What exactly can not be done
Let’s start from the opposite, and first of all consider the mistakes that inexperienced dog owners often make:
- Mutual abuse. Yelling at a dog when it barks at home does not mean to calm it down, but rather to provoke it even more. Especially when it comes to aggressive breeds, in whose blood to prove their case. If you decide to get a dog, be patient and learn to maintain STIHL.
- Occasional training. You can only train your dog not to bark at home during regular training. If you only occasionally make Комментарии и мнения владельцев, the pet simply will not take them seriously, or will not remember at all.
- Physical violence. Beating is inadmissible in principle. First, it is not humane. Secondly, in this way you will not arouse the desire to obey in the dog, but only develop fear and latent aggression.
- Комментарии и мнения владельцев without clarifying the reason. If your pet starts barking, first find out why he is doing it. Maybe he wants to play, or maybe robbers are trying to get into the house. Reproaches just like that can discourage any desire to protect you, but you do not want the dog to turn into a decorative ornament.
- Do not follow the pet’s lead. Dogs have a huge number of qualities that humans have, including cunning. If the dog is trying to manipulate you, and with the help of barking to beg a piece of meat from the plate, in no case do not give in. In the future, he will do this manipulation constantly.
Tired, want to take a break? Order a dog walk!
If you want to teach your pet to be quiet, first carefully study the tactics of behavior and methods of training.
Where did the habit of barking come from??
In the course of research, a theory was put forward. a variety of shades of bark are used only by domestic dogs. Wild tribesmen resort to this method of communication with each other only in rare cases.
If we talk about wolves. the closest relatives of domestic dogs, it is interesting to observe that adults do not use barking for communication. But wolf babies communicate in this way willingly and use many shades of barking. The researchers conclude that domesticated dogs are like wolves, adolescent, stunted and dependent on humans.
Why does a dog bark at passing cars?
Interestingly, not all dogs come to mind to bark and rush into a car. The exact reason why this happens is unknown, for the most common versions they sound like this:
- a car, bicycle or other moving and rumbling object appears to the dog as a living being. It is frightening and elicits a response in the form of loud noises and aggressive behavior;
- dogs don’t like spinning, rubbery wheels;
- the main reason for barking sounds is wheel creaking, engine growling, motorcycle crashing.
Many people think that barking and chasing vehicles is a favorite pastime of mongrels. This is not true. Absolutely all breeds, yard dogs, are filled with ecstasy with barking and throw themselves under the wheels. And the reasons for this behavior lie, most likely, in fear, improper socialization, a possible nervous breakdown.
How to stop a dog from barking when you leave
No matter how much we love our beloved pets, none of us is ready to listen to their deafening gratuitous barking for hours or, worse, howl.
And imagine what emotions these sounds evoke in our neighbors, who may not have any warm feelings at all either for animals in general, or for our dog in particular? But we are forced to listen to all this cacophony, the fire, how much in vain and the source of the sound, and its owners.
What to do if your dog breeds roulades and arias when he is alone at home?
Experts who understand the intricacies of canine psychology recommend starting by finding out the reason for this behavior. Simply by removing the symptoms (for example, with the help of an electronic anti-barking collar or even by cutting the vocal cords. they also practice this), we will only drive the problem deeper.
Animal psychologists identify four main reasons for a dog’s barking when it is left alone. Each reason has its own way of solving the problem.
Cause Severe stress from a change of scenery
Dogs are very sensitive to any change in their usual circumstances.
Moving to another apartment, the appearance of another pet on their territory (or the addition of an animal to someone else’s territory), a sharp change in your schedule. all this can deprive the dog of confidence in its safety and well-being.
Separation Anxiety: Does your dog go crazy when you leave? Here’s what to do!
If the dog has a strong character, and is generally quite resistant to all kinds of stimuli, such changes are unlikely to make him nervous. But if your pet is prone to being overly emotional, you may have trouble barking and howling.
In order for the dog to stop stunning its neighbors, you need to calm it down. If your dog is worried about changing housing, do not leave him alone in the new apartment the next day. Try to spend some time with your dog before leaving. Plan the move so that you have several days off ahead, which will be enough for the dog to understand that now everyone lives here, and not she alone, which they decided to leave here.
Problems can also arise with a sharp change in your lifestyle. If you used to be at home almost all the time, and now go to work for the whole working day, the dog may panic. Try to arrange at work to be able to work half a day at first. this will make it easier for the dog to adapt to your absence from home.
Get your households, friends and relatives to help. Let someone stay with the dog at least for a short time at first.
Cause the dog is afraid of being abandoned
A common problem among sheltered dogs, abandoned by their previous owners, picked up on the street.
Having experienced a strong shock in their lives, such animals in most cases become very strongly attached to their new owners. At the first stages of living together with a person, such attachment can be downright painful. the dog on the street constantly clings to its feet, fearing to get lost and again lose care and a warm corner.
There are often cases when the owners simply cannot leave the dog for a minute. she starts a real hysteria.
Over time, all these problems go away. Some dogs calm down after a month or two, others need six months. everything is very individual. Again, a lot depends on the sensitivity and temperament of the dog.
How to teach an injured dog to be calm about temporary separation from you?
You need to let her know that you are leaving for a short time, and you will definitely return.
This exercise is helpful. Get ready, dress so that the dog sees that you are going somewhere, and leave. Just not far. In the most difficult cases, a five-minute wait at the entrance is enough (just not under the door. the dog is listening to you behind it). Go down to another floor and stay there for a short time. Come back, praise the dog, talk to him. After a while, repeat the exercise, gradually increasing the time of your absence.
This is not a very easy and convenient way. But this is the only way your dog will understand that nothing threatens her with your departure. you have not forgotten her and left her, as once happened in her life. You are a different, real Master who will never leave his dog.
Cause The dog has a lot of unspent energy
Are your walks with the dog reduced to ten minutes of stomping along the same path near the house? Do not be surprised if your dog, out of boredom, begins to try himself in the role of a siren.
Yes, with such an attitude to walking, you risk not only the discontent of neighbors, but also gnawed shoes, wires, furniture and other “delights” of keeping a dog that is not given due attention.
The best way is not to have a dog of active, temperamental, demanding breeds. If you do not have time and opportunities for a full walk, choose calm dogs. pug, Pekingese, poodle, mastino.
But if you have already acquired a “live”, take the trouble to devote time to it. If you do not have the opportunity to spend an hour on a walk, make your walks with the dog more intense. make the pet move more, follow various commands (mental load is also very important). Get a puller. a great way to give your dog a load without spending any effort. If possible in your city, try taking your dog to exercise on a treadmill.
A dog’s natural fatigue is the best way to keep the house calm. And be sure to buy special toys for dogs for your pet. balls, cotton ropes, latex traps and rings. The presence of such toys does not guarantee you STIHL, but it significantly increases the likelihood that the dog occupied with them will not arrange vocal tests for your neighbors.
Perhaps the most difficult case. Often barking and howling dogs, prone to dominant behavior, try to insist on their own. For them, this is a kind of game with the owner in “who will win?”.
Asserting its leadership, the dominant dog will bark until it gets what it wants. And having received, he will learn a lesson: “You need to bark, and then everything will be my way”.
Do not encourage! Often the owners make the following mistake. by punishing the dog, in fact, they approve of its behavior. For example, you close the door behind you, and after taking a step towards the elevator, you hear “” Awff Awff Awff. ” You turn around, open the door and start reprimanding the dog for its behavior. But it only seems to you that you are acting like a strict educator. The dog develops a completely different logical series: I bark. he comes. I’m great, I will force everyone to obey.
In this situation, you need to work in two directions at once. First, it is necessary to engage in the prevention and correction of dominant behavior in the dog. Secondly, to use special means. here the electronic collar “Antilay” may even come in handy. Its essence boils down to the fact that the dog gets unpleasant sensations (light electrical discharge) every time it starts barking.
But Antilai is by no means a panacea. Many dogs quickly figure out what’s what and stop barking only when they are wearing a collar. As soon as you lose your guard and forget to put it on, the “songs” return. In addition, such a collar can in itself become a strong stress factor, especially if the dog is already prone to excessive stress. It is strongly not recommended to wear “Anti-bark” for a long time, when you cannot control the condition of the dog in any way.
In any case, whatever the reason for the dog’s barking, you will have to be patient and work to fix the problem. If you cannot do this on your own, contact an experienced dog handler or zoopsychologist for help.
And finally, a funny video with a dog playing a Christmas song.
Let your pet only please you with its musical abilities!
A man and a dog have coexisted side by side for a very long time, having learned to communicate without words. Dogs understand the words of the owner, or rather the intonation with which they are pronounced. Or, in the process of living together, a reflex is developed to a particular word. But dogs, too, “talk.” One of the manifestations of their talkativeness is barking, which usually very annoys both the owner and others. From the article you will learn: why dogs bark, are there differences in the sounds they make, and what purpose they are pursuing.
Briefly about the main
Day and night, on a walk and at home, in a small apartment and in a spacious house. the barking of a dog can be heard wherever and whenever. Why does a dog bark if there is no apparent reason?
In fact, a pet will never speak if there is no reason for it. Barking for a dog is like speech for a person. a way of expressing thoughts and emotions in relation to the world around.
My Dog Barks When I Leave Her Alone! Watch Me Train Her To Stop!
Herbal and melatonin supplements with a calming effect can be used to calm hyperactive pets who are not helped by even an active walk. Supplements are made on the basis of chamomile, valerian and other herbs, with the addition of melatonin, which suppresses the functions of the gonads of animals. You can use drugs only after consulting a veterinarian.
Reasons why the dog is voicing:
Temperament. The “talkativeness” of a quadruped often depends on its breed. For example, Basenji, Mastiffs, Saluki and Akita Inu are not too “verbose”, but border collies, bloodhounds and shepherds bark quite often.
Emotional excitement. Joy, delight, fear, fright, panic. any strong feelings, both positive and negative, make your pet bark.
Lack of attention. The dog can invite you to play or invite you for a walk.
Loneliness. A dog sitting at home all day often “entertains” itself, and at the same time its neighbors, by barking.
A friendly greeting. Barking joyfully, the animal expresses its respect. over, the dog can “greet” in this way both with the owner and with other dogs.
Protection and security of the territory and the owner. A dog can react excitedly to both real and non-existent danger when, for example, someone just walks by your door.
Deficiency of movement and physical activity. If the dog is active by nature, but they do not study enough with it, they walk a little, it means that it will definitely bark loudly in order to use up excess energy.
The desire to show who is the boss. With the help of barking, the dog tries to manipulate its owners and take a leading position in the family.
Why does a dog bark on its tail?
And if the dog does not chase cats, does not bark at itself in the mirror or into the void, but gives signals, while looking at its tail? What does this behavior indicate? There may be several reasons:
This behavior must be taken seriously and be sure to find out the reason for the barking on the tail.
Perhaps it’s all about boredom, or maybe the dog has worms or a serious illness.
How to stop a dog from barking
And sometimes this loudness becomes the reason that people, under the onslaught of complaints from neighbors or their own insomnia, are forced to abandon their four-legged friend, because no matter how much you scold for excessive “talkativeness”, everything is useless.
However, there are ways to stop a dog from barking in vain, and now we will tell you about them.
Why do dogs bark a lot??
It so happens that as soon as the guests call the intercom, the dog living in the apartment goes into hysterical barking and does not stop talking until they come and stay in the apartment for some time. Also, the dog can show violent emotions, staying alone at home.
In fact, there are usually two reasons for unrestrained barking in dogs: a lack of communication and new information, as well as an imbalance of character (that is, excessive emotionality), and the root of these reasons is the same. self-doubt and the resulting fear.
This situation always arises through the fault of the owners. “But we do not like our souls in our dog and are ready to do everything to make him feel good!” many will object. But, giving the pet endless love, they forget that they are dealing with a creature with their instincts and needs, which are often very different from human ones.
Do not forget that a dog is a gregarious and deeply hierarchical creature. Each pack always has a leader. the strongest, the smartest, the most successful in the hunt, the one who bears responsibility for each member of the pack, so that they feel safe. However, at the same time, the leader enjoys many privileges: he eats his prey first (while others have no right to approach him closer than 10 meters), he chooses the best female for himself and, of course, none of the members of the pack has the right to challenge his decisions. And if someone wants to do this, he will have to prove his superiority by accepting the battle. At the same time, you need to understand that subordinates do not feel humiliated in relation to the leader. On the contrary, knowing that there is someone who provides them with protection and sustenance, who makes the decisions, they feel STIHL and comfort. And all this is inherent in every dog at the genetic level. be it a giant St. Bernard or a tiny Chihuahua.
The human family in which a dog lives is its flock, at least that is how it perceives its people. Growing up, the puppy tries to determine its place in this pack. And if he sees a strong and self-confident person who can always insist on his own, without resorting to cruelty, the tailed teenager happily swears allegiance to him. However, if people spoil the puppy since childhood, satisfy all his “want”, treat him delicious and do not stop lisping with him, then there can be two options: either the dog decides that he is the leader, or he cannot determine his place in the pack (if punishment alternates with pampering, which happens most often). In the first case, growing up, he simply ceases to take into account the needs of the owners and begins to dictate his conditions to them, and in the second he becomes nervous and insecure. Often, especially in small breed dogs, this is expressed in excessive “verbosity”. That is, by barking, they show dissatisfaction with the owners, whom they consider to be their subordinates, or, not having a strong leader next to whom they can rely on, they are afraid of everything in the world and express their insecurity in the form of hysterical and often aggressive barking.
It’s never too late to change this situation.
Take control of your dog.
Sometimes it is enough for a dog to feel a strong hand to stop being nervous from the arrival of guests. Strong means not cruel, but confident.
Try this exercise. Ask someone you know to ring the doorbell or intercom, or make some noise on the stairs, that is, create the irritant to which the dog reacts violently. Before that, take the pet on a leash (no harnesses!), Moving the collar closer to the head, under the throat. there is a more sensitive place, and the dog will feel more fully contact with you, which will give her confidence. A slip loop collar works well for this exercise. If, during a call or a noise, the dog tries to voice, pull the leash sharply and briefly so that he feels discomfort on his throat. This will tell him your displeasure. At the same time, keep yourself calm and confident, in no case be nervous and do not fuss. dogs are excellent empaths and instantly adopt the mood of the owners.
Raising a puppy
The sooner the owner starts training and raising the puppy, the easier it will be to communicate with the dog in the future, not only for him, but for all family members. You should pay attention to the following points:
- The puppy should take your commands from one word. As for barking, you can prohibit it by using the commands “quiet” or “fu” (some prefer the long “no”).
- It is believed that positive reinforcement is the most effective way that allows the owner to achieve their goals. How it works: When the command is executed correctly, the dog receives a reward in the form of a treat.
If the dog is silent, it should be encouraged. This will gradually form in her an understanding that it is good and pleasant to obey the owner.
Usually the dog barks to get attention. The owner should pay attention to situations when the puppy starts barking without stopping. They are usually associated with two points:
- Manifestation of joy. The owner was gone for a long time, or guests came. In this case, you should suppress unwanted barking using the methods described above.
- The emergence of a stressful situation. For example, a puppy barks at the door when you leave him alone in the apartment. In such cases, the most effective measure will be to minimize the risk of such circumstances occurring and gradually accustom the puppy to the need to remain alone. In this case, the owner (and his neighbors) should simply be patient.
How to stop a dog from barking?
Barking is a dog’s natural way to attract the attention of its owner. But what to do when the dog literally does not shut up and this behavior bothers not only you, but also the neighbors? Do not worry: you can wean not only a puppy, but also an adult dog from barking. The main thing in this matter is patience and the right action.
When an adult dog appears in the house with its habits and an already formed character, the owner should understand that training is possible, but it will require more time and patience than if it were a puppy. The basic working principles are the same as with the puppy. This is the training of the dog to follow the commands of the owner through positive and negative reinforcement of behavior.
An important point: sometimes to wean adult dogs from barking, it is recommended to use such devices as special collars “anti-barking”, and may also advise surgical trimming of the ligaments. Doing this is strongly discouraged, since in the latter case it is fraught with health problems of the dog, up to inflammation.
The owner should understand that with patience and affection he can achieve the desired result much more efficiently than using any punishment.
How to stop a dog from barking?
Often dog owners ask such questions: “The dog is constantly barking or barking for no reason. What to do? ”,“ Why does a dog bark at passers-by and cyclists? ”,“ Why does a dog bark at night? What to do?” In this article we will answer these questions and look at some tips on how to wean a dog from barking.
Bark for the dog. the same natural occupation as picking up any prey from the ground in the street. Most often, the dog barks during moments of strong emotional experience. fear, joy or anger. Barking is often caused by an inactive lifestyle. A dog that walks (runs) a lot and productively barks much less. The more energy the dog spends on a walk, the less activity it will be at home.
How to stop a dog from barking at home?
The dog barks in the apartment for various reasons: when the door is opened, when he is left alone, when he wants to walk. First, try to understand why or what the dog is barking at. If a dog barks in an apartment for no apparent reason, including at night, go up to him and give the command “fu”. If the dog continues to bark, give a stern “fu” command and slap your palm on the rump. Use the command and increase the force of the slap until the dog obeys.
If the barking starts in response to sounds of a door opening or footsteps outside the door, the dog should be punished for barking. When the doorbell rings, the dog must distinguish whether it is his own or someone else’s outside the door. If strangers and you want the dog to bark at strangers outside the door, the dog needs to be praised for barking. If you want the dog not to bark at all in the house, then prohibit it in any case.
The most important thing in this process is consistency. If at least once you ignore the barking, then weaning will be delayed, and in some cases you will even have to start all over again.
To consolidate the result, you can ask a friend to walk outside the door. As soon as barking is heard, forbid the dog. Continue until the dog learns to hold back.
Dogs often bark when they are alone at home, and this causes inconvenience to neighbors. To avoid conflicts, you should disaccustom the dog to bark in your absence. Remember that a dog is an animal and cannot be comforted like a child. If the dog starts barking when you close the door, open the door and give a stern “fu” command. Close the door and wait a little, if barking is heard again, open the door and punish more severely, as described in our article above. When closing the door, step back a little and wait 15-20 minutes for the dog to practice endurance. Increase the holding time gradually.
How to stop a dog from barking at passers-by?
The first step is to understand why dogs bark at people. Most often, a dog barks at people when it senses danger or protects its owner and his property. If you want your dog not to bark at people on walks, you need to properly practice the “fu” command. You can start with this technique. Tie your dog in a yard where there are a lot of people walking and stay close to her. As soon as the dog barks, give the command “fu”. Then continue education as described above, constantly increasing the force of punishment.
It is also worth working out the endurance. It is necessary to give the command to “lie down” and not to let stand up without a command. Then ask a friend to walk around and provoke the dog to bark. Let your friend walk calmly. As soon as the dog starts barking, say “fu” strictly, and do not let the dog get up. So the endurance will work out.
The same method can be used to stop a dog from barking at cyclists. To do this, let your friend ride a bike past you with a dog.
Raising a dog requires consistency and endurance from the owner. We hope that our tips on how to wean a dog from barking will help you to establish silence in the house in a short time. Be patient and you will have a great relationship with your pet, and it is easier to keep the peace with your neighbors.
How to stop a dog from barking
In order to wean a dog from barking, you need to:
- Do not leave your puppy indoors for a long time. the puppy alone does not feel comfortable and begins to bark and howl out of boredom or fear.
- Train your puppy to stay calm when friends or guests come to visit.
- If your puppy, upon seeing you, starts barking happily. do not pay attention to him, do not caress him, do not treat him to snacks. All this you can do only after your puppy calms down.
You don’t need to yell at your puppy, you don’t need to physically punish him for excessive fun. Your actions, such as causing pain to the puppy and your loud cry, you will not achieve the desired result and, most importantly, your puppy will not learn anything.
If your puppy barks for a long time, go up to him and, not paying attention to the barking, distract his attention with toys, play with him, i.e. channel his energy in a different direction. Usually, the puppies immediately calm down and enjoy playing with the owner.
If your puppy stops barking and turns all his attention to you, you can immediately start repeating the commands of the Obedience course with him and reward him for the correct execution of the commands.
Barking in dogs. How to stop barking
Barking in dogs is a natural phenomenon. Some dogs do not bark, howl and whine all the time, but only at certain times or under certain conditions.
Others bark when the owner, other people or animals appear, while the owners do not mind if their puppy warns about the approach of other people to his house or about another possible threat to their beloved owner.
But when the puppy starts to bark excessively and constantly, it becomes a real problem. In reality, weaning a puppy from barking is an almost impossible task, but the owner may well learn to control the barking of his dog.
The simplest solution to the problem is to teach your puppy to bark only on command.
Causes of groundless barking in dogs
Try not to leave your puppy with children for a long time. they can provoke barking in a puppy.
Another good way to stop your puppy barking is to pretend that you are preoccupied with something, looking for something. again distract your puppy’s attention. At the same time, you can make several unusual sounds. click your tongue, whistle, clap your hands.
Be creative. The main thing here is to distract the puppy’s attention from its activity. barking and howling and switch it to your actions.
If all of these methods do not work, then you should seek the advice of a professional trainer or veterinarian. your puppy may be sick.
What to do if your dog whines when left alone at home?
Pet whine is an unpleasant experience for both the breeder and the neighbors. How to stop a puppy or dog from whining when you leave home and at night?
Unknowing owners believe that “crying” may be unreasonable, but this is a wrong opinion. Bad behavior depends on upbringing, anxiety of the dog, or is it another way to attract a person’s attention.
How to wean a puppy from whining at night and during the day? Dog handlers tips
A toddler or adult dog does not whine for no reason. Having determined the reason why the pet whines, we select the appropriate way to fix the problem:
- To wean the puppy from whining at night, it is worth equipping a sleeping place next to the owner so that the dog does not feel lonely. Transfer to a permanent place in two or three days.
- Place a heating pad wrapped in a blanket next to the puppy.
- For the first couple of weeks, devote a large amount of time to the pet, walk, play, arrange a normal life emotionally.
- If the baby continues to whine, use the “Fu”, “No” command every time the howl starts. Young dogs learn quickly, after 3-4 days the effect is visible.
- You can wean a puppy to whine when he is alone, you can consistently. Let the animal know where it belongs and leave it alone for about 5 minutes. Increase the intervals every day, and if the baby resists in every possible way, return to the place and repeat the command in a calm, firm voice. Before parenting, exhaust your dog for a walk. When the puppy is doing everything right, do not forget to give praise and treats.
There is no need to physically punish or shout, so you will only disturb the psyche of the animal. Do not babysit and do not run at the first call, do not fulfill all whims, do not take the puppy to bed, show who is in charge in the house, otherwise it is much more difficult to cope with upbringing.
Why do animals whine?
Faced with a problem, do not scold, much less use physical violence against an animal. There are humane ways to stop whining, but first of all, you need to determine the reason:
- To attract attention. Often the pet becomes bored, he begins to demand a walk, a tasty treat, a toy, the caress of the owner. Even if you shout, hit, the dog will still achieve what he wants (he got attention). This technique is more often used by small breeds.
- Disease. Whimpering is accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, passivity, lack of appetite, tearing, constipation. a serious reason to contact your veterinarian.
- Physical trauma. Howling is a natural reaction to fractures, bruises, serious abrasions, cuts, and any manifestations of pain. In this case, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
- Loneliness. The owner is rarely at home, devotes little time to the pet, leaving one in an apartment, yard, aviary or on a chain, and there is also no frequent communication with his own kind. Perhaps the four-legged friend has nothing to do, so he whines alone.
- Need for a toilet. We didn’t take the dog for a walk, she urgently needs to relieve herself on the street, because it is already becoming problematic to endure.
- Fear, fear. The reason may be the aggressive behavior of another animal, a visit to a veterinarian, a trip in transport (car, train, plane, etc.), a change in the environment, individual phobias of the animal.
- An apology for wrongdoing. If it is not yet clear that the dog broke or broke, the whining is accompanied by a guilty look and ears pressed to the head. Similar behavior occurs, but not in all individuals.
- Delight. The manifestation of joy from meeting the owner after a long separation, whines before a walk, eating or something else. Can be combined with jumping, barking and running around objects, people.
- High emotionality. The dog expresses feelings this way.
- Bitches can whine during pregnancy and during childbirth.
- Violation of the mental state. The above items are not suitable, but the animal whines at any time of the day (in the mornings, days, nights).
Unlike an adult dog, a puppy has several additional reasons for this behavior:
- Separation from family. From birth, the baby talked with his mother, sisters, brothers, with other people. A sudden change in scenery, loneliness is a serious stress. Do not scold the puppy, this reaction does not last long.
- Unknown. New conditions, feeding, owners and rules also cause discomfort to the baby, in the first days there is howling. this is natural.
How to wean an adult dog?
It is advisable to teach the dog the correct behavior from a young age, but if for a number of reasons this is not feasible (a dog from a shelter, taken from friends, picked up on the street, etc.), then you can correct the behavior of an adult dog at any time, but you should be patient. The training will take from 2 to 4 weeks, the bad habit may return in 6-9 months, but the re-correction of behavior will last about 3-4 days.
In most cases, problems, like howling and whining, appear due to poor upbringing and unwillingness to deal with the animal. Other reasons may indicate emotional instability and health problems. Under these circumstances, it is better to entrust work with a dog to experienced specialists, dog handlers and veterinarians, especially if a small child is in contact with it.
The following methods will help breeders get rid of the unpleasant sounds that their dog makes during loneliness or at night:
- If the owner is going to be away for a long time, you need to increase the walking time by about an hour and slightly increase the amount of feed. A pet is unlikely to want to howl if he is well-fed and tired. With dry food, the constant presence of a bowl of water is important, otherwise the dog will feel discomfort.
- Give the animal the opportunity to spend time interestingly in the absence of a person. Buy a scratching post and several toys that squeak or give a favorite treat. This will take the dog a fair amount of time and will not make any unpleasant sounds.
- If possible, get another animal, dog or cat. In the company of their own kind, the pet will feel calmer. And if you already have a cat, and you do not know how to reconcile them, then you will find everything you need here.
- If the dog whines in front of the owner, thus trying to lure out a treat or affection, he is taken to another room and the door is locked. When the pet is calm and quiet, you can release. This will teach him that next to the owner you need to behave correctly.
- To disaccustom a dog to whine when you leave the house, you need to be calm and not communicate with it during training, not pay attention to its dissatisfaction. After returning, do not notice her joy at your arrival, ignore jumping and happy barking. Communicate with your pet after you redo all the cases. This shows superiority over the dog, because the owner decides when to play with him.
- If your ward whines while you are at work, it is worth taking a walk in the morning or, if this is not possible, finding a trusted person who would do it, but this option is not the best.
- Traveling by car or train is stressful for a pet if it is not used to it. Limit your view from the window and in a stern calm voice say the command “Fu” or “Place”. You should practice driving more often or try to avoid such experiences altogether.
- Encourage when everything is done right and she is quiet.
Three steps to stop a dog from whining alone when he is alone at home:
- “Explain” that when the owner leaves the house, he soon returns. You need to leave the dog for 5-10 minutes in a room with the door closed alone, return and spend some time with him. Gradually increase the absence to 30 minutes or more. The animal will get used to the thought that he is not abandoned and soon he will see you.
- Next, you should open the door of the room, but prohibit leaving from behind the threshold. If the dog tries to get out, howls and expresses dissatisfaction, say the command “Place” in a strict tone.
- The last stage of getting rid of the howling in the absence of the owner is leaving the house through the front door for 3-5 minutes. If the pet tears down the door, whines, barks and shows displeasure, return and scold. Repeat 10-15 times, gradually increasing the time of the dog’s loneliness. It will wean you from whining alone.
Nuances to consider when choosing a four-legged friend:
- mixed breeds are often unpredictable;
- Huskies love to howl (it’s much more difficult to wean them off);
- pugs grunt and snore in their sleep;
- ridgebacks, sherpies, greyhounds and deerhounds are silent.
For the process to be successful, perform a number of necessary steps:
- Walks should be active and last at least 1-2 hours, filled with training, learning commands and communicating with others like you. This will exhaust the four-legged friend and, instead of howling or unwanted actions, he will go to sleep, rest.
- Leave toys at any age. They will protect slippers and wires from danger, strengthen the gums and allow you to calm down. Also get a scratching post, it will take it for a long period of time.
- The use of an electric shock collar is strictly not allowed. It sends out a light shock when the animal barks, growls, whines or howls. But the accessory sometimes does not work properly: when eating, yawning, swallowing, showing activity (running, rapid breathing). Pain for no apparent reason, will lead to nervous disorders.
- Clipping the vocal cords is a bad idea that solves the howling problem for neighbors, but abnormal behavior will remain. The dog may begin to express them differently, but it is not known how. The operation is costly, dangerous, and there have been fatalities. Failure to communicate your needs to a person will lead to serious psychological distress.
It is also advisable to abandon physical punishment that will not give the desired effect. The dog will not understand cruel treatment, get angry with people, will stop letting them come to him. Many people say that the pet corresponds to the owner: the dog will return aggression as a defense to aggressive human behavior.