The dog’s voice is its barking. This is how your dog tries to get attention. But if he does not stop either day or night, scandals with neighbors, unfriendly looks of hallways on the street are guaranteed to you. And are there any ways. how to wean a dog from barking? Experts say: of course there is. Raising a puppy should be done from the first months of life, but an adult dog can also be weaned from barking.
tips: how to stop your dog from barking
Why does the dog bark
No dog will bark without reason. It is believed that animals communicate with each other through their voice, but experts deny this, since dogs have many other sounds for this in their arsenal. howls, growls, etc. Barking dogs are used primarily to attract the attention of a person, the owner. And also not just like that, but in the case.
There are several reasons why a dog barks.
Watchdogs and even small decorative dogs bark to warn the owner of the danger and scare off the threat. A person may be standing behind the door of the house, and on the street a passer-by made a sharp movement with his hand. and the response was immediate. The barking dog warns the one in whom it sees a potential danger that it can attack.
Any animal is so arranged by nature. the instinct of self-preservation forces it to defend itself, but man has tamed and raised a dog, so it does not attack without warning. But if your pet reacts in the same way to every sound, voice outside the door, if on the street it barks at all people and cars. this is no longer normal. However, there is no need to scold the animal, much less punish it. It is important to understand what is bothering the dog and to calm it down.
Even if you come home from work tired in the evening, a dog will greet you with joyful barking at home. He, too, is tired. from the long wait for the owner. and wants to play. Barking is both a greeting and an invitation to go for a walk, play. It is useless to jerk a pet, commands or shouts: it is unlikely that he will calm down until he receives his portion of attention. Take some time for your four-legged friend and he will calm down.
In this case, barking is also a defensive reaction. Sometimes there is no real threat, but the dog subconsciously feels it or once in a similar situation he was hurt. He barks on the street at a drunk passer-by. maybe someone offended him, kicked him or tried to hit him. The dog’s brain has developed a reaction: the smell of alcohol = potential threat. A child in a game can also inadvertently hurt an animal. hence the so-called “dislike” for children and attempts to scare away the threat with the help of barking.
And in this case, the most important thing is to show the dog that it is safe, nothing threatens it. The best way is to cheer the dog up and divert his attention to more interesting objects, such as a play ball.
In the house, the “leader of the pack” should only be a person, the owner. All others are obliged to obey him. And in this “chain” the dog is given the last place. If in the family everything is the other way around. all the whims of the four-legged friend are fulfilled, all the more so. when he insists on this with a voice, loud barking. the dog develops a certain model of behavior: if you want to get something, bark! Barking loudly!
What can this lead to? The owner is not at home, no one can fulfill the needs of the dog. and it will bark for a very long time, irritating family members and the anger of neighbors. There is only one conclusion. the dog needs to be educated from childhood, not to satisfy unquestioningly all its desires, not to pamper. She needs to be taught to behave correctly and execute commands. For this, it is advisable to involve an experienced dog handler.
Have you tried to sit alone in a closed room all day? And sit tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow? The dog doesn’t like it either, so it barks to draw attention to itself. But this behavior not only negatively affects the psyche of your neighbors, but also the psyche of the dog itself. If you have to leave your dog alone at home for the whole day, take him for a good walk so that he gets tired and goes to bed. Leave him toys. this will also help brighten up the hours of loneliness.
Dogs do not bark just like that. in most cases it is a desire to attract attention to themselves or warn the owner of the danger. Having found out the reason for the pet’s excessive emotionality, you can wean the dog from barking and thereby preserve its psyche, as well as prevent the negative reaction of others.
ways: how to stop a dog from barking
You need to start education from the moment the puppy appeared in your house. The sooner you start training, the easier communication will be in the future. Important points:
- The pet must understand and respond to all commands with one word. “Fu!”, “Quiet!”, “No!”. should be performed unquestioningly if the dog started barking while walking at passers-by, passing cars, other animals;
- The most effective way is encouragement. If the pet has completed the command correctly, it should receive a reward. Subsequently, the puppy will develop a reaction: “I will obey the owner. I will get tasty treats”;
- The carrot-and-stick method, alas, turns out to be necessary. But you cannot use brute physical force. If you try to achieve the submission of the animal by intimidation, you can get instead of obedience a violation of the psyche of the animal, which threatens inappropriate behavior and even the need to take medications. In the most extreme case, click the dog on the nose, repeating the command: “No!”.
If an adult dog has already appeared in the house, habits and character have formed, training may require more time. It is necessary to show patience, perhaps to attract dog handlers. Training should give the dog complete obedience. unquestioning execution of the owner’s commands.
Some people suggest resorting to surgery by cutting the ligaments. Experts do not recommend such a radical way to combat barking, as it is fraught with health problems, in particular, an increased risk of inflammatory diseases.
Experienced dog handlers and breeders share their own ways to stop encouraging barking and wean your pet from it:
- do not talk to or pay attention to your dog. Ignore the behavior of the dog (of course, if it does not bark in the middle of the night);
- do not encourage pet actions that are undesirable. And even more so. do not give a treat in an attempt to stop the barking. This will only generate a backlash: “I’ll bite and get a treat.” But when the animal reacts to the forbidden command “Fu!”. then treat him to;
- squeeze the dog’s mouth when it barks. This will indicate to the pet his undesirable behavior and your dissatisfaction with him;
- when walking an overly excitable dog, you can put on a special muzzle that helps to gently close the mouth without harming the animal.
Do not use anti-barking collars. Electric shock devices can injure your pet and increase its aggression. And collars with spray can trigger on the vocalization of other dogs, then your dog will suffer undeservedly.
How else can you influence a barking dog:
- in a private house, you can limit visibility by covering the territory with a fence instead of a net; in an apartment, close the curtains when you are not at home. This will get the pet out of barking situations;
- increase the socialization of the pet: barking at passers-by and other dogs are usually those who do not have enough communication. You can also engage in upbringing while walking in the park, on the walking area. Feeling safe, the dog will stop “guarding the territory” and will bark less.
If the dog does not respond to commands, you can try to stop the barking by spraying the dog with water from a spray bottle. The unexpected action will put the dog in a stupor for a while. But some animals perceive this as a game, so the method is not always effective.
Parenting methods are not only about obedience and punishment for misbehavior, but also reward for doing the right thing. How to show your dog your approval:
- correct organization of physical activity. a dog who is tired from a walk, contented and happy will not bark;
- keep her busy with toys. Dogs love toys and logic games. buy ones in which you can hide food, they will occupy the pet’s attention for a long time, and he will have no time to bark;
- if the dog barks in the street to greet the person, teach him to do it differently. for example, sit down, shake his paw.
To stop the unwanted barking of your dog outdoors, desensitize it to stimuli by showing them first from a distance, then closer. Pet should be encouraged for exemplary behavior, and no treats should be given for barking. It will take time for the pet to get used to the presence of annoying factors, but not to react to them, so be patient.
Try to distract your dog while walking if something causes him to react negatively. Get carried away with the game or simply take you to another place. For example, if a dog barks at children, you should not choose a park or crowded squares, yards where children play.
Various methods can be used to distract the pet. whistle, clapping, finger snapping. The dog will be distracted by the sound, and then it can be carried away by the game or forced to complete the task. bring a toy, execute a command, etc.
A well-bred dog will not bark just like that. To wean her from barking, you need to find out the reason and try to eliminate the annoying factor or change the pet’s attitude towards him, show the dog that there is no danger for her and the owner. There are many methods for correcting the behavior of an animal, but they all consist in the main thing. the dog must obey its owner unquestioningly. And from him is required attention and care. so that the dog is not bored and that all its needs are satisfied.
Why do dogs bark
Dogs never bark for no reason, you can always find an explanation for this:
- Fear. Have you noticed that dogs are wildly afraid of sharp and intense sounds: thunder, siren, screams.
- Boredom. If a dog sits at home alone all day, he begins to get bored just like a person. But if you have the opportunity to find entertainment for yourself, then the dog has not great choice. gnaw your shoes or bark heartily.
- Fun. In this case, barking for dogs is a sign of delight and satisfaction. Dogs always bark when their owners start playing with them.
- Alertness. Extraneous, unfamiliar sounds cause a feeling of insecurity in the dog, to which it responds with loud barking. For example, a dog will definitely respond to a doorbell, knock, if neighbors start repairs.
- Signal or manipulation. Barking for dogs is a way to attract attention, for example, if the pet wants to eat, drink, or he is simply bored and wants to play.
- Anger. You can observe a similar feeling when 2 dogs meet. In such a situation, barking. this is a way for dogs to prove their superiority.
All of the above emotions can visit a dog more than once a day, and of course, the neighborhood with such a loud pet can drive you crazy. This is why it is so important at a young age to explain to the dog when barking is appropriate and when it is better to shut up.
How to teach your dog not to bark at home
Before you teach a dog not to bark at home, you must understand that it is a way for it to communicate, to convey its emotions, like a human voice. If a dog lives in a family for a long time, the owner determines by the intensity and volume of barking what exactly his pet wants. Therefore, you should not set the goal of generally weaning the dog from barking in the house, you need to ensure that this happens only in justified situations.
What exactly can not be done
Let’s start from the opposite, and first of all consider the mistakes that inexperienced dog owners often make:
- Mutual abuse. Screaming at a dog when it barks at home. does not mean to calm her down, but on the contrary to provoke even more. Especially when it comes to aggressive breeds, in whose blood to prove their case. If you decide to get a dog, be patient and learn to maintain STIHL.
- Occasional training. You can only train your dog not to bark at home during regular training. If you only occasionally make Комментарии и мнения владельцев, the pet simply will not take them seriously, or will not remember at all.
- Physical violence. Beating is inadmissible in principle. First, it is not humane. Secondly, in this way you will not arouse the desire to obey in the dog, but only develop fear and latent aggression.
- Комментарии и мнения владельцев without clarifying the reason. If your pet starts barking, first find out why he is doing it. Maybe he wants to play, or maybe robbers are trying to get into the house. Reproaches just like that can discourage any desire to protect you, but you do not want the dog to turn into a decorative ornament.
- Do not follow the pet’s lead. Dogs have a huge number of qualities that humans have, including cunning. If the dog is trying to manipulate you, and with the help of barking to beg a piece of meat from the plate, in no case do not give in. In the future, he will do this manipulation constantly.
Tired, want to take a break? Order a dog walk!
Don’t induce your pet to bark
It is likely that you are the instigator of this behavior of the animal. Think about how you initially reacted to the dog’s barking. There must have been a moment when you rejoiced at these sounds and praised the four-legged. So he remembered that barking is good, which means that he behaved correctly. This is how you will walk in a vicious circle, from morning till night listening to the howls of your tailed beast.
Below are recommendations for eliminating barking in an apartment:
- Train your pet and teach commands. So that, on command, he unquestioningly obeys you and becomes silent, you need to make a lot of efforts to educate him. This is the most effective method.
- Do not attach too much importance to barking or overreact to it. Ignoring is an effective method, with the help of it your pet will understand that nothing can be achieved by such behavior.
- Pay enough attention to your ward, play with him, frolic on the street together. So, your dog will always feel loved and needed and will not want to bark to attract your attention.
- Control your emotions, because the dog adopts the behavior of the owners. If you have constant quarrels and loud cries about and without in your apartment for what is supposed to be done, then it is not surprising that the dog is constantly barking, because his emotional state is subject to stress.
- It is very important when a pet begins to bark at a stranger to react correctly to this reaction. If you make him immediately shut up, then the guard from such a dog will grow unimportant. He will simply be afraid to once again raise his voice and show himself so as not to upset you.
- If the dog barks after you leave, do not come back to calm him down. Come back. show weakness and she will understand who is the boss, starting to actively use yapping for her own purposes.
How to wean your Spitz dog from barking in the house
You are very fond of animals, so you became the owner of a wonderful Spitz. But now, you have a problem. How to wean a puppy from barking in an apartment? After all, he can start barking in the middle of the night or early in the morning, lifting the whole house to its feet. Neighbors constantly complain about you, but you do not get enough sleep, listening to the drawn out sounds of your pet all day long.
Does your child sleep very restlessly at night because of the tailed beetle, and daytime sleep is out of the question? Just don’t panic, the situation is fixable! It’s time to stop this and teach the animal the proper behavior! You do not know the answer to your question and whether it can be done at all. Can! Read our article and follow the guidelines. The result will not be long in coming.
Let’s take a look at the reasons for your pet’s barking and how to fix the problem in order.
How to correct the behavior of your Spitz puppy
It is worth noting that this process is long and tedious, so it is better to immediately educate your pet correctly than to correct the situation later. This is best done when your puppy is two months old. But if you still need to resort to adjustments and you have started the educational process a little, then there are several fairly effective ways to do this:
- The old grandfather’s way is to take the dog’s ears and squeeze them a little. The Spitz will be at a loss and will stop barking. Reinforce the effect by encouraging your tailed beast.
- If the Pomeranian does not respond to the first method, shock him with your loud barking. The dog will be surprised and shut up. This method is effective, however, it does not last long.
- The method of switching attention is effective if your Spitz barks at friends and acquaintances who come to your apartment. Concentrate your pet’s attention on you by giving the appropriate command. The dog will be distracted and stop barking.
- Entice the dog with a game, and he will forget about the object to which he reacted violently.
In correcting the behavior of a Spitz, it is very important to adhere to two rules:
Only in this way can you succeed in raising your ward and stop his unreasonable barking.
Below we will consider a situation in which a pet is ideal in your presence, but when you are not at home, it freaks out and barks loudly, thereby causing the violent indignation of your neighbors. What to do in such a situation? How to eliminate barking?
Why does the dog bark
What is barking? These are the sounds through which the dog communicates with the outside world. In another way, she cannot express her feelings, so she begins to bark.
Barking is an indicator of your dog’s special emotional state. There may be a number of reasons for this:
Analyze your dog’s behavior and external factors. A dog in a healthy emotional and physical condition will not bark just like that.
If your dog barks for no apparent reason, seek help from your veterinarian, maybe he is worried about something, and you are not able to notice the problem.
Options for stopping barking while you are away
Reward your pet for the correct behavior, so he will understand what he can do and what is unacceptable. After all, dogs are by nature very intelligent creatures. Show just a little patience and your dog will learn the proper behavior and will only delight you.
So, you have familiarized yourself with the effective methods of stopping your dog’s barking, received general recommendations and now you will be fully armed when you hear loud sounds from your pet. You can calm him down in a matter of minutes without disturbing the peace of your neighbors. The main thing, remember. only regular training will make your pet an obedient, intelligent and calm dog! By following the recommendations, you can help your friends and acquaintances if they suffer from a similar problem and cannot wean their dog from loud barking for no reason.
The habit of pulling the leash
Some pets like to keep the leash taut at all times when walking.
It is not always convenient to move in this way, and sometimes it seems that the dog is pulling the owner by force. Why is this happening and what to do about it?
- First, the habit of pulling the leash does not appear by itself. Here, more often than not, there is the fault of the owner, who, instead of bringing the dog closer to him with a sharp movement, always simply pulled it towards himself. The pet gets used to walking with a taut leash and cannot get rid of the habit on its own.
- It remains for the owner to retrain the pet. This can be done using a chain leash, while there is no tension, but only sharp movements to adjust the speed of movement of the dog.
Secondly, there is no need to force a dog that has just left the house to walk next to it. A pet that wants to move is unlikely to calmly walk alongside, but, most likely, will begin to pull the leash.
It is not uncommon for pets to bark, howl, and attract attention due to fear or boredom.
The habit of marking at home
If the puppy is still very young, then the puddles on the floor are not a problem at all. You can’t scold kids for such offenses, and even more so to beat or poke their noses, they just have not yet learned to endure.
But, before scolding a dog, you need to figure out whether it spends enough time on the street, whether walks are regular.
If the pet has to endure all the time, then it is not worth punishing for puddles either.
It is important from childhood to accustom you to regular walks and always observe the created regime.
If the dog continues to mark corners anyway, then it’s time to apply strictness. But, you can’t go too far, otherwise you can only aggravate the problem and bring the dog to neurosis.
And it is even better not to scold the pet, but, on the contrary, to praise, then when the dog asks for the toilet, or relieves it on the street.
Praise often works much more effectively than punishment.
You need to take action if a puppy is older than 3 months old starts to pee or shit at home. If the puppy is still small or you have a dog of a decorative breed, it makes sense to train it to the house toilet.
The habit of picking up trash
Trash on the street attracts dogs with its pungent odor. This instinct is laid down by nature, so it is quite difficult to fight it, and sometimes it is not possible to completely eradicate it.
- The first thing to do is to start practicing the “Fu” command. The study begins at home, the assimilation of the material is carried out using a bowl of food.
- When the word is learned, there will be less problems with garbage on the street. For additional training, you can spread some waste around the apartment and guide the dog along the route, stopping him with a command in case of an attempt to pick up the garbage.
- Second: you can wear a muzzle for the dog while walking. He won’t let you take anything from the ground.
- If the dog, in spite of everything, continues to eat strange food, and at the same time does not look very healthy, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. This food addiction can be a symptom of a serious illness.
What is the difference between the average poodle and the dwarf one, read the article under the picture.
What kind of dog is ideal for an apartment, see this link. A gentle animal. everything about amstaff: https://kotovasia.net/staff.html
Many dogs try to bite a person’s hands while playing. Even if this is not done for real and it is far from a serious bite, it is not known how strong this bite will be tomorrow. As for children, the feeling of teeth on the skin is enough for them to be very frightened.
To fight this habit, you need to clearly discuss the nuances with everyone who plays and communicates with the dog. It is important to follow the general line of behavior.
- So, if the dog begins to bite his arms and legs during the game, they should not be abruptly removed to the side. It is best at this time to catch the eye of the pet and clearly say “No!”.
- If the dog understood and removed its teeth, then calmly play on.
- If there was no effect and the dog continues to bite, you need to turn away, move away, or even go to another room. That is, it is important by all means to show the inadmissibility of such behavior.
How to wean a dog from bad habits
Every dog breeder at least once faced the problem of bad habits in a four-legged friend. Sometimes flaws in upbringing, or the relationship between the owner and the pet, are manifested in this way, sometimes it’s just a quirk.
One thing is true. any unwanted behavior can be corrected. The main thing is the owner’s desire and his love for the pet. Consider the main “bad” habits of dogs and methods of dealing with them.
The habit of chewing on objects
Why does the dog gnaw everything? She tends to gnaw all kinds of objects: rugs, shoes, children’s toys, furniture. Often, one dog can cause significant damage, making things that are far from cheap.
- Before getting angry with your pet, you need to try to figure out what is the reason for this behavior? Most dogs don’t spoil things to test their owners’ patience. The reason is very commonplace. growing teeth.
In some dog breeds, tooth growth does not stop until 2.5 years of age.
Another easy way to wean yourself from barking is to touch your ears. If the dog barks, gently squeeze the tip of the ears with two fingers. This method is best tried when the dog is calm. If the reaction is positive, use it in practice. Squeezing the pet’s ear at the same time give the command “No” or “Hush”. Over time, the animal will develop the correct conditioned reflex.
If your dog barks out of fear, observe the behavior. The dog presses his ears, hides behind you, backs away, heart-rending barking or whining, tucking his tail. he is scared of something. At this point, you should not shout or hit the dog, as you will increase the dog’s fears. Be confident, calm the animal down.
Walk up to the object that scared the pet, but do not pull the dog too hard on the leash. You must behave like a “leader” and show by your example that there is no threat. The dog will sniff the “frightening” object and calm down.
If the dog reacts sharply to stimuli, shows anxiety, you can give sedatives. Consult your veterinarian about the choice and dosage of sedatives.
A more radical way of weaning off barking at people or animals is surgery, which involves cutting the vocal cords. But this method can give serious complications in the future.
If the pet barks at its relatives, arrange joint walks with other dogs. Get used to communicating with relatives gradually, but from an early age.
Why do dogs bark at everyone on the street?
Walking the dog should be rewarding and enjoyable not only for your pet, but also for you. Undoubtedly, the dog should always be in your field of vision, regardless of whether the dog walks without a leash or on a leash. In this case, the dog must behave well both at home and on the street.
A pet should not bite, and even more so show aggression without a reason to its relatives, passers-by, and other animals. The dog must unquestioningly follow the commands of the owner, and this can only be achieved by the correct organization of the educational process.
If your dog barks at everyone in a row, in order to wean it from this addiction, it is necessary to determine the reasons for this behavior. A constantly barking dog can provoke a conflict, frighten children, and displease passers-by, neighbors.
How to Teach Your Dog Not to Bark | The Battersea Way
Unreasonable barking of dogs at passers-by, other dogs or animals indicates, as a rule, a mental disorder, an unstable emotional state of a pet, errors in education and socialization. A constantly barking dog is a serious cause for irritation.
Teach Dog to Stop Barking. Treatpouch.com
Many people find that dogs often bark for no reason. But it’s not always the case. Your dog will never bark at home or outdoors, whine or make other sounds for no reason. You need to understand that barking is the main way dogs communicate with their relatives and their owners.
Important! Lai has a different emotional color. Can be threatening, warning, defensive, aggressive.
- Loneliness, banal boredom. Thus, the dog attracts the attention of owners, relatives or other animals.
- Request, need, need for something. Barking, dogs attract relatives to the game, beg for a treat, ask the owner to go for a walk.
- Fright, panic, emotional excitement. If a puppy, an adult dog is scared by something, feels aggression from animals, humans, barking is a kind of defensive reaction. If your pet is not a representative of fighting breeds or is not distinguished by exceptional courage, barking at everyone in a row, he tries to scare away possible offenders, demonstrating fearlessness.
- Aggression. Barking expresses negative emotions or dominance.
- Discontent, resentment, jealousy. A dog can bark if the owner pays more attention to another animal. Dogs behave noisily, parting with the owner, when some are alone for a long time. Sometimes barking is a sign of resentment.
- The game. A resounding barking bark is a signal to attract to the game. The dog expresses his joyful emotions.
It should also be noted that some dogs, especially representatives of miniature, dwarf and decorative breeds (pinschers, lapdogs, Pekingese, poodles) bark out of love for the process itself. Barking is often a manipulative behavior of small pets. There are both practically silent breeds, which give their voice only in exceptional cases, and quite noisy dogs.
But, unfortunately, this behavior very quickly becomes a habit, especially if your pet barks at everyone in a row from puppyhood. It is at an early age that you need to properly socialize the dog, gradually instilling in it the correct behavior. It is much more difficult and longer to wean an adult dog from harmful manners.
What to do if a dog barks at neighbors: dog handler advice
The reaction of dogs to a bell, knock on the door, or if someone outside enters a private territory, it is quite adequate and normal. The dog protects the owners and their possessions. But if your pet reacts inadequately to neighbors, barks at passers-by or barks at everything that moves behind the fence, this can turn into big problems, especially if you live in a multi-storey building.
In addition, there is a category of people who are terribly afraid of dogs or do not perceive animals at all. Therefore, wean you from barking at people from puppyhood.
In this situation, the method of censure and reward also works well. As soon as the dog pays attention to passers-by or starts barking at a neighbor, pull up the leash with force, shout, give a forbidding command. If the dog obeyed, praise.
It is very important that the dog, regardless of breed, immediately stops barking at your command. Practice the command quietly until the dog begins to obey it unquestioningly. Always praise the animal for good behavior and a completed task.
Never encourage people to bark at passers-by for no reason. Show your displeasure by not chatting or playing with your pet for a while. Dogs intuitively feel the mood of the owner and try to please him. You can give the treat before the “noisy reaction”.
If the dog barks at everyone behind the fence, distract his attention, call him over and give the command to ban with strict intonation. Don’t let your pet bark for no reason. Place a muzzle on your dog. This item of ammunition will fix the mouth, and the dog will not be able to bark.
What to do if a dog barks at people, dogs and cats
If your pet reacts inadequately to every rustle, every sound, barks at passers-by, rushes at cats, barks at other dogs for no reason, you need to find an individual approach and choose the right tactics, the most effective method of education.
Many people mistakenly believe that if you scold a dog for barking, its guard qualities are dulled. This is a wrong judgment. Using tactics of encouragement and censure, you can quickly wean your pet from this addiction. The dog must learn to correctly analyze the situation, and give a voice on the street only on command or in the event of a real threat.
To wean the dog to bark at everyone will help:
- Correct training. If you are inexperienced in dealing with animals, see a dog handler. After the basic course, the pet will develop the right skills.
- Ignoring barking. Use this option only if the dog is too emotional. For example, barks when you come home, invites you to play, begs for food.
- Teaching forbidden commands (“Fu”, “You can’t”), the command “Hush”, “Stop”.
- The use of special devices. There are collars, the principle of which is based on different methods of forcing the termination of unwanted behavior. These are electro-wounds, collars with a special liquid, ultrasound, the Anti-barking system, which is fixed on the neck and reacts to the vibration of the vocal cords, and other devices that correct barking.
- The surprise effect. As soon as the dog starts barking, clap your hands, slap the pet with a rolled newspaper, sprinkle with water.
Important! The use of electric collars cannot be attributed to humane methods of education, so use them if other methods did not give the desired result. Consult a veterinarian, dog handler.
Dog handlers advise that it is best to use a sharp pulling of the leash as a punishment, prohibiting commands given in a strict tone, commands for endurance. You can simply distract the dog and switch its attention to something else, more meaningful (toy, treat).
But give your puppy or adult dog a treat after a while. The coveted prey will occupy all the thoughts of the pet, and he will forget about the passer-by.
As soon as the dog starts barking, pull up the leash sharply, give a forbidden command in a strict tone. After completing the task, praise the dog. Use treat rewards only at the beginning of training. Otherwise, the dog will bark, begging for a treat.
How to wean a dog from barking at everyone: tips from a dog handler
Barking, whining, howling, and other sounds made by our smaller brothers are the main and only means of communication through which dogs, regardless of age and breed, communicate with each other. But if a dog barks at other animals or people during a walk, this can cause big problems not only for the breeder, but also for those around him. If you are interested in how to wean a dog from barking at everyone, we recommend reading this review.
Owners’ mistakes in upbringing
Owners should carefully study the habits of their pet, identify what causes anxiety, joy, fear, and only then move on to specific actions and training. Each animal is individual, has its own disposition, temperament, character. Even in the same litter, dogs will have a different psyche, a certain threshold of nervous excitability.
If a dog from puppyhood expresses any emotions by barking, for example, meeting you at home, you should not praise him and encourage barking. This will provoke the development of the wrong reflex. The dog feels praise and thinks that this behavior brings joy to the owner.
Don’t let your dog chase birds or cats. Stop if your pet shows an increased interest in passers-by. The dog should be neutral towards strangers. It is unacceptable to douse passers-by without a reason. Don’t let strangers provoke your dog. In this case, the dog will stop trusting the person and will bark at everyone for any reason.
Try to avoid situations that provoke the dog to bark. Monitor your behavior and environment at all times. Stop wrong actions at once, eradicate bad habits of your ward.
Act firmly, persistently, and consistently. Reinforce correct behavioral skills with systematic training. Even if you missed a moment in education or took an adult dog from a shelter, you need to understand that training and weaning from bad habits will take more time. Seek help from a dog handler, take a general training course.
How to stop a dog from barking
We express our thoughts and feelings using our voice, and dogs express their emotions using barking. Experienced owners, who know their pets well, can already determine the mood of their pet friend by the volume and frequency of barking. It would seem that there is nothing surprising and reprehensible in the barking of an animal. But when the doggie makes a noise almost incessantly, it can infuriate even the most patient person. Let’s take a look at just a few situations where a dog’s woof-woof can get you white-hot:
The owner tries unsuccessfully to watch a movie or to talk on the phone, and the dog does not stop talking;
There is a small child in the house who cannot sleep for a full hour due to loud barking;
The walls in the apartment building are thin, so all the neighbors listen to the dog’s “concert” day and night;
Actually, there are a great many situations when a dog’s barking can get mad. In this article we will try to find out why the animal barks, how to wean a dog from barking, and whether it is always worth forbidding a pet to voice.
Why do dogs bark
Since barking has many functions, you must determine the cause and your dog’s motivation for barking before you can address the problem. Dogs bark for a reason. Usually, animals give voice in such situations :
Fear of something (for example, sirens, thunder, screams, etc.);
Boredom (animals are often left alone, and it is so painful to wait for the arrival of the owner);
Fun (dogs like to give a voice, for example, when the owner is playing with them);
Anxiety (animals react by barking, for example, to the sound of a bell, a knock on the door, the arrival of strangers into the house, etc.);
Signal to the owner or manipulation (with his barking, the dog can call the owner to play, ask for food or invite him for a walk);
Rage (sometimes dogs “quarrel” with other individuals, especially males sin with this);
Each type of barking has a specific function for the dog . and if she is repeatedly rewarded for her barking. in other words, if barking gives the dog what it wants, then it can learn to use the barking to its advantage. For example, dogs that bark to attract the attention of their owner and successfully achieve their goal, they often continue to bark about other things, such as food, play and walks.
How not to act when weaning a dog from barking
Weaning a dog from barking at everyone in a row will be within the power of a consistent and fairly firm owner. Often people, trying to get rid of the habit of barking an animal, behave incorrectly, making the following mistakes:
Swearing and screaming in response to the barking of the dog. It happens that the owner himself behaves in no way better than his unbelted dog. It is not so uncommon when, in response to the barking of the dog, the owner’s shouts are heard (“Shut up!”, “Hell!”, “You’ll get it from me!”, Etc.). Such behavior on the part of a person will not only not calm the dog, but even more overexcite it;
The upbringing of the dog happens from time to time. It is possible to wean a dog from barking at home only through daily persistent exercises;
Beating as a means to silence the dog. Tumaki is a forbidden technique that should never be used;
Inattention to the cause of the dog’s barking. Yes, there are situations when an animal barks incessantly and for no particular reason (for example, it wants the owner to unschedule a cutlet from the table). But sometimes our pets try to warn about something important with the help of barking (for example, about a stranger entering the house or about the smell of burning). So it’s important to begin with recognizing why the dog is barking;
Ways to stop a dog from barking
The following tips will help you to wean your dog from barking in an apartment and on the street:
Study of the command “Quiet!” (or “Silence!”) . In order for the animal to stop barking at the command of the owner, you can take the following measures: while walking, wait until the dog begins to bark. In this case, you need to pronounce the command “Voice!”. After a couple of minutes of barking, you should carefully cover the pet’s mouth with your palms, saying the word “Quiet!” As soon as the animal is silent, it will need to be treated and praised. This exercise should be done daily, until the dog becomes silent at the owner’s command without manual manipulation and treats;
Touching the ears of a barking dog. Surprisingly, some animals stop barking if the owner suddenly and not strongly grabs them by the ears. Such an action confuses the dog, and the owner has several saving moments in order to switch the attention of the inflamed dog to something (for example, a toy);
So that the dog does not have the desire to bark at everyone around, it is reasonable to direct the pet’s energy to something useful . For example, many animals adore dog sports (frisbee. catching a flying disc, agility. overcoming obstacles, etc.), which not only give a lot of pleasant moments to the animal, but also exhaust it well. If it is not possible to teach the dog any discipline, you can just walk the pet for a longer time;
You can wean a dog to bark at home if you ignore the noise  (but only in those cases when the animal, barking, tries to manipulate the owner). For example, a pet starts a “song” if he does not want the owner to close in the shower (toilet, another room, on the balcony, etc.). It is wiser not to be led by the brawler, but to calmly do your business, not paying attention to the barking. So the dog will understand that it will not be possible to starve the owner;
Avoiding factors causing barking. If the doggie, for example, goes berserk at the sound of a washing machine, it is reasonable to take the animal for a walk while washing. Another option is to take the dog to the room farthest from the washer;
If the dog barks at guests, you can calm the animal by asking to demonstrate how to reduce the paw first to the owner, and then to each of the guests. It is important that each guest praises the dog, loudly and sincerely uttering the word “Well done!”;
Spraying water as a way to silence the dog. It happens that the animal is filled with barking at passers-by or at other dogs. If the command “Quiet!” does not work, you can resort to the method of spraying ordinary water from a small bottle with a spray bottle. Just do not need to aim at the eyes of the animal, it is enough to spray water into the head or neck area from a distance of about half a meter;
All of these methods can help wean the dog from barking if the owner is around. But what if the pet starts a “concert” in the absence of the owner? It is good if there is a family member at home who can calm the animal. If the doggie is completely alone, special devices for weaning from barking or medications are used:
Collars “Antilai” with citronella or lavender. As soon as the animal begins to bark, from a special capsule built into the collar, a fragrant aromatic oil begins to evaporate, the smell of which is unpleasant for animals;
Ultrasonic collars. react to barking by emitting an unpleasant sound that is intimidating to dogs;
Electric shock collars. are triggered when the movement of the dog’s larynx becomes more frequent. The shock is not strong, but rather unpleasant;
How to stop your dog from barking and howling at home when it is alone
No matter how much we love our beloved pets, none of us is ready to listen to their deafening gratuitous barking for hours or, worse, howl.
And imagine what emotions these sounds evoke in our neighbors, who may not feel any warm feelings at all either for animals in general, or for our dog in particular? But we are forced to listen to all this cacophony, the fire, how much in vain and the source of the sound, and its owners.
What to do if your dog breeds roulades and arias when he is alone at home?
Experts who understand the intricacies of canine psychology recommend starting by finding out the reason for this behavior. Simply by removing the symptoms (for example, with the help of an electronic anti-barking collar or even by cutting the vocal cords. they practice this), we will only drive the problem deeper.
Animal psychologists identify four main reasons for a dog’s barking when it is left alone. Each reason has its own way of solving the problem.
Cause Severe stress from a change of scenery
Dogs are very sensitive to any change in their usual circumstances.
Moving to another apartment, the appearance of another pet on their territory (or the introduction of an animal into someone else’s territory), a sharp change in your schedule. all this can deprive the dog of confidence in its safety and well-being.
If the dog has a strong character, and in general is quite resistant to all kinds of stimuli, such changes are unlikely to make him nervous. But if your pet is prone to being overly emotional, you may have trouble barking and howling.
In order for the dog to stop stunning its neighbors, you need to calm it down. If your dog is worried about changing housing, do not leave him alone in the new apartment the next day. Try to spend some time with your dog before leaving. Plan the move so that you have several days off ahead, which will be enough for the dog to understand that now everyone lives here, and not she alone, which they decided to leave here.
Problems can also arise with a sharp change in your lifestyle. If you used to be at home almost all the time, and now go to work for the whole working day, the dog may panic. Try to arrange at work to be able to work half a day at first. this will make it easier for the dog to adapt to your absence from home.
Get your households, friends and relatives to help. Let someone stay with the dog at least for a short time at first.
Cause the dog is afraid of being abandoned
A common problem among sheltered dogs, abandoned by their previous owners, picked up on the street.
Having experienced a strong shock in their lives, such animals in most cases become very strongly attached to their new owners. At the first stages of living together with a person, such attachment can be downright painful. the dog on the street constantly clings to its feet, fearing to get lost and again lose care and a warm corner.
There are often cases when the owners simply cannot leave the dog for a minute. she starts a real hysteria.
Over time, all these problems go away. Some dogs calm down after a month or two, others need six months. everything is very individual. Again, a lot depends on the sensitivity and temperament of the dog.
How to teach an injured dog to be calm about temporary separation from you?
You need to let her know that you are leaving for a short time, and you will definitely return.
This exercise is helpful. Get ready, dress so that the dog sees that you are going somewhere, and leave. Just not far. In the most difficult cases, a five-minute wait at the entrance is enough (just not under the door. the dog is listening to you behind it). Go down to another floor and stay there for a short time. Come back, praise the dog, talk to him. After a while, repeat the exercise, gradually increasing the time of your absence.
This is not a very easy and convenient way. But this is the only way your dog will understand that nothing threatens her with your departure. you have not forgotten her and left her, as once happened in her life. You are a different, real Master who will never leave his dog.
Cause The dog has a lot of unspent energy
Are your walks with the dog reduced to ten minutes of stomping along the same path near the house? Do not be surprised if your dog, out of boredom, begins to try himself as a siren.
Yes, with such an attitude to walking, you risk not only the discontent of neighbors, but also gnawed shoes, wires, furniture and other “delights” of keeping a dog that is not given due attention.
The best way is not to have a dog of active, temperamental, demanding breeds. If you do not have time and opportunities for a full walk, choose calm dogs. pug, Pekingese, poodle, mastino.
But if you have already acquired a “live”, take the trouble to devote time to it. If you do not have the opportunity to spend an hour on a walk, make your walks with the dog more intense. make the pet move more, follow various commands (mental load is also very important). Get a puller. a great way to give your dog a load without spending any effort. If possible in your city, try taking your dog to exercise on a treadmill.
A dog’s natural fatigue is the best way to keep the house calm. And be sure to buy special toys for dogs for your pet. balls, cotton ropes, latex traps and rings. The presence of such toys does not guarantee you STIHL, but it significantly increases the likelihood that the dog occupied with them will not arrange vocal tests for your neighbors.
Cause the dog needs attention
Perhaps the most difficult case. Often barking and howling dogs, prone to dominant behavior, try to insist on their own. For them, this is a kind of game with the owner in “who will win?”.
Asserting its leadership, the dominant dog will bark until it gets what it wants. And having received, he will learn a lesson: “You need to bark, and then everything will be my way”.
Do not encourage! Often the owners make the following mistake. by punishing the dog, in fact, they approve of its behavior. For example, you close the door behind you, and after taking a step towards the elevator, you hear “” Awff Awff Awff. ” You turn around, open the door and start reprimanding the dog for its behavior. But it only seems to you that you are acting like a strict educator. The dog has a completely different logical sequence: I bark. he comes. I’m great, I will force everyone to obey.
In this situation, you need to work in two directions at once. First, it is necessary to engage in the prevention and correction of dominant behavior in the dog. Secondly, to use special means. here the electronic collar “Antilay” may even come in handy. Its essence boils down to the fact that the dog gets unpleasant sensations (light electrical discharge) every time it starts barking.
But Antilai is by no means a panacea. Many dogs quickly figure out what’s what and stop barking only when they are wearing a collar. As soon as you lose your guard and forget to put it on, the “songs” return. In addition, such a collar can in itself become a strong stress factor, especially if the dog is already prone to excessive stress. We strongly do not recommend to wear “Anti-bark” for a long time, when you cannot control the condition of the dog.
In any case, whatever the reason for the dog’s barking, you will have to be patient and work to fix the problem. If you cannot do this on your own, contact an experienced dog handler or zoopsychologist for help.
And finally, a funny video with a dog playing a Christmas song.
Let your pet only please you with its musical abilities!