They buy a turtle, mostly still very small, but in the first year of life it is actively growing and can increase in size by as much as 10 cm. A three-year-old pet can be up to 20 cm long.After that, the growth of the turtle decreases and is about 1 cm per year.
Knowing the approximate size of the turtle in the future, we can safely say that she will need an aquarium for at least 100 liters, or even all 200 liters. But this does not mean that a small turtle should be immediately planted in such an aquarium. Most likely not, since she will not feel very comfortable there.
An interior made of artificial plants is also not very suitable as she can easily bite off a bite and choke.
The availability of the required amount of water is very important. There should be enough for the turtle to swim, but not too much. This usually depends on the size of the turtle itself.
No neighbors, such as fish, snails and other representatives of the underwater world, cannot be attached to her, since she will simply eat them.
Red-eared turtle aquarium
Many people keep red-eared turtles at home, as they are just as interesting animals as other pets, such as reptiles. Since the turtle is an amphibian reptile, they need to be kept in the presence of water. Before you start a red-eared turtle at home, you should arm yourself with information on the subject of where and how, as well as under what conditions it can be kept.
As a rule, it is kept in an aquarium, which is somewhat different from a fish tank, since the turtle needs to get out of the water from time to time and rest, basking in the sun or taking baths from a quartz lamp. If there is too much water in the aquarium, and it cannot rest anywhere, then it can easily drown.
The red-eared turtle is a cold-blooded, tropical animal and needs warmth in order for the entire body to function normally. If the aquarium does not maintain the appropriate temperature or it is much lower than normal, then it can hibernate, and possibly die.
The aquarium should be equipped with a lamp capable of heating the air to 28-30 ° C, so that it can eat and bask in the area of the island. You also need an ultraviolet lamp to irradiate the turtle to avoid a disease such as rickets.
As for the water temperature, it must be at least 25 ° C. If the lamp is not able to heat the water to such a temperature, then an additional heater will have to be installed. At this water temperature, microbes begin to multiply in it very quickly, especially since the turtles defecate into the water. Therefore, it is very important to regularly change the water, but at the same time you should have a powerful filter that would constantly purify the water in the aquarium. The water can be changed more often, but partially. This procedure should be done once a week. The water intended for the aquarium should settle for 5 days.
it can be said that the main condition for the successful development of the red-eared turtle is to maintain cleanliness in the aquarium, as well as to ensure conditions close to natural conditions for its development. At the same time, one should not forget that the pet’s diet contains foods rich in calcium, vitamins A and D, while the diet should be varied.
It is very important that the aquarium is not small, and she can lead an active lifestyle, otherwise, as a result of physical inactivity, her metabolism in the body may be disturbed, which can entail a lot of negativity.
Stages of work
Cut pieces of glass must be pre-processed. wipe the sharp edges with sandpaper. The cuts should be as even as possible, a discrepancy of no more than 1-1.5 mm is allowed, otherwise it will be difficult to achieve tightness of the joints. When sanding, sharp particles of glass dust can get into the lungs, so you should wear a protective mask when sanding the edges. At home, it is better to use the bathroom for work, the constantly turned on shower helps to quickly wash off the dust. After preparing the parts, the following steps are performed step by step:
- A strip of scotch tape is glued to one of the sides so that it extends over the edge.
- The second part is carefully lowered onto the sticky side of the tape, then both parts are raised and folded at an angle, with the tape inward.
- With the help of tape, all four sides of the aquarium are assembled and placed vertically.It is necessary to check that the glasses fit together as tightly as possible, and the sides are parallel.
- All joints are degreased with alcohol and coated with glue-sealant in two layers. each layer is leveled with a piece of paper; so that the glue does not stain the glass, it is recommended to glue additional vertical strips of masking tape, which are removed after completion of the work.
- You cannot save glue, it must fill the joints completely. for a better result, it is better to use a special gun that squeezes out the glue in even portions; if the glue layer is not dense enough, later, under the pressure of water, a joint leak may form.
- A detail of the bottom of the aquarium is laid on top of the structure, first on small droplets of silicone, then when the evenness of the joints is checked, they are also degreased and coated with silicone.
- The aquaterrarium is left to dry for several hours, then gently turned over.
- All adhesive tape is removed, traces are washed off if necessary, internal joints are degreased.
- All seams are coated with glue in two layers, then they are also allowed to dry.
- The aquarium is left to dry for at least a day, after which water is collected and left for several days to check for leaks. Usually the corners are leaking. if a leak is detected, the water is drained, the joints are dried with a hair dryer and coated with another layer of sealant.
After drying, the excess silicone is carefully cut off with a clerical knife. A large aquarium can be reinforced with stiffening ribs. for this you need to place horizontal strips of glass or plastic 4 cm wide on wide walls in the corners. 3 cm recede from the top of the side, fastening is done with glue. In the future, these strips can be used as a support for a protective net or cover.
IMPORTANT: When cutting, it is required to immediately lay a sufficient height of the walls. with poured water, 20-30 cm should remain from its surface to the edge of the side. You also need to take into account the level at which the shelf or the height of the island will be attached. An animal can easily get out of an aquaterrarium with too low sides.
Materials and tools
To make an aquarium for a red-eared turtle with your own hands, you need to purchase pieces of glass of a suitable size. You can cut them yourself or in a glass workshop. Smooth joints are very important for the tightness and strength of the device, so if you have no experience with a glass cutter, it is better to contact a professional worker. The thickness of the glass for the aquaterrarium, on the walls of which a large volume of water will press, must be at least 6-10mm. You will also need the following items to work:
- oil glass cutter;
- adhesive sealant;
- masking or ordinary tape;
- ruler, square.
For work, you need to prepare a flat surface. a large table or an empty space on the floor in the room will do. When choosing a place, it should be borne in mind that after assembly, a homemade aquarium cannot be touched for several days. until the sealant has completely dried. It is necessary to work with glass in protective gloves, at some stages a respirator is used.
IMPORTANT: The choice of adhesive sealant must be given special attention. Many types of construction adhesives contain toxic substances that can enter the water. A clear silicone sealant without additives is best suited.
Making an island
You can independently equip a turtle for a red-eared turtle with the necessary access to land in two ways. In the first case, the island is collected by their large flat pebbles and set on the bottom. The stones must first be washed and boiled, then laid out from them a semblance of a hill. You can use the shape of a grotto or an arch to further decorate the aquaterrarium. The stones are held together with a small amount of sealant, the structure is left to dry completely. The finished island is lowered into the water so that the upper part protrudes above the surface and it is convenient for the turtle to climb onto it.
To make an island shelf, use a piece of glass or plexiglass; durable plastic is also suitable. To fix it, perform a sequence of actions:
- Marks are made on the walls of the aquarium at the desired height (the distance to the top of the walls should exceed the diameter of the shell of an adult turtle).
- The structure is turned over to the side to which the shelf will be attached, the glass surface is degreased.
- For gluing, glue-sealant is used, the shelf should be located in the corner, with support on at least two sides, and you can also install a shelf that will be attached to three sides.
- To make it convenient for the turtle to climb the island, a ladder is made. a strip of glass or plastic, which is attached to the shelf and rests on the bottom.
- Small pebbles and glass granules are glued to the surface of the ladder so that the pet’s paws do not slip.
It is recommended to glue the shelf-island at the stage of assembling the aquarium itself. Sometimes, for the formation of land, bulk soil is used. sand or pebbles. For this, a part of the aquarium is separated by a partition of the required height. the resulting container is filled with sand, and water is collected in the rest of the tank. The turtle gets out of the water onto land along an inclined ladder. This method is not very convenient due to the difficulties of cleaning the aquaterrarium with bulk soil.
Decorative version of the island
An island for a red-eared turtle can not only function as a land, but become a real decoration of an aquaterrarium. To make it, you can use dried and processed parts of coral massifs, pieces of granite or wood, pick up bright pebbles or glue pebbles on an island of different colors. When laid out in a specific sequence, they will create an elegant mosaic-like pattern. You can also use plastic plants, colored glass granules, shells to decorate the surface.
Before you go looking for materials, you need to decide on the type of future land area. There are several basic constructs:
- Suspended. most often shelves and other hinged devices that are attached to the walls of the aquarium above the water level, a ladder must be attached to them.
- Support. installed on the bottom (various islands for turtles, bridges, slides), must be heavy and strong enough so that the pet does not move the device along the bottom.
- Bulk. part of the aquaterrarium is separated by a partition and covered with sand or pebbles, this method allows you to make a spacious land area for the turtle.
- Floating ones are usually small structures, but even a large raft can be made using modern materials. The disadvantage of such a device is mobility and “drowning”. it can be used for young and growing individuals.
When choosing a design, it is better to be guided by the conditions of a particular aquaterrarium. In small containers, it is recommended to use suspended and floating models so as not to reduce the total area available to the pet. If the aquarium is large, you can make the shore for the red-eared turtle wooden or set up a reliable island of stone.
How to build dry land?
- Suspended structure
- Based on the bottom of the reservoir
Suspended structures have a more practical and aesthetic design. That is, a do-it-yourself hanging-type island for a turtle is a neat and refined land, which was created for the maximum convenience of the pet.
The coast, supported by the bottom, is more massive. Such designs look very natural and natural. Islets with support on the bottom are most often presented in the form of a large stone statue, which simply plunges into a pond, in order to look out of the water by 25-50 (mm) and have at least one gently sloping side along which the turtle will climb the island.
If you create a suspended shore for a turtle with your own hands, then you can take as a building material:
- Ordinary glass with rounded edges
- Tiles without sharp edges
Why exactly these materials? The fact is that glass and tiles are completely hypoallergenic materials that do not change the chemical and structural composition of water. If you take plastic or wood soaked in a water-repellent solution, then the water of the aquaterrarium will slowly but surely be poisoned by all kinds of toxins.
How to make AquaTerrarium for Turtle with Waterfall
If an island is being built for a red-eared turtle with its own hands, based on the bottom, then as a material you can take:
- Large pebbles. These are large, rounded lumps. You can take not one pebble, but 3.4 or all 5
- Massive natural stone
- Granite statue
- Corral reef
The advantage of these materials is their natural and natural texture. The boulders do not need to be processed or otherwise finished. The disadvantage of these materials is their massiveness. That is, if the suspended islands do not occupy the space of the reservoir. then land based on the bottom of the reservoir takes away precious water space.
Building an islet in the aquaterrarium for a turtle
Islets of glass covered with pebbles
A piece of glass of the right size is cut out (under 1.5-2 sizes of a turtle), stones are glued to it, and then it is glued into the aquarium on the aquarium sealant (glue). The aquarium must be empty and dry. The turtle can be populated 2-3 days after airing the aquarium.
What should be an island for a water turtle?
- Turtle accessible. so that the turtle can easily climb onto land;
- Rough. both the island and the ladder to it should not be smooth, otherwise the turtle will slide;
- Strong. the land must support the weight of the turtle, must be stable so as not to crush the animal;
- Absolutely dry. no water should be poured onto it, i.e. the island must be above the water level. this is the only way the turtle can dry out and warm up;
- Placed no higher than 20 cm from the top of the aquarium so that the lamps can be installed and the turtle cannot escape from the aquarium.;
- Heated. there must be a heating lamp and an ultraviolet lamp above the island (since water practically does not transmit UV rays), the temperature on the island must be higher than the water temperature, about 30-31 C;
- Made of durable and non-toxic materials. islands made of polystyrene or pasted over with small pebbles, which the turtle can swallow, are absolutely not suitable; it is impossible that there are strips of silicone sealant on the island, the turtle can eat it;
- The ladder from the island should not be located close to the bottom, otherwise the turtle can get stuck between the bottom of the aquarium and the ladder and drown.
The main parameters of the island
The size of the islet should be 3-4 times the size of an amphibian. If several turtles live in the aquarium, then the land should be 2 times the area of the shells of all pets.
The turtle island must be accessible, that is, located in such a way that the animal can easily climb onto it. It is best if a gentle ladder leads to the surface of the land.
The land should be rough, which will help the pet to move on it with ease, turn.
The dry area should be above the water level and not get wet. Otherwise, the pet will not be able to dry and warm on it properly.
The islet should be located 15-20 cm below the edge. otherwise the animal will easily escape from it.
Heating in the form of an ultraviolet lamp should be installed over land. After all, water poorly transmits ultraviolet rays, and the turtle needs them for growth, production of vital substances in the body, and the proper functioning of organs. However, the temperature on the island should not exceed 30 ºС.
It is important that the land is made from non-toxic materials.
One of the most common options is a piece of glass land. For its manufacture, a glass rectangle is cut out corresponding to the size of the pet. With the help of an aqua sealant at the desired height, it is glued to the walls of the aquarium. Its surface, also with the help of a sealant, is inlaid with natural pebbles. The ladder can be made of glass or a rough piece of plastic. All work must be done in a completely dry aquarium. You can populate a turtle in it after two days. During this time, the sealant will dry out, and its smell will disappear.
It is easy to make an island yourself from a piece of tile. It is an environmentally friendly material that will not harm the health of the turtle. The tiles are attached to the aquarium with a sealant. However, it is smooth and the animal will slide on the surface. Glue the island with a piece of rubber mat “under the grass”, pebbles, or make neat notches on its surface with a hammer and chisel.
The easiest option is an island of large stones. They fit in the corner of the aquarium, but first, the stones must be washed with soap and boiled in a saucepan for 5 minutes.
If you decide to make an islet yourself, it is not recommended to use Styrofoam, as it crumbles and the turtle can be poisoned by swallowing a piece. Usually floating islands are made from this material. But they are not suitable for turtles. The animal will not be able to climb onto an unstable surface, moreover, under the weight of the animal’s body, it will turn over. And you should also not use snags and branches as sushi for turtles, since in the water they quickly succumb to the decay process and spoil the water.
Now I will tell you how to make a mysterious island for your turtle. Red-eared turtles are very fond of climbing on land, so you need to make a raft or island in your aquarium. For example, I have a large aquarium and the depth of water is small, and a turtle of 3 kilograms probably. She probably already needs a whole flesh for her: D Therefore, I made it much easier.
The water level in my aquarium is about 30 cm. I took a simple plastic basin, put in it stones and soil of various kinds, which I had at home, and put it in the middle of the aquarium. The turtle became very pleased. Climbs on it without any problems and sits. The only jamb is that when she wants to return to the input, she jumps down sharply, and the depth is small, she beats against the bottom. But she has been living like this for several years and is not discouraged: D
Breeding Cuban crayfish Cuban crayfish are interesting and very adorable animals. They can be kept separately as a species, or they can be added to the aquarium with fish. But you should know that during the day they treat their.
There are two types of domesticated turtles: land and water. When arranging a home for your pet, it is necessary to take into account all the points regarding the care and maintenance of these reptiles, although the turtle is considered a rather unpretentious pet.
Islet of stones
How else to make an island for a turtle with your own hands? The least costly solution in terms of loss of time and energy is the creation of a platform from large stones. Since the material is of natural origin, it will not harm your pet. Among other things, the stones themselves have a rough surface. Therefore, you do not have to create any notches on them or paste over.
Before proceeding with the design of the island, you should wash the stones in soapy water, then rinse them thoroughly. Finally, it is worth boiling the material in a saucepan for several minutes. The solution will eliminate pathogens that can potentially concentrate on the surface of stones.
Stacking stones is recommended in one of the corners of the aquarium. You need to create a slide with a pitched plane. This is the only way the turtle will be able to get out on land without any problems.
What materials are not suitable for creating an island?
It is not a very reasonable option when organizing a site in an aquarium to use the following ideas:
- Polyfoam. easy to process, has a rough surface, adheres perfectly to water and retains heat. Despite these advantages, the material crumbles easily. Particles of foam can get into the water. If the turtle decides to try one of these bites, it may choke.
- Inflatable pillow. such an island will keep well on the water. However, it will be difficult for the turtle to climb and hold on to it.
- Wooden board or driftwood. making an island for a red-eared turtle with your own hands from such materials is not difficult. The use of natural material will not harm the health of the animal. At the same time, the wooden island will gradually start to rot. Particles will enter the water, which will spoil its quality and lead to the need for regular cleaning of the aquarium.
How to make an island for a turtle with your own hands, so that the reptiles can rest comfortably and safely on it? When preparing such a site, you should pay attention to the following points:
- The size of the island is of decisive importance. It is desirable that its area is several times larger than the size of a turtle. When it comes to keeping a group of such pets, the site needs to be created truly spacious.
- When preparing an island for a turtle with your own hands, you need to consider how easy it will be for a pet to climb it. A good solution looks like the arrangement of a special inclined ladder, which is partially immersed in water.
- It is better if the surface of the island is textured. It will be much easier for the turtle to move on a rough plane.
- Making an island for a turtle with your own hands must be strong enough. The site should not sag under the weight of the reptile.
- It is necessary that the surface of the island always remain above the water level. This will allow the turtle to dry out and warm its body while it is resting.
- Do not fix the platform at the very edge of the aquarium. The island should be 15-20 centimeters below its top line. After all, otherwise the turtle can get out and escape, while being injured.
- The entire area of the island must be heated with an ultraviolet lamp. The creation of such an alternative to natural sunlight is required by the turtle for healthy growth and development of the body. In this case, you need to monitor the maintenance of the temperature on the island within 30 o C. After all, the reptile can overheat.
As practice shows, it is quite simple to make an island for a red-eared turtle with your own hands from a piece of durable glass. For these purposes, they take a large piece of material and cut out a square or rectangular area from it, the dimensions of which are several times larger than the parameters of a reptile. The edges of the glass blank are ground and rubbed with sandpaper so that sharp edges do not harm the pet.
The island is attached to the walls of the aquarium using a sealant. The surface of the site with the help of the same composition is pasted over with small pebbles. This solution will give the island a natural look.
When creating an island for a turtle with your own hands, you should take care of preparing a ladder along which the reptile will climb to the surface. The latter can be a similar piece of glass with the same inlay in the form of pebbles. Alternatively, a piece of rubber or plastic can be glued to the ladder. The main thing. so that the surface of the structure is rough. After all, otherwise, the reptile will not be able to get out of the water on a slippery plane.
It is not recommended to put your turtle into the aquarium immediately after completing the above work. It is necessary to allow all joints of the structure to dry out and harden. The reptile can be populated after several days. This time will be enough for the sealant to firmly adhere to the surfaces and evaporate the unpleasant chemical odor of the substance.
Ceramic tile island
You can make a turtle platform out of tiles. You can connect the material to the walls of the aquarium, as in the first case, using a sealant. It is recommended to use tiles with a textured surface. If desired, you can glue a piece of rubber onto the tile or make notches on the plane using a hammer and chisel.
How to make an island for a turtle with your own hands?
turtles at home requires a preliminary arrangement of the aquarium. The container not only needs to be filled with water, suitable substrate and plants. A small turtle island needs to be created. You can do it with your own hands using several ideas, which will be discussed in our article.
The main parameters of the product
The total land area should be 3-4 times the size of the turtle, it is also worth considering that it will grow.
The angle of inclination of the ladder in relation to a piece of land should be equal to 35-40 degrees so that the turtle is comfortable to climb on it.
The side surface of the glass, facing the front of the aquarium, should be at a distance of 2-3 cm from it, thus it will be possible to avoid a seam that distorts the appearance.
Necessary materials for creating an island with your own hands
How to make a turtle island
Making a preliminary layout from thick cardboard:
- We measure how the island should be in length and width
- We transfer the obtained data to cardboard, for convenience, you can write down the values on each side
- Cooking the same ladder blanks
If you create good living conditions for the turtle, then it will delight you for a long time.
We cut out glass according to individual dimensions on our own with the help of special tools or using the services of a glazier.
We glue the island and the ladder to obtain a single structure:
- We install two glasses on a hard, stable surface at the desired angle
- Fill the space between them with aquarium sealant
- Leave for a day until completely dry
We glue the structure inside the aquaterrarium:
Creating a Turtle Oasis for a Red Eared Slider!
- Liberally lubricate the edges with sealant, which should adhere to the aquarium.
- Press firmly and hold for 30-40 seconds
- Leave it to dry completely
Making a pet a cozy house with your own hands is not at all difficult
We glue the island with the selected coating:
- We disinfect and rinse thoroughly with running water
- Soak in soapy water for several hours
- Rinse again with running water
- Dry thoroughly
- Lubricate with sealant and glue the coating, snuggling tightly and holding
Islet for a red-eared turtle. how to do it yourself
In this article I will talk about what types of islands for turtles exist and how to make it yourself. Describing the necessary materials, parameters and sequence of actions, I will take into account all the details so that after studying the article you will not have any questions and you can independently make an island for a water red-eared turtle.
The materials for the island can be different, for example. bamboo sticks
The islands can be made from different materials and using different technologies, but they can still be divided into 2 large groups:
- Inside the aquarium
- Outside of it
Place the island so that the turtle cannot get out of the aquarium along it
They are the same in operation, however, when choosing between them, you need to pay attention to the volume of the contained water. For one reptile, it is necessary to calculate 100 liters of water, if it contains just this value, then it must be filled completely, and the island must be placed outside. If, however, 2 times or more exceeds the specified volume, then it can be filled in half and the island can be placed inside.
We have analyzed all aspects of self-construction of an island for a red-eared pet. The only thing left to pay attention to is the safety and reliability of the structure. Also, do not forget that the territory of the island must be illuminated by a UV lamp.