To the noise
The reason why a dog at home barks at any noise is often fear. The dog may be afraid of incomprehensible noises, especially if they cannot see the cause. You can wean it like this: calmly approach the object that frightened the animal. Let the pet come up, sniff it too.
- The reason for this is mainly the curiosity of the little pet.
- Or it can be aggressive if the puppy does not often communicate with other dogs.
Remember: there are no dogs that cannot be taught to be good with other animals. There is no such pet that does not lend itself to education.
- To make friends with a puppy with another dog, you need to allow, initially, to communicate with his own kind. this time.
- It is necessary to explain to the little pet. what can be done and what cannot be done. these are two.
- Control your puppy when on a leash. that’s three.
Just like that for no reason
Why barks for no apparent reason (day and night):
- Remember, the dog never barks just like that. If she gives a signal, then something happened. Maybe not obvious or insignificant to you, but not to the dog. Perhaps this is the reluctance of the animal to be alone.
- Banal fear and loneliness. Most likely, the dog is trying to say in this way that it needs support and is afraid to be alone;
- Barking for no reason in small puppies (especially at night) can be caused by separation from the mother.
- Unspilled energy on a walk.
- Loose nerves. Be sure to go to the vet!
How to stop a dog from barking at home:
- You can’t make concessions to a barking dog, especially if what she asks for is prohibited. Show pity and she will feel like a winner.
- In order to wean a puppy. you need to wait until he calms down, only then. go into the room where he is. Place your baby’s bed next to the bed, within your reach. To stop the seizure, lay the puppy next to you, talk to him, stroke him until you fall asleep. Such care will instill in the baby a sense of safety and maternal care.
- But you cannot react to the barking of an adult dog, since the pet is flattered by any attention, even negative. Approach the dog only after the barking has stopped, otherwise it will use it to attract attention.
- Switch the dog’s attention to something else. this method is suitable in situations where the dog barks at everyone and everything. It could be a game, toy, or anything else that piques interest in the dog. Be sure to praise every time the dog calms down. Positive reinforcement of behavior reinforces the causal relationship well in the animal’s brain, and the next time the dog will be quiet, because he knows that silence is rewarded;
- The emotional state of the dog depends on yours. If you are agitated, your pet will feel it and react.
- You should never praise a dog that barks when the owner appears with joy. The reflex will develop quickly.
- Shouting at dogs has a negative effect in most cases. If the owner shouts, the pet can snap back.
In a dream
Reasons for this: the dog may have some kind of dream or nightmare. How to deal with this? The only option, perhaps, is to stroke the dog, talk, soothing him with this. If this happens often, then you definitely need to go to the veterinarian and get checked. Also, in this case, it is better to place the dog’s sleeping place next to your.
On the mirror
Why does the dog bark: sees some kind of reflection in him. which scares him, annoys him, angers or excites him.
How to wean: Train your dog to commands: “fu”, “quiet” or “no”. In general, it is best to remove the mirror.
When it starts?
At what age do puppies start barking? This usually happens at 3-4 months. But, of course, first of all, it depends on the characteristics of the breed, the puppy itself and the conditions of detention. There are talkative bell dogs: they bark a lot and with pleasure. Silent people, on the other hand, are reserved and taciturn and only bark in extreme cases.
By the way, when you do a lot with your puppy, play, train him, then in the heat of enthusiasm (completely unexpected for you!) He can take and kaaaak bark!
In general, dogs are very fond of imitating and adopting certain behaviors. If your kid has someone to take an example from (he often communicates with other dogs, hears their barking), then he himself learns to bark earlier than his peers.
Often very often, dogs begin to bark at home at strangers at a party or even a little familiar person.
- The dog may be afraid or anxious;
- Excessive arousal;
- Aggressive attitude towards strangers.
How to deal with it?
- You need to ask guests to enter the room and sit down when the dog is in another room;
- In ten minutes, let him in, ask the guests not to pay attention to him;
- Each guest should put a treat next to him;
- Now you can let the dog go up to everyone and pick up a reward;
- Also, you can leave a basket with toys at the front door. Everyone who comes will pick up a toy. And when you see a dog, throw a toy to it, try to play;
- Repeat this as often as possible and with different people.
- There is also such an option as the command. “Place” when the dog is in another room.
What breeds are few?
- Basenji is the only dog breed that does not bark at all, does not know how to do it. Instead of barking, they howl or hum.
- Bullmastiff. he will rather snort and snort than bark.
- Deerhound. they bark very quietly.
- Afghan Hound.
- Chinese Shar Pei. bark only when playing or when danger seems imminent.
- Rhodesian Ridgeback.
- Akita Inu. usually silent unless there is particular reason for alarm.
- Clumber Spaniel. does not bark unless he feels severe danger.
- Greyhound. practically does not bark.
- Russian hunting greyhound.
- English bulldog.
- Irish wolfhound.
- German dog.
- Saluki (gazelle dog).
In the absence of the owners
Many dogs bark after the owner leaves. In this case, you need to stand outside the door and note the duration of the barking. If the pet does not shut up after fifteen minutes, you will have to take it up.
When a dog is alone, he begins to get bored. The accumulated energy is poured into destructive behavior and barking. To avoid this, it is recommended that you walk your pet well before leaving. Usually the dog gets tired of walking and falls asleep. However, some animals make noise upon waking up. In this case, you will have to resort to drastic measures. These include:
- Sedatives. In veterinary pharmacies, you can buy drugs in drops or tablets. They are relaxing and help to reduce activity. These products are not suitable for permanent use! Most often, they need to be given in courses.
- Electro-shock collar. If the dog barks when it is alone, and the owner cannot control it, you can use ESHO. It is a collar with a “box” and two rounded electrodes. The sensor senses the movement of the larynx, and the electrodes send a shock. The impact force will be sensitive, but minimal. It is comparable to static electricity.
- Ultrasonic collar. Acts on a similar principle. Instead of an electric shock, the device sends ultrasonic signals. As soon as the animal stops barking, the ultrasound is turned off. There is a risk that the money will be wasted: some dogs panic at the signal and start barking even louder.
When the owner is around
If the owner is faced with a systematic violation of the rules, it is in his power to change everything. Different methods can be used:
- If the dog often barks in the apartment, you should not encourage such behavior and immediately run to the noise: this will only confirm the effectiveness of such a manipulation. It is recommended to approach the animal after it is silent.
- If your dog has a habit of barking constantly and loudly, you can grab his ears, rub them and squeeze them slightly. This advice may sound strange, but it is very powerful. The dog will be surprised by such behavior of the owner and will stop barking for a while. This will be enough to distract the pet with the game. Before using this method, it is recommended to test it on a calm dog. If the reaction is positive, then it will work. This method will be effective even in the car.
- If the “ear” method fails, you can try barking at the dog. You need to make eye contact and start barking loudly, expressively. This will confuse the animal and buy time.
- If the dog barks at guests, you can ask him to perform a few tricks or commands. It is recommended to start with “near” or “to me” to call the animal into contact. After that, the host and guests should praise the dog. This will generate a positive response and the dog will stop barking in vain. This advice is also relevant in the event of a violent reaction to neighbors.
- Dogs often bark at home on noise, such as an intercom, phone call, or door. This is how they show the instincts of a guard. In this case, it will be enough to distract her with a favorite toy or ask her to perform a trick.
Many dogs have a fear of thunder. They start barking and howling, scrubbing the floor and even leaving marks. It is not worth punishing a pet for fear, as well as responding with affection to hysteria. In the first case, the phobia will be spurred on by the fear of punishment, in the second. the animal will begin to use anxiety as a way of pressure. The owner must provide shelter for the dog during a thunderstorm and be completely calm. If your pet constantly barks at thunder, it is recommended to turn on the audio recording of the thunderstorm at a low volume from time to time. It is recommended to entertain the animal with games while listening. The fear will gradually become less acute. If, despite the efforts made, the dog continues to whine and bark during a thunderstorm, you will have to contact a zoopsychologist.
To stop your dog from barking at night, you need to review the walking regimen. If the animal is active at night, then it is not getting enough physical activity. A long evening walk can solve this problem. The “ear” method is no less effective. Sometimes night barking is a consequence of injury or illness, so it will not be superfluous to consult a doctor. Worry cannot be causeless.
Dogs often bark on a chain or in an aviary, especially if the “transfer” was carried out abruptly. In this case, it is worth gradually increasing the time spent in the aviary. It is also recommended to put a bedding in the booth on which the pet slept at home. Often, efforts are in vain: the dog simply cannot adapt to life in the aviary, because it needs to communicate with people. The animal will bark and bite for any reason and even attack the owner. This behavior must be properly assessed and stopped torturing the dog.
How can you stop your dog from barking, whining, or howling at home?
Communication with a pet will be enjoyable if it is trained in the rules of behavior. Rough, poorly controlled animals can cause conflict with neighbors. This is especially true for loud barking. If your pet’s behavior has become a concern, you need to figure out how to wean the dog from barking at home.
How to stop barking for no reason
As already mentioned, barking is a reaction to an irritant, so if your pet barks while eating, in the morning or, conversely, at night, you should see a doctor. Unreasonable barking can be attributed to neurological disease, inflammation and injury.
A person may unknowingly encourage a bad habit. Any reaction, including a negative one, is perceived by the animal as a manifestation of attention. They get used to achieving it in similar ways.
If the dog barks in the street
It happens that while walking, an animal barks at everyone: at birds, at passers-by, at cats, at cars and at children.
If a dog barks at other dogs and passers-by, then it does not trust them. In this case, barking is a preventive measure. The animal tries to scare away the “enemy” and does not want to come into contact with him. Often this reaction is directed at children: dogs perceive their screams and games as aggressive behavior. They bark at cyclists for the same reason. A person racing at high speed is clearly a threat.
In this case, the method of switching attention will be effective. If the owner noticed a potential “victim” of the pet, he should show the dog a treat. Do not give away the treat right away. You need to wave them in front of your nose and ask them to perform a couple of tricks.
It is also necessary to teach the dog the commands “stand” and “be quiet”. Learning should be backed up with praise and goodies. The command “quieter” is recommended to be accompanied by a slight tension of the leash.
If a dog is constantly barking at birds and stray cats, it displays dominant behavior or perceives them as prey. To suppress the hunter’s instincts, the dog must completely obey the owner. But even this does not guarantee one hundred percent success. Some dogs, having gone into a rage, do not accept the commands of the owner. In this case, an electroshock collar comes in handy. Distraction tactics can also be used.
Sometimes dogs bark at other people even at the entrance. You can’t say “fu” to your dog every time it barks. Very soon she will come to terms with the disapproval of the owner and continue to bark at strangers. To break the vicious circle, you need to switch the attention of the animal before it performs the prohibited action. To help control the dog’s impulses, it is recommended to wear the leash above the base of the neck and choose a short length (but not pull).
You can take a treat for a walk and give it after exiting the elevator. You can also radically change your behavior: for example, go down a few flights and then climb back. The dog will be discouraged by such a development by the event and will treat what is happening as a game. This will help set her up in a new way. Most important: do not allow the first “woof”.
In country houses, dogs often bark at passers-by over the fence and cause inconvenience to neighbors. In this case, it is necessary to teach the dog to immediately obey the command “quiet”. The dog should not be allowed to bark at random passers-by. He must understand that the owner is not happy with his behavior. You can give up games and communication with your pet for a while.
After the dog starts barking at the fence, you need to distract its attention, call to you and give a restraining command. It must be given in a stern, decisive voice. Then you can put a muzzle on the pet.
If your neighbor’s dog is source of concern and keeps you awake at night, you will need to take action. First, you need to talk to the owner and try to come to a compromise. You can give some helpful advice and try to find the source of your concern. Some country dogs bark out of boredom. Also, the reason may be increased excitability or uncomfortable temperature outside. You can also ask to keep the dog in the house at a certain time or build a booth for him.
You can use a dog whistle or sound training devices to stop a neighbor’s dog from barking. If the dog reacts violently to movement, it is worth trying to reduce the line of sight and block some areas.
Why do dogs bark
Many owners see barking as a way to communicate. This is not true. Barking is a manifestation of an excited state. Under normal conditions, dogs communicate through guttural sounds or whimpering. If the animal barks, it means that it feels uncomfortable or extremely agitated.
The reasons for barking are:
- Fear. Dogs tend to be proactive, so barking is a demonstration of strength: with the help of loud sounds, the animal warns the attacker that it will not be easy to cope with it. The dog can become defensive by being alone at home. She will begin to bark with fear and feelings of helplessness, masking them with loud sounds.
- Excitation. Barking can be an indicator of state of mind. Animals react differently to the doorbell and other extraneous sounds: it depends on the degree of excitability. Most often, they express panic, joyful excitement, the intention to guard the territory with the same sounds: barking and howling.
- Boredom. Pets often bark and howl in the absence of the owner. This indicates the presence of unused energy. It is recommended to provide the dog with toys and take a long walk before leaving: the tired animal will quickly fall asleep.
- Lack of attention. An abandoned and neglected pet begins to suffer from behavioral disorders. This manifests itself in prolonged barking and other symptoms of nervousness.
- Positive emotions. Barking can signal more than just stress. The pet can bark during the game, before a walk or before the owner arrives. So he shows impatience, delight and excitement.
So that your efforts are not wasted, you need to think carefully about training. Common mistakes include:
- Manifestation of “violent” reaction (positive or negative). Any response is perceived as encouragement.
- Inattention to the animal. Barking often indicates complexes and feelings of uselessness.
- Increased attention to the barking dog. Do not approach a barking dog until it stops talking. Otherwise, she will use barking as a means of manipulation.
- Using prohibiting commands. The animal quickly gets used to the “fu” and “no” commands. Very soon it will stop responding to them and accept the consequences.
- Screaming and nervous behavior. The owner’s excitement is transmitted to the pet.
In the process of training, it is important to consider that the dog does not bark over trifles. Minor causes can be very significant in the animal kingdom. If education does not bring the desired results, it is better to consult a specialist.
How to stop your dog from barking for no reason?
If you have a dog, and it often and for a long time barks for no reason, then for sure it annoys not only you, but also your neighbors, guests, and everyone around you. Is it possible to wean a pet from giving a voice without a reason? You can, if you know some tricks.
How to quickly wean a dog from barking at everyone and for no reason? There are a few simple tricks to help you succeed:
- Teach your pet the “Quiet” command. To do this, every time the dog begins to bark, stop such attempts, while repeating the word “Quiet” or “Hush”. But how to silence the dog? You can pinch his mouth or lightly spray water into his face. Then be sure to praise your pet so that he understands that he did well.
- If your dog barks during anxiety or stress, find a way to calm it down. It can be stroking, affectionate words, a song, and so on. Alternatively, you can try using a proven and almost universal method: squeeze the animal’s ear between your thumb and forefinger. If he stops talking, pat him on the ears, pat him. But if the barking has increased, then, most likely, this method is not suitable for your pet.
- Many dogs often bark at the door. And from this, too, you can wean. Train your dog. With each attempt to bark, stop it (using the methods described in the first paragraph, that is, with water or by closing the mouth). You can also ask your pet to check if everything is in order. When he starts barking, then with the phrase “Let’s go check”, go to the door, show that there is no one there. Next, you can ask the dog to carry out such checks on their own.
Find out the reasons for barking
A dog is an intelligent animal, so it will definitely not bark just like that. The reasons for this behavior can be the following:
- Aggression. Dogs often bark in response to some kind of stimulus, and in this way they show their negative emotions: anger, anger, discontent, and so on. Many people, by the way, also show their aggression by shouting.
- Anxiety. Our smaller brothers also know how to worry, and if it is enough for a person to speak out, then the dog shows alarm by barking. Anxiety can be caused by a variety of factors: strangers (some animals are simply afraid of them), the presence of other dogs, uninvited guests, and so on.
- Stress. If the dog has experienced severe stress, then it may withdraw into itself, become fearful and uncommunicative, or start barking.
- Boredom. Yes, many pets often bark out of boredom, thus drawing attention to themselves.
- Disorder. Almost all loyal pets have this feeling when parting with their beloved owners. Therefore, if your dog barks when you leave the house and leave him alone, then this is how he shows that he is offended by you.
- Jealousy. If you have other animals, the dog may start barking when you care for them.
- Need. If your dog needs something, he can also report it by barking. And it doesn’t matter what it is: food, water, favorite toy, walk or your attention.
The easiest and most effective way to wean a pet from barking is to find out and eliminate its causes. Try to observe your friend and find out in what situations he starts barking, this can be the key to your success and silence.
There are several devices and devices that can also help wean a dog from voice for no reason. Here are some of them:
- Special collars. They work in different ways. Some sprinkle liquid, thereby twitching the pet somewhat. Others are electrocuted. And although the discharge is minimal, it is still noticeable.
- Ultrasonic anti-barking devices. They emit special ultrasonic waves that are very annoying to animals and thus silence them. But it is likely that the pet will simply get used to such an irritant and stop noticing it.
- Muzzle. It will restrict the movement of the mouth and will not let the dog bark, but the animal will be able to breathe normally. Such a device can be worn before a walk so that the pet does not bark at all passers-by.
Some tips for owners of especially noisy dogs:
- If your pet is sexually mature, then the barking can increase during the period of his sexual activity, this is quite common. And in this case, you need to take action: either regularly breed the dog, or castrate the dog (or sterilize the female pet).
- If your pet is simply uncontrollable, barks often and loudly and refuses to obey you, then you should seek help from a professional. an experienced trainer. It will help you figure out the reasons for bad behavior and teach your dog to control emotions.
- In some countries, the removal of vocal cords in animals has recently become popular. But you should not decide on this, it is extremely inhumane and simply wrong in relation to your faithful friend. Barking is his nature, a way of communicating and expressing emotions.
- If the dog is young, then you should not write off everything as age, start acting as soon as possible. Educate her, teach her to be calm. Never encourage barking, but, on the contrary, punish your pet for it. So, you can raise your voice or make it more strict, pull the dog by the collar, close it in another room. Then he will understand that barking is not good. You can also try to ignore the dog, in which case at one point he will simply get tired of giving a voice, because no one pays attention to this.
- The pet is probably missing your attention. Try spending more time with him and you will see how he transforms! Play together, walk more, just talk, pet your pet.
- If the dog often barks at passers-by, then, probably, you paid little attention to its socialization, because of which it is not used to people and treats them wary or even aggressive. In this case, be more often in crowded places, invite guests, that is, show in every way that not all people are dangerous and scary.
- Do not try to mimic the dog or shout even louder, this can make it even more angry.
- If your friend is very anxious, try going to your vet and ask him to prescribe a sedative. This may well help.
- Try to avoid situations that can provoke barking. Avoid starvation, take your pet for walks on time. And if he does not like the sound of the doorbell, then change it or refuse it completely.
Now you can calm your dog and achieve the long-awaited silence.
Very “scary” things and barking
On a walk, the dog sees new, unusual objects and barks at them. This behavior is quite natural for a dog. Strange things attract the attention of dogs, because everything unknown can be dangerous. A barking dog indicates a potential danger. Punishing the dog in this situation is unfair. It is better to demonstrate to her the safety of the item and increase her self-confidence.
A few general tips
1. Find out what is the reason for barking.
2. Try to give your dog encouragement before it barks.
3. Stop the barking so that the situation is not recorded: call the dog, change the direction of movement for a walk.
4. Try to prevent barking when you are not around. Let the TV run at home, or the dog doesn’t have access to what it usually barks at.
Don’t rush the dog!
If you see that the dog is still worried and barking, you are in a hurry. Do this: be with the dog in another room, and let someone else knock on the typewriter. Move in the right direction.
When the stage with blows on the machine is passed, you need to go to take a new height. Now let the machine work, and you treat the dog with a treat for the fact that it does not show signs of anxiety. The main thing is to act gradually, not allowing the dog to cross the threshold of excitement. If this still happened, go back a step, at such a distance that the dog is not afraid.
As a result, you will achieve the fact that being near a working machine, the dog will not show anxiety and bark.
The main reason for dog barking is overexcitation. If you are used to plugging your dog’s mouth with a command or substitution of an irritant (jingle of coins in a tin can), keep in mind that this is a direct way to the production of stress hormones. Even if the dog stops barking, it will be even more overexcited.
How to stop a dog from barking for no good reason January 6, 2010 | Categories: Dog training and education
Any dog does not bark because it wants to test the strength of your nerves. For a dog, barking is a way of communication. If your dog is worried, agitated, frightened, annoyed, or nervous about something, he barks to bring you into the problem. Punishing a dog for barking is not constructive. After all, the problems will not go anywhere, and the dog will no longer be able to “share” with you.
If a dog barks at sounds.
In this case, your main task becomes to change the dog’s attitude to the stimulus. For example, you can use the clicker to mark the moments when the dog is quietly near the turned off washing machine. Clicker clicks and treats go to your pet for just sitting (standing) near the car. This stage is preparatory before accustoming to the noise of a working machine.
Then you need to increase the level, that is, combine in the mind of the dog a blow to the body of the machine and a piece of delicacy. In fact, a normal conditioned reflex is developed, similar to that developed in Pavlov’s dog when treating the dog with a treat after the call. Your dog should have a change in attitude to machine noise. Before this sound frightened or excited her, and now it means expecting something good. So why bark at him?
To achieve these goals, you need to teach the dog to the command “Go check.” You need to find an item at home that she is not afraid of. Let her see you place the object on the ground. Then tell her, “Go check!” In most cases, dogs reach for an object to familiarize themselves with it. Connect the clicker: for every movement of the dog to the object. a click. Further. when the dog interacts with the object. If the dog is slow to reach the object, do not urge him on. Under the pressure of confidence, your goal is not to develop, but to increase the dog’s confidence.
Reasons for a dog to bark
The main objective reasons in connection with which the animal makes sounds are the following:
– joy (for example, when the owner returns home or welcome guests have come);
– stressful situation (finding an animal at home, and even more so in an unfamiliar environment);
– fear (with potential danger);
– desire to attract attention or play.
Where did dogs get the habit of barking?
Scientists conducted a special study, the results of which showed that barking is inherent in most domestic dogs, while their wild relatives are quite silent and rarely make sounds without good reason. Most often, animals bark when they are under the strong care of their owners.
In terms of physiological development, dogs are closest to wolves. If adult individuals of wolves are not fond of extracting sounds, then babies do it quite often. There is a theory according to which modern dogs. These are teenage wolves who have stopped in their development. Hence the assumption why pets bark.
The relationship between breed and “talkativeness”
There is an opinion, confirmed in practice, that small dogs are more “talkative” than larger individuals: the crumbs love to bark loudly and loudly. But, for example, cop dogs are silent, because they need to get close to their prey as quietly as possible, so as not to frighten off the latter. Watchdogs are accustomed to using barking sounds, mainly only to notify the owners of an impending danger or that “strangers” have arrived.
The difference in sounds that a dog makes
Lai bark discord. As a rule, the owners do not go into the “details” of the sounds uttered by the pet. But, if you listen, it is possible, even without special cynological education, to determine the emotional state in which the dog is at the moment. For example, a barking bark that continues for a long time usually indicates that your pet is very scared.
Low-pitched and rough sounds indicate an aggressive mood. A joyful, playful mood can be recognized by the long pauses between barking sounds. In addition, by barking, you can also diagnose the physical condition of the dog. Sick dogs often start making sounds more actively than before.
How to stop a dog from barking for no reason
Barking is a natural way that dogs communicate with each other, and also inform the owner or other dogs that “something is wrong.” Auxiliary methods of canine communication are movement, sniffing, posture, and so on. Let’s find out in more detail why our smaller brothers bark, and how to wean a pet from doing it for no reason.
Ways to wean dogs from barking constantly
Sometimes, in order to wean an adult dog from barking incessantly, collars (the so-called “antilays”) or even surgical cutting of the ligaments can be recommended. Veterinarians still do not recommend until the last resort to such (especially. to the operation). This can be fraught with the emergence of serious complications with the pet’s health: in particular, various inflammations. Barking for no reason is almost always a consequence of improper or insufficient training of the dog. To avoid this problem, it is important to conduct timely socialization of the animal. So to speak, it is necessary to display your pet at a young age. He should not just walk, doing “his business”, but be sure to communicate with other dogs.
Even representatives of dwarf breeds, which, as a rule, do not walk on the street or do it quite rarely, require full development and communication, both with other dogs and people. Dog handlers strongly advise against limiting the life of your four-footed friend to an apartment and a car. Otherwise, do not be surprised that a meeting with any unfamiliar dog will be accompanied by barking barks, or your friend will simply grow up intimidated.
The more information about the outside world and its inhabitants your pet receives in the first months of its life, the more self-confident and, accordingly, calmer it will grow. This means that a tangible part of the problems that you face as an adult dog will automatically disappear. To accustom the baby to a new, of course, you need to gradually, so as not to scare him too much.
From time to time go out to new places where the puppy will communicate with strangers. In addition, you need to accustom the animal to the fact that other people can pet it. The puppy’s attempts to react aggressively to the touch of other people should be stopped, even if those around him are touched by his anger or aggressiveness, attempts to bite. The puppy will probably perceive this behavior as a reward. In this connection, already in adulthood, he will again try to bite strangers or bark when a stranger approaches him.
Educated adult dogs, as a rule, do not bark without reason. Often, when a dog barks without interruption, the owner stops responding to these “signals” as if it were something special. If you do not understand the reasons for the incessant “communication” of an adult dog, it can become a habit in her, from which it is, oh, how difficult it is to get rid of. A dog not used to being at home alone, if left alone, may whine and bark. In this case, it is advisable to think about how to somehow change the regime and not leave the pet alone.
Barking can also become a manifestation of the “guardian instinct”. In this situation, your friend begins to bark, hearing some rustle or voices at the door. Try to divert the attention of your “bodyguard”. You can, for example, close the dog in the back room, play with it, or teach new commands. If the animal tries to resume barking, give a ban command and again lead away from the noisy door. In the case when the barking of the dog is constant and monotonous, the risk of a mental disorder is not excluded. be sure to show the pet to the veterinarian.
Don’t encourage barking. common mistakes owners make
You can fight for silence in your home for years and be the cause of your pet’s barking at the same time, without even realizing it. Absolutely all dogs have an innate instinct of human orientation, that is, if the owner encouraged the act in any way, it means that the four-legged behaved correctly.
If you want to wean your dog from barking in an apartment, follow these guidelines:
- Teach your pet the “Quiet” command, but this will not solve the problem of barking when you leave the house.
- Do not react violently to barking, even negative. Any attention from your side is encouragement.
- Spend more time with your pet. as a rule, barking with or without reason indicates complexes associated with self-doubt.
- If you want to wean your puppy from barking at home, then approach him only after he has stopped talking. If you run to bark, the ward will learn this method of attracting attention and will use it.
- Do not use “Fu” or “No” commands to stop barking.
- Always keep yourself in control, as your overexcited state or screaming only encourages the dog to show emotions.
- You should not stop the dog’s barking if it warns of an attack, for example, on the postman. Your ward behaves honestly, without a hint of pranks, he is ready to attack a stranger and warns about it in advance. The dog gives the “enemy” time to leave the territory untouched. Here we are talking about suppressing aggression and teaching the four-legged self-control.
- Do not return home if your dog barks after you leave. Wait a minute and listen to how long your charge barks. If the dog does not calm down for more than 15 minutes, you will have to resort to one of the methods of stopping barking.
How to stop your dog from barking at home: simple behavioral adjustments
Are you tired of waking up at 6 a.m. from your ward barking? The tailed beast starts a plaintive song every time you leave the apartment, and the neighbors are already making insidious plans against you? Perhaps your pet often wakes up a child resting during the day? Do you have other reasons to stop your dog from barking at home? You have come to the right place anyway. Unfortunately, our four-legged friends do not always have innate skills of social etiquette, but everything can be fixed.
Why do dogs bark?
That’s how they talk, you say. There is some truth in this, dogs do exchange information through guttural sounds, but most often it is a roar or whimper. Barking is a demonstration of an agitated state and has several reasons:
- Fear. the pet barks, showing a passive-defensive reaction. Instinctively, the tailed beast believes that the best defense is an attack, so it barks warning everyone that he is not such an easy prey. Most often, a dog barks out of fear when alone in a house or closed in a confined space.
- Excitement. general anxiety when the doorbell rings, guarding the territory, fear against the background of panic or a violent manifestation of joy, all these circumstances cause emotions in the dog. The degree of manifestation of these emotions depends on the balance of the psyche and upbringing of the animal.
- Boredom. barking with howling, in the absence of owners can be called a direct consequence of boredom. Your ward should be provided with leisure activities when he is alone, for example, buying toys. The second option is to walk the tailed beast qualitatively before leaving, so that it gets tired. Boredom occurs against the background of unused energy, when the pet has the strength to do something, but there is no opportunity.
- The game is the most harmless type of barking, it is considered as a manifestation of emotion, when the pet is allowed to “come off to the fullest”.
Behavior correction techniques
Before starting corrective work, it is advisable to identify the reasons for the excessive emotionality of the ward. If the dog barks for absolutely no reason, while eating, immediately after waking up, at night, you should contact the veterinarian and examine the caudate for inflammation, painful areas, neurological disorders.
Use behavior correction techniques
The annoying barking situation can be solved if you are ready to raise your pet. Immediately, we note that adjusting the acquired skill requires a longer period of time than teaching a new team.
When performing adjustment techniques, you should always remain calm, not show unnecessary emotions either with your behavior or with your voice.
- The dog barks hysterically and cannot calm down. there is one old and proven method to stop arousal. take the dog by the ears, rub or squeeze them slightly. Before using the method, check it in a calm state, if the dog reacted positively, it means that it will react in a state of excitement. The pet will come to a little bewilderment, but will stop barking. As soon as there is silence, encourage the ward and distract him from the object of the biting.
- The pet does not respond to touching the ears, stand up to him and start barking, but louder and more expressively. This method does not work for long, but it will quickly confuse the tailed beast and switch to the game.
- If your guard barks at guests, the distraction method works great. Practice a few simple commands with your dog in front of strangers. Take multiple sets if necessary. Optimally, start the complex with the command “Near” or “To me”, this should focus the pet’s attention on you. You praise the pet, and your friends admire the tailed. the issue is resolved.
- If your pet reacts violently to sounds outside the door, you should also use the third method. However, do not even think to scold the ward for the rule of protective qualities, the reaction to outsiders is normal, violent barking is not normal. Distraction for the game works great, the pet barks, peep with a ball in another room. The dog has come running and ready to play? Excellent!
Take care of your pet while you are away
Most dog owners work or study, which means they cannot physically control their pet around the clock. What to do if the four-legged one behaves in an exemplary manner in your presence, but howls and barks in your absence? There are several options:
Cardinal methods. cutting (removing) the vocal cords
A guaranteed but dangerous method for solving the problem of uncontrolled barking. Cutting the vocal cords is a full-fledged operation, and if you decide to go for this method, you should take into account all the nuances:
- General and prolonged anesthesia has a detrimental effect on the heart of any dog.
- Deep anesthesia always carries the risk of (minimal) complications or death of the animal on the operating table.
- Small dogs, which are often prone to uncontrolled barking, are less tolerant of anesthesia than their larger relatives.
- The operation is difficult to perform both technically and physically. The slightest oversight of the doctor is associated with the risk of damage to the larynx, which is accompanied by severe bleeding.
- A common complication after such surgery is laryngeal edema. At best, the dog will be able to breathe, but will not be able to swallow. In the worst case, the swollen larynx blocks the airway and the dog dies.
- The risk of acquired disorders of mental development. tailed, deprived of one of the methods of communication with the world, suffers morally. It is very difficult to predict the consequences of the operation. Perhaps everything will be fine, or maybe the ward will develop complexes, fear or aggression.
- In rare cases of cutting, rather than removing the ligaments, the voice of the animal is restored, but changes to a lower one. Most often, this “metamorphosis” occurs if the dog was operated on by an inexperienced surgeon.
- After the operation, the pet recovers for a long time and feels a sharp sore throat.
Methods for stopping dog barking
Then, when you have identified the cause of constant barking, let’s move on to eliminating it. Let us mention right away that those options when the incident occurred due to boredom or the dog’s opinion of constant play should not be corrected using the methods discussed below. Most likely, they will still help, but it will be much more rational to just start giving your pet more time and attention. Let’s take a look at the main ways that will solve the problem in the other two situations. Do not be afraid to use them, and the effect can be achieved only when they are used simultaneously.
Exposure to loneliness
Perhaps a dog is even more social than a person. For this reason, loneliness can affect both positively and negatively. As for the mental state, according to experienced breeders, loneliness has a positive effect, especially if she gets used to it, then it will be much easier for you to leave her alone when leaving home, but the main thing is that you can solve the question of how to stop a dog from barking at passers-by. You cannot immediately leave the animal for a long time if you have not done this before. Start leaving for a short time, gradually increasing the time of your absence.
The method implies that you should not pay attention to abnormal behavior of the dog or make a similar appearance. Make your dog believe that you are oblivious to his attempts to draw attention to himself. The method is worth trying if you have tried to train a dog for something, and you do not understand professional training. It is worth mentioning that in this way it is easier to solve the problem, the essence of which is related to how to wean the puppy from barking at people. It will be more difficult to cope with an adult.
Dog barking is not the main method of speaking. often they use other sounds to communicate, such as whining or even roaring. Ordinary barking serves another function, namely, as a means for the expression of the animal’s emotions. Here are the main reasons:
Feeling of fear. As mentioned earlier, barking is precisely a means of expressing the feelings and emotions of an animal, fear is one of the most frequent reasons for the production of such sounds. In such situations, any dog will tend to take a defensive position, and, according to instincts, in order to defend itself, you need to go on the offensive. For this reason, the animal begins to bark, showing these other dogs or, for example, people that she can stand up for herself;
Feeling bored. But fear is not the only reason that the animal begins to bark constantly, it may just be bored. It is worth mentioning that such a feeling can be visited by any individual, and its breed and even gender do not matter. Such barking is very often accompanied by additional sounds, namely a slight howl. This characteristic sign will help you identify the problem and quickly solve it, since such a barking is generally not worth trying to fix by force, just start spending more time with the dog and playing with it more often;
Excitation. Also, we must not forget about the barking, which appears as a result of excessive excitement, and this type of sound is most common. We are talking about situations when the animal is worried about the ringing of the doorbell or the strong approach of passers-by to the owner. Each animal is individual, dogs have a different psyche, which is responsible for the degree of excitement. You can also fight anxiety with early training, but we’ll talk about this a little later.
Five ways to stop a dog from barking
In the life of a novice dog breeder, there are many problems that become something difficult and insurmountable for a person. It’s all about the experience that can only be gained as a result of raising dogs and further studying their behavior. And for beginners, we have prepared this material, from which they can learn about how to wean a dog from barking, but for a detailed consideration of the problem, it is necessary to understand the reason for such deviant behavior of the animal.
Dogs are very friendly animals, they see a lot of ordinary play. Your task is to teach the dog when to play from the very childhood. It is quite difficult to do this, but if you succeed, then questions about how to wean an animal from barking at dogs or at all in a row will definitely not arise. “Punishing” the barking does not make sense, because it can have a bad effect, and it is unlikely that it will be possible to achieve a positive effect. Try training, perhaps it will help in case of problems with an adult.
Identifying the cause of the barking is a mandatory process, we are not talking about the fact that the dog is barking right now, but the problem is noticeable, for example, only for two days, and before that everything was fine (no deviations in your pet’s behavior were observed). The problem can be acute, and the dog barks from sudden pain, more precisely, from the desire to draw the attention of the owner to the problem. This happens in situations where, for example, a dog pricked its paw or suffered from a tick bite. There can be many options, and it is worth paying attention even to such primitive ones as the jam of pieces of bone in the jaw of an animal, because the dog will not be able to clean the teeth from them.
Quiet command training
As mentioned earlier, the “quieter” command will allow you to solve a lot of problems associated with the use of methods, but also we must not forget about the fact that it is suitable as an independent training. Here is the procedure:
- Put on a leash to help the animal concentrate;
- Make the dog start barking (the actions completely depend on the reason, you need to provoke this trigger);
- Shout “quietly” and at the same time pinch the dog’s mouth (in no case do it hurt, everything should be neat);
- Reward your dog if it starts to calm down on its own.
Termination of “barking”
This problem is familiar only to people living outside the city or, for example, in the private sector. Its essence lies in barking at a time when someone is just passing by the house. An unpleasant sound will pester not only neighbors and people passing by, but also you. The problem can be solved only by training. You ask, “So what needs to be done?” In fact, it is not necessary to take the dog to modern training methods, it is enough to ask someone to help you work with the animal.
The help will consist in imitating passers-by (for this reason, the assistant must be chosen not from those people who live in the house, because the dog quite successfully distinguishes a person by the sound of steps and gait). If the dog reacts to the command “quietly” or “place”, then it is worth stopping barking during the movement of passers-by in this way. Otherwise, use force, but don’t overdo it.!
In no case should you wean from barking when knocking on the door, remember about safety. It was only about options when passers-by walk by. Be sure to reward your dog if he stops voicing in such situations, so you will consolidate the result.
Using Bark Control Products
It would be foolish not to mention the more modern ways of stopping the dog’s barking. For this, dog breeders have developed several types of collars, the principle of which is based on different methods of coercion to stop barking. Consider the most famous types of collars:
- Electric shock collar. This device may be effective, but we would not recommend using it from a moral point of view. It is unwise to shock your dog, especially in situations where it is just getting attention or having fun. Of course, the current charge is very small, but not everyone is ready to put this device on their pet;
- Collar with liquid. These collars are suitable for those people who find the previous option inhumane. The essence of such collars is to splash water with a lemon scent. Thus, the dog will be frightened and will draw certain conclusions after some time that the liquid appears only due to barking;
There are a large number of other devices that correct barking, but, in our opinion, it is better to use the above methods than rely on technological methods.