For small farms, professionals suggest using a trough, a saucepan, a bowl, a frying pan, a ceramic or iron cup. It is only necessary to make a device to hold the container in place.
The following materials are required to secure the device:
- large clothespins;
- strips of tin or stainless steel;
- nuts, screws, washers;
- other consumables.
The first method: you need to take two clothespins and put them opposite each other at a distance of the diameter of the bowl, screw one side to the floor of the cage.
Rabbit Head Hole Drinker
This design is easy to clean. You just need to remove the bottle and close the door. Clean the vessel from dirt, possible algae and insert it back. The door can be omitted if you make 2 such drinking devices for each cage and just change them.
Tip: if you take a vessel with flat edges, they will better adjoin the hole in the cage, but you will have to think about an appropriate clamp or secure the container with wire.
For a small number of rabbits, a drinking bowl is suitable.
This drinking method has many disadvantages:
- Animals often turn the cup over, spilling liquid and depriving themselves of source of water;
- Spilled liquid will wet the bedding, which can lead to infections;
- Dishes are not protected from food, rabbit fur and faeces and other sources of contamination.
These drinkers are the easiest to manufacture and use. An ordinary bowl or tin can is taken and placed in the cage so that the wall divides it into two parts, one of which was outside and the other inside. With this installation, it is easy to change the water in the drinker and wash the container.
Such simple drinkers also have their advantages:
- rabbits quickly get used to this method;
- when placed in a cage, they do not need to be configured;
- free access to the water allows you to conveniently use the drinker;
- the cheapest option compared to others.
The disadvantages of drinking bowls are as follows. wool, feed and droppings of rabbits will fall into the bowl, it will often have to be washed. In addition, rabbits, because of their restlessness, can turn the cup over and bathe in it. And high humidity in the cage is extremely undesirable for animal health.
What should be a drinking bowl?
Above all, rabbit drinkers should serve one purpose. to be a constant source of water. Their shape, in principle, can be any: a plastic trough, a plate or any other container. But since the rabbits in the cage are constantly moving, eating, washing themselves, the water can become clogged and the water tank risks toppling over. That is why the drinkers for rabbits are made closed and placed outside the cage.
The structure must be fixed by any means, ordinary wire will do. You can also use fasteners made of iron, steel, ordinary tin can. The main thing is that such a fastening is reliable and keeps the bottle from tipping over.
To keep rabbit drinkers always clean, it is best to use small containers. For example, no more than 0.5 liters.
Making a bottle drinker for eared friends
Water is the main constituent element of our life and, in particular, nutrition. With water we get a lot of useful substances, we clean ourselves. Likewise, rabbits need not only excellent feeding and care, but also clean water, so drinking bowls for rabbits are an indispensable element of the arrangement of cages. How to make a drinker for rabbits, what types are there, we will tell you in this article.
The bird feels an urgent need for constant access to clean water, so the availability of high-quality drinkers for your chickens is a must.
DIY nests for chickens: step by step instructions
Poultry farmers pay special attention to the arrangement of the chicken coop from the inside. Where to put nests for your chickens? How and what sizes to equip feeders?
How to make a duck house with your own hands: what to consider
How to make a solid and warm duckhouse for a bird with your own hands, what are the features of temporary and capital housing? How to equip inside?
- Water is an important component of any living organism. Lack of necessary fluid or contamination of it leads to illness.
- Rabbits should have access to clean water around the clock. At the slightest contamination, it is necessary to change the water and clean the drinking bowl.
- You should carefully select the drinker depending on the type of animal and the conditions of its keeping.
- Drinking bowls can be bought ready-made, or made independently from improvised means. When making a drinker at home, you should protect it well.
- Any drinker must be reliable, safe, clean and comfortable for the rabbit.
Rabbit Drinker Requirements
Drinking bowls for animals should be made taking into account their habits and character. Agile and curious rabbits can knock over an unsecured bowl of water and even use the drinker as a toilet. The constant availability of fresh water is of great importance for animals, therefore, when equipping a rabbitry, it is necessary to think over how the drinking system will be arranged.
A good drinker should meet the following requirements:
- Rabbits should also be comfortable using it;
- Capacity. at least the daily rate must fit;
- Protected from dirt entering the water;
- Reliable fixation.
Benefits of a plastic bottle drinker
If only a few animals are kept at home, arranging a feeder, drinking bowls for rabbits does not cause much trouble. However, on a large farm, it can be expensive to constantly buy new equipment. In this case, you can make do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits. Ordinary plastic bottles come to the rescue.
Their plus lies in the availability of material, ease of manufacture. At the same time, devices made of plastic bottles compare favorably with pouring bowls and cups in the purity of the incoming water. In addition, it is consumed more economically, unlike a cup, which can be overturned and spilled all the water. They are easy to use and maintain.
We make the simplest and most budgetary drinker
Drinkers can also provide water for rabbits. They are currently the most popular. Usually used by those who keep a large number of rabbits at once.
It is based on the fact that water from a large tank flows through pipes into each enclosure. A float is installed in the tank, thanks to which you can monitor the water level in it. Such a structure is usually installed by a specialist.
- To create such a structure will require finance and skills to install it.
- You can save time.
- There will always be fresh liquid in the enclosures.
This way of providing your pets with water was common in the past. To do this, you just had to put a container in the aviary and pour water there. Currently, such homemade drinkers for rabbits are rarely used, since they have many disadvantages.
- Liquid may spill out of the bowl if overturned.
- Food residues and rabbit excrement get into the drink, and therefore it quickly becomes dirty.
- The water that spills out makes the litter wet, and therefore it will constantly be wet and dirty in the cage, which will negatively affect the health of the pets.
- The container for the construction of the structure can be easily found. For example, a cup can be made from a regular plastic bottle.
Rabbit Vacuum Drinker
This rabbit drinker is a DIY product. Here you need to take a regular bottle and put it with its neck down in a container. As you drink water, new liquid will flow from the bowl. The container size can be used in different ways. When the liquid in the bottle runs out, it needs to be refilled.
- Debris may enter the water.
- In winter the water will freeze.
- The bottle may turn over on its own.
- You can make such a watering hole for rabbits yourself.
- Water can be easily added.
- The whole manufacturing process will take little time.
How to make a plastic bottle drinker for rabbits? It’s simple. Better to use a plastic bottle. It can be of any size. Usually this design is used by those who keep rabbits in the apartment. By the principle of its work, it resembles a nipple.
- It is inconvenient to use for feeding a large number of rabbits at the same time.
- A pet in a cage will always have clean water.
Important! If the container is made of PVC, then it should be fixed from the outside of the aviary so that the rabbits do not damage it.
DIY nipple drinkers for rabbits can also be easily made. Before you make your own nipple drinker for rabbits, you need to know how it works. It is based on the fact that when the tongue of the animal touches the ball on the nipple, it receives moisture. It comes through a tube from the tank.
- In winter, the ball and nipples can freeze.
- For the construction of such a watering hole, an investment of certain funds will be required.
- The water will always be clean, since the rabbits will not be able to contaminate it.
- The rabbit owner sees the amount of liquid in the tank, and therefore can refill it in time.
- It will be convenient to add medications to the water at nipple drinkers for rabbits if necessary.
- Water is saved as it flows directly into the mouth.
- The nipple drinker can be made of any material.
How to make and install a rabbit drinker?
Breeders say that it is difficult to choose quality drinkers for rabbits. There are many things to consider here. Pets should always have access to water, and the design itself should be reliable and safe.
You also need to pay attention to the fact that the water in the drinker can be easily and quickly replaced, since the clean liquid must always be in the cage.
The rabbit drinker can be of different designs. For breeding rabbits, farmers most often use the following designs today:
- From the bottle.
- Vacuum drinkers.
- From the sewer pipe.
Which of them is better to use at home is difficult to say, since they all have their own disadvantages and advantages. This device is also important not only to make the right one yourself, but also to install.
You can make these drinkers for rabbits yourself. Correctly installed sippy cups will provide the rabbit with constant access to liquid. This will give her the opportunity to do more with her rabbits, and not look for where to drink.
Is it possible to make drinkers yourself?
For rabbit breeding in large volumes, the above methods can be used if there is no desire to spend money on the purchase of food. But if necessary, you can make do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits.
Important! When making a structure, it is worth considering the fact that in winter the water in it can freeze, and therefore it is necessary to install heating there. You can just wrap the container with a rag, or you can put a thermostat.
Knowing these points, you can choose the best drinker for rabbits. A good and well-made design can ensure an uninterrupted supply of water to animals throughout the year. In turn, with proper care and maintenance, the rabbits will thank you with high-quality fur and tasty meat.
- DIY construction of a toilet in the country
- Do-it-yourself glued laminated timber bath
- Children’s wooden house with their own hands
- We build a cellar with our own hands
What are the auto drinkers for rabbits
On rabbit farms, rather complex designs of automatic drinkers for rabbits are usually used. Water is poured into a large stainless steel tank, from there it passes through a hose into a distribution tank with a float flush system. From the distribution tank there is a plumbing line made of brass or plastic pipes that fit into each cage. Brass pipes are welded to the holes in the pipes of the line. At the other end of the pipe there is a thread to which the nuts of the aluminum cups are attached. It is from these glasses that rabbits drink. When the water level in the glasses decreases, the water level in the distribution tank also decreases. thanks to the float system, the valve opens and water flows back into the drinkers.
In private households, nipple drinkers for rabbits are more often used. They are very convenient in that, unlike bowls, they do not spill, do not turn over, and the water in them remains clean. However, at low temperatures in winter, the water in the nipple drinker freezes quickly. Yes, and the volume of such drinkers is small, for several rabbits you will have to add water more than once a day, and it is very tedious to fiddle with opening and closing the lid of a nipple drinker. Another disadvantage is the fragility. over time, the covers leak.
In private households, nipple drinkers for rabbits are more often used.
How to make yourself?
Before you start making an auto-drinker for rabbits with your own hands, you need to accurately determine its volume. That is, for how many animals and how much water is needed per day. As a rule, there are about three nipples for 20 heads. But if all your animals live in separate cages, then, of course, each pet needs its own individual drinking bowl. Consider two options for homemade designs.
How to make do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits
One of the requirements for successfully keeping rabbits is to give them fresh, clean water. Those who know these animals firsthand know that it is sometimes difficult to ensure the cleanliness of the feeder, and to constantly buy containers for feed and water. This does not mean that you have to endure inconvenience all the time: a practical drinker can be easily made at home.
For a pet
Rabbits have also become popular as pets. These cute creatures will not leave anyone indifferent. Organizing a convenient drinking bowl for your pet is equally important. Take an empty bottle, we won’t need a cap. Find the right water cup for your pet to drink from. Fill a bottle with water and turn it upside down, placing the neck in a drinking cup. Fix all parts of the drinker firmly on the walls of the cage. Water will flow evenly from the reservoir into the drinker as the rabbit drinks. This option is perfect for a large enclosure with animals. Make several drinkers and place them in different parts of the rabbit house. Bottled water will always stay clean, and you can easily see its level in the tank.
Hose version for several individuals
If you want to make a do-it-yourself drinker for rabbits or a whole group of young animals, it is better to make it in the form of a hose. Thus, you will not have the need to add water to the tank all the time, and several individuals will be able to get access to water at the same time.
- Rubber or plastic hose;
- Nipples of the required diameter;
- Scissors, stationery knife;
- A container for water, for example, a bottle, a canister;
- Fastening wire.
- We purchase a hose and nipples.
- Having chosen the necessary water tank, we need to install it near the cells. It is best if it is above the level of the cages so that the attached hose is directed downward.
- In a rubber or plastic hose, we make holes for the nipples. We cut it out very accurately so that there are no cracks.
- We insert the nipples into the holes, we can warm up the rubber hose a little so that the edges of the trim are melted. In plastic, you can use sealant.
- We attach the hose to the cage either from the top or from the side and insert it into the water tank. We are all ready. As you can see, making such a drinker with your own hands is not at all difficult. We also suggest watching a useful video.
What are the drinkers
Of course, it’s easier than ever to take some kind of bowl or other container, however, in addition to the simplicity in terms of changing the water, there is also the risk of rapid contamination. When arranging a household subsidiary farm, this option is impractical.
Instead, it is better to use cup, vacuum and nipple type devices.
It is important to note that the breeding and popularization of rabbits has long been a very important area of animal husbandry, which needs a solid scientific base. The first industry establishment in the former Soviet Union was founded back in 1932.
Cup-type models are made from bottles and plastic cans. They are distinguished by one key advantage. an impressive volume. However, there are certain difficulties in servicing such structures: they need to be properly looked after, and also weighed down with a weight or a clamp on the back side. Also, such products are open, so the risk of dirt penetration is very high. The farmer has to clean the structure of dirt several times a day.
The principle of operation of vacuum drinkers is to supply water from an additional container to the “main” container in a semi-automatic manner. A reservoir in the form of a plastic bottle, attached to the wall of the cage with clamps, is filled until the level is at its maximum. In this case, the lower retainer will act as a regulator.
Such a model is in special demand due to its affordable cost and ease of manufacture, while the water retains its purity and freshness for a long time. Among the disadvantages is the risk of liquid leaking from the bowl, as well as the likelihood of freezing.
The most popular are nipple designs. Placed in a closed container, water enters a tube with a ball nipple, and in order to access it, the rabbit must press the ball with a tongue.
To avoid leaks, it is better to treat the joints with a sealant or close them with rubber washers. gaskets.
Such drinkers are particularly practical, since the water in them is constantly clean and does not evaporate, which reduces its consumption. At the same time, it is almost impossible to pour it out even for a powerful adult rabbit. In addition, this method allows you to simultaneously supply vitamin or medicinal solutions with water.
Drinking bowl from a plastic bottle
Since this option is very simple and affordable for making with your own hands, we will need very little materials. This design is suitable for one or a pair of animals.
What are the drinkers for rabbits
The easiest way is to take a bowl, but this simplicity turns into a constant change of water and its rapid contamination. Even for a small subsidiary farm, this is not the best option.
Cup, vacuum or nipple fixtures are much more suitable. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Cups are made from bottles and plastic cans. Plus they have only one. a large volume. They deliver much more inconvenience: they have to be made heavier by clinging a weight on the back side or securing a clamp. In addition, they are open, dirt can easily get there, you have to wash the container several times a day. Vacuum (or semi-automatic) machines are much more practical. The bottom line is simple. water from the additional container is fed into the “main” drinker by gravity until it reaches the required level. Such a reservoir can be a plastic bottle, which is attached to the cage wall with clamps (the lower retainer at the same time regulates the liquid level). “Vacuum” is simple and cheap to manufacture, and the water in such a system remains clean for a long time. There is also a minus: the liquid can easily flow out of the bowl, and in winter there is a risk of freezing.
The most popular are nipple systems. From a closed container, water flows into a tube, at the end of which there is a ball nipple. To get drunk, the rabbit will have to press on this ball with his tongue.
Among the disadvantages are some manufacturing complexity and higher cost. With frequent topping up, the lid may leak. In the cold season, it happens that the nipple works intermittently (the ball may just freeze).
Automatic devices are suitable for large farms. From a large tank, water is piped through pipes to the bowls installed in the cages. The flow is regulated by a float valve that lowers along with the water level in the tank. So dozens (or even hundreds) of animals simultaneously receive clean water. True, such a system is laborious to assemble and quite expensive.
Having decided on the choice, it’s time to find out how to make a drinker for rabbits.
How to make do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits
From the bottle
Everything is simple here. they take an ordinary plastic bottle and cut a hole approximately in the middle with a heated knife. It should be sized to fit a rabbit’s face.
These simple do-it-yourself rabbits drinkers from plastic bottles are usually attached to the cage with two pieces of soft wire. One grabs the neck of the “bottle”, and the other holds the top.
There is one point associated with their use. rabbits (especially young ones) can gnaw such a container in a week. a second. Therefore, it makes sense to make a more reliable vacuum system.
The same plastic bottles are used, but the principle of feeding is already different: part of the water, pouring out, covers the neck, and then physics: the pressure difference does not allow all the water to pour out at once.
There is a minimum of material here, as well as the time required:
- Take a bottle and any container with rounded edges (bowl, container, tin container).
- The bottom is cut out, water will be poured there.
- Then the plug is unscrewed, thereby regulating the water supply. Some do it differently: the cork remains in place, but 2-3 large holes are made in it with an awl or knife.
- The bottle is attached to the cage wall with wire or clamps at a height of 8-10 cm from the floor.
- Both containers are positioned so that the lid is near the bottom of the plate, but not adjacent to it, thereby blocking the feed.
- Everything, you can fill in water.
If the cage is large and densely “populated” with animals, then several drinkers will be needed. The main thing is that they cover the need of rabbits for liquid.
Rabbit Drinker Requirements
By themselves, rabbits are very mobile, and it is not difficult for them to turn the container over, so you have to think about the shape of the drinker and its reliable fastening. And it is undesirable to breed “swamp” in cages. Those who have kept rabbits for a long time noticed that for some reason animals use open containers of water as a toilet, so the water has to be changed regularly, and there is not always time for this.
- Security. Drinkers should not have any burrs, much less sharp corners. Tin cans are excluded.
- Protection from dust and debris.
- The volume should be enough for a day (that is, a liter with a small margin).
- Animal friendliness.
- Filling and washing containers should also be made as easy as possible. Position it so as not to stretch across the entire cage, risking overflowing water.
- Reliability and simplicity. They try to make the system so that it is understandable for rabbits, and they could not gnaw it (it also happens).
Knowing about these points, you can easily choose the right type of drinker, but there are actually a lot of them.
DIY drinking bowls
Anyone can make a drinker, especially since this requires improvised materials, which are in abundance in every courtyard. Let’s start with the simplest, “bottle” designs.
JEK PETS EP.9 | AUTOMATIC WATER DRINKER SETUP FOR RABBITS #RABBITERO #KAPETS
DIY nipple drinkers for rabbits work according to the same principle, but may differ in design. Those that are easier to manufacture are suitable for a small population living in 1-2 cages. Let’s start with them.
- Take a bottle with a cap and a piece of soft rubber or clear plastic tubing. When buying a nipple in the kit, they usually offer a tube of a suitable size. this is an even better option.
- A hole is carefully cut in the lid along the diameter of the tube.
- A nipple is inserted into the tube (on one end), and the other end is inserted into the lid.
- The bottle is attached to the cell wall with clamps (the smaller one is near the neck, the larger one is at the top). The rabbit should be comfortable using the nipple, so pick the correct height.
- Before filling the container with water, substitute a small plate under it. while the animals get used to this method, water may drip a little on half the cage.
- On the side of the pipe where the grooves of the pipes go, mark and drill holes.
- Then they are “passed” with a tap.
- A nipple is inserted into these threads.
- A plug is placed on the consolidated end of the “main” pipe.
- A hole with a thread for a hose is made in the prepared tank or bottle.
- At the other end, the hose is connected to the tube from the nipple. For tightness, the joints are wrapped with tape (Teflon is suitable).
- It remains to attach the droplet catchers.
Such work will take more time, but the “resource” of such a system will also be large, and if you install a large tank, you will not have to frequently add water. also saving.
As mentioned above, having enough water is a prerequisite for the full development of rabbits. It is important to correctly install the drinker so that the animal cannot turn it over. In this regard, ordinary bowls may not be the best way out. If it was decided to make do-it-yourself drinkers at home, you need to follow some rules.
First of all, it is necessary to ensure the possibility of free access so that there are no problems with replenishing the liquid, as well as washing and cleaning the device. The container should contain at least a liter of water, this dose should be enough for the pet. The liquid must be protected from dirt and dust.
In addition, you need to take care of the correct and reliable fixation of the drinker in the cage, since rabbits are quite active animals and can easily turn the container over. You should also think about the comfort of the animals. they should not have problems with access to water and using the device. If the liquid is in an open, even well-fixed, bowl, the animal can begin to use the container as a toilet, and tainted water can harm the pet, so long-term monitoring is required.
Rabbit water system tutorial | How to install nipple drinker for Rabbit | Backyard Rabbitry
Summing up, the following should be noted. The drinking bowl should be comfortable for the animal and convenient for the owner, contain at least a daily rate of water for the rabbit, minimize the ingress of dirt, wool and debris, and also be securely fixed. Compliance with these rules is easy to control, and the animal will be constantly provided with the necessary amount of liquid.
How to make a rabbit drinker?
The owner of the animals can use drawings, expert advice, find information on sites on the Internet or special literature. Let’s talk about the simplest, most affordable and popular manufacturing methods. If there are few animals, a cup-type drinker is fine. However, one cannot fail to note the downsides. If the bowl is not properly secured, active animals quickly overturn it.
A wet cage floor and moisture create ideal conditions for the development of microorganisms and pathogenic bacteria, which, in turn, can cause serious illness in rabbits. And if the bowl is open, it means that the ingress of dirt and debris into the water is not limited in any way.
Almost all owners ask themselves the question of how to provide animals with drinking water in winter. You can build a heated drinking bowl, or you can exclude the installation of heating mechanisms. To do this, it is necessary to insulate the container from all sides in order to create a kind of thermos that can keep warm inside.
The tank must hold at least a liter of water. Part of the structure must be placed in a cage with an animal, since in winter it will be warmer there than outside.
If we are talking about a more complex structure, you need to proceed as follows. A boiler is welded into a mechanical container, which can be replaced with a heating element, and you also need to install a nipple. To prevent the water from freezing, you should monitor the process and periodically turn on the heating mechanism. It will be a little easier to make a heated drinker with a ladle and a heater. In any case, it will be necessary to exclude the possibility of damage to the cable by rabbits, otherwise this incident may threaten more unpleasant consequences.
Rabbit breeders can offer other original ideas for arranging drinkers. For example, using a sewer pipe to create it. This is a fairly simple process, the pipe is fixed on the cage, and its ends are carefully sealed. For this, you can use, for example, cans.
How to make a do-it-yourself rabbit drinker?
Tools and materials
There are various types of rabbit drinkers. In order to make them yourself, in each case you will need certain tools and materials. A cup drinker is the simplest option; it does not require special skills to make it, and even improvised means are suitable. Even household utensils such as bowls and cups can be used. The main thing is how to fix the object.
Drinking bowls of various types can be made using a regular plastic bottle of the required size as a basis. Various mechanisms can be placed inside. In addition, plastic material is easy to work with, as it is easy to cut and is present in almost every home. For self-made drip drinkers, you will need:
- plastic bottle;
- base from a regular pen for writing;
- a ball or bolt that fits into the handle;
- universal glue.
Most of the difficulties arise for the owners of animals in the manufacture of an automatic water supply system. It will require:
- plastic tubes that can be replaced with a rubber hose if desired;
- a container for a tank that can hold from 5 to 10 liters of water;
- nipples by cell count;
- small light ball.
The main tank is connected to pipes, at the end of which nipples are fixed, and a ball is placed in the tank to control the water level.
A vacuum drinker is the easiest type of device to manufacture, which does not cause much difficulty in its creation and does not require special skills. The general point is that the bottle is filled with water, covered with a container from which the animal will drink, and turned upside down. All the water from the bottle will not pour out, but only part of it until the neck is under the water level in the drinker.
As for the shortcomings, among them it is possible to note the possibility of liquid freezing in winter, tipping the bottle in the absence of additional fixation, and dirt and debris can get into the open container of the drinker. Among the advantages are simplicity and maximum speed of manufacture and use. A vacuum drinker made from an ordinary plastic bottle is an economical solution, since such a container is available in every home. Before starting work, you should prepare materials. Would need:
- hot melt glue;
- 2 plastic bottles with a wide neck, for example, from milk or kefir;
- screwdriver or drill.
First, you need to cut off the bottom of one of the bottles, but the container itself is no longer required. As a result, one whole bottle and the bottom of the second are on the hands. A sufficient number of small holes are made on the neck of the bottle and on its lid with the help of a drill or screwdriver, through which water will flow into the drinking bowl. The top of the lid is fixed with hot melt glue exactly in the center of the bottom of the second bottle and thoroughly dried.
After all the manipulations, you should fill the bottle with water by removing the cap, then put it in place and turn it over. We must not forget about the reliable fastening of the device in the cage.
Nipple drinkers are often chosen by rabbit owners. They are great for animals, in addition, they do not cause difficulties when making them yourself. The principle of operation is quite simple: the animal presses the nipple ball with its tongue, thereby causing liquid to enter its mouth. The water itself enters the tube from the main tank. It is impossible not to note the disadvantages of the design. In winter, the nipple tube freezes quickly, which means that it will be impossible for the animal to get the desired liquid. In addition, the device is quite difficult to make on your own, and buying a tube requires certain financial costs.
But there are many advantages in this method. For example, an animal only touches the nipple with its tongue, so the water in the container always remains fresh and clean, dirt does not get there. Further, the liquid level is visible through the container, which allows it to be replenished in a timely manner. In addition, water consumption is as economical as possible, it does not spill or leak. And, finally, the design can be created with your own hands, using materials that are unnecessary in everyday life. As for self-production, some points must be taken into account. First you need to take care of the materials that will be required for work.
These are the following details:
- plastic bottle;
- the nipple itself;
- means for fixing the device, which can be either wire or special fasteners;
- plastic or silicone cover;
How to install it?
Making a drinker for your rabbit isn’t enough. An important point is its installation in the animal’s home and reliable fastening, because when overturning, all efforts will go down the drain. An important factor is the calculation of the height of the device. To do this, you need to observe the animal and evaluate its comfort when using the drinker. The arched neck indicates that the eared one has certain difficulties in accessing water, so the location should be changed.
It is advisable to install a container with water outside the cage, in this case it will be problematic for a rodent to get and spoil it. The tube with the nipple is placed inside. To prevent it from getting dirty, the height from the floor must be at least 10 centimeters.
For information on how to make a do-it-yourself drinker for rabbits, see the next video.
To make a do-it-yourself vacuum drinker, you need to prepare a plastic bottle, a bowl with smooth edges, and holders. Next, the bowl is fixed at a height of 10 cm from the floor (this is necessary so that the animals do not climb inside). A bottle is attached with the neck down over the bowl.
The neck must not come into contact with the container, otherwise water will not flow out.
The container with water must be fixed outside the access zone of pets, otherwise they will gnaw it in a few days. To learn how to make do-it-yourself drinkers for rabbits, watch the video.
It is better to fix the plastic container from the outside of the cage so that the pets cannot chew on it.
Breeders do this type on their own. To do this, place a bottle of water with its open neck down on the container. In this case, some of the liquid is poured out, and pets can drink it from the bowl. As you drink, pour some water into the container.
- food or debris may fall into the bowl;
- the bottle may turn over and water will run out;
- in winter there is a possibility of freezing of the vacuum drinker.
- you can make this drinker yourself;
- the liquid in the bottle remains clean and can be easily added if necessary;
- manufacturing of vacuum equipment does not take much time.
In order to make automatic drinkers for a large number of rabbits, prepare a plastic tank with a volume of at least 10 liters, a plastic or rubber tube, and several nipples. Not far from the cages, a water tank is installed, from which a plastic pipe is brought to the cages. Holes are made in it, placing them opposite each cell. A narrow hose with a nipple is inserted into each hole.
Cup water container
- a drinking bowl for rabbits often overturns due to the frisky movement of animals in the cage;
- food, wool and waste products of the eared easily get into it, the contents quickly become contaminated and become unfit for drinking;
- an inverted bowl deprives pets of access to water and moistens the bedding, and this can provoke a disease of the entire family.
- it is quite easy to find a suitable cup on the farm, so this method is completely inexpensive.
It is convenient to use nipple drinkers for rabbits. Their principle of operation is based on the fact that by touching the nipple ball with the tongue, the pet receives water, which flows through the tube from the container.
- in winter, the nipple freezes, and water access becomes impossible;
- buying a device will require some costs.
- animals cannot pollute or overflow water, it always remains clean;
- you see the level of the liquid and, if necessary, you can change it;
- it is convenient to add drugs or soluble vitamins to the container;
- rabbits use water sparingly, since it does not splash, but goes straight into their mouth;
- such drinkers for rabbits with your own hands can be made from scrap materials.
Do-it-yourself drinking bowls for rabbits from different materials
If the cup method suits you, then you do not have to do anything with your own hands. It is enough to put a plastic or metal container in the cage, which will be suitable in size.
For one individual, it is better to choose a smaller bowl, and if several rabbits live in the cage, then the container will need a larger diameter.