From the box
If there is any extra box in the house, you can get creative and design a cardboard house yourself.
For some simplification of construction, use a box of suitable sizes so that your pet is not cramped in it. You can involve children in the case. It will be interesting for them to feel like builders.
So, to make a house for a cat you will need:
- a box with a fairly thick cardboard (you can use the “Russian Post” package);
- carpet or other dense but soft material;
- any water-repellent material;
- sharp knife;
- odorless glue;
- pencils, rulers and other tools for drawing markings;
- wide tape.
Start making a cardboard cat house in the following sequence:
Mark the main entrance and back door with a pencil and compass. Cut the holes. Let the main entrance be larger than the back door. But remember that your pet should easily slip through it.
Such self-manufacturing options can be slightly improved and modified. Some people prefer to glue cardboard according to their design. There is often a multi-room or multi-level structure, which is easy to achieve with cardboard and tape.
A bed for a cat can be made of cardboard, newspaper tubes, foam rubber. The shape of this resting place is selected in accordance with the size of the cat or his preferences in rest.
Some prepare beds for the semblance of the existing interior in the apartment. The main thing in that matter is to provide your pet with comfort and warmth. Therefore, do not forget about using foam rubber, soft fabric and other textile materials.
Do-it-yourself construction of a wooden cat house requires skills in working with wood and other tools. It can be used at home or set up outdoors like your usual dog kennels. Of course, this should be done only in the warm season.
First, you need to design the entire structure and make blanks from the boards, having previously sanded them.
Some craftsmen make such houses using wooden slats, which makes it possible to create rather interesting and somewhat complicated structures. So, you can find a street house for a cat with a staircase, a veranda, a carved roof and other attributes that resemble an old Russian hut.
How to build a house-on-wheels for rabbits, guinea pigs & other small animals
From the inside, the house is pasted over with a water-repellent material, and then treated from the outside with a protective composition against rot and mold formation. Here you can also treat the whole house with linseed oil, varnish, or simply paint it with paint, creating an unsurpassed design.
After all the chemical solutions have disappeared, you can lay a pillow for the cat and invite him to housewarming.
How to Skin & Butcher a Rabbit / Hare for the Table
For a kitten
A house for a kitten is as necessary as for an adult cat. It is better to build a real play complex here, supplementing it if possible with soft attributes. a place for rest and lodging.
Also, for a kitten, you can build a regular sleeve house, which is attached to the wall at a low height from the floor, so that the kitten can climb into it on its own.
It is better not to use large-sized and laborious wooden structures in the manufacture.
Firstly, a kitten’s house should not be “for growth”. Otherwise, the little cub will not show interest in him, because he will be uncomfortable in him.
Secondly, in a few months you will have to build a new house, which requires a lot of effort and time. Here it is better to give preference to weaving their newspaper tubes or cardboard blanks.
The first house for kittens is usually a large box in which they are born and contain the first month of life.
The instructions for creating a house for a kitten contain the following steps:
- take a cardboard box, for example, from a vacuum cleaner or microwave, the main thing is that it is high enough so that the kittens do not jump out of it;
- cover the bottom with water-repellent material, for example, oilcloth and cloth, or ordinary baby absorbent diapers, since the baby has yet to learn how to walk in the tray;
- if his mother lives with the kitten, then an entrance is cut into the house for her, at such a height that the baby cannot jump to him;
- make a roof. from fabric or cardboard (just fix it on stationery clips).
Another option for the first refuge is a shoe box. a small pet will like to sleep and hide in it. It will serve until the baby grows up. The bottom is covered with a soft cloth, the lid does not close.
The next resting place can be a soft bed or pillow.
The main difference between a children’s house and an adult is its small size and short service life, firstly, because the animal is growing, and secondly, the kittens still do not know how to go to the toilet in the tray, which leads to the unusability of the same cardboard.
Do not forget to take care of the absence of drafts, which are so dangerous for the baby, especially in the cold season. In our separate article, we will show you how to adjust plastic windows for the winter.
What is he?
A home for a cat or a cat should satisfy all the requirements of a four-legged friend walking on his own. First, you should study the habits of the cat. Perhaps he is quite playful, then he needs to organize special home-made devices for games.
Some cats prefer to sleep more, then you should take care of a place to rest more. Some cats prefer to sharpen their claws on the furniture of the owners, which not only irritates, but also infuriates a person at the sight of damage to expensive property. Homemade scratching posts and cat houses can solve the problem.
So, you have analyzed the preferences of your cat and now you are determined with the design model. It may include:
It should also be noted that the design of the house can vary significantly due to the gender of your pet.
For example, cats are more playful, like to hunt, so they should build a structure with a wide view. Here you can stop at the house-sleeve.
For a cat, it is better to make a two-level structure, where the upper level will help to look out for the enemy, and the lower mother will use the newly hatched offspring to ambush, and in case of approaching danger will attack the future offender.
Also, a large view of the cat’s house should not be allowed. she prefers to provide security for her lair.
See in this video how to make a play complex for a cat with your own hands at home.
Pets bring us a lot of joy and warmth, but wool is an integral attribute of their stay in the house, so it is important to take care of air purification in the apartment. Read in our separate article which air purifier to choose for an apartment.
The following photos show various options for the execution of houses for cats.
From foam rubber
A soft house for a cat with your own hands requires special attention. Here you can not only create a comfortable and warm corner for your pet, but also show your imagination with decorating and in the process of designing a house. For the manufacture of such a soft structure, materials will be required:
- any dense fabric, you can take contrasting shades;
- foam rubber, preferably thicker, so that the cat is soft and comfortable;
- sewing machine;
- pins and other sewing parts for fastening;
To sew a house for a cat with your own hands, follow these steps:
Construct the project of the structure, “sawing” it into its component parts, each of which should be transferred to a newspaper or paper. these will be patterns for future patterns.
This completes the production of a soft house for your pet. You can experiment with colors by composing blanks with distinctive shades.
This video will show you how to make a soft cat house.
From newspaper tubes
Newspaper tubular weaving craftsmen create stunning work without forgetting about their favorite. So, with the help of an unnecessary stack of various paper waste paper, you can create a wonderful structure where your pet will be warm and comfortable. The following materials are required here:
- PVA glue;
- knitting needle;
- a stack of newspapers;
- paint or varnish (optional).
A cat house from newspaper tubes is created as follows:
Cut the newspaper into long strips about 7-12 cm wide. Wind each strip tightly around a knitting needle, hooking over one edge. You will end up with a long newspaper tube, the end of which should be glued with glue so that it does not bloom.
The cat house is ready. Place a pillow inside to keep your pet comfortable.
See in this video for more details on how to weave a cat house from newspaper tubes.
Home improvement inside
When the house for the decorative rabbit is ready, put everything you need:
- Mesh floors are covered so that the paws are not injured. A dense but soft material like bamboo fiber is suitable.
- Choose a place for the toilet. Typically, this is one of the corners. In two-story houses, they are sometimes located under the stairs. They send a tray there, lay a cloth that absorbs liquids well.
- They place drinkers, feeders, a sennik. They are securely fastened so that they do not tip over. Drinkers are not placed high. Rabbits should not be drawn to them. Feeders are also made or bought. In the latter case, the mounts are usually included in the kit.
- Install toys. For example, pieces of rope, balls, etc. are suitable. Sometimes they put tunnels made of cardboard. According to statistics, none of the toys “does not live long”. Although they are important: they entertain the animal and switch its attention. Otherwise, rabbits gnaw more on the walls of the house and everything else.
Drawings and sketches
The design is thought out in detail. A detailed drawing helps. You can create your own from scratch if you have experience. Sometimes they build a house for a rabbit with their own hands according to a ready-made standard scheme or change something, adapt.
The dimensions are indicated on the drawing. As a guide, you can use the following:
- floor. 100 x 60 cm;
- one wall. 100 x 50 cm, the second. 60 x 50 cm.
- number of floors (tiers);
- location of ladders, doors, toilet;
- attachment points for feeders, drinkers, sennik, toys.
The roof is designed separately. It is better if it is flat, so that the rabbit can rest comfortably on it, and removable, which makes maintenance and cleaning easier.
Sometimes they make a sketch: the same thing is roughly sketched, approximately. It precedes the drawing or serves as a complete replacement. As a rule, a sketch is enough for a simple design.
When building a house for rabbits with your own hands, you will need standard tools familiar to every master:
- saw, preferably with fine teeth, so that the cuts are more accurate;
- scissors for metal;
- nails, small screws or screws;
- when building a cardboard house, ordinary scissors, scotch tape, compasses are useful;
- pencil, marker;
Before starting the rabbit, the building is prepared. Disinfection is carried out. Solutions of iodine, bromine are suitable for processing. Do this:
- They buy the required drug at the pharmacy.
- Dissolve in water in a ratio of 1:20.
- Wash the rabbit housing inside and out with the resulting product.
- Dried. It is advisable to put in the sun. In cold weather, they dry near a battery or heater. The distance to the house is about half a meter. Periodically turn the house over to the other side so that the tree does not dry out. Better to do this every hour. The structure dries completely, usually in a day.
How to make a house for a rabbit
The design, as a rule, is not complex. Various options are possible. from a simple cardboard box to multi-storey beautiful “mansions”. Choose the right model based on your taste, money and skills.
It is important to choose the right thing from which the house will be. The choice of material depends on the design. In any case, preference is given to safe ones. Classic version. wood.
Sometimes cardboard is enough to build a house on your own. Although the following materials are often taken:
- tin sheets;
- a mesh with a fine mesh, preferably galvanized;
- bars, small slats;
- Chipboard is rarely taken, since rabbits gnaw it;
- small loops;
- plywood sheets are used as the main or auxiliary material.
What should be a rabbit dwelling
- Sizes are suitable for adult animals. As a rule, decorative rabbits are smaller than farm rabbits. A house measuring 140 x 80 x 50 cm is enough for one adult pet. The number of animals, the parameters of each, are taken into account. The rabbit should be able to stretch out to its full length and fit when standing on its hind legs. If there is not enough space for this, the animal needs to be walked more often. from 4 hours a day. The bigger the building, the better.
- A house for a small rabbit is about 4 times smaller than for an adult. Although it is advisable to immediately put the pet in a large dwelling. They take it “for growth.” A rabbit house like this does not need to be remodeled.
- Security. The animals gnaw everything and move actively, therefore they are prone to poisoning and injury. Carefully choose materials for the house, avoiding synthetic ones. No coating varnish is used. Additionally, hazardous areas of the structure are processed.
- Correct arrangement. Feeders, drinkers are fixed. Inverted containers lead to unsanitary conditions, disease, unnecessary waste of food.
- Fine mesh flooring is suitable for common farm species. It is hygienic. For decorative varieties, other floors are installed. In such animals, the pads on their paws are too delicate, they are injured on the net. For decorative rabbits, the floors are covered with a solid material, for example, a thick rug. The tree is also fine, but it constantly absorbs the fetid liquid, smells.
Step-by-step assembly instructions
It is quite simple to make a cardboard house:
- Find a couple of boxes. Lay one workpiece on its side.
- Make an entrance. To do this, draw its contours with a compass. Sometimes the circumference is slightly missed at the bottom. Then the entrance will turn out to be not quite the correct shape, without a threshold. It is easier.
- Repeat the same procedure on two more sides of the cardboard box. Only the back remains intact.
- Three entrances are cut out according to the marking.
- Close the box: lay the edges on top one on top of the other.
- The connections are sealed with tape.
- They also process the second box.
- Connect both blanks. The side holes on the common side must match.
- Attach boxes to one another with tape.
- They decorate the building if you want: paint something or paste it over.
- A rug, bedding is placed on the floor in the house.
The result is an easy-to-manufacture and budget option. Although such houses for rabbits are often changed. Structures are very afraid of waste, dampness, teeth and force.
Rabbit houses made of cardboard resemble a temporary “barrack” or dilapidated, emergency housing. It is advisable to prepare a more reliable shelter for the animal. This is also easy and inexpensive:
- First make the floor. Cut a rectangle of the desired size from chipboard.
- Prepare the same tin sheet.
- Put it on top of the chipboard.
- Connect with self-tapping screws.
- Then the walls are made. Cut out of the chipboard blanks according to the drawing.
- Markup is performed. Mark windows and doors with a pencil or marker.
- Saw out according to the markings.
- The walls are knocked together with nails.
- Fix the floor with self-tapping screws.
- The windows are covered with a metal mesh.
- Make a door. Uses small slats and mesh.
- Hang the door in the opening on the hinges.
- Attach the hanging hook.
- Construct a roof. Better to make it flat and removable. The gable is fastened with nails.
- Build and fasten the second floor with self-tapping screws, if it is provided for by the drawing.
- A ladder is placed between the tiers at an angle of about 30 °. It is made of chipboard and wooden sticks. The minimum width of the ladder is 15 cm.The sticks are stuffed in increments of about 4 cm.
- Check for sharp corners or something similar, traumatic. Shaped, processed with sandpaper.
- If desired, the house of the animal is made out. For example, platbands are made from slats, they are revetted. It turns out “village hut”. The house is not painted inside. Sometimes the roof and walls are coated on the outside with water-based paint. Air at least three days. Oil paint is not used.
Structures are also different, for example, from plywood sheets. However, the best solution is a house made of wooden planks.
What should be a rabbit dwelling
The development of pododermatitis and frequent injuries of the extremities in rabbits are the first signals about their incorrect content. In the future, such conditions do not in the best way affect the productivity of the wards and their safety. Therefore, the breeder, in addition to the feeding and watering front, as well as the density of the stocking of animals, should pay close attention to the features of the rabbit housing.
Ideally, cages for eared pets should be a reliable shelter from the weather, while being well ventilated and well lit. Constant control over the level of exposure to external factors is important, which largely depends on weather conditions, season and time of day. It is unacceptable for the excrement of animals to collect inside. Many breeders solve this problem by installing slatted floors. But, according to experts, it is in the mesh cells that the highest degree of injury is recorded. Therefore, such designs are highly undesirable for rabbits.
These animals are very sensitive to air exchange and dampness. Excess ammonia, as well as hydrogen sulfide, adversely affect their productivity. Therefore, the humidity indicators in the rabbit house must correspond to 60–70%.
Their abode should be inaccessible to rodents and predators. It can be built from used boards, plywood, brick, die-cut, slate. For mass breeding of eared, group multi-tiered structures are perfect. On them, as on the simplest cages, it is recommended to provide a single or gable roof. Experienced rabbit breeders advise:
- Choose dry and elevated areas for placing rabbit cages, away from sources of dampness and bodies of water, but in the shade of trees. This is due to the intolerance of eared direct sunlight.
- Strictly monitor the ventilation of the structure and prevent the slightest drafts. In the houses of the wards, air movement is undesirable, which exceeds the speed of 30 m / s.
- For the winter, insulate the cages so that the temperature of keeping animals corresponds to the range of 10.20 ° С.
- Make sure that closed rabbitries are illuminated for at least 10 hours a day in winter. Ideally, a full-wall window on the east side of the structure can solve this problem.
- Place cages at a height of 80–100 cm from the ground. This is necessary to protect the wards from rats, and also such a solution will greatly facilitate maintenance.
Design and sizing
The classic version of the rabbit queen cell provides for dimensions of 70 x 100 x 60 cm.For young animals, the structure can be made according to the same parameters, shortening the length by 30 cm.
It is important for the builder to understand that the entire area of the structure for the rabbit and her offspring will be further divided into a walking department and a deaf cubicle. The first zone in most cases is a square with sides of 50 cm.
And the second is a deaf box with a length of 25 cm and a width of 50 cm.A removable door is attached to the front of the structure, and a small hole at a height of 15 cm is provided on the wall adjacent to the walking space.
It is imperative to provide a tray under the floor for collecting faeces. The floor can be made from densely set wide slats. In cases of using gratings, to avoid injury, be sure to cover them with a rug, leaving small gaps around the perimeter. Experienced breeders advise to calculate the height of the rabbit cage on the front side at 55 cm, and on the back. 30 cm. The slope on the roof can serve as a pallet, if placed at the top of the second tier. For reliability, it will need to be galvanized.
Remember that the size of the cages largely depends on the breed of the wards and the way they are kept. For instance:
- rabbits need about 0.5–0.7 square meters of area;
- adult males. 0.17 m2;
- young animals. 0, 12 m2.
When everything you need is in stock, you can get to work:
- Cut to the measured length of the beams. On a flat surface from the prepared blanks, knock off the frame of the structure. In the case of a multi-tiered structure, be sure to provide after each of the tiers a space of up to 15 cm for installing a pallet.
- Connect the front and rear bars with cross bars. This is the basis for the cell.
- Measure 4 legs from the prepared wooden blocks to the rabbit house. Pin them to the resulting wooden rectangle so that there is a margin of 30-40 cm to the floor in height.
- Measure the door strips and use the screws to connect them. Then beat the resulting frame with a net. Fasteners are made with a construction stapler from the inside.
- Measure the required length of the boards and cut the blanks. Sheathe the cage frame with them.
- Hang the doors on the hinges and provide a latch on it. Convenient when the structure opens from top to bottom.
- Attach a V-shaped sennik inside the center of the cage, dividing the space into 2 sections.
- Now you can start building a blank corral. Many breeders build it with a removable plywood bottom to prevent increased dampness inside the cage. Therefore, this part of the house must be completely made of boards or plywood.
- Install a plywood partition with a hole for the passage of residents between the nesting and walking areas.
- After that, make a solid door in the blank part of the cage, also attaching it to the hinges. Don’t forget to attach a latch to it.
- Mount the roof from boards or slate. It is desirable that it be folding. Therefore, experienced owners advise using hinged loops as fasteners.
- Now lay the floor on the bottom of the slats, leaving 1.5 cm gaps between them.If you retreat more, the animals can get stuck in the openings and injure their paws. Alternatively, a fine mesh net will work, but then a rug will need to be provided.
- Build a low pallet of appropriate dimensions from sheet metal and place it under the cage. Some breeders advise placing this part at an angle for easier cleaning.
DIY rabbit cages
How to make a house for a rabbit with your own hands
Regardless of what type of cage you prefer, and how many individuals it will be designed for, its basis is made up of: frame, walls, floor, ceiling and doors. But before taking on the tool, you need to thoroughly understand the required dimensions of the structure and make its drawings.
Home improvement inside
After checking the safety of the finished cage, you can proceed to its arrangement. Pay attention to the floor first. Rabbits often get pododermatitis from mesh coatings. Therefore, if your structure is made precisely of a metal lattice, be sure to cover it with a rug.
They are categorically not suitable for this product made of carpet, wool, since they are often the cause of malfunctions in the gastrointestinal tract of an animal. Do not forget for a second that we are talking about a rodent that can taste everything that is within its reach.
Then place a thick layer of bedding on the floor. In the autumn-spring period, it is important for rabbits that their paws are protected from bedsores. For this, sawdust, large straw or hay of soft awnless cereals are ideal. You should be especially careful with the choice of material when keeping down breeds. The awns caught in their fur cause discomfort and pain. Straw is preferable because it retains heat and is safe for the eared. Remember that the larger the pet, the more bedding it will need. For adults, it is enough to lay a layer with a thickness of 12.5 –15.5 cm.
In addition to the already provided manger for hay and grass, you need to put a drinker and a feeder in the animal’s cage. It is important that these containers cannot be overturned or clogged with excrement. Therefore, experienced rabbit breeders advise to acquire a purchased drinker, which is attached to the front of the cage from the inside. And you can build a feeder yourself.
To do this, in the cage, vertically attach a wooden block and attach a wooden rectangle 7 cm high and 30 cm wide to it.Above, at a distance of 20 cm, pin a guide bar.
And then sew up the structure with plywood, so that the sheathing fits up to the top between the guide rails, and at the bottom rested against the feeder, but did not block the feed access. As a result, you can fill the structure through the top.
Materials and tools for work
You can build an abode for eared pets from any material that is on your farm. But, according to experts, among all the available variety, the tree has proven itself the best. It is environmentally friendly, durable and retains heat well, does not heat up in the heat.
Metal is categorically not suitable for such structures. In winter, in such a house, animals can freeze, and in summer they can overheat. You should also avoid using chipboard. Such material quickly absorbs moisture, as a result of which it crumbles heavily. Here is a list of tools and materials required for further work:
- 10 wooden beams 3 m long, 30 x 50 mm (for the frame);
- boards or plywood sheets measuring 1.5 by 1.5 m, 10 mm thick (for wall cladding);
- meter piece of slate (for the roof);
- wooden slats 3 cm wide or welded mesh with cells 15 x 15 mm (for the floor);
- metal sheet 1 m long (for the construction of the pallet);
- 4 awnings (for fastening 2 doors);
- boards (for a blind door);
- welded mesh with cells 2.5 x 2.5 cm (for a ventilation door in the walking area);
- metal rods (for a V-shaped hay feeder);
- electric drill;
- saw for wood;
- construction stapler;
- marking pencil;
- coarse sandpaper;
- 1 kg self-tapping screws 30 and 70 mm, nails.
How to make a house for a rabbit with your own hands
A rabbit cage can be easily built at home from scrap materials. But at the same time, it is important to take into account the shape of the structure and its safety for furry residents. The success of rabbit breeding largely depends on these factors. What should be the ideal abode for the eared, what is the best way to build it and how to do it correctly. you will learn about this further from the article.
To make a house for rabbits with your own hands, you need to study the main rules for the device of any design:
- when kept outdoors, the container for living rabbits must be at a height of at least 70 cm from ground level so that the pets are reliably protected from all kinds of predators;
- the frame and all supports must be made of wood;
- the walls are made of plywood sheets;
- to make the structure look beautiful, from the outside it can be sheathed with plastic panels;
- the rabbit house must be designed so that the owner has the opportunity to freely carry out all hygienic procedures for caring for the room;
- the roof is made taking into account where the cage will be located; if it is outdoor conditions, then it is advisable to use any waterproof material;
- the floor is often wooden or mesh.
Rabbit cages must not be made of metal sheets. In the summer, the metal will be too hot in the sun, which can cause burns, and on frosty days, rabbits can freeze to the metal surface. Any detail must be carefully processed so that pets do not get injured while in the house.
Cells are classified into several types. The simple design is the most common box with support legs. From the inside, the space is divided into functional sections for feeding and sleeping. Between these departments, a special manhole is made, leading to the open-air cage for walking. Drawings of the simplest design can be seen in the photo.
The next type of cells is Mikhailovsky cells. The design is considered to be very difficult to implement. It is practically a whole mini-farm. Such a house for rabbits includes a whole complex of manholes and shelves, is equipped with a ventilation system, electric heating, a function of self-removal of excrement and many other interesting innovations.
The next construction, which is used quite often, is the cage, the model of which was proposed by Zolotukhin. The view from various sides, as well as detailed drawings, can be viewed in the thematic photos. The author proposes to install structures in several tiers. The flooring is made of wood, and at the end of the cage, a small edge of the floor is made of mesh. The containers of each tier are installed in such a way as to be able to freely remove the waste products of the rabbits. There is no stationary mother liquor in the layout of such cells. A nest for a rabbit is installed only in the winter, while in the summer, the female places her nest right on the floor in the hay.
What should be a rabbit dwelling
For pets to be healthy and feel good, they need to move a lot and live in conditions as close to natural as possible. Accordingly, the place to stay should be spacious enough. This fact is not taken into account in mass production of cells, therefore it is best to design a house for a rabbit with your own hands.
If this is a house for a decorative rabbit that lives in an apartment, then it is best that the animal be able to move freely around the house, and use the cage only for sleeping. In this case, the pet will be able to gain a certain muscle mass and will develop normally. Decorative rabbits that are constantly in cages are much more likely to get sick.
The arrangement of rabbit houses must be thought out to the smallest detail. In a cage that is too small, animals gain a lot of excess weight, become lethargic, and are often stressed. Today, making houses for rabbits with your own hands is not a problem. On the Internet, you can find just a huge number of all kinds of photos, which show detailed drawings with correct calculations. You just need to choose a simple option for design and get to work.
- the container should be so free that the eared eagle can stand on its hind legs: the dimensions are calculated based on the dimensions of their pets;
- an aviary should be attached to the cage, into which the eared eagle should have free access at any time;
- the internal arrangement of the cage consists of a drinker, a feeder and a toilet;
- in the corner of the structure, it is necessary to equip a place for sleeping, in which the animal will feel safe.
Building a house for a rabbit
The rabbit house is one of the most important things to do when breeding these cute creatures. Keeping eared ears at home is a rather troublesome task. By nature, animals do not have good immunity, so every little thing in the maintenance and diet is very important.
Rabbit houses should be as comfortable as possible and create the appearance of natural habitat conditions.
A house for a rabbit, or a mother house, will be slightly different from a regular rabbit house. Keep the females together with the offspring separately.
Some people mistakenly believe that females do not need separate apartments with special arrangement to reproduce offspring. However, in an open cage, the rabbit will be constantly stressed due to harsh sounds, smells and will not be able to fully fulfill her maternal duties. In addition, babies are born completely unfit for life: blind, deaf and naked. In the first few days, the rabbits need especially careful heating and stable nutrition with mother’s milk, which may never appear if the animal is constantly under stress.
According to the drawings, a house for a rabbit is no different from the simplest single cage. To keep the rabbits together with the offspring in the winter, the containers are isolated and insulated. Foam sheets or mineral wool are used as insulation, and on top they are sheathed with an additional layer of wood.
Internally, the box for the rabbit will differ in the presence of a mother liquor in it. It is another small container. It is very important that its dimensions are not too large, otherwise the female, deciding that this is another cage, will defecate there. Too small area of the mother liquor will not allow the female to fully cover the nest with wool and equip it for the appearance of babies. Sizes are selected in accordance with the characteristics of rabbit breeds.
It is important to remember that first-born females may forget to cover the nest with fur, confused. To do this, it is necessary to make the cage in such a way as to be able to independently lay hay and cotton wool in the nest. So that the wooden flooring on the floor does not rot, reacting with the waste products of the rabbits, it must be covered with galvanized sheets. But in this case, you will need to make a flooring of straw at least 20 cm, otherwise in frost, the droppings will simply freeze on the cold floor.
You should not build a rabbitry for females from freshly cut trees with a pungent smell: the woody aroma can scare off the female, and she will not use the nest for its intended purpose, in the worst case, she may completely abandon rabbits. If you are going to breed rabbits for sale, then this design is ideal for the household. It will allow you to reproduce offspring all year round.
How to create a home for eared ears
Building your own containers for keeping rabbits is pretty simple. The principle of building a complex and simple structure is the same. Let’s take a step-by-step process using a simple single container as an example.
The first step is to determine the location. The rabbitry should be located in a place protected from direct sunlight, drafts.
The standard dimensions of a single wooden container are 150 x 70 x 70. Naturally, each owner can increase or decrease the size of the cage, depending on the breed data of his pets. Before starting work, a detailed plan is drawn up and drawings are made indicating the internal arrangement, additional functions and other things. Then, following their plan, they prepare a wooden frame.
The front of the container is set at a height of 70 cm, the rear is lowered slightly so that the roof is ultimately tilted. Any coating other than metal is nailed on top of the frame. The interior space is divided into 2 parts:
A hole with a diameter of about 20 cm should be made in the partition between the compartments. To prevent animals from chewing on the partition, the hole should be knocked off from all sides with tin strips. Having completed all the work on the manufacture of the walls and the arrangement of the interior space, they proceed to the upper part of the building. The boxes are covered with a removable roof in order to have free access to the cage.
If you plan on the street, and there is a lawn with lush grass next to the cage, you can equip a special hole from the cage. Ladders are attached to the hole leading to the street so that the eared one can safely go out and enter his box. An animal can only be released into the street in a place protected from the penetration of other animals and predators.
Summary and helpful tips
In their natural habitat, animals lead a very active lifestyle, therefore, the cage should be free and spacious. Best of all, when 1 rabbit lives in the cage, this makes it possible to protect the livestock from infection with various diseases. The size of the cage should allow the pet to stand on its hind legs at full height and feel comfortable at the same time. You can view standard drawings in the photo on the Internet and add or remove a centimeter or two, depending on the size of your animal species.
The containers for keeping rabbits with offspring and decorative individuals will be slightly different. However, at the heart of any, even the most complex building, is the principle of a simple structure designed for solitary confinement. In the manufacture of a home for eared ears, it is important to take into account their need for freedom of movement. If there is a possibility of free walking in a fenced-in area, a special manhole must be made from the cage, which will allow the rabbit to independently go out into the street to nibble fresh grass.
Special nests are installed in containers for rabbits, which the female independently equips before giving birth, laying her fur and hay there.
When building, it is necessary to take into account the fact that young individuals may forget to equip the nest and then they will have to do it on their own, so a person should always have access to the cage. In addition, after the birth of babies, you will have to check all offspring for viability and remove dead individuals.
Properly equipped dwellings are the key to good rabbit immunity. The room should be made so that the owner can freely carry out all hygiene procedures in it. Most often, the flooring is made of wooden planks, and a net is placed against the extreme wall. Rabbits defecate most often in the far corner of their home, so doing this will help keep the boxes clean and make cleaning easier.