How to make a terrarium for a land turtle
Exotic reptiles, such as turtles, need special conditions that must be created for their full and comfortable life at home. It is possible to make a terrarium for a land turtle from different materials with your own hands. There are several suitable options for houses for an animal, and you can design them yourself.
A terrarium for a land turtle can be built in a variety of structures using a variety of materials.
You should find out what is best for the animal:
- The traditional habitat is a wooden square or rectangular box, large enough for the reptile to move around.
- The plastic container is quite comfortable for the animal, but due to the material it may be difficult to install lighting. after all, ordinary incandescent lamps are used for this, which can damage plastic.
- Plastic cages for rodents. a similar option for keeping a turtle.
- A typical large aquarium for fish. This is a good option, and the structure will be easy to equip with the necessary fixtures.
- You can highlight a shelf in a sideboard with glazed doors, but the process of creating such a niche is quite laborious.
- A paddock built on the floor is not the best solution. Such a structure must be protected from drafts, have a high side so that the reptile cannot get out. You will also need to insulate the bottom and maintain an optimal temperature in this place.
The materials for the manufacture of the structure also have their pros and cons:
- Natural wood is an environmentally friendly material that is safe for animals. However, such structures are too heavy, given that they will have to be periodically removed and cleaned. They are also quite unattractive in appearance. True, there are factory products that are light enough and equipped with decorative elements.
- Plastic is a durable and lightweight material, moreover, easy to clean, but you should choose a high-quality, non-toxic product.
- An all-glass terrarium is usually not made. Due to the fact that the reptile does not see such an obstacle, it can get injured, therefore, as a rule, only one part of the structure is made glass, for this purpose it uses special plexiglass. Feeding is carried out through this panel, but even it needs to be draped with a special background.
- Practical and comfortable in all respects are constructions that combine wood and glass.
This material comparison suggests that it is best to make a terrarium for a land turtle using the advantages of different materials.
Why turtles need a home of their own
Heat-loving land reptiles cannot simply walk around human habitation, since such walks are dangerous for them. There are specific explanations for this:
- the animal needs a secluded place, and even in the terrarium itself, a semblance of a hole should be created for it. otherwise the reptile will behave restlessly and experience stress, which will affect its health;
- in an apartment, a reptile can easily collide with all kinds of obstacles and damage its shell and other parts of the body;
- dust and food residues falling on the floor and eaten by an animal can cause digestive problems, and even poisoning;
- the habit of digging a hole for itself is inherent in the reptile by nature, and it cannot be deprived of it;
- in the terrarium, you can recreate the natural conditions in which this animal lives, which will help the turtle quickly adapt, fully grow and develop;
- drafts and cold air can also cause illness in a pet.
All this leads to the only correct decision. to take care of the construction of a house for a reptile, but for this you need to know what requirements are put forward for such a design.
Basic requirements for a turtle terrarium
When making a structure, you should remember about some of the nuances that are important for the health and normal functioning of the turtles:
- young individuals reaching a length of 10 cm will need a container with a volume of at least 50 liters, from 10 to 15 cm. 80 liters, for adult turtles from 25 cm an area of 120-150 liters is required;
- for species who love warmth, it is better to build a dwelling from wood material, for the rest, plastic is suitable;
- in a cold room, the walls of the terrarium can be additionally insulated with foam;
- the material for creating the terrarium must be natural, without chemical additives, if plastic is used, it must be of high quality;
- the structure must necessarily have sides with a height of 20-30 cm;
- for a shelter house, the optimal dimensions are 60x40x50.
The finished product is best placed in the northern part of the house. shaded rooms in the basement or in the basement, well protected by hydro and thermal insulation. Turtles will receive light and heat from heating lamps, but they will be safe from direct rays that can lead the animal to overheating and death.
Do-it-yourself terrarium for a land turtle
If you need to build a temporary dwelling for a turtle while the terrarium is not purchased or is in the process of being created, then you can use a thick cardboard box with a wall height of about 30 cm. The bottom of the structure is lined with polyethylene foam, known as a material for thermal insulation. Several layers of warm fabric will do instead. Such a house should be placed higher above the floor surface so that drafts do not disturb the turtle. You will also need to fix on the box a lighting fixture with a lamp power of no more than 30 W.
If a serious construction is planned, then a house for a land turtle can be made of plexiglass and high-quality plywood with moisture-resistant properties. First you have to draw a diagram of the future turtle dwelling. Its front part will be glass.
Materials and tools that you may need:
- glass saw and hacksaw;
- glue (a special gun is better);
- silicone based aquarium glue;
- plastic overlays to cover ventilation openings;
- thin narrow boards with prepared recesses for glass insertion;
- corners for the sides of the terrarium.
Also, for arranging the structure inside, you should prepare a lighting device, a feeding trough and a drinking cup, a swimming pool for bathing reptiles, measuring instruments (thermometer and a device for measuring humidity), linoleum on the bottom and suitable soil.
The manufacturing process will take place in stages in the following sequence:
- all prepared parts are ground and trimmed before starting work, since they must have smooth and ideally even surfaces of the edges. the tightness of the structure depends on this;
- optimal blanks of parts: bottom. 80×50 cm, side walls. 44×25 cm, front wall. 80×50 cm;
- the bottom part should be laid on the table and the side walls should be glued to it;
- after that, the back wood panel is glued (alternatively, liquid nails or sealant);
- corners are added that will be held with screws. they will give the structure greater strength and stability;
- at this stage, it is necessary to decorate any protrusions and, in particular, corners, which, as a rule, are made of metal. this will protect the reptile from injury;
- then you can start fixing the front, glass panel. here again you will need to use silicone, aquarium glue, which is necessary to prevent leaks.
You should carefully inspect the structure and check it for unwanted gaps. all of them must be carefully sealed. If there is no stand, legs can be attached to the terrarium if desired. The structure is equipped with a cover, if there is a need for this and the life of the reptile can be threatened by other living creatures living in the house. Since lighting will be attached to its inner surface, it is worth thinking about materials such as metal or glass. they are least likely to catch fire.
The next step is to equip the terrarium with the necessary interior:
- the back panel is usually covered with a picture of nature typical for pet habitats;
- a heating lamp is installed at a height of 25 cm;
- a layer of sawdust, hay is placed at the bottom as soil, flat pebbles are located at a distance from the turtle’s house;
- the feeder and sippy cup should be located away from lighting;
- a shelter for a reptile is made in the form of a wooden box or a clay pot of a suitable size for indoor plants is used;
- you can also build a higher area where the pet will keep warm.
In fact, the most difficult thing when making a structure with your own hands is the installation of lighting devices. If placed incorrectly, it can not only damage the material of the cover and panels, but also cause injury to the turtle.
An important point is the provision of the room with a ventilation system. One hole is enough for a fresh air flow to enter the microenvironment. In theory, it is drilled into the wood at the stage of preparing all the details, and only then it is decorated with a partition.
It is quite possible to make a terrarium for a land turtle with your own hands, but do not forget that you will have to clean it daily, constantly monitoring the condition of the little ward. Such care will save him from many troubles and illnesses, and also prolong his life.
How to make a terrarium for turtles with your own hands?
Decide on the size of your pet’s home, remember that no animal will feel comfortable in a small, cramped space. The priority materials for the manufacture of the terrarium are plexiglass, which, alas, is not cheap now, as well as ordinary plywood. In order to save money, you can equip three plywood walls and the front one, through which you will watch your pet. made of plexiglass. Many veterinarians advise doing this for the psychological comfort of the turtle, which your sudden movement and bright light from all directions can lead to stress and irritability.
How to make a terrarium with your own hands?
First of all, we will consider how to make an artificial terrarium with your own hands for land turtles. Land turtles are most popular because of their simplicity of keeping and unpretentious food. They are also the cheapest among all types of turtles. This contributes to the fact that it is they who are most often chosen as exotic pets. First of all, you need to remember the basic rules for keeping such turtles:
- They are very sensitive to sudden changes in temperature and drafts, so do not let your pet move independently on the floor of the apartment.
- To strengthen the turtle’s immunity, its diet should contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals, as well as calcium in the required amount, since if it is lacking, the animal will have problems with the strength of the shell, cracks and chips may appear.
- The bottom of the enclosure should be covered with soft material up to 5 cm thick, ensuring easy movement and zero injury risk. The best options are sawdust and hay. If you notice that the turtle is eating a bed of hay, do not be alarmed, this does not pose any danger to its health. The disadvantage of sawdust litter is their rapid deterioration and the need for replacement.
How to make a turtle terrarium with your own hands
If you decide to purchase a pet and your choice fell on not quite standard cold-blooded or reptiles, first, familiarize yourself with the living conditions necessary for them. So, a land reptile requires the arrangement of a special terrarium, and a water reptile also requires an internal hydrospace, which is usually an aquarium.
How to make a large terrarium for your aquatic turtle?
the aquatic turtle differs from the land turtle in stricter requirements for conditions in the terrarium and, of course, in the presence of a pool. The type of water for each type of turtles is different, but sea turtles are almost never kept at home due to their impressive size compared to ordinary ones.
How to make a turtle terrarium with your own hands
If you decide to have exotic animals at home, know that you will need a terrarium. Whether it’s a turtle or some kind of lizard, they all require special comfort in their so-called “cage”. You need to try to make the environment as natural as possible, similar to wildlife. Let’s get down to creating a terrarium!
How to make a terrarium with your own hands?
First of all, you should think about what to make a box for your terrarium. After reading the forums, you can come to the conclusion that glass is very expensive, OSB is harmful, because it emits toxic fumes, so we settled on plywood, an environmentally friendly and cheap material. Of course, there are some drawbacks, and in terms of functionality, glass is much superior to plywood, but this is already a matter of money. Let’s start creating!
Determine the size of the terrarium and buy plywood. It is advisable to build it as much as possible so that there is not too little space for your pet.
We will prepare the tools and materials we need: liquid nails, drill, glue, plywood, corners, and self-tapping screws.
We take one plywood, the bottom and glue (we also fasten) two small pieces of plywood along the edges (1 cm from the edge). They will serve as supports for the walls. Then glue the side wall.
We strengthen the side walls by attaching corners to them.
When the side pieces are ready, move on to the back wall. We glue it with glue, then fasten a few more screws.
Thus, we also fix the cover of our terrarium. We fasten it tightly, since the terrarium in our case will open from the side.
Let’s make the bottom for the terrarium. Take three more small strips of plywood and glue them to the floor. Then glue a large piece of plywood on top.
In front, we decided to insert two glasses that will move along the slats. Attach the rail and insert the glass.
Also, on the sides, for a more comfortable existence, we do ventilation. Cut out two sections and insert a ventilation mesh.
The case is ready! Now it remains to decorate the terrarium and it already depends on your pet.
How to make a turtle terrarium?
We decided to decorate the back wall of our terrarium, take regular bark and attach it with glue.
Do not forget to insert the lamp.
We cover the floor with a film so that there is no unpleasant sensation of plywood.
BABY TURTLE AQUARIUM SETUP || STEP BY STEP || MD FISH TANKS
And after that you can fill our terrarium with sawdust, stones and plants.
Bonding the frame
After the drawing is ready, you can start making the main frame of the product (glass box). The cut parts are glued together. For this, the edges are pre-degreased, and then abundantly greased with an adhesive. Sections of parts are connected together and pressed down with a flat rectangular weight.
The protruding adhesive is cut off after it hardens. It is not worth pressing the parts too tightly to each other, there should be a small gap between them, filled with a layer of adhesive.
Do not forget about the inlet
The result should be a rectangular box with a built-in mesh for ventilation. The next stage of work is the device of the sliding door.
The inlet is designed as follows:
- a deep profile is glued to the ceiling;
- a shallower profile is installed on the upper part of the front corner of the ventilation fence.
Both halves of the doors are inserted into the grooves of the profiles, they work according to the principle of doors in wardrobes.
Ventilation system arrangement
The ventilation system works on the principle of flowing air. It happens like this: the air flow enters one hole and exits the other.
It is quite simple to equip such a ventilation system, for this it is enough to make an inlet at the bottom of the product, and an outlet at its top. In this case, the upper hole should be twice as large as the lower one. The entrance and exit must be covered with a metal mesh. Do not place the holes opposite each other, otherwise there will be a constant draft in the terrarium, destructive to animals.
Instead of one outlet, you can make several small ones. To insulate holes, it is best to take an aluminum mesh, it is quite durable and does not rust.
Ventilation is an essential element of the terrarium
Equipment and tools
Before starting work, you should prepare the following tools:
- glass cutter;
- glass marker;
- well sharpened knife;
- rectangular cargo with a flat flat surface;
- double-sided tape;
- well sharpened scissors.
In the process of work, you will need rags that will remove the remainder of the adhesive from the surface of glasses and hands.
There are a number of glue requirements
Having dealt with the necessary tools, you need to draw a drawing of the future product on paper. Dimensions can be taken from any manual or individual, taken based on measurements made in your own home. In order for the terrarium to be conveniently placed in a residential area, the place where it will be installed should be determined in advance. This can be a certain area in the winter garden, a niche in the wall, or some other corner of the house.
After it is clear where exactly the dwelling for exotic pets will be, you should take measurements and start creating a drawing. Patterns are cut out of paper and applied to the surface of plexiglass, then they are circled with a marker and cut out.
Selection of organic glass
Of course, you can make a terrarium for your pets from ordinary glass, but this process is much more complicated and requires experience and skills from the master. Glass is quite fragile, easily cracks and breaks.
To find plexiglass suitable for making a terrarium, it is enough to know that there are two types of it:
Injection plexiglass causes fewer complaints from consumers, since it does not cloud as quickly as extrusion. Some types of molded plexiglas perfectly transmit ultraviolet rays and do not deteriorate when exposed to sunlight.
For this reason, such material is more expensive than extrusion counterparts. For the manufacture of a terrarium, sheets with a thickness of more than 0.5 cm are suitable.
Making a terrarium with your own hands is a rather painstaking and laborious occupation, but as a result, you can get a product of a suitable size and adapted for a certain type of exotic pets. A custom-made system can be easily installed in a specific niche or any other opening.
Silicate and organic glass are best suited for making a terrarium.
The benefits of using such a material are as follows:
- difficult to break;
- plexiglass box keeps heat well;
- Plexiglas shards rarely have sharp edges;
- organic glass is easy to process.
Do not forget to prepare the source material
But this material also has certain disadvantages:
- Scratches appear on the surface of the walls due to improper use of the finished product. For this reason, you only have to wash the glass with a soft flannel cloth or gauze. It is unacceptable to use hard sponges, scraping devices and chemicals with fine-grained fillers.
- The plane of plexiglass under the influence of sunlight loses its transparency, begins to grow cloudy and fade.
Only those tenants who do not have claws can live in a terrarium made of such material:
For animals with claws (lizards and turtles), the main box should be made of other materials.
In addition to glass, you will need to purchase:
- plastic corners;
- durable aluminum mesh for the ventilation system;
- plastic profiles for the manufacture of a doorway in two sizes (their depth should correspond to the thickness of the material intended for the manufacture of doors).
In this video, you will learn how to make a terrarium:
How to make a do-it-yourself terrarium at home
The terrarium can be made with your own hands
Making a terrarium cover
There are terrariums without doors, but with a removable cover.
The advantage of such a system is that it is convenient to install into the cover:
- sockets for heating lamps;
- mounts for devices;
- fans for forced ventilation (in case the usual ventilation system was not provided).
For very large terrariums, forced ventilation is recommended.
For this purpose, two fans are installed:
- the first is designed to provide fresh air from the outside;
- the second is necessary for mixing the air inside the glass box.
Terrarium fans are selected based on the following characteristics:
For the manufacture of the cover, you can take PVC or non-toxic brands of dense plastic.
The height of the cover is calculated depending on the dimensions of the equipment, which will be attached from below to its bottom, and the length and width should correspond to the dimensions of the terrarium box with an allowance for the thickness of the material. All lid parts are cut and glued in the same manner as the main terrarium parts. Holes for wires are drilled in the finished cover and a hatch is cut out. At the end, lamps are built into the cover. The wires must be insulated very high quality, and it is recommended to stick to the cartridges on a plastic piece so that there is a gap between the heating lamps and the bottom of the cover.
Fans are selected according to 3 criteria
Turtle Carpenter. Floating Shore
Floating structures are convenient in that they save space, are easy to remove and do not interfere with cleaning the aquarium. You can make them yourself from improvised materials. plastic, cork. But it should be borne in mind that this type of sushi is only suitable as a temporary option. It is best to make a comfortable and reliable raft for a pet from wood or bamboo.
IMPORTANT: When choosing processing agents, it is imperative to check that they do not contain harmful or toxic substances. Well suited impregnations that are used for wood in a sauna or steam bath.
- Suspended. most often shelves and other hinged devices that are attached to the walls of the aquarium above the water level, a ladder must be attached to them.
- Support. installed on the bottom (various islands for turtles, bridges, slides), must be heavy and strong enough so that the pet does not move the device along the bottom.
- Bulk. part of the aquaterrarium is separated by a partition and covered with sand or pebbles, this method allows you to make a spacious land area for the turtle.
- Floating ones are usually small structures, but even a large raft can be made using modern materials. The disadvantage of such a device is mobility and “drowning”. it can be used for young and growing individuals.
When choosing a design, it is better to be guided by the conditions of a particular aquaterrarium. In small containers, it is recommended to use suspended and floating models so as not to reduce the total area available to the pet. If the aquarium is large, you can make the shore for the red-eared turtle wooden or set up a reliable island of stone.
One of the simplest sushi options is a shelf that sticks to the walls. To do this, you need a piece of thick food-grade plastic, wood, tiles or glass 6 mm that is suitable in size.
The glass is cut with a special oil glass cutter; you can also purchase a piece of the desired size in the workshop. To make a do-it-yourself hanging bank for a red-eared turtle, you will need silicone glue-sealant. To get the job done, you need to follow the step-by-step instructions:
- The edges of the shelf should be evenly cut and sanded with sandpaper. it is better to grout the glass under a stream of water to avoid inhaling small particles.
- Water is drained from the aquarium, the walls are thoroughly washed from plaque, the place where the shelf is attached is degreased.
- The aquaterrarium is placed on its side, the edges of the shelf are covered with a sealant.
- The shelf is applied to the walls and pressed firmly for a few minutes so that the glue seizes.
- The part is fixed with masking tape and left to dry completely for a day.
- For a heavy tiled shelf, it is better to immediately glue the support. a vertical piece of plastic or tile that will rest on the bottom.
To make it convenient for the pet to go on land, the shelf is attached at a slight angle, or a plastic or glass ladder is glued. Its lower edge is not lowered to the bottom. this way the reptile will have enough space to swim. The surface of the descent and the land itself must be lubricated with a sealant and sprinkled with clean sand. You can glue the pebbles to dry land, or small glass beads will do. Shelves with artificial grass made of plastic look beautiful, a soft rubber green mat will become an analogue. These methods will help to make the surface of the shelf textured and the turtle will have no difficulty in moving on land.
IMPORTANT: In order not to worry about a rough surface, you can find decorative tiles with a relief pattern. Convex mowing lines and strips will create a sufficiently textured base so that the pet’s paws do not slip, and it will be easier to wash such a surface than pasted over with pebbles.
Homemade stone island
To make the most stone island in the aquarium, you will need to pick up pebbles or stones of a suitable size (at least 4-5 cm). Better to choose flat stones with a rough surface. They need to be pre-processed at home. boil over low heat for half an hour to kill all bacteria.
DIY Mini Indoor TURTLE POND!
You can make an island for a turtle with your own hands from stone without using additional materials and tools. The water is drained from the aquarium and several layers of pebbles are laid out in one of the corners to make a slide of the desired height. A sealant can be used to stabilize the structure, but it is better to choose stones that are flat enough to be held in place by their weight. They can be disassembled and washed when cleaning the aquaterrarium.
Islet (coast, land, raft) and a bridge to the aquarium for a turtle with your own hands
Decorative version of the island
An island for a red-eared turtle can not only function as a land, but become a real decoration of an aquaterrarium. To make it, you can use dried and processed parts of coral massifs, pieces of granite or wood, pick up bright pebbles or glue pebbles on an island of different colors. When laid out in a specific sequence, they will create an elegant mosaic-like pattern. You can also use plastic plants, colored glass granules, shells to decorate the surface.
Terrarium for a red-eared turtle. how to organize correctly?
All owners of such turtles and those who are just going to start them need to know that they require not only water procedures, but also heat on the island of land, the “sun” that you create yourself. I would also like to note that it is absolutely not necessary to spend large sums of money to purchase a fully equipped “home” for your pet. It is not difficult to make an excellent terrarium for a red-eared turtle with your own hands. It will become comfortable and cozy for your pet if you treat this work with heart.
Red-eared turtles are thermophilic creatures. source of heating is vital for them. Aquarium lamps can be used for this purpose. A terrarium for red-eared turtles should be warmed up in a temperature range from 22 ° C to 29 ° C. Lower, as well as higher temperatures will negatively affect the condition of your pets. You can illuminate the turtle’s dwelling using mirror and ultraviolet lamps.
What should be a “home” for a turtle?
The water layer should be 40 cm.To the pet does not go on a journey around your home, the terrarium for the red-eared turtle must be covered with a glass or plastic sheet with perforation, which serves for sufficient air exchange.
How to purify water?
For this purpose, you will need a filter that is commonly used for home aquariums. This is very important as timely water changes and the use of a filter will ensure the safety of the terrarium dwellers. For red-eared turtles, increased organic matter in their home is undesirable.
A self-equipped terrarium for red-eared turtles allows your pet to be close to aquarium fish. Of course, it is undesirable for them to be in the same “house”. this can provoke frequent conflicts between its inhabitants. In this case, it is better to use a vertical glass wall that separates the fish tank and turtle terrarium. There should be holes in the partition so that water can flow freely, but the inhabitants of the aquaterrarium should not penetrate through them into the territory of their neighbors.
Simple and Cheap Red Eared Turtle Terrarium Tank DIY
In the part where the fish will be, the bottom of the “house” can be decorated with special plants. Do not bother to create a beautiful design on the turtle’s territory, she will not appreciate your worries and will gladly eat green spaces.
Description of the species
Decorated turtles (Chrysemys) are classified into eight types. Their representatives live in various reservoirs of South and North America. The most famous of them is the beautiful and slender red-eared turtle.
Its shell reaches 28 cm in length. The pattern on it and the coloring of each individual is individual. A characteristic feature of this species is two orange, red or yellow spots that are located on the sides of the head.
These turtles prefer shallow boggy reservoirs. At home, they are often called “red-eared slider” for their special manner of running away from danger at a very high speed, sliding their belly along the soil surface in order to quickly dive into the water.
Varieties of artificial reservoirs: pros and cons
Before equipping a dwelling for a pet, you should decide on its size. The calculation is simple: the length of the tank should accommodate 3-6 lengths of the reptile. the more spacious, the better. Naturally, you should take into account the approximate size of an adult.
In the case of its active growth, the terrarium will most likely have to be replaced with a larger one or immediately provide the pet with a free home. For example, a 10-centimeter turtle needs a container with a length of at least half a meter. As for the height and width, they must be at least 3 sizes of an individual.
If the owner wants to have 2-3 turtles, then a terrarium 2-3 times larger is required. It can be made of wood, thick plastic, plexiglass or regular glass. But it is worth remembering that reptiles cannot see transparent surfaces and can hit them. If this often happens with the turtle, you can paste over the transparent area with a film, for example, with a tropical or other plant pattern.
What terrariums are most often used for a turtle house?
Lighting and heating devices
Land turtles, who love warmth and need ultraviolet radiation, need them. So that the air temperature does not fall below 26 ° C and does not rise above 30 ° C, you can install a heater or a simple lamp, the power of which does not exceed 60W. An excellent imitation of the sun’s rays is a lamp with a UV lamp. It is used in keeping many tropical, thermophilic pets.
Such devices should be installed at least 20 cm from the bottom of the tank so that the turtle does not burn. Another suitable option is to cover the incandescent lamp with a safety grill. The duration of daylight hours for reptiles is 10-12 hours, so the lighting for the night period must be turned off.
There is no need to strive for the same temperature throughout the turtle’s dwelling. On the contrary, it is desirable that it has a warm and cold area where the reptile can warm up and, if necessary, cool down.
Choice of materials
The mistake of many land turtle owners is the choice of a terrarium made entirely of glass. Like humans, reptiles also need peace. In the glass terrarium, they will always be in sight. Any careless movement, bright light and fluctuating shadows will disturb the turtle‘s peace. As a result, an impressionable reptile can experience constant stress, which negatively affects its health.
The best option for a terrarium would be a combination of glass and quality plywood. Only the front of the product should be made of glass. The rest will be made of opaque plywood. You can use other materials suitable for this purpose.
After you have completely assembled the structure of the dwelling for the land turtle, you can proceed to the final stage. the design of the terrarium. It is advisable to cover the bottom with a special primer. In addition, it is necessary to carry out lighting, install a bowl for feeding the pet and decorate the terrarium with decor.
As you can see from the above, creating a terrarium with your own hands is a fairly simple and quick exercise. The main thing in the process of its manufacture is a responsible approach and attention to detail.
Land reptiles are not averse to soak up the warm water, therefore, if the area of the tank allows, you can install a tank with low sides. It is filled with warm water, the depth of which should only cover half of the turtle’s shell. It is important that she can independently climb into an impromptu bath and crawl out.
Where the land dweller is more comfortable
Disputes about where the house turtle is best to live do not subside to this day. It is believed that the reptile feels best on free grazing. Indeed, this option has a number of specific advantages:
- the pet can move freely and independently choose a suitable place to rest;
- he is not threatened by the negative impact of a confined space.
However, upon closer examination, it turns out that there are much more negative aspects in this case:
- The reptile is not provided with adequate moisture. In addition, in such conditions, other necessary parameters are not supported. illumination and air temperature.
- The turtle will often crawl into nooks and crannies where it is difficult to detect, and naturally, it will not get ultraviolet radiation. It is not protected from cold and drafts and can be injured.
- The pet will be deprived of one of the main joys. digging the ground. Where can she find earth or sand in her apartment to bury herself in??
- Adaptation in the face of such freedom can be significantly delayed. As practice shows, reptiles do not care where to crawl. She feels uncomfortable in the new environment. She is frightened by sharp sounds, unknown routes, the absence of a house.
- Reptiles are quite curious, they can gnaw and even swallow small inedible objects. If in nature they often turn out to be pieces of limestone, pebbles, then in the conditions of an apartment these pets often gorge themselves on garbage.
So, if you weigh the pros and cons, it turns out that caring for a reptile includes creating a comfortable and comfortable terrarium.
Stages of creating a terrarium with your own hands
A terrarium for a land turtle can be made with your own hands without having any special knowledge. To make a dwelling for a reptile, use the following instructions:
- We prepare all the blanks necessary for the future product, which must necessarily have smooth and neat edges.
- We fix the bottom of the future terrarium on the working surface.
- We attach the side walls with a universal glue.
- We fix the back wall with glue. Be sure to check the reliability of the fastening.
- Additionally, we strengthen the structure using special corners with screws. After that, we close the corners with a special decor so that the reptile does not injure itself about them.
- After all parts of the terrarium are assembled, proceed to fixing the glass front wall. We attach it to plywood using the same all-purpose glue.
- After finishing work, we check the product for cracks. If they are found, we treat them with liquid nails or sealant. Pay attention to this stage, as if there are cracks, the turtle’s waste products may leak out. In addition, the presence of gaps can create a draft inside the enclosure, which negatively affects the health of your pet.
Types of terrariums
The vertical terrarium is suitable for arboreal animals such as chameleons, iguanas, some snakes. The horizontal type is intended for land turtles, geckos, monitor lizards, that is, for pets that live mostly on the ground in natural conditions. The cube version is universal, as it suits almost everyone, including reptiles living in the ground. If you decide to get a caiman or a water turtle, then you will need an aquaterrarium.
Before starting a pet, you need to find out as much as possible about its nutrition, living conditions and norms. It is necessary to keep cold-blooded reptiles and amphibians (toads, crocodiles, turtles) in special terrariums made of plywood, chipboard, plexiglass. A very important component is the correct choice of humidity and temperature conditions.
How to make a turtle terrarium with your own hands?
How to set up a turtle terrarium? Everything is very simple. If your turtle is a land tortoise, then in order to save money, you can make a terrarium not from plexiglass, but from plywood. The larger the container, the better for the pet. In this case, we are starting to build a product with dimensions 87x47x48 cm.
Remember that all materials must be sustainable. The bottom and three walls will be made of plywood, the front part will be made of glass. We take a base 87×47 cm and water-based liquid nails.
You will need a glue gun, a screwdriver and a small drill as tools.
It is imperative to make the top cover if you have, for example, cats, dogs, birds.
Plywood needs to be pasted over with a film imitating wood, for example.
Take note of this decoration option.
Do-it-yourself terrarium for a freshwater red-eared turtle should look more like an aquarium.