Dog smell. how to get rid of it
An unpleasant dog smell may appear due to violations of maintenance standards or malfunctions in the body. A healthy dog does not stink.
- carrying out wet cleaning in the house every 7 days;
- washing dog beds;
- ear cleaning in lop-eared breeds;
- elimination of junk food from the dog’s diet;
- using deodorants for dogs;
- cleaning the pet under the tail;
- rubbing wool with a weak solution of water and vinegar once a month;
- teeth cleaning with special brushes and pastes.
All of these methods are best applied in a complex manner, not hoping for the effectiveness of only one of them.
Important! Do not use human deodorants and perfumes to combat dog odor.
How to wash your dog properly at home
Any dog needs hygiene procedures. They are carried out as needed or as scheduled. However, not all pets enjoy swimming, some are simply afraid of water. The owner must know how to properly wash the dog so that it does not get stressed. This is especially true for novice dog breeders.
Why do you need to bathe your dogs periodically?
Bathing is a healthy procedure for your pet, which prevents possible skin diseases, lice and other parasites. It will also help get rid of the unpleasant smell of the animal, which can irritate some people.
Washing the dog is necessary after a long walk in the evening, as dust and dirt instantly accumulate in the coat. The pet is usually washed in autumn or spring, when it is very dirty outside. The frequency of washing an animal depends on a number of conditions:
- participation in exhibitions.
Usually, the dog is bathed no more than 1-2 times a month, regardless of whether it is a Chihuahua, Spitz, Husky or other breed. After each walk, it will be enough to wipe the pet’s paws and clean the dirty areas of the coat with a damp, clean cloth to remove minor dirt.
How to Bathe Your Dog : Dog Grooming
Before exhibition events, a fluffy pet is thoroughly washed, its fur coat is combed out, giving it an aesthetic appearance. Longhaired breeds with soft coats are washed a little more often than shorthaired breeds. It is equally important to bathe the animal 2 days before the upcoming haircut. It will look beautiful on well-groomed clean wool and the pet will not smell unpleasant.
Important! The veterinarian may prescribe a pet suffering from a fungal infection, bathing using special agents that have a healing effect.
At what age can you bathe
Experts recommend starting to wash your pet for the first time at the age of three months. However, not everything is so simple. There are many factors that determine when and how to wash your puppy. As a rule, the mother licks the newborn puppy. If it is not there, then in this case, you can wipe the baby with a damp cloth.
A small pet could initially live on the street. If this is the case, then, regardless of age, it is better to wash it and, if necessary, use an anti-flea drug. Otherwise, together with the puppy, infectious diseases will enter the house.
Puppies are usually purchased from breeders at the age of 3 months. The acquired pet must first get used to the new place of residence. To do this, he will need at least 2 weeks. After this period, you can start the first bath.
How to wash properly at home
Every dog owner should know how to wash a dog without harming it. First, you need to draw warm water into the bath, the temperature of which should not exceed 40 degrees. You need to prepare towels, hygiene products and a comb in advance.
Step-by-step diagram of how to bathe a dog in the bathroom:
- Wet the body except for the head and groin area.
- Dilute shampoo with water to form a dense foam. Thoroughly rub the lather into the coat over the entire back, and then treat it on the paws, tail, neck and abdomen. After that, you can lather the dog’s head, trying to prevent the composition from getting into the ears and eyes.
- Maintain the soap composition for 3-5 minutes, and then rinse it off with clean water. Lather the wool one more time and rinse again. Completely remove the cleaner from the head, then back, neck and sternum.
- Dry the dog with a microfiber towel.
Comb out the bathed animal with a comb.
Important! You can put cotton swabs in your pet’s ears. This will help prevent water from getting inside. This is done before bathing the dog.
How can you wash your dog
The wrong choice of detergent for your dog can cause deterioration of the coat, dermatitis, eczema and dermatosis. Therefore, it is equally important to know how to wash your dog. Human shampoo is not suitable for a dog, since the skin of an animal is different from the human epidermis. You should not use laundry soap and various folk remedies, so as not to spoil the skin of the pet.
The pet is washed with special products for dogs. List of ways to wash your dog:
- cosmetic shampoos and liquid soaps that remove impurities and are suitable for frequent use;
- hypoallergenic shampoos for pets suffering from allergies to cosmetics;
- medicated shampoos against fleas, ticks, fungus and bacteria as prescribed by a doctor;
- tar soap to repel parasites.
Important! After using tar soap, you will have to face an unpleasant odor. It will wear off only after 2-3 hours.
Why you shouldn’t wash your dog too often
Bathing your dog too often is not recommended. Otherwise, the animal’s natural grease will disappear, which protects the skin from cracking and dryness. In a short period of time between bathing, the fatty film is not able to recover.
HOW to give a dog/puppy bath like a PROFESSIONAL at home. DOG grooming tips!
Frequent bathing of your pet using special detergents is especially harmful. The dog may experience itching and an allergic reaction.
- the appearance of wounds and combs;
- rapid hair loss;
- making more fat.
Important! The dog is much more likely to lie in the grass or in the ground, trying to regain its natural smell after swimming.
How to wash a dog if he is afraid
To prevent your dog from experiencing fear of water, you must follow the following guidelines:
- To teach to water from childhood by rubbing wool with a damp sponge.
- Treat with your favorite treat or give a toy before and after washing.
- Iron, praise and speak to her in a calm voice while washing.
- Make the water pressure not very strong, gradually increase as needed.
All of the above must also be considered before washing your dog in the bath. Over time, she will cease to be afraid of water procedures.
How to wash a dog correctly and whether it is necessary to do it at all at home
Domestic dogs sometimes have to be washed. For example, they can get dirty while walking, roll around in mud or debris. Before participating in an exhibition, it is imperative to put the animal’s fur in order. In addition, pets are bathed to get rid of the unpleasant odor. This procedure is simple, anyone, even a novice owner, can handle it, but it is important to know a few simple rules and adhere to them. So, today we’ll talk about how to wash your dog properly at home.
For bathing, use a nylon muzzle and collar. Other materials will swell in water and damage the skin.
Don’t wash your dog too often. After a normal walk, you just need to wipe your paws with a damp cloth or wash them in a basin right in the hallway.
In the heat, there are no restrictions on the number of baths, as much as you like, but in cool water and without shampoo. Then there will be no harm, but only relief for the dog suffering from heat.
Start teaching your puppy to bathe around two months of age. Gradually, he will get used to the procedure and will not be afraid of it. You can start after the first vaccination and the past incubation period.
To dry the coat of a long-haired breed, you can use a hairdryer. Never set the temperature too high. In addition, do not brush the dog during blow-drying.
It is not recommended to use tar and laundry soap for washing a pet under any conditions.
After bathing, you cannot immediately go for a walk or make drafts. If your pet decides to run around the apartment, do not forbid, most likely he wants to keep warm in this way.
Features of washing a dog
We wash my dog only in warm water, the optimum temperature is about 40 °. It is inadmissible to use hot water. If your pet needs bathing after a winter walk, the water should generally be cool. A sudden change in temperature will lead to unpleasant sensations and the formation of cracks in the pads.
The skin of animals is drier than that of humans. The use of human shampoos can cause itching, irritation, and allergies. Use only special dog shampoos. A good product will include lecithin, egg yolk, lanolin.
In some situations, it can be difficult to bathe the dog. Older animals can easily catch colds, while young ones are often afraid of the shower. In addition, contact with water should be avoided after surgery, during estrus or after childbirth. In this case, dry shampoo. a special powder based on talcum powder. will come to the rescue. It must be generously distributed over the coat, and then carefully comb the pet. Before the procedure, remove all “tangles” so as not to injure the skin.
If you are carrying out full-fledged water procedures, prepare everything you need in advance. In addition to detergents, you will need:
- Collar and leash to support your dog while bathing. For large breeds, a muzzle is useful.
- Washcloth, sponge, rubber brush. They are easier to distribute foam.
- Small bowl to dilute the shampoo in.
- Towels. Depending on the breed, you will need 5-10 large towels.
- Shower head or ladle to wet wool.
- A delicacy and favorite toy. When washing, the dog can be stressed. Her favorite treat and toy will help her calm down and be patient until the end of the procedure.
Some rules for bathing dogs
Close all windows and turn off the air conditioner before you bathe to prevent your pet from catching a cold. The bathroom should be warm. Place a rubber mat or towel on the bottom of the tub. If the dog gets scared and wants to run away, he should not slip. Hold her by the collar while washing. Can be attached to the mixer tap.
Wear practical, long-sleeved clothing. After bathing, the dog will definitely want to dust it off, be prepared to get wet. Long sleeve will keep you from claws and teeth at least a little.
Calmly invite your dog into the bath, do not yell or scold your pet. Offer him a treat so that the bath procedures are associated with something pleasant.
Use a hat to cover your dog’s ears. It is better not to wash your hair at all, but only to wipe it with a damp cloth.
Start bathing from the neck, back, smoothly moving to the belly, paws and tail. First wet the coat liberally, then apply the previously dissolved shampoo evenly. Whip up a copious lather, apply to the coat, then massage and leave for a few minutes. Rinse off the foam gently, starting from the back. Make sure the shampoo is completely rinsed off and the water drains off the coat absolutely clean. Use a balm or conditioner. They also need to be thoroughly washed off.
After washing, gently squeeze the coat with your hands, then wrap the dog in towels. Change them until the coat is completely dry.
Follow these simple rules and then bath procedures will not harm your pet. Dogs trained since childhood, as a rule, love bathing very much and take it with joy. Well, and the simplest advice: the main thing in communicating with a pet is a kind and caring attitude towards it.
articles on this topic
Tar soap is traditionally considered as a natural and safe alternative to modern insecticidal preparations for getting rid of fleas for dogs. Read more here
Bathing is the easiest way to keep your pet clean. But how often can you wash your dog and won’t constant washing hurt him? Read more here
During estrus, a characteristic discharge begins from the dog’s loop, which can cause some inconvenience. Then the question arises, is it possible to bathe an animal and how to do it correctly? Read more here
Can I bathe my dog after vaccination? It is highly undesirable and here’s why. After vaccination, the dog’s immunity is weakened by strains of microbes or viruses introduced into the body. Read more here
Laundry soap is a wonderful thing. Actually, only it can be called a real soap, since there are no additives or fragrances in it at all. Read more here
In order to maintain hygiene, it is necessary to bathe the puppy with special shampoos, which are divided into several categories. Read more here
Here you should focus on several important aspects.
Firstly, after bathing, you only need to thoroughly rub the animal with a dry towel.
There is no need to use any other method of drying wool, especially try to avoid a hair dryer. It will dry out your dog’s skin and coat and create additional irritation.
Secondly, it should be remembered that the pet will be able to take care of itself to dry out as quickly as possible. It will rub against carpets and furniture with wool, and thus dries faster.
The last aspect to consider: while drying the coat, do not let your pet out and do not let sit in a draft. Otherwise, he may well catch a cold and get sick. So it’s best to keep it warm until the coat is completely dry.
Check not only the top coat, but also the undercoat, and only when you are sure that your pet is completely dry, go for a walk.
How to prepare and wash your dog at home
What you need to prepare
To properly wash your dog, you need to consider the following points:
- Choose a shampoo. Never wash your pet with your own shampoo. Before the advent of dog shampoos, these animals were washed with tar soap, but now you should use a special dog shampoo. It will not dry out the skin of the animal and will not irritate the dog with a variety of aromas.
- Place a towel or rubber mat in the bathroom. It is important for the animal to feel support under the feet, so it will be calmer if its paws do not slide on the wet bathtub.
- Clean towels. You will need one or two clean, dry towels to rub your pet well after bathing.
- Muzzle. If the animal bites (or there is such a possibility), then the procedure must be carried out, after putting on a muzzle on the dog.
Bathing time and frequency
Many people wonder how often a dog needs to be bathed. As we have already said, animals do not particularly need bathing, apart from the above situations when it may be really necessary. The fact is that in dogs, sweating does not occur in the same way as in humans, so the smell of sweat does not come from them, and they need to be washed extremely rarely.
Now we will find out how many times a year you need to wash dogs.
Usually these animals are bathed every six months (plus or minus a month). You should not be zealous and bathe them more often than necessary (unless circumstances require it), since this will only make your pets worse. In addition, the procedure may not be easy if your pet does not like water, so it’s better not to fool yourself once again.
How to wash properly
Now let’s take a closer look at what stages the pet bathing procedure consists of:
- Prepare the bathroom. cover the bottom with a towel or rug. If you have a miniature pet (Yorkie, Pomeranian or Chihuahua), then it is better to bathe them not in a huge bathroom, but in a basin to reduce stress levels.
- Put your pet in a bath (or basin) and gently pour warm water (just warm, not hot). It is better to use a low-pressure shower. Be careful not to let water run into your ears.
- In a ratio of 1: 5, dilute the shampoo with water and pour it over the dog. This will distribute the shampoo evenly throughout the coat, without concentrating in only one place (which is very likely when soaping).
- Lather your pet well and massage the fur.
- Rinse off the shampoo. You should be especially careful here, because if it remains in the folds of the skin, it can cause irritation and flaking, which means that all bathing will go down the drain. Therefore, make sure that the foam is completely washed away. If your dog has a lot of folds (like a pug or a Shar Pei), rinse all of them. Don’t be lazy, your tailed friend will be grateful to you.
- If your pet is afraid, talk to him affectionately and in no case raise your voice to him, otherwise you will only increase the level of stress.
- Gently remove the dog from the bath.
- Rub the dog thoroughly and release to dry. Usually, animals do this task pretty quickly on their own.
The role of water treatments
First, you need to determine what role bathing plays in your pet’s life. It should be said that often you have to bathe your dog out of necessity.
Next, we’ll look at the main situations when a dog needs to be washed:
- Hygiene. This situation is quite common. For example, if your pet walks in the mud, it is quite obvious that he needs to take a bath. You should not wait a few more months before the next wash, it is better to do it right away.
- Doctor’s recommendations. This is another condition in which you will need to wash your tailed friend. Due to the treatment of a number of diseases, your pet may need a shower, so if you have received such advice from a doctor, you can proceed with the procedure.
- Aesthetic considerations. After washing, the coat of the dog becomes smooth and shiny, so they are usually washed before different shows to make the pet look beautiful.
- Washing after haircut. After this procedure, the dog must also be thoroughly washed in order to get rid of the remnants of sheared hair, which can irritate the skin of the animal.
Features of bathing after walking
After a walk, it is imperative to wash your pet’s paws, because they often lick them, and it is not known what muck from the street can remain on them.
It can be various chemicals or excrement. For this, a shallow basin with warm (in autumn-spring) or cold (in winter) water is suitable. Rinse the feet thoroughly and dry with a towel.
General rules for bathing
You will not find a recommendation in any cynological reference book. “be sure to bathe your dog once in.”. Traditionally, pets are washed once every six months or a quarter, “careerists”, bathed before exhibitions, especially whimsical cleanliness 1 time in 7-10 days. Owners of large dogs should consider grooming services or a “support group”. It will be quite difficult for a miniature hostess girl to defeat a Rottweiler or a German Shepherd if she decides to resist. If you decide to wash your dog at home, you need to consider a few rules:
- An hour before swimming in an apartment or house, vents, doors and other sources of air flows must be tightly closed. A wet dog and a draft are incompatible!
- Be sure to bathe your dog with a collar and leash.
- Under no circumstances should water or shampoo get into your ears! Pets with cropped ears bathe in a “cap” or do not wash their hair. a simple but very important rule!
- In addition to tying the dog up, the floor of the bathtub must be completely covered with a sheet or blanket. If the pet breaks free, it may not hold on to wet paws and cause fractures.
- Be sure to put a muzzle on the dog if it bites or “sinned” by such actions before. It is advisable to use a nylon muzzle, this will save the owner from bruises, and the bathroom from destruction.
- Prepare an appropriate wardrobe. The dog will be cowardly, flooding everything around with water. this is normal. In a fit of emotions, the dog can begin to climb onto his hands, actively working with his claws. a long sleeve is required.
- Praise and cheer the dog while bathing, do not use brute force, generously reward the pet after the procedure.
- It will take a lot of towels! Based on the size of the dog, prepare 5-10 towels, your task is to wipe the dog until it is as dry as possible.
- Using a hair dryer is okay, but! Drying should be carried out at low power, with cold or slightly warm air. Do not scratch the coat while blow-drying! Drying your pet “like yourself” will cause serious harm to your dog’s skin.
- Walking is contraindicated for the dog for several hours after bathing. If your pet runs around the house. do not forbid, this is a natural way to maintain muscle tone and body temperature after getting wet.
Important! After bathing with shampoo, the coat while still wet should be slippery, like streaks after rinsing with conditioner. The composition of the shampoo should contain fatty acids, proteins and products that maintain dry skin.
In the autumn-spring period, the pet returns home with dirty paws, sometimes belly. A few rules on how to wash your dog after a walk:
- It does not matter what time of year you have a puppy, if you plan to wash your paws, teach your pet to this procedure from childhood.
- In autumn, washing with water at room temperature is allowed, in winter. only with cold water! Do you want to know why? Try to put frozen feet in a basin of hot water, feel the burning, tingling, pain and general discomfort, multiply it by 2. this is how your pet feels.
- Do not use deep containers, this will smooth out the moral aspect of washing. A small rectangular pelvis is suitable from which the dog can freely reach its paw.
When purchasing a puppy, think about the moment of bathing in advance and prepare the pet gradually. Many dogs bathe calmly when they are hosed, and fluffy pets, if provided with conditions during the hot season, take a bath on their own. The pledge of whole paws, furnishing the house and the absence of abrasions from the owner. education from childhood.
Washing the dog without water is possible!
We discussed simple options, but what to do if bathing is contraindicated for a dog, how to wash a dog without water? There may be several reasons to think about it: bathing is contraindicated for older dogs due to the high probability of catching a cold, skin eczema progresses upon contact with water, healing wounds or seams must be protected from moisture. The easiest option is if the dog is dirty, how to wash it if it is afraid of water?
There is an exit! At first, resourceful women tried this method on themselves, after that the idea was picked up by dog cosmetologists. Powder is used to clean wool, the main part is talc, auxiliary elements disinfect and disinfect the skin. The tool is available in cans in the manner of baby powder. The powder is spread over a small area, after which the coat is gently combed. It is important to comb the dog thoroughly before “bathing”, to remove excess undercoat and tangles. Such reading does not require additional procedures.
Choosing means for washing, skin type matters
Remember the old pH 5.5 ad? Not everyone knows what this indicator really means. PH is the level of active hydrogen ions in a solution or liquid, which indicates its acidity. Normal dog skin pH 7.4 is drier, more sensitive, more susceptible to the harmful effects of cleaning agents. Few manufacturers indicate the pH level on the packaging, this is not surprising. the research technology is expensive, and production is even more expensive.
Important! If you are not sure about the harmlessness of the detergent, it is better to bathe the dog with clean water.!
It is almost impossible to get rid of foreign smell without the use of detergents. What to do if there is no special shampoo, and the pet has “perfumed” in the nearest heap of garbage? Can I wash my dog with baby shampoo? In a catastrophic case, you can. It is desirable that the shampoo is intended for babies, contains lecithin or lanolin. If you only have soap at hand, break a few yolks in water and use the prepared liquid as a rinse, massage the skin thoroughly and rinse.
Note! A tarnished coat or dandruff after bathing is a clear sign that the shampoo is not suitable for your dog.
Show dogs take a bath more often, to preserve the quality of the coat and color, you should use special products. White wool turns yellow from washing, a product with reflective particles will help. Brown or chocolate shades can be “freshened up” with a tinting conditioner, but the colors should only be natural! Dogs with fine hair are shown a rinse agent based on animal fat, hairless pets are washed with special shampoos-krmemi. The most severe case. allergic pets, the remedy is selected with a veterinarian and / or “trial method”.
Did you know? The main condition for choosing a shampoo is that it should not degrease. The ban on bathing dogs with high-quality human shampoo for dry hair is nothing more than a publicity stunt!
How to wash a dog. rules and hygiene products
The dog smells like “dog”, what to do?
The so-called dog smell, brings discomfort not only to the owners, but also to the pets. A healthy dog does not smell, it is the key to survival in the wild. The appearance of a smell signals a violation of the standards of maintenance or the presence of a disease.
Attention! Never spray your dog with human deodorants or perfume! Such procedures are guaranteed to harm hair and skin! An odor that is too harsh and strong can completely deprive a dog of its sense of smell.
If the problems are cosmetic in nature, the root cause must be identified. In order not to smell like a dog, you need:
- Clean and wash your dog’s bedding at least every 14 days. Wet cleaning of the place and apartment at least once every 7 days. Pay attention to the dog’s reaction to the vacuum cleaner, if the pet is clearly scared, this can cause a special secret to be released, which only intensifies the smell.
- See if the odor intensifies when the dog is scared or nervous. stress can cause foul skin odor.
- Monitor the condition of your dog’s ears, especially in Fold breeds. Ears alone can exude a scent that is enough for an entire apartment.
- Brush your dog thoroughly. The detached, but not combed out undercoat creates a “steam room” for the dog’s skin. Natural skin reaction. protection, release of additional sebum and secretions.
- Eliminate any junk food from your diet. If it helps, the dog is most likely allergic and its further should be corrected after consulting a doctor.
- If the odor is present but not particularly uncomfortable, dog deodorants can be used.
- The smell can be removed physically. wipe the dog’s hair (!) With a weak solution of vinegar and water. The procedure cannot be repeated more often than once a month.!
Caution! By masking the smell with deodorants and cosmetics, you run the risk of missing the symptoms of a possible disease.
Cosmetic procedures don’t help? Is it possible to react to stress? Is the smell getting worse or is the dog showing symptoms of discomfort? without putting it off to the clinic! It is impossible to identify the physiological causes of extraneous odors without examination; a simple examination will also not help. Minimum program: blood tests, examination for renal and hepatic failure, testing for worms and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Leaving after a walk
At any time of the year, the dog returns from the street with dirty paws. Teach puppies to paw washing from 3-4 months. Buy a small basin, place it in front of the entrance. Rinse the dog’s limbs immediately after the street, pay special attention to the spaces between the fingers, pillows.
If the dog cannot wash after surgery or due to illness, use dry bathing. The effect of this hygiene method will not last long, but it can be repeated an infinite number of times. Take baby or regular talcum powder. Apply to the coat, rub in for 10-15 minutes, then comb out the product along with the dirt. You can use the cold air of a hair dryer.
If the dog smells bad, and is afraid to wash, wipe the coat 2-3 times a month with a weak solution of vinegar.
How to bathe in the bath
If the dog is very dirty and there is no other option besides your bath, wash your pet according to the instructions.
- Close the windows, doors in the house so that there are no drafts, the rooms are warm.
- Place a rubber mat on the bottom of the container to prevent the dog from slipping.
- Bring your pet to the room.
- Wear a muzzle if your dog is aggressive about washing.
- Turn off the tap. The noise of the water flowing into the bath annoys and frightens the animal.
- Encourage your dog to crawl into the bathroom with petting and treats.
- Gently pour over the dog from the bucket, thoroughly wet the coat all over the body. Ears, do not pour your face.
- Do not spray water abruptly on your pet, it may get scared. Aim the jet slowly.
- Lather the dog’s body with shampoo, rinse the coat.
- Wipe the anus with a napkin, sponge.
- Rinse your dog several times.
- For easy brushing, apply a balm or spray to the coat. Depending on the type of cosmetic product, it must be washed off or left on the hair until it dries completely.
- Blot the fur with a towel, squeeze out the water.
- Take the animal out of the bath, place it on the floor. Never leave your pet alone in the bathroom during or after bathing. It can unsuccessfully jump out of the container, slip, be injured.
- If the animal shakes itself off, step aside or do not scream from the spray.
- Carefully wipe your paws, otherwise the dogs will slip in the corridor, other rooms.
- Comb the coat and dry naturally, blow dry completely.
- You can go for a walk in 2-3 hours.
To prevent the dog from slipping after bathing on the tiles, cover the bathroom floor with old sheets or large towels.
Immediately after bathing, many dogs tremble, ask to be held, or begin to actively run around the apartment. This is normal. They need to keep warm. Perform drying procedures yourself to help your pet.
- Squeeze the coat with your hands without taking the dog out of the bath. Let me shake off.
- Blot the wool with a towel. For large dogs, a bath towel made of terry is suitable, for small dogs, for example, a Chinese crested, a waffle is enough.
- Wrap the animal in another, dry, towel and hold for 10-15 minutes. This will help keep the dog warm.
- Use a hairdryer in winter. If the pet does not become frightened and hysterical from the buzzing of the apparatus. Brush the coat gently and dry it at the most gentle temperature setting.
- Take a large comb and tidy up the dry coat. If you find tangles, carefully cut them out with scissors.
- For naked breeds, apply a moisturizing balm to the skin.
Immediately after bathing and drying, you cannot let the dog out into the street or balcony. Wait 1-2 hours for the leather and coat to dry completely.
How to prepare your dog for bathing
Washing in the shower or bath is not a daily routine for dog grooming, so the pet needs to be prepared for it. Follow a simple algorithm.
- Fill the bath with water, put a rug on the floor, turn off the air conditioner, close the vents so that there are no drafts.
- Take your pet to the bathroom.
- Lock the door.
- Show water, you can moisten your muzzle a little to avoid fear and stress.
- Gently say that you will wash now. Give a treat. Show toys.
- Comb the coat while it is still dry, remove tangles. If there are dried pieces of dirt, feces on the hair, remove them after getting wet.
- Cover the dog’s ears with cotton swabs to prevent water from getting inside.
- Submerge the animal in a washing container.
- If the dog resists, tries to run away, firmly stop it and order it to sit.
- You cannot shout, use physical force. This will scare the pet even more.
- Perform the procedure quickly and confidently. All the time you need to talk to the dog, give treats for obedience.
- After washing, drying, praise the pet, reward with a bone, a favorite treat.
Dog bathing kit: towels, basin, bathing products
It is best to teach your pet to wash with shampoos and soap from an early age. Have a special ritual, a gesture that the dog will remember. It can be a snap of your fingers, a special toy for washing, a brush. At the sight of a familiar object, the dog himself will understand what will happen now.
If the dog is sick, pregnant, bathing is prohibited.
You can also bathe your pet for flea treatment. To do this, prepare not an ordinary, but a special insecticidal shampoo or tar soap.
The shower stall is more suitable for washing small dogs, but large dogs can also be gently bathed in a watering can.
- Place an anti-slip rubber mat on the floor.
- Drain the water and check its temperature. You feel it should be slightly cool.
- Pour water over the top of your pet. Do not direct the jet at the head, groin or armpits. Pour water from head to tail.
- Lather the dog with shampoo. For better lather, dilute it with water.
- Massage the coat, pay special attention to the paws.
- Rinse all the foam out of the watering can.
- Rinse the coat several times if the dirt is heavy.
- Wet a rag or sponge, wipe the dog’s face.
- Bathing is complete, you can wring out the coat and dry your pet with a towel.
Use shower more often in summer. In winter, such a procedure is dangerous: it is easier to catch a cold under the stream.
If we talk about hygiene procedures, then after a walk or a haircut, it is correct to bathe the dog not in the bathroom, where the children will wash, but in the basin. For medium to small breeds, buy a large plastic container or a slide bath for babies. Bathe large dogs on the street in the summer from the shower or in the shared bathroom.
The dogs are washed about once a month using shampoo and other detergents. But watch as you get dirty. If the animal is very dirty before or smells bad from it, then you can bathe several times a month.
Tools and tools
Prepare a bath set for an animal in advance, place it in the bathroom in accessible places. In order to wash your dog at home you will need.
- Rubber mat. It needs to be placed on the bottom of the bathtub so that the dog does not slip.
- A pair of large towels. With one, dry the dog immediately after washing, with the other dry the coat completely.
- A large rag or another towel. If you are bathing a large shaggy dog, you need to lay the floor in the bathroom to prevent splashing water.
- Shampoos, balms, soaps for hair care.
- Brushes for combing.
- Hair Dryer & Tangle Spray.
Don’t forget to take care of your ammunition. Wear a long-sleeved shirt and pants. The clothing will protect against water, loose hair and scratches. If your dog is aggressive about water treatment, wear a muzzle to avoid bruising and teeth bite wounds.
It is impossible to use “human” shampoos and balms for washing dogs. They can cause allergies and dermatitis in animals. Buy special dog cleaners.
Bathing water temperature
Separately, it should be said about the temperature of the water for bathing the dog. This question causes a lot of controversy among pet owners. Do not be guided by your own feelings and preferences. Remember that the body temperature in dogs is 37-38 ° C. If you bathe pets in water heated to these indicators, then the animals will receive a thermal burn.
Veterinarians advise washing dogs at home in water with temperatures up to 31-33 ° C. This is the most comfortable mode.
If your dog loves to swim in natural bodies of water (in a river, in a lake), beware of hypothermia. Do not allow your pet to get into the water if it has not warmed up to 17-18 ° С.
- Drafts must not be allowed before and after bathing. Close all doors, windows and other sources of accelerated air circulation 1 hour before the expected procedure. Turn off the air conditioner, in winter, heat the bathroom with a heating radiator.
- If the dog is large, bathe it in a collar, holding on to the uniform. At the same time, you will be able to control the process, as well as clean the ammunition from dust and dirt.
- Do not allow soap and water to enter your pet’s ears. If they are cropped in the animal, use a special cap or shower cap for the procedure. Otherwise, don’t wash your hair at all.
How to properly wash your dog at home
Dogs can go without bathing for a long time. At the same time, four-legged friends have a passion for water, swimming with pleasure in the sea, lake or river. In young animals, the activity of the sebaceous glands is actively developed, as a result of which it disinfects the skin and cleanses the coat. Many dogs prefer to cleanse themselves by felting in carrion or debris, which causes owners to clutch their heads. Hence the need to wash at home. Like any other business, the procedure includes a number of features.
How to wash your dog
Washing your dog is considered to be quite complex and includes a number of aspects that need to be considered. Let’s consider the important features in order.
- First you need to prepare warm water (the optimal indicator is 40 degrees). The dog can be bathed in a basin or in a bath, in any case a lot of water will be required. Use a ladle or watering can to make it easier to wet the wool. Prepare towels, shampoo in advance.
- When preparation is complete, soak your dog’s coat with plenty of water. If you use animal shampoo for washing, apply it directly to the scalp, rubbing thoroughly.
- To make the procedure easier, dilute the shampoo with water to create a thick lather. Such a move will allow you to more thoroughly process the wool, in addition, the diluted composition is better washed off.
- The lather is applied all over the dog’s back and rubbed well into the coat. After that, the paws, tail, neck and belly are processed. The head is washed last, while it is important to ensure that the composition does not get into the ears and eyes.
- When washing, do not forget to clean the hair around the anus of the animal, wash the genitals. The procedure is performed only with warm (!) Water using shampoo.
- After shampoo is applied, soak it for about 3-5 minutes, then rinse with water. Next, you need to lather the wool a second time, withstand, rinse.
- Special attention is paid to rinsing with water. Start by removing the cleaner from the head, then from the back, neck and chest. When the water stops foaming, rinse your belly and paws. Help yourself with your hands, crushing fur and pushing foam down.
- After washing off the shampoo, dry the dog. Absorb excess moisture with a terry cloth, change the wet towel dry as it soaks. After wiping, wrap the animal with a dry cloth, leave to dry completely.
- Optionally, you can use a hairdryer, setting a gentle temperature and low speed. If your dog is a show dog, it is very important to train him to dry and style with this device.
- Be sure to treat the hairline with a special conditioner balm. To use the product correctly, apply the gel to your palms, rub into the coat from length to tip. Wash off the composition after 5 minutes with warm water.
- The coat of short-haired dogs is wiped in a different way. Mix together 300 ml. warm water, 30 ml. vodka and 25 ml. table vinegar (concentration 6%). Moisten the composition with a sponge or cloth, squeeze, walk over the surface of the hairline.
- To eliminate the doggy smell, wipe the pet’s fur with burdock or wormwood leaves. In addition to removing the stench, the hairline will become lush and shiny. However, you cannot use grass that grows along the road or track. It contains a lot of dirt and synthetic chemicals.
How to wash a dog without water
It is not uncommon for four-legged friends to swim in the usual way through the use of shampoo and water. Older animals can catch a cold, and in individuals with eczema, the disease develops many times faster.
Also, if the pet has recently undergone surgery, the stitches should not be allowed to come into contact with moisture. For simpler reasons, even adult dogs are hysterically afraid of water. In this case, there is only one thing left. dry bathing.
Experienced housewives, through trial and error, have developed an effective means of combating pollution. For the procedure, you need to purchase regular talcum powder (fragrance-free baby powder). Optionally, you can use the composition with chamomile, it perfectly disinfects the skin.
The technology of use is quite transparent: spread a large amount of the composition on the skin and wool, rub in the mixture for 10 minutes. Then comb the hair out with a comb and let the dog dust off. To facilitate the procedure, use a hair dryer (cold blowing), it will easily remove the remnants of the composition.
Washing a dog is a painstaking procedure, but every owner can do it. Choose the right shampoo, protect your pet’s eyes and ears, and prepare plenty of towels. Eliminate drafts in the apartment, after washing, treat the wool with balsam or vinegar solution.
Large breeds of dogs are washed in the bath. It is difficult for one person to bathe a large pet, such as the Russian Black Terrier, so they use outside help. For this, towels, detergents are prepared in advance, an anti-slip mat is laid on the bottom of the bath. If opportunities allow, then it is advisable to perform the procedure in the salon. At a cost, it will be about five thousand rubles.
Small breeds are bathed in a small basin, the procedure will not cause difficulties. Medium-sized dogs are washed either in a large basin or in a tub. A mat is laid on the bottom, which allows the paws to not slip. The water should be comfortable for the pet, you can determine this with your hand or a thermometer. The dog’s coat is lathered gently, starting from the back, going to the paws and stomach. The head is washed in the last step and without soap.
The foam is washed off thoroughly, do it several times. After that, it is allowed to use conditioner for easy combing and shine of the coat. Wipe the dog dry, paying particular attention to the ears and muzzle.
Puppies are bound to get dirty while walking outside. How to teach your baby to swim? At what age can you start water procedures? Veterinarians advise from the age of 6-8 months to bathe the baby three times a week. This will help teach the puppy to bathe and relieve him of unnecessary stress. In addition, frequent washing helps to remove dirt and dust from the coat. Newborns and babies cannot be bathed for up to six months, it is allowed to wash their paws after going to the tray.
Veterinarians remind dog owners that the older the pet is, the less often it needs to be bathed. With age, the coat and skin become dry, and grease accumulates for a long time. If the dog loves to spend time in the water, then such activities are minimized. It is not recommended to use detergents.
Yorkshire Terrier while swimming
Healthy puppies are vaccinated at about two months, but it is not always possible to wash babies at this age. it depends on the breed. It is advisable to teach the Yorkshire Terrier to water at the age of two months, and, for example, the Norwich Terrier at six months. Bathing is not recommended unless the coat is heavily soiled. Do not bathe puppies before vaccination.
Veterinarians advise against bathing your dog immediately after vaccination. The reason for this lies in a decrease in the pet’s immunity, that is, due to the introduction of strains of viruses and microbes into the body. The rule is very simple. you cannot bathe your dog for two weeks after vaccination! Depending on the breed, the behavior and well-being of the dog after vaccination changes: appetite may decrease, lethargy appear. Water treatments can provoke a cold. If your dog or puppy gets dirty, you can clean the coat with a comb and wet wipes.
How is it correct, at what temperature
There are steps to follow in order to properly wash your dog and not make him uncomfortable. The sequence of actions helps not only to alleviate the condition of the pet, but also to carry out the procedure as accurately as possible.
- Cover your pet’s ears with cotton swabs to protect them from moisture.
- Wear a muzzle if the dog is aggressive. It also protects against foam getting into the mouth.
- Prepare towels (several pieces), comb and hygiene product in advance.
- Bathing water temperature should be no more than forty degrees.
- The pet must be wet, but not pour water on the head and groin area.
- The shampoo is diluted with water, the wool is lathered, massaged, and the foam is left for five minutes.
- Paws are carefully processed.
- The foam is washed off with clean water, combed through the hair with a comb, washed off again.
- The dog is dried with a microfiber towel.
- After bathing, comb out.
This method will save your pet from heavy pollution. If the dog is not very dirty, then the coat can be wiped with a damp cloth, do not forget about the paws. You can also wash your dog without water. In this case, use a dry powder shampoo. It is applied carefully to the roots, massaged, and then combed out.
How often can you wash your dog at home and how to properly bathe your pet after a walk
In dogs, the coat is hair that completely covers the body. Its main function is to protect against harsh environments, as well as to maintain a comfortable temperature. The coat of different breeds of dogs is different, as is the color of the coat. The properties of hairs are determined by various factors, including climatic conditions, and structure, length, thickness and shape are the main differences between breeds.
The coat of a dog consists of undercoat, guard hair and integumentary hair. The first is silky, thin and short, reduces heat transfer from the body. The second is longer, protects the undercoat from getting wet. The third hair is coarse, thick and long. The cover protects the dog from cold and sun. According to the type of coat, there are wild, short-haired, long-haired and wire-haired, and in color. solid, mixed and modified.
The pet’s coat needs regular grooming and bathing. The peculiarity is that different types of wool have their own specific care. It should be borne in mind that show breeds have a professional approach to preparing a dog for an event.
Can I wash my hair and wet my ears
One and, perhaps, the main rule of bathing a dog is not to pour water on the head, to avoid getting it into the ears and eyes. To prevent liquid from getting into the ears, the dog is put on a special hat. Experts recommend not to wash your head at all, but only to wipe it with a damp cloth.
Bathe the dog, starting from the neck and back. Then they wash their belly, paws, tail. If the dog is large and shows aggression, then use a collar and muzzle made of nylon material for bathing.
By the seasons
Autumn and spring are those times of the year when swimming is welcome, because after a walk, the pet will probably be dirty. Veterinarians advise on-demand procedures, the frequency is determined by the owner. In the summer heat, the dog does not need to be bathed, or it is rarely done. At this time of the year, you can let your pet cleanse itself in ponds or a specially prepared pool.