Dog pregnancy by day: signs and symptoms
How to tell if a dog is pregnant? The signs of pregnancy depend on the length of time. So until the third week, practically no changes are noticeable, except, perhaps, drowsiness and apathy.
- By 25-30 days in the area of the mammary glands, the skin swells and the glands themselves become clearly visible or pink in dogs with light skin. In the area behind the ribs, there may be a noticeable increase in the abdomen.
- With the help of ultrasound, pregnancy is diagnosed from 21-24 days. It is already possible to see amniotic bubbles with embryos on the screen of the ultrasound machine.
- Signs of pregnancy become apparent after the 29th day. The mammary glands are greatly enlarged, and 7-10 days before childbirth, experienced mothers have milk. Only a dog with a first pregnancy can produce milk during childbirth or a few hours before.
- From the 33rd day, the weight of the expectant mother begins to increase dramatically.
- At the 6-7th week of pregnancy (between 38-45 days), individual fetuses are probed in the uterus, the ribs and bones of the skull of the embryos are different. During this period, using X-rays, you can accurately determine the number of puppies. This is especially important for large litters.
This is an especially difficult test for a young dog. The first pregnancy may last longer than subsequent pregnancies and may be more difficult.
The owner of a young bitch should not rely on “nature”, since domesticated animals are not at all the same as in natural conditions. And not everyone survives in the forest, but only the healthiest and strongest.
Therefore, you need to plan your first pregnancy for three to four months.
During this time, the animal should have well-developed muscles, drive off excess fat, carefully select a diet, make all vaccinations and destroy fleas and worms in time.
After the first birth, the dog may behave too restlessly: jump up, run around the room or enclosure, as if “not knowing” what to do with the puppies. The owner does not need to worry, it will go away in 7-10 days. It is necessary to put the dog to the puppies and make sure that it does not accidentally injure the kids.
The anxiety of a dog who has given birth for the first time is often associated with the fact that she has a lot of milk, and too small puppies are not able to suck it all off. When they get stronger the dog will calm down.
False pregnancy in dogs: symptoms and treatment
This is a syndrome of physiological and mental disorders in the female’s body, which are caused by abnormalities in the activity of the gonads.
Outwardly, a false pregnancy is very similar to a normal one: the pigmentation of the mammary glands changes, the belly grows, and colostrum appears. However, in reality, there is no pregnancy.
The only sign by which an inexperienced dog breeder can distinguish a false pregnancy is the absence of fetal movement in the dog’s belly. Experienced cinematographers also notice the bitch’s excessive agitation. She’s going crazy. With special enthusiasm, he builds a “nest” for himself, with special care takes care of pseudo-puppies: soft toys, etc.
She goes to the street reluctantly, and upon her return she immediately rushes to look after her “puppies”.
With such manifestations of motherhood, you must contact your veterinarian. However, the owner can also hasten the end of the imaginary pregnancy. To do this, you cannot express milk from the mammary glands, you need to exclude dairy products from the diet, more often distract the bitch from her “maternal concerns”, give sedatives.
You can read more about this in the article: False puppies in dogs.
Dog pregnancy: everything an owner needs to know
Pregnancy of a dog is the period of development of a fertilized egg in a future puppy, right up to the moment of his birth. For the animal’s body, this is always stress and during this period chronic diseases may worsen or new health problems arise.
The load on the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, liver and kidneys increases.
How long does pregnancy last in dogs??
Normal pregnancy in dogs lasts 60-62 days. However, viable puppies can be born earlier. from day 58, or later. up to 72 days. This may be due to the individual characteristics of the bitch’s body.
The cause of premature birth before the 58th day may be trauma, latent disease, poor readiness of the bitch for pregnancy: exhaustion, excessive obesity, too young or too old an organism.
If the bitch has not given birth on her own before 72 days, then she will need prompt help (caesarean section).
How To Identify Dog False Pregnancy
Termination of pregnancy in a dog
As for the consequences of unplanned mating and the possibility of abortion, veterinarians in this matter are divided into two camps. Some believe that it is better to get rid of unnecessary puppies, others that for a bitch a healthier process is childbirth, and not termination of pregnancy.
For interruption, the drug Mesalin is used. It is an estrogenic drug or a steroid hormone with an active substance. estradiol benzoate. It is injected intramuscularly on the 3rd and 5th day after mating, and if the mating time is unknown, then also on the 7th day.
Contraindications for this drug have not been established officially, but it has long been noted that after its use, inflammation of the uterus, bleeding, frozen pregnancies, prolongation of estrus duration, various hormonal disruptions are possible.
Therefore, many veterinarians still advise giving birth to a dog, and placing puppies in good hands.
Duration of pregnancy in dogs. How to tell if your dog is pregnant.
Pregnancy in dogs lasts an average of 61-66 days, that is, approximately 2 months, however, depending on the individual characteristics of the organism, the duration of pregnancy can vary from 57 to 72 days. In the first 1. 1.5 weeks after mating, it is almost impossible to know for sure whether a dog is pregnant. Clinical signs of pregnancy (i.e., those that are visible with the naked eye) appear only from the second month, however, in some cases, there are such indirect symptoms as drowsiness, lethargy, apathy of the dog 2-3 weeks after mating. The first pregnancy in a dog can even visually “appear” almost before the very birth. However, it is not at all necessary to wait a whole month to determine if your dog is pregnant. this can be found out already in the first month after mating with the help of special tests and ultrasound in a veterinary clinic.
Dog pregnancy: early diagnosis, dog pregnancy calendar
In order for the birth to go well, and the puppies to grow up healthy and strong, during the period when the offspring is bearing the dog, the owner must treat it with special attention, following all recommendations for feeding and exercise. Timely diagnosis of the bitch’s pregnancy allows the owner to rebuild her diet and walks as early as possible, taking into account the “interesting position” of the pet.
Diagnosing a dog’s pregnancy with a test
Many veterinary clinics today offer a service such as a pregnancy test for dogs. The procedure is a laboratory analysis of the dog’s blood serum on the hormone “relaxin” in it. By 2-3 weeks of pregnancy, the level of this hormone begins to increase, which is revealed as a result of the analysis. As a rule, a test carried out at 3-4 weeks of pregnancy of a dog is almost 100% reliable.
Diagnosis of pregnancy in bitches using ultrasound
Starting from 24-35 days after mating, it is possible to determine for sure that the dog is pregnant using an ultrasound scan. At this time, ultrasound allows you to clearly see the amniotic sacs with embryos inside on the screen, but with its help it is still impossible to know the exact number of puppies in the future litter. In order to predict the course of pregnancy and assess the viability of the fetus, it is better to do ultrasound for pregnant dogs at a later date. Between about 38 and 45 days, ultrasonographic examination can be used to observe the formation of puppies’ organs and even make out in the smallest detail the ventricles, atria and valves of tiny hearts. With a successful pregnancy, the dog in the fetus has normal mobility and a pronounced heartbeat.
Sometimes the first clinical signs of pregnancy appear by the end of the first month. the skin of the mammary glands slightly swells, the nipples become clearly visible (in dogs with fair skin, they look bright pink). Also, in some dogs, an enlarging belly may begin to show through at this stage. However, quite often these symptoms appear a little later.
Diagnostics of the condition of the bitch and the health of the puppies in late pregnancy
Starting from the second month after mating, the owners no longer need to guess or resort to tests and ultrasound in order to determine whether the dog is pregnant. The bitch begins to gain weight, the mammary glands swell and increase in size, and the belly is already clearly increasing. The dog gains weight especially dramatically three weeks before giving birth. At 6-7 weeks of gestation (38th-45th days), when palpating the abdominal cavity, puppies are already probed (inexperienced owners are not recommended to carry out this procedure on their own in order to avoid injury to the dog and fetuses). For periods from 48-50 days, it is already possible to conduct an X-ray examination, which allows you to accurately determine how many puppies will be born.
Milk during the first pregnancy in a dog may appear only a few hours before giving birth or immediately after them. In a dog not giving birth for the first time, it sometimes begins to stand out already on the 40th day of pregnancy. On average, the onset of lactation is considered normal 7-10 days before delivery.
An important indicator that allows you to diagnose the course of pregnancy and predict the time of onset of labor in a dog is rectal temperature. If in the early stages with the normal development of the fetus the temperature in the dog remains within the normal range, then in the last week of pregnancy the indicators begin to “jump” noticeably. For 8. 24 hours before childbirth, the temperature, as a rule, drops sharply (in large breeds, it can drop to 37 ° C, and in small breeds. up to 36 ° C). The dog’s temperature returns to normal after childbirth.
Dog pregnancy calendar by day
We present to your attention a detailed calendar of a dog’s pregnancy and intrauterine development of puppies from the moment of conception to childbirth.
Attention: the calendar uses the results of pregnancy monitoring of a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. The sizes of fetuses at one stage or another of intrauterine development and the dates indicated in the table are approximate and may differ for dogs of other breeds, sizes and individual characteristics.
Pregnancy period of the dog
Development stages of future puppies
Dog pregnancy by day and week
The detailed course of a dog’s pregnancy by day and week can be tracked in the following table.
Signs of pregnancy in dogs
Many owners ask the question, what are the signs of pregnancy in a dog.
There are no early signs of pregnancy in the dog. At this time, it is impossible to understand whether the bitch will have puppies, neither by probing, nor in appearance.
The first signs of pregnancy in a dog after mating are not related to physical condition, but behavior. The dog may become calmer, more affectionate, and sometimes show signs of ill health.
Signs of pregnancy in a dog most often appear 21 to 22 days after mating. At this time, if you know where to look, you can feel for small lumps on both sides of the abdomen. These lumps are palpable until day 35, and later become soft and difficult to palpate. But by this time, signs of pregnancy include an enlarged belly.
By the 4th. 5th week, signs of pregnancy in the dog include thickening on the sides, the trunk is rounded. But sometimes these signs of pregnancy in a dog are visible only at the 7th week.
During the 5th week, an increase in the nipples is added to the signs of pregnancy in the dog, and at the 6th week, if the bitch lies on its side, the puppies are felt in the horns of the uterus. A sign of pregnancy in a dog at 7 weeks is a significant increase in the mammary glands. In the last week, a sagging belly is added to the signs of pregnancy.
One of the surest signs of pregnancy in a dog is wiggling puppies.
Toxicosis in a dog during pregnancy
Toxicosis in a dog during pregnancy can manifest itself in a mild form during the 3rd. 4th week if the bitch is pregnant for the first time. Toxicosis in a dog during pregnancy lasts 2 to 3 weeks and poses no danger to either the dog or the puppies. Signs of toxicosis in a dog during pregnancy: poor appetite, food selectivity, vomiting of white foam in the morning.
Pregnancy in dogs: answers to all questions!
Discharge in a dog during pregnancy
After mating, the dog should stop in heat, but there are times when the dog has discharge during pregnancy.
If your dog’s discharge during pregnancy is not too heavy, light pink or clear, this is normal.
Also, on the 21st day of pregnancy, dogs have clear, watery discharge after urinating. this is also normal. A clot of mucus can hang from the noose or gum up the coat under the tail. If the bitch is not washed, the discharge may form a brown or caramelized crust. Sometimes black or greenish clots come out with mucus. these are embryos that died at the beginning of development.
If the discharge from the dog during pregnancy (3-4 weeks) is bloody, bright red. this is a reason to immediately contact the veterinarian. There may be several reasons for such discharge, but it is necessary to do an ultrasound scan so that rupture of the uterus is excluded.
2 days before delivery, the dog has a discharge of a light brown, greenish or whitish hue. this is also normal and signals the approach of childbirth
Pregnancy period in dogs
Many owners are concerned about the question of how long a dog is pregnant.
Normally, the gestation period for puppies in dogs is 63 days (the gestation period in dogs of small breeds is on average 60 days). However, if the dog is between 53 and 71 days old, the puppies are born viable.
If the puppies are not born after 71 days, the dog probably got pregnant later than you think.
How to determine if a dog is pregnant at home
You can determine the pregnancy of dogs at home by the following symptoms:
- Appetite changes (the dog tends to lose appetite in mid-pregnancy).
- Discharge from the vulva (4th week of pregnancy).
- Decreased dog activity level.
- Enlargement of the dog’s belly.
- Enlargement of the dog’s nipples.
How else can you tell if your dog is pregnant? There are additional ways:
- Pregnancy test. Please note, however, that a human pregnancy test will not help determine if a dog is pregnant.
- Veterinarian examination. As a rule, if the dog is pregnant for more than 25 days, the puppies’ heartbeats can already be heard through the stethoscope.
- Ultrasound and x-ray.
- Relaxin test, a hormone that is very high in a dog’s blood during pregnancy.
How to determine the development of a false pregnancy in a dog
Before you begin to treat a false pregnancy in a dog, it must be diagnosed. This can be done both by indirect indications and by the results of medical examinations. If you notice that your dog is starting to nest, i.e. pulling rags and pieces of paper into one place and there to form a nest, which means that she considers herself pregnant.
True, it should be borne in mind that dogs usually nest in secluded places, so you may not immediately notice such a strangeness in the behavior of the animal.
Indirectly, excessive maternal activity towards various things also indicates the development of false pregnancy. from toys to shoes and other items. Also, the dog’s mammary glands may enlarge at this moment. And sometimes you can even see milk or other serous secretion, similar to colostrum.
Also, among the signs indicating the development of a false pregnancy include a violation of the animal’s appetite, the appearance of constipation, an increase in body weight, vaginal discharge, and an increase in the volume of the abdomen. If you see such symptoms, but are not sure that the dog is pregnant, you need to show it to the doctor as soon as possible.
Medical diagnostics, first of all, will be based on physical examination, i.e. palpation, as well as x-rays of the abdominal cavity. In some cases, ultrasound is required. Also, doctors usually take also a biochemical blood test from an animal.
How to treat a false pregnancy in a dog
There are many reasons for false pregnancy in dogs. It can also be a change in hormone levels, when progesterone falls and prolactin increases. A false pregnancy may occur even if mating occurred in the last days of estrus. Also, such symptoms appear in those dogs that have been diagnosed with malfunctioning of the thyroid gland.
How to treat false pregnancy
Usually, a false pregnancy goes away on its own in about 2-3 weeks after its onset. over, in most cases this happens without any particular consequences. Treatment is used only in cases where the course of a false pregnancy is characterized as complicated.
For starters, experts recommend reducing the amount of fluid consumed by the dog to reduce milk production.
Sometimes doctors offer owners of dogs with a false pregnancy to find objects for raising such a failed mother. So, for example, she can be a nurse for other puppies.
If the course of the disease is too severe or the reason for the false pregnancy lies in hormonal changes, doctors may recommend taking corrective hormonal drugs. However, this can only be done on the recommendation of a veterinarian and under his full control.
Treatment with homeopathic remedies is sometimes suggested. However, it is worth remembering that such treatment will be quite long. over, taking medications should be provided at the same time.
Sometimes the owners of the suffering animal decide to sterilize the dog to avoid the development of a false pregnancy. Doctors do not recommend performing this procedure if a false pregnancy has already developed. It is best to spay the dog after it is healed to avoid recurrence of this problem.
How long does pregnancy last in dogs?
If we take the average value, the dog carries puppies in the womb for about 60-65 days. Conventionally, pregnancy lasts 2 months. There are some deviations that depend directly on the breed, lifestyle and nutrition of the animal. Sometimes pregnancy lasts up to 71 days. Each organism has individual characteristics.
Early signs of pregnancy in a dog
- The first bell is the loss of cravings for food. It is this symptom that is a consequence of fertilization. Naturally, in the absence of health complications that can cause loss of appetite.
- When mating is successful, the pet’s hormonal environment changes dramatically. For the body, all these changes turn out to be stressful, so the animal feels a little worse. The dog often becomes apathetic or, conversely, restless.
- Not all dog owners know that four-legged friends also suffer from toxicosis during pregnancy. Vomiting and nausea are characteristics of fertilization. Also, the pet may suffer from diarrhea, but such phenomena do not last long.
- Another sign of pregnancy in a dog is toxicosis. Therefore, provide the animal with peace and comfort. The bed should be located in a warm place without drafts. If vomiting appears 30 days after mating, this sign does not carry good news. Take your dog to the vet urgently.
- Animal behavior can tell you about pregnancy. The once active pet has become gentle, affectionate, prefers stroking to fun games. often located near the owner.
- But a dog can also become aggressive if something (or someone) threatens him. Simply put, the maternal instinct is triggered, especially if a person tries to touch the animal in the abdomen.
- A pregnant dog often experiences drowsiness, can sleep all day long, not paying attention to the owner. However, it is worth remembering that it is not only a delicate situation that causes drowsiness and refusal to eat. The dog can simply get sick, so keep an eye on its health.
- As a rule, in 14-15 days after mating the dog has nipple hardening. They become swollen, change shade. If this sign is added to others, you can easily determine that the dog is pregnant. But for reliability, we recommend visiting a veterinarian.
How to test your dog for pregnancy
It is enough to go to a modern veterinary clinic, where the doctor will take the dog’s blood for analysis.
The study will be carried out to identify the hormone relaxin in the blood. With its high rates, you will know for sure that the dog is pregnant.
This test is best done 3-4 weeks after mating. Experts say that it is at this time that you can get a 100% result.
How to care for a pregnant dog
- If you deliberately tied the dogs, the bitch needs to provide proper conditions in advance. At the first signs of pregnancy, it is recommended to gradually rebuild the diet. Set aside a large, cozy place for your pet. In the future, the pet should not feel cramped and discomfort.
- You can increase the habitat of the animal. Pregnant dogs can be too picky about bedding. The pet can keep within a long time. Provide the bitch with a soft pillow or blanket. Do not force your dog to eat those foods that he began to refuse. Otherwise, the animal may develop allergies or dysbiosis.
- In the early stages of pregnancy, the dog must be provided with a complex of essential vitamins and minerals. The composition should contain magnesium, calcium and ascorbic acid. Such products can be produced as a pet treat or as a dietary supplement.
- If the dog wants to spend more time outdoors, do not limit it to this. You will have to indulge almost all the whims of your pet. Fresh air and pleasant sunshine are essential for the animal. Thus, in the body, the correct synthesis of enzymes occurs.
- When going out for a walk, visit calm places. The bitch needs silence, nothing should disturb her. Do not allow your dog to lie on a cold surface for a long time. If you take your pet with you everywhere and often drive a car, such actions should be reduced. The dog may be seasick.
- It is important to protect the animal from active play with children and other dogs. Pay special attention to your pet, if possible, avoid stairs and similar dangerous surfaces. It is recommended to find a veterinarian in advance who will monitor the pregnancy and deliver on time. You should immediately see a doctor if something happens.
- If you have a small breed pet, pregnancy should be closely supervised. Many small dogs cannot cope with childbirth on their own, so surgery is inevitable. Don’t worry, this is a common practice for specialists. After that, it is important to monitor the condition of the animal.
- During pregnancy, the animal most often exacerbates diseases, the risk of contracting ailments increases. Consider all kinds of chronic deviations. Take good care of your dog and give it due consideration.
When exactly can pregnancy be detected?
It is possible to determine whether a dog is pregnant or not within 10-14 days after mating. obvious signs will be visible only after 30 days following conception.
However, experienced dog owners and veterinarians are able to detect early pregnancy (up to 2 weeks). Because the animal’s behavior changes, interests in food, etc.
During the first pregnancy, the belly does not always round out after a month. This can happen just before childbirth or 1 week before birth.
We live in the modern world, so you shouldn’t guess how successful the mating of pets was. Contact your veterinarian, he will conduct a light examination, do an ultrasound scan and tell you the result.
Ultrasound for a dog to detect pregnancy
An ultrasound scan will allow you to revise the pet’s lifestyle, adjust her diet. If you need a very accurate diagnosis, then go for an ultrasound when the dog is at a later date.
Ideal. 37-44 days following mating. After the examination, the doctor will immediately tell you how correctly the babies are formed, whether they will be born healthy, how the pregnancy in general proceeds.
The last weeks of pregnancy in a dog
- After almost 2 months of pregnancy, it will be obvious how much the belly will be rounded. Large size may indicate that there will be many puppies. Also, from a correct diet, the dog will gain weight.
- It is worth taking action only if the bitch is prone to obesity. Check with your veterinarian to have a specialist prescribe a diet. Otherwise, being overweight can harm your pet and babies. Also, obesity has a negative impact directly on childbirth.
- It is important to understand that during pregnancy, the dog begins to lead an inactive lifestyle. The pet tries to save energy before giving birth. According to the recommendations of veterinarians, walking time should be saved if necessary. Place bowls of food and water close to where the dog is resting. Give the bitch complete rest.
The signs of a false pregnancy are basically the same symptoms that accompany a normal pregnancy:
- There is a significant increase in the nipples and mammary glands. they literally swell and gain volume.
- The skin around the nipples is visibly brighter.
- The abdomen really increases in size and slightly rounds. this is why the owner may get the wrong impression that the dog is really preparing to give birth.
- Swelling of the loop, over time, discharge may also go from it.
- Increased or complete loss of appetite.
- Unexplained behavioral changes. the dog may become more aggressive, whine more often, and walk less often. Severe mood swings are also common.
- And the most important sign is that the bitch herself is really preparing for childbirth: she equips the nest and even protects it from strangers. Can bring imaginary puppies in the form of toys, slippers and other objects, put them under the nipple, lick them, etc.
First aid for false pregnancy
First of all, the animal needs to be closely monitored. You should not strive to organize the mating in the hope that all the symptoms will go away at once. Often this decision can lead to complications.
In this case, you can try to provide a kind of first aid by taking the following measures:
- Reduce the daily portion by 15-20%.
- Reduce water intake. drink 3 times a day and do not feed with liquid food.
- Imperceptibly remove everything that the dog has brought to its “nest”, replace the bedding.
- Increase the time of walks, try to pay more attention to the animal, even if it is “taking care”, assuming that it protects its fruits.
- If the dog’s mammary glands hurt, and their surface has become coarser, it is allowed to make a compress at night. Used honey and loaf crumb or aloe juice on a cabbage leaf.
It is important to understand that no self-treatment with pills, hormonal drugs and other drugs is allowed, as this can lead to complications. If these measures do not help (for example, within a week), you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
In some dogs, with a false pregnancy, the mammary glands enlarge, in which case a compress can be applied to them.
Attention. Milk often appears during a false pregnancy, and the bitch tries to express it herself. You should not express it yourself, but it is better to put a blanket on the dog to prevent this process.
False pregnancy in dogs: how dangerous it is and how it is treated
In some cases, a so-called false pregnancy occurs in a dog, when signs of fruiting appear, but in fact the animal is not pregnant. About what it is dangerous, what to do in case of this deviation, and what are the misconceptions about this. right now.
Interestingly, long-term observations of dog breeders and veterinarians have shown that several different breeds are at risk for this deviation:
The essence and causes of false pregnancy
As the name implies, such a deviation as a false pregnancy is characterized by the appearance in the bitch of signs of a normal, real pregnancy, but for no corresponding reason. That is, according to external features, one might think that the dog is pregnant, but in fact there are no fetuses (perhaps there was not even a mating).
In a false pregnancy, the dog behaves as if it is really pregnant.
The main reasons are related to hormonal disruptions in the dog’s body. In fact, the same hormones are produced that are necessary during gestation, when the dog’s nipples enlarge, breast milk begins to form, appetite increases, etc.
Usually, the reasons for the development of a violation are:
- Rare enough mating of unsterilized bitch.
- Inflammatory processes in the uterus, including with complications.
- Resorption (resorption) of the fetus after mating and fertilization. In these cases, the body has already begun to rebuild, preparing for childbirth, but due to violations of the development of embryos, they die without being born.
False pregnancy treatment
Treatment of the violation is possible only after an accurate diagnosis and analysis of the specific reasons provoking this deviation. Usually the uterus and ovaries are used.
As a rule, the veterinarian prescribes complex therapy using various drugs:
- Homeopathic (ovarium compositum, gormmel, ovariovit, galastop, phytoelite cytostat, etc.).
- Hormonal (bromocriptine, naloxone, nonestron, etc.).
Consequences and prevention of the disease
If you do not take timely measures and try to simply re-educate the dog, you can face unpleasant consequences:
- Complications of the mammary glands.
- Disturbances in the estrus cycle.
- Oncological diseases of the uterus, etc.
Such consequences do not necessarily develop with a false pregnancy, however, in advanced cases, the risk increases. That’s why it’s important to take care of your pet’s health. As such, there are no preventive measures for this deviation. But a period of 9 weeks can be noted, the beginning of which is counted from 12 days after the end of estrus.
False pregnancy can lead to breast disease in a dog.
Approximately 2-3 days before the due date:
- reduce feeding by 3 times;
- reduce water consumption (give three times a day in small portions).
Such restrictions should be valid for 4-5 days, after which it can be noted that the nipples become less firm, and in general the condition stabilizes.
Important. At the same time, it is necessary to increase the number of walks, physical activity (for example, walking long distances), since this also helps to reduce the volume of milk produced.
First aid and ways to prevent false pregnancy
Many dog breeders believe that if a dog has a false pregnancy, nothing needs to be done about it. However, this is not at all the case. It is required first of all to calm down the pet and help get out of this situation. For this, it is necessary to create comfortable conditions for the animal. You will also need:
- limit water consumption;
- prescribe diet therapy;
- increase physical activity.
From the bitch’s diet, it is required to exclude foods that will enhance milk production. It is necessary to remove protein, dairy and fermented milk products from the diet. The dog should eat more cereals, boiled in water, as well as vegetables. Some breeders recommend occasional days without food and with a minimum of water. Despite the harshness of these methods, they are suitable for preventing mastitis.
Signs of pathology
Symptoms of false pregnancy without treatment should go away in 1-2 weeks, milk production will stop in 2-3 weeks. However, sometimes the pathology can be accompanied by complications, so you need to look after the pet.
What it is
In most cases, physiological processes in animals follow the same pattern. The period of preparation of the pet’s body for fertilization can be divided into four stages.
The initial preparation period, which lasts about a week, is called proestrum. At this time, mammals undergo changes in behavior and physiology, which are due to the adaptation mechanism.
In the ovaries, follicles begin to mature. sex cells, which are surrounded by several layers of epithelium. They cause the release of hormones such as progesterone and estrogen into the animal’s bloodstream, which determine the behavior of the bitch during estrus.
At the same time, the mucous membrane of the reproductive system is being prepared for embryo attachment. Due to the action of hormones, new oocytes stop maturing and leaving, instead, white bodies begin to reduce from the last ovulation.
The second stage of preparation of the dog’s body for fertilization is most often called the estuary, which lasts from one to two weeks. Biologists call it estrus.
At this time, the structure of the uterine mucosa changes, and bloody discharge occurs. Regardless of whether a dog has intercourse, stigmas are formed and an egg is released every 2-3 hours. It remains in the ovary for some time, ripening, after which it goes down the fallopian tubes.
The period after heat, lasting from 1 to 2 months, is called metoestrum. The behavior of the animal varies greatly. Under the action of the hormone gonadotropin, yellow bodies begin to form, which synthesize progesterone, inhibiting ovulation and contributing to the restructuring of the uterine mucosa.
After the phase. anestrum. This is a dormant period that lasts from 3 to 4 months. At this time, the level of progesterone decreases, and the pet’s body is rebuilt to the beginning of a new ovulation process.
If the decrease in the corpus luteum does not occur in the ovaries, hormones continue to be synthesized in the body of the bitch, preparing the mammal for pregnancy. False birth begins from 4-9 weeks of estrus and lasts from 2 to 3 weeks. At this time, the bitch feels pregnant, although the fetus is absent.
Dog in a cage surrounded by toys
The danger of false pregnancy
If untreated, false pregnancies can cause unpleasant consequences, which in some cases become life-threatening for the dog. A pet can become seriously ill and subsequently die.
Not the worst consequence is the nervous breakdown that the animal experiences during false breeding. Many females change their behavior: they become aggressive, they can even bite their masters.
Quite often, after false pregnancy, diseases of the animal’s reproductive system may appear. They are dangerous because they are not immediately detected, and therefore the time for drug therapy may be lost, because of which the dog will have to go under the surgeon’s knife. The most common diseases are:
- oncological diseases of the uterus and ovaries;
- purulent uterine inflammation, which can cost the dog a life;
- inflammatory process on the mucous membrane of the inner surface of the uterus.
Also, mastitis is often found. inflammation of the mammary gland, which brings at least severe pain. In the early stages, the disease is treatable. However, such a moment is easy to miss, because of which suppuration will begin, which is quite difficult to fight. Subsequently, the dog may develop breast cancer.
Advanced mastitis in dogs
In the process of restructuring the hormonal background, the state and behavior of the dog changes. The hormones reduced by the corpus luteum signal the dog to prepare for procreation. The body begins to rebuild. This is noticeable in the following ways:
- the mammary glands swell and increase in size;
- the pet’s belly increases;
- discharge from the loop of the bitch appears;
- colostrum begins to flow from the nipples.
However, not only by external indicators, it is possible to determine the onset of a dangerous state of the pet, but also by its behavior.
Dog with swollen nipples
Diagnostics in a veterinary clinic
Research is required to distinguish between physiological and false pregnancies. The most accessible way of determining is probing. In most cases, a dog breeder is an incompetent person in this matter, and therefore it is required to apply for diagnostics to a veterinary clinic.
There is also a laboratory method that allows you to understand whether the bitch is pregnant or not. examination of discharge from the loop, as well as urine analysis. For carrying out, you will need special equipment.
The most effective and common method for determining an imaginary pregnancy is an ultrasound of the abdominal organs. If the embryos exist, they can be seen on the screen in real time. In the absence of these, the veterinarian will make an appropriate diagnosis.
Ultrasound of the dog’s abdomen
What not to do
Some actions can aggravate the situation with the animal, and therefore it is worth being careful. This is especially true for such shy breeds as Yorkies, Jack Russell Terriers and Spitz. Veterinarians advise against doing the following things when interacting with a pet:
- You cannot show too much affection, indulge the instincts of the animal. Active breeds of dogs (dachshunds, Labradors, Can Corso, Staff Terriers) especially suffer from this. It is recommended to switch their attention to active games, to provide long walks by changing the route.
- You can not scold the dog and rudely take away toys from her, since she takes them for offspring and can show aggression. It can also become quite a stressful situation for the pet.
- You should not let the animal lick the nipples and the noose, because in this way the dog stimulates milk production and hormone synthesis, which aggravates the situation. No matter how long it takes, the treatment should be accompanied by putting on a collar.
- One cannot hope that the state will pass by itself. It is necessary to take measures: take the dog to the veterinarian so that he tells what to do, prescribes medications that will correct the situation.
The owner must be caring, do everything to make his pet feel comfortable. Treatment will help return the female to a full life.
If the dog does not have pseudo-puppies, the symptoms of false puppies are most often mild and rather short-lived. When replaced by puppies or kittens, the mother’s colostrum changes to real milk, and therefore the dog can feed other people’s children. There are also behavioral changes such as:
- the pet begins to equip the nest;
- the dog is anxious.
Some animals show symptoms of false birth. The dog feels longing, anxiety, contractions, his appetite decreases.
How to independently determine pregnancy in a dog in the early stages
In the first half of puberty, you can only assume that the dog is pregnant. 3 weeks after mating, firstborns may experience toxicosis, which manifests itself in nausea, vomiting and goes away spontaneously in 2-3 weeks.
In the fourth week after urination, scanty mucous vaginal discharge appears, which hangs on a loop. This is normal, but if the female is not doing genital hygiene, wash her.
The color of the nipples becomes brighter only in the fifth week of gestation.
In dogs of large breeds, there are practically no problems with pregnancy, the bitch herself limits her movements. At home, in the first month, it is almost impossible to detect puberty.
In small dog breeds in the fourth week of gestation, you may notice swelling of the mammary glands and pink skin.
For an accurate determination of puberty, contact the clinic.
Signs of pregnancy in dogs
I will tell you about the signs of pregnancy in a dog, the distinctive features by which you can make sure that the bitch is pregnant. You will find out how a true pregnancy differs from an imaginary and failed one, how puberty proceeds in bitches of small and large breeds. I will tell you why you need to contact the clinic and what information about the course of pregnancy you can get.
The average duration of bearing fruit in dogs is 63 days. Bitches of small breeds puppies mainly at 60 days, large ones at 65. However, these are average data, which may differ from real ones.
In order to establish the pregnancy of a pet by signs, study the puberty calendar, which describes in detail what happens to the mated bitch in each week of gestation:
- The process of conception takes an entire week. Fertilization usually occurs the next day after mating. A zygote is formed, fetal membranes are formed around it.
- The fertilized egg moves through the fallopian tubes and enters the uterus at the end of the second week of pregnancy. You can spot the first signs of pregnancy by changing your dog’s behavior. She looks calm and peaceful.
- The placenta is formed, the head, limbs, heart are laid, the rudiments of internal organs are formed. Outward signs appear suggesting that the bitch is pregnant. Fur begins to fall out on the belly, unpigmented nipples become pink in color.
- The embryos grow in size and become visible on ultrasound. At this time, clear vaginal discharge appears. Experienced women in labor move with precautions so as not to harm the developing fetuses. They lose their appetite. In the firstborn, mild toxicosis may appear, they become lethargic, they vomit, sometimes to vomiting. This moment cannot be missed. At 5 weeks of gestation, switch to ready-to-eat meals for pregnant, lactating bitches and puppies. I recommend Eukanuba ready-to-eat food for puppies under 12 months old or otherwise, at least premium. If you are a natural practitioner, ask your dog handlers how to balance your diet. Super premium and premium dog food.
- There is an intensive growth of embryos. The female’s belly becomes noticeable, the sides are rounded. Appetite increases, so adjust your portion size. However, do not overfeed so as not to provoke a difficult birth. Avoid using medications and vitamin and mineral supplements, they can harm the fruit.
How to Identify If Your Dog Is Having a False Pregnancy
Some breeders believe that developing fetuses need calcium for bone formation and feed the bitch. This cannot be done. Calcium should not enter the bloodstream from the feed, but from the bone. If the concentration of the mineral in food is low, this is what happens.
After whelping, all calcium is mobilized for milk production. If the mechanism of its leaching from the bones is not developed, a sharp drop in the concentration of Ca ions occurs. convulsions occur, eclampsia develops, in which a lethal outcome is not excluded.
- Fruit growth continues. Eyes, paws, genitals are forming.
- The stomach enlarges, the udder swells. The dog fusses, licks the nipples.
- On palpation of the abdomen, movements of the puppies are felt. Ultrasound allows you to count the number of pups. Milk begins to flow.
- Labor is approaching.
Diagnostics in the clinic
Laboratory, and also instrumental diagnostic methods to determine in the early stages not only the presence of pregnancy, but to exclude a failed and false pregnancy. You have mated a bitch and want to know if conception has occurred. In this case, take your pet to the clinic after 3 weeks. Her blood will be taken and tested for relaxin. A sharp increase in the concentration of the hormone indicates pregnancy.
This study will help to exclude imaginary hypoxia, which you cannot distinguish from the real one by clinical symptoms. The next early procedure for confirming pregnancy is ultrasound.
The veterinarian, in the fourth week of gestation, monitors the beating of the hearts of future puppies on the monitor. However, it’s too early to calm down. In a dog, after a month of normal gestation, the fruits dissolve. The reason is not easy to establish, however, embryos are resorbed or excreted with vaginal mucus in the form of black or greenish clots.
The dog looks puppy, its abdomen is enlarged, mammary glands are hypertrophied. The time comes to give birth, and the cubs do not appear. If you did not make a test for relaxin in a timely manner or did not check on an ultrasound scan, then you might think that the bitch has a false pregnancy.
The exact number of puppies can be determined by x-ray at the seventh week of gestation. Usually there are more of them than they counted, because the operator might not have noticed someone.