The main requirements for a hygienic filler are:
- complete safety for the body of animals;
- high degree of liquid absorption;
- the ability to absorb the maximum amount of unpleasant odors.
The most suitable material for these purposes is a granular filler made from environmentally friendly sawdust. It is able to react instantly with feces and bind them safely for a long time.
Representatives of the Hare family get acquainted with the environment primarily with the help of taste buds, so the litter must be hypoallergenic and non-toxic, otherwise the animal may get serious poisoning.
They will help to absorb all feces in a quality manner, but such a bed must be changed after each bowel movement. Bulk materials are not able to dryly bind all liquids, and domestic rabbits go out of need exclusively in clean and dry places.
How to train your rabbit to use the litter box
Decorative rabbits are stubborn in nature, so it is much more difficult to train them to the litter box than cats. The animal practically does not admit its mistakes, so punishments during training are useless. In addition, excessive persistence can lead to the complete rejection of a stationary toilet, which threatens not only the spread of an unpleasant odor from the cage, but also health problems for the pet.
The success of training animals depends on many factors, which is why it is difficult to predict the appearance of the first results. Young animals are often most prone to training, so it is recommended to teach your pet to hygiene from a young age. This process will require tolerance, persistence and understanding.
Only in this case, in 2-3 weeks it will be possible to thoroughly instill in the pet new rules of behavior.
Basic steps for toilet training a rabbit:
- The animal must be introduced to the toilet container; for this, it is placed in a cage together with the filler for several days. During this time, the pet should get used to the litter box and stop perceiving it as a stress factor.
- After the animal has settled down, a small amount of feces or dirty bedding should be added to the pellets. This will help attract the rabbit and show him for what purpose this area of the cage exists.
- If the rabbit has not started going to the toilet on its own, he needs to be strongly explained why a new accessory has appeared in the cage. To do this, you should wait for the moment when the animal will sit down for excrement, and a few seconds before the start of the process, transplant it into the tray. In this case, it is imperative to control that the litter does not fall out of the tray, otherwise the rabbit will shit all over the cage.
- In the first few days, the furry pet will strongly reject the new hygiene rules, so persistence and patience should be maintained. If the pet stubbornly ignores the litter box, several toilet containers must be installed in the cage at once. this will help the animal to determine the optimal place for feces on its own.
Why did the trained rabbit stop going to the litter box?
Often, decorative rabbits can be successfully trained, but in some cases, the result fixed with heavy efforts can be instantly lost. This leads to the fact that the pet begins to shit outside the toilet, in any place convenient for him.
There can be many reasons for drastic behavioral changes, but in most cases this is a direct consequence of all kinds of stress, or the physiological characteristics of the body.
Among them, the most common are the following:
- Decrease in the tray causes moral discomfort. this often happens when an animal is carelessly treated, when it does not feel like the master of its territory; in this case, natural marking of the terrain occurs. You can overcome the problem with careful and attentive handling of the animal. The cage should be a home for him and not cause negative emotions, and the place of the toilet should be arranged in a remote and darkened corner of the dwelling.
- Puberty. at the age of 3-4 months, representatives of the Hare family enter puberty. The fluffy animal becomes an adult, so it hurries to mark its territory by all means. This process is natural for almost all animals and takes place over time. Timely castration can prevent it.
- The appearance of a new animal. if feces outside the tray began due to the appearance of a new relative in the cage, you should not scold the pet, since it simply marks its territory. This is a natural norm, therefore, in this case, it takes a short time to adapt to new conditions (no more than a few days).
- Stressful situation. rabbits are quite shy, the appearance of any stress factors in their habitat causes them a strong shock. Most often, such a pet feels severe stress after the arrival of guests, the appearance of a new territory, being picked up by a stranger, or another animal appearing in the apartment. As a result, the animal can completely lose all skills learned before. Refreshing the pet’s memory will help in this situation. for this you need to repeat the litter training again. In most cases, after a few days, he will again remember what he learned.
How to toilet train a decorative rabbit
Decorative rabbits are smart and clean pets, so animal lovers are happy to have fluffy animals. However, such a home resident often brings the owners not only positive emotions, but also certain troubles. Since the rabbit needs a toilet, it must be litter trained from an early age. But it will take a lot of effort and patience to teach the animal simple rules of hygiene.
How to choose the right one
The choice of a high-quality and correct litter box is the main condition for successful rabbit training. He perceives this hygienic item as a foreign body, so the tray must be comfortable for the animal. Otherwise, excessive discomfort can permanently discourage the animal from going to the toilet according to the rules.
- When keeping a rabbit in a small area, the corner tray is the most convenient. It has a triangular shape, which allows it to be installed in one of the corners of the cage with a minimum waste of free space.
- When keeping an animal in a large cage or in a special fence, a small rectangular tray is optimal. Its main advantage is the ability to install anywhere.
The tray must have a wire rack or mesh. This design makes it possible to achieve an optimal balance of hygiene and comfort for the animal, since it does not require changing the bedding after each bowel movement.
In addition, a vessel with a grate provides direct contact with the litter, and this is not only perceived by the rabbit positively, but also arouses increased interest, which is important for early learning.
What is worth knowing
It is very important to be patient and meek. Any aggression or shouting will nullify all efforts. The animal will become afraid and avoid you. In such a state, no learning will succeed. It is much better to reward the right action. When the pet does the work in the pot, you can give a treat and pet the fur.
Decorative rabbits are very emotional and sensitive. Experienced owners know how and what to do with litter box training. They have patience beforehand.
If the rabbit sleeps in the litter box, the litter is the problem. She is too dirty or inappropriate to avoid contact, he goes to bed where she is not. There may be other reasons, to find out, observe the behavior of the pet.
How to choose a toilet
You need to choose the right tray, otherwise the pet may refuse to go there. The size of the toilet should be comfortable so as not to oppress the animal. If it is cramped for him, he will find himself another place for the fusion of needs. The edges must be smooth to eliminate the chance of injury. A healthy pet is very active and can easily get hurt.
A cat’s plastic litter box is often chosen for the rabbit. It is quite voluminous and has smooth sides. Especially suitable for dwarf breeds. In some trays there are rods, it is better to remove them so as not to create discomfort for the delicate pads of the paws.
Any vessel of suitable size can be used as a toilet. It should be more or less warm. Sometimes they use metal basins, in which case more filler is needed so that the animal does not feel the cold.
It is possible to train a rabbit to the toilet in an apartment only if it will be convenient for him there.
Suitable age for learning
It’s important to know when to start toilet training. Very young and old individuals will not understand what they want from them. Training begins a few days after weaning from mom. Basically, it is 40-50 days. At this age, the rabbits are quite independent and capable of learning.
Tray in the apartment
Decorative rabbits walk around the house during the day, only for the evening they are closed in a cage and even then not always. It is important to potty train your rabbit so that it knows where to go. If the tray is placed very close in the cage, then the house is very large, it will be more difficult to train to the toilet. In this case, several devices will be needed, they should be in every room. Mostly placed in the corners. If possible, observe the pet, which place he chooses for himself. Most likely, it will be a corner or an area near a wall. Be vigilant, if you miss a moment, you will have to do an unpleasant cleaning.
Choosing a place
You can train your pet to use the litter box, as it is naturally quite clean. In nature, an animal will never satisfy the need for its own burrow. At home, a closed space, the animal has nowhere to go. Accordingly, he chooses one place and visits it. You just need to look behind the animal, understand which place he chose, and install a tray there. Be patient, the rabbit will not go to the installed toilet immediately, first you need to get used to it.
How to train your rabbit to use the litter box at home
Rabbits are very intelligent animals and quickly figure out what they want from them. They can even be taught basic tricks. Traying your rabbit will be easy. It will take a little patience and effort though. But it’s worth it, the cage can be removed less often and the smell will not appear longer. Let’s talk about how you can train a rabbit to use a litter box in an apartment and a cage.
The rabbit refuses to go to the tray
Training does not always bring the desired result. If after two weeks it did not work out to accustom to the tray, you need to look for the source of the problem. There are several common reasons:
- During the mating season, a non-neutered rabbit is extremely difficult to tame.
- Inconvenient or too small tray. Pay attention to the placement of the animal on it, there should be a little space on all sides. It’s easier with dwarf rabbits in this regard.
- The problem is the filler, it smells bad.
- The space inside the cage is poorly organized and the pet is uncomfortable.
- If a trained furry refuses, he experiences stress. Just give a little time to calm down.
After choosing the right place, let’s return to the most important thing, training the rabbit to the litter box in the cage and apartment. First, let’s try to teach a decorative animal. Come up with a command that will signal the pet to go to your designated location. After installing the toilet, show it to the rabbit and repeat the command several times.
Let’s be honest, he won’t understand anything the first time. Let’s move on to training. Watch your subordinate carefully, wait when he wants to poop. As soon as it starts to take the desired position, gently pick it up in your hands and transfer it to the tray. Point your finger and repeat the command. After a few lessons, the rabbit will understand the lesson.
Not everyone has the time and desire to run after their pet and wait until he wants to poop. To train a rabbit to go to the toilet in one place, you need to collect his poop and take it there. Then take the animal and let it smell a new place. We do the same with urine, transfer part of the aroma to the tray. The training takes place quickly, in a few procedures the rabbit will learn how to use the toilet in the apartment. It is very important to completely remove the odor left in all other places.
What to do if a rabbit pees past the tray?
Very often the rabbit regularly runs to its toilet, sits down and pees past! There may be too much filler or low edges on the tray.
From the very beginning of litter box training, you need to keep a close eye on your rabbit to understand why he refuses to go to the designated area. There may be several reasons for this:
- inconvenient or small tray
- uncomfortable filler
- improperly organized rabbit dwelling
- a place chosen not by a rabbit, but by a person
It is worth paying attention to the fact that wild rabbits eat and relieve themselves at the same time. Therefore, we advise you to create the same conditions for your decorative rabbit. Place the sennik next to the tray. This will allow the animal to be closer to the natural conditions of its habitat, and you will speed up the process of training to the tray. Also, rabbits like to relieve themselves in secluded and darkened corners of the room / apartment / house.
Arrange several trays and give your rabbit the freedom to choose her toilet. Ultimately, most rabbits prefer one tray and the rest can then be removed. For two or more rabbits, it makes sense to leave several trays.
So, let’s look at this training in stages:
Second phase. Tray training
At the very beginning of training, give your rabbit a small area for walking around the enclosure. In the first couples, you should not let him go throughout the apartment, since traveling from room to room, the rabbit can simply mistake your house for a giant tray. Some rabbits catch quickly, others take longer. If the rabbit understands the purpose of the tray, feel free to increase the territory of his walks.
An important point! Never skip or reverse the following training steps:
- properly equip the rabbit’s home,
- do not release the rabbit at first without strict supervision,
- at first, set aside a small area for walking,
- patiently litter train your rabbit every day. Be persistent and do not rely on the independence of the rabbit, otherwise the result will not be achieved,
- having achieved the result, fix it. If the rabbit began to walk to its tray on its own, this does not mean that now it can be released in all rooms unattended. Such unexpected freedom can turn a rabbit’s head and make you forget all the lessons that you learned with such great difficulty.
Another helpful tip: Pour litter exclusively into the tray, not all over the enclosure.
The rabbit must learn to clearly distinguish between “toilet” and “dining room”. At the bottom of the cage, you can put, for example, a layer of straw.
Be sure to regularly, at least in the morning and in the evening, collect peas and urine outside the tray and transfer to the tray. If you already have one rabbit and you are tray-training a second newcomer, take some of the old-timer’s peas and put them in the newbie’s tray. He will immediately begin to “overlap” them!
At the very beginning of training, do not often change the litter and wash the tray. Let the rabbit get used to this place and its smell. After that, the tray can be washed every day. The duration of training for each rabbit is different. But in a week, you should already notice at least a little progress.!
How do I stop my rabbit pooping everywhere? | Rabbit Litter Training
When releasing your rabbit for a walk, put it in the tray every 10 minutes to help the animal develop a reflex. If you notice that your rabbit has made a puddle or pile outside the litter box, immediately plant it on the pot. And most importantly, reward the animal every time it uses the litter box! Treat your rabbit with his favorite treat.
Never scold a rabbit if it walks past the tray, it is absolutely useless. Just patiently plant it in the tray, repeating the same phrase, like “go to the pot!” stern voice.
Rabbit owners find that teaching a rabbit to write in a litter box is much easier than leaving all of its peas there. Therefore, you need to be patient and regularly monitor the animal. Avoid walking after meals. At the beginning of training, it is better to organize walks before breakfast and dinner. Another positive point: after a walk, it will not be difficult for you to lure the rabbit into the aviary. The rabbit will return there himself and with pleasure, feeling the approach of the time for a delicious breakfast or dinner.
Gradually, you will be able to increase the walking area without fear that the rabbit will forget about the pot. If you already have an adult rabbit, then it is not at all necessary to arrange several trays. Having understood and remembered where his toilet is, the rabbit will definitely return there, even if he is in another room. If he is still a toddler, then several trays are needed, since the crumb can get lost in the space of your apartment and not reach the conditional place.
If your first rabbit is litter-trained, then it will become a visual example for a beginner, and the process will go much faster.
How to train your rabbit to be litter and clean
How to train your rabbit to use the litter box? Is it possible to train a rabbit to the tray?
Warning: if you have adopted a bunny less than 3 months old, litter training will take longer than if you have an adult neutered bunny. During puberty (starting at 3 months), the bunny may stop going to its litter box. To achieve a stable result, you will have to wait until the rabbit matures and, most likely, apply neuter / neuter.
First stage. Tray selection
A simple cat litter box is ideal. If it seems too big for you, then perhaps the place (rabbit corner, aviary) that you have allocated for your rabbit is not spacious enough. In this case, we advise you to refer to the “Housing” section. With a cramped, improperly equipped “house”, all litter training will be in vain. A corner tray can also be used as long as it is large enough. The rabbit should be comfortable.
Is it true that the rabbit is naturally clean?
Very often people strongly doubt the natural cleanliness of a rabbit, observing his needs being served everywhere, but not in a specially purchased tray. In this case, two completely different concepts of “cleanliness” and “marking the territory” should not be confused.
Unlike other animals that live underground, rabbits do not have toilets in their burrows. They relieve themselves only by leaving the “home”. The rabbit digests very quickly, but it produces its peas only outside the burrow, for example, while searching for food. As for cecotrophs, they can appear when the rabbit is in the burrow. But this does not create problems, since the animal eats them right at the exit from the anus.
The rabbit will never urinate in the burrow, but exclusively on the surface. In nature, a few meters from the dwelling of wild rabbits, you can see a kind of rabbit toilets. But their burrow always remains spotlessly clean.
There are times when the rabbit categorically refuses to use the tray prepared for him, because he is in the wrong place for him (it is very difficult for a person to find a logical explanation for this). The rabbit can endure for a long time, as it is important for him to be in perfect order in the “hole”.
Another option is the instinct of marking a territory. Even a litter box rabbit can, under the influence of stress or hormones, mark territory. This process calms him down and means “this is my home.” This behavior can manifest itself after strangers come to visit you with or without animals. The rabbit marks when a new rabbit appears in the house. In this case, he denotes his territory in the same way as in nature, leaving small piles or mowing line of peas, or splashing urine. This process brings a lot of inconvenience to the owner.
A neutered rabbit living in a territory adapted for it does not need to be marked. If only the chin. He is balanced and does not feel the need to prove to himself that this is his home. He feels good here, he is not afraid of opponents or predators.
What to do if the rabbit does not go to the tray on its own?
Attach a sennik next to the tray. This will make the rabbit eat and peas at the same time.
What to do if a rabbit sleeps in a tray?
Some rabbits like to sleep in the litter box. If you are a clean owner, then this habit will not cause any problems. This may be a signal that the rabbit’s sleeping place is not comfortable enough. Try to arrange the rabbit “crib” differently.
How to train your rabbit to the litter box: choosing a location
These cute animals in the wild never relieve themselves in their own burrows, and therefore are considered very clean. In cages and open-air cages, rabbits always go to the toilet in the same place. Therefore, all the owners of the animal need to do to facilitate the task of toilet training is to spot it and place a litter box here. Perhaps, at first, the rabbit will not go to such a toilet. Animals are shy and suspicious. Therefore, it may take a little time for the animal to get used to a new, unfamiliar object in a cage. In any case, the owners will most likely have to gain patience.
At what age can you start potty training?
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to teach an adult animal to go to the toilet. It will not be possible to train a very small rabbit to use the tray. It is best to start training immediately after the pet is 1-1.5 months old. At this age, rabbits are already quite independent.
So, the pot is selected and installed in the right place. Now let’s take a look at how to litter train your rabbit quickly and easily. To make it clear to the animal where to go to defecate, you first need to decide on a few code words. This can be, for example, “toilet”, “here”, etc. Then you should put the tray in the chosen place. This is best done in full view of your pet. In this case, it is worth repeating the code word several times.
After the tray is installed, you need to start carefully observing the rabbit. Determining what the animal wants to use the toilet can be quite difficult. But if you take a closer look, most likely, you will still be able to catch the right moment. As soon as the rabbit sits down in order to urinate or defecate, it must be picked up (carefully, trying not to frighten) and transplanted into the tray, repeating the code words.
If you still cannot catch the necessary moment, the rabbit pellets left in the wrong place should be collected with a cloth and transferred to the tray. Then you need to take the rabbit itself, put it in the toilet and let it smell. The same goes for urine. It must be wiped off with a rag, also placed in the tray and allowed to smell by the animal. The place where the rabbit urinated should be thoroughly rinsed with vinegar. The smell must be completely removed. If he remains, the rabbit will continue to go to the toilet not in the tray, but in this place.
What is worth knowing
All the recommendations of experts on how to train a decorative rabbit to the tray boil down to the fact that the owners should be as patient as possible during the training process. In no case should you shout at the animal. Rabbits are very emotional animals. Therefore, screaming can only scare them and make them confused. Instead of punishing, reward is much more effective in toilet training. As soon as the animal understands what is required of him, and does his job in the tray, he must definitely be praised. You can also give your pet something tasty.
Of course, in no case should you beat the naughty rabbit. Unfortunately, the health of these animals is not very good. And even a not too strong blow can cause irreparable harm to their body. And therefore, when teaching a rabbit to a pot, the owners should be as patient and loyal as possible.
How to train your rabbit to walk in the tray: the choice of filler
It is best to pour large sawdust into the purchased cat litter box. over, only material from deciduous trees should be used. Such sawdust absorbs odor well, does not injure the paws of the animal and cannot cause any harm to its health. Under no circumstances should the cat litter be placed in the rabbit tray. The fact is that these animals love to taste everything. And therefore, granules impregnated with all sorts of odor-killing chemicals, an eared animal can simply be poisoned.
If the sawdust cannot be found, it is allowed to replace them with paper torn into small pieces, hay or straw. It is not worth using a newspaper as a filler. The reason is the same in this case. The rabbit will definitely taste it. Lead will certainly not be useful for his body.
How to train your rabbit to use the litter box
Rabbits are pretty smart and quick-witted animals. They are trainable, which is an added argument to keep a rabbit as a pet. Toilet training is relatively easy. Like any mammal, a rabbit simply needs to fulfill its physiological needs somewhere, so teaching a rabbit to walk in a tray is a very urgent task, especially given the strong smell from rabbit urine and feces. Rabbits are relatively clean animals and are well trained to manage their affairs in certain places. You just need to be patient and encourage the rabbit, not punish. Next step by step instructions on how to teach a rabbit to go to the toilet.
Start by placing the litter box in the cage where the rabbit urinates most and makes peas (usually one corner of the cage). You can transfer the soaked litter from the bottom of the cage to the tray so that the rabbit smells the “toilet” and quickly understands what the tray is for. As the bunny does in the tray, praise him. After several times, the rabbit should already guess what this “rectangular thing” is for.
After the cage, start training your rabbit to use the free litter box in your apartment. Even if the rabbit is in the same number, it is better to have several trays placed in the places where the rabbit is.
Sit with your rabbit in a small space and place the litter box in a corner. Put hay in the tray, place the rabbit there. Wait for him to do something, praise the rabbit.
The rabbit will not sit in the tray for a long time, do not force it. If the rabbit has urinated on the carpet, wipe off the urine with a rag and put the rag in the tray. Bring your rabbit, put it in the tray and let him sniff the rag in the tray. You can also say “toilet” or other words.
If your rabbit has put peas on the carpet, place them in the tray. And again put the rabbit there, let him smell his feces, saying “toilet” or other words.
Observe the rabbit, as soon as he is about to do something like that, say no, pick up the rabbit and put it in the tray.
Of course, it makes sense to put the “used” bedding with a smell in the tray from the cage, give the rabbit a sniff, so that he understands that this is his corner for the toilet.
Repeat this from day to day, and the rabbit will learn to do it on its own.
Praise your rabbit for using the tray as intended.
Litter Training Rabbits 101
Recommendations, useful tips
Do not scold, and especially do not hit the rabbit if he sprayed urine in the wrong place. Rabbits react very emotionally to this, it is more effective to apply the carrot method to them, rather than the stick.
The older the rabbit, the easier it is to train it to the litter box.
Rabbits are easier to tame if you put everything in the system. feed and perform all procedures on a schedule.
You can use white vinegar to remove rabbit urine stains.
The filler for the tray can be sawdust, shavings, pieces of newspaper, straw, oats, etc. Some combine using paper underneath, straw on top.
You cannot put conifers for a rabbit’s toilet (their fumes are harmful to a rabbit), fillers, deodorizing crystals for cats, dogs (rabbits love to chew the contents of the tray and are likely to be poisoned), newspaper ink can also be completely unhelpful for a rabbit, clay, sand, etc. other fine-grained material can damage the respiratory tract of the rabbit.
If possible, the rabbit’s cage should be large enough to fit a tray. toilet.
Change the litter box. the toilet is necessary every day.
After a while, the rabbit may forget the science of using the toilet, if necessary, teach him again.
Rabbit feces can be used as fertilizer.
Remember that, despite all your efforts and good manners, the rabbit will sometimes spray urine and make peas throughout the apartment. It is in rabbits deeply inherent in nature. to mark the territory. From about four to five months, the rabbit grows up, and hormones begin to play in it, which leads to the rabbit behaving a little aggressively, climbing on everything that moves and does not move, spraying foul-smelling urine everywhere.
Neutering / neutering a rabbit can solve the above problem. The operation on the rabbit unambiguously changes its behavior. Rabbits become much cleaner, more tame. Sometimes immediately, and sometimes several weeks after the operation, the rabbits stop spraying urine and scattering peas. After castration, rabbits are very quickly tamed to the toilet. a litter box. You can read about castration / sterilization, pros and cons in this article.
To reduce the rabbit’s desire to mark territory, it is necessary to make the rabbit the real host of the cage. Do not do anything that shakes his self-confidence, does not like him (do not forcefully get out of the cage; do not clean the cage while the rabbit is in it; do not punish him by locking him in the cage so as not to turn it into a prison, etc.).
If a person has already dealt with instilling such skills in other animals: cats, dogs, chinchillas, guinea pigs, etc., then this will not cause him much difficulty in the case of eared ones, but beginners are advised not to forget about basic hygiene rules keeping rabbits. Helpful hints:
- It is better to change the filler in the pot every 2 days. Maximum. once a week. This will not lead to unsanitary conditions and will not scare away the animal, because rabbits are very clean and do not go to dirty trays.
- When releasing your pet for a walk around the apartment, you need to decide: whether additional trays will be equipped on its territory. If not, then if the rabbit wants to defecate, it must be immediately transferred to the tray so that it gets used to it.
- The best location for the feces bowl will be the same place where it was at the breeder.
- When buying a rabbit with a cage, the future owner should ask the seller for a small amount of litter from the tray, to which he is used to, so that the rabbit does not get confused later.
- It is better if only one person will be engaged in training a decorative rabbit to the tray.
- These animals love to relieve themselves while eating. You shouldn’t be scared or scolded by the pet, you just need to transfer it to the tray or throw out the animal’s feces.
- To enrich your knowledge base, you can study additional literature or watch a video on the Internet. If you can’t cope on your own, you can turn to the breeder for help.
- Living only behind bars, the animals become withdrawn and dull. Therefore, they just need to sometimes get out to freedom and explore new horizons.
To teach a rabbit to go to a specific location, you need to be patient. In no case should you swear or shout at the animal, and it is better to replace punishment for wrong actions with rewards for the successes done. The most important thing for training a pet to a litter box in an apartment:
- Decide and choose one or more code words (“toilet”, “place”, etc.) to teach the rabbit to understand where he should go to relieve himself.
- Install a vessel in full view of the animal, constantly repeating the code words at this time.
- Observe the behavior of the animal and, identifying the moment when it wants to defecate, carefully, without frightening, pick it up and transplant it into the prepared tray, while saying the code word again.
- It is very difficult to determine the moment when it will feel like it, so you should not despair. The owner can take the pet’s feces and put them in the tray, then put the rabbit there and let him smell it. The same should be done with urine: wipe with a cloth, and then put it in the tray. It is important that there is no smell left in the wrong place of bowel movement, otherwise the animal will perceive it as a necessary place of dislocation.
- It is recommended to praise your pets when they go to the right place. To do this, you can give them your favorite sweets and delicacies.
- Training can begin at the age of one and a half months of the rabbit’s age. It is more difficult to potty train completely adults or not yet independent babies.
- Sometimes it can happen that a trained pet stops walking to the right place. This can be due to two factors: pregnancy and puberty. In the first case, you just need to be patient and after giving birth, immediately start retraining the animal. In the second case, things are more complicated, and sometimes only castration can help, because rabbits do not just go to the toilet everywhere during this period: they attract the opposite sex.
The process of training itself is not difficult, and teaching a decorative rabbit to go to a certain place is no more difficult than taming a cat or a dog to the same. It is important to just be patient and sincere to do it.
Love for a pet is also very important: the animal feels an attitude towards it and absorbs information much better when the training process is carried out with love and patience.
How to choose the right tray
Choosing a new toilet for the animal will not be difficult if you clearly know the requirements put forward for it. A properly selected tray is already 90% of success in animal training. What you should pay attention to when choosing a vessel:
- Rabbit trays should be comfortable and spacious enough so that the animal can freely relieve itself and bury its tracks. If the litter box is too narrow and cramped, the pet will simply refuse to walk in it.
- It is better to avoid acute-angled containers in order to prevent injury to the animals, because rabbits are animals that constantly jump and cannot sit still. Sharp corners can seriously harm your pet’s health.
- You don’t have to reinvent the wheel by deciding again how to train your rabbit to the litter box, and just buy a cat litter box with a special grate. They are spacious enough and comfortable for cats, which means that it is much easier to train a rabbit to a litter box of this type. An important aspect in this case concerns the interaction of the animal with the lattice. It is better to take it out, since its rods put pressure on the delicate paws, as a result of which the animal can get injured or simply refuse to relieve itself in a certain place.
- In extreme cases, you can build a toilet for the animal with your own hands. To do this, you can use an ordinary metal basin (it is important that the corner sector is rounded to avoid injury). But when choosing this particular method, the owner must take care of the room temperature so that the cooled metal does not scare away the pet.
To train a decorative rabbit to the tray, it is not enough just to choose the right pot. Experienced breeders know that toilet training becomes much easier with the right choice of litter.
Rules for choosing a tray, filler and location
This must be taken care of at the initial stage of training, otherwise the process will go wrong.
How do you choose this filler? Should it be flavored or not? Is it better to take sand in granules? Sawdust, maybe? About all the intricacies of the selection of filling in an animal pot in order and in detail:
- the best option for filling the tray in an apartment is sawdust;
- it is better to choose deciduous trees, because the sawdust of these plants absorbs moisture and unpleasant odors well, and also cannot injure the animal’s sensitive legs;
- cat litter is better for cats and leave: rabbits love to try everything, so the likelihood of poisoning pets with granules with chemicals increases significantly;
- sawdust, if it is impossible to get them, can be completely replaced with paper, hay or straw;
- it is allowed to use clean paper, and not newspapers with printing ink, which can also be harmful to health when ingested.
If nothing repels the good sense of smell of the eared, they quickly learn and then go to the toilet in an organized way throughout their lives.
Ways to train your rabbit to the litter box
People are responsible for their pets: their food, sleep, habitat and general health. Sometimes pets can bring inconvenience to their owners, for example, if they do not have a specific place for a toilet. So the question arises: how to train a rabbit to the tray? This must be done so that the animal feels more comfortable being in the cage. And it is much easier for the owners to clean too.
How should litter training take place and what is needed for this? First, an important aspect is the selection of the correct tray, its location, filler and temperature in the house. And secondly, in order for the pet to get used to the new toilet, it needs to be trained. For this, the owner should be patient, although rabbits are intelligent animals and amenable to the training process no worse than dogs and cats.
The answer to the question of whether it is possible to train a rabbit to the tray is positive: it is possible and necessary. The main thing is patience and love for your pet.
The rabbit thinks the tray is in the wrong place.
It is very difficult for a person to understand what logic the animal is guided by when choosing a toilet. We can only say for sure that they like to relieve themselves in dark places, most often corners.
At first, it makes sense to place the trays in several corners. Your pet will go to several litter boxes at first, but in the end it will prefer one toilet, which is most suitable.
Preparing the tray
Even the smartest eared eared will not learn to walk on too small a tray. The same goes for the cell. In a cramped cage, the animal will not feel comfortable and will not learn to cope with the need in an established place.
A regular plastic cat litter box will do. hygienic option. special tray with mesh.
Teaching the rabbit to walk on the tray
Rabbits are naturally very clean animals. Unlike other rodents, they never relieve themselves in their burrow. And this despite the peculiarities of their digestion.
The digestive system in rabbits is very weak. For food to pass through the food channels, it must enter the body constantly. And since there is no bottomless well inside the little animal, he must constantly cope with the need. However, the rabbit holes are always spotlessly clean.
Anyone who wants to learn how to litter a rabbit should keep these things in mind and be patient. Then everything will work out for sure!
The rabbit got used to the old place
Breeders always teach rabbits to go to the litter box. And breaking the habit of old habits is sometimes very difficult.
In order for the animal to quickly settle in a new place, you need to take a little filler or hay from the old habitat. Smelling a familiar scent will make your rabbit feel confident and calm.
The rabbit does not feel comfortable
The rabbit only leaves its peas in the tray, but urinates all over the cage. This happens if the animal is treated carelessly. He does not feel himself the master of his burrow and therefore marks the territory.
Solution: Treat him gently and respectfully. You should not force him to anything, get him out of the cage against his will, or, conversely, lock him up. The cage should be a home for the rabbit.
Tray in the house
If the rabbit regularly goes to the toilet in the cage, do not rush and let him go for a walk around the house. He may go too far and completely forget everything he was taught.
You can gradually expand the walking area.
Why doesn’t the rabbit go to the tray?
Rabbits are very clean animals and you can train them to the toilet quickly enough. If he flatly refuses to relieve himself in an established place, the reasons may be as follows: