Craft from nuts
A curious toy can be made from walnut shells without much effort. For work, you must prepare the following items:
- whole-shell nuts;
- washer made of metal.
Consider the step-by-step execution of work.
- Walnuts must be carefully chopped into two halves, while they must remain intact. You can treat a rodent with a core, such a delicacy will be not only tasty for him, but also useful.
- Prepare a piece of rope that fits the size of the cage (keep in mind its height). The rope must be strong.
- Using a hammer and nail, punch a hole in each shell in the center.
- Tie a washer to the end of the rope.
- Next, string the peeled walnut halves on it.
- Remember to leave some free space to securely attach the toy to the top rod of the cage.
You can improve this product by putting the animal’s favorite treats in the shell. As you can see, available materials and very little time are required to manufacture the structure.
What should be?
The main requirement for crafts is safety for the rodent. Be sure to inspect the finished product for sharp parts and other elements that could harm your pet. It is strictly forbidden to use toxic materials. These include varnishes, paints and other similar compounds. When assembling some structures, you may need glue. Opt for quality formulations that can be used indoors and in homes with small children and pets.
If you decide to make a staircase, labyrinth or other similar instruction, accurately calculate its size and shape. The animal should be comfortable while playing.
Features of the
In natural conditions, rodents are constantly moving. Thus, they protect themselves from predators and seek food for themselves. Hamsters living in confinements must also constantly move to maintain their physical shape. An active lifestyle is also essential for pets to be in a good mood.
The animal must have several toys. The cost of some of them can be high, in this case, you can collect available materials and please your pet with interesting crafts. The number of toys can be any, the main thing is that there is enough free space in the cage. It is best to craft several different items.
Cardboard rolls left over from kitchen paper towels can be used to create a simple yet fun toy.
how to make a homemade rat harness
To create a craft, you will need the following:
- a piece of dainty for the hamster.
It’s quite easy to get the job done.
- Cut off 5 rings of the same size from the tube.
- Next, you need to insert the rings into each other so that the result is a cross section. No need to use glue, paper clips or other connecting elements.
- We put a delicacy for the pet inside the structure and place the toy in the cage. Thus, the hamster will get to the yummy through the cardboard rings. The pleasant and appetizing smell of the delicacy will attract the attention of the rodent to the craft.
Hamster toys: selection and making
How to do it yourself?
At home, anyone can make homemade interesting toys for their pet.
All toys that are chosen for domestic rodents are aimed at two tasks:
- search for delicacies;
- motivation for movement and activity.
In some products, these two goals can be successfully combined. It should be noted that the treat for the hamster is safely hidden. To get to a delicious treat, you need to go through a labyrinth or cope with a tricky design. The smell of food is an additional incentive to complete the maze or perform other actions.
The rest of the products that do not hide food are considered exercise equipment. The most common toy of this type is the running wheel.
A fabric hammock will not only be a great toy for your pet, but also a cage decoration.
To make it you will need the following:
- satin ribbon (length about 25 centimeters);
- floss thread;
- a piece of felt (this material is great for a product due to its reliability and excellent shape retention);
- a piece of soap or chalk (for marking).
There are several steps involved in getting the job done.
- Cut 2 identical strips. Dimensions. 20×24 centimeters.
- Use chalk or soap to draw semicircles around the edges of the fabric. Remember that they should not reach the perpendicular edges of the felt by about one and a half centimeters.
- Lay the strips one on top of the other. Cut stripes along the marked edges.
- The tape is cut into 4 identical pieces. It is recommended to burn the edges with fire so that they do not begin to crumble.
- Fold the ribbons in half. Attach their edges to the two corners of the fabric. Sew them so that the tape goes into the hammock by about 3 centimeters.
- Do the work with the remaining corners.
- Cover the edges of the garment using a floss seam. Dimensions between the loops. 0.5 centimeters.
- If you want to make the toy more comfortable for the rodent, you can put a little padding polyester between two pieces of fabric and sew the product.
For information on how to make a hammock for a hamster, see the next video.
Do I need a leash?
To provide the hamster with physical activity and at the same time not to lose the pet while walking, a small harness is used. Its size should correspond to the size of the animal and be comfortable enough so as not to impede movement and at the same time not to interfere.
- harness vest;
- a leash with a collar;
- walking ball.
The usual harness has the shape of a figure eight, fastened in the middle with a leather lining, to which the leash is attached. One ring of figure eight is threaded under the pet’s tummy, and the other is fixed in front of the front paws, covering the neck.
If such a harness is larger or smaller than the pet, then it will be uncomfortable for him to breathe, or the hamster will fall out of it, so the harness attachment is movable so that it can be adjusted to the size of the pet.
The size of the harness is checked with the little finger: if you can put a finger between the mount and the back, then this is the optimal size for a hamster.
The harness-vest resembles a vest with a leash fastening on top. The model is comfortable, does not interfere with movement, and the animal will not fall out. A leash with a collar is worn in the same way as for other animals. This leash is only suitable for large breed hamsters. This is the least comfortable model. In it, safety measures are especially important: to prevent falling out of the collar, not to make sudden jerks, etc.
A walking ball is a ball made of polymers or plastic with breathing holes and a side cap. After putting the hamster in the ball, just close the lid and let it go on the floor or on the platform.
So the animal will be safe from contact with cats or dogs, and nothing will interfere with its movements. A ball is a better option for muscle training and motor activity than a wheel in a cage.
How to make a hamster leash with your own hands
How to make and put on a leash for a hamster
The tendency to provide motor activity for this rodent arose not very long ago.
And this is due to the fact that in the wild a hamster can run up to 10 km per night in search of the main food. cereals.
Tools and materials
To make a leash, you will need:
- pencil, ruler and sheet of paper for drawing;
- main fabric for the vest;
- synthetic winterizer. for the insulated version;
- cardboard. for an orthopedic vest;
- elastic material for the harness;
- ring-mount for a leash;
- scissors, thread and a needle.
Instructions for making a harness-vest:
- take a sheet of paper and cut out a rectangle approximately the size of the animal;
- attach a paper rectangle to your pet’s back;
- carefully draw a gentle curve where the hamster has its front legs. the upper part of the vest should be fastened around the neck, and the lower part on the abdomen, leaving the front legs free. The vest should not hinder the movement of the pet’s hind legs;
- correct the sketch if necessary;
- cut out the vest according to the sketched dimensions and try on;
- attach the pattern and transfer it to the fabric;
- if a synthetic winterizer is added inside to warm the hamster in the autumn-spring period, then cut out 2 identical parts of the pattern from the fabric, taking into account the seams;
- sew the fabric part and insert a synthetic winterizer into it;
- if you are making an orthopedic version of the vest, then add cardboard 1 cm smaller than the fabric pattern under the synthetic winterizer;
- attach a leash ring at the top of the vest;
- if you have a long elastic belt, then it can be used as a leash;
- a long harness can also be sewn from elastic fabrics;
- on the vest, install buttons or latches to fasten it on the neck and on the abdomen;
- insert the leash into the mount.
How to properly put on a leash on your hamster
To put a standard harness on your hamster, you must:
- take the leash in your hand so as to keep both rings at the same time in the same plane;
- put on a larger ring under the abdomen, a smaller one under the neck;
- on the larger ring it is possible to adjust its width so that it is convenient to fix it on the hamster;
- check the fasteners and tighten them if necessary.
How to put a leash on your hamster
To put on a sewn leash-vest you need:
- attach the vest to the back;
- fasten both fasteners. on the stomach and on the neck;
- insert the leash into the fastening ring.
You can choose any form of pet walking. But it is impossible to leave him without movement in the cage, since this negatively affects his health and provokes obesity and other pathologies.
You also do not need to walk your hamster outside to avoid contact with infections, worms and skin parasites, but creating conditions for him to walk around the house is quite within the power of everyone.
How to make a house for hamsters with your own hands
Having decided on the choice, we can start building.
Here is a step-by-step instruction for making 4 options for houses:
- made of wood;
- made of plastic (for simplicity, we use a ready-made plastic bottle);
- made of cardboard;
- coconut shell.
What can you make a house for hamsters
As a building material for the future home of your pet, you can use any available items. It is only important that they are non-toxic and, if possible, durable, since the little rodent will definitely try to test the new “apartment” for strength.
- wooden planks, planks or slats (a smart option is to collect the required number of popsicle sticks);
- other natural material of suitable size, for example, coconut shell;
- organic glass;
- thick cardboard (some use toilet rolls or ready-made boxes for this purpose);
- plywood residues (chipboard or fiberboard).
Evaluating the pros and cons of the above options, it should be noted that, on the one hand, a dwelling made of natural material is most suitable for any animal.
But, on the other hand, you need to be prepared for the fact that both a wooden and a coconut house will constantly be undermined by the teeth of its inhabitant, and besides, upon contact with food debris, urine and other organic matter accumulating in the cell, such material will inevitably accumulate and pathogenic organisms multiply. bacteria and fungi that are unsafe for the animal inside.
In no case should you cover the tree with varnish or other protective agent, since they will more likely cause poisoning in the hamster. From this point of view, plastic and organic glass can be more durable and safer materials.
Plywood is not the best option for a hamster house, as it can be very toxic. As for cardboard, this option can be considered as a temporary dwelling, which will need to be changed very often due to its deliberate fragility.
How to make and equip a house for a hamster with your own hands
Perhaps there is no more comfortable pet than a hamster. Caring for such a pet is not difficult, it does not require high costs, and the modest dimensions of the animal allow it to be comfortably placed even in a small-sized city apartment. An ordinary three-liter jar is quite suitable as a dwelling for a hamster, but with a little imagination and spending a small amount of money to purchase the simplest cage, you can equip it with a house where the little inhabitant will feel comfortable and safe.
From a plastic bottle
For work we need the following tools and materials:
- a plastic bottle (a 1.5-liter is enough for a jungarik);
- stationery knife;
- matches or lighter;
- pen or felt-tip pen;
House for a hamster from a plastic bottle
Step-by-step instructions for making a house from a plastic bottle:
- The first stage is marking. We measure the desired height of the house from the bottom of the bottle and draw a line around the circumference with a felt-tip pen at the level of this height.
- Carefully cut off the marked part of the bottom of the bottle with a clerical knife.
- Using scissors, we cut out the entrance to the future house in the shape of an arch to the required size.
- Armed with matches or a lighter, we melt all the cut lines (both the bottom circumference and the passage) so that the surface is not sharp and the small inhabitant does not get hurt on its edges.
- We put the house in a cage and launch the hamster into it. Everything is very simple!
For work we need the following tools and materials:
- unpainted wooden boards (boards of fruit trees are optimal, but any hardwood can be used);
- a measuring tool (a regular school ruler will do);
- a set of cutters for wood;
- an angle grinder, electric saw or regular jigsaw;
- electric or hand drill;
- honey watercolor paint.
How to make a wooden house for hamsters with your own hands
Step-by-step instructions for making a wooden structure:
- We start with the markup (drawing). The size of the house depends on the breed of its inhabitant. For a Dzungarian hamster, a dwelling of 15 × 10 cm with a height of 9–10 cm is enough, while, for example, a Syrian hamster will be cramped in such a room. We mark the required dimensions on the boards using a ruler and a pencil.
- We outline future doors on the boards and, if desired, windows and the form of several round holes with a diameter of about 1 cm.
- We mark the roof. To ensure a small overlap, its length should be 2 cm longer than the length of the wall of the structure (in our case, 17 × 12 cm).
- We cut out the marked parts, as well as the holes provided in the walls (door and windows).
- Let’s start assembling. First, we attach a triangular roof piece to the side wall of the frame with a hammer and nails. We repeat the procedure with the second end wall.
- In the same way, we nail the front wall of the house to one and then the other end walls.
- We nail the remaining rear to the 3 finished walls.
- Let’s start assembling the roof. For convenience, we first nail down a narrow rail from above to one of the side surfaces, after which we nail the second half of the roof to it.
- It remains only to nail the finished roof to the base of the structure with 6 nails (2 on top and below on each of the 2 sides of the roof).
- At the end of the work, we carefully inspect the finished structure for the absence of protruding parts of the nails, with which the inhabitant of the dwelling can accidentally injure himself.
- If you wish, you can include finishing work in the technological process by painting the house with honey watercolors that are safe for a hamster, but the house will look quite elegant and without additional decoration.
Made of cardboard
The attractiveness of such a house is that even a child can cope with its construction, since no electrical appliances will be used. over, this house, as they say, will be built “without a single nail”.
How to make a cardboard house for a hamster
So, for work we need the following tools and materials:
- liter tetra pack from milk or fruit juice;
- stationery knife;
- pencil or felt-tip pen;
- wide adhesive tape.
Step-by-step instructions for making a cardboard house:
- Using a felt-tip pen, we make preliminary markings. We mark on the long surface of the tetrapak the desired length of the future dwelling (it will be enough to leave about half of the available length) and, using a ruler, draw the corresponding strip along the entire perimeter. from four sides.
- With a clerical knife, carefully make a puncture on the marked line, then with the help of scissors we cut the tetrapak across the markings.
- On the long side of the future house, we outline and cut out an entrance hole. In order for the animal to hide in its shelter, it is better to enter the entrance from the side, and not in the middle, in this case the house will turn out to be more comfortable.
- We start making the “floor”. With a ruler we measure the length and width of the walls of the house and cut out a rectangle of the appropriate size from the remaining half of the tetrapak.
- We attach the bottom to the house with tape. It will work reliably if the adhesive tape is glued to the entire outer side of the bottom, and on each of the four sides there will be 2-3 cm of adhesive surface, which the bottom will be attached to the corresponding wall.
The tetrapak house is not very durable, but it will take only a few minutes to completely replace it, and this has its own charm.
When and where to use the diverter tackle?
Most of the tackle has a retractable lead. This type of installation is used for fishing at any time of the year. Therefore, it is worth listing the methods of rigging and fishing, in which a diverter leash is used.
- Spinning when the lead-in can be called a Moscow rig.
- To the feeder. Helicopter leash construction is used here.
- Fishing in line, when fishing is difficult because the river has a fast flow or rocky bottom.
- Winter fishing. You can use a leash in the construction of a “helicopter” or a large weight to speed up the fishing process.
- When trolling, when the bait needs to be positioned above the grass. In this case, it is possible to use a diverter leash at great depths.
Double swivel. popular type of weaving. The main material for creating such a structure is the main line. The weight is attached to a fishing line 30 cm long, or rather to one eyelet. On the other hand, a bait is attached to a cable up to one and a half meters. In this case, the length of the cable should not be less than the length of the leash with the load.
With a sliding installation, the swivel will move along the entire length of the cord, and a structure with a bait serves as a limiter.
Among fishing enthusiasts, knitting with a triple swivel is most popular, when the tip of the main cable is fixed tightly, and the other end moves freely. A sinker is attached to the fixed part, and to the free end. bait. Thanks to this, the swivel makes unlimited movements along the sliding, along the entire length of the line. If desired, you can attach a rubber stopper to the line.
It is also possible to use a special lead wire, which is shaped like the letter “g”. It is tied just above the sinker to the main cable. It is worth noting that the main advantage of such an installation of the structure is that there are no hooks and storage is simplified. So we answered the question of how to make a leash in a deaf way.
How to make a do-it-yourself fishing leash?
What is a breakaway leader and what is it for? Only an avid fisherman can answer these questions. Now this type of installation, as a diverting leash, is very popular among fishing enthusiasts. This includes a feeder, spinning rod and an ordinary fishing rod.
The popularity of the use of diverting tackle increased only when the idea of separating bait and load from each other appeared, which makes it possible to scare away fish less. This is a kind of sinker. This type of rig can be used when hunting predatory fish or when fishing, for example, carp. How to make a diverter leash?
Benefits of using
When using a diverter leash, you can exclude the possibility of losing the bait: if fishing is carried out in a cluttered area of the reservoir, then it is better to purchase an elongated weight similar to a stick in advance, which will pass through narrow slots without problems. It is also possible to use a lead pellet, which must be attached to the end of the line.
In addition to the loss of tackle, the diverter leash is useful in the case of free play of the bait, that is, it does not reach the bottom, but moves close.
It is not difficult to make a leash at home, in addition, it is ideal for both deep fishing and fishing in shallow water, with a fast and slow current. It is important to take into account the depth of the reservoir and the bottom relief when installing the structure, and then fishing will become a pleasure.
The installation of the branch leash is carried out delicately and, of course, carefully in order to exclude damage to the equipment. How to make a leash correctly? To do this, you need to follow the knitting technology, which is as follows:
- We are preparing a couple of carbines and a sinker, the weight of which should not be less than 10 grams. It is better to choose a cylindrical sinker, a silicone leader with a fishing line up to 0.5 mm.
- Then we pass the main end of the line through the eye of one swivel, so that it glides smoothly along the cable.
- Thread the fishing line into the free eye of the swivel and pass a sinker through it. Line length should not be more than 30 cm.
- Tighten the tip of the line with a triple knot to form the loop necessary to connect the swivel to the sinker.
- We take the swivel located on the main line in our hands, and attach the leash to the free eye (on the hook).
The diverter leash has become popular due to the fact that during fishing a person can feel the whole dynamics of the game of fish, fishing it out.
Before looking for an answer to the question of how to make a leash yourself, you need to remember that fishing is carried out in such a position when the rod is vertical, which makes it easy to lift the lead.
There are two main types of installation of the structure. deaf and sliding. For a better understanding of the difference between them, it is necessary to describe each species in more detail.
Short, usually about 50 centimeters long, model. Designed for increased control over strong and tall dogs in the city. It is a long loop with carbine, worn on the arm. The design does not allow the animal to move away from the owner’s leg. This option is distinguished by the presence of a reinforced carbine, and often a shock absorber.
Allows you to change the length one and a half to two times. Convenient for quick change of the leash size, as well as for the leash of the dog. In the manufacture, metal half rings are used, sewn along the length of the leash, as well as one or two carabiners.
How to make a leash: step one. Choice of fittings
The main thing that factory models can boast of, especially if they are released under the label of eminent companies, is the presence of high-quality metal fittings. Retaining rings, half rings and carabiners are the most important part of the leash. Sometimes the life of the dog itself and the well-being of others depend on their strength.
Model for walking animals. It can be from 1.5 to 3 meters long. Most often, such a leash is leather, nylon or canvas, with one carabiner and a handle. A reliable option, the easiest to manufacture. Can be completed with padded handle, reflective tape or cushioning elastic. Training option. a leash of the same design, but 10 meters long.
Thanks to the internal mechanism, it twists and unwinds without sagging or dragging along the ground. The tape measure for dogs can be convenient as a walking option for owners of small and medium breeds. Not recommended for strong animals, as the roulette mechanism cannot withstand sudden jerks. Such a leash can be tape or cable, but it is worth remembering that any tape-measure leash for dogs teaches the animal to pull. Unfortunately, this is the only model, the manufacture of which at home is almost impossible without specialized materials.
Since it is necessary to make a leash that is necessarily strong and reliable, it is necessary to attend to the correct choice of materials. Many modern models are made of nylon webbing. This is not the best choice, as this material is often extremely slippery and stiff, and its edges are sharp. When you jerk, the nylon leash is sure to burn your hand.
The tarpaulin is characterized by naturalness and increased durability. A fairly heavy carabiner can be sewn onto it, and the dense fabric material will not sag under its weight. There are two drawbacks to the tarpaulin. just like nylon, it slips and burns hands, sometimes to the point of blood, and besides this, its appearance is far from beauty and grace.
Soft leather, especially calf leather, the so-called “oily”. excellent material for leashes. The most expensive and comfortable models are made from it. The skin will not slip or cut your hands if it is soft. Such material is beautiful, lightweight and comfortable. The only drawback is its ability to tan after interaction with water. But even this can be avoided by acquiring soft, expensive leather. Unfortunately, these tips are of little use for self-production, since making a leash from leather materials at home is quite problematic.
The correct option for sewing with your own hands would be a synthetic sling without a hard edge, sheathed with softer, possibly colored or reflective cotton tape.
A bit of theory
A leash is a thing that is required by law for every dog, regardless of its breed, size and place of residence. Originating from a harness, this tool has become not only a device for restraining walking, but also a method of controlling an animal during training. Before you start talking about how to make a dog leash, it is worth talking a little about its types.
How to make a leash? DIY dog leash
Sociologists report that 41% of Russians keep dogs. Among other pets, only cats are ahead of “man’s best friends” in number. This is not surprising, after all, a dog is an animal that requires much more time and money from a person than other representatives of the tailed. The average Bobik, living in a city apartment, definitely needs at least one set of collar and leash. Unfortunately, the for ammunition are growing every year. But experienced dog owners know perfectly well how to save money and provide their pet with a set of accessories for any occasion. This article reveals their secrets on how to make a leash with your own hands from the available materials.
How to make a harness with your own hands
A few tips you might find useful:
- Organize a solid and secure mount.
- The fabric should be dense or leather.
- The harness should be bright for more practicality.
- The size should not be large or small.
After the harness, it remains to pick up the leash. For this, any strong rope will do, to which you need to attach a carabiner.
It’s better to wear a collar at home. If the hamster is not given, it needs to be distracted by tasty food. The pet will immediately forget about the leash when it is on the grass. He’ll have more important things to do. If this does not happen and the animal is trying to escape, most likely, the harness gives the hamster discomfort. Choosing and choosing the right leash carefully can make your pet a little bit happier by walking.
Hamster leash: choosing, buying and making
Experienced hamster owners and breeders are sure that the animal definitely needs walks in the fresh air. The question is gaining relevance in the summer and spring periods. There are several options for walking your pet on the street, and the most popular is walking using a special leash.
What walks are allowed
Not every owner walks his hamster in nature, because many do not know that this can be done. It is not necessary to take the animal out into the street, you can let him just walk around the apartment. But this option requires continuous tracking of the hamster, otherwise he may fall somewhere, fall, get stuck or get injured.
A walk in nature will be a great happiness for the animal. The hamster will immediately find something to do, because there is a lot of space on the grass. Fuzzy will go to explore unexplored lands, sniff plants and look for food. During walks in the apartment or on the street, the hamster can be lost. To prevent this, purchase a special hamster leash.
Please note that the walk should not become dangerous. Remember that even a cat or a dog can find a pet on a leash, so it is not advisable to entrust a small child to walk the animal.
Types of leashes
This type of collar specifically for hamsters is rarely used, only if the pet is a large breed. Usually it is worn as a decoration, since walking with such a collar is problematic, because the pet can slip out of it at any time.
This type of collar is more reliable and is best suited for walking. A loop of leather or fabric material fixes the body and legs, attaches to the back. This design will definitely not allow the animal to wriggle out. The harness is put on loosely so that a finger can be inserted into the gap between the loop and the hamster‘s body. The collar should not be worn tightly or loosely, otherwise the hamster may be injured or create all conditions for escape.
The vest harness is much safer and more reliable. It is believed that the hamster is more comfortable in it. It should be noted that the harness with the collar must be securely fastened, otherwise the hamster can be missed somewhere.
Another decent option for walking your pet. A walking ball is not a leash, but at the same time it is quite comfortable to use. The material of the device is usually plastic, the ball is studded with special holes. This option is best suited for walking jungars or other small breeds, so the hamster will definitely not run away. Larger breed rodents will feel uncomfortable, so their use is meaningless.
Ball as an alternative to a leash
The walking ball is a plastic sphere with doors through which the animal is placed there. The device will allow the hamster to move around the floor of a house or apartment and explore new territories without danger to life. This option is perfect for a dzungarian. It should be noted that walking in a ball is more exciting and more difficult than running in a wheel. When choosing a sphere, you need to pay attention to the presence of a sufficient number of holes for ventilation.
First you need to prepare the crimp tubes. Elite Alliance products with a length of 1 cm have proven themselves well. For greater accuracy and elegance of the tackle, the tube can be cut in half with a file. For this purpose, a cut is made in the middle of the tube, which allows you to break it manually. The edges of the fracture need to be processed to remove the burrs. And so that there are no burrs inside, you can expand the tube with a thick needle. All these manipulations with the tubes are done to reduce their size. In principle, this is not necessary, especially if you are just learning how to make a pike leash from fluorocarbon.
When the tubes are ready, you can begin to mount the tackle. One end of the leash is inserted into the tube. A swivel is put on it. Then this end is inserted into the tube two more times (back and forth). Thus, the line passes through the tube three times and two loops are formed. On one of them there is a swivel, and the second serves for the reliability of fastening. The swivel loop is tightened to a length of 5-7 millimeters. And the second loop is pulled up to the edge of the tube. The excess end of the material is cut off.
Now you can crimp the tube. The pressing force is determined empirically. Make several leads with different clamping forces and test them under weight. Crimping consists of two stages. First, the entire tube is crimped in one plane. Then a thin crimp is made in the middle of the tube in a perpendicular plane. The ends of the tube are crimped only at the first stage. Now you can cut the leash off the line. As a rule, its length is 35-50 cm. Then the same operation is performed on the other end of the leash, only in this case a swivel with a fastener is put on. If you want to make leashes from fluorocarbon for pike for girders, then instead of a swivel with a carabiner, just put on a hook.
Leashes prepared according to this method, with a fluorocarbon line diameter of 0.4-0.5 mm, can withstand the resistance of a pike weighing 8-9 kilograms.
Fluorocarbon pike leash: advantages and disadvantages
When fishing for pike, a leash is needed to strengthen the fishing line near the spoon. In this zone, the fish can have a snack on a simple fishing line and go into their habitat along with the spoon, which now cost quite a lot. Previously, all kinds of ropes and wires were used for this, which were clearly visible in the water and had a bad effect on the game of the bait. Fluorocarbon leashes made fishing more sensitive and efficient. We have already discussed the advantages of the material above, now let’s pay attention to its disadvantages.
The first thing that stops the inexperienced angler when buying fluorocarbon is its cost. The material is quite difficult to produce, therefore the price for it is appropriate. The second drawback is that with each bite, the material deteriorates. Usually a fluorocarbon leash can withstand up to 20 bites. If you notice damage on the material, it must be replaced immediately. Savings in this case can result in an annoying descent of trophy fish.
Do-it-yourself fluorocarbon pike leash: step-by-step instructions and device
Leashes are always used in fishing. When fishing with float tackle and feeder, a leash is needed so that the rig is less visible to the fish. And when catching a predator, it protects the line from biting. Thin line (monofilament or braid) is considered a classic material for leashes for white fish. In leashes for a predator, harder materials are used, mainly steel or tungsten. These materials have a number of disadvantages: visibility in water, which results in scaring off prey; rigidity, which is bad for the game of the bait; deformation after biting large specimens.
Today the lion’s share of anglers has switched to a new leash material. fluorocarbon. It allows you to forget about the above problems once and for all. The material is strong enough to withstand the resistance of large fish, virtually invisible in water and resistant to damage. Today we will take a closer look at this material and learn how to make a leash from fluorocarbon for pike with our own hands.
How to choose a quality product
When buying a fluorocarbon fishing line, you should focus on a company that gives a guarantee for its products. The fact is that not all brands are engaged in production. Fluorocarbon for pike leads is produced by a small number of enterprises. The rest of the firms simply buy the finished product and wind it on spools under their own name. For orientation: 25 meters of high-quality fluorocarbon costs about three dollars.
So, fluorocarbon (aka polyvinylidene fluoride or fluorocarbon) is a chemical polymer that is similar in composition to tyflon. Its main property is resistance to aggressive media (ultraviolet light, moisture, temperature changes and mechanical stress). In fishing, it is also valued for the fact that, unlike simple nylon lines, it is invisible in the water column. The reason for this is the refractive index of light, which is close to water.
DIY Rat Harness w/Cookie
Fluorocarbon fishing line does not change its properties under the influence of both high and low temperatures. It practically does not stretch and does not wear out. Allows you to make a hard undercut, sinks quickly and is not wetted by water. Since the technology for the production of fluorocarbon lines is very expensive, they are relatively expensive. Therefore, as a rule, anglers put a leash on a fluorocarbon pike, and take the main line at a cheaper price. Among the budget options, you can find simple fishing lines covered with a fluorocarbon sheath.
We make a leash from fluorocarbon for pike with our own hands
Fluorocarbon leashes are widely available in the tackle market and are relatively inexpensive. But it is much cheaper to knit them yourself. over, purchased leashes often do not suit anglers in terms of their characteristics. By making a leash yourself, you can not only save money, but also make the most suitable product for certain fishing conditions.
So, before figuring out how to knit fluorocarbon leashes for pike, let’s figure out what tools and materials we need for this. The list is pretty simple:
- Fluorocarbon line up to 0.5 mm in diameter. It can be thinner if you know that a small pike is found on the reservoir, and are ready to risk the reliability of the tackle for the sake of its sensitivity.
- Swivels with a breaking load of up to 10 kilograms. Requires two swivels: one simple and one with a carabiner.
- Crimp tubing.
- Crimping Tool. Crimper. With the right skills, simple pliers will work.
- File, preferably diamond.
Fluorocarbon leashes for ultralight
This material is often used by ultralight adherents. In this case, a length of 20-30 centimeters will be sufficient. It is not necessary to use thick fluorocarbon in the ultralight. Knot assemblies can be used instead of clamping tubes for fastenings. But do not forget that the material is sensitive to their quality.
To make a fluorocarbon leash with your own hands without using crimping tubes, you need to learn how to knit special knots. To tie the leash to the main line, a knot called “Carrot” is usually used. This knot has worked well in practice. It fits quite simply, according to the scheme below.
For tying the carabiner to the leash (and professional ultralighters knit the leash directly to the bait) a knot called “Nesevri” is perfect. The diagram is shown below. And remember to moisten a knot before tightening it. This simple action will give the knot extra strength.