DIY dog booth: 60 photos, drawing and instructions
Every dog living in the yard of a private house needs a reliable shelter that will protect from bad weather and help keep warm on a cold winter night. A do-it-yourself dog booth does not require much time from you, nor a large amount of materials, nor outstanding builder skills.
Insulated kennel for a dog: drawings.
There are many ways to build an insulated doghouse, but we will focus on just one of them. This method combines two techniques at once that make the booth warm.
And secondly, the walls of the main compartment are made double. The air gap between them will significantly reduce heat loss, and the animal will be able to quickly heat a small space inside the booth with the heat of its body.
Our kennel is designed for medium-sized dogs (up to 50cm at the withers). If your pet is much larger or, on the contrary, smaller, then it may be necessary to proportionally increase or decrease the size of the booth so that the dog is comfortable.
Another design trick to take advantage of is the removable roof.
You can make it open like a chest lid. all you need is a couple of hinges. But a booth with such a roof can be easily cleaned if necessary.
Do-it-yourself dog booth: stages of work.
The first thing to do is cut out all the necessary parts according to the plan. Do not forget that in addition to plywood, you will also need 80×40 timber. In addition, if you will be using a circular saw, remember that when marking out, take into account the thickness of the blade with which you will be sawing.
Then assemble the structure by attaching the plywood to the beams with self-tapping screws.
Assembling the booth from finished parts does not take much time. It remains for us to install an internal partition and a roof.
We also doubled the floor in the main room to minimize heat loss.
If the dog has to spend the winter in this booth, then it makes sense to fill the space between the plywood sheets with insulation. Insulation can also help keep the booth cooler during the summer months. However, you should not use vapor-permeable insulation like mineral wool, as they can pick up moisture in the off-season, which can reduce their effectiveness to zero.
Use solid vapor-proof insulation such as extruded polystyrene foam. It is sold in sheets of various thicknesses, and is absolutely not afraid of moisture, so it does not lose its properties in wet weather. It can be used to insulate not only the walls, but also the floor and roof of the booth.
When installing, it is advisable to tilt the roof slightly towards the rear wall so that water can drain from it.
Obviously, the plywood on the roof will quickly get wet and become unusable, so you need to cover it with any roofing material that you have at hand: everything from roofing material to metal tiles will do. It’s time to use the leftovers from the roof of a house or garage.
That’s all! The booth is ready to move in. For beauty, you can sheathe it outside with clapboard.
Important! And the last small, but very important detail: try to raise the booth above the ground. You can attach legs to it from below, or just put it on bricks, but in any case, provide some clearance between the floor and the ground. This will not only help the dog dry out and warm up in cold weather, but will also extend the life of the booth, because its bottom will not be exposed to excessive moisture.
DIY dog booth: design options
It’s good when the doghouse fits harmoniously into the overall design of the site, so we offer you several interesting design options.
Dogs often like to sit on an elevated position off the ground, especially during wet seasons. You can supplement the basic structure of the booth with additional extensions.
Your dog will certainly appreciate it, why not please him?
How to build a dog kennel
As you can see, there is nothing complicated in the basic design of an insulated doghouse. And small, simple additional details will give it great practicality and convenience for your four-legged friend. A do-it-yourself dog box will become a home for your pet in which he will feel like a full-fledged owner. Please your dog with a great home and you can be sure that he will repay you with loyalty and love.
Do-it-yourself dog booth: step-by-step instructions for creating housing for a dog
Materials and tools needed to make a do-it-yourself dog kennel
In order to make a booth with your own hands, you must use environmentally friendly materials, it is best to use a tree (conifers). For construction, lining is used, 12.5 mm thick (outer cladding), as well as fiberboard, chipboard, plywood and floorboard. You will also need bars in sizes 100100, 4040 and 10050. To create external corners and decor of the booth, use a wooden corner, as well as a symmetrical plinth and decorative slats.
To insulate the booth (and this must be done), use glassine, foam and mineral wool. The roofing material of the booth will be a galvanized profiled sheet or slate. It is not recommended to use bituminous shingles and roofing felt for these purposes, because out of habit, the dog will gnaw them and thereby harm its health.
The tools that we need in order to make a booth with our own hands are as follows:
- Building level
- Hacksaw or circular
- Galvanized nails
- Paint (pinotex)
- Drying oil
- Antiseptic impregnation for wood
Choosing the size of the dog booth
The first step is to determine the size of the dog booth. To do this, we determine what kind of dog you have in size. There are 3 types of dogs: small, medium and large. Accordingly, dachshunds and similar dogs are referred to representatives of small ones, German shepherds are medium-sized, and Caucasian shepherd dogs are large. Based on this classification, it is customary to make booths of the following sizes:
- For small dogs: 700 550 600 mm (where the length is the first and the height is the last)
- For medium dogs: 1200 750 800 mm
- For large dogs: 1400-1000950 mm
The dimensions of the doghouse are allowed to be adjusted based on the dimensions of your own dog.
In order to correctly determine the size of the booth, you must adhere to this technique:
D.I.Y. Dog Kennel. D.I.Y. At Bunnings
- In order to correctly choose the width of the hole, measure the width of the dog’s chest and add 5-8 cm to this value.
- The ideal height of the manhole is 5 cm below the height of the dog’s withers.
- The height of the booth should be 5-8 cm at the withers.
- The depth of the booth equals its height (except for some dog breeds, which dictate their own booth dimensions)
As mentioned earlier, the size of the booth can be slightly “moved”, but only to a greater value, especially if the booth is being built for a puppy.
During the construction of the booth, it is necessary to be aware of the following points:
- Accommodation for the dog should be comfortable so that it can lie down, turn around or stand up.
- The inlet should not be narrow, it is better, on the contrary, to slightly widen it for convenience
- The booth must be covered with insulation so that the dog does not freeze in the winter.
- The walls and roof must provide reliable protection from wind and precipitation.
- The material for making the booth must be environmentally friendly so that the dog does not spoil its health while living in the booth (it is best to use wood)
- The booth must be correctly located on the backyard territory (the side must not be windy, and the dog must see everything that happens on the territory)
- The roof can be either single-pitched or double-pitched, there is no big difference
- For convenience, make a small attic under the roof of the booth where you can put dog toys, dishes and other accessories.
- The manhole must be built in the direction of the long wall so that the dog can more conveniently climb into the booth
If you are the owner of a large dog, it is recommended to build a booth in a dog enclosure, which is also not difficult to build with your own hands.
After we have decided on the size of the booth, we proceed to sketching a drawing, with the help of which it is easier to build a booth with our own hands.
Drawings of the dog house
As soon as the drawing, and therefore the type of housing for the dog, is chosen, we proceed to creating a booth with our own hands.
How to make a dog kennel: step by step instructions
First of all, we cut the boards. In the event that the roof is single-pitched, the rear wall of the booth should be shorter than the front one so that the rainwater slope behind the booth.
We prepare wooden blocks for the booth frame. Better to make the length of the bars with a small margin.
We knock off the frame of the booth in accordance with the previously prepared drawing
We sheathe the frame of the booth from the inside with boards, it is immediately recommended to build a roof. So that the dog does not get hurt, the boards must be sanded.
We construct a manhole in the front wall of the booth, the ends of which also need to be processed
Now we turn to insulation: we must insulate the floors, walls and roof with foam, on top of which the outer wall of the boards will be fixed.
After that, we sheathe the outer part of the booth using the material of your choice (fiberboard, chipboard, lining, etc.). If materials permit, it is recommended to use wood siding.
We sew and insulate the frame of the dog booth
Next, we proceed to sealing cracks and seams, so that wind and precipitation do not worsen the cozy location of the dog. As a sealant, you can use slats, plinths, glazing beads, etc., the main thing is that they are wooden.
After sealing, we move on to the roof of the roof. For this, it is best to use slate sheets.
Well, in the end, it remains to treat the finished dog booth with an antiseptic and install the building on bricks or a pallet so that the floor does not rot on damp earth
That’s all, the do-it-yourself dog booth is ready! It remains only to paint it and install it in a suitable place.!
Photo of dog booths
Another similar article: do-it-yourself birdhouse for the garden, go in and read!
Description of the assembly process
So, putting together a doghouse is not so difficult if all the necessary tools and materials are at hand. Here is an approximate list of works:
- Bottom and frame. We assemble the frame for the bottom from 40×40 bars, after which we nail the floorboards, trying not to leave gaps so that it is warmer. If the dog is heavy, you can additionally strengthen the floor with 40×40 bars so that it does not sag. At the corners of the finished bottom, we vertically fix the bars 100×100. They will form the basis for the walls. Now the structure resembles an inverted table. Between the main bars, perpendicular to the bottom, we install bars 40×40. They will support the roof, strengthen the walls and mark the entrance.
- Walls. For cladding the outer part of the booth, it is better to use lining, which, unlike plywood, will not delaminate over time. We fix the cladding with galvanized nails with small caps.
- Ceiling. If the booth is to be located in an aviary or under a canopy, then you can get by with such a ceiling, which is also a roof. If the kennel does not have any additional protection against bad weather, you need to make the ceiling and roof separately, leaving a space between them. the “attic”. For the ceiling, you will need plywood in size and 40×40 bars. How to insulate a dog booth? It is insulated with mineral wool or foam, laid with glassine. A second sheet of plywood is reinforced from above. It is better to make such a ceiling removable in order to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary care to the animal. If there is no additional roof, the ceiling is covered with roofing material and bituminous tiles.
- Waterproofing and insulation. We turn the structure upside down. We treat it with antiseptic impregnation, cover it with roofing material and nail on top of it additional 100×50 bars, which we also impregnate with “Senezh”. Turn the structure over again, line the bottom with glassine, then put the insulation and again glassine. We lay the finished floor. Similarly, we insulate the walls and sheathe them from the inside with clapboard. We make a frame for a manhole and a threshold.
- Roof. Initially, roof gables are made. For the perimeter, bars 40×40 are needed, glassine is attached from the inside, and the structure is sheathed on top with clapboard.
- Laz. It is recommended to close the inlet with a curtain made of tarpaulin. So that it does not open from the wind, you can sew small polyethylene s on it from the inside below, into which you can pour sand.
The outside of the booth can be covered with pinotex. This will extend its service life and give the product a pleasant aesthetic appearance.
It is simply necessary to use antiseptic and waterproofing impregnations, otherwise your booth will have to be rebuilt in a year
You can use glassine as insulation, or you can use any other material that you prefer.
The lining of the lining is covered with roofing material and bituminous tiles. this is the simplest and cheapest option
Determination of building parameters
The size of the dog booth is of great importance. In a very spacious kennel it will be cold in winter, and in a cramped one. neither lie down nor turn around. Therefore, we will build a kennel based on the individual parameters of our dog.
For each dog it is better to make an individual “cut” booth. it is necessary to calculate the optimal dimensions
- The height of the booth is determined based on the growth of the animal at the withers with the addition of the thickness of the intended bedding and another 10-15 cm.The dog should move along the booth, tilting his head, and sit in it without touching the ceiling.
- The depth of the kennel should allow the animal to lie on its side with its legs extended. To determine this parameter, you need to put the dog down and measure the distance from its withers to the tips of its front paws, add 10-15 cm.
- The width of the dwelling is the combined width of the dog’s vestibule and bed. The berth can be 10-15 cm wider than the distance from the dog’s nose to the base of its tail. The width of the vestibule is determined depending on the build of the dog. It should be comfortable for her to enter and exit the booth. Sometimes the vestibule is made more of a sleeping place, because here the dog can lie on its side in summer, and in winter it will rest on a sleeping place, curled up in a ball.
- The height of the entrance hole (manhole) is 5-9 cm less than the height of the dog at the withers.
- The width of the hole should be 5-8 cm wider than the dog’s chest.
The scheme of the dog booth is needed after the owner has finally decided on the parameters of the future building. Having such a drawing, it will be easier to calculate the need for materials so as not to buy anything superfluous.
Stages of building a dog house
A warm winter kennel for a dog is not always needed, even if it will be on the site in winter. It is better to make a universal kennel that can be operated in both warm and cold seasons. Such a booth should consist of two parts. a vestibule for the entrance and a sleeping place, where the dog will not be afraid of any cold.
Preparation of the necessary material
When deciding how to make a dog kennel, do not make life difficult for yourself and your faithful dog. It should proceed from his understanding of comfort, and not your boundless material possibilities. No need for stone palaces, artificial lighting and vinyl siding.
Particularly loving owners build whole castles for their pets
The animal will experience discomfort in such dwellings.
There should be no protruding knots or protruding chips on the surface of the tree.
Regular softwood is the best material for a dog house. It is the breathable wood that will be able to provide the air circulation necessary for the dog and, therefore, the microclimate it needs. The tree that makes up the base of the booth must first be prepared: clean it so that the animal does not injure itself and does not splinter its paws.
Note that the service life of coniferous wood is 7-8 years. After this period, it is necessary to check the structure for strength and replace the failed elements in time.
- bars of the following sizes (in mm): 100×100, 40×40, 100×50;
- decorative slats;
- roofing material;
- mineral wool or foam;
- bituminous tiles;
- galvanized nails;
- antiseptic impregnation of the “Senezh” type;
The inside of the booth does not need to be treated with antiseptics and other odorous substances. Remember that dogs have a finer sense of smell than humans. For us, an extraneous smell may be imperceptible, but it will torment and annoy the dog.
Do-it-yourself dog booth: building a frame insulated structure
Many in childhood dream of having a dog. But in a city apartment there is not enough space for her, but a country house gives the opportunity to finally make childhood dreams come true. It will be spacious enough even for a large dog. The dog that will live here will become not only a watchman and reliable guard of the site. He will be a true friend. The main merit of a dog is that it loves its owner as he is, without demanding a reward for his affection. But friendship presupposes mutual care and attention. A good owner will not leave his loyal dog without a comfortable home. A do-it-yourself dog booth is the surest way to take care of your friend.
How to find the right place?
As well as for the guard post, the place for the booth must be carefully selected:
- The kennel should not be blown by the wind, so the most frequent wind direction must be taken into account.
- The place for such a dwelling should be bright, but within the reach of the dog there should be a shaded area where the animal could hide in the heat.
- It is better to place the booth in a dry place. on a hill so that water cannot accumulate under it.
- The kennel is placed near the entrance to the residential building, on the south side.
- From his observation post, the dog should see the main part of the site and the entrance gate (gate).
The last principle of site selection requires a special explanation. Owners of dogs, whose pets live with them in city apartments, know that the dog always tries to find a position in which he has the maximum view. Even if it sometimes interferes with the owner, who thinks that the dog is simply getting tangled under his feet. The centuries-old instinct of the guard makes her choose the best place to protect the owner.
It is better to place the booth in a dry place and on a hill.
From his observation post, the dog should see the main part of the site.
Dog kennel care
Now that we know how to build a dog house, all that remains is to figure out how to care for this home.
The ceiling can be made removable to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary care to the animal
The kennel should be cleaned regularly: at least once a month. Disinfection of the booth should be carried out monthly in summer, and once a season in spring and winter. It is necessary to remove scraps, bones and other similar items, to process the booth from parasites with lysol, formalin or three percent creolin. Until the solutions dry, the dog should not enter the booth.
Do-it-yourself dog booth. Drawings and dimensions. Best Master Classes
A booth with a gable roof. Master Class
It is recommended to create roofs with two slopes on small booths, because such structures increase the weight of structures that are inconvenient to lift during cleaning.
The temporarily fixed roof frame is removed and the inside is sheathed with plywood. Then the structure is turned over to its natural position. Further, glassine is fixed on the plywood, on which the insulation is laid. Then the insulating material is covered again with glassine. At the end, the corrugated board is fixed. Self-tapping screws are used to fix it.
The frame, sheathed, on one side, with boards, is turned upside down. Its inner part is covered with glassine, which is fixed with staples from a stapler. Then the foam is laid between the beams. This material is cut according to the dimensions of the frame, and its thickness should be equal to the height of the beams. Then the insulation is covered with a layer of glassine and a finished floor is created.
Sheathing the kennel
A wooden kennel for a dog is sheathed from the outside with clapboard. During work, you need to ensure that there are no gaps between the boards. Roofing material is laid on the bottom and, if necessary, supports made of beams are fixed.
Do-it-yourself booth with a vestibule
To make the dog booth more comfortable, you can build it with a vestibule. Such a dwelling for a dog will consist of two sections:
- the distant part, which is a sleeping place;
- near part for increased protection against cold and draft.
The compartments are separated from each other by means of an insulated partition, in which the access hole is located.
It is not so difficult to make a kennel for a dog, but during its construction it is not recommended to make a large sleeping place, since almost all dogs curl up while sleeping. In this case, it is necessary to provide for the opportunity for the animal to stretch freely in the vestibule when it rests in this place. Therefore, the size of such a part of the house should correspond to the height of the dog.
Booth for a dog with a vestibule. Dimensions and drawing
The assembly of the structure with a vestibule takes place in the same way as for other booths. A distinctive feature of such a house is the partition between the two sections of the dog’s dwelling. It is created from bars with a section of 40×40 mm, plywood, insulation material and self-tapping screws. First, a frame is made, the dimensions of which correspond to the width and height of the booth room. Then plywood is nailed to it, on the one hand. Then insulation is laid in it, on top of which another sheet of plywood is fixed.
In order for the partition to be easily removed, the need to take two slats from wood and select longitudinal grooves in them using a cutter. Their width should be equal to the thickness of the partition. After that, the slats are fixed on the walls of the booth. After that, it remains to insert the partition into the created grooves.
According to the drawing of the dog booth, a bar with a size of 100 mm on each side is cut into 4 parts. Two of them must have a length equal to the height of the structure, and the other 2 parts of the frame must be 70-100 mm longer. All cut bars are mounted strictly vertically in the corners of the bottom. Longer posts are fixed in front with nails or self-tapping screws, and others in the back of the kennel. Thanks to this arrangement, the roof will have a slope. Also, when creating a frame, additional bars are used, which are fixed in the center of the walls in a vertical position. Two bars are also installed on the sides of the manhole, but they are small in size. In order for the frame to have increased strength, it is necessary to use metal plates with the help of which the internal joints are reinforced.
Determining the size of the booth
Making a kennel out of pallets is most beneficial for large dogs, such as a shepherd or husky. Even for very large animals, the height and width of a standard wooden pallet approximates the size of a dog, so there is a chance to build a dog house from pallets with a minimum amount of material cuts.
You will need to measure the width of the sternum, the length and height of the animal’s body
But it is impossible to build a kennel on the “peephole”, otherwise the dog will be uncomfortable, and the animal may refuse new housing. For the correct layout of the structure, you will need to measure the dog and determine the most important dimensions:
- The length, or more precisely, the depth of the booth. It is taken as the length of a lying animal with legs extended forward plus an additional 15 cm;
- The width of the booth is determined by the height of the dog at the withers plus 10 cm. It is believed that the dog should be able to lie on its side with its legs fully extended;
- The vertical dimension of the entrance hole or manhole into the booth is determined by the height of the dog in a standing position from the tips of the paws to the base of the neck;
- The manhole width is calculated by the formula. To do this, measure the girth or circumference of the dog’s chest at the widest point and divide the resulting value by 3.14;
- The height of the booth should be 10 cm higher than the height of the dog at the withers.
It is clear that the recommendations given apply to an adult dog of average build. Different animals may differ in body proportions, so you have to take into account such nuances as the age of the dog and the optimal shape of the entrance hole.
This is done so that the pallet booth does not turn out to be too cold and at the same time is properly ventilated, which is important for dogs with a very dense undercoat, which suffer especially from heat. Laikas, huskies, buhundas, malamutes and even the Moscow watchdog can simply ignore the booth.
Projects with drawings of pallet doghouses
There are two options for the construction technology of a dog kennel, shield and frame. In the first case, the pallets are disassembled into separate slats and bars. A rough frame is also assembled from them. Further, boards are assembled from OSB or plywood, with which they are lined with the booth. In this case, pallets serve as source of wooden battens, boards and beams.
The second option is more interesting, as it allows you to build a kennel for the shepherd from pallets, which provides a higher level of comfort for the animal. In this case, a supporting frame is made from the pallet frame, often at the same time with the roof rafter system.
The booth frame is assembled from pallet frame parts
The boards left over from the dismantling of the pallet are used for cutting the slats and facing the walls of the future booth.
In any case, one of the entire pallets will need to be prepared for flooring or laying the dog. The pallet design provides good thermal insulation and ventilation, often the owners assemble a whole platform from 2-3 pallets, on which the booth is installed.
How to make a do-it-yourself insulated dog kennel from pallets
First of all, you need to decide on the roof device, you can make a flat, single-slope or dual-slope. It is better not to use the first two options, such booths for dogs from pallets, photos, noticeably lose in appearance and retain heat poorly.
Gable roof booths are more practical and interesting in design.
In addition, there is a risk that the dog may choose a roof for rest, and it will be almost impossible to wean him from this activity.
First of all, we choose the most durable and even pallet, we clean it with a grinder from wood pile. We disassemble the remaining pallets into three flat blanks, sew them up solidly with the boards remaining from disassembly.
The next step is to assemble the frame of the walls. Two pallets were used for the booth frame.
From the third pallet we collect the rafters of the gable roof, we sew the gables
It remains only to lay the corrugated board and fix the coating with self-tapping screws.
How to make a dog kennel out of pallets with your own hands
The boards and beams used for the manufacture of pallets are almost always of good quality. The material is preliminarily rejected according to the structure of the wood and necessarily undergoes treatment against putrefactive microflora. As a result, the dog pallet booth is durable, strong, and if you guessed right with the size and design, then it is also convenient for the wintering of the animal.
Which pallets to use
For the construction of the booth, it is best to use fresh pallets or at least not older than two years of operation. Pallets should be free of traces of technical fluids, paint or fuels and lubricants. Do not use pallets used for the transportation of modern chemicals, the smell is so ingrained into the wood that it often causes severe eye irritation in dogs.
Very old pallets can be tried, but only after firing with a gas burner and machining with a bronze bristle brush. As a rule, after stripping, high-quality wood changes color from gray to dark coffee, in general, a good option for a dog booth.
Calculation of materials
If you build a booth according to a panel scheme, then for the frame it will be enough to pick up one pallet, about 5 m of timber, with a section of 40×40 mm. For wall cladding on the kennel, you will need two two-meter sheets of plywood or OSB and the same amount of insulation.
In the case of building a house for a dog according to a wireframe scheme, you will need:
- At least three pallets;
- Bar 40×40 mm in the amount of 2.5 m;
- Vapor barrier film not less than 5 m 2
- A small rail, with a section of 20×30 mm, about 6-7 m.It is used for sewing up cracks and fixing a vapor barrier.
In addition, you will need to select the type of roof and the material for the roofing.
The pallet is pre-cleaned, washed from stains and dried in the shade
What tools and materials will be required
To make a kennel, in addition to the pallets themselves, you will need to prepare a fairly large set of tools:
- Manual jigsaw with a blade for cutting wood;
- Table saw with circular saw for cutting material;
- Belt or vibration sander with coarse and medium size emery;
- Electric drill with brush attachment with bronze bristles;
- Screwdriver with an attachment for screwing self-tapping screws;
- Joiner’s square;
- A pair of clamps;
- Drill set;
- Ruler or tape measure.
In addition, you will need any insulation materials made of natural fiber, a vapor barrier film, a sheet of corrugated board for the manufacture of roofing. You will also need to stock up on self-tapping screws for wood with a length of 25 to 75 mm, and at the same time prepare a hand saw with a blade for metal.
If the fastener is too long, it is necessary to cut the self-tapping screw after screwing, otherwise the dog in the booth can easily be injured.
Sawing with your hands is not an option, you get tired quickly, and the quality of the booth will be low
What is suitable for insulating a doghouse
If your pet lives on the street, be sure to insulate his house. When choosing a heat insulator, first of all, it is necessary to build on the material of manufacture of the kennel itself. Consider the most optimal options.
If you nevertheless decide to choose such a heater, it must be carefully waterproofed and additional cladding should be used.
You need to insulate the entire booth: the floor, and the walls, and the roof. Be sure to cover the material with a vapor barrier. In addition, it is necessary to make a canopy in the kennel to protect against precipitation inside.
Advice! Artificial insulation can give off odors, so over time, dogs’ sense of smell will diminish. Experts recommend using only natural heat insulators for a warm dog house.
How to make a do-it-yourself booth for a dog: features of the choice of materials
Before starting construction, the owner must first decide on the material. Experts advise you to follow the following recommendations for choosing the raw materials necessary for the construction of a house:
- a tree is considered the most suitable;
- for walls, you can replace the tree with plywood or clapboard;
- both a timber and a metal profile are suitable for the frame;
- a brick is an excellent option, such a booth will stand for more than a dozen years;
- any kind of blocks are acceptable;
- you can use a stone. you can not find it so often, such a booth requires mandatory insulation.
All material must be carefully sanded, treated with an antiseptic and protective compounds. Self-tapping screws and other fasteners should not injure the animal.
When using certain materials, you must remember:
- paint or varnish when heated can cause an allergic reaction in a pet;
- metal will bring discomfort both in hot and cold seasons;
- pressed panels will quickly deteriorate and lose their strength;
- instead of slate for roofing, it is better to use shingles, ondulin or roofing material.
How to build a doghouse: a step-by-step master class
Do-it-yourself master class on building a doghouse from boards with a photo description of the stages of work.
In more detail, the master class can be viewed at
How to make a reliable brick doghouse with your own hands
Instead of brick, you can use natural stone with mandatory insulation. Such a kennel will last much longer than a tree house.
The whole construction process consists of the following stages.
- Pour the foundation and leave for a few days to set.
- Build a box with mandatory control of the verticality of surfaces and the correctness of the output of the corners.
- At the place of the inlet, skip several rows, upon reaching a certain height, lay a jumper from a wooden bar.
- Further erect a solid wall.
- When the box is ready, you can start insulation, as well as make a floor from boards and beams.
- Make a roof overlap from timber and boards.
- Install a wooden roof frame.
- Fix the roof covering.
The exterior decoration of the house is carried out at the request of the owner. You can simply plaster the wall or lay tiles.
In the video, you can see in more detail the principle of erecting a brick booth:
How to correctly determine the size of a doghouse and take into account all the nuances
When starting the construction of a new kennel for his dog, the owner must correctly calculate its size.
|Lase (W × D × H), cm||Entrance (W × H), cm|
|Small: Toy Terrier, Pekingese, Dachshund and others||70 × 55 × 60||30 × 40|
|Medium: Shar Pei, Bull Terrier, Rottweiler and others||115 × 75 × 80||35 × 50|
|Large: St. Bernard, Collie, Great Dane and others||135 × 100 × 95||40 × 60|
It is necessary to focus on the actual parameters of the pet, since in each case there are deviations from the breed standard. Therefore, owners should know the formula for calculating the size of the kennel:
- the height of the house is equal to the height of the dog at the withers, plus an additional 5 cm;
- the depth is equal to the dimensions of the pet in an extended lying state, with an additional 5 cm.
Breed to booth ratio table
Detailed instructions for making do-it-yourself dog booths
Any dog needs its own house, especially one that lives in the fresh air. This way, the home caretaker will feel as comfortable as possible, regardless of the weather and time of year. It can be made in just a couple of hours from materials that are quite affordable for every owner. It is important to correctly build a structure that matches the growth of the pet. Today the editorial staff of Homius has prepared a story about how to make a dog kennel with your own hands. Real photo examples will help you choose the best option.
How to build a wooden dog house with your own hands
Wood is the best material for building a dog house with your own hands. You can use any boards, block house, thin log cabins, slabs, even pallets for pallets with additional sheathing with plywood.