Why it is imperative to wean your dog from this habit
In modern cities, the main reason is one. dog hunters. As soon as the dog eats even a piece of the poisoned bait, the problems will not be long in coming. That’s just the tricks of doghunters. not the main danger that threatens a dog who loves to rummage in garbage.
A dog may well swallow a sharp piece of bone or an ordinary plastic bag, from which sausages smell so delicious. Such gastronomic addictions often lead either to a blockage of the intestines, or to its perforation (in other words, a hole appears in the intestines).
And dogs, constantly picking up litter on walks, have every chance of earning chronic pathologies of the digestive system. This is easily explained by the fact that after a good feed the dog can pick up, for example, a piece of bacon that has come out well in the trash. If the animal is young and healthy, its body can still cope with the load, but in other cases, problems begin with the stomach, intestines, liver and pancreas. But dogs cannot build such complex causal relationships, and therefore they continue to pick up all kinds of nasty things while walking.
Training and more training
From the same “opera”. any dog from a young age needs to be trained. To prohibit the dog from taking anything on the street, it is necessary that he knows the commands “Can” and “Fu” (as well as “Do not”, “Throw” or similar).
You need to start training with the command “You can”: for this, the pet is seated in front of a bowl of food and held for a couple of minutes. After that, you need to clearly and clearly say: “You can”, letting the dog go to food. After a couple of weeks of regular repetition, the dog will understand that you can start eating only after the owner’s approval. Even on the street, having seen something especially attractive on the ground, the animal will first look at the owner in order to understand his reaction.
Of course, every dog should also know the “Fu” command, as it can save his life or health. She is trained by observing the puppy: if he is going to do something undesirable, they say loudly: “Fu”, after which they try to distract the pet. You cannot use physical force in this case, but you can slightly pull the dog up by the collar. But on a walk, you can and should sharply pull up the dog with a harness, strictly and clearly pronouncing “Fu”.
It will not be superfluous to recall the method described in the Soviet recommendations for dog handlers. So, we need:
All work should be carried out after putting on sterile gloves and wiping them with alcohol! This is necessary so that the dog does not smell the owner.
From plasticine, you need to make something like a miniature “cheburek”, pouring the “striking composition” inside and carefully sealing the hole. After that, the bait is wrapped in minced meat and the dog is “guided” at it during a walk. If everything is done correctly, the pet will experience “unforgettable” sensations, and next time it will not rush so recklessly on the “tasty” street garbage. For the sake of prevention, this technique can be repeated from time to time.
5 proven ways to wean your dog from picking up stuff from the ground
We are unlikely to be mistaken, assuming that every dog breeder used to have his pets pick up all sorts of nasty things on the street. And how much fun it is for a dog, picking up a stinking bone, to jump around the owner. Today we will discuss 5 proven ways to wean a dog from picking up all sorts of nasty things from the ground!
Education is the key to success
All breeders’ experience, despite some disagreements on private issues, agree on one thing. dogs of all breeds need to be brought up, and this should be done starting from a very young age. Simply put, bringing a puppy to the house, you need to deal with him from the first days.
In this case, this means that the pet must get used to the fact that it can only eat from the hands of the owner, or from his own bowl. And that’s all. A dog accustomed to order will not rush into tasty-smelling garbage even on the street.
No matter how good everything is in theory, a pet, once on the street, can immediately forget everything from an abundance of new impressions. So that something unpleasant does not happen, practical training is necessary, with the help of which an unconditioned reflex is formed in the pet’s brain, which prohibits him from picking up any garbage while walking.
So how to be ?! You need to scatter around your house (but better. in some fenced area) more “taste baits”. During a walk, you need to accidentally enter this site. After that, you need to observe the behavior of the pet, while practicing the command “Fu”.
We are in a hurry to dispel the rosy mood of novice breeders. do not even hope that everything will work out the first time. Only regular and constant training with the dog can develop the necessary behavioral pattern. In the case when constant training has reached the goal, the training needs to be complicated by letting the pet go to the site without a leash. Ideally, you need to ensure that the dog does not even think to pick up anything from the ground, even if the owner is not looking at him!
Attention! It is strictly forbidden to encourage a pet that has successfully completed the task with the same delicacies. In a dog’s brain, it should clearly be deposited that nothing can be eaten from the ground on the street!
For severe cases. exceptional measures
It happens that the pet comes across especially “die-hard” and “unbreakable”. How to be in these cases? First, do not despair and continue to practice commands and correct behavior. Practice shows that training pays off over time.
But in such cases it is better to refuse free walking (at least for that period until the dog has learned all the rules). In addition, we strongly recommend using a muzzle, and if the dog is strong. also a strict collar. Do not just overdo it with physical measures: the pet is pulled only when it shows interest in garbage.
How to wean a dog from eating off the ground and immediately help with poisoning
In connection with the increase in the number of aggressive stray dogs and their attacks on people, “dog hunters” (translated from English. dog hunters) have become more active. They destroy dogs by scattering poisoned baits. Not only stray dogs suffer from this, but also pets. In addition, a child can pick up the poisoned bait. What to do in such a situation and how to wean a dog from eating off the ground?
When your beloved dog eats trash in the park, a “trash can” often becomes an unpleasant consequence. And that’s a good script! All sorts of dangers lie in wait for dogs: from rat poison and stones to daffodil bulbs. the pet owner must protect his dog from himself. Most often, primitive dogs, hunting dogs and mongrels are picked up on the street, but no one is insured. And, of course, you need to know what to do if the dog eats something from the ground.
Mechanically dangerous items
In addition, doghunters scatter pieces of meat or sausage with razor blades, needles, or small fish hooks inside. Also, the dog can pick up spoiled food, a plastic bag or sharp bird bones, which can also lead to acute food poisoning, intestinal perforation (a bone fragment pierces the intestinal mucosa and muscular membrane), intestinal obstruction, and even volvulus. In these cases, you must immediately rush to the veterinarian.
The drug against tuberculosis Isoniazid (Tubazid)
The first signs are foam at the mouth, the animal is disoriented, convulsions are observed, the so-called bicycle. The antidote is vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) in ampoules. This vitamin is not toxic, so inject 20 ml, medium, intramuscularly into a large dog as soon as possible. 10ml, shallow enough 5ml. Draw the ampoule into a syringe and inject immediately. According to various sources, vitamin B6 is pricked at the rate of 1 ml per 5 kg of body weight to 1 ml per 1 kg of body weight. Then, subcutaneously in the area of the withers, inject an ampoule of sulfocamphocaine to support the heart. Call the veterinary clinic urgently. follow the instructions by phone and take the animal to the clinic for treatment as soon as possible. You may need a drip, tests, and even a blood transfusion.
What is most common for a domestic dog to be poisoned on the street??
How to quickly help a dog after eating something off the ground
If the dog picks up something on the street in front of your eyes, it is better to immediately induce vomiting in it. For example, 1 teaspoon of salt for a large dog per tongue root. You can pour a saline solution (2 teaspoons per 1 glass of warm water) or a solution of 1 part peroxide per 1 part water from a spoon or syringe. Wait for vomiting. Then be sure to give any absorbent (enterosgel, polysorb, smectite, polyphepan, activated carbon). Do not induce vomiting if the dog is unconscious or poisoning with household chemicals (acid, alkali).
Antifreeze (anti-freeze), especially based on ethylene glycol
Frequent poisoning is caused by the sweet taste of antifreeze. Signs. vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation, lethargy, convulsions.
Rather quickly, blood flows from the mouth and anus begin. Urgently see a doctor. An animal that seizes a poisoned rat can also be poisoned. Antidote. veterinary vitamin K-1 or pharmacy vicasol (1-2 ampoules). Do not poison rats in the country with rat poison yourself and ask your neighbors if they plan to destroy rodents. In the city, utilities are obliged to warn residents about the alleged deratization (destruction of rodents).
How to stop a dog from picking up from the ground
Until the moment when a person tamed a dog, these animals survived in a wild world, where instincts and their own rules rule. Since that time, domestic dogs have remained in the habit of sniffing out everything that caught their eye with special care. And it is natural for a dog to try on the tooth, revealing an edible item or not. Especially puppies, during the period of active development, learn the world exclusively to “taste”.
But such a habit as picking up everything that comes across from the ground not only looks disgusting from the human side, but can also cost an animal life.
Why is ground picking dangerous?
The main factor provoking a dog to pick up various garbage from the ground is a natural instinct. Most often, living in the wild, animals can eat grass, feathers and even wool in order to provoke the eruption of gastric contents to cleanse the digestive tract.
But there may be several reasons why a dog picks up litter from the ground. The main ones are:
- lack of vitamins and enzymes in the diet of the animal;
- experiences and stress;
- the physiological process of changing teeth, accompanied by itching and the desire to scratch the gums;
- feeling very hungry.
Before starting to wean an animal from a bad habit, it is necessary to understand the factors that can provoke such behavior.
It is recommended that you consult your veterinarian. It may be necessary to trivially adjust the pet’s diet, and the problem will disappear by itself.
But a healthy dog picking up litter from the ground while walking may just be a curious pet trying everything out. This behavior requires correction, because picking up various objects from the ground can end in disaster, especially for the dog itself.
The main danger that lies in wait for the animal is the risk of catching a serious infection, contracting helminthiasis, or poisoning. In the latter case, the risks are extremely high. The dog may accidentally eat a poisonous substance intended for baiting rodents. In big cities, there are also so-called dog hunters, scattering poison on purpose.
How to stop a dog from picking up from the ground
Having figured out the reasons that provoke the pet to pick up various garbage from the ground, you can begin the process of behavior correction. The main rules are:
- Start learning from an early age. It is necessary to begin to instill skills from the very first weeks, and already from the age of six months, you can start full-fledged training. One of the first rules, which must be strictly observed in the house where the puppy appeared, is feeding only from hands or from a bowl. In no case should the pet be allowed to eat from the floor, otherwise it will exhibit the same behavior on the street during a walk.
- Regular trainings of the “Do’s” and “Do not” teams. In order to accustom the pet to the command “You can”, it is necessary to hold the animal for about 5 seconds near the bowl with food, and then, having given the appropriate command, let the pet close to the bowl. The main goal that must be achieved is that the dog comes to food only after the permission of its owner. This will help not only prevent eating various garbage on the street, but also taking various products from the hands of strangers. Before making such a move, the pet will wait for approval from the owner. No less important and necessary command is the command “No”. In some cases, proper training can save the animal’s life. When the dog intends to do an unwanted action, a timely command “No” or “Fu” will distract him. Training should be carried out exclusively in favorable conditions. Any physical impact is prohibited, commands are given in a firm voice, but without excessive volume.
- Correct use of the “No” command while walking. If, during a joint walk, the pet reaches to the side for an obviously prohibited object or food, you must clearly give the command. If the animal does not obey, it is necessary to duplicate the command with sharp, but not strong jerks of the leash to the side. It is very important to praise your pet when he obeyed and followed any given command. You can verbally cheer the dog up or pet it. The main goal is to form in the animal a negative association with garbage on the street. Under no circumstances should the dog be allowed to pick up something from the ground, and the next day should be prohibited. Dogs are very intelligent animals. Soon, the animal will begin to cunning, picking up from the ground only when the owner loses vigilance for a second. Of course, experts do not recommend to abuse the commands, using them with or without.
- Try to anticipate future events. You can play a kind of game, combined workout. You can scatter treats on the site where the animal is being walked. The dog is kept on a leash, practicing the command “No”. By prohibiting the animal from picking up treats, you can develop a strong reaction to the command not to pick up anything from the ground. It will take a little time to work out, but with perseverance and calmness, you can achieve excellent results. You can complicate the task by scattering treats and releasing the animal from the leash. The main task is to teach the animal not only to respond to the command, but also not to pick up any garbage when the owner does not see it.
- Using a whistle. If for several days during persistent regular training, the animal does not respond to the command, you can use a sound stimulus. Special whistles are great. As soon as the animal tries to try the garbage from the ground, it is necessary to give the command “No” or “Fu”, slightly pull back the leash and blow the whistle. Soon, the pet will form the correct reflex.
- A moment of distraction. In order to wean the animal from being interested in foreign suspicious objects, garbage and food from the ground, the best solution is to pay attention to the pet. Many joint games and joyful moments will allow the animal not to feel melancholy. It is very important to choose the right places for walking. It is best to walk puppies and already grown up young curious dogs not in parks and squares, but in specially equipped areas.
Raising a dog is necessary and important. Sometimes, you need to apply severity, but in no case should you use physical strength. The psyche of the animal can be disturbed, the relationship between the owner and the pet will deteriorate, and the desired effect will never be. The barbaric methods include not only the use of brute physical force. It is forbidden to use stun guns and collars with electric shock, shout loudly, use burning seasonings to lubricate delicacies, in an attempt to scare an animal away from picking up food.
It is not recommended to give treats to your pet if he did not pick up food from the ground. In this case, you can only encourage with words or stroking.
It also happens that the dog is in no hurry to carry out commands. As a rule, this happens with those animals that fell into the human family already in adulthood. If the animal is poorly trained, it is not necessary to stop training, but to increase safety, it is advisable to wear a muzzle when walking.
You can ask for help from specialists. Dog handlers or zoopsychologists can help in solving the problem. Recommendations must be carefully followed, which in turn will increase the effectiveness of education. The information that the specialist will give must be used for its intended purpose. It must be remembered that each animal, like a person, has a set of individual qualities. The speed of learning depends on the breed characteristics, the age of the animal and its temperament. There are no stupid dogs, there is a wrong upbringing. So, for example, dogs of hunting breeds, pick up from the ground everything that seems interesting to them, since it is in their blood. to pick up game.
Attentive attitude to the dog, patience and perseverance will certainly bear fruit.
Do you want to ask a question about the article or to clarify something? Call 79774692712, we will consult.
HOW TO STOP A DOG FROM EATING THINGS ON THE GROUND
How to stop a dog from picking up from the ground
The instinctive habit of dogs to sniff out everything along the way, in reality, is harmful, and if your dog also picks up everything on its way, then this is a very bad habit, which must be fought, since, picking up everything, your dog gathers a lot microbe and infections, as a result of which it can get sick. In addition, she can find poison that is intended for rodents or eat some kind of spoiled product, which is also fraught with.
The habit of dogs to pick up everything is absolutely natural, because their ancestors themselves were looking for their own food, sniffing out and picking up everything. But our pets absolutely do not need this habit. And you can get rid of it very easily if you act correctly.
So, how to wean a dog to pick up something horrible from the ground. Here are a couple of tips from our zoopsychologist and his view of this problem in general:
In order for a dog to get used to something, or to unlearn it, it needs positive or negative reinforcement.
If your dog is picking up from the ground, then:
You did not try to wean her from this, that is, either you did not forbid her to do this at all, or you did not give a sufficient measure of negative reinforcement. In this case, the dog takes its behavior for granted, and what it picks up itself serves as a positive reinforcement;
Maybe you pity your dog unnecessarily and do not give it the necessary measure of negative reinforcement, then the dog knows that everything will do for it, and if you really want to, you can afford it;
There is also an option that you gave an overly emotional reaction, it sometimes looks very funny, and dogs do not always regard it as negative, most often it turns into a game for them, and then they begin to deliberately provoke you. For example, you saw that your dog is picking up something, run to it, shout, start to catch up in order to take it away, and even spank it. And so, your dog is all in awe of you and your emotions, starts to run away, it’s funny to run to catch up. Or maybe in the process of running away, he still has something to pick up with the thoughts: “But I bet I will have time to pick up and eat before you catch up with me and do something.”.
This is how a dog develops a desire, by all means, to pick up and eat something.
Therefore, I advise you to punish less emotionally, but so that the dog understands that you do not like it, and that you take it seriously without any play. Knowing that your dog has a bad habit, walk him for a period on a leash and when you see that he wants to pick up something, just pull the leash back, it will not hurt your dog, but rather unpleasant, if it does not help, do it the same, but a little sharper and stronger.
It is also good to use the “no” or “uh” commands so that you can prevent or stop her from trying to pick something up. When you give a forbidding command, your voice should be strict and impartial.
I advise you to alternate the forbidding commands “no” or “fu” with the permissive “you can”. Indeed, where there is a prohibition, there must be permission, for balance, then the dog will not perceive the world as hostile. That is, at first you prohibit picking up anything that is already lying there from the ground, but then, you yourself put your pet’s toy, and allow him to take it, accompanying it with the command “you can”. So you will turn the training of your pet into an interesting and entertaining game, and most importantly useful. aimed at developing an understanding of what is good and what is bad, what is possible and what is not.
If you have a puppy or a young dog, then all these manipulations will very soon give a result, and your pet will form a new already positive habit. “to pick up nothing”. The most optimal age for this is 4-6 months maximum 12, then it will be a little more difficult, but still acceptable.
If your dog is already an adult, or even very adult from 4 years old and older, then I advise you to save your precious time, and not torment yourself and your pet. immediately contact the trainer. Since it will be extremely difficult to wean such a dog from something on your own, it will take a lot of strength and patience. There are a lot of nuances here, and you need to act very clearly.
If in the future you have any questions or need advice, you can always contact our specialist. animal trainer.
HOW TO GET YOUR DOG TO STOP EATING THINGS OFF THE GROUND
Fake physical punishment situation
The first thing to do is to train your dog to wear a parfors (strict collar). The training will take some time. You can start when the pet clearly understands that the punishment follows the incorrect behavior. pain. Next, you need to choose an area where there are no strangers and no animals live and ask a friend to scatter the bait (food). Do not toss the food yourself, as your scent will remain on the pieces! We are heading to the place of the set-up, we walk within a radius of 2-3 meters, gradually approaching the intended target. As soon as the dog has picked up a piece. a sharp jerk and the command “Fu!”, You must remain calm and unperturbed. We repeat the fake situation 3-4 times or until the pet gives up the bad habit.
Cons: Not suitable for short-haired dogs; hurts the pet; time consuming; need an assistant.
Fake “peppercorn” situation
We fill the pieces of meat with mustard, black pepper or another hot seasoning. Preparing a dummy place, letting the dog learn from his own mistakes. In no case do not use red pepper or more pungent “drugs”.
Cons: you run the risk, because the pet may have an individual intolerance to seasonings; the dog can smell the filling and not take the “bait”; using “dangerous” spices, you can deprive the dog of scent or “reward” it with burns in the mouth.
Causes of a bad habit and basic concepts
Without going into the smallest details, the instinctive urge to eat whatever food is available is always associated with stress. In relation to domestic dogs, it may be an acquired habit. Before buying a puppy, the future owner is advised to equip a comfortable place for eating and this instruction is just the same with education, and not a whim. If you do not want to solve difficult problems with gathering on the street, you should initially wean the dog to pick up from the floor, and it is better not to teach the pet to this manner at all.
The food bowl should be deep enough to prevent pieces of meat or other food from falling to the floor. If the dog grabs a lot of food, and then spits it out on the floor and eats it, it is a matter of competition or natural greed. Place a tennis (or other suitable size) ball in the bowl of food, this will make the tailed beast eat more slowly. They gave a treat from the palm of your hand, and the puppy dropped it. immediately cover the piece with your foot, distract the ward and reward the “fresh” delicious.
Important! In the early stages of upbringing, make every effort to ensure that the puppy understands that there is no need to pick up food from the floor!
The habit we are discussing is often called coprophagia, but this is not entirely true. The term describes a condition when a person or animals has a desire to eat (excuse me) feces. Searching for crackers, seeds and other waste is a mental disorder, a consequence of habits or physical ailment. Before starting work, trace what exactly your dog is looking for, if food, then this is a habit, and if it swallows pebbles, twigs, sand, etc., there are two remaining options.
A more difficult case is when a “bad habit” is developed as a result of vagrancy or hunger. Unfortunately, most dogs taken from shelters or picked up outside are guilty of picking up food leftovers from the ground. In such a situation, the word “habit” is inappropriate, rather, it is an instinct that was activated during a difficult period of life and pursues a dog that lives in warmth and satiety. It is with such “pickups” that the main number of problems arise. The owner “fights”, tries, follows, but the pet stubbornly violates the rules of conduct. If you are faced with such a problem, you have two choices: for the rest of the pet’s life, walk it on a leash and in a deaf muzzle, or spend a lot of time and effort, but wean the dog to pick up from the ground.
The pet will not “work” fully if it does not feel well. Visit your veterinarian, make sure that the tailed beast is healthy and take a vitamin course without fail. During preparation, muzzle the dog for walks, if necessary, drive it on a leash. If the desire to “vacuum” is associated with vitamin deficiency, the pet will feel better and you will only have to eliminate the habit.
Behavior correction methods
Next, we will look at tricks on how to wean your puppy from picking up everything on the street. They also work with adult dogs, but require more patience from the owner. Absolutely all of the methods below have disadvantages. Your task is to choose the “lesser evil”, focusing on the temperament of the dog.
Important! Never hit the dog with your hand (palm, fist). You will undermine your pet’s trust, making it harder to learn and live together. From the blow of the hand, which most often falls on the croup, vibration is created. As a result, the caudate feels pain, and the internal organs give in to physical influence. This is a very unpleasant feeling that can lead a dog to fear for his own life, the manifestation of aggression or cowardice, mental imbalance.
How to wean a dog from floor or ground picking: helpful tips for correcting pet behavior
An unpleasant, annoying habit for the owner, which can result in worms, poisoning and even death of the pet. Having already faced a problem, the owner realizes that it is not so easy to wean a dog to pick up food waste from the ground. Persuasion and shame do not bring results, moreover, the four-legged begins to “carrion” hiding.
You will need a compressed air cylinder and a pipe, which are used by fans in stadiums. Before using it outdoors, practice the reaction at home, show the dog what will happen if she commits a prohibited action. Next, we do the same on the street, while trying to pick up food from the ground. It is important not to use the balloon too close to the pet.
Cons: it causes inconvenience to people around; not suitable for dogs who are afraid of loud sounds; if the balloon is used improperly, it can lead to hearing impairment.
Electroshock collar (ESHO)
Using ESHO simplifies the task several times:
- You do not punish the dog with your own hands, which means you do not spoil the relationship.
- The collar is controlled by the remote control, which means you do not need to run after the tailed one, you just need to follow.
- Usually, the device has two modes: vibration alert and shock, which makes your conscience and dog’s life easier. If you try again, the pet will break the rules. he no longer needs to be shocked, just press the vibration-shock button and the sly guy will immediately understand what is going on.
- Usually, 2-3 incidents (1-2 months, for complete confidence) are enough to correct behavior with the help of ESW, so the accessory can not be bought, but rented or borrowed.
This will help the puppy develop the habit of taking food only from the bowl or from the hands of the owner. If the puppy discovers, but ignores the pieces lying on the floor, it is necessary to encourage him by treating him with a treat, praise and pet. You cannot beat or scold the baby.
From 3 months old, you can train your puppy to take food from a bowl on command. The food is laid out in a bowl, the puppy is held and released for a few seconds, accompanying the action with a permissive command “You can”, “Take”.
You can also teach the puppy not to pick it up from the floor by specially dropping a piece on the floor, and when the baby reaches for it, it is easy to press it down or remove it by hiding the bait. You should offer him another piece from your hand, giving the command “Take”.
Starting from 6 months, it is necessary to train the dog to execute the commands “Fu”, “Give”, “Come to me”, “You cannot”. Restraining commands will help control the pet’s behavior, its movement along the streets and prevent picking up from the ground. Since the training of prohibitive commands is based on negative stimuli (punishment), it is impossible to use them at a very early age, so as not to “break” the character of the dog, not to cause aggression or fear.
You should not hesitate with the submission of restraining commands, since even a well-mannered dog, taking a tasty treat in its mouth, is unlikely to spit it out when he hears a shout. The command must be given before the action is taken. Until the dog has mastered restraining commands, unwanted situations should be avoided. walking the puppy on a leash, in a muzzle or in “clean” places.
Reasons for the manifestation of a bad habit
In addition to instincts, the transformation of a dog into a “vacuum cleaner” is explained by the following factors:
- a hungry past that plagues street and abandoned animals;
- lack of nutrients in the diet, vitamin deficiency;
- stress to overcome, which the dog needs positive emotions;
- lack of new sensations;
- parasitic diseases;
- aberration (distortion) of taste during pregnancy;
- violation of the intestinal microflora, since decomposing food contains digestive enzymes and bacteria that facilitate digestion;
- the need for bowel cleansing. The habit of picking up inedible garbage is inherited by domestic dogs from wolves, which eat feathers, grass, hairballs and pebbles to induce vomiting and cleanse the intestines;
- the desire to play with the found item.
As you can see, there are many reasons prompting a dog to pick up edible and inedible items and food leftovers on the street. Most of these can be eliminated by adjusting the dog’s diet or behavior. An attentive owner can easily determine the reasons for the manifestation of “gathering” and try to eliminate them.
Electro shock collar
In especially difficult cases, an electroshock collar is used. Such a collar is equipped with a control panel, which makes it possible to dose exposure and correct behavior at a considerable distance. The main thing is not to overdo it with pain. Your dog should be uncomfortable, not injured.
By imperceptibly operating the remote control, the owner avoids the formation of a logical connection between the negative impact and his person, which will preserve a trusting relationship with the pet. The disadvantage of this method of exposure is the inexperience of the owner. To use the collar, you need to practice with an experienced instructor.
Why does the dog sniff and pick up objects
Before you start weaning a dog from a harmful and dangerous habit, you need to understand why a clean, domestic dog with great pleasure runs into the trash, sniffs, or even eats carrion. It is difficult to disaccustom a dog to “vacuum” the territory, since the sense of smell for a predator is one of the main senses. The cortical center responsible for the analysis of odors is 40 times larger in a dog than in a person, while the animal’s brain itself is 10 times smaller.
With the help of smell, the dog receives information about the territory, the sexual readiness of partners, the quality of food, the hierarchy in the pack. Smells give the dog not only the necessary information about the world, but also stimulate the positive emotions necessary for socialization and vital activity, and excite behavioral processes. Therefore, forbidding a dog to sniff, or rather to sniff out (a very special function), is dangerous for its health and psyche.
The book Kingdom of Smells by Anne Lill Kwam, a famous Norwegian trainer, describes not only the physiology of a dog’s sense of smell, but also its importance for the mental development and mental health of a dog. Exciting and attractive odors stimulate positive physiological processes in the dog’s body and in a certain way affect the behavioral reactions, the emotional state of the animal.
Taste in dogs is also closely related to the sense of smell. That is why it is so difficult for them to separate these “chemical” sensations. A newborn puppy primarily focuses on smell and taste. The survival of the baby depends on them. the search for food, protection, and comfortable conditions. This means that training should be aimed not at the prohibition of sniffing and testing, but at weaning to pick up an object from the floor or the ground.
You can distract your pet from the “illegal” action with a sharp sound. clap, ringing of a bunch of keys, whistle. Throwing a plastic bottle filled with small stones, coins or other “rattling” objects also works. The main thing is not to harm the dog and not scare him too much.
Another parenting method is to wear an apparel throughout the walk. A dog occupied with an attractive object will be less tempted to pick something less seductive from the ground.
Dummy Situation Method
To eliminate the risk of poisoning or injury, you can use the “dummy” method when teaching. The assistant lays out the bait in the form of food pieces. The owner, leading the pet on a leash, slowly approaches the bait, and when the dog rushes to the food, give the command “Fu” or “Do not” and jerk the leash sharply. The situation is repeated 4-5 times.
As a negative stimulus, you can use a light slap on the back of the dog’s rump or nose, hold (press on the back or withers with your hand). Negative stimulus should alternate with positive. After the dog has moved away from the bait, it is encouraged with a treat, praised or stroked. Gradually, food rewards should be completely replaced by tactile or vocal rewards. Do not abuse the “Fu” command and prohibit all potentially dangerous actions.
With the help of a “dummy” situation, you can also wean the dog from taking a treat from someone else’s hands. You need to ask several assistants to offer a treat to the dog, and when she reaches out to him, squeeze his hand, hiding the “bait”. The pet must firmly learn that he will not receive treats from a “stranger”. Ignoring “handouts” should be encouraged by the owner. Thus, the owner does not cancel the eating behavior (it dominates in animals, especially young ones), but only reorients, otherwise, by prohibiting eating a treat, one can provoke a search for “goodies” on the street or in a garbage can.
How to wean a dog from floor or ground picking: effective methods
In dogs, sniffing, searching and chasing are genetically determined reflexes. Very often, the detected “interesting” smell prompts to taste the object. This instinct, useful in the wild, is very dangerous in the city. Often after such a “meal” the dog suffers from poisoning and may even die. Why do dogs like to sniff and grab smelly objects so much, and how to stop a dog from picking up from the floor / ground?
In most cases, doggies “vacuum” the ground in search of tidbits, if life has taught them to do so. That is, there were moments in their biography when it was more of a necessity than a whim. over, sometimes even for a domestic, seemingly well-fed dog, pasture is the only way to live a full life.
The most common reasons for the manifestation of the habit of picking everything from the floor are considered by veterinarians:
- Bad Education. If from childhood the puppy was allowed to eat on the floor, allowed to eat up the dropped food and sweets, did not show dissatisfaction with the search for food while walking or playing in the walls of the house, then it will be very problematic to wean an adult individual. The dog simply will not understand why it suddenly became impossible for him what could have been done from birth.
- Natural gluttony. Sometimes it is triggered by hunger in early childhood, but more often it is just a character trait. Such puppies, even in childhood, acquire the habit of grabbing the maximum amount of food from the bowl, carrying it aside, spitting it out and eating it. Dogs of this type are ready to eat anything, anytime, anywhere, even if they are more than well fed. Somehow it is simply impossible to wean them from irrepressible greed. It remains only to dispense portions, not to allow other pets to be eaten and to closely monitor the actions on walks, preferring to go out in a muzzle. Only tough training and physical barriers will help protect the dog from street feeding.
- Hunger experienced in childhood. This syndrome is typical for animals taken from the street or from shelters, even at a young age. They remember for life that picking up from the floor is the normal way to get food. That is why they try to diversify their daily diet with any conventionally edible trophies from the street. It will be difficult to fix the situation in any way, but over time, with due attention and patience of the owner, this may be possible.
- Unbalanced diet. If your pet lacks something in the daily portions of food, he tries to make up for the lack on his own. Therefore, starting a dog, you should study everything related to the breed and, especially, the necessary complete diet. Do not forget about periodic medical examinations, the main purpose of which is to identify all the starting health problems of the pet and eliminate them. It is the veterinarian who will be able to tell what exactly the four-legged friend is missing and how it can be corrected.
- An attempt to attract the attention of the owner. Lonely, abandoned dogs in this way try to attract attention. If you’ve scolded them for this behavior, they’ll repeat it over and over to get the attention they need again. The fact that it is negative is of little concern to dogs. It is important for them to feel involved in the pack, necessary, and punishment will come down to confirm this status.
- Disease. Some diseases have strange symptoms. Therefore, if a dog who did not previously have the habit of picking up something from the ground, the dog will begin to drag and gnaw branches, roots, bones and other debris in its mouth. this is a serious reason to urgently go to the veterinarian.
Regardless of the reasons that led to the formation of the habit, it must be controlled and eradicated so that a piece of poisoned bait accidentally eaten during a walk does not lead to death.
How to wean a puppy from picking up everything on the street
A piece picked up on a walk, edible at first glance, can kill a dog, because it is not known what may be inside. Disease-causing bacteria and poison are frequent companions of grazing in yards and on city sites.
Many inexperienced owners do not see a particular problem in the fact that the dog digs the ground with his nose in search of any edible or not very piece, picks up everything that lies there from the ground, and tries it on his teeth. But in vain. After all, because of this, a four-legged friend can be seriously injured, and in the event of an unfortunate coincidence of circumstances, it can also infect the owner with something unpleasant.
Dogs eat almost from the floor, so it is not unusual for them to “hunt” during a walk, this is the norm of their behavior. However, in order to protect your pet, you will have to do everything to wean him from this harmful habit in the modern world.
There are several effective methods that, provided they are constantly and comprehensively applied, will give excellent results and once and for all disaccustomed to picking up anything from the ground:
- At home, the dog should never eat from the ground. This applies to both constant food and snacks. Purchase a deep bowl to keep food from spilling out onto the floor. When giving something tasty, make sure that it does not fall. If this does happen, either quickly pick up a piece and feed it again from your hand, or cover the food with your foot and say the command “Fu”, but do not let the animal pick it up.
- Walk only on a leash. For every attempt to take something in the mouth, the dog must hear a strict forbidding command and feel the jerk of the leash. If he tries again, repeat the procedure harder. The jerk must be palpable so that the animal understands that the behavior is not approved by the owner.
- If you decide to let the dog run and let him off the leash, and then saw that he was eating some nasty thing, immediately command “Fu” and punish. The punishment must be quite tangible so that the prohibition is fixed in the head of the animal. For such cases, it is better to take a thin stick with you. a losin, and in case of problems with obedience, it is easy to lash the dog with it in the region of the croup. The main thing is not to overdo it. The beast should feel the forbidding blow, but not the pain from it.
- Conduct a training session in your area. When you are sure that you have weaned your pet from a bad habit, start checking. Place pieces of food in a certain area and let the dog go for a walk. If he tries to eat what you left, punish the prankster severely. Repeat this procedure until the pet remembers that it can only eat after your permission.
It is relatively easy to train a puppy, and adult dogs are much less susceptible to behavior correction.
Why do dogs pick up food on the street??
- Lacks certain vitamins in the body. The dog begins to eat the feces of other animals, carrion, rotten food.
- There is no proper upbringing. As a puppy, the dog is used to grabbing certain “goodies” without further punishment.
- There are mental problems. Many pets are morally satisfied with what they pick up from the ground.
- Suffers from lack of attention. Sometimes the pets do not have enough affection, the dogs begin to misbehave, forcing the owner to carefully observe them. Manipulators know that they will receive negative reinforcement for what they have done, but they continue to bend their line.
- Hunger. Owners walk their dogs before feeding, he tries to drown out the unpleasant feeling with a piece found on the street.
Delicacy with filling
The method is effective, but risky. Before using it, you need to make sure that your pet does not have an allergic reaction. The method applies to adult pets.
Spicy spices are added to pieces of meat, cheese or other “snacks”. The animal finds a treat, grabs it and immediately spits it out, feeling an unpleasant taste. The guide calls him up with the command “Come to me”, calms and treats him.
Why is this skill so important?
Poisoning is one of the main reasons why a four-legged friend should be able to bypass “sweets” on the street. Modern drugs allow dog hunters to destroy animals in the most sophisticated ways. It is enough for a pet to smell the agent causing a quick death, not to mention trying.
Diarrhea and vomiting resulting from a selected tidbit is another option for the development of poisoning. This also includes obstruction and constipation, the owner will have to pay for an expensive operation to save the pet from suffering.
The second point is the danger of injuring the gastrointestinal tract. Having picked up the bones, the animal runs the risk of being left with punctured internal organs.
People who want to harm the owner and the dog are increasingly common. Thieves who entered the house are able to treat the dog with something tasty, giving it from the hand or throwing it on the floor. The result will be disastrous; at best, the guard will fall asleep, at worst, he will die. That is why it is necessary to forbid your pet to take a treat from the hands of strangers.
Braking command and mechanical action
The method of weaning picking up litter and food is simple, effective, and applicable to all breeds. A familiar territory is chosen as a training ground, where the treats are scattered in advance. A regular collar is put on the dog, for large breeds a ring chain, fixed in the correct way, is suitable (it is advisable to avoid “planing”). The guide with the pet slowly moves across the terrain, the four-legged student notices the “sweets” and begins to lower his head, hoping to grab them. At this time, the owner gives one of the braking commands. “Fu!”, “No!”, “You can’t!”. After a second, a jerk with a leash follows so that the pet feels a mechanical effect. Strength is calculated based on the size of the dog.
The animal is distracted from the find, switching to the owner. He encourages him verbally (“Yes!”, “Super!” Or “Good!”), Gives a treat or a toy. depending on what the dog is oriented towards.
Team “To me”
Ideally, upon hearing her, the dog drops everything and runs to the owner, completely switching over to him. Clear obedience to this command is the basis for a long and happy life of a four-legged.
The training is carried out in several ways. The first is mechanical. faster, but unpleasant for the dog. The second is with the help of a treat or toy.
When choosing a mechanical method, you need a long leash and a favorite treat. The dog walks on a long (from five meters) leash, clamped in the palm of the owner. When the animal gets carried away with its business, the owner begins twitching, while running away, moving backwards. The darling begins to catch up with him. The handler gives the command “To me”, continuing to move. The dog overtakes the owner, after which he stops, praises the pet and puts a hand with a treat behind his head so that the animal has to sit down. The dog sits down opposite the owner and receives a treat.
Another method is divided into several stages. Training begins at puppyhood, when the pet reaches two months of age.
- First, the owner teaches the pet to move for a treat. The latter is clamped in the handler’s left hand, the fist is pressed to the side, thigh or leg. depending on the size of the puppy. The owner walks with his back forward, and the baby is concentratedly trying to get the treat from the palm of his hand, following him.
- When the pet learns this movement without distraction, the application of the voice command begins. The basic process is the same, the pet follows the owner, but he utters the command “Come to me”, then sits the dog in front of him with the help of a treat and reinforces the training with encouragement.
- After mastering this lesson, the third stage follows. The owner places the dog near his left leg, then takes two or three steps with his back forward in the opposite direction from the animal. He carefully monitors his condition, if the dog decides to follow the guide without a command, he will have to return to the main position. Otherwise, the owner calls the pet with a team, encourages it with a delicacy and verbally.
Training rules that will help wean a dog to pick up all kinds of nasty things on the street
Many pet owners are interested in the question: “How to wean a dog to pick up food and all kinds of nasty things on the street?” There are several ways, ranging from mechanical to braking command.
It is important to understand why this is needed. to pass the standard or the skill will be used at the household level, to deal with the causes of the habit and to comprehend its danger.
What training methods are better not to resort to??
- Throw objects in his direction, hoping to distract attention from the treat. The kid can be very scared, as a result of this, mental problems will begin.
- Shout, whistle, clap your hands next to him. The method is suitable for correcting the behavior of an adult dog.
- Physical impact.
- Using ESHO.
- Leash too strong.
- Application of filled treats.
how to wean a dog to pick up food on the street?