How to wash properly
Now let’s take a closer look at what stages the pet bathing procedure consists of:
- Prepare the bathroom. cover the bottom with a towel or rug. If you have a miniature pet (Yorkie, Pomeranian or Chihuahua), then it is better to bathe them not in a huge bathroom, but in a basin to reduce stress levels.
- Put your pet in a bathtub (or basin) and gently pour warm water (just warm, not hot). It is better to use a low-pressure shower. Be careful not to let water run into your ears.
- In a ratio of 1: 5, dilute the shampoo with water and pour it over the dog. So the shampoo will be evenly distributed throughout the coat, without concentrating in only one place (which is very likely when lathering).
- Lather your pet well and massage the fur.
- Rinse off the shampoo. You should be especially careful here, because if it remains in the folds of the skin, it can cause irritation and flaking, which means that all bathing will go down the drain. Therefore, make sure that the foam is completely washed away. If your dog has a lot of folds (like a pug or a Shar Pei), rinse all of them. Don’t be lazy, your tailed friend will be grateful to you.
- If your pet is afraid, talk to him affectionately and in no case raise your voice to him, otherwise you will only increase the level of stress.
- Gently remove the dog from the bath.
- Rub the dog thoroughly and release to dry. Usually, animals do this task pretty quickly on their own.
The role of water treatments
First, you need to determine what role bathing plays in your pet’s life. It should be said that often you have to bathe your dog out of necessity.
Next, we will look at the main situations when a dog needs to be washed:
- Hygiene. This situation is quite common. For example, if your pet walks in the mud, it is quite obvious that he needs to take a bath. You should not wait a few more months before the next wash, it is better to do it right away.
- Doctor’s recommendations. This is another condition in which you will need to wash your tailed friend. Due to the treatment of a number of diseases, your pet may need a shower, so if you have received such advice from a doctor, you can proceed with the procedure.
- Aesthetic considerations. After washing, the coat of the dog becomes smooth and shiny, so they are usually washed before different shows to make the pet look beautiful.
- Washing after haircut. After this procedure, the dog also needs to be thoroughly washed in order to get rid of the remnants of sheared hair, which can irritate the skin of the animal.
Bathing time and frequency
Many people wonder how often a dog needs to be bathed. As we have already said, animals do not particularly need bathing, apart from the above situations when it may be really necessary. The fact is that in dogs, sweating does not occur in the same way as in humans, so the smell of sweat does not come from them, and they need to be washed extremely rarely.
Now we will find out how many times a year you need to wash your dogs.
Usually these animals are bathed every six months (plus or minus a month). You should not be zealous and bathe them more often than necessary (unless circumstances require it), since this will only make your pets worse. In addition, the procedure may not be easy if your pet does not like water, so it’s better not to fool yourself once again.
Here you should focus on several important aspects.
Firstly, after bathing, you only need to thoroughly rub the animal with a dry towel.
There is no need to use any other method of drying wool, especially try to avoid a hair dryer. It will dry out the dog’s skin and coat and create additional irritation.
Secondly, it should be remembered that the pet will be able to take care of itself to dry out as quickly as possible. It will rub against carpets and furniture with wool, and thus dries faster.
The last aspect to consider: while drying the coat, do not let your pet go outside and do not let sit in a draft. Otherwise, he may well catch a cold and get sick. So it’s best to keep it warm until the coat is completely dry.
Check not only the top coat, but also the undercoat, and only when you are sure that your pet is completely dry, go for a walk.
What you need to prepare
To properly wash your dog, you need to consider the following points:
Best Tricks. How to Wash Your Dog without the Stress
- Choose a shampoo. Never wash your pet with your own shampoo. Before the advent of dog shampoos, these animals were washed with tar soap, but now you should use a special dog shampoo. It will not dry out the skin of the animal and will not irritate the dog with a variety of aromas.
- Place a towel or rubber mat in the bathroom. It is important for the animal to feel support under its feet, so it will be calmer if its paws do not slide on a wet bathtub.
- Clean towels. You will need one or two clean, dry towels to thoroughly grind your pet after bathing.
- Muzzle. If the animal bites (or there is such a possibility), then the procedure must be carried out after putting on a muzzle on the dog.
Features of bathing after walking
After a walk, it is imperative to wash your pet’s paws, because they often lick them, and it is not known what muck from the street can remain on them.
It can be various chemicals or excrement. For this, a shallow basin with warm (in autumn-spring) or cold (in winter) water is suitable. Rinse the feet thoroughly and dry with a towel.
Choosing means for washing, skin type matters
Remember the old pH 5.5 ad? Not everyone knows what this indicator really means. PH is the level of active hydrogen ions in a solution or liquid, which indicates its acidity. Normal dog skin pH 7.4 is drier, more sensitive, more susceptible to the harmful effects of cleaning agents. Few manufacturers indicate the pH level on the packaging, this is not surprising. the research technology is expensive, and production is even more expensive.
Important! If you are not sure about the harmlessness of the detergent, it is better to bathe the dog with clean water.!
It is almost impossible to get rid of foreign smell without the use of detergents. What to do if there is no special shampoo, and the pet has “perfumed” in the nearest heap of garbage? Can I wash my dog with baby shampoo?. In a catastrophic case, you can. It is desirable that the shampoo is intended for babies, contains lecithin or lanolin. If only soap is at hand, break a few yolks in water and use the prepared liquid as a rinse, massage the skin thoroughly and rinse.
Note! A tarnished coat or dandruff after bathing is a clear sign that the shampoo is not suitable for your dog.
Show dogs take a bath more often, to preserve the quality of the coat and color, you should use special products. White wool turns yellow from washing, a product with reflective particles will help. Brown or chocolate shades can be “freshened up” with a tinting conditioner, but the colorants should only be natural! Dogs with fine hair are shown a rinse agent based on animal fat, hairless pets are washed with special krmemi shampoos. The most severe case. allergic pets, the remedy is selected with a veterinarian and / or “trial method”.
Did you know? The main condition for choosing a shampoo is that it should not degrease. The ban on bathing dogs with high-quality human shampoo for dry hair is nothing more than a publicity stunt!
General rules for bathing
You will not find a recommendation in any cynological reference book. “be sure to bathe your dog once in”. Traditionally, pets are washed once every six months or a quarter, “careerists”, bathed before exhibitions, especially whimsical cleanliness 1 time in 7-10 days. Owners of large dogs should consider grooming services or a “support group”. It will be quite difficult for a miniature hostess girl to defeat a Rottweiler or a German Shepherd if she decides to resist. If you decide to wash your dog at home, you need to consider a few rules:
- An hour before bathing in an apartment or house, vents, doors and other sources of air flows must be tightly closed. A wet dog and a draft are incompatible!
- Be sure to bathe your dog with a collar and leash.
- Under no circumstances should water or shampoo get into your ears! Pets with cropped ears bathe in a “cap” or do not wash their hair. a simple but very important rule!
- In addition to tying the dog up, the floor of the bathtub must be completely covered with a sheet or blanket. If the pet breaks free, it may not hold on to wet paws and cause fractures.
- Be sure to put a muzzle on the dog if it bites or “sinned” with such actions before. It is advisable to use a nylon muzzle, this will save the owner from bruises, and the bathroom from destruction.
- Prepare an appropriate wardrobe. The dog will be cowardly, flooding everything around with water. this is normal. In a fit of emotions, the dog can begin to climb onto his hands, actively working with his claws. a long sleeve is required.
- Praise and cheer the dog while bathing, do not use brute force, generously reward the pet after the procedure.
- It will take a lot of towels! Based on the size of the dog, prepare 5-10 towels, your task is to wipe the dog until it is as dry as possible.
- Using a hair dryer is okay, but! Drying should be carried out at low power, with cold or slightly warm air. Do not scratch the coat while blow-drying! Drying your pet “like yourself” will cause serious harm to the dog’s skin.
- Walking is contraindicated for the dog for several hours after bathing. If your pet runs around the house. do not forbid, this is a natural way to maintain muscle tone and body temperature after getting wet.
Important! After bathing with shampoo, the coat while still wet should be slippery, like streaks after rinsing with conditioner. The composition of the shampoo should contain fatty acids, proteins and products that maintain dry skin.
In the autumn-spring period, the pet returns home with dirty paws, sometimes belly. A few rules on how to wash your dog after a walk:
- It does not matter what time of year you have a puppy, if you plan to wash your paws, teach your pet to this procedure from childhood.
- In autumn, washing with water at room temperature is allowed, in winter. only cold! Do you want to know why? Try to put frozen feet in a basin of hot water, feel the burning, tingling, pain and general discomfort, multiply it by 2. this is how your pet feels.
- Do not use deep containers, this will smooth out the moral aspect of washing. A small rectangular pelvis is suitable from which the dog can freely reach its paw.
When purchasing a puppy, think about the moment of bathing in advance and prepare the pet gradually. Many dogs bathe calmly when they are being hosed, and fluffy pets, if provided with conditions during the hot season, take a bath on their own. The pledge of whole paws, furnishing the house and the absence of abrasions from the owner. education from childhood.
Washing the dog without water is possible!
We discussed simple options, but what to do if bathing is contraindicated for a dog, how to wash a dog without water? There may be several reasons to think about it: bathing is contraindicated for older dogs due to the high probability of catching a cold, skin eczema progresses upon contact with water, healing wounds or seams must be protected from moisture. The easiest option is if the dog is dirty, how to wash it if it is afraid of water?
There is an exit! At first, resourceful women tried this method on themselves, then the idea was picked up by dog cosmetologists. Powder is used to clean wool, the main part is talc, auxiliary elements disinfect and disinfect the skin. The tool is available in cans in the manner of baby powder. The powder is spread over a small area, after which the coat is gently combed. It is important to comb the dog thoroughly before “bathing”, to remove excess undercoat and tangles. Such reading does not require additional procedures.
The dog smells like “dog”, what to do?
The so-called dog smell, brings discomfort not only to the owners, but also to the pets. A healthy dog does not smell, it is the key to survival in the wild. The appearance of a smell signals a violation of the standards of maintenance or the presence of a disease.
Attention! Never spray your dog with human deodorants or perfume! Such procedures are guaranteed to harm hair and skin! An odor that is too harsh and strong can completely deprive a dog of its sense of smell.
If the problems are cosmetic in nature, the root cause must be identified. In order not to smell like a dog, you must:
- Clean and wash your dog’s bedding at least every 14 days. Wet cleaning of the place and apartment at least once every 7 days. Pay attention to the dog’s reaction to the vacuum cleaner, if the pet is clearly scared, this can cause a special secret to be released, which only intensifies the smell.
- See if the odor intensifies when the dog is scared or nervous. stress can cause foul skin odors.
- Monitor the condition of your dog’s ears, especially in Fold breeds. Ears alone can exude an aroma that is enough for an entire apartment.
- Brush your dog thoroughly. The detached, but not combed out undercoat creates a “steam room” for the dog’s skin. Natural skin reaction. protection, release of additional sebum and secretions.
- Eliminate any junk food from your diet. If it helps, the dog is most likely allergic and its further should be corrected after consulting a doctor.
- If the odor is present but not particularly uncomfortable, dog deodorants can be used.
- The smell can be removed physically. wipe the dog’s hair (!) With a weak solution of vinegar and water. The procedure cannot be repeated more often than once a month.!
Caution! By masking the smell with deodorants and cosmetics, you run the risk of missing the symptoms of a possible disease.
Cosmetic procedures don’t help? Is the reaction to stress excluded? Is the smell getting worse or is the dog showing symptoms of discomfort?. without putting it off to the clinic! It is impossible to identify the physiological causes of extraneous odors without examination; a simple examination will also not help. Minimum program: blood tests, examination for renal and hepatic failure, testing for worms and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to prepare your dog for bathing
Washing in the shower or bath is not a daily routine for dog grooming, so the pet needs to be prepared for it. Follow a simple algorithm.
- Fill the bath with water, put a rug on the floor, turn off the air conditioner, close the vents so that there are no drafts.
- Bring your pet to the bathroom.
- Lock the door.
- Show water, you can wet your muzzle a little to avoid fear and stress.
- Gently say that you will wash now. Give a treat. Show toys.
- Comb the coat while it is still dry, remove tangles. If there are dried pieces of dirt, feces on the hair, remove them after getting wet.
- Cover the dog’s ears with cotton swabs to prevent water from getting inside.
- Submerge the animal in a washing container.
- If the dog resists, tries to run away, firmly stop it and order it to sit.
- You cannot shout, use physical force. This will scare the pet even more.
- Perform the procedure quickly and confidently. All the time you need to talk to the dog, give treats for obedience.
- After washing, drying, praise the pet, reward with a bone, a favorite treat.
Dog bathing kit: towels, basin, bathing products
It is best to train your pet to wash with shampoos and soap from an early age. Have a special ritual, a gesture that the dog will remember. It can be a snap of your fingers, a special toy for washing, a brush. At the sight of a familiar object, the dog himself will understand what will happen now.
If the dog is sick, pregnant, bathing is prohibited.
You can also bathe your pet for flea treatment. To do this, prepare not an ordinary, but a special insecticidal shampoo or tar soap.
Bathing water temperature
Separately, it should be said about the temperature of the water for bathing the dog. This question causes a lot of controversy among pet owners. Do not be guided by your own feelings and preferences. Remember that the body temperature in dogs is 37-38 ° C. If you bathe pets in water heated to these indicators, then the animals will receive a thermal burn.
Veterinarians advise washing dogs at home in water with temperatures up to 31-33 ° C. This is the most comfortable mode.
If your dog loves to swim in natural bodies of water (in a river, in a lake), beware of hypothermia. Do not allow your pet to get into the water if it has not warmed up to 17-18 ° С.
How to bathe in the bath
If the dog is very dirty and there is no other option besides your bath, wash your pet according to the instructions.
- Close the windows, doors in the house so that there are no drafts, the rooms are warm.
- Place a rubber mat on the bottom of the container to prevent the dog from slipping.
- Bring your pet to the room.
- Wear a muzzle if your dog is aggressive about washing.
- Turn off the tap. The noise of the water flowing into the bath annoys and frightens the animal.
- Encourage your dog to crawl into the bathroom with petting and treats.
- Gently pour over the dog from the bucket, thoroughly wet the coat all over the body. Ears, do not pour your face.
- Do not spray water abruptly on your pet, it may get scared. Aim the jet slowly.
- Lather the dog’s body with shampoo, rinse the coat.
- Wipe the anus with a napkin, sponge.
- Rinse your dog several times.
- For easy brushing, apply a balm or spray to the coat. Depending on the type of cosmetic product, it must be washed off or left on the hair until it dries completely.
- Blot the fur with a towel, squeeze out the water.
- Take the animal out of the bath, place it on the floor. Never leave your pet alone in the bathroom during or after bathing. It can unsuccessfully jump out of the container, slip, be injured.
- If the animal shakes itself off, step aside or do not scream from the spray.
- Carefully wipe your paws, otherwise the dogs will slip in the corridor, other rooms.
- Comb the coat and dry naturally, blow dry completely.
- You can go for a walk in 2-3 hours.
To prevent the dog from slipping after bathing on the tiles, cover the bathroom floor with old sheets or large towels.
Immediately after bathing, many dogs tremble, ask to be held, or begin to actively run around the apartment. This is normal. They need to keep warm. Perform drying procedures yourself to help your pet.
HOW to give a dog/puppy bath like a PROFESSIONAL at home. DOG grooming tips!
- Squeeze the coat with your hands without taking the dog out of the bath. Let me shake off.
- Blot the wool with a towel. For large dogs, a bath towel made of terry is suitable, for small dogs, for example, a Chinese crested, a waffle is enough.
- Wrap the animal in another, dry, towel and hold for 10-15 minutes. This will help keep the dog warm.
- In winter, use a hairdryer. If the pet does not become frightened and hysterical from the buzzing of the apparatus. Brush the coat gently and dry it at the most gentle temperature setting.
- Take a large comb and tidy up the dry coat. If you find tangles, carefully cut them out with scissors.
- For naked breeds, apply a moisturizing balm to the skin.
Immediately after bathing and drying, you cannot let the dog out into the street or balcony. Wait 1-2 hours for the leather and coat to dry completely.
How to bathe small breeds
Small dogs can be bathed in a basin or sink. The procedure is standard for all breeds, but small pets have to be washed more often. During walks, they collect more dirt on the wool due to their short stature.
Be sure to watch the ears of the animal during hygiene procedures. In small dogs, they are usually large, it is easier for water to get into the ear canals. Cover them with cotton balls, inspect and wipe after bath.
Calm your dog down regularly before, during and after bathing. Small breeds are especially nervous and need support.
Small breeds of dogs are more prone to colds, infections, so it is often undesirable to wash the whole body with shampoos. But paws, anus can be cleaned every day or several times a week.
The technology of self-washing dogs at home is quite simple, so you will have to spend money on going to the salon only for special occasions. The main thing is to thoroughly dry the dog after bathing, do not take it for a walk for several hours and monitor the condition of the coat daily. Then washing in the bathroom, under the shower will be a quick, safe procedure for the owner and the shaggy pet.
Depending on the season
In the autumn-spring periods, bathing with the use of cosmetics is carried out as needed, but not more often than once a week. In wet weather, the procedure is carried out with ordinary running water to wash off the dirt. Many pets wear special overalls that cover the entire body and part of the limbs. Such a measure will greatly facilitate grooming after a walk.
It is worth washing the dog in winter only if the coat is heavily soiled. After bathing, the pet is thoroughly dried. In regions where asphalt is treated with reagents, the dog must wash its paws after a walk. There are also various protective ointments that can be applied to the pads of the fingers before a planned walk. Special shoes for pets will protect against harmful substances, but not all animals can walk in them.
In the summer, the question is relevant: “Is it possible to bathe the dog in the heat?” Yes, in hot weather, the pet can be bathed in cool water, cooling primarily the paws and the back of the head. Such a measure will help the animal to cope with the increased air temperature. Long-haired breeds are combed out every day, if necessary, sheared.
How often can you wash your dog?
The opinion that a dog can be washed 1-2 times a year has long been outdated. Modern products used for bathing pets do not contain aggressive components that dry out the skin and thin the structure of the coat. However, without unnecessary need to bathe the animal is still not worth it.
- Hygienic. bathing the dog, in order to wash off the dirt, get rid of the specific smell, before the planned exhibitions. For this, conventional and professional animal shampoos are used.
- Medical. special medical shampoos are applied to the coat. With some pathologies, you can wash the dog with household or tar soap, but only after consulting a veterinarian. The procedure is carried out strictly according to the selected schedule. It is used in the treatment of fungal and parasitic skin diseases.
To understand how often a dog needs bathing, there are a number of factors to consider:
- Pet conditions: on the street or in an apartment.
- With apartment maintenance: is the animal allowed to sleep in a bed with the owner, climb on the sofa, etc.
- If a family member has an allergy, the animal needs to be washed more often to remove dandruff (once a week).
- How does a pet spend time during a walk: is it lying in the sand, running through puddles.
- Whether the pet suffers from itchy skin. In case of problems of atopic nature, the animal should be bathed once a week to reduce the risk of penetration of pathogenic substances through the skin.
What are the limitations for the procedure:
- After vaccination, the dog can only be washed after 10-14 days. This is due to the fact that if you wet the injection site, an unwanted reaction may develop. In addition, the pet’s immunity may be slightly weakened, which increases the risk of developing diseases.
- After operations (sterilization, castration, etc.), the animal cannot be washed until it is completely restored and the stitches are removed. Usually, the stitches are removed 2 weeks after surgery. After that, the procedure can be carried out in a couple of days, so that everything finally heals.
- It is better to refrain from bathing during heat. This is due to the fact that the reproductive system of the female during the estrus period is poorly protected and infection can be introduced. In addition, the behavior of the pet can change: she becomes agitated, sometimes aggressive.
- For any concomitant diseases (internal pathologies, skin irritations, etc.), bathing of the animal is not carried out until complete recovery.
How to properly wash your dog at home?
All dogs need extra care. Therefore, the owner needs to know how often the dog can be washed, and how to do it correctly? The procedure is carried out in the salon or at home, providing all the necessary conditions for this.
Before bathing an animal, it is important to familiarize yourself with some of the nuances: why it is impossible to wash the dog after vaccination, what are the hair care products and whether it is necessary to dry the pet after the procedure.
Depending on the breed
Coarse wool repels dirt better, so representatives of such breeds need bathing up to once a month (for example, Airedale, Scotch terrier). Pets with soft hair are washed once a week (Yorkshire Terrier, Maltese lapdog, miniature poodle).
The length and color of the coat and the density of the undercoat also affect. For short-haired breeds, the procedure is carried out as soon as it becomes dirty and a specific odor appears (once every 1-2 months and even less often). Representatives with long hair and thick undercoat are bathed 1-2 times a month if necessary. Particular attention is paid to thorough washing of downy hair.
Choosing a shampoo
- Many pet shampoos come in concentrated form and need to be diluted before being applied to the coat.
- Detergent cosmetic is chosen based on the characteristics of the coat of the animal breed.
- Pets of light colors are washed with special whitening cosmetics.
- So that the dog does not smell like a dog for washing, you can choose shampoos with flavors, if they do not cause allergic reactions and itching.
- Medical and antiparasitic shampoos are used only after consultation with a veterinarian and strictly according to the instructions.
A frequently asked question. is it possible to wash a dog with human shampoo? No, for each species of animals, they use the means intended strictly for them. This is due to the fact that the acid-base balance of human and dog skin is different. If you use your pet shampoo, the coat becomes thinner and may fall out, the skin becomes dry and flaky. It is also possible the appearance of acute allergic reactions due to the presence of aggressive components and fragrances in the composition.
- Prepare your swimming area in advance. The surface must be clean and non-slip. You can lay a special rubberized mat.
- Put all the necessary accessories in the access area: shampoo, brush, rubber mitten, balm.
- It is also advisable to set the water temperature in advance (up to 40 ° C) so as not to frighten the pet with excessive hot or cold pressure.
- Next to the bathing area, lay an old sheet or towel where you can move the animal after bathing. Also, prepare in advance the materials with which you will wipe wet wool.
How to properly wash your dog at home
Dogs can go without bathing for a long time. At the same time, four-legged friends have a passion for water, swimming with pleasure in the sea, lake or river. In young animals, the activity of the sebaceous glands is actively developed, as a result of which it disinfects the skin and cleanses the coat. Many dogs prefer to cleanse themselves by felting in carrion or debris, which causes owners to clutch their heads. Hence the need to wash at home. Like any other business, the procedure includes a number of features.
How to wash your dog
Washing your dog is considered to be quite complex and includes a number of aspects that need to be considered. Let’s consider the important features in order.
- First you need to prepare warm water (the optimal indicator is 40 degrees). The dog can be bathed in a basin or in a bath, in any case a lot of water will be required. Use a ladle or watering can to make it easier to wet the wool. Prepare towels, shampoo in advance.
- When preparation is complete, soak your dog’s coat with plenty of water. If you use animal shampoo for washing, apply it directly to the scalp, rubbing thoroughly.
- To make the procedure easier, dilute the shampoo with water to create a thick lather. Such a move will allow you to more thoroughly process the wool, in addition, the diluted composition is better washed off.
- The lather is applied all over the dog’s back and rubbed well into the coat. After that, the paws, tail, neck and belly are processed. The head is washed last, while it is important to ensure that the composition does not get into the ears and eyes.
- When washing, do not forget to clean the hair around the anus of the animal, wash the genitals. The procedure is performed only with warm (!) Water using shampoo.
- After shampoo is applied, soak it for about 3-5 minutes, then rinse with water. Next, you need to lather the wool a second time, withstand, rinse.
- Special attention is paid to rinsing with water. Start by removing the cleaner from the head, then from the back, neck and chest. When the water stops foaming, rinse your stomach and paws. Help yourself with your hands, crushing fur and pushing foam down.
- After washing off the shampoo, dry the dog. Absorb excess moisture with a terry cloth, change the wet towel dry as it soaks. After wiping, wrap the animal with a dry cloth, leave to dry completely.
- Optionally, you can use a hairdryer, setting a gentle temperature and low speed. If your dog is a show dog, it is very important to train him to dry and style with this device.
- Be sure to treat the hairline with a special conditioner balm. To use the product correctly, apply the gel to your palms, rub into the coat from length to tip. Wash off the composition after 5 minutes with warm water.
- The coat of short-haired dogs is wiped in a different way. Mix together 300 ml. warm water, 30 ml. vodka and 25 ml. table vinegar (concentration 6%). Moisten the composition with a sponge or cloth, squeeze, walk over the surface of the cutting element.
- To eliminate the doggy smell, wipe the pet’s fur with burdock or wormwood leaves. In addition to removing the stench, the hairline will become lush and shiny. However, you cannot use grass that grows along the road or track. It contains a lot of dirt and synthetic chemicals.
How to wash a dog without water
It is not uncommon for four-legged friends to swim in the usual way through the use of shampoo and water. Older animals can catch a cold, and in individuals with eczema, the disease develops many times faster.
Also, if the pet has recently undergone surgery, the stitches should not be allowed to come into contact with moisture. For simpler reasons, even adult dogs are hysterically afraid of water. In this case, there is only one thing left. dry bathing.
Experienced housewives, through trial and error, have developed an effective means of combating pollution. For the procedure, you need to purchase regular talcum powder (fragrance-free baby powder). Optionally, you can use the composition with chamomile, it perfectly disinfects the skin.
The technology of use is quite transparent: spread a large amount of the composition on the skin and wool, rub in the mixture for 10 minutes. Then comb the hair out with a comb and let the dog dust off. To facilitate the procedure, use a hair dryer (cold blowing), it will easily remove the remnants of the composition.
Washing a dog is a painstaking procedure, but every owner can do it. Choose the right shampoo, protect your pet’s eyes and ears, and prepare lots of towels. Eliminate drafts in the apartment, after washing, treat the wool with balsam or vinegar solution.
What diseases can be detected
When the coat gets wet, the owner can see the condition of the pet’s skin, so bathing is a good method for visual inspection for possible health problems.
Dandruff symptoms are itching, irritation, bald patches, small wounds on the skin. In this case, it is better to use products based on tar and salicylic acid. During bathing, fleas and lice are detected, as well as lichen. The danger of the latter is serious not only for a dog, but also for a person. Deprive must be treated by a veterinarian.
Why do you need to bathe periodically?
Dog owners know to keep their pets clean. This is not only a guarantee of health, but also comfort for a person, because everyone does not like the unpleasant smell of “dog”. It is advisable to bathe the dog after a long walk, as the coat quickly collects dust and dirt. Frequency of washing may vary by breed, dog activity, and dog show participation.
You can choose in advance the most suitable show in the CAC dog show schedule for 2021.
The frequency of bathing is once or twice a month. Do not wash your dog often, as this removes the grease that protects the skin from dryness and cracks. After daily walks, it is enough to wash your paws and wipe the coat with clean warm water to remove small dirt.
How to Bathe Your Dog : Dog Grooming
Bathing helps to keep the pet clean, get rid of an unpleasant odor, help the dog in hygiene, as well as maintain health, get rid of the appearance of possible skin diseases, parasites, lice.
Some dog breeds do not require frequent bathing. This procedure is able to wash away the natural oil that accumulates on the skin. He is a protective barrier.
Veterinarians and specialists note that if bathing is carried out correctly, the dog will be happy to take water procedures, and they will not harm her.
- It is important to ensure that no water gets into your ears and nose. Hold the head of the dog, it is advisable to lay the ears of the puppies with cotton wool.
- The water temperature should be comfortable, and the pressure of the jet is minimal.
- Puppies should be taught to water from six months.
- Do not bathe your dog while in heat.
- Do not use shampoos and other products intended for people for bathing pets.
- The shampoo is preliminarily dissolved in water, foamed, applied to the fur and skin.
- Rinse off thoroughly after the procedure, but not too hard to preserve body fat.
Frequent washing can lead to the appearance of an unpleasant odor, hair loss, wounds, and also provoke increased greasiness of the wool cover.
It will be more comfortable in the bath
In what container should I bathe my dog at home? It all depends on the size of the pet. Small dogs are bathed in a basin, and large ones are better in a bath. There should be no drafts in the room, and the air temperature is comfortable for staying. It is convenient to bathe your pet in a shallow shower tray. this does not form splashes and puddles. After bathing, wash the tray thoroughly. You can use special rubberized mats or liners both in the bathtub and in the tray during the procedure.
All of the above are good for pets. If the dog is kept in an aviary, for example, the Caucasian Shepherd Dog, then you can wash it right in the aviary, pouring it with a not very strong stream from a hose. In this case, it is better to use the help of another family member, since the dog is unlikely to be able to keep on its own.
If the pet is large in size, then bathe him in the bath. And in this case, it is better to use the help of another person. Experts also advise in this case to visit a salon where a similar service is provided. If you are in the country, it is allowed to water the dog with a hose if it is hot outside and the pressure is low. Self-bathing in reservoirs will also bring positive emotions to your pet.
If the dog is accustomed to the bath, then there are no problems with bathing.
How often should you do it
It was previously believed that it is not recommended to bathe pets frequently. The reason lay in the fact that there was a minimum of proposals for special shampoos on the market. The owners were practically not offered products for the care of the hair of cats and dogs. Water procedures were performed, as a rule, using human cosmetics.
You can wash your dog in a basin outdoors
But as soon as various dog care products appeared, veterinarians began to argue that the pet should be washed as needed.
The number of times depends on the breed of the dog and the specifics of the coat (length, density), as well as the conditions of detention. On average, a dog should be washed one to four times a month.
If the dog lives on the street in a booth, then the main bathing is not required, in this case, you can wash the pet twice a month or as it gets dirty. If we are talking about a domestic resident, then he is washed more often.
Do not forget about hygiene after a walk. Water procedures also depend on the season. In summer, washing is not recommended or should be done rarely. Frequency of washing increases in spring and autumn, when it is slushy and dirty outside. theoretically, you can’t bathe a dog in winter, or, let’s say, you need to do this only in extreme cases.
Dog breeds with long hair, such as the Pomeranian, Oirazier, or Keeshond, or Lesser German Spitz, or Italian lapdog, need careful grooming and frequent washing. Decorative breeds do not need water treatments, only in rare cases. It is advisable to bathe dogs with a specific smell of wool once a month, but not more often.
But breeds such as the Japanese Spitz do not have any unpleasant odors, so there is no need for frequent bathing. Their wool has such a structure that it repels any dirt itself.
Healthy puppies are vaccinated at about two months, but it is not always possible to wash babies at this age. it depends on the breed. It is advisable to teach the Yorkshire Terrier to water at the age of two months, and, for example, the Norwich Terrier at six months. Bathing is not recommended unless the coat is heavily soiled. Do not bathe puppies before vaccination.
Veterinarians advise against bathing your dog immediately after vaccination. The reason for this lies in a decrease in the pet’s immunity, that is, due to the introduction of strains of viruses and microbes into the body. The rule is very simple. you cannot bathe your dog for two weeks after vaccination! Depending on the breed, the behavior and well-being of the dog after vaccination changes: appetite may decrease, lethargy appear. Water treatments can provoke a cold. If your dog or puppy gets dirty, you can clean the coat with a comb and wet wipes.
Watch an interesting and very useful video on how to properly wash your dog in the bathroom.
Hygiene is always necessary for a four-legged friend. The main thing to remember is at what periods of life water procedures should be reduced, increased or completely eliminated. During estrus, the dog has increased urination, accompanied by an unpleasant odor. Therefore, owners must keep the pet clean to avoid infections and inflammation. After bathing the dog during estrus, hypothermia should not be allowed. It is recommended to put on special pants that absorb secretions on the pet, as well as constantly change the bedding.
The dog is washed during estrus with a special shampoo, which may include lanolin, egg yolk and lecithin. During pregnancy, water treatments should be limited or completely excluded. You cannot bathe a pet with a big belly, but if there is an urgent need, they do it as carefully as possible in a warm room without drafts.
It is also not recommended to bathe a dog that has recently been born. This can be done a week after giving birth without using shampoo. After bathing, the pet must be dried before returning to the puppies. Castration is also a contraindication for bathing. Water treatments are allowed a few weeks after the suture has healed.