Question: Why is it worth teaching your dog to go to the toilet at home??
Dogs that can walk to the toilet. Evolution.
Dogs that can walk to the toilet. Evolution.
How to train your dog to toilet on the street. How to train your Labrador to toilet on the street.
The easiest and most adequate way to train your dog to toilet on the street. The dog does not want to go to the toilet outside. The Labrador does not go outside. An easy way to train your dog to go to the toilet outside
We teach the dog to go to the toilet on the street or a diaper We teach the puppy correctly To the toilet on command
Subscribe to my instagram, I give a lot of useful tips there:.
How to toilet train your puppy quickly and at a time? How to teach to walk on a diaper? To accustom to the street or to leave the diaper until the last? Can you poke your muzzle so that it gets to him? Praising a treat? Went to the toilet in the wrong place!
Honestly, you will not surprise me with any question), which I just haven’t heard in practice. Although it would seem, do not scold the dog and praise for walking in the right place. But no, and here it turns out there are many details.
PS: How do you like the new short video format?).
PS: How do you like Russia in the background?) Only after the shooting did I see all the beauty of the Khrushchevs from the side)).
00:00 Hi, I’m Igor .
00:21 Don’t poke your dog’s face.
01:05 Learning through encouragement.
01:29 I highlight the action with intonation.
01:53 Don’t be afraid to interrupt the process.
02:15 Diaper or street?
02:59 Goes to the toilet by texture.
03:21 Unusual problems from practice.
04:29 Imposing a command for the toilet.
04:58 I get used to a convenient schedule.
05:10 The dog went to the sofa / carpet.
05:42 I don’t use special sprays.
50 tricks of the border collie Siri:
5 simple tricks any dog can do:
All about the border collie. Trainer experience.
My WhatsApp contact number:
7 (918) 157-51-62
Why a dog goes to the toilet at home How to wean a dog to write and crap at home The appearance of a pet in the house takes time and extra effort in order to instill good habits in the dog. What to do if an adult dog starts to leave puddles in the house. It is worth pondering why the dog does not go to the toilet on Usually the puppy learns to go to the toilet on the street in.
Teaching your dog to go to the toilet on the street is simple and difficult at the same time. Basically, you only need to focus on two things: avoiding blemishes at home and praising the need for good while walking. 1 How to teach a dog to go to the toilet on 1.7 How to teach a puppy to toilet on the street in a private house; 1.8 Why is it better to take your dog to the toilet on.
Many dog owners are worn out by how often their dog shits in an apartment or house, there are cases after a walk, a pet still goes to the toilet in the apartment. Let’s analyze in more detail and give real ones. After you study our instructions on how to teach a dog to go to the toilet on the street, you will significantly increase your chances of retraining a dog, teaching a puppy.
The methods that are used to wean a puppy and a young dog from going to the toilet in a home are not suitable when it comes to an old pet. Many. What to do if the dog started to shit at home. Useful video.
Effective methods of reeducation. We teach the dog to go to the toilet on the street. Adult dog shits in. Recommendations from dog handlers and advice from experienced owners on how to train your dog to go to the toilet on the street. The system of punishments and rewards, prohibited techniques and methods.
How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet on the street? At the time of the appearance of the baby in the house, you should know how to tame the puppy to the toilet, so that later you do not have to fool yourself and then think about how to wean the dog from writing at home. How to teach a dog to go to the toilet For those who have never kept a dog in the house, it seems that it is quite simple.
I got a dog, put it on a litter, and let it endure hardship until the owner deigns to take a walk. Why does a dog pee and shit at home. he can play fun and not go to the toilet. It is important to remember, With the appearance of a dog in the house, our life is undoubtedly.
There are four things to keep in mind when teaching your puppy to relieve himself outdoors:
- A dog is not a robot. At first, success and failure can alternate. If the puppy has gone to the toilet twice on the street, and the third time is at home, there is no need to sound the alarm. He needs time to adapt to new requirements.
- First, you have to control literally every movement of the puppy. You need to learn to understand whether he wants to go to the toilet or not. over, to understand immediately, and not immediately before an undesirable action.
- It is better to start teaching your puppy to go to the toilet on the street if he is accustomed to defecate in the same place in the house. You can do without it, but it will be more difficult.
- You will have to go outside up to 10-12 times a day. It may turn out that you have to take the dog outside at 2-3 o’clock in the morning.
- Choose a few free days during which you can be at home. It can be weekends or holidays. Plan your time so you don’t have to leave home.
- Prepare a treat. If you are walking your puppy with a collar and leash, prepare them too.
- Watch your puppy closely. When you see that he is going to relieve himself, immediately take him outside. The faster the better.
- If possible, choose the quietest place in which the dog will not be disturbed by extraneous factors. Avoid places for walking dogs, playgrounds, places near highways.
- Let the puppy go. If you are not using a leash, simply release the animal from your hands. If you are walking on a leash, let the dog fly away from you. Do not disturb the puppy by pulling the leash and shouting.
- Wait for the puppy to go to the toilet.
- Praise him instantly, reward him with a treat.
These steps should be repeated every time the puppy wants to use the toilet. The most important thing is regularity (at least for several days in a row). Do not be lazy and allow your puppy to go to the toilet at home if you have already started teaching him to do it on the street.
Do not take your puppy home immediately after it has defecated. You need to walk for at least another 10-15 minutes to make your way out into the street more or less a full-fledged walk. It will be great if the puppy goes to the toilet again during this short walk. Naturally, every time the pet needs to be praised. If you decide to reward your puppy with a treat, you need to do this every time, without missing out on the reward.
In the case of an adult dog, there is no clear course of action. You need to remember the basic principles of the owner’s behavior, and then act according to the situation.
- If there are signs that your dog wants to use the toilet, take him outside immediately. The algorithm is the same as in the case of training a puppy.
- You can punish the dog by lightly hitting it on the withers. Better not to hit the animal with your hand. The owner’s hand should be associated with delicacy, not punishment. To do this, you can take, for example, a newspaper. Don’t try to hurt the dog. Your task is to show that the animal did the wrong thing, and not to demonstrate physical superiority.
- If you find an adult dog in the process of defecating, immediately scold him and stop the process from completing. Take the contents outside and wait for the dog to finish what he started there.
- The place where the dog has relieved must be treated with a disinfectant to remove even the slightest odor. You can use a special spray to wean dogs from relieving themselves at home.
It is impossible to pinpoint the amount of time it will take to train your dog to go to the toilet outside. It all depends on her temperament, character and previous lifestyle.
Teaching an adult dog
Adult dog relieves on the street
First you need to decide which dog we are dealing with:
- The dog lived in an apartment or in the house of another owner;
- The dog lived in a booth;
- Animal picked up from the street.
If an adult dog, accustomed to living indoors, refuses to go to the toilet outside, most likely it is simply not used to the new environment. For feces at home, you can slightly scold her, but nothing more. You cannot create stressful situations. this interferes with the adaptation process. When the animal gets used to a new home and owner, it will behave as before.
If the dog lived in a kennel or was homeless, you will have to train it from scratch. Such an animal is accustomed to relieve itself in any place accessible to it. Teaching an adult dog to go to the toilet on the street is much more difficult than a puppy.
Different situations, different approaches
To choose the right way to learn, you need to consider several factors:
- Age: puppy or adult;
- Where did you get the dog: bought a puppy, took an adult dog from other owners, or picked up an animal from the street;
- Education: knowledge of basic commands (“To me”. “Fu”, “Lie down”, “Sit”);
- Features of temperament: calm or impulsive animal.
Age is a key factor. The puppy learns more easily because it has not yet developed a stable behavior. An adult dog, like an adult, tends to act out of habit. This habit is not easy to “break”: it takes a lot of time and effort.
The second factor is equally important. The puppy does not yet divide his behavior into right and wrong. it’s time to teach him how to do it. With an adult dog living in a booth and a stray animal, it is much more difficult. they need to prove that they cannot go to the toilet anytime, anywhere.
The rest of the factors indicate the complexity and duration of the training. Of course, it will be easier if the dog already knows something and behaves quite calmly. If this is not the case, you will have to look for methods of pacification and additional motivation for the dog (for example, not only a treat, but also a game).
Teaching a puppy
Do not wonder
- Puppies have a very fast metabolism. They can go to the toilet very often. Dogs begin to tolerate only from six months of age.
- A puppy under 4 months old may not be physically able to contain himself. Therefore, learning started too early will be stressful for both you and him.
- A young dog, rejoicing at the arrival of the owner home, can “write for joy” right in the hallway. You can’t scold for this.
How to train your puppy to be outdoors?
By the age of 3 months, the quarantine ends and the little creature can already safely walk. So, it’s time to learn how to train a puppy to the street, right now. There are general rules that will greatly facilitate the learning process:
- try to walk outside with your dog at least 5 times a day. When the pet is six months old, you can reduce the number of walks to 3;
- To train your puppy to walk, take a walk after eating, playing, and sleeping. Sooner or later, your four-legged friend will understand exactly what you want from him;
- do not forget to generously praise your pet after relieving himself on the street. Sometimes you can treat him with a treat. But don’t make it a tradition. Otherwise, the dog will make puddles at home, demanding treats;
- to train the puppy to the street, play with the dog and train it only after she has done all the work. Until this happens, calmly walk along the designated route. This is the only way the pet will understand that walks on the street are primarily needed to cope with needs. And only then. for entertainment;
- try not to leave the walk until the goal is achieved. A small pet should at least once do their business in the fresh air;
- when you come home, do not rush to lay carpets and clean trays. It is unlikely that walks will help immediately wean the puppy from crap at home. at first, he will still do dirty tricks in the apartment out of habit.
Do not even hope to quickly train your puppy to be outdoors. This is a painstaking process that requires patience and understanding. Do not rush to the animal, otherwise it may take revenge on you. Also, the dog may urinate on the floor for fear. Therefore, do whatever is necessary and rely on your dog. sooner or later you will see that it was not in vain that you believed in it.
Some owners are wondering how to teach a puppy to endure before walking? Sometimes tailed creatures physically cannot wait until you take them for a walk. Therefore, the schedule of the promenade should be regular. And one more thing: retention of urine harms the bladder. Take care of your dog’s health and don’t make him wait too long.
How to teach your dog to go to the toilet outside?
So much literature has been shoveled, so much effort has been invested in the arrangement of a cozy place, and now he appears. a puppy! And it would seem that nothing can darken the joy of the appearance of a long-awaited family member. Nothing but. a puddle on the floor. That is why pet owners first of all ask the question “how to train a dog to go to the toilet on the street?”.
Of course, if you have a Chihuahua dog, you can easily get by with a litter box. But for larger dogs, and indeed for all dogs, it is useful to walk on the street. And cleaning the tray is far from the most pleasant process. Why not combine the useful with the pleasant by solving the problem “how to train a dog to toilet on the street” once and for all.
Raising a dog needs to be done from the very moment it crosses the threshold of your house. After all, the habits of four-legged creatures are formed at an early age. Many dog owners mistakenly believe that puppies should be pampered. Plus, wiping up a puddle in the hallway isn’t that difficult. Now imagine what an adult dog will make such puddles? That’s the same.
Of course, at first, when puppies go to the toilet 8-10 times a day, puddles on the carpet or even on the couch should be taken for granted. In addition, it is contraindicated to take the dog out into the street before the pictures after the vaccination are over. But you still need to take some measures:
- Remove moisture-wicking coverings from the floor. Limit the animal’s access to sofas, beds, armchairs and chairs;
- observe where the puppy relieves. Place a tray in this place or spread a special diaper;
- do not give up and start raising a dog.
How exactly to train a tiny creature to go to the toilet on the street? We will talk about this now.
How to train an adult dog to be outdoors?
You have quite an adult dog, but can he easily make a puddle right at home? The situation is critical! How to train the dog to walk in this case? First, figure out why the animal is doing this. It is necessary to exclude the fact that the animal is sick. After all, the cause of wet floors can be banal cystitis. Take the animal to the vet and make sure it is healthy before you start training.
How to teach a dog to go to the toilet on the street if it is completely healthy? The algorithm is simple: proceed in the same way as if you were raising a puppy. But reduce the number of walks to 2. Walking regularly with your pet at the same time, you will see that the result is not long in coming. Because dogs are smart creatures.
How to wean an adult dog to spoil at home? The first step is to become a leader for your dog. Not an object that can hurt or keep at bay, but a leader, a leader. Never hit a dog or poke his face into a puddle, as some experts advise. But if you find a pet doing a dirty business, express your dissatisfaction with words.
By showing sincere care and love for the dog, raising it and walking the dog on time, you will wean him from doing nasty things at home.
How to train your dog to go to the toilet indoors and outdoors
If a puppy appears in your house, but you are not able to spend all your time with him, because forced to travel to work, sooner or later you will have a problem: how to train your puppy to toilet on the street or at home. Naturally, such training is quite difficult to complete and it requires a lot of effort and time. But in the end, you will no longer be annoyed by frequent piles and puddles in the hallway or an unpleasant smell.
Physiological needs of the animal
It is only natural for dogs to have to go to the toilet, because this is one of their physiological needs. The intensity of such trips can vary depending on the age or condition of the pet, climatic features of the area, diet or individual characteristics of the animal.
Scientists believe that 2-3 trips to the toilet per day are enough for an adult dog to urinate. The act of defecation can occur 1-2 times a day. The intensity of urination may increase with an increase in air temperature, feeding with various dry foods, in cold weather, or with certain diseases of the metabolic or genitourinary system. Also, this intensity increases during sexual activity or if your puppy / dog spends all of his time outdoors.
We must not forget about such a need for dogs as marking their territory. In this case, the frequency of going to the toilet increases significantly. But here everything depends on the age of the pet, and on the specific features of his character and behavior.
To avoid possible trouble, you should think over the timetable for walking the dog in advance, taking into account all the subtleties from the preliminary observation of the animal. Do not forget that an adult, healthy and well-mannered dog should be walked every 12 hours and at least. Dogs accustomed to cleanliness can develop various diseases of the genitourinary system if they are not walked on time. You can calculate the walking time using the formula: number of hours = age (full months) 1.
If you need to train your dog to toilet at home, then you can use several separate solutions:
- newspaper as a toilet;
- tray with special fillers (suitable for small puppies);
- disposable diaper;
If you are choosing a newspaper or diaper as a disposable toilet, it is best to place it in a separate tray. In its capacity, you can take a regular pallet without a grid. In this case, you will not worry about the fact that some of the puppy’s feces got on the floor or under the baseboard of the apartment.
The litter tray is ideal for cats, but can be used for dogs too. It’s no secret that most cats bury their waste in the ground. Unfortunately, puppies do not have such a reflex. They have enough to defecate on a newspaper.
When installing a toilet for a dog at home, you should take care that it does not have high sides, is firmly fixed and does not stagger. Often, when buying a puppy, you are assured that he is accustomed to cleanliness and there will be no problems with his m. But only the puppy remains in the apartment alone, he immediately takes up his “affairs”. And there are two explanations for such troubles:
- The puppy was never trained to go to the toilet;
- He just got confused in a new place and it will take him some time to get used to the changes;
It is also worth asking what the puppy’s toilet looked like when he lived with the breeders. This will speed up the learning process.
Tips for training dogs to use the toilet in the home
To improve training efficiency and save time, consult with experienced dog handlers or breeders in advance. For example, if you absolutely do not want your puppy to handle in a certain area, buy a special product from the veterinary pharmacy that will serve as an “anti-odor”. This method allows you to quickly and effectively wean the dog from stool in a specific place.
When to train your puppy to go to the toilet on the street or in the house
Some people make a big mistake: they start toilet training as soon as they buy it. But such an action requires a lot of patience and time. It is worth choosing a place in advance that will serve as a toilet and never change it. Also, do not forget that the older the dog, the more difficult the learning process becomes.
After purchasing a puppy, it is better to immediately remove all rugs or carpets from the floor of the apartment. After all, an active puppy will immediately want to “tint” them. Having made a puddle on a soft rug, he will certainly want to repeat this exciting activity.
How Can You Train A Dog To Use The Toilet. Toilet Training For Small Dogs
And an unpleasant smell can appear in the house, which is very difficult to get rid of. Even special preparations are not able to completely remove the unpleasant smell from the apartment, and he will attract a small puppy to this place every time he wants to go to the toilet.
Try to study the behavior of a small puppy. He looks in advance at the place that will serve him as a toilet. The dog’s physiological instincts indicate the boundaries of the place to be marked. Often such places are places near a door, under a window or near a balcony. Also, the puppy can run to the bathroom or any other closed place to defecate. If he does it regularly, be sure to install a litter box and rid the room of rugs.
You may even need to install multiple pallets at once to train your dog to be clean. Do not put them away until your pet has found the only place to put the toilet. After all, small puppies tend not to have time to run to the specified place. Older individuals are able to “endure” much longer, so 1-2 trays can be left in the house. There are times when your dog only goes to the toilet when you are indoors. But as soon as you leave him, he starts urinating again wherever he wants. This is due to the following factors:
- The litter box may have become uncomfortable or small for the matured puppy;
- Perhaps you are not at home for a very long time, and it is simply unpleasant for the dog to go to a very dirty toilet. In this case, they start looking for other places to defecate.
How to train your dog to toilet outdoors
If you do not want to train your dog to toilet in the house and think that it should only do it outdoors, be sure to read the expert advice on this matter.
The first walks on the street can be carried out only when the quarantine time ends, after the vaccination. The timing can be obtained from the breeder, where the puppy was bought.
The frequency of walking varies, and it varies according to the age of the dog. But remember that training for an adult dog can be much more difficult than for a small puppy. Therefore, walk your puppy at least 5 times a day until he is six months old. As you get older, the intensity of walking can be reduced to three hikes a day.
It is best to walk your dog after eating, sleeping, or active play. If the puppy obediently performs his task on the street, do not forget to praise him and give him a treat. Only after the dog has completed his natural need, you can continue to play with him or train.
The more often you train your dog to be clean, the more effective the training will be.
Only return home when the dog has defecated.
If you take all the responsibility of teaching your dog to cleanliness, you will be able to raise a truly obedient and clean dog that will save you from numerous problems.
How to toilet train your dog
It’s good to be the owner of a smart dog who can do amazing things like going to the toilet. If you wish, you can teach the dog to the toilet, but even if the training ends with success, it is unacceptable to deprive the animal of daily walks.
Of course, you can teach an animal to relieve the need for a toilet on a special diaper or in a tray, which is much easier, but sometimes pet owners want to be proud of them or want to teach them to use the toilet in order to maintain cleanliness and eliminate the need to clean up after animals that have relieved themselves in the absence of the owner.
Stages of toilet training
The main principles of toilet training are consistency and positive reinforcement. It should be noted right away that it will take time, because the learning process can take several months, as well as a huge supply of patience and a desire to achieve the goal.
Dogs can connect words and actions. Therefore, when walking a pet and seeing its intentions to relieve itself, it is important to associate its actions with a key word. a command according to which in the future the animal will go to the toilet. The keyword can be, for example, the word “pot”, “pee-pee” or any other word. At the initial stage, the pet must learn to understand the owner’s command, while not forgetting about the encouragement. If, once having said the key word, while in the house, the dog will go to the front door in order to be walked, then it is time to train the pet to the house toilet.
At the next stage, the animal needs to be introduced to the place where it has to relieve itself, namely, let it sniff the toilet, toilet bowl. Then, already start teaching your pet to relieve himself in the tray next to the toilet. This stage should not cause difficulties, but it is important to observe the animal, notice its behavior, which signals that the animal wants to go to the toilet, and, not missing this moment, pronounce the command learned in the first stage. If a dog lives according to a clear schedule, then it is already known when approximately he relieves, and the puppies usually want to go to the toilet after sleeping or eating. Since the pet already knows what the team is connected with, he will quickly learn what he needs to do in the toilet, and for motivation and better memorization he is taken to the toilet every 2-3 hours during the day, put in a comfortable position, repeating the command, and be sure to give a treat. As soon as the animal successfully descends into the tray, it is praised, a treat is given, and after a few repetitions, they move on to the next stage.
After the dog gets used to the litter box, gradually, as the animal gets used to it, it is raised higher until the height of the litter box is equal to the height of the toilet bowl. The tray must be strong and capable of supporting the weight of the animal, and the support must be stable. If the dog slips or the litter box falls, then this can scare him and then the pet will no longer trust the owner and the training may come to naught.
When the animal gets used to walking into the litter box on command, it’s time to move on to the next step in toilet training. The tray is moved to the toilet, you can use special systems designed to train cats to the toilet. The main thing is that the tray is securely fixed. The contents of the litter box, after the dog has gone out of necessity, do not need to be removed immediately. There should be a scent that will tell the animal where to pee next time. A similar way can be seen in the video below.
Noticing that the animal goes to the toilet on its own, the tray is removed. When your pet first does things in the toilet, without a tray, you do not need to immediately flush behind it. As in the previous step, the smell will tell the animal where to relieve itself. If the pet suddenly misses, then it cannot be punished. Just next time you need to show the animal the correct actions and position.
By the way, when teaching a small breed dog to the toilet, you need to take care that the pet does not slide off the toilet, usually small dogs jump on it and place all four paws on the rim. To prevent slipping, it is best to install a rim covered with non-slip fabric. Large animals usually lift their hind legs, balancing and doing all things on the weight, or rest their hind legs on the rim.
Teaching your pet to raise and lower the lid, rim, flush and close the toilet door will take more time and effort, but such actions should be taught after the dog is used to going to the toilet. Enter the listed actions in turn, gradually complicating the task.
When accustoming your dog to the toilet, you should not make too fast transitions between stages. Mastering each stage can take days, weeks, months.
If the idea of teaching a dog to go to the toilet haunts, then you should be patient and do not expect that the training will end in success. Before starting training, you should think about the need to implement this idea. Physically, the dog can go to the toilet, but one should not forget that it will have to cope in an unnatural position, especially if the dog is a large breed. Human toilets are not designed for animals, and their shape and size do not match the anatomy of a dog. On the one hand, it is convenient if the pet goes to the toilet on its own, and even flushes after itself, but what if you imagine a person who relieves in an unnatural position, lifting his legs up or balancing on his hands? However, everyone decides for himself what to train his pet.
When to start teaching your puppy to go to the outside toilet?
You can train a puppy to toilet outside the house from the time when full walks are available to him, and his body is sufficiently formed so that he can control himself in matters of toilet.
As you know, until the pet is vaccinated for the first time, it is necessary to go out with him on the street, rather, in order to acquaint him with the environment. A four-legged friend must be held in your arms and not allowed to communicate with other animals and people. It is logical that it is impossible to teach a dog to go to the toilet on the street in such conditions.
The vaccination campaign ends with the third vaccination when the dog turns 3 months old. After the 10th quarantine, you can walk. usually she is about 3.5 months old at this time. In addition, from about 4 months old, puppies physiologically develop to such an extent that they endure before leaving the house, and not arrange a toilet at the nearest point. An excellent age for getting used to sanitary walks!
Preparation for training
First, a few tips for hosts:
- please be patient. No matter how smart the dog is, it will take time for him to understand what you want from him and to learn to endure until the street. Tune in in advance that the learning process may not be too fast;
- make a feeding plan (preferably in conjunction with a veterinarian). Determine the optimal serving size and how many feedings you need per day. Have meals on schedule and don’t let your four-legged friend eat between meals. Puppies have a very fast metabolism, and the more often they eat, the more often you will need to go out;
- Prepare an especially tasty treat in advance that you will use to reward your dog for doing things on the street. It should be kept where you can pick it up very quickly when going out with your puppy. Treats should be small (about the size of a nail). For each trip to the toilet. 3-5 pieces;
- in some cases, treats alone are not enough to motivate. Think about what would be a good motivation for your pet.
It is best to start training on vacation or at least on the weekend. you should be at home all day and be able to breed the puppy many times. And when you start training, don’t give it up halfway.
How to stop going to the toilet at home
An important part of training is getting your dog to stop sanitizing your home. The following tips will help:
If possible, it is better to remove the carpets for a while, as it is very difficult to remove odors from them.
- If you find excrement in the house, do not throw it away right away. take it with you to the sanitary exit, put it in the right place and take the dog to smell. This will help her go to the toilet outside.
- If you catch a puppy doing things in the house, do not yell at him. Instead, gently interrupt, you can say “No, no!”, Clap your hands. After that, put on a leash and go outside. Do not forget to reward your pet when he completes what he started there.
The popular method is “poking” pets with their muzzle in their “mistakes”. This is a completely wrong approach and will not produce the desired results. Also, you can not punish puppies if they did not endure or made a mistake, for example, during the game. Like children, they still have poor bladder control (dogs begin to do this at 4-6 months). If you punish for “incidents,” the puppy will know that you are unhappy, but he will not be able to change his physiology. Therefore, there is a great chance that he will simply start to be afraid of you and choose more secluded corners for sanitary purposes.
How to teach your puppy to go to the toilet outside
So, you have chosen a time when the puppy can go outside, you have the opportunity to devote it all day (and probably even the night). You have set up a feeding schedule and stick to it. You can start learning!
Your main task is to understand when your pet wants to go to the toilet, and when you notice the first signs, quickly take it on a leash and go outside. Dogs usually need this after sleeping, eating, exercising, and playing. The behavior of a four-legged friend will tell you about the impending need. he can spin in place, sniff, crouch. If you spend enough time with your dog, you will learn to see these signs.
When you are outdoors, find a quiet and peaceful place where no one will distract your pet. no other animals, no people, no toys. Often the owner himself switches attention: like all children, puppies are easily distracted, so do not pull the leash, call, play or talk to the dog. Just walk back and forth and let her go to the bathroom in peace. Be patient, even if a long time has passed and there is still no result. Noticing that the dog has begun to do its thing, quietly praise it, and when it is finished, encourage it with a treat. Now you can play, take a walk, etc.
Such exits need to be arranged every time the pet shows a desire to go to the toilet. Stick to the algorithm for at least a few days so that the puppy clearly understands what is required of him. If you have already started training, do not be lazy and do not let “go home one more time, it’s okay.” Such indulgences will not lead to effective results and will only prolong the total training time.
As with feeding, it is also worth making a schedule for sanitation trips. Usually it is 6-12 outputs, depending on the age of the pet, training, breed. Be sure to stick to your chosen schedule! At least a few days until the puppy gets used to it.
How to train your puppy to toilet outdoors
How to train a puppy to go to the toilet on the street is one of the most important questions that every owner must decide by having a pet. As with many animals, the main “sanitary” rule of dogs is not to empty where they sleep. Therefore, they do not need to go to the toilet on the street, and if the owner wants to instill such behavior in his four-legged friend, it is important to teach him correctly. Both very young and adult dogs have their own training features. Let’s look at both options.
Frequent problems and solutions
Puppy continues to pee at home or defecate in a cage
- If the training does not bear fruit, most likely you are not training your pet well enough, you have made the wrong schedule, you cannot catch the moment when you need to leave. Adjust basic training aspects, consult your veterinarian if necessary.
- If the puppy arranges a toilet in the cage, most likely it is too large, and the dog has the opportunity to allocate a “bedroom” and “sanitary zone” for himself. The optimal size is such that the animal can lie, stand and sit freely. If the area has nothing to do with it, you should go to an appointment with the veterinarian. The puppy may have been kept in the cage for too long before and had no choice but to use the space provided “for other purposes.” This behavior requires correction, but it can be difficult to do it without a specialist. In addition, the desire to lie in your own excrement and other atypical habits may be associated with certain diseases.
You can’t catch the moment when you have to go outside
- Be with your puppy at all times. Temporarily restrict his movement around the apartment so that he is in the same room with you. close the doors, put special gates in the openings.
- If you still can’t do it, use the cage. But in moderation!
The puppy doesn’t want to pee in the street; he walks and plays instead of meeting sanitary needs
- Some owners note that “they go out and the dog doesn’t piss or poop.” Wait at least 10 minutes and do not distract the puppy. If nothing happens, go back home and try again after another 10-15 minutes. Sometimes a third try is required.
- Check leash is 2 m long.
- Often the puppy does not go to the toilet, because the owner distracts him. he switches the attention of the animal to himself. In order not to get in the way, just wander back and forth. Don’t talk to the dog, don’t try to play.
- Check that the four-legged friend has no other distractions. toys, other dogs.
How to train an adult dog
To teach an adult dog to go to the toilet outdoors, follow these tips:
- If earlier she lived in a house, and not in a booth, her “mistakes” are most likely associated with stress from moving to you, from a new environment, etc. In this case, you can slightly scold the pet for “mistakes”, but do not punish him. In general, your task is to help him adapt. The sooner this happens, the sooner the behavior will return to normal.
- If before the dog lived in a booth, she was not accustomed to the fact that you cannot arrange a toilet in any place convenient for her and must be tolerated until the street. In this case, the pet will have to actually be trained from scratch. The technique is generally the same as for puppies, but there are two important differences. On the one hand, adult animals do not need to be taken out so often. usually 3-4 times are enough for them. On the other hand, it is not as easy to train them as puppies because they already have established habits and behaviors. You may need professional help to change them.
7 Quick Tips for TOILET TRAINING a Puppy or Dog
If enough time has passed since the move, and you are unable to train your pet, this is a reason to see the veterinarian. Also, do not ignore the visit if the dog suddenly changes its behavior and, seemingly having learned to walk outside, again began to arrange sanitary stops in the house. And if you have a dog targeting territory, consider neutering.