Comfortable boots for any weather
If you sew from dense leather with a lining, you get warm winter boots with a high shaft. But the pattern is also suitable for sewing nylon raincoats.
Compare the picture with the photo below. it will become clearer what’s what. Detail 1. sole with a slightly cut heel (the heel is not rounded, but almost straight). Detail 2. the top of the boot, covering the foot to the beginning of the metacarpus (to the point where the bootleg begins, i.e. the top completely). Detail 3 gives additional space inside the boot. its width is equal to the height of the foot from the floor to the joint, and its length is equal to the circumference of the sole. Cylinder-folded part 4. bootleg (height is at your discretion, but low boots hold worse).
- we sew a strip (detail 3 in the figure and in the photo) to the sole (1), in a circle;
- sew the upper part of the boot (2) to the strip in front, not completely;
- the bootleg (part 4) remains open, not stitched. Sew the bottom of the bootleg (back fold) to the strip behind the heel and to the top of the boot in front. The edges of the bootleg remain free, open. so it is more convenient to put on and take off your shoes. To prevent the legs from getting wet and cold, on one side of the bootleg you need to sew a shelf (5 in the figure). a strip of fabric, as if under a zipper on trousers.
- we try on the boot and find a place just above the joint, just above the foot. Here you need to sew a pair of drawstrings (loops of fabric strips) to the bootleg, through which the Velcro tape will pass. We simply wrap the tape around the pastern and tighten it a little (so that the boot does not fall off, but also does not squeeze the paw). If you make two rows of Velcro, the dog will gladly slap in the mud, not noticing the bad weather: such shoes do not slip, do not twist and do not change their paws.
Before sewing shoes for your dog, always check to see if there is enough detail to prevent the shoes from getting tight. Especially if the pet is small, but there are several details: offhand it seems that the seams will “eat up” a maximum of a centimeter of area, but for a small paw the lack of even a centimeter is already a lot. If the fabric is dense, leave the seams on the outside. this will make the paws more comfortable, and the dog will get used to the new thing faster. Plus, coarse seams won’t ruin the coat.
High boots can be attached directly to the inner leg of the jumpsuit. To do this, you need to divide the buttons or Velcro into two halves. sew one part to the boots, and hide the other inside the legs.
Comfortable two-piece boots
This shoe pattern for small dogs is suitable both as a base for winter boots and for sewing light raincoats or anthers. Boots sit comfortably enough on the paw if the fabric is dense and keeps its shape. The insole and / or sole can be reinforced at your discretion. with dense leather, a piece of tanned leather, felt or left soft. Lightweight boots for protection from moisture and dust are sewn in literally half an hour, winter boots made of fur or leather take a little longer. you will need an awl to make punctures, and strong threads.
- draw the sole by the measurements of the foot plus seam allowances;
- draw a trapezoid, the height of which is equal to the height of the boot, and the width is equal to the girth of the pastern. At the bottom of the trapezoid there is a wave, as in the figure. Its rise will be at the back, on the heel (the narrowest point of the trapezoid is the back of the boot), and the sharp angle will be on the toe of the boot. We are looking for the wave shape approximately. it is convenient to cover the foot with paper or an unnecessary piece of fabric, estimate the bends and mark them with chalk / felt-tip pen. And then from the “draft” transfer the pattern to the fabric.
- we process the top (in the photo there is a checkered decorative edging along the top, but it is better to put in an additional loose elastic band);
- fold the trapezoid in half, try on the sole. The seam that connects the sides of the trapezoid must match the toe of the boot, i.e. bump into it. The fold will turn out in the back, behind the heel. Sew on the part to the sole;
- now we sew the trapezoid along the lines (orange in the picture). The back turns out to be vertical, and the front part is slightly beveled due to the inclination of the sides of the trapezoid. If there is a lot of excess fabric, you can make a dart in front just above the foot (see number 1 in the photo). Around the metacarpus, just above the joint, skip a lace or Velcro tape (number 2 in the photo).
Boots with tongues
Part 1. the side of the boot, you need two for one boot (or four if you want to insert a lining of fleece or other warm material). The tongue is approximately equal in length to detail 1, i.e. the height of the boot. The sole is along the contour of the foot (detail 3). Detail 4 covers the toe and, together with the tongue, forms the front of the boot (you can see how the sneakers are sewn. it will become clearer). To sew comfortable shoes for small breed dogs with your own hands according to the pattern below, you will have to make several trial fittings. Use paper or unwanted fabric for rough fittings.
- Sew together the heels of the sidewalls and sew along the oval to the sole, starting from the back of the boot. While we sew to the middle of the sole;
- we sew the tongue and toe;
- sew the toe to the front of the sole;
- we sew the sides to the end, connect them to the toe. The tongue remains free, the side parts do not need to be sewn along the tongue to the very top, otherwise it will be difficult to pull the boot over the paw;
- it remains to pass a lace or Velcro tape around the pastern. If the boots are high, you need an extra elastic band or another drawstring on top. If you are sewing shoes for a large dog, you can insert a strip of fabric between the side parts and the sole, the width of which corresponds to the height of the foot from the floor to the beginning of the joint (see the following pattern, this strip is used there).
Simple shoes without complicated cut
If you urgently need to sew protective shoes for dogs of large breeds with your own hands, this option is ideal (the dog cut his paw, but there is no “rescue” shoe). Such shoes are not very suitable for long wearing. For small dogs and pets with lean, lean paws, a few extra stitches are required. The material needs soft, elastic and waterproof. The sole can be reinforced by sewing on a piece of thick, non-slip fabric on the outside.
So, the inner oval or circle is equal to the outlines of the foot (you need to measure the length and width). Line CD. Desired Boot Height.
- cut out a circle / oval from the fabric, as it turned out by the measurements and a couple of cm for the hem on top;
- we put the dog’s paw in the center, right on the fabric;
- lift the fabric up, covering the foot and metacarpus (as if packing a flower pot);
- we make several tucks with pins, collecting excess fabric into darts (all unnecessary. outside the boot). Please note that the boot must be worn freely, i.e. it is not necessary to tighten the width too much with darts;
- inside, you can sew a dense felt insole or sew on the sole from the outside. You can leave the boot soft, but the fabric should be waterproof;
- we sew along the line of the darts, cut off the excess protruding fabric;
- tuck the top and skip the rubber band or cord on the retainer. We do the same tightening around the pastern, just above the foot.
We make shoes for a dog with our own hands. patterns and explanations for them
Before proceeding with cutting and sewing, let’s remember the important nuances:
- it is clear that since the dog has four paws, it should also have four boots. But shoes should be sewn in pairs: the hind and front legs differ in the size of the feet, the rise, the distance from the foot to the joint. You need to measure two legs. front and back separately;
- the shoes should not slip, so the material for the outer part of the sole should be rough. You can sew a Velcro strip to the sole, but it will collect dust and fine debris;
- shoes in no case should be tight, so you need to sew with a small margin for the movement of the paw back and forth when walking. Consider the length of the claws and the fact that the toes spread out and protrude forward when the dog rests on the foot with all its weight. To make the pattern of shoes for dogs accurate, measure the paw in a rack. the pet rests completely on the limb, does not squat when measuring the forefoot and does not lean forward when you touch the hind paw;
- something tightening is more convenient as a fastener, rather than a zipper or buttons. It is important that the fastener (elastic band, Velcro, braid on the retainer) does not squeeze the limb and does not interfere with the bending of the joints when walking. Poor circulation in the paws quickly leads to hypothermia! In addition, the dog will probably try to take off such a boot;
- so that the boots do not chafe, it is better to make the seams outside. Especially if it is a winter model made of dense tanned fabric, fur, dense leather. Rough outer seams can be hidden under tape, piping or decorative overlock.
When walking, dogs lean on their toes, and not on the entire foot, like a person. For them, the comfort of the shoe is extremely important. the changed position of the paws quickly leads to chronic diseases of the joints. Therefore, first of all, always think about comfort, and only then about beauty. A dog in shoes should walk the same way as without them. stepping confidently, not seeding. The boots will have to be redone if the pet’s paws move to the sides, the shoes fall off, the sole is clearly not under the foot, the socks look anywhere but forward.
Warmth, cosiness and comfort
If you don’t like sewing, you can knit dog shoes for something like booties or socks. It is convenient for dogs in such shoes. the paw is completely on the ground, nothing constrains the movements of the fingers, the fasteners do not press on the joints. Knitted “slippers” will not let the paws of the crumbs freeze after a bath, when it is already cold outside the window, and the heating has not yet been turned on.
Unfortunately, such shoes are impractical. they quickly collect dust, wear out and stretch. If the claws are not filed, the claw will pierce the boot and stick out, and this interferes with walking (the boot will either fall off or twist). There is nothing to say about a walk in dampness, but in winter the paws get wet. the snow melts from the touch of the paw pads, moisture is absorbed into the threads, freezes and forms a cold crust. To extend the lifespan of a cozy beauty, it is not difficult to retrofit shoes in one of the following ways:
- sew on a dense insole from the inside (felt, two layers of fleece, etc.);
- make the sole of a coarse waterproof fabric, and knit the part with knitting needles, typing loops along the edge of the sole and up, in a column;
- Reinforce the toe of the knitted shoe with a strip of leather or nylon so that the claws rest against the dense material.
Do-it-yourself shoes for dogs are easy if you know how to knit socks or booties (they are more comfortable, as they sit on the leg not tightly, but like a boot). You can work with a crochet or knitting needles, as you are used to. The loops should not be airy (they will stretch quickly), and the threads should be strong and rather coarse (but not prickly). From fine yarn or delicate mohair, it is better to knit a jumpsuit or sweater in the color of the shoes. For long-haired dogs, if it is important to preserve the ideal quality of the coat, knitted shoes are not suitable. woolen threads electrify and rub the coat. Although, if you wish, you can sew a silk lining inside the shoe.
How to knit a blanket for a dog with your own hands
In order to knit a blanket for a dog, it is necessary to take the following measurements. neck girth, tummy girth and length from the neck to the base of the tail. Then a simple pattern should be made, which may resemble the letter T or G. In order for the product to sit well on the body of the animal, a second jumper must be made, passing behind the front legs along the chest or tummy (depending on the sex of the dog).
Knit Dog Cape Knit Dog Vest Knit Dog Sweater
Knit a jacket for a dog Knit a jacket for a dog Knit a jumpsuit for a dog
Warm blanket knitted with a simple pattern of melange yarn will delight your pet and keep him warm on a cool day. The model is designed for a medium-sized mole dog
You will need: About 100 g of thick yarn (60% acrylic and 40% wool), some yarn for finishing, knitting needles No. 5, hook No. 4-5, 2 buttons, a needle.
Performance of work: knit 2 rows of garter stitch, then continue the work with the front satin stitch, adding in each 2nd row on both sides 6 times on the 1st loop, while knitting the added loops with garter stitch. Next, knit straight with the front stitch on the middle 20 loops, and continue garter stitch on the side 6 loops. Fitting. the length of the product should be equal to the distance from the tail to the base of the neck. Then divide the loops in half and knit each half separately. For the neckline, close from the inner edge in each 2nd row 1 time in 3 loops, 1 time in 2 loops and 2 times in 1 loop. On the remaining loops, knit a garter stitch strap of the required length, which should be determined by trying on the dog. Perform the second half symmetrically.
To jumper the tummy onto the knitting needles, cast on 12 loops and knit with garter stitch. The length is determined by fitting. Sew the jumper to the side of the blanket. Tie the product along the contour with the 1st row with double crochet, performing hinged button loops on the strap and lintel. Make the loops in the form of a chain of air loops, the length of which depends on the diameter of the button (Fig. 1). Moisten the finished product and spread it on a flat surface, let it dry. Sew on buttons according to the loops (fig. 2).
Do-it-yourself blanket for a dog with a pattern
A classic blanket that is knitted according to individual measurements. And in order for the thing to be especially warm and practical, you should use woolen yarn.
You will need: 100 g of yarn (100% wool), knitting needles No. 3, 4 buttons, a needle.
Performance of work: Take measurements from the dog. the distance from the base of the neck to the tail, chest girth, neck girth, the length of the front paw, measure from the neck to the floor. According to the obtained measurements, make a pattern in full size, guided by a sketch (Fig. 3).
Knitting of the product starts from one side to the other. Calculate the loops for the set, the number of loops must be a multiple of 4. On the needles, cast on loops, the number of which corresponds to the length of side A B. Knit 5 rows with a pearl pattern, then continue the work with a relief pattern according to the scheme (Fig. 4).
The diagram shows only the front rows, in the purl rows, knit all the loops according to the pattern. Knit the fabric, cutting on the right side for the neckline according to the pattern. Add and decrease loops by applying the canvas to the pattern. At the same time, on side B C, make 3 holes for buttons, distributing them at equal intervals from each other. Tie the desired height of the product, while performing the last 5 rows with a pearl pattern. On the edge of the neckline on circular knitting needles, cast on loops and knit with a pearl pattern 5 rows, making a hole for the button at the same level as the previous 3. Raise the loops along the bottom edge and knit 5 rows with a pearl pattern. Moisten the product and spread it on a flat surface. Allow to dry. Sew on buttons according to the loops (fig. 5).
DIY clothes for small dogs
Sewing clothes for small dogs can be a little tricky as there will be small details. But nevertheless, if everything is done correctly, the result will be worthwhile.
Despite the fact that dachshunds are hunting dogs, they definitely need clothes. Especially in cold and rainy weather, the lower torso freezes very quickly. Therefore, the blanket is an ideal option that does not hinder movement. Even if your dog is not accustomed to clothes, putting on this product will be very simple and quick.
To create a cute jumpsuit for your dog, find the right quality material and have your measurements ready. These clothes are best for cool weather.
Note that the pattern has four pieces. Their sizes will depend on the measurements of your terrier. Therefore, shoot them correctly. It is also worth noting that the jumpsuit has a zipper on the back. This option is great for this breed, as dogs are often very playful and sometimes even capricious.
The cute, playful Chihuahua dogs especially need the right clothing for the fall / winter season. Therefore, for this breed, it is better to make several options. One of the most necessary will be a warmed overalls. If you wish, you can even make a model with a hood. Thanks to this, the dog will be able to walk longer and will be protected from gusts of wind.
How to take measurements and choose the right material?
The choice of material depends on what kind of weather you are going to make clothes for. For example, for walking, it is very important to choose fabrics that are easy to clean and wash. Due to this, its service life will be significantly longer.
For the fall season, it is better to look at a single layer material that will protect the wool from slush and dirt. This is especially true for dogs with long hair or dwarf.
How to Sew the Easiest Baby Blanket Ever
In the winter season, the task of clothing is somewhat different. Therefore, it must necessarily have insulation. For example, synthetic winterizer, synthetic winterizer or fleece. Such products are in demand among owners of small and smooth-haired dogs.
In general, it is believed that it is better to choose cotton from natural fabrics, and from artificial microfiber, polyester and viscose. Satin and silk are suitable as a lining, as they do not allow wool to tangle.
As for the measurements, in fact it is not difficult to do this. The main thing is that the animal is in a standing position and only on a flat surface. Also, for sewing products, you may need different measurements, so pay attention to the photo.
The meaning of all measurements that are shown in the picture:
- Back length is the distance from the withers to the base of the tail.
- The girth of the neck suggests that you need to measure at the widest point on the neck. This can be done simply by measuring the collar.
- Chest circumference is also measured at its widest point.
- Waist circumference.
- Belly length for bitches.
- Chest width (distance between the bases of the humerus).
- The length of the forelegs is measured exclusively from the base.
- The length of the hind legs should be measured according to the same principle.
- Belly length for males.
- The distance between the ears for sewing headgear.
- Head circumference.
- Girth of the muzzle.
Patterns of clothes for dogs
Almost every piece needs its own pattern. Sometimes it can be difficult to figure out the details, so we offer a more versatile version of a jumpsuit with a. The main thing to do is to adapt it to the parameters of your dog.
For those who are trying to sew something with their own hands for the first time and are worried that they will not be able to calculate the correct size of the pattern, we suggest using the simplest pattern. To do this, you need to take the following measurements from your dog:
- back length;
- chest girth.
Divide the back length by ten to get the side of the square. Use this to create your own pattern. It is better to do it on a piece of paper and first draw a grid. Only then proceed to drawing dots. Please note that the back should be in two pieces and the fabric for the belly should be one piece.
The following patterns are great for small dog breeds such as Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier and others.
Knitted clothes for dogs
Beautiful and functional clothes for a dog can not only be sewn, but also knitted with your own hands. It will be a little more difficult to do this, but the result is worth it.
Experts recommend using knitted clothes in the fall season, and in the winter season, just put them on under a windproof overalls. Also pay attention to the quality of the threads, as they should protect from the cold and not interfere with the absorption of sweat. It is very important for your dog’s health and comfort.
There are many different varieties of knitted clothes for dogs. We have selected several ideas for you, among which you can find something suitable for your pet.
How to make clothes for dogs with your own hands?
Before adopting a dog, be sure to think about whether you are ready to provide it with proper care. This applies not only to food, walks and visits to the veterinarian, but also to the purchase of special clothing. Indeed, in the modern world, it is considered an indispensable element of keeping a dog. However, even with minimal abilities in sewing or knitting, you can make such clothes with your own hands.
The subtleties of creating clothes for dogs
When choosing a non-elastic material for sewing, be sure to add a few centimeters on each side of the garment. This is necessary so that the clothes do not hinder movement, especially in the throat and chest.
Also, it is better to place various fasteners and Velcro on the back. This is necessary not only for the dog, but also for you, as the dressing process will be much easier and more comfortable. In addition, if your pet is long-haired, then make sure that the fasteners do not cling. If desired, you can sew on buttons or baby liposki.
Of course, the process of sewing clothes for a dog is very laborious. But at the same time, thanks to this, you can significantly save and buy another toy for your pet.
The size of the pattern is made according to the parameters of the dog.
To do this, you need to measure with a measuring tape:
- the length of the chest and abdomen;
- distance on the abdomen between the front and hind legs;
- girth of the neck;
- the width of the back of the dog in the tail region;
- abdominal girth.
Pattern of blankets for a dog
Next, you need to decide on the material. For manufacturing, you need a natural fiber fabric, preferably a little stretching, laces or ropes, threads and a needle (sewing machine).
Then, the resulting layout is cut and attached to the dog. See if just the armholes for the paws, whether the sizes of all lengths are convenient. Correct the pattern if necessary.
Then you need to transfer the layout to the fabric. To do this, a paper pattern is placed on the material from which the product will be sewn, outlined with chalk or a marker. Then the fabric layout is cut.
Next, you need to process the fringing edges of the fabric. You can use braid, overlock, or another method.
The last step will be to attach the ropes to fix it on the dog’s body. To do this, a lace must be sewn to all the places marked with numbers on the pattern. Done.
Now you need to try it on a dog. Such a device is put on from below. Above, on the back and legs, ropes are tied. If the pet is comfortable and all sizes are correctly selected, the work is over. If some side of the product hinders movement or presses on the body, it is necessary to correct this place.
Over time, he will get used to it and stop jerking her paws.
What are the blankets
For the postoperative period, it is recommended to use natural fabrics, not thick. Cotton, linen and viscose allow air to pass through well, absorb moisture and prevent the skin from sweating, overheating and sweating at the seam. Synthetic fabrics will not work for this.
For warmth, in winter, you can sew your pet quilted, felt, fur, woolen, etc. Such clothes in the cold will protect the dog from hypothermia and protect from colds.
For shelter from the rain, a blanket-raincoat made of polyethylene or oilcloth material is suitable.
How to sew a blanket for a dog with your own hands
In this article I will talk about a blanket for dogs. Let me explain what they are and what they are for. I will explain how you can sew a blanket with your own hands, make patterns and put it on the dog correctly.
How to sew with your own hands
Such a product is quite simple to make. This does not require any special skills.
Below are two sewing patterns that will fit any dog size.
Taking measurements for blankets
For cool and damp weather
The figure shows half of the finished product. The upper part (length from withers to tail), when transferred to the fabric, is the middle of the pattern. That is, you need to fold the fabric in half and attach this cut to the place where the matter formed a fold.
This type of blanket can be sewn from several materials (outer and lining).
Such clothes will be put on from the back, tied or fixed on the belly of the dog. To do this, you can sew on ropes or Velcro.
After the pattern was transferred to the fabric, the edges were cut and finished. You need to cover and try on the product for the dog. Then decide on the place of attachment of the Velcro. Sew them on. Done.
Blanket for a walk
Why does a dog need a blanket
A pet may need it in two cases:
- In the postoperative period. Such clothes are worn on the stomach and tied at the back. Serves so that the pet does not lick or gnaw at the seams. Usually worn for two weeks without removing until the vet removes the stitches.
- For warmth. In winter, insulated is used. Wear waterproof clothing when it rains.
Blanket for dogs is a universal form of clothing borrowed by dog handlers from horsemen
How to put a blanket on a dog
Clothes are thrown over the back and fastened with Velcro from below. You do not need to tighten it, the dog should be comfortable and comfortable to run. The postoperative blanket must be worn correctly. It should not hang freely on the dog’s body so that the dog cannot get close to the seam with its nose or paw.
If the dog has a catheter inserted, a hole must be made for it in the self-sewn blanket.
In the article I talked about a blanket for dogs. Explained what they are and what they are for. Explained how you can sew it yourself and put it on the dog correctly.
With a low side and a bow
For this version of execution (for very small dogs, bottom right in the figure), 2 different parts are needed from soft, well-stretched fabric: one along the contour of the white circle (white rim. allowance), the other along the green circle with the same allowance. Filler. fibrous or crumbly; side padding is loose. The sewing procedure is the same as before. case, but after flashing the bottom and filling the bead, the outer wing of the sidewall is folded inward, the braid (tape) is put into the sleeve and a double seam is made; outer. 0.5-1 cm from the bend. You can also sew in one seam, but then the assembly when tightening the braid will go messy.
On a cord or elastic
Loungers with a house
A dog house is not at all the same as a dog house. Just a house. it is for play or serious business, for example, for a puppy bitch with a brood. And a bed with a house is needed for a dog in other very specific cases.
A dog of northern origin, either sled or shepherd, needs a sturdy home kennel, on the left in fig. Her closest ancestors (possibly her parents) lived in monstrous conditions: they were fed from hand to mouth, they had to spend the night in the snow at –40 and below. Their owners beat them to death for the slightest offense; the sick or exhausted were thrown to the mercy of fate, in the tundra it was very evil and short-lived. The owners themselves could have eaten. Amundsen’s expedition to Antarctica only because it reached the South Pole and returned back in full force and good health, that on the way it threw the sledges freed from their luggage, and the sled dogs freed from them. ate! At that time, this caused the strongest indignation in the world, but among the Norwegians-polar explorers only surprise: how so? What’s wrong with that? These are dogs! They are not only draft, but also food.!
Note: Northern peoples do not eat hunting dogs. Training a hunting dog is a long hard work that requires a lot of experience, and a hunting dog is too valuable.
The puppy also needs a bed with a shelter house (in the center in the figure) or a cradle bed, see below. For similar reasons: it is still small. If you don’t like it, they can throw it out or give it to someone bad. And they made the house. that’s it, it got accustomed! You can sleep well.
The miniature adult lapdog has taken root quite well and knows that she is loved. But she is too small, they can accidentally step on the sleeping person. Therefore, she also needs a house above the bed, but not soft sewn, like a puppy, but stronger (on the right in the figure), so that if something happens, she can have time to wake up and jump out. Sensitivity in sleep and reaction in all dogs is quite wild, the same instinct of self-preservation works.
Using the same scheme, you can make a bed for a dog of a slightly different type. With folding sides with ties or zippers, it will also be transformable, and sewn tightly. permanent home. Of course, in this case it will also be possible to put it on the frame for a large dog.
Patterns of simple soft beds for medium-sized dogs are given in Fig. Left. “for growth”, with an entrance for a puppy; on the right. for an adult dog. Dimensions are for continuous foam padding; textile parts must be given a processing allowance of 2-3 cm.
Patterns of simple soft dog beds
- On the sides of the parts mating in the product that are opposite to the fold lines, the allowance is doubled;
- Modules (pillow, sidewalls) are stitched from the inside out, while leaving armholes for the padding;
- The mating sides of the modules are stitched with a double seam to further form a wing with a width of 2-3 cm, free from stuffing;
- Sewn modules are turned inside out on the face through the armholes;
- The wings of the sidewalls and pillows are folded on the inside (where the dog will be) and are sewn with the front seam;
- The padding is placed in the sewn modules through the armholes;
- The armholes are sewn up with a front seam;
- The sides are sewn together according to clause 5.
This is also not the only possible sewing method. You can sew a soft bed for a dog as shown in the plot
What you need to know
The bed for the dog is arranged in the same way as for the cat. But, in order to properly make a bed for a dog, you need to keep in mind that:
- The dog was domesticated by man many earlier than the cat. If domestic cats freely interbreed with wild forest cats and give viable fertile offspring, then there is nothing to hear about dog-wolf hybrids. Therefore, the genetic ties with the progenitors (ancestor memory) are much weaker in dogs than in cats.
- Dogs are exclusively terrestrial animals. A poodle or lapdog can jump on a closet, but cannot climb a tree.
- Dogs’ claws do not retract. They are thicker, sturdier, less curved than felines and therefore almost never tangled or get stuck.
- The skin glands of dogs, by their nature active pack hunter-beaters, are more developed than those of cats. ambush predators. If a wild cat needs to hide and wait in order to feed itself, then a wolf or a wild dog must clearly mark its path so that the leader can properly organize the hunt of the pack.
- A flock of predators of the canine family in nature is a terrible force: neither a bear, nor a tiger, nor a wild buffalo or an elephant can cope with it. Dogs do not need to disguise themselves on vacation. On the contrary, the members of the pack must sense each other. All dog lovers could smell the dog, but who ever heard that it smelled of cat? Therefore, dogs are not as neat as cats: they do not wash and toilet skills are less developed.
At home, these differences are less pronounced and a bed for a cat will generally work for a dog of the same size. The main difference is the padding. A synthetic winterizer or holofiber is unambiguously not suitable: they firmly hold the grease in themselves and fall off from it. Furniture foam rubber of brands from 35 to 45 is more suitable. But the best option is coconut fiber. It is practically eternal under the dog, and the padded bed does not need to be washed: it is enough to rinse it vigorously in hot water or rinse it under a strong hot shower; the coconut padding dries quickly, almost simultaneously with the fabric. You can often buy coconut fiber much cheaper than a new one at a car service. Coconut is also used to make the upper upholstery of car seats.
Note: The upholstery fabric for a dog bed will work the same as for a cat bed, except for fleece, flock, microfiber, etc. fluffy, retaining grease and other secretions. Jeans, linen, any synthetics will do. thanks to the same skin glands, dogs are not very sensitive to static electricity, they are smaller than us. Experienced villains know that it is unrealistic to lay down a guard dog with a stun gun.
The second is the origin of the dog breed. We will touch on some of the nuances of this kind further, but for now we will not wind a mustache: the dogs of indoor decorative breeds have almost completely lost the memory of their ancestors and, resting, sometimes fall apart in the most shameless way, see fig. on right. Therefore, a bed for a miniature indoor dog should be about the same size as for a medium-sized mongrel.
How to make a large bed for a small dog, see the video below:
A bed for all occasions
It is customary to present any cognitive material from simple to complex. And we will start with a soft transforming bed: it is even easier to sew it than the simple sewn ones described below.
The pattern and appearance of the transforming bed for a dog of Spanish design are shown in Fig. Dimensions are given without machining allowance, see below.
Pattern and appearance of a transforming bed for a dog
How to Make a Self-Binding Sherpa Fleece Blanket
- The sizes can be changed proportionally according to the size of the dog;
- With all the sides raised, this bed is suitable for puppies and small playful lap dogs;
- Throwing back the front and, possibly, one of the side boards, the transforming bed can be adapted to any favorite sleeping position of a dog of any size, except for a giant one;
- On a wooden bed for a large dog, a transforming bed is laid in the same way as a regular bed;
- When folded, the transforming bed can be taken with you in your luggage if the dog accompanies you on a trip.
For a simple stove bench (top right in the figure), 3 different parts are cut: 2 for the bottom (with an allowance for processing, see above), and the board along the contour of the white circle in Fig. 2 allowances are given on the side: outward and in the cutout under the bottom. Details of the bottom made of different fabrics: the bottom, which will lie on the floor or somewhere else, from burlap, jeans, etc. The upper one is made of decorative fabric. The bottom is sewn together with a pillow, the side is sewn with a bagel, and then everything together with the wing fold inward, see above. The stuffing of such a couch should not be dense and solid, otherwise you will not sew and lay beautifully. The best option is old knitwear cut into rags or coconut fiber, see above.
The choice of materials, of course, depends on the purpose of the blanket. If this is a summer blanket-raincoat, you can take a membrane fabric, and use a regular lining fabric as a lining.
If you are sewing a winter blanket, then faux fur or fleece can be used as a lining.
For a demi-season blanket for a dog, designed for a cool slushy autumn or spring, I will need:
- Membrane or waterproof raincoat fabric.
- Lining stitch.
- Plastic fastener fastex.
- Adjusting plastic buckle
- 0.5 meter belt sling.
- Regular elastic (0.5 meters).
- Velcro (if necessary).
- Membrane or waterproof raincoat fabric (I took a lining stitch on a thin padding polyester).
- Fleece fabric for lining and hood.
- Round elastic approximately 3mm thick.
- Two clips.
I will not describe step by step the entire process of making blankets. You can watch both master classes in video clips on our youtube channel.
One of them is such an autumn blanket, a raincoat for a dog. It will be more closed than the blanket that I sewed before, and better covers the entire body of the watchdog.
I have been looking for a style that I like for a long time. And I accidentally “stumbled upon” the manufacturers of clothes for dogs, who have a lot of different cool things for our tailed friends. I liked just such a model of a blanket.
Insulated winter blanket
And here is the second pet blanket. This is a warmer winter blanket for a dog.
I also saw this model on the Internet.
And I decided to sew to her Dzhekushka the same cool insulated winter blanket.
Comfortable blanket for a dog: a step-by-step master class
Autumn has arrived and it’s time to update our favorite ponytails wardrobe. And today I will sew two whole new blankets for my Jack. And at the same time I will show you how to easily sew a blanket for a dog with your own hands.
In general, in my opinion, a blanket for dogs is the most versatile and most comfortable model of clothing for pets. It does not hinder movement, it is easy to put on and perfectly protects the woolen friend from any bad weather. At least for my Jekusik, the blanket is perhaps the only thing that he wears, if not with pleasure, then more or less tolerably. Well, except that a vest can also be attributed to such “tolerant” accessories.
Earlier I already sewed a blanket for Jack. But that was a long time ago and, to be honest, my dog has already grown out of it.
Well, today we will sew TWO completely different blankets.
Winter blanket pattern
Pattern of a warm winter blanket for your fluffy friend.
To sew this blanket, we only need two measurements:
- Your pet’s back length.
- Chest girth.
If everything is clear with the length of the back, it is the main size for building a pattern. But thanks to the accurate measurement of the chest girth, you can correct the length of the lower (smooth line) of the back detail on the pattern: make it smaller or slightly lengthen.
At the bottom (on the belly), the smooth protruding parts of the backrest should “meet” each other (as shown in the photo below).