and give it to the animal after defrosting it. By-products are good for dogs, they are not frozen, but poured over with boiling water or boiled for several minutes.
No spices are added to porridges that are given to toy terriers, as well as stewed vegetables. The exception is that sea salt on the tip of a teaspoon is added to the porridge, but this is rarely done. If the dog eats yogurt, then it should not contain dyes. Cottage cheese for toy terriers is often taken for children. You can mix meat with porridge (1/3 porridge and 2/3 meat) if the pet does not want to eat pure porridge.
The better to feed a toy terrier
There are two food options for the Toy Terrier. natural or dry. Breeders hold diverse opinions about the benefits of a particular type of feeding, there is no consensus here. But it is important to remember that if in the first months the puppy was on natural food, then accustoming him to dry food should be gradual. During the month you add a little dry food to your diet, replacing one natural food completely with dry food. A smooth transition is important for the dog’s digestive system.
Natural feeding provides additional vitamins, which are prescribed by the veterinarian after examination.
Adult dogs, from 9 months old, are fed 2 times a day. This is best done after morning and evening walks.
If the pet goes to the tray, then you can safely feed it at any time of the morning or evening, the main thing is not to feed it too late in the morning. the toy terrier should not starve. Serving size is determined by the weight of the animal. about 80 grams of feed per 1 kg of body weight.
Natural feeding can be varied as desired: in the morning give meat and porridge, in the evening. vegetables or cottage cheese, the next day you can replace dairy food with fish. Food for a small pet should be as healthy and complete as possible. Many owners note that the diet of the pets prompted them to change their own nutritional model. Indeed, in fact, toy terrier nutrition is what almost every trainer in the gym will offer to switch to a dietary and healthy diet. The food should be fresh and prepared daily. you cannot feed the dogs with weekly fresh porridge.
Dry food for toy terriers. which is better?
Veterinarians are of the opinion that the main thing in the choice of dry food should be the selection of food specifically for small breed dogs. These feeds contain the entire range of vitamins a baby needs. It is worth choosing premium brands. Trusted toy terrier food manufacturers are Purina, Royal Canin, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Orijen, etc.
The selection of the correct feed consists in choosing a product that contains several types of cereals, 2-3 types of meat (chicken and beef), vitamins, dry vegetables and fruits. All this will provide the toy terrier with the energy he needs so much. Breeders do not advise alternating between natural feeding and dry food.
If the dog eats only dry food, sometimes it can be given fermented milk products (cottage cheese, kefir).
What to feed a toy terrier: features of the diet
Toy Terriers belong to the breed of dogs that are considered puppies, even if the dog is already an adult. Small smooth-haired dogs fascinated, above all, women from all over the world.
Toy terrier can be carried in a bag (it is important to remember that a pet carrier must be designed for these purposes) to various events, take it with you to visit, to a cafe. Kids love the attention of their owners most of all in life and are happy to be with them all the time.
The popularity of the breed in the world is great, but small dogs require an even more responsible approach from the owner. Improper feeding can lead to stomach and intestinal problems. Toy terriers do not complain about health when following the correct diet and walking in clothes during the cold season.
Despite its size and fragile constitution, the basis of the diet for this breed is meat. Toy terriers are incredibly active dogs that spend a huge amount of energy during the day, as a result of which they are constantly ready to eat more.
But overfeeding your pet is not worth it, as obesity will dramatically reduce life expectancy. It is important to balance food in terms of protein, carbohydrate and fat composition.
The standard for toy terriers appeared at the end of the 20th century, according to it, the weight of the dog does not exceed 3 kg, and the height reaches 20–28 cm. If the dog is below the declared height, then its weight should not exceed 1.5–2 kg. Portions for adult pets are weighed on an electronic kitchen scale, which will greatly help in determining the portion weight. For every kilogram of animal weight, there should be 65-80 grams of food.
What can and cannot be fed
Mandatory components in the diet of a toy terrier will be beef and chicken meat. You can also note the following products allowed for consumption:
- Lamb, offal;
- Cottage cheese, kefir;
- Natural yoghurt (no dyes or sugar);
- Rice, buckwheat, rolled oats;
- Fish, exclusively seafood. salmon, pollock;
- Zucchini, carrots, beets, tomatoes;
- Dill, parsley;
- Chicken yolk (must be cooked!);
- Honey (no more than 1 time per week);
- Vegetable or olive oil (1-2 drops, 2 times a week);
- Bananas, apples.
Generally speaking, the toy terrier is prohibited from any food from the master’s table, which contains sugar and salt in excess. The list can be supplemented with the following foods, feeding which will cause not only allergies in the dog, but also lead to serious illnesses:
- Sausages, fried meat, smoked meats;
- Spicy foods, condiments, ketchup, sauces and mayonnaise;
- Chips, croutons, biscuits;
- Chocolate, sweets;
- Pasta, loaf;
- Pork and any fatty meat;
- Raw offal and raw fish;
- Potatoes and legumes;
- A raw egg.
It is worth noting that small breeds require careful and special treatment both in nutrition and in handling. Toy terriers are practically dependent on the owner on a psychological level. they are very fond of attention, they are afraid of large objects, loud noise. Therefore, it is important to provide the baby with a carefree existence.
Monitor the well-being and general condition of the dog, do not keep it hungry. If your pet eats a portion too quickly, increase it by 10-15 grams, which will let you know if he needs additional nutrition.
But it is important to remember about the ratio of height and weight, the toy terrier should not be swollen or have an inflated belly. The dog must always be graceful, active. If the pet does not eat for more than a day, it is necessary to take the animal to the veterinarian. A healthy and nutritious diet will give your dog a life expectancy of 13-18 years.